PDA

View Full Version : Testaverde with Panthers

HoustonFrog
10-10-2007, 01:06 PM
That's trust for ya

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3056695

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Vinny Testaverde isn't finished yet -- even at age 43.

The Carolina Panthers, desperate for a backup quarterback with Jake Delhomme out for the season, signed Testaverde to a one-year deal on Wednesday.

Testaverde, the No. 1 overall pick by Tampa Bay in the 1987 draft, is joining his sixth franchise. He has played in 226 games with 208 starts. He was cut by New England before the start of the season.

"We decided he was our best option," general manager Marty Hurney said. "He brings experience. He throws the ball extremely well. He's a fierce competitor. It seems like he'll be an extremely good fit for us."

2BCF
10-10-2007, 01:19 PM
ROFL

This should save the Panther's organization a bundle on gloves.

Malloy
10-10-2007, 01:31 PM
hmm... Carr did hurt his back, so it might be in response to him being hurt more than it is in response to his sucky play.

Most likely it's both :)

Mr teX
10-10-2007, 02:07 PM
hmm... Carr did hurt his back, so it might be in response to him being hurt more than it is in response to his sucky play.

COSIGN

HoustonFrog
10-10-2007, 02:08 PM

Probably!!

real
10-10-2007, 03:04 PM
I don't think David's injury has much to do with it...

But then again...Maybe it does....

Vinny
10-10-2007, 03:10 PM
I don't think David's injury has much to do with it...

But then again...Maybe it does....
It was the coaches injury to their eyes that inspired them to sign Vinny T. After watching game film of Carr they tried to poke their eyes out with sharp sticks.

CloakNNNdagger
10-10-2007, 03:26 PM
It was the coaches injury to their eyes that inspired them to sign Vinny T. After watching game film of Carr they tried to poke their eyes out with sharp sticks.

Priceless.......lol:) :) :) :) Rep coming your way.

gtexan02
10-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Carr said the injury to his back was career threatening.

Right.

Good thing it wasnt his hair

Hervoyel
10-10-2007, 03:51 PM
On one of the Panthers boards I saw someone commenting that you're not a "real" NFL team until you've paid Vinny Testaverde a paycheck for some portion of a season. They wanted to make sure that they made his list of former teams before it was too late.

Made me laugh.

2BCF
10-10-2007, 03:52 PM

Right.

Ahh...Carr finally sees the righting on the wall.

Malloy
10-10-2007, 04:13 PM

Right.

No way he's talking about his football career. That one's been down the drain.. for a long time... :)

mexican_texan
10-10-2007, 04:45 PM
What? Was Doug Flutie busy with something?

Sideline
10-10-2007, 04:55 PM

Its because Jake has been put on the IR, ending his season. They need a competant backup behind David, the guy has like a 100 years experience, fair play to him being able to keep in shame to keep playing at that age.

I may be one of the few, however I am rooting for David up there in Carolina.

Texan_Bill
10-10-2007, 05:01 PM
George Blanda thinks Testaverde is old. :splits:

kastofsna
10-10-2007, 05:26 PM
it seems you guys don't like David Carr.

bah007
10-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Doesn't Vinny still bench press over 400 pounds? He still could when he was with Dallas a few years ago.

Maybe they just want him to throw cut blocks when Steve Smith gets the ball on a reverse.

Exithios
10-10-2007, 05:37 PM
it seems you guys don't like David Carr.

Quite the contrary... I think he's pretty. :blowakiss:

Hervoyel
10-10-2007, 05:54 PM
George Blanda thinks Testaverde is old. :splits:

Testaverdes first contract was written on clay tablets. In his first season he fell just short of the 3,000 cubit incentive that was written in there.

drewmar74
10-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Testaverdes first contract was written on clay tablets. In his first season he fell just short of the 3,000 cubit incentive that was written in there.

Didn't he come out in the XVII draft?

2BCF
10-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Quite the contrary... I think he's pretty. :blowakiss:

I think he'd make a good bar wench.
Argh, those gloves would help keep me ale cold. :pirate:

Koolaid Time
10-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Of course, he will only play if Carr gets injured or becomes ineffective. (the latter IS possible though)

I give Vinny < 2 quarters if he plays because his lack of mobility will get him killed.

The Pencil Neck
10-10-2007, 09:22 PM
If Carr doesn't perform well and gets sacked all over the place and has problems and then Testaverde comes in and gets sacked all over the place and has problems...

Those Panther fans that were so down on Delhomme are going to be talking about the good old days like Delhomme was the second coming of Tom Brady.

Vinny
10-10-2007, 09:23 PM
If Carr doesn't perform well and gets sacked all over the place and has problems and then Testaverde comes in and gets sacked all over the place and has problems...

Those Panther fans that were so down on Delhomme are going to be talking about the good old days like Delhomme was the second coming of Tom Brady.
take a quick look and see who is sitting on the top of every QB rated in the NFC in today's Chronicle....his name starts with a Del and ends with a homme...Carr doesn't register. Same team, same players, same coaches...drastically different results.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats;jsessionid=B914109451247C819E78CFF6D 1F23F99?conf=ALL&season=2007&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_PASSER_RATING&d-447263-n=1

the wonger need food
10-10-2007, 09:24 PM
They need a competant backup behind David, the guy has like a 100 years experience, fair play to him being able to keep in shame to keep playing at that age.

I may be one of the few, however I am rooting for David up there in Carolina.

They need a competent QB... period.

You're probably one of the 3 rooting for Carr. The guy set this franchise back years with his incompetent play. Why would you not root against him?

kiwitexansfan
10-10-2007, 09:48 PM
They need a competent QB... period.

You're probably one of the 3 rooting for Carr. The guy set this franchise back years with his incompetent play. Why would you not root against him?

Carr gave it 100% every time he put on a Texans jersey so give him credit for that. He's also a nice guy, I for one would like to see a nice guy do well. (although it would irritate me no end after holding us back for the last 3 years.)

Does he have an NFL starters skill set? NO, that is a cold hard fact now.

Testervade may do better than Carr if he gets a chance based purely on knowledge and feel for the game.

Vinny
10-10-2007, 10:55 PM
LOL, yes Carr, held this team back... all by himself. Gee's what a man. But don't forget about the high price of gas... again Carrs fault. Too funny seeing grown men cry about the past... don't ever grow-up. Why we could have been champions if it wasn't for Carr.
speaking of growing up, I thought only the youngsters had crushes on players and were awed by them like you and hulk seem to be...what's your story anyway? I'd like to hear it....It's rare that fans are so enamored with one guy like you are and defend them way after they are gone from the franchise they claim to support. Relative? I know Hulk is and his ongoing support makes sense to me...but you? It's time...come clean wouldja. It would explain alot.

Honoring Earl 34
10-10-2007, 11:01 PM
All the haters are going to find out, the hardway...

Does this mean the value of Green at RB .

the wonger need food
10-11-2007, 05:14 PM
Carr gave it 100% every time he put on a Texans jersey

That's debatable. Most of the Carr stories leaked out of Reliant mentioned the fact that he didn't give 100% and that is why he's not a very good QB.

the wonger need food
10-11-2007, 05:15 PM
LOL, yes Carr, held this team back... all by himself.

Without a doubt.

Second Honeymoon
10-11-2007, 06:09 PM
LOL, yes Carr, held this team back... all by himself. Gee's what a man. But don't forget about the high price of gas... again Carrs fault. Too funny seeing grown men cry about the past... don't ever grow-up. Why we could have been champions if it wasn't for Carr.

Ahha, Caddy hath returned from his self imposed exile. a self imposed exile consisting of Budweiser, pork rinds, and HeeHaw reruns. But I digress....

your manlove for Carr is only equaled by your inability to face reality. Like a crimelab photograph, Carr has been exposed for what he is and always was. A bad QB and a unequivocal huge blunder for Casserley and the Texans inaugural draft in 02. A disaster only surpassed by their inexplicable decision to pick up the 3 YEAR OPTION for Carr after Year 4.

your trolling was successful, I bit....congrats

Noblesse Oblige
10-12-2007, 01:35 PM
Vinny is a genuinely great guy. I met him once when he played on the Clowns. He's got staying power, but this does tend to show how thin NFL-level QB talent is.

I can't believe he'll start on Sunday already. No way could he learn the playbook so fast. Or so you'd think.

HoustonFrog
10-12-2007, 01:40 PM
speaking of growing up, I thought only the youngsters had crushes on players and were awed by them like you and hulk seem to be...what's your story anyway? I'd like to hear it....It's rare that fans are so enamored with one guy like you are and defend them way after they are gone from the franchise they claim to support. Relative? I know Hulk is and his ongoing support makes sense to me...but you? It's time...come clean wouldja. It would explain alot.

I'm pulling up my chair with popcorn because I want to know too. These are the same people who laughed and said Schaub would be a failure behind the same line and that Carr had teams beating down his door. Obviously they either are football illiterate or are some how close to the guy

Carr gave it 100% every time he put on a Texans jersey so give him credit for that. .

Considering his practice schedule this is debatable.

Specnatz
10-12-2007, 01:59 PM
Vinny is a genuinely great guy. I met him once when he played on the Clowns. He's got staying power, but this does tend to show how thin NFL-level QB talent is.

I can't believe he'll start on Sunday already. No way could he learn the playbook so fast. Or so you'd think.

Coach Fox: Hey Vin, you see that short guy over there wearing # 89? He is real fast just throw him the ball when we call for a pass.

Vinny: Hang on sec let me put on my trifocals. Oh yeah I see him, I can do that. That of course is when I am not handing the ball off, right?

Coach Fox: Yes that is the plan.

Double Barrel
10-12-2007, 02:56 PM
All the haters are going to find out, the hardway...

So do you feel you found out "the hardway" about Matt Schaub? Looks like he's the real deal, in spite of your hatred.

CloakNNNdagger
10-12-2007, 03:17 PM
When Carr began dissing the Texans and blaming them for his shortcomings, he forgot an old premise (repeated endlessly by my father throughout my life) that pertains to all of us........."When you blame others, you give up your power to change."

TexanSam
10-12-2007, 03:20 PM
I hope Carr plays tomorrow. I want to see how bad he is as a Panther.

Vinny
10-12-2007, 03:22 PM
I hope Carr plays tomorrow. I want to see how bad he is as a Panther.watch the first play (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29260&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2007&week=REG5)...pretty much sums it all up. Not many QB's will have that much time to throw the ball, then instead of throwing the ball for some reason he takes his eyes off the WR's, turns around and heads for the opponent goal line, straight into a defender...that's the play that got him hurt.

The Pencil Neck
10-12-2007, 03:28 PM
I hope Carr plays tomorrow. I want to see how bad he is as a Panther.

You mean, Sunday.

Honoring Earl 34
10-12-2007, 03:34 PM
When Carr began dissing the Texans and blaming them for his shortcomings, he forgot an old premise (repeated endlessly by my father throughout my life) that pertains to all of us........."When you blame others, you give up your power to change."

I like the quote .

Texan_Bill
10-12-2007, 03:38 PM
watch the first play (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29260&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2007&week=REG5)...pretty much sums it all up. Not many QB's will have that much time to throw the ball, then instead of throwing the ball for some reason he takes his eyes off the WR's, turns around and heads for the opponent goal line, straight into a defender...that's the play that got him hurt.

I counted close to 6 seconds with the ball and that was before he turned and ran the wrong direction.

Double Barrel
10-12-2007, 04:04 PM
watch the first play (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29260&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2007&week=REG5)...pretty much sums it all up. Not many QB's will have that much time to throw the ball, then instead of throwing the ball for some reason he takes his eyes off the WR's, turn around and head for the opponent goal line, straight into a defender...that's the play that got him hurt.

That play epitomizes David Carr. Dude had all the time in the world, failed to check down receivers, and basically gets himself sacked. Typical.

Even funnier is that it's the Saints' D first sack of the season!

The very next play the 3rd string QB comes in and throws a long pass for 43 yards, HIS FIRST PASS OF HIS NFL CAREER!!!

Honoring Earl 34
10-12-2007, 06:18 PM
That play epitomizes David Carr. Dude had all the time in the world, failed to check down receivers, and basically gets himself sacked. Typical.

Even funnier is that it's the Saints' D first sack of the season!

The very next play the 3rd string QB comes in and throws a long pass for 43 yards, HIS FIRST PASS OF HIS NFL CAREER!!!

David's a slump buster .

Specnatz
10-12-2007, 06:34 PM
David's a slump buster .

Better than Mark Grace's type of slump buster.

Honoring Earl 34
10-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Better than Mark Grace's type of slump buster.

Dave's the same kind of slump buster on the Montrose , only pretty .

edo783
10-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Dave's the same kind of slump buster on the Montrose , only pretty .

I don't even want to know what that might mean.:user:

texasguy346
10-12-2007, 10:52 PM

I believe the Panthers offensive coordinator used to work for the Patriots in some capacity, and I imagine he's using a similar style as the Pats. Some might remember Vinny T spent some time with the Patriots so he might not have as hard a time catching up on the playbook.

Specnatz
10-13-2007, 11:40 AM
I don't even want to know what that might mean.:user:

You would have to know the kind of things Mark Grace former Cubs 1st baseman and Arizona 1st baseman said. He talked about a slump buster on the Jim Rome show one time.

bah007
10-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Testeverde gets the start.

HoustonFrog
10-14-2007, 04:53 PM
Testaverde is 9/11. He is better than Carr.

TexanExile
10-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Midway through the second quarter I just saw him evade a near-certain sack by running to the right with surprising speed. His passing was brutal on that series, though, and they're punting now.

I know it's obvious, but had it been #8 back there, even minus the 30 years of age from Testaverde, it would've been a sack.

It ain't pretty, but better than I thought it'd be.

mexican_texan
10-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Testaverde won the Heisman trophy a few years before I was born. Mind blowing.

Brando
10-15-2007, 11:37 AM
He is a better option than Carr. I don't know if anyone caught Carr looking at Testaverde but when VT was celebrating Williams TD with team mates, Carr didn't participate, DC gave Testaverde the evil eye like he was taking the job away from him. lol

Texan_Bill
10-15-2007, 11:46 AM
The general concensus at the Carolina message board is that Carr will start if healthy.. Vinny or Carr (http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/carolina-panthers/62064-vinny-carr.html)

Funny thing is, they were saying two weeks ago, that Carr just needed to get acclimated with the offense before he would be effective. Vinny comes to their team last week and leads them to victory... :hmmm:

StarStruck
10-15-2007, 11:50 AM
He is a better option than Carr. I don't know if anyone caught Carr looking at Testaverde but when VT was celebrating Williams TD with team mates, Carr didn't participate, DC gave Testaverde the evil eye like he was taking the job away from him. lol

For Carr, it has to be disheartening that a soon to be AARP member will probably win his job.

Texans_Chick
10-15-2007, 12:27 PM
An excerpt from today's "The Debriefing (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/15/the-debriefing-the-seven-deadly-sins-of-sunday-week-6/)" (you should read that every day, it is genius)

There are a handful of Arizona Cardinals who were not potty-trained when Vinny Testaverde threw his first NFL touchdown pass 21 years ago.

And 21 years after that day, Vinny Testaverde again took the field and made some of those same young Cardinals once again soil themselves ... while Vinny went about the business of throwing touchdown passes.

What Vinny Testaverde accomplished yesterday is nothing short of amazing. He's 43 years old and spent the last few months sprawled out on his couch, collecting dust ... and with about 2 days of practice, he steps in and beats up a very decent Arizona Cardinals defense, en route to a convincing 25-10 Panthers upset victory.

He did everything you could have wanted him to do:

Started the game 8-of-8
Got the ball to Steve Smith (sounds easy enough, but there's at least one Panthers QB who can't do that, and yes, I'm looking at you, David Carr)
Did not throw an interception
Was not sacked an inordinate number of times (again, I'm looking at you, David Carr ... and by the way, David Carr, if it seems like I'm looking at you a lot, it's because you suck)
Somehow convinced Cardinals cornerback Roderick Hook to spontaneously stop covering Steve Smith on a fly pattern down the sideline
(Hopefully) forced David Carr out of the starting lineup for good

What can you say? If you didn't enjoy what Vinny Testaverde did yesterday, then you're either a Cardinals fan, or you hate old people. Accomplishing what he did at his age and state of inactivity ... it doesn't even make sense.

It makes you wonder what interception-happy quarterback of today will someday return at the age of 43, finally figure out how to not throw interceptions, and become a lovable and inspirational, yet completely immobile rallying point.

If you're a young NFL quarterback, and things aren't going your way right now ... don't give up. Vinny Testaverde once threw 13 TDs and 35 INTs in a year. What I'm saying is ... that 2022 could be your year, Joey Harrington. 2023 has your name's written all over it, Rex Grossman. And 2026 ... that's the year of Tarvaris Jackson.

4Texans
10-15-2007, 02:15 PM
The general concensus at the Carolina message board is that Carr will start if healthy.. Vinny or Carr (http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/carolina-panthers/62064-vinny-carr.html)

Funny thing is, they were saying two weeks ago, that Carr just needed to get acclimated with the offense before he would be effective. Vinny comes to their team last week and leads them to victory... :hmmm:

Hey TB, in MMQB Fox said that Vinny would have 60% of the playbook down in 4 days.... Things that make you go HHHmmmmm?????????

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/10/14/mmqb/index.html

WWJD
10-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Vinny's a freak of nature!

It's outstanding that he can come in and do what he does. J. McClain said he keeps himself in great physical condition.

He's a statue but I think Vinny's great!

Napa Auto Parts
10-15-2007, 04:35 PM
i dont see David Starting for the panthers after how vinny looked my gosh is possible that david carr is the worst QB of all time.:fans: