PDA

View Full Version : WTF..Super Bowl Overseas??

hobie
10-16-2007, 06:33 AM
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- A future Super Bowl champion may someday be crowned overseas in a game witnessed predominantly by a foreign audience, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said.

"There's a great deal of interest in holding a Super Bowl in London," Goodell told reporters Monday. "So we'll be looking at that."

The commissioner said London's new Wembley Stadium would make a great candidate for pro football's biggest matchup, given the enthusiasm overseas for the game.

The NFL has been expanding its overseas presence for years by televising games around the world. It's held preseason games in numerous countries in Europe, Asia, Mexico and Canada, and in 2005, the Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers played the first regular-season match outside the United States.

The game at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City drew the league's largest crowd to date, 103,467.

On Oct. 28, Wembley will host the first regular-season NFL game outside North America. It took just 90 minutes to sell the first 40,000 tickets for the game between the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants. Goodell said event organizers have sold 95,000 tickets in all.

Goodell spoke about the possibility of a British Super Bowl after a luncheon Monday in Scottsdale sponsored by the host committee for the 2008 Super Bowl in Arizona.

I don't know what Goodell is thinking with entertaining this.....What time would the game overseas be played in order to show it at prime time here, 2-3am...I am sure the players wouldn't much go for that idea or the players union. Hope he's just entertaining the idea....

FILO_girl
10-16-2007, 07:58 AM
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- A future Super Bowl champion may someday be crowned overseas in a game witnessed predominantly by a foreign audience, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said.

"There's a great deal of interest in holding a Super Bowl in London," Goodell told reporters Monday. "So we'll be looking at that."

The commissioner said London's new Wembley Stadium would make a great candidate for pro football's biggest matchup, given the enthusiasm overseas for the game.

The NFL has been expanding its overseas presence for years by televising games around the world. It's held preseason games in numerous countries in Europe, Asia, Mexico and Canada, and in 2005, the Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers played the first regular-season match outside the United States.

The game at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City drew the league's largest crowd to date, 103,467.

On Oct. 28, Wembley will host the first regular-season NFL game outside North America. It took just 90 minutes to sell the first 40,000 tickets for the game between the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants. Goodell said event organizers have sold 95,000 tickets in all.

Goodell spoke about the possibility of a British Super Bowl after a luncheon Monday in Scottsdale sponsored by the host committee for the 2008 Super Bowl in Arizona.

I don't know what Goodell is thinking with entertaining this.....What time would the game overseas be played in order to show it at prime time here, 2-3am...I am sure the players wouldn't much go for that idea or the players union. Hope he's just entertaining the idea....

Last time I checked, we had the NATIONAL Football League, not the International Football League.
This stuff just ticks me off. Keep our game AT HOME. Geez.

bah007
10-16-2007, 08:15 AM
Last time I checked, we had the NATIONAL Football League, not the International Football League.
This stuff just ticks me off. Keep our game AT HOME. Geez.

Its all about the $$$$$$

hot pickle
10-16-2007, 08:27 AM
wow roger you really are running the NFL into the ground.... WE WANT PAULY BACK... lol

TexanSam
10-16-2007, 08:33 AM
It wouldn't bother me at all. It's not like I'm going to be able to afford tickets. As long as I still get the game on HD I'm happy

Hervoyel
10-16-2007, 08:50 AM
This commish doesn't seem to have the first clue what NFL fans want. That's not good because traditionally the owners really don't understand their fans (anybody else memorize the lyrics to the new Texans fight song? Didn't think so) and the commish tends to keep things realistic and/or guide them in the right direction. Rozelle was brilliant, Tagliabue knew enough to not undo what Rozelle had done. Goodell seems to want to put his mark on the sport somehow.

I don't give a crap about games in Mexico or Canada and I don't want to watch a Super Bowl in London. I don't want the offense (and eventually the defense) to all have radios in their helmets either and I don't want them to add a 17th game.

They put a Super Bowl in London and the fans need to make sure it's the lowest rated Super Bowl in twenty or thirty years. I'm not watching it even if it's the Texans vs the Cowboys and we're favored by 4 touchdowns.

texanskan
10-16-2007, 08:55 AM

Not sure how you figure it would be at 2am, the super bowl is at 5:20pm central time so that is 11:20 in the UK all they would need to do is move it up 2-3 hours that one time and things would be fine.

I would like to live in Greece one day so I'm all for the NFL expanding in Europe so that I can get that Sunday ticket one of these days.

On another note, I spent a lot of time in Europe last summer and other than Germany and the UK people just don't like/understand the NFL so I see what the comish is thinking about.

Plus London>>>>Glendale-Arlington-J-Ville-Indy or any other crappy super bowl town you might get stuck with

Vinny
10-16-2007, 09:03 AM
Normal fans don't get to go to the games anyway...unless they win some lottery give away or have the connections to the many corporations that have the seating rights, or pay some ticket agency a kagillion bucks for a seat (normal fans don't generally have a kagillion bucks so that may just be moot). Even when the game was in Houston I don't think many Houstonians went to the game...not sure it makes a difference where that game is played. It has always traditionally had the least football-savvy audience of all the playoff games and the least amount of real fans attending a championship game among the top sporting events. Every other top sport has real fans at their championship game. The NFL has fallen in love with the corporate buck.

hobie...we like to have link with our cutnpastes...thanks.

hobie
10-16-2007, 09:11 AM
Normal fans don't get to go to the games anyway...unless they win some lottery give away or have the connections to the many corporations that have the seating rights, or pay some ticket agency a kagillion bucks for a seat (normal fans don't generally have a kagillion bucks so that may just be moot). Even when the game was in Houston I don't think many Houstonians went to the game...not sure it makes a difference where that game is played. It has always traditionally had the least football-savvy audience of all the big sports championship games. Every other top sport has real fans at their championship game. The NFL has fallen in love with the corporate buck.

You would be correct. When they had all the parties downtown leading up to the SB, I spoke with alot of people who had both Carolina and NE gear on and I asked where they were from..I honestly cannot recall if anyone was from the cities participating, but I do know 1 guy said he won a lottery of sorts and he was a NFC fan so thats why he was wearing the Panthers gear.
That's the thing with the major sports not the NFL, when the home team wins, the home team fans can be a part of that, home crowd advantage, and all of that that goes along with it, NHL, MLB, NBA,. Then again, it's a best of 7 so that's a reason. When there is 1 game and you gotta pick the venue in advance, that's the reason the teams playing doesnt have thier home teams fans there. They need to pony up for the playoff games at higher prices, that when the SB comes around, and after the holidays at that, who has 2k left over to watch 1 game....

Vinny
10-16-2007, 09:16 AM
That's the thing with the major sports not the NFL, when the home team wins, the home team fans can be a part of that, home crowd advantage, and all of that that goes along with it, NHL, MLB, NBA,. Then again, it's a best of 7 so that's a reason. When there is 1 game and you gotta pick the venue in advance, that's the reason the teams playing doesnt have thier home teams fans there. They need to pony up for the playoff games at higher prices, that when the SB comes around, and after the holidays at that, who has 2k left over to watch 1 game....yep, the conference championship is for the fans...the Super Bowl is for the Corporations.

Ole Miss Texan
10-16-2007, 09:27 AM
But the Superbowl does so much for the cities they are being held in. It's not that the fans really get to go to it but all those people that come in and have to stay in hotels, rent cars, eat at restaurants, etc... The Superbowl brings in a lot of money for that city for a week or so.

While I think London would be cool and all, I'd rather keep it in the US and have the attendees pay Americans $$ than a US city lose out on that revenue/taxes and give it over sees.

So this NYG vs. Miami game in london coming up....since the players are earning their money over sees- is this one games income non taxable? just something I thought was curious.

ubecool454
10-16-2007, 10:01 AM

Just like I thought..Roger Godell is the Anti-Christ. The day they do this is the day I sell my seats and walk away from the NFL. It is the American Home fans that has made the NFL what it is today. I think Roger Godell is blowing smoke. Has anyone here ever been to London in February? We won't have a superbowl in NYC in Feb because of the weather and London is further north and a very wet that time of year. I vote to suspend Roger Godell until he comes back to his senses.

GlassHalfFull
10-16-2007, 10:06 AM
MJD at the DeBriefing has this to say:

So, Roger Goodell mentioned yesterday that he'd certainly entertain the notion of the Super Bowl being played overseas ... in fact, he's not just entertaining the notion, he says he has a "great deal of interest" in it.

London -- specifically the new Wembley Stadium - was mentioned as a possible destination for the game. And if it doesn't make sense to you that the NFL would play an entire season, and suck billions of dollars out of fans in this country, and then take the biggest, most important, showcase game of the year in front of a country that's bored by the sport ... well, you just haven't been paying attention to how Super Bowls work.

The Super Bowl is the one game of the year that is not staged for NFL fans. It's staged for people who aren't NFL fans ... because the NFL would like to convert them into NFL fans. And for this reason, the NFL does everything they can, with musical acts and all sorts of other bells and whistles, to make the telecast appeal to people who otherwise wouldn't care.

And if these things happen to annoy you as someone who watches the NFL every single week ... well, Roger Goodell doesn't really care. He knows you're coming back.

For these reasons, this doesn't surprise me in the least ... I'd actually be more surprised if it didn't happen over the next 10 years.

Full article here (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/16/the-debriefing-the-rockies-are-the-anti-patriots/#cont)

Double Barrel
10-16-2007, 10:30 AM
Even though we fans are priced out of the game, the experience was a blast. I went to quite a few parties, in addition to the NFL Experience that the league put together at the convention center (it had a lot of Hall of Fame memorabilia in it, too). It would be a shame for fans to lose this opportunity because the NFL is only focussed on the bottom line.

They are slowly taking fans out of the sport. Exporting games, increasing ticket prices, taking out homefield advantage, talk of pay-per-view playoff games, exporting the Super Bowl...I guess the only thing left to export will be the fan base. I hate to say it, but I can see a point where the big business of the league gets in the way of enjoying the game and I start watching high school games to see the passion of the sport again.

Farough
10-16-2007, 10:38 AM
But the Superbowl does so much for the cities they are being held in. It's not that the fans really get to go to it but all those people that come in and have to stay in hotels, rent cars, eat at restaurants, etc... The Superbowl brings in a lot of money for that city for a week or so.

While I think London would be cool and all, I'd rather keep it in the US and have the attendees pay Americans $$ than a US city lose out on that revenue/taxes and give it over sees.

So this NYG vs. Miami game in london coming up....since the players are earning their money over sees- is this one games income non taxable? just something I thought was curious.

I'm pretty sure that if you are a United States resident that your world wide income in taxable in the states. That is how it works in Canada and I really can't see it being much different from here since the tax acts are both very similar.

Errant Hothy
10-16-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm pretty sure that if you are a United States resident that your world wide income in taxable in the states. That is how it works in Canada and I really can't see it being much different from here since the tax acts are both very similar.

It's the same for Americans. My parents have spent a good chunk of their lives, as have I, overseas and I promise you there income is taxable by the IRS regardless if they are working for an American company or not.

Now there are certain tax breaks that you get while living overseas.

hobie
10-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Even though we fans are priced out of the game, the experience was a blast. I went to quite a few parties, in addition to the NFL Experience that the league put together at the convention center (it had a lot of Hall of Fame memorabilia in it, too). It would be a shame for fans to lose this opportunity because the NFL is only focussed on the bottom line.

They are slowly taking fans out of the sport. Exporting games, increasing ticket prices, taking out homefield advantage, talk of pay-per-view playoff games, exporting the Super Bowl...I guess the only thing left to export will be the fan base. I hate to say it, but I can see a point where the big business of the league gets in the way of enjoying the game and I start watching high school games to see the passion of the sport again.

In a way the NFL network is also a pay per view..Case at hand, when the Texans play Denver on Dec. 13th. , that game is a NFL network game, and if you don't have that service, well you won't be watching it..So paying for that channel is like a pay per view..

Double Barrel
10-16-2007, 11:05 AM
In a way the NFL network is also a pay per view..Case at hand, when the Texans play Denver on Dec. 13th. , that game is a NFL network game, and if you don't have that service, well you won't be watching it..So paying for that channel is like a pay per view..

Well, to be fair, the NFL Network is trying to be on basic cable packages line ESPN.

You cannot watch Monday Night Football without paying for ESPN, so it's pretty much the same thing.

The pay-per-view I was talking about would be for single events, like boxing and UFC does. You'd have to pay X amount of $ to see a given game. USA Today had a big article on it a few weeks ago. It depressed me to see the direction the league is taking, because they have little regard for the little guy these days.

Errant Hothy
10-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Well, to be fair, the NFL Network is trying to be on basic cable packages line ESPN.

You cannot watch Monday Night Football without paying for ESPN, so it's pretty much the same thing.

The pay-per-view I was talking about would be for single events, like boxing and UFC does. You'd have to pay X amount of $ to see a given game. USA Today had a big article on it a few weeks ago. It depressed me to see the direction the league is taking, because they have little regard for the little guy these days.

And certain UT football games.

I think that if the NFL does go pay-per-view we will a) see the rise in the number and quality of sport's bars, and b) it will be the start of teh NFl's decline as America's favorite sport.

ATX
10-16-2007, 11:19 AM

They would have to pay the taxes under American tax laws. For one, most of them make too much money to be exempt and secondly, they have to be out of the country for something like 300 plus days to get any tax exemption.

Porky
10-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Football is an American sport. Invented by Americans, played by Americans, bought and paid for by Americans and owned by Americans. If there is enough support to fill stadiums overseas, then let them start their own league. It's fine that they televise our games, but I don't want them being played live in front of a foreign audience, and espcially the most american spectacle of them all, the Super Bowl. Who does Godell think footed the bill to make the NFL the most popular sports league in America? And then he pulls the game when he understands the financial impact to the host city? The taxpayers of this country foot the bill, then he pulls the rug out from under us? If anything, I would prefer to see the Super Bowl in the city of the league champion with the best record, just like they do in the other major sports. But, for god's sake, don't export the Super Bowl. I would be offended by that in a major way.

hobie
10-16-2007, 11:41 AM
Well, I for one think the owners would have a say in the matter, as they vote for the location...SO, if the owners don't want to play overseas, then I would find it hard to believe the commish would trump them and call for London to host it, or wherever..
I would find it hard to think the owners who are in the cities that are in the SB rotation would not vote to have it outside the US. That makes it one more year they would have to wait to host it again. Way too much money for them to send it all overseas, and well I think the commish would have to sweeten the pot for the owners to vote his way..

The Dream
10-16-2007, 12:19 PM
damn globalization.............

The Dream
10-16-2007, 12:21 PM
if the NFL falls into the trap of trying to please everyone overseas (like the NBA) they'll find themselves in the same predicaments of lowered attendance and ratings...........American pro sports are so concerned about the oversea moneys that they can bring in to the point where they totally alienate their home base.

SheTexan
10-16-2007, 01:52 PM
This commish doesn't seem to have the first clue what NFL fans want. That's not good because traditionally the owners really don't understand their fans (anybody else memorize the lyrics to the new Texans fight song? Didn't think so) and the commish tends to keep things realistic and/or guide them in the right direction. Rozelle was brilliant, Tagliabue knew enough to not undo what Rozelle had done. Goodell seems to want to put his mark on the sport somehow.

I don't give a crap about games in Mexico or Canada and I don't want to watch a Super Bowl in London. I don't want the offense (and eventually the defense) to all have radios in their helmets either and I don't want them to add a 17th game.

They put a Super Bowl in London and the fans need to make sure it's the lowest rated Super Bowl in twenty or thirty years. I'm not watching it even if it's the Texans vs the Cowboys and we're favored by 4 touchdowns.

DITTO!!!!! PSL owners threaten to "give um up" if they do this, there won't be a second thought about it. Goodell is fixing to bite the hand that feeds him. JMO!!

Ole Miss Texan
10-16-2007, 02:13 PM
They would have to pay the taxes under American tax laws. For one, most of them make too much money to be exempt and secondly, they have to be out of the country for something like 300 plus days to get any tax exemption.

Interesting...thanks for the info

kastofsna
10-16-2007, 03:14 PM
both of those guys talked about playing overseas. Goodell is just continuing what they started.

Aik
10-16-2007, 03:44 PM
I think the winning team/city from the previous year's SB should be the host.

That way you get something for winning. Maybe you didn't get to see your own team at home last year, but you get the SB and the $$ in the city next time around. Gives a big boost to those that deserve it.

That idea should be entertained.

Double Barrel
10-16-2007, 04:11 PM
London in February?! :um:

The NFL has long tried to avoid putting the game in northern U.S. cities due to weather conditions. I can just see how well it'll go over if it gets rained or snowed out in a foreign land!

RTP2110
10-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Other than money for the league, I don't see how this is a good idea at all. The fans here wouldn't like it, and the fans there wouldn't even care. A preseason or regular season game overseas is one thing. But we're talking about the crown jewel of american sports. Why give that game away to a bunch of people who wouldn't even care? I'm sure we won't be getting any UEFA championship matches here in the states anytime soon.

Hardcore Texan
10-16-2007, 04:25 PM

I don't think that is how it works, I think it is the first 90K you make is tax free. You do not have to be there that long either.

When I was in the USAF, I went to Saudi Arabia twice (in 1997 and 1999), for 4 months each time. My income for 5 months was not taxed. All I had to do was work one day in one month and the whole month was not taxed, that's why a 4 month rotation worked out to be 5 months tax free.

And on top of that, the next year when I filed my taxes I was in a much lower tax bracket since I had only 7 months of taxable income from the previous year and an Airman doesn't exactly knock down the dough.

I know several people that went back to Saudi as contractors once they became civilians, the first 90 K was tax free, the were getting paid like 100-120K per year, heck I almost did it myself.

Oh, and I am against this whole exporting the Superbowl also.

:texflag:

hobie
10-16-2007, 04:35 PM
I think the winning team/city from the previous year's SB should be the host.

That way you get something for winning. Maybe you didn't get to see your own team at home last year, but you get the SB and the $$ in the city next time around. Gives a big boost to those that deserve it.

That idea should be entertained.

Well think about it for a second, if NE wins it all, the following year have the SB up there. Would be way too cold, snowy and all that. You would have to have everything inside leading up to the SB. And then say you have a team that plays in the snow vs. one who doesn't. Say Houston vs. Green Bay. Well if it is played in Foxboro, then GB would be a huge favorite just because of the conditions.
Now I see your point, and it's just something thrown out there, but I would much rather go that direction than have the SB played outside of our borders.

PapaL
10-16-2007, 04:40 PM
With the time difference maybe I could get something done after another crappy SB. UK being +7 hours, that would mean a noon EST kickoff. Maybe they're on to something here. Get to miss all the pre-pre-pre game crap.

Errant Hothy
10-16-2007, 04:43 PM
London in February?! :um:

The NFL has long tried to avoid putting the game in northern U.S. cities due to weather conditions. I can just see how well it'll go over if it gets rained or snowed out in a foreign land!

London in Feb is no worse then Dallas or Detroit in Feb. 45 out and rainy sounds about right for all three, if Detroit isn't colder.

Also yes I know that both Dallas and Detroit have domes and London does not, but the game conditions won't be any worse tehn some of the championship games.

hot pickle
10-18-2007, 08:11 AM
Detroit was in-doors though

Double Barrel
10-18-2007, 09:39 AM
I'm looking forward to the first ever hooligan riot at a Super Bowl. They know how to throw down over there, and it would serve the NFL some justice for exporting one of, if not the, biggest sporting events.

TheDrifter
10-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Still....

Would probably be better than Jacksonville. :brickwall:

The1ApplePie
10-18-2007, 10:00 AM
I love London, the place is like my second hometown (and I love it alot more than my first) but I don't think they should have the Super Bowl there.

Texan_Bill
10-18-2007, 10:06 AM
I would much rather have the Super Bowl location go to a US non-NFL city (i.e. Pasadena), than to have it in a non-US, non-NFL city. It just doesn't make sense to me.

If this happens, maybe US cities can bid to host the Cricket World Cup. :rolleyes:

SheTexan
10-18-2007, 01:33 PM
I would much rather have the Super Bowl location go to a US non-NFL city (i.e. Pasadena), than to have it in a non-US, non-NFL city. It just doesn't make sense to me.

If this happens, maybe US cities can bid to host the Cricket World Cup. :rolleyes:

:yikes: :yikes:
BRING IT ON!!! I'll rent my house out and make tons of money!!:doot: