PDA

View Full Version : Who's your 'once in a lifetime back'? Bush,Peterson,or McFadden

Ole Miss Texan
10-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Well there sure was all this hype surrounding Reggie Bush and him being a once in decade/lifetime runningback. Then came, Adrian Peterson the very next year. He's even better and the real once in a decade RB. Now there's Darren McFadden- is he even better!?

This was posted on another site and the results of over 200 votes were very surprising to me. I fully expect this one to me much different but the basis remains the same. It seems every year there are the sexy guys that are going to be the best players in the world...etc. Lots of hype.

So who is the best running back?

Reggie Bush- 2006
Adrian Peterson-2007
Darren McFAdden-2008

kiwitexansfan
10-16-2007, 12:45 AM
For me the answer to the question who is the once in 'my' lifetime will always be Barry Sanders.

Of the selection provided, AD has the best chance for greatness.

kastofsna
10-16-2007, 07:06 AM
McFadden.

Texan_Bill
10-16-2007, 07:08 AM
I've experienced my 'once in a lifetime back'... His name was Earl...

GlassHalfFull
10-16-2007, 07:13 AM
I didn't vote in the poll, because there was not a "none of the above" choice. The press is idiotic for trying to label a player as a "once in a lifetime back' before they have played for 5++ years.

kastofsna
10-16-2007, 07:22 AM
then just vote who you think will be the best of the 3. not that hard.

Kaiser Toro
10-16-2007, 07:25 AM
For over two years I have said it was AP and not Bush. He is as good as the profile gets for a NFL Running Back. The question will be can he sustain his performance without injury.

Silver Oak
10-16-2007, 07:33 AM

I'm with ya.

gtexan02
10-16-2007, 07:43 AM
Apparently people don't seem to understand the question. This is not a "who was the greatest running back ever" poll, it was a poll designed to have you guess who will be that "once in a lifetime back" coming out of college. Just like MW was labeled a "once in a lifetime" pass rusher when he came out

Its not hard people

gtexan02
10-16-2007, 07:44 AM
PS: I think RB's + Peterson's injuries caused him to drop as far as he did. I think McFadden goes top 2

Texan_Bill
10-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Apparently people don't seem to understand the question. This is not a "who was the greatest running back ever" poll, it was a poll designed to have you guess who will be that "once in a lifetime back" coming out of college. Just like MW was labeled a "once in a lifetime" pass rusher when he came out

Its not hard people

I understood the question perfectly.... My ONCE (as in there is ONLY one) in a lifetime running back has already played and retired...

HoustonFrog
10-16-2007, 08:26 AM
Its not hard people

I thought he was labeled as the "perfectly made body with no motor and who took plays off and needed to be motivated." I never heard your explanation..oh well

I got ya...since we have no clue how McFadden will be used and you listed those 3, I'd got AP with no injuries.

Mr teX
10-16-2007, 08:50 AM
How this question can even be posed after peterson's performance this past sunday is beyond me....

Ole Miss Texan
10-16-2007, 09:22 AM
I find some of these responses really funny.

The whole point is that espn/media hypes up certain players so much as in Bush. We all heard the 'there's only one player like this that comes around every X# of years. Then the next year is Adrian Peterson who I, as well as many, think is head and shoulders above Bush. Then the next year comes Darren McFadden who is an incredible athlete/running back that COULD be better than Peterson!

And about Mario...I remember him being portrayed as a physical speciman, etc and being the best DE since Julius Peppers if not better. We as fans were told that he was coming to Houston for his Pass Rush to get to Peyton. He's a monster against the run but his pass rushing still needs work.

Maybe another debate shall be Mario Williams, Gaines Adams, or Calais Cambell!?

ubecool454
10-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Well there sure was all this hype surrounding Reggie Bush and him being a once in decade/lifetime runningback. Then came, Adrian Peterson the very next year. He's even better and the real once in a decade RB. Now there's Darren McFadden- is he even better!?

This was posted on another site and the results of over 200 votes were very surprising to me. I fully expect this one to me much different but the basis remains the same. It seems every year there are the sexy guys that are going to be the best players in the world...etc. Lots of hype.

So who is the best running back?

Reggie Bush- 2006
Adrian Peterson-2007
Darren McFAdden-2008

My once in decade is adrian Peterson, my once in a lifetime back is OJ Simpson, he is still my idol.

Mr teX
10-16-2007, 09:39 AM
My once in decade is adrian Peterson, my once in a lifetime back is OJ Simpson, he is still my idol.

:backsout:

The1ApplePie
10-16-2007, 09:41 AM
Bush has the pure potential out of the 3 backs to put up the most total yards, while AD is the best pure runner. McFadden reminds me of MJD, a guy that can do the inside run almost as good as Peterson and the passing game almost as well as Bush.

powerfuldragon
10-16-2007, 09:50 AM
the tyler rose disapproves of this thread.

Texan_Bill
10-16-2007, 10:01 AM
the tyler rose disapproves of this thread.

Add to that list with the Tyler Rose:
Powerfuldragon
Silver Oak
Hervoyel
Texan_Bill

HOU-TEX
10-16-2007, 11:41 AM
Powerfuldragon
Silver Oak
Hervoyel
Texan_Bill

Um..you can definetely add me to the list. No one will ever compare to the 36 inch thighed, "pinch between yer cheek and gum" Earl Christian Campbell.
:shades:

TexansLucky13
10-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Big 12 > Pac 10

:shades:

Adrian all the way baby

Texan_Bill
10-16-2007, 11:48 AM
Powerfuldragon
Silver Oak
Hervoyel
HOU-TEX
Texan_Bill

Um..you can definetely add me to the list. No one will ever compare to the 36 inch thighed, "pinch between yer cheek and gum" Earl Christian Campbell.

DONE!!!

dtran04
10-16-2007, 11:52 AM
So in the end...."once in a generation" actually means "once every single year".

Errant Hothy
10-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Wow, am I goign to be the first to bring up the name of Bo Jackson. No disrespect to Earl, but Bo wa truly a once in a lifetime running back, and maybe a once ever athelete.

TexansLucky13
10-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Wow, am I goign to be the first to bring up the name of Bo Jackson. No disrespect to Earl, but Bo wa truly a once in a lifetime running back, and maybe a once ever athelete.

Being from Alabama, I am a huge Auburn fan. My dad loved Bo Jackson, as do I. I take pride in attending the only school to ever stop the great Bo Jackson.

Texan_Bill
10-16-2007, 12:01 PM

I respect that choice as much as I would anyone who were to mention Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders etc.

I just don't think we can have a vote on a guy in his second year v. a guy in his first year v. a guy not even drafted yet - as a 'once in a lifetime back'.

We (see the list) picked Earl, because not only the Oiler connection but having watched him week in and week out, up close and personal.

GlassHalfFull
10-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Being from Alabama, I am a huge Auburn fan. My dad loved Bo Jackson, as do I. I take pride in attending the only school to ever stop the great Bo Jackson.

I was at that Cotton Bowl. Great game. We did well against heisman trophy winners back then.

TexansLucky13
10-16-2007, 12:14 PM
I was at that Cotton Bowl. Great game. We did well against heisman trophy winners back then.

I envy you. I wasn't even born yet I don't think (that was 86, wasn't it?). The funny thing is that my dad was watching that game and cursing up a storm.

GlassHalfFull
10-16-2007, 12:18 PM
I envy you. I wasn't even born yet I don't think (that was 86, wasn't it?). The funny thing is that my dad was watching that game and cursing up a storm.

OK, great, way to make me feel old. :gun: Hopefully, my son will be an Aggie next year. His top two choices are A&M and Rice, but for my pocketbook's sake, I hope he goes to A&M.

dannyboy
10-16-2007, 12:23 PM
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/photos/04swac4.jpg

SheTexan
10-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Past: Earl

Present: Joseph Addai!!!

TexansLucky13
10-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Past: Earl

Present: Joseph Addai!!!

Are you serious? The Colts O-line would make my grandpappy into a Pro Bowler. Man or Moment???

Specnatz
10-16-2007, 02:02 PM

I did not get to see Earl as much as you so my answer would be .........

"Sweetness" Walter Payton.

I do not buy into the hype of espin, I go by the body of work over the course of a career.

Ole Miss Texan
10-16-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm not going to lie I was getting a little frustrated for a second about how this thread changed gears and how some of you (talking about the old time greats) severly disapprove of this thread....but your actually helping make the point.

There is so much hype these days about how good these players are/ will be, how they will redefine the position, how they will be the best EVER. When the fact remains... its very very hard to compete against some of the old time greats... and that a new guy pops up each year that wins over the hearts of the media and then they in turn try to cram it down our throats...

HOU-TEX
10-16-2007, 02:13 PM
I did not get to see Earl as much as you so my answer would be .........

"Sweetness" Walter Payton.

I do not buy into the hype of espin, I go by the body of work over the course of a career.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with that choice either. I had the pleasure of meeting him once when the wife worked at a company dealing with sports memorabilia. He will always be remembered as one of the classiest atheletes on and off the field.

BUT...having grown up in the Houston area, Earl will always be the epitome of Houston football. :texflag:

Maddict5
10-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Bush has the pure potential out of the 3 backs to put up the most total yards, while AD is the best pure runner. McFadden reminds me of MJD, a guy that can do the inside run almost as good as Peterson and the passing game almost as well as Bush.

:gun: the only way bush ends up with more yards than AD is if he returns kicks and punts for the rest of his career and you compare his all purpose yards to AD's.. or AD gets injured..... homerism at its finest imo- bush has done nada in the nfl to show he can put up yards...his best game is what- around 140?? hasnt AD gotten more than that in practically every game hes played so far?

AD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>reggie.. and 95% of people know it

steelbtexan
10-16-2007, 07:58 PM
DONE!!!

Add me to the list Bill

Specnatz
10-16-2007, 08:03 PM

Stop doing drugs and you would not have this issue. No seriously, you need to take off the free home filled glasses and start paying attention to the game versus what you want him to accomplish.

real
10-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Barry

Brando
10-16-2007, 08:52 PM
I thought he was labeled as the "perfectly made body with no motor and who took plays off and needed to be motivated." I never heard your explanation..oh well

I got ya...since we have no clue how McFadden will be used and you listed those 3, I'd got AP with no injuries.

Ditto.

Reggie Bush was supposed to be the next "Gale Sayers", well guess what, Gale had 14 rushing TD's and 6 receiving TD's in his rookie year. Bush is not a once in a lifetime back. He compares to Eric Metcalf more than Gale Sayers. Adrian Peterson is doing what Bush was supposed to do last year.

Earl Campbell, now he was a once in a lifetime back, Thank you Bum for trading for the #1 pick in 1978.

jlam
10-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Well right now, barring injury and having to choose from the three, it has to be Peterson. The combination of power, speed, and vision he has is pretty damn impressive.

Of course these kind of questions/polls are never fair, but neither are the expectations these guys come into the league with. I really haven't seen enough of McFadden to decide what to expect out of him, but it really doesn't matter what I expect. Point is, it's impossible to tell how any player is going to perform coming into the league from college. You don't know what kind of situation the player is going to be thrust into, what kind of playing time he's going to see, how the coach is going to use/misuse him. Too many variables to ever speak in absolutes in my opinion. As fantastic as Peterson has looked (and he has looked incredible) he does get to run behind Bryant McKinnie and Steve Hutchison every time he goes left.

Second Honeymoon
10-17-2007, 07:20 PM
McFadden.

you gotta be kidding me. the guy just isn't that good from what I have seen and that is quite a bit. AP is the best RB prospect since Faulk came in the league....and that includes LT. LT has developed into a great one, but AP comes in with more hype and more accolades than LT did.

McFadden is not a bad back but I wouldnt spend a Top 8 pick in this year's draft on him....no doubt about that.

you claim to be a draft expert yet you choose McFadden? why? because ESPN said he was good?