PDA

View Full Version : ESPN... "The AFC South is the most competitive division in the NFL..."

Luv_ya_blue
10-12-2007, 09:25 AM
This morning on Sportscenter, ESPN analyst Sean Salsbury(sp) declared that the AFC South is "...the strongest and most competitive division in the NFL with all teams over 500 and all of those teams vying for a playoff spot..."
:texflag:
Sorry I don't have a link...but it was pretty cool to hear.
Although I REALLY don't like Salsbury(sp).
We're getting some props for the teams play.
I don't think that it's "about time" simply because we've never really played at this level. I know that a lot of guys have an axe to grind with ESPN for one reason or another, so to each his own.
I think that we're playing some good ball and people are taking notice. It's gonna be a good season to be a Texans fan!

HOU-TEX
10-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Rich Eisen, Rod Woodson and Marshall Faulk all said the AFC South is the toughest division so far too. On TA 4 downs.:cool:

mootini
10-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Weakest AFC East....Cheers to the AFC South!!! Let's beat up on the AFC West, and NFC South!!!!

Ole Miss Texan
10-12-2007, 10:34 AM
Combined record of the AFC South is 14-4 (3 losses within the division, and only 1 loss outside our division)!

Vinny
10-12-2007, 11:21 AM
I said it too....a while back. But I don't have a TV gig.

Hardcore Texan
10-12-2007, 11:41 AM
This morning on Sportscenter, ESPN analyst Sean Salsbury(sp) declared that the AFC South is "...the strongest and most competitive division in the NFL with all teams over 500 and all of those teams vying for a playoff spot..."
Sorry I don't have a link...but it was pretty cool to hear.
Although I REALLY don't like Salsbury(sp).
We're getting some props for the teams play.

I don't think that it's "about time" simply because we've never really played at this level. I know that a lot of guys have an axe to grind with ESPN for one reason or another, so to each his own.
I think that we're playing some good ball and people are taking notice. It's gonna be a good season to be a Texans fan!

I heard that too, but it was last night on SC when I heard it, they are probably re-airing the same show.

I think we have all known this for some time....I don't really like Salisbury or Schlerth either, they must have overheard Michael Smith and decided to repeat something intelligent for a change.

DBCooper
10-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Weakest AFC East....Cheers to the AFC South!!! Let's beat up on the AFC West, and NFC South!!!!

Actually, I'd like to see the AFC West and the NFC South beat up on the Jags, Titans, and Colts.

Hooston Texan
10-12-2007, 11:52 AM
For further evidence: here's a breakdown of each division's record outside of its own division.

AFC East: 3-9. Take out New England, and it's 0-9.
AFC South: 11-1. Grrrr on the one loss.
AFC Central: 7-6.
AFC West: 5-8.

NFC East: 8-2. Both losses to Green Bay.
NFC South: 3-8. Our division has clobbered them.
NFC Central: 6-5.
NFC West: 3-7.

Based on the records, the only division close to us is the NFC East, but when you look at who each has beaten, it is no contest.

The AFC South has:
Beaten the preseason NFC favorite (New Orleans) twice [Indy and Tenn].
Won at another NFC playoff contender (Carolina) while Delhomme was healthy [us].
Beaten Denver twice, once in Denver [Indy and Jax].
Beaten Tampa decisively [Indy].
Sure we have taken down some patsies like Atlanta (twice), Kansas City (twice) and Miami, but we've basically beaten all comers save our stinker in Atlanta.

In contrast, the NFC East has exactly one quality win, Dallas' win over Chicago. The rest of their wins have come against Detroit (Phi and Wash), Miami (Dall and Wash), St. Louis (Dall), Buffalo (Dall in a miracle) and the Jets (NYG). Four of those five teams are either winless (StL or Miami) or have one win (Jets, whose only win was Miami, and Buffalo, who've only beaten the Jets).

That could change, but right now, the premier division is the AFC South, without much question.

Double Barrel
10-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Talking heads make a killing at stating obvious assumptions. I'd give them a lot more credit if they had predicted the AFC South being so strong before the season started. As it is, they just look at the standings and then dress up in their Captain Obvious tights and cape.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~joe14580/captain%20obvious.jpg

Mr teX
10-12-2007, 01:03 PM

LOL

Malloy
10-12-2007, 01:17 PM

You knew it because of our new and improved OL?

Vinny
10-12-2007, 02:27 PM
This off-season I was just one of the few saying that the Titans were going to be good while most of the fan base were laughing at them for their "horrible" off-season....I always thought that Fisher coached young teams better than older vet teams and I thought they had a great base core...plus they have a QB that is hard to stop on 3rd downs and in the 4th quarter, and makes the running game better than it would be without having to pay so much attention to stopping the VY....Look at Ced Benson and how he struggles without Young...I am starting to think he got more out of VY than anyone and that he should credit VY for his top 5 selection.

threetoedpete
10-12-2007, 02:33 PM
So vinny have you got the Titants marked down for a play off run ?

Vinny
10-12-2007, 02:37 PM
So vinny have you got the Titants marked down for a play off run ?probably wild card...I think two teams make it from the AFC South.

Texans_Chick
10-12-2007, 02:47 PM
This off-season I was just one of the few saying that the Titans were going to be good while most of the fan base were laughing at them for their "horrible" off-season....I always thought that Fisher coached young teams better than older vet teams and I thought they had a great base core...plus they have a QB that is hard to stop on 3rd downs and in the 4th quarter, and makes the running game better than it would be without having to pay so much attention to stopping the VY....Look at Ced Benson and how he struggles without Young...I am starting to think he got more out of VY than anyone and that he should credit VY for his top 5 selection.

Fisher is a great coach. I like what they have done with their defense, even with Pac Man gone.

Rumors suggest that Ced Benson is a bit of a nickle head. Does stupid stuff that hasn't really hit the media, but not really as football focused as he should be and not a hard worker.

Look at what VY did with a receiving corp his junior year that most everyone said was going to do horrible with Roy Williams gone.

Just saying, don't mean to derail this post.

Vinny
10-12-2007, 02:58 PM
Fisher is a great coach. I like what they have done with their defense, even with Pac Man gone.

Rumors suggest that Ced Benson is a bit of a nickle head. Does stupid stuff that hasn't really hit the media, but not really as football focused as he should be and not a hard worker.

Look at what VY did with a receiving corp his junior year that most everyone said was going to do horrible with Roy Williams gone.

Just saying, don't mean to derail this post.Not that he wasn't a good solid NFL back but Travis Henry parlayed a big payday from being in a backfield with Young just like Benson did. It's not a coinkidinki that the Titans didn't run the ball well when Collins was their QB last year and all of a sudden were a powerhouse running team when Young came in. Young changes defensive schemes.

dalemurphy
10-12-2007, 03:20 PM

I've been thoroughly unimpressed with Tennessee's wins so far. While they apparently have a good defense, I can't by into an offense with bad WRs, a QB that can't throw accurately, and an average set of RBs. That Atlanta game was some of the ugliest football I've seen- and I'm a Texan fan!

The Pencil Neck
10-12-2007, 03:26 PM
I've been thoroughly unimpressed with Tennessee's wins so far. While they apparently have a good defense, I can't by into an offense with bad WRs, a QB that can't throw accurately, and an average set of RBs. That Atlanta game was some of the ugliest football I've seen- and I'm a Texan fan!

You've got to respect ... well... maybe not RESPECT... but you've got to at least fear a team that can and will keep fighting and win with just defense and an offense that only hits the occasional big play.

I'm not going to disrespect their wins because they've all been gutsy so far.

DiehardChris
10-12-2007, 03:33 PM
I'm actually very impressed with the Titans. If I'm not mistaken, since Vince took over they've only lost to the Colts and Patriots. Am I wrong about that?

EDIT - Ah, I forgot they lost to Baltimore and Jacksonville last year soon after he took over. Still... pretty impressive.

The Pencil Neck
10-12-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm actually very impressed with the Titans. If I'm not mistaken, since Vince took over they've only lost to the Colts and Patriots. Am I wrong about that?

I think you're wrong about that.

They've also lost to the Jaguars and the Ravens.

DiehardChris
10-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Yeah, check my edit.

Double Barrel
10-12-2007, 04:10 PM

They beat ATL while we got owned by the same team.

And the Dolphins game we barely won was much, much uglier, IMO. At least the Titans has a defense that shows up! Ours was around for a couple of games and seems to have gone AWOL. We barely escaped the awesome play of blind melon Lemon last week.

The Titans are a contender. Not a powerhouse, but I'd be surprised if they don't clench a wildcard. With a running game and consistent defense, then add in a playmaking QB who is dangerous on 3rd downs and in the 4th qtr., they will be a tough opponent for any team (even Indy!).