PDA

View Full Version : Rules

Specnatz
10-14-2007, 06:48 PM
Someone please explain to me the complete definition on blocking, you have a 5 yard window, that I know but if you are on the 3yard line; does it mean you can block well into the endzone?

I just want to understand the contact and blocking rules for defense players and offensive players.

Rex King
10-14-2007, 07:50 PM
I was wondering myself:
http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference

"Offensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is snapped until the ball is touched."

"Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Blocking downfield by an offensive player prior to the ball being touched."

Nothing in there about 5 yard-rule.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/useofhands

"Exception: An eligible receiver is considered to be an obstructing opponent ONLY to a point five yards beyond the line of scrimmage unless the player who receives the snap clearly demonstrates no further intention to pass the ball. Within this five-yard zone, a defensive player may chuck an eligible player in front of him. A defensive player is allowed to maintain continuous and unbroken contact within the five-yard zone until a point when the receiver is even with the defender."

Seems to suggest five yards is considered from the line of scrimmage regardless of where it is. This isn't clear either and only applies to the defender.

But seems it would be a clear case of "picking" the defender if you don't call it blocking, which is illegal anywhere on the field.

Bungster
10-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Ah, still looking for answers huh?

Here, I'll make it easy for you.

texans LOST!!!

real
10-15-2007, 02:12 AM
I think the refs got that play wrong...

I think after a certain point you have to let the defender go....

It should have been offensive pass interference...

You can't block guys down field on a passing play...That'd be too easy if it were legal...you'd see it all the time...

But I dunno...whatever...we lost...