PDA

View Full Version : VY Status?

houstonhurricane
10-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Well, next week looks like a critical divisional game and it comes against our "friends" from TN. VY went down with a quadricep injury and his status for next week is uncertain. If anyone finds an update on his condition, can you pass it along?

While we need every advantage we can get, the game would not be nearly as much fun if VY is not in the lineup.

Texans_Chick
10-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Well, next week looks like a critical divisional game and it comes against our "friends" from TN. VY went down with a quadricep injury and his status for next week is uncertain. If anyone finds an update on his condition, can you pass it along?

While we need every advantage we can get, the game would not be nearly as much fun if VY is not in the lineup.

I have to say that there is a part of me that wants to hose all those VY fans who paid top dollar for their tickets just to see VY.

And all those intending to scalp their tickets to VY fans.

Twitch-Houston
10-14-2007, 09:40 PM

I'll be watching his status closely. While I'd like him to be in the game so there are no excuses if we win, I'd rather listen to the excuses with a "W" instead of talking about his last minute TD run with an "L". :texflag:

Twitch-Houston
10-14-2007, 09:41 PM
I have to say that there is a part of me that wants to hose all those VY fans who paid top dollar for their tickets just to see VY.

ha ha that's true the tickets are going for big money there will be some disappointed people.

houstonhurricane

TC,

I guess I had not given that aspect of the game much thought. The only thing that would be sweeter would be to send all of those VY fans home in a sour mood after the Texans shut him down and pull off a much needed victory.

bah007
I hope VY doesnt play.

I would rather face Collins.

Maybe we can actually have a home-field advantage in our own stadium against the Titans this year.

jaayteetx
10-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Fun? Who cares, I say. You think the colts, falcons and jag fans were saying "aw man its not going to be nearly as fun to beat the texans without Andre Johnson"? We need a "W" and I'll take any advantage that comes our way. That being said, it would be a little sweeter if we could put a whooping on VY and the titans next week!

houstonhurricane
10-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Fun? Who cares, I say. You think the colts, falcons and jag fans were saying "aw man its not going to be nearly as fun to beat the texans without Andre Johnson"? We need a "W" and I'll take any advantage that comes our way. That being said, it would be a little sweeter if we could put a whooping on VY and the titans next week!

IMO, If we can't beat VY at home, then we have no business talking about a winning season...and yes, after suffering through losing, and boring, seasons, I do want a "fun"/entertaining game.

jaayteetx
10-14-2007, 09:45 PM
IMO, If we can't beat VY at home, then we have no business talking about a winning season...and yes, after suffering through losing, and boring, seasons, I do want a "fun"/entertaining game.

You win and its fun, IMO.

houstonhurricane
10-14-2007, 09:49 PM
You win and its fun, IMO.

Once again, if we can't beat him at home, how successful will we be the remainder of the season?

bah007
10-14-2007, 09:52 PM
IMO, If we can't beat the Titans at home, then we have no business talking about a winning season...and yes, after suffering through losing, and boring, seasons, I do want a "fun"/entertaining game.

Once again, if we can't beat them at home, how successful will we be the remainder of the season?

Fixed your posts.

VY's good, but he isnt a one man team.

Htownsportsfan
10-14-2007, 09:54 PM
He will play, Vince Young has healing powers!!!!

jaayteetx
10-14-2007, 09:55 PM

funny!

houstonhurricane
10-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Fixed your posts.

VY's good, but he isnt a one man team.

Fair enough - however Kerry Collins IS David Carr lite...

Let's hope for a big win this weekend...

jaayteetx
10-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Once again, if we can't beat him at home, how successful will we be the remainder of the season?

Ok, you think Jag fans are saying "how successful can we truly be the rest of the year, we beat the Texans but they didn't have Andre Johnson"? In this league nobody takes pity on you and I'll take any advantage and any "W" that comes our way right now. Especially since we've had the luck with injuries we've had.

bah007
10-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Fair enough - however Kerry Collins IS David Carr lite...

Let's hope for a big win this weekend...

Touche.

houstonhurricane
10-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Ok, you think Jag fans are saying "how successful can we truly be the rest of the year, we beat the Texans but they didn't have Andre Johnson"? In this league nobody takes pity on you and I'll take any advantage and any "W" that comes our way right now. Especially since we've had the luck with injuries we've had.

Jaay,

Obviously, I am not speaking from the team's perspective - I am looking at it from a fan's perspective. Yes, I want to see the Texans beat VY at home. Yes, I would like to see how much progress we have made from last year. Yes, I would also like to see if our "first round" defensive line can stop VY. Yes, I also want to win.

I am sure the team just wants to win and would probably like to have him sit this particular game. However, since I continue to shell out bucks to watch the games, I am personally hoping we beat this kid at home.

jaayteetx
10-14-2007, 10:14 PM
Jaay,

Obviously, I am not speaking from the team's perspective - I am looking at it from a fan's perspective. Yes, I want to see the Texans beat VY at home. Yes, I would like to see how much progress we have made from last year. Yes, I would also like to see if our "first round" defensive line can stop VY. Yes, I also want to win.

I am sure the team just wants to win and would probably like to have him sit this particular game. However, since I continue to shell out bucks to watch the games, I am personally hoping we beat this kid at home.

I want the same things as you, I'm just saying I can wait another year to beat VY and the Titans at home if its going to give us an advantage, thats all.

Silver Oak
10-14-2007, 10:19 PM
the defense is the strongest part of that team. offense is average to below average IMO.

Bulluck53
10-14-2007, 10:42 PM
I've got a feeling he will play.

Someone get a thread up for the game damnit.... enough of this week 6 debacle

Specnatz
10-14-2007, 10:48 PM

God I love the way you think. Reps Reps

:texans chick:

Marcus
10-14-2007, 11:48 PM
I find this thread (http://forums.titansonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30164) on the Titans board to be quite interesting.

nero THE zero
10-14-2007, 11:51 PM
VY has a 0:4 TD:INT ratio over his past 2 games. I sure wouldn't mind facing that.

Bulluck53
10-15-2007, 12:35 AM
:lol: Please don't reference the TOMB

dskillz
10-15-2007, 10:23 AM
I am more concerned about our offense against a great Titans defense more than anything else. Not like VY has been lighting up the league with his great performances this season. We need a win, I don't give two craps if it is against VY or Kerry.

Brando
10-15-2007, 11:09 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Same to the ones that are so called Texans fans rooting for VY against us.

texanskan
10-15-2007, 11:33 AM
I am more concerned about our offense against a great Titans defense more than anything else. Not like VY has been lighting up the league with his great performances this season. We need a win, I don't give two craps if it is against VY or Kerry.

I see your point but I want this win vs VY and like other posters have said I feel I have paid top dollar for PSL's, Texans gear and tickets for six years and I want to be entertained.

A Texan
10-15-2007, 04:14 PM
I think all this Vince hate is misplaced. Vince Young is just a talented local guy who wanted to be here. Bud is athe guy who didn't. Hate him.

Trash the Nashvillains. Beat bud's big butt badly.

SheTexan
10-15-2007, 04:27 PM
It's Tenn D we better worry about, not the media's fav darling!! VY, KC, who cares, as long as we don't repeat what we did yesterday!!!! NO FREAKING excuses!!! Just go out and play some hard nosed football!!!!:texflag:

TexansLucky13
10-15-2007, 04:29 PM
We would've beat the Jags if we could have finished our drives with a TD in the redzone. If we do that this week, we win.

According to KFFL, VY is reluctant to speak about his injury, or whether or not he will play this coming week. Methinks that this is good news for the Texans, either way.

tulexan
10-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Well considering the way that we play against back up quarterbacks, it might not be bad if Vince plays.

Texans_Chick
10-15-2007, 05:03 PM
VY had an MRI today and is considered day to day (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/titans/2007-10-15-young-status_N.htm).

He started limping as he ran out of bounds, right before he was pushed out.

Fischer claims that the injury was not as bad as they first thought but waits to get the MRI back. He also said in his press conference that it wasn't the sort of injury that needed surgery. I am guessing VY will play if he can because Superman wears Vince Young pajamas and there is no way VY wants to miss the game in Houston if he can play.

Here is a description of the injury (http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071015/SPORTS01/710150348/1002/SPORTS):

Quadriceps, the four major muscles in the front of the thigh, are responsible for extending the knee joint. Young said when he tried to bend his knee he felt a sharp pain.

"I just wanted to be cautious,'' Young said. "I wanted to go back in but if the (trainers) say just go on and sit it out, that is what I am going to do. I am going to be real cautious about the situation. I really didn't want to go back out there and try to do anything to make it even worse.''

Here's some interesting information on quadicep strains (http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/hip_and_thigh/thigh_strain_full.php).

Usually, the muscle is forcibly stretched beyond its limits and the muscle tissue becomes torn during an activity such as sprinting or kicking a ball. A tear in a Thigh muscle is referred to as a Thigh strain and depending on its severity it is classified as a first, second or third degree strain:

a first degree strain is damage to a few muscle fibres
a second degree strain is damage to a more extensive number of muscle fibres
a third degree strain is a complete rupture of the muscle itself

Thigh Muscle Strain Signs & Symptoms

With a grade one Thigh strain the signs may not be present until after the activity is over. There may be a sensation of cramp or Thigh tightness and a slight feeling of pain when the muscles are stretched or contracted.

With a grade two Thigh strain there is immediate pain which is more severe than the pain of a grade one injury and produces pain on walking. It is confirmed by pain on stretch and contraction of the muscle. A grade two Thigh strain is usually sore to touch.

A grade three Thigh strain is a complete rupture of a muscle and is a serious injury. There is immediate burning or stabbing pain and the athlete is unable to walk without pain. Often there is a depression in the thigh at the location of the tear and a lump above the depression. After a few days with grade two and three injuries a large bruise will appear below the injury site caused by bleeding within the tissues.

The immediate treatment for a Thigh muscle injury consists of rest, ice, and compression (never apply ice directly to the skin). This is aimed at reducing the bleeding and damage within the muscle tissue. Resting may be the common sense approach, but it is one that is often ignored by competitive athletes. This is unwise, since it does not take much to turn a grade one Thigh strain into a grade two, or a grade two Thigh strain into a grade three. As a general rule, grade one Thigh strains should be rested from sporting activity for about 3 weeks, and grade two Thigh strains for about 4 to 6 weeks. In the case of a complete rupture the Thigh muscle will have to be repaired surgically and the rehabilitation afterwards will take about 3 months.

Interesting.

The Dream
10-15-2007, 05:10 PM

I wish someone could get an audio clip of that...that was some of the funniest s#!t that I've heard in my life.

Me thinks Vince is playing...........................and Me will have on a VY jersey.

GuerillaBlack
10-15-2007, 06:01 PM
I find this thread (http://forums.titansonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30164) on the Titans board to be quite interesting.

I was listening to the radio last night (Fox Sports I think), and someone (a host) said that even though VY doesn't have great stats, he is just a winner. I was like "how the **** does 10-12 for 150 yards and an INT and three rushes for 22 help a team win" (I know those aren't his exact numbers, but that is what VY's stats usually are).

The Dream
10-15-2007, 06:14 PM
VY = winner....mainly because his ability to make the big play with the game on the line...................he was having a pretty decent game before he got injured yesterday.

Texan_Bill
10-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Thank God for VY... If they had someone else at the helm, we might be talking about Tennessee in the same breath as the Patriots... :shades:

Vinny
10-15-2007, 06:23 PM
I was listening to the radio last night (Fox Sports I think), and someone (a host) said that even though VY doesn't have great stats, he is just a winner. I was like "how the **** does 10-12 for 150 yards and an INT and three rushes for 22 help a team win" (I know those aren't his exact numbers, but that is what VY's stats usually are).
I'm sure it's a mere coincidence that all his teams win on every level...and don't tend to win like they won when he left. Football is one sport that you can't just scan a stat line and figure out of a guy makes a difference....you actually have to watch them play to figure stuff like that out.

The Dream
10-15-2007, 06:38 PM
I'm sure it's a mere coincidence that all his teams win on every level...and don't tend to win like they won when he left. Football is one sport that you can't just scan a stat line and figure out of a guy makes a difference....you actually have to watch them play to figure stuff like that out.

people seem to forget how bad the titans were before VY started....the first time I realized that VY had "it" was when he played at Madison and they beat North Shore in the Dome.....................North Shore had more talent but Madison had Vy.

Double Barrel
10-15-2007, 06:47 PM
I just want to beat the Titans, with or without VY. The W does not have an asterisk if he's not playing.

I'm concerned about our whole team playing the Titans. Our D is soft, and with Tennessee's running game, I'm not sure we can stop them. And with a great defense and our inability to score in the red zone, I do not see the potential to dominate in any area of the game.

Silver Oak
10-15-2007, 06:48 PM

Heck, there's 1/2 the guys on the gotitans.com board that are questioning the effectiveness of vy more than some here on texanstalk.com! And I'm pretty sure they watch as much if not more than people do on here.

Texans_Chick
10-15-2007, 06:49 PM

What VY is able to do on 3rd downs, or as far as keeping teams honest and taking them out of what they like to do on defense is not something that easily shows up in stat lines. He can do some stunning things "off schedule" as Kubiak refers to it.

The flip side of this is that his talent is so specific and different that it is hard to install a plug and play sort of offense for his team. If he gets hurt, the QB behind him has a hard time running the offense. I do not think that VY = Vick by any means, but if he gets any injuries that keep him out for periods of time, it can screw a team's year like the year where Reeves got canned. Worse problems to have, but is what happens when you change an offensive scheme to highlight special talents of a player. The Titans defense, has played very well, but will be tested if VY has to miss significant time. (I like the way that their defense is coached).

The game will set up well for the Titans.

They win without VY, it shows they are good team.
They win with VY, it shows he is a gamer.
They lose without VY, well the loss has an asterisk.
They lose with VY, well, he was injured so it doesn't really count.

Bleh.

The Dream
10-15-2007, 06:54 PM
Heck, there's 1/2 the guys on the gotitans.com board that are questioning the effectiveness of vy more than some here on texanstalk.com! And I'm pretty sure they watch as much if not more than people do on here.

don't doubt VY....when will you people learn.......

What VY is able to do on 3rd downs, or as far as keeping teams honest and taking them out of what they like to do on defense is not something that easily shows up in stat lines. He can do some stunning things "off schedule" as Kubiak refers to it.

The flip side of this is that his talent is so specific and different that it is hard to install a plug and play sort of offense for his team. If he gets hurt, the QB behind him has a hard time running the offense. I do not think that VY = Vick by any means, but if he gets any injuries that keep him out for periods of time, it can screw a team's year like the year where Reeves got canned. Worse problems to have, but is what happens when you change an offensive scheme to highlight special talents of a player. The Titans defense, has played very well, but will be tested if VY has to miss significant time. (I like the way that their defense is coached).

Not to sound sexist, but that's amazing for a woman to break down football like that...okay it sounded sexist, but you get the point..............rep headed your way.

drewmar74
10-15-2007, 07:26 PM

Bleh.

Sad. But oh so true.

TexansLucky13
10-15-2007, 07:28 PM

Bleh.

My thoughts exactly. The Rico homers are sitting pretty.

I just want us to win this game.

BattleRedToro
10-15-2007, 07:49 PM
What VY is able to do on 3rd downs, or as far as keeping teams honest and taking them out of what they like to do on defense is not something that easily shows up in stat lines...

... If he gets hurt, the QB behind him has a hard time running the offense.

By the way Kerry Collins was able to move their Offense down the field, it looked like they were better with Collins at the helm instead of Young. Oh, and the Touchdown they scored with Collins playing QB definitely showed up on the statline.

Vinny
10-15-2007, 07:50 PM
By the way Kerry Collins was able to move their Offense down the field, it looked like they were better with Collins at the helm instead of Young. Oh, and the Touchdown they scored with Collins playing QB definitely showed up on the statline.so did the loss. The Titans had a 5 game road winning streak end yesterday.

BattleRedToro
10-15-2007, 08:18 PM
so did the loss. The Titans had a 5 game road winning streak end yesterday.

True enough, but Vince Young played for the most of 3 Quarters of that game, so the loss could hardly be blamed on Kerry Collins.

AnthonyE
10-15-2007, 08:41 PM
I hope he plays. So we can kick his ass. >.<

TheRealJoker
10-15-2007, 09:07 PM

Vince Young gets just as much if not more so credit for being the qb of the losing team on Sunday. Its not like he was taken out on the first play of the game or anything.

Vinny
10-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Vince Young gets just as much if not more so credit for being the qb of the losing team on Sunday. Its not like he was taken out on the first play of the game or anything.
blame him all you want...I didn't say Collins lost the game...he sure didn't win it with a key play in a critical situation....not saying that he is a Vince Young or anything like that.

BattleRedToro
10-15-2007, 09:20 PM
blame him all you want...I didn't say Collins lost the game...he sure didn't win it with a key play in a critical situation....not saying that he is a Vince Young or anything like that.

He couldn't be a Vince Young because he didn't turn the ball over.

Vinny
10-15-2007, 09:21 PM
He couldn't be a Vince Young because he didn't turn the ball over.
true, as everyone knows that's more important than winning.

houstonhurricane
10-15-2007, 10:00 PM

Bleh.

Let's just hope VY plays and we win - then all will be right in the world. I don't think any of us can imagine how demoralizing a VY-led Titans victory could be for this franchise. Well, maybe we can...

spurstexanstros
10-15-2007, 11:49 PM
Hopefully VY status will be on the ground with either Mario or Amobi giving him the horns down.

BSofA04
10-16-2007, 02:12 AM
I hope VY gets the start. Let him play. We need to show the tacs that this is our house and they will not come in here and dominate. Send them back to Nashville with battle red scars.

GuerillaBlack
10-16-2007, 07:36 AM
If he is out, let him be out. Easier for us.

TheRealJoker
10-16-2007, 07:40 AM
If an injured VY is still better than Kerry Collins I would rather VY be out. We need a win in a bad way this week and with our gamebreaker still possibly out i'll take any advantage we can get.

Texan_Bill
10-16-2007, 08:16 AM
If only Vince could have been on the field defensively to single-handedly stop that 55 yard drive for Tampa's game winning field goal, in under a minute -07 :rolleyes:

BattleRedToro
10-16-2007, 08:38 AM
true, as everyone knows that's more important than winning.

Just as everyone knows that the Titans were winless in their organization's entire history until Vince Young started playing for them.:shades:

TheBigpaki
10-16-2007, 09:07 AM
Can anyone Say Madden Curse. Ha finally got him! When he was told by a reporter about the madden curse he said "I am not scared. Bring it on". Here you go vince!

ubecool454
10-16-2007, 09:08 AM
God I love the way you think. Reps Reps

:texans chick:

Didn't I tell U and Texans chick to mind your own business once already concerning other peoples tickets?:pirate:

ubecool454
10-16-2007, 09:29 AM
I hope Vince plays because I go to the games to see the best play the best. I wish we would have the Patriots, Colts twice, and all of the toughest teams in the NFL I wish the NFL would load us up with killer teams every year.

Andrew6
10-16-2007, 09:32 AM
I hope Vince plays because I go to the games to see the best play the best. I wish we would have the Patriots, Colts twice, and all of the toughest teams in the NFL I wish the NFL would load us up with killer teams every year.

so you can make more money off the team ??

ubecool454
10-16-2007, 09:35 AM
so you can make more money off the team ??

If I had to scalp Texans tickets for a living I would be broke. I don't know why its so hard for u to understand that when people do that, its none of your business. I just like good compitition so yes I want the tough teams coming to town. Thats how you become the best...by beating the best.

Andrew6
10-16-2007, 09:40 AM
If I had to scalp Texans tickets for a living I would be broke. I don't know why its so hard for u to understand that when people do that, its none of your business. I just like good compitition so yes I want the tough teams coming to town. Thats how you become the best...by beating the best.

or the fact that most folks are going to pay more to see the best play anyone?

ubecool454
10-16-2007, 09:45 AM
or the fact that most folks are going to pay more to see the best play anyone?

Andrew don't you have seasons tickets? I think you do so, just don't worry about what others are doing with their tickets. I am a football fan first and would rather see Tom Brady, Manning, VY, rather than Boller, Griese and the lower rung. When you see Ubeool on Ebay scalping tickets..get back with me.

The Dream
10-16-2007, 01:13 PM

beat me to it.

Noblesse Oblige
10-16-2007, 01:36 PM

The titans scored the tying TD when Collins was in. What more could he have done? He had all of 5 seconds left after the Bucs got the go-ahead FG.

I was so sure VY was going to will his team to victory from the sidelines.

Specnatz
10-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Didn't I tell U and Texans chick to mind your own business once already concerning other peoples tickets?:pirate:

Sorry pal but you can't tell me to do jack sh*t. I will do and say what ever I want and yes I do not want VY playing in this game just for that reason and that reason alone. I think it would be the funniest thing in the freakin world.

The Dream
10-16-2007, 01:41 PM
The titans scored the tying TD when Collins was in. What more could he have done? He had all of 5 seconds left after the Bucs got the go-ahead FG.

I was so sure VY was going to will his team to victory from the sidelines

If Collins was better for the Titans than Vince then you wouldn't have posters around here hoping that Collins plays.....you people just to give the guy his props and it makes you seem like the biggest cry babies who don't know the "basics" of football...................the Titans were HORRIBLE last year when Collins started, but when VY came in it turned their entire season around and they almost made the playoffs.....it's as simple as that....if you can't respect that then your whole perspective is wack.

real
10-16-2007, 01:46 PM
What if he doesn't play and they win anyways ?

That wouldn't be too funny...

The Dream
10-16-2007, 01:49 PM
That wouldn't be too funny...

Texans wouldn't be a .500 team if they let that happen.

Texans_Chick
10-16-2007, 11:29 PM
VY update story (http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071016/SPORTS01/710160343/1027)that confirms the medical stuff I linked to earlier:

Dr. Mike Pagnini, orthopedic consultant to the Miami Dolphins and formerly head physician for the Nashville Predators, is not familiar with the specifics of Young's injury but saw the play on which he was hurt.

His advice to Young and the Titans: Be careful.

"Any time you have a muscle strain anywhere in the body, the sooner you rush back the greater the risk you could re-injure it or pull it worse, just like with a hamstring,'' said Pagnini, who also has served as team physician for the Pittsburgh Pirates and Chicago White Sox. "The longer you wait, the greater the likelihood that you won't re-injure it or pull it again.''

Pagnini said that as long as Young's injury doesn't involve the tendon Fisher said it doesn't it's not inconceivable that Young could come back as soon as Sunday.

"It can nag you. It can get better and then you pull it again and it can slow you down,'' Pagnini said. "It can be a cycle where you start to get better and you irritate it, and an injury like that can nag you for several weeks or the season.''

76Texan
10-16-2007, 11:39 PM
Doesn't sound too good for Vince, and a concern I had pre-draft with a player who makes plays on his feet.

Leahmic223
10-16-2007, 11:39 PM
Can anyone Say Madden Curse. Ha finally got him! When he was told by a reporter about the madden curse he said "I am not scared. Bring it on". Here you go vince!

Its only going to get worse I tells ya.

They are going to rush him back, then he's going to tear it and be out of for the season.

We have to make sure our guys stay off the cover of that game if we start winning.

Texans_Chick
10-16-2007, 11:46 PM
More medical info from a sports injury perspective (http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/quadriceps-injuries.html):

Injury mechanisms
The rectus femoris is mostly commonly injured in the acceleration phase of sprinting, explosive jumping (eg, long jump), kicking (especially long kicking), or when contracting and meeting a resistance (such as two players kicking a ball at the same time). Unlike other muscle pathologies such as the hamstrings, it is possible for an athlete to 'mask' a rectus femoris injury. Minor grade tears/strains tend only to become functionally limiting when at close to top-end speed sprinting (implications of this will be highlighted in rehabilitation) and when attempting to kick on the run or to kick for distance. Any activity below this, and athletes may be able to continue to compete.

Rehabilitation running
In previous articles in this series, I highlighted the aggressive accelerated rehabilitation of hamstring injuries through use of 'rehab running'. Rehab running for rectus injuries differs from hamstrings in a number of key areas. These are outlined as follows:

1.Don't start too soon. Rectus [femoris] injuries tend to do poorly if running is started too early. Delay running until quads stretch and contraction (both knee extension and hip flexion) is normal. This differs from hamstrings, whereby running is encouraged early in the rehabilitation process to accelerate the recovery process.

The most important element of this running is to educate the athlete to run BELOW the point of pain and/or restriction. As long as the quadriceps feel good, the speed can be increased. The key difference with rehab running the quads as opposed to the hamstrings is the danger of re-injury at close to top-end speed. Athletes generally have a better appreciation of small percentage increases in speed with hamstrings. This awareness is not so acute with quads. That is, the athlete's perception of the difference between 90% speed versus 95% may be way off. This has important clinical implications when the athlete tells you he/she can run 100% speed pain-free.

Leahmic223
10-16-2007, 11:58 PM
TC that injury doesn't sound too good for VY playing this week.

Sounds like if they try to rush him back they risk re-injury, and if he does play he won't run much and we know he is very limited if he is forced to pass. Sounds like he will either be forced to pass more than they/he would like to, or that he won't be able to play.

I want him to play though, he has a beating due :bat:

Texans_Chick
10-17-2007, 12:18 AM
TC that injury doesn't sound too good for VY playing this week.

Sounds like if they try to rush him back they risk re-injury, and if he does play he won't run much and we know he is very limited if he is forced to pass. Sounds like he will either be forced to pass more than they/he would like to, or that he won't be able to play.

I want him to play though, he has a beating due :bat:

Steve McNair playing for Fischer played through a lot of things he probably shouldn't have.

I think it will be interesting if he practices much this week.

TheRealJoker
10-17-2007, 12:27 AM
Anyone think they'll announce his status in the days before the game? I think its a gametime decision myself.

Vinny
10-17-2007, 12:35 AM
Anyone think they'll announce his status in the days before the game? I think its a gametime decision myself.
If you follow Fisher's history with McNair....no way he discloses it since he will want the Texans to have to practice defending two styles of QB....effectively cutting down the reps to in practice for either QB.

Specnatz
10-17-2007, 02:55 AM
If you follow Fisher's history with McNair....no way he discloses it since he will want the Texans to have to practice defending two styles of QB....effectively cutting down the reps to in practice for either QB.

Never understood the injury report to be honest? why it only helps the opposition. Too many people complain about the Texans injury report, but why help the other side?

BSofA04
10-17-2007, 03:59 AM
Its only going to get worse I tells ya.

They are going to rush him back, then he's going to tear it and be out of for the season.

We have to make sure our guys stay off the cover of that game if we start winning.

The wheels of the Madden Curse are starting to turn.....

Vinny
10-17-2007, 08:56 AM
Never understood the injury report to be honest? why it only helps the opposition. Too many people complain about the Texans injury report, but why help the other side?The NFL mandates that you disclose injuries (http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/09/sports/nfl.php)...part of the reason is so the gambling people don't get deep inside scoops and further infest the sport. Fisher has always walked the line of credibility with his QB injury reports historically.

"The principal purpose of the injury report is to ensure there are no hidden injuries, or clubs hiding that players might not be available, and then that player ends up not being able to play and nobody knew about it," said Greg Aiello, the NFL's vice president of public relations.

Injury reports date from the 1940s, when the NFL commissioner, Bert Bell, was dealing with the aftermath of the 1946 championship game between the New York Giants and Chicago Bears. As chronicled in Michael MacCambridge's book "America's Game," there were concerns at the time that two New York players, Merle Hapes and Frank Filchock, had been approached by gamblers and that the game could be part of a fix. Bell ended up suspending both players and reached the conclusion that professional football could not survive unless it was base on absolute honesty. Starting in the 1947 season, Bell required all teams to publish a list of all injured players.

Texans_Chick
10-17-2007, 09:13 AM

Agreed.

Even if he practices some this week, he may not play. If you don't use full effort with sprinting, a sprained quad may not give you issues.

Texans_Chick
10-17-2007, 09:53 AM
NFL Network reports that VY won't practice this week but it doesn't mean that he isn't going to play. That he is going to get treatment twice a day all week.

Silver Oak
10-17-2007, 10:28 AM
I recall in the movie "North Dallas Forty", the RB chose to take a needle to his hammy in order to play. Hammy stiffened up during a screen to the left side and a defensive player leveled him.

Not that I would root for an injury to Uncle Rico, I'm just saying it's a big risk if he's still gimpy on Sunday.

infantrycak
10-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Fisher has always walked the line of credibility with his QB injury reports historically.

How much of that do you think were really injuries v. Fisher accommodating McNair not wanting to practice? Seemed like McNair always had niggling injuries like sore ribs, etc.

I just saw the VY injury play yesterday--that looked like pulling something fairly significantly. I suspect he'll play, but like TC's post said, it may not be the best idea long term for the Titans this season. That looked like an injury which could be made worse.

Double Barrel
10-17-2007, 11:24 AM
I think it's risking a lot to play VY this week. Of all games to ask him to not give it his all, I'd think this is the one that he tries to go above and beyond for his hometown crowd and to continue his grudge against the Texans for not picking him.

With what TC is reporting, I don't see him stopping himself from doing what he does, and that could lead to longer term repercussions.

drewmar74
10-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Oh no! Ingle Martin!

"The Titans on Tuesday released punter Josh Miller, a move that gives the team roster flexibility as it waits to see how quarterback Vince Young recovers from his injury. The Titans now have an open spot on their 53-man roster and could fill it later in the week by elevating from the practice squad quarterback Ingle Martin, who played at Montgomery Bell Academy. It all depends on how Young's condition is in the coming days. Titans Coach Jeff Fisher said on his weekly radio show Tuesday night Young is improving, though he is not expected to practice today as the team begins preparation for Sunday's game at Houston. Because there is potential future risk involved with what Fisher called a "significant strain," the Titans will be careful with the injury."

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071017/SPORTS01/710170426/1328/SPORTS

Vinny
10-17-2007, 02:46 PM
I like Ingle Martin quite a bit...he is a heck of a young prospect. I know that RP over at HPF was drooling over him as a sleeper when he was coming out.

drewmar74
10-17-2007, 02:50 PM
I like Ingle Martin quite a bit...he is a heck of a young prospect. I know that RP over at HPF was drooling over him as a sleeper when he was coming out.

Hey, it was all I could come up with to lead that link off with!

You probably won't find that name, though, in the 10 manliest names thread on this board.

Think you can read anything into that move (if it happens) with regards to VY and that strain?

Specnatz
10-17-2007, 02:51 PM
The NFL mandates that you disclose injuries (http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/09/sports/nfl.php)...part of the reason is so the gambling people don't get deep inside scoops and further infest the sport. Fisher has always walked the line of credibility with his QB injury reports historically.

OK that I understand but question if it is to prevent the gamblers or help. If they dont know then they screw up on a line it could cost them huge dollars. There has been a long history of teams fudging the report. For examle a guy cut his toenail to close and all of a sudden it list him as having a sore foot and probable or questionable on the injury report.

Vinny
10-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Hey, it was all I could come up with to lead that link off with!

You probably won't find that name, though, in the 10 manliest names thread on this board.

Think you can read anything into that move (if it happens) with regards to VY and that strain?If VY doesn't play then Collins will need a back up if he gets hurt...that's about all I can see. Both Collins and VY are 55% passers lifetime so their passing game will be about the same with either QB. VY improves their running game if he is healthy unlike Collins would however. When Young is in the game the RB has one less defender keying on him since Young does a lot of option reads where he reads the end and takes off with the ball depending on if the end is crashing or taking a wide angle. It's very veer-like, but teams have to spy Young...that gives their running backs a bit of an edge. It's no coincidence that the team started running the ball better when Young started playing last year. He just changes how you scheme your defense.

Texans_Chick
10-17-2007, 03:10 PM

A play:

Texan fan: The (other team's) quarterback _________ is (old)(inexperienced)(coming off a terrible performance) and/or (just awful). Everyone rejoice!

Game recap: And the (other team's) quarterback just got a career high (amazingly high) completion percentage, (astounding) QB rating, and (big number) TDs. They were able to convert (stomach turning)% of third downs. The Texans were unable to put consistent pressure on the quarterback with their vanilla schemes, __________ got comfortable in the pocket and dinked and dunked on the Texans secondary all day.

Texan fan: I thought Groundhog's Day was in February? When will I ever learn that there is no quarterback too awful to move the ball against the Texans defense? I will blame it all on Mario because that is what John McClain does.

The End.

Fade to black.

FWIW, VY did not practice today.

The biggest help to this young Texans defense is not what quarterback is playing, but winning the field position battle and having the offense keep them off the field by playing well and not turning the ball over. As they are currently configured and coached, they are not a dominant defense.

drewmar74
10-17-2007, 03:26 PM
A play:

Texan fan: The (other team's) quarterback _________ is (old)(inexperienced)(coming off a terrible performance) and/or (just awful). Everyone rejoice!

Game recap: And the (other team's) quarterback just got a career high (amazingly high) completion percentage, (astounding) QB rating, and (big number) TDs. They were able to convert (stomach turning)% of third downs. The Texans were unable to put consistent pressure on the quarterback with their vanilla schemes, __________ got comfortable in the pocket and dinked and dunked on the Texans secondary all day.

You're not saying we've been down this road before, are you?

Lucky
10-17-2007, 05:35 PM
FWIW, VY did not practice today.
Not to worry. John McClain will kiss Vince's boo-boo and make it all better.

Ingle Martin beating the Texans? That could never happen.

Signed,
Ryan Fitzpatrick

Texan_Bill
10-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Not to worry. John McClain will kiss Vince's boo-boo and make it all better.

Unless Rich Lord beats 'em to the punch!!

TexansLucky13
10-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Unless Rich Lord beats 'em to the punch!!

or Vinny.... :stirpot:

:hides:

infantrycak
10-18-2007, 10:10 AM
From profootballtalk.com

"That's enough about the injury, please, I'm begging you,'' Young said. "It's enough. I can't do nothing about it. What do you want me to say? I am saying the same thing over and over, the same question. Y'all are just re-wording it.

"I can't just tell you I'm playing and then don't play,'' Young added. "That is like me lying not only to my teammates, but to the rest of the people in the world that want to see me play.'

That doesn't sound like a guy who thinks he is going to play.

Htownsportsfan
10-18-2007, 10:31 AM
I have seen and heard several interviews with VY in the last day or so and he does not seem like the same guy. He made a point fo stressing how this is just one game on the schedule and is no more important than any other game. He even came right out and said he was annoyed at having to answer the question about it being Houston and his home town. That does not sound like the same guys who stays laid back about everything, even stating last year how special it is to play at home if front of family and friends. I am not shrink but I did stay at a holiday in express last night so here goes, my guess is either he does not feel he is going to play and is down playing the importance of this game, or being 2-0 against us last year he wants to down play his game in case they lose.