PDA

View Full Version : Vince Limps, Mario Hurts More

real
10-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Buck Harvey
San Antonio Express-News

Vince Young is day-to-day.
That means the Texans are, too.

That means the Texans will be checking the daily injury report on Young this week. His pain could alleviate theirs.

After all, if Young's quadriceps injury keeps him from playing Sunday in Houston or keeps him from playing well then the Texans can escape what embarrassed them last year in this same game.

But sore quads can't heal everything in Houston. The Texans' loss Sunday in Jacksonville presented another Mario Williams highlight show without highlights. Then, he played as if coached by Dennis Franchione, turning invisible as the Jaguars averaged almost 10 yards a carry in the second half.

And Mario was healthy.

Texans management would like to think it is past the 2006 draft, and the players certainly are. Even when under pressure in Jacksonville, Matt Schaub showed the signs of someone worth the contract and support.

Mario, last season's 6-foot-7 lightning rod of criticism, certainly hoped to be past this, too. In the opener against Kansas City, he picked up a fumble and scored a touchdown, and he finished with two sacks to help beat the Chiefs.

He ran off the field that day with the football, clearly feeling better about his life in Houston. A reporter afterward pointed out to Williams that, after one game, he had more touchdowns than Reggie Bush.

"I didn't think about that," Williams said, laughing. "There you go."

Mostly he was humble, and he should have been. The fumble he picked up, after all, was caused by a teammate. Mario's job was to simply run 38 yards for the touchdown.

So Mario chose to credit a new direction of the Houston defense, as well as emphasize that work still had to be done. "Today was just a start," he said then.

That day was an end, too. Mario has had one sack since, and the Texans have now lost three of four, the last one by 20 points. Just as he wanted to credit his teammates after the opener, they were with him Sunday, too. The Texans, having spent four first-round draft picks on defensive linemen in their short history, gave up 244 rushing yards.

"When you run the ball for nine-point-something yards a carry in this league, you're kicking somebody's tail," coach Gary Kubiak said afterward. "That was ours they were kicking."

Mario's tail was notably uninvolved, and that was his reputation in college. He didn't spread out his sacks over a season; he got them in a couple of games when the inspiration and matchups came together.

Jacksonville showed what happens when he meets a sturdy offensive line. Now some in Houston are wondering if it wouldn't be better to plant Mario in the middle of the line where he could at least take up space. That's not much production from a No. 1 pick.

As for Bush, who Mario outscored on opening day: On Sunday, he finished with a season-high 97 rushing yards and another 44 yards on six receptions.

As a New Orleans columnist wrote, Bush made it look "as easy as we imagined he always would make it look when he was drafted."

Still, that was the Saints' first win of the season. No one cares about that in Houston. And in any other week, against any other team, the Texans would adjust and try to correct what they did wrong in Jacksonville.

But this isn't any other week against any other team. Vince makes his annual return to his hometown, and that brings back memories of what the Texans did and didn't do.

The Titans lost last week, too, and Vince added to that. His interception stopped a Tennessee drive, and the Titans went scoreless in the first half.

But he also sat out most of the second half in a close game, benched by the quad injury. As everyone knows, the second half is when Young is at his best.

That was true last year in Houston, when Young sprinted in with the winning touchdown. And now comes Sunday, with all the same questions in play again.

Day-to-day?

As long as Mario is what he is, this is year-to-year.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA101607BuckHarvey.EN.34058a5.html

Mr teX
10-16-2007, 08:59 AM
You can pretty much pencil vince in to play this week, i don't see why everyone is hopeful that he isn't going to play.

Texan_Bill
10-16-2007, 09:02 AM
Personally, not only do I hope he plays - but I want him to be 100%.

Leahmic223
10-16-2007, 09:08 AM
What a Mario bash that report was.

Almost as if this writer is blaming the losses completely on Mario. Its sad because the guy has so much pressure on him he is never going to succeed in some people eyes.

The fact that he said Mario doesn't have a highlight reel is funny...how many defensive players do? Oh wait thats right...hardly any and if you do see one than its over their career and not a game. This guy obviously expects him to blow past guys every play and pressure the QB every play when no DE in the NFL can do that.

Yes he did turn invisible...so did about 10 other guys on the defense alongside with him.

Its funny he talks about Bush's one good game on the ground...as of right now his only good game on ground since his career. When will people get over it, we didn't draft Reggie we didn't draft Vince, Mario has been improving just like those other two guys but its like he's on a shorter leash.

As for VY, I hope he plays. Because I want to see his face when one of our guys slam him to the ground.

real
10-16-2007, 09:16 AM
I want VY to play...

Vinny
10-16-2007, 09:39 AM

Almost as if this writer is blaming the losses completely on Mario. Its sad because the guy has so much pressure on him he is never going to succeed in some people eyes.

The fact that he said Mario doesn't have a highlight reel is funny...how many defensive players do? Oh wait thats right...hardly any and if you do see one than its over their career and not a game. This guy obviously expects him to blow past guys every play and pressure the QB every play when no DE in the NFL can do that.

Yes he did turn invisible...so did about 10 other guys on the defense alongside with him.

Its funny he talks about Bush's one good game on the ground...as of right now his only good game on ground since his career. When will people get over it, we didn't draft Reggie we didn't draft Vince, Mario has been improving just like those other two guys but its like he's on a shorter leash.

As for VY, I hope he plays. Because I want to see his face when one of our guys slam him to the ground.
Mario isn't very good when run right at. He is a much better player when the play is away from him and he is flowing to the ball cutting off the cut back. That's probably a backhanded compliment though.

Ole Miss Texan
10-16-2007, 09:39 AM
Wow, what a mario bash is right.

I find it funny how people disregard his FR for a TD. Saying he didn't do any work and was just in the right place at the right time. I def. would like to seem him forcing those fumbles, but the defense is taught to follow the ball carrier and swarm him. That way if/when he fumbles- we will have a better chance on falling on it and recovering it. Mario had a heads up play, he's always running towards the ball carrier and he jumped on it, covered it up, and got us possesion. Then realized noone touched him and ran it in.

Mario deserves credit...he did exactly what he was being taught and expected to do.

And In Bush's break out performance of the season...he still didn't have over 100 yards rushing as the primary RB and didn't have a TD, running or receiving!

gjmac2
10-16-2007, 09:45 AM
I hope Vince plays as well. Last thing I want to hear is "Well, the Texans won on Sunday, but that was because Vince Young did not play."

I want the Titans best effort. If the Texans best is not good enough to beat the Titans best, so be it.

dickieb
10-16-2007, 09:51 AM
If vince plays, I'm predicting a career day for Faggins. He will have at least 3 picks. Our whole secondary will look pro bowl worthy! Come on VY rub some dirt on it and play, hell Mario did that all last year.

PapaL
10-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Well hopefully he gets P.O.'d again and plays like he did earlier in the season. After all, an upset Mario is a Super Mario.

disaacks3
10-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Well hopefully he gets P.O.'d again and plays like he did earlier in the season. After all, an upset Mario is a Super Mario. Sounds about right.

Mario's primary job is to be an outside pass rusher (as a 4-3 DE), when the play funnels back inside or is away from him, it's simply not HIS play to make. Gotta love that lack of analysis from a S.A. writer who's obviously not given up on his VY crush.

GlassHalfFull
10-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Well hopefully he gets P.O.'d again and plays like he did earlier in the season. After all, an upset Mario is a Super Mario.

Tape this article to the front of his locker. That should take care of getting him P.0.'d.:d:

nunusguy
10-16-2007, 10:46 AM
"As for Bush, who Mario outscored on opening day: On Sunday, he finished with a season-high 97 rushing yards and another 44 yards on six receptions.
As a New Orleans columnist wrote, Bush made it look "as easy as we imagined he always would make it look when he was drafted."
That's laughable ! Maurice Drew-Jones (Bushs former cross-town rival in college and another back in last years Draft) had more yards than Bush even though he shared running duties with Fred Taylor while Bush was the starter for the Saints.
And if the NOLA columnists wants to see a player who makes it as easy as "we imagined", he needs to watch the guy with the Vikes from Palestine.
Bush is not even in the same category as AD.
Mario does lack consistancy and needs lots of work on his techniques, but I'm well past any doubts about him being a better pick than Bush.

BigBull17
10-16-2007, 11:32 AM

I agree its a bash, but Mario got blocked repeatedly by a wide reciever in the 2nd half. No excuse for that to ever happen to a DE. And it wasnt a cut or anything fancy, it was a hook block. This was his worst game of the season and Im a little disappointed in how the whole D played. But, its just one of those games teams have.

thunderkyss
10-16-2007, 11:57 AM
It's not like we chose Mario over Vince Young anyway.

We chose David Carr over Vince.

The Matt Schaub trade pretty much says we screwed the pooch on that one.

gtexan02
10-16-2007, 12:07 PM
Lets face it, both Williams and Bush have been severe disapointments thus far.

Williams is not a good pass rusher. He flashes brilliance here and there, but is highly inconsistent. He's also not that strong against the run. In the Dolphins game, I watched the Dolphins run over Williams side all game long. Remember the long Jones Drew run where Reggie Williams set a block on MW? He got completely manhandled by a tall, thin, WR

He still has physical gifts, but his nfl skill is not 1st round 1st pick worthy yet. You have to give rookies 2-3 years before labeling them anything, and while MWs production may prevent him from ever being labeled a "bust" he still has a LONG way to go before he's labeled the right selection

The Dream
10-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Almost as if this writer is blaming the losses completely on Mario

he didn't say that, he just stated that Mario has been horrible for a # 1 pick..........................which I think we all can agree on.

real
10-16-2007, 12:12 PM
Mario is not a RDE and never will be.

That is the problem.

Porky
10-16-2007, 12:15 PM
It's not a Mario Bash, it's a Mario Truth. Big difference. He has had exactly one game in his 20 some odd game career where he started to at least approach his supposed potential.

Silver Oak
10-16-2007, 12:19 PM
Julius Peppers just got his first sack of the season this past week, and yet it barely makes news.

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, and in my eyes, what Mario is enduring with this b.s., is going to make him a hell of a tough player.

The Dream
10-16-2007, 12:23 PM
Julius Peppers just got his first sack of the season this past week, and yet it barely makes news.

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, and in my eyes, what Mario is enduring with this b.s., is going to make him a hell of a tough player.

but Julius Peppers is proven...Mario isn't.............there's a big difference.

real
10-16-2007, 12:26 PM
This is actually the first I'm hearing of Mario getting owned by a reciever...

I didn't see it myself, but if this is true then that is really poor...

The Dream
10-16-2007, 12:31 PM
to be honest I've stopped paying attention to mario on the field, because I've come to expect nothing from him...............

Spled
10-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Bush averaged 3.6 yards per carry last year. He's averaging 3.5 this year. Why is it exactly that he's supposed to be so much better than Mario?

The Dream
10-16-2007, 12:35 PM
my expectations for mario:
3 sacks every game. at least 3.
2 fumble returns.
getting elected president of south korea.
heal the sick.
feed the poor.
world peace.

Only Vince can peform God like acts...........and you know this maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!

The1ApplePie
10-16-2007, 01:10 PM
It's not a Mario Bash, it's a Mario Truth. Big difference. He has had exactly one game in his 20 some odd game career where he started to at least approach his supposed potential.

Yep

1st overall pick getting pancaked by a bust of a WR that he outweighs by about 90 pounds is a joke.

People can ***** about YPC all they want (and always forget catches) but Bush carried his team Sunday Night. Reggie is pissed and he is starting to become a leader, and he was running the ball damn well up the middle last time I checked.

How much better would the offense be with Bush this year and how worse would the D be without Mario?

Bush haters said:
Bush would suck without Duece, he can't run up the middle. So far, he's been good and has no problem taking it up the middle

Mario lovers:
When Mario isn't being double teamed, he will be a monster! Well, now Amobi is drawing the double teams, and what has Mario done?

Specnatz
10-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Yep

1st overall pick getting pancaked by a bust of a WR that he outweighs by about 90 pounds is a joke.

People can ***** about YPC all they want (and always forget catches) but Bush carried his team Sunday Night. Reggie is pissed and he is starting to become a leader, and he was running the ball damn well up the middle last time I checked.

How much better would the offense be with Bush this year and how worse would the D be without Mario?

Bush haters said:
Bush would suck without Duece, he can't run up the middle. So far, he's been good and has no problem taking it up the middle

Mario lovers:
When Mario isn't being double teamed, he will be a monster! Well, now Amobi is drawing the double teams, and what has Mario done?

So one game makes Bush a leader, well at least your consistant. You have kept your mouth shut all year until this one game and nowing it is flowing like a busted ceptic tank. When did one game make a person a leader?

Texan_Bill
10-16-2007, 01:30 PM
LMAO..

Newsflash: Bush had an okay game, but it was NOT spectacular. His first ever in 20 games as a pro. Remember, he was supposed to be an impact player – at a ‘skill position’. I thought, he already had his ticket in hand to Canton.

So, the Saints got a player that has an okay performance every 20 games?!?! Nice. So glad we jumped all over that. The debate is over. The Texans did the right thing by NOT drafting Reggie Bush... What a joke.

Long story short, I would rather spend approximately $ 60 million on a piece of defensive puzzle (meaning the sum of the parts) over a bust who was not only supposed to be the face of the franchise, but the face of the NFL... and yet, in essence hasn't provided squat.

beerlover
10-16-2007, 01:40 PM
my take:

you can't control what others do (Reggie, VY) only worry about your own production.

Mario Williams needs help, his primary ace in the hole so far has been Amobi Okoye but Jacksonville did a very smart thing they double teamed Okoye & let Mario go one on one with their fine young tackle Kahlif Barnes (underrated out of Washington 2nd rd.). this week its going to be another young stud LT Michael Roos (2nd rd. Eastern Washington).

Marios main problem is that he presents a big target, not to mention the hype of being the #1 overall pick so these young tackles really gear up their games to meet the challenge & use it as a gauge of their value to the team. its a huge win for a team to nullify a talent like Mario, sucks to be him. now we've talked about this in other threads but he needs help over the top, meaning a safety or LB coming on more blitz situations while he disengages his blocker. its a team game & he's a team player don't expect him to be successful if you leave him out on an island just because he was such a high pick, that does nothing but hurt him more.

The1ApplePie
10-16-2007, 01:50 PM
So one game makes Bush a leader, well at least your consistant. You have kept your mouth shut all year until this one game and nowing it is flowing like a busted ceptic tank. When did one game make a person a leader?

Bush has had about 6 great games as a Pro
Mario has had 1

Bush took them on his back Sunday night, so yeah that makes him a leader. So far Mario does a good job of riding Amboi's and DeMeco's coat tails but has yet to lead anything.

PapaL
10-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Tape this article to the front of his locker. That should take care of getting him P.0.'d.:d:

And on the water bottles, athletic tape on his ankles, and oh don't forget the towels. Maybe we could even get it scrolling on a marque somewhere.

Texan_Bill
10-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Mario has had 1

Bush took them on his back Sunday night, so yeah that makes him a leader. So far Mario does a good job of riding Amboi's and DeMeco's coat tails but has yet to lead anything.

A) That's extremely subjective. One could say that Mario has had one great game and a few pretty good games while Bush has had 1 decent game.

B) If that's 'carrying' a team on your back, then the Saints are actually in worse shape than I thought. Take a look at running backs that have 'carried their team on their back' and in most every case, they have rushed for more than 97 yards. 97 yards?!?! I can remember periods where that was Emmitt's per game average, not his all-time high.

76Texan
10-16-2007, 02:26 PM
1-10-NO 35 (11:13) 25-R.Bush up the middle to SEA 43 for 22 yards (25-B.Russell).

2-10-SEA 35 (1:17) 25-R.Bush up the middle to SEA 16 for 19 yards (23-M.Trufant).

1-15-SEA 21 (:18) 25-R.Bush up the middle to SEA 20 for 1 yard (51-L.Tatupu).

1-10-SEA 15 (:45) 25-R.Bush up the middle to SEA 13 for 2 yards (59-J.Peterson). FUMBLES (59-J.Peterson), RECOVERED by SEA-98-B.Atkins at SEA 12. 98-B.Atkins to SEA 12 for no gain (78-J.Stinchcomb

1-10-SEA 41 (6:38) 25-R.Bush up the middle to SEA 39 for 2 yards (92-B.Mebane).
2-8-SEA 39 (5:56) 25-R.Bush up the middle to SEA 40 for -1 yards (92-B.Mebane).

Is that your definition of successful running between tackles, PieMan?

Texans_Chick
10-16-2007, 02:48 PM
San Antonio papers hate the Texans for not picking Vince. And they adore the Cowboys.

So basically, if you read anything positive about the Texans in a SA paper, it's a shock.

Specnatz
10-16-2007, 03:55 PM
San Antonio papers hate the Texans for not picking Vince. And they adore the Cowboys.

So basically, if you read anything positive about the Texans in a SA paper, it's a shock.

Same goes for Austin.

Texan_Bill
10-16-2007, 05:19 PM
reggie bush sucks!

Care to prove that?!?!

:stirpot:

Leahmic223
10-16-2007, 06:45 PM

Ha!

I knew once Reggie had ONE GOOD GAME as a RB he'd show up to trash Mario Williams. Apple was gone since the Chiefs game where Mario had a good day, and whether he likes it or not Mario has had a better year thus far than Reggie.

Funny how he says Mario has had one good game, when we know he ad 3 good games last season and IMO 3 good games this season as well. He just needs to be consistent.

And here I go, i'm going to let the secret out to all the Mario Haters.

Consistency is the biggest obstacle for young players. Period.

Vince Young as a problem with it, Reggie has a problem with it, only those break out fantastic rookies can come in the NFL and produce consistently.

Apple where was you when the whole nation was calling Reggie Bush a bust?

Its funny because VY can throw 3 INTs, for a whole season or two before they call him bust. Bush can averyage 2 ypc a whole season or two before they lable him a bust. But Mario can have one bad game... even after coming off a game where he did good...and everyone is on his back. Its because they don't understand you don't judge DEs by how many sacks they have.
Michael Strahan is doing good this season yet he has a sack and a half. Strahan is pressuring the QB, and looking young and fresh and i've seen about 3 Giants game. Thing is Mario has improved vastly but people look at his sack number and say "OMG he doesn't have 15 yet...WTF is he doing, OMG he doesn't even have a highlight reel...wow what a bust."

Yeah while the guy trashed Mario he forgot to trash DeMeco and Amobi, and Dunta, and every man on that defense for coming out the second half and stinking it up.

BigBull17
10-16-2007, 07:04 PM
Mario has had 1

I wouldnt say thats true. Hes had games where the stats dont always show how good he played. As a D end, he wont always have the sexy numbers to show he was a force. Hes done that on more than one game.

Leahmic223
10-16-2007, 07:09 PM
I wouldnt say thats true. Hes had games where the stats dont always show how good he played. As a D end, he wont always have the sexy numbers to show he was a force. Hes dont that on more than one game.

Man stop trying with Apple. He has a mancrush on Reggie Bush, and Mario got in the way of Bush playing for his favorite team. I was thinking as a Texan fan that Apple would just support Mario and take off his Bush shades sooner or later but it hasn't happened yet. The second Mario screws up Apple is the first one to tell everyone here how Mario was a bust.

shinerbock_girl
10-16-2007, 07:14 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA101607BuckHarvey.EN.34058a5.html

Figures Harvey would be a Vince homer, i never liked that guy.....

Napa Auto Parts
10-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Cant disagree with the article at all. i actually hope VY Sits ill take a win anyway i can get one. i dont want him schooling mario again.

BigBull17
10-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Cant disagree with the article at all i acutally hope VY ill take a win anyway i can get one. i dont want thim schooling mario again.

VY didnt really school Mario last year. If I recall, Mario made a great play to get a sack on a screen. Vince schooled the D on a play where his lineman tackled peple who had a chance to make the play.

Silver Oak
10-17-2007, 03:30 PM
Didn't Mario sack vy in Nashville last year?

I like his chances for more of same this Sunday.

real
10-17-2007, 03:31 PM
I don't disagree with the article as far as Mario's play is concerned, but I just think it's a little pre-mature...

It's almost as if he as seen the rest of Mario's seson in advance...

Double Barrel
10-17-2007, 03:33 PM
VY didnt really school Mario last year. If I recall, Mario made a great play to get a sack on a screen. Vince schooled the D on a play where his lineman tackled peple who had a chance to make the play.

If only Richard Smith hadn't called a blitz on third and long!... :brickwall:

Vinny
10-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Didn't Mario sack vy in Nashville last year?

I like his chances for more of same this Sunday.yep, and it's a good thing he didn't get any penetration or VY wouldn't have run into him as he was flushed out of the pocket trying to get away from someone who was creating pressure.

real
10-17-2007, 03:53 PM
lol

Silver Oak
10-17-2007, 04:57 PM
yep, and it's a good thing he didn't get any penetration or VY wouldn't have run into him as he was flushed out of the pocket trying to get away from someone who was creating pressure.

You cloaked your reply in too much b.s. Vinny.

Are you saying Mario didn't earn and deserve a sack?

The1ApplePie
10-17-2007, 09:43 PM

Isn't that the sack for a half yard loss where Mario ankle tackled VY on the line of scrimage?

Napa Auto Parts
10-18-2007, 12:00 AM
Thats one thing about our homers they are Loyal even the most depressed mario homer we got would say Mario has done more in the NFL than VY. im a texan fan im just not Blind.

Napa Auto Parts
10-18-2007, 12:05 AM
I wonder if R.Smith would of been the GM of the texans with he's own Scouts. if he would of picked Mario Personally i think he would of traded Down but who knows sometime's i just feel Mario was the Last Stick it up your Arse Gift From Charlie Casserly.:gun:

We all knew he was getting fired he's house had been on the market for about 5 months prior to him leaving.

Vinny
10-18-2007, 12:17 AM

I didn't cloak it and it wasn't bs....look at the play. He deserved the sack, but it was only because VY was running from the pressure. Mario wasn't applying the pressure, he was at the line of scrimmage getting whipped by his man. Young was flushed to him and running with the ball by then...it was a sack only because it was a one yard loss. Whomever flushed VY to Mario deserves the bulk of the praise for that play.

TexasOutlaw
10-18-2007, 12:34 AM
To think we could have had the leagues 26th rated passer. That 68.00 passer rating is the envy of the 34 QB rated below him. And that 140 yards per game has my head spinning.

I hope he starts we have a better chance with him in the game.

Leahmic223
10-18-2007, 03:31 AM
Thats one thing about our homers they are Loyal even the most depressed mario homer we got would say Mario has done more in the NFL than VY. im a texan fan im just not Blind.

You are also ignoring the people that blindly hate on Mario because he got in the way of us getting either Reggie Bush or VY. So to them Mario has to have 5 sacks a game to prove his worth, he can't make no mistakes, and he has to be the best DE in the NFL by year two. Yet they hop on Mario's inconsistencies and ignore Bush's or Young's and every other young player in the NFL.

I don't know about that whole Mario hasn't done more in the NFL than VY.
VY won ROY i'll give him that, but hasn't our defense as a whole IMPROVED with Mario? Isn't Mario one of the reasons our defense improved? I keep hearing from the media when they talk about our young and potentially good front seven I hear three names everytime. Amobi, Demeco, and Mario.

Its funny because at the start of the season people were all hyped about Mario, so he's had about 3 bad games and it almost feels like people are ready to put the bust label back on him and go back to comparing him to Bush and VY.

brickman
10-18-2007, 06:34 AM

I agree! We've gota couple of young studs on the d-line that are going to grow into monsters. Give them time. We're just starting the climb up the ladder. Enjoy the flashes of brilliance the whole team gives us this year and get ready for steady improvement, year after year. Kubes and the boys are doing it the right way.... give them time.

TheRealJoker
10-18-2007, 06:54 AM
Young scolded reporters for hyping a regular season game too much.

"That's in the past now. That game happened last year. That's what everybody wanted to see. There's a whole different team over there. ... It's not all about Vince Young going against the Texans. I'm just tired of hearing that right now," Young said.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8035b587&template=with-video&confirm=true

Silver Oak
10-18-2007, 07:04 AM
Young scolded reporters for hyping a regular season game too much.

"That's in the past now. That game happened last year. That's what everybody wanted to see. There's a whole different team over there. ... It's not all about Vince Young going against the Texans. I'm just tired of hearing that right now," Young said.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8035b587&template=with-video&confirm=true

Sorry to say Uncle Rico, the moment you ripped off your helmet and begin yelling that Reliant was your "house" at the top of your lungs...well, this game to me will never be just a regular season game.

Texan_Bill
10-18-2007, 09:32 AM
VY versus Mario discussions are lame. It's like comparing a goalies stats to a center's stats in hockey. It just doesn't fit. Very few D-lineman have come in and made 10+ sacks in their rookie year - which seems to be what Mario is judged upon. Newsflash: Reggie White and Julius Peppers are the exceptions, not the rules.

Peppers recorded 12 sacks his rookie year, but only recorded 35 tackles (28 solo). Mario recorded 47 tackles (35 solo).

Conversely, Bruce Smith only had 2 more sacks in his rookie year and about the same amount of tackles.

But the blinded VY homers will continue to cry over spilled milk. Some are so blinded that they refuse to beleive Rob Baronis and Pac-man Jones had a little say in some of those wins last year. VY's stats are mediocre at best.

Was their 8-8 better than our 6-10 last year - sure, but again that 8-8 included and inprobable 60 yard field goal and a couple of returns by jack-ass.

However, I would much rather entertain VY v. Mario discussions - than Bush v. Mario discussions. At the very least I will admit that VY is a threat.

Our Defense is young.
Dunta - 25
Demeco - 23
Mario - 22
Amobi - 20
Tell me there's no upside to that......

BigBull17
10-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Isn't that the sack for a half yard loss where Mario ankle tackled VY on the line of scrimage?

No, its the one where Mario prevented the flare and still made the sack anyway. That was a pretty good play, if I remember correctly.