PDA

View Full Version : Whats the latest on Andre Johnson?

SugarLandTexan
10-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Has anyone heard anything?

The Pencil Neck
10-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Cricket noises.

Actually, we should know more later today. We should get an update in the quotes after practice.

TEXANS84
10-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Demeco Ryans last night on the radio said that Andre should be able to go in two weeks (hopefully that meant for the Titans game).

Take that for what it's worth...

gtexan02
10-10-2007, 12:04 PM
Interviewed after the game last Sunday
He said the brace was off and he was working on rehabilitation and strength conditioning
Said he was going to take it DTD

Apparently he is expected to probably miss another week or two and was seen as not optimistic

Double Barrel
10-10-2007, 12:04 PM
I hope he's back in time for the Titans game. We need all the weapons we can get, because I see it as a 'must win'. I can't stand losing to them in our stadium, all things considered.

Porky
10-10-2007, 12:26 PM
I hope he's back in time for the Titans game. We need all the weapons we can get, because I see it as a 'must win'. I can't stand losing to them in our stadium, all things considered.

Yup, it's going to be very difficult to win on the road at JAX given that they have the best scoring D in the league at about 10 points per game, and we are missing our best player, and others are banged up. We also have SD on the road the week after Titans, and that is going to be extremely difficult to win. That makes the Titans game a must win if they are wanting to stay in the thick of the playoff race. If not, we may fade quickly to also-ran status.

We need to win at bare min, 1 out of the next 3 to hold on. 2 out of 3 would be awesome, but I'm not holding my breath. Then the schedule turns more favorable again and (crossing fingers) our health should be back at closer to full strength, so we can make a nice closing run and finish with about 9 wins.

New_Texans
10-10-2007, 01:29 PM
This injury has lasted a lot longer than I thought it would. How about Jacoby, Is he on his way?

Second Honeymoon
10-10-2007, 01:31 PM
i may be a homer, but I think there is no doubt we should win the next 3 games with or without AJ. JVille is overrated per usual, Titans have some payback coming there way, and Oakland still has no QB to speak of.

6-2 should be our target and I actually think we will get there.

texanskan
10-10-2007, 01:35 PM
i may be a homer, but I think there is no doubt we should win the next 3 games with or without AJ. JVille is overrated per usual, Titans have some payback coming there way, and Oakland still has no QB to speak of.

we play San Diego before Oakland

duvalbill
10-10-2007, 01:49 PM

Overrated? What leads you to that conclusion? I'm not saying you're wrong, but what makes you think that. The Jags are allowing the second fewest points in the entire league and the offense is starting to gain an identity. I think the Texans are going to have a very difficult time coming out of Jacksonville with a win, but it has been done before.

TexansSB07
10-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Overrated? What leads you to that conclusion? I'm not saying you're wrong, but what makes you think that. The Jags are allowing the second fewest points in the entire league and the offense is starting to gain an identity. I think the Texans are going to have a very difficult time coming out of Jacksonville with a win, but it has been done before.

Jags had a top 5 defense last season, how much help was it against us with a POOR QB and no running game. We have a great QB and 2 good WR's besides AJ, we looking for another win:fans:

MightyTExan
10-10-2007, 02:19 PM
http://padmeandleia.com/leia/images/han01.jpg
"I've got a bad feeling about this."

duvalbill
10-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Jags had a top 5 defense last season, how much help was it against us with a POOR QB and no running game. We have a great QB and 2 good WR's besides AJ, we looking for another win:fans:

I thought Jacoby Jones was out for the game as well. If so, who are these 2 other good WR's you speak of?

Spike
10-10-2007, 02:26 PM
With the injuries on offense and the way the defense has started the past two games, I don't think any game that we play is a gimme. I really hope we can win 2/3, but will be satisfied if we are 4/4 at the half-way mark.

dickieb
10-10-2007, 02:51 PM
I hope the team doesn't view the Jags as overrated. Sometimes as fans we can get to feeling somewhat bulletproof about our team, I have confidence in them as long as they prepare for a tough hard fought game. Even if we end up blowing them out, it will be due to good execution and good preparation by us and not because the Jags suck.

TxDavid
10-10-2007, 07:20 PM
I don't expect to see AJ any time soon. But I'm not worried. The Jags always have trouble with us. We've got their number and Schaub is gonna lead us to victory.
:fans:

Runner
10-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Jags had a top 5 defense last season, how much help was it against us with a POOR QB and no running game. We have a great QB and 2 good WR's besides AJ, we looking for another win

And the Texans scored one offensive TD each in three of their five games this season.

Go defense! Go special teams!

Double Barrel
10-10-2007, 07:30 PM
And the Texans scored one offensive TD each in three of their five games this season.

Go defense! Go special teams!

Some stats are worthless, and some are just depressingly realistic. The one mentioned in your post is the latter. How folks can elevate us to an assumed dominant team is perplexing, IMO. As much as I want us to win with all my heart, my head says we'll be lucky to win 1 out of the next 3. We have some serious issues right now that can be exploited by our opponents. Hopefully some of this stuff is rectified and the Texans represent. Getting some of our playmakers healthy will be a big step in that direction.

the wonger need food
10-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Andre's status for Sunday: According to Adam Schefter... very, very doubtful.

NitroGSXR
10-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Some stats are worthless, and some are just depressingly realistic. The one mentioned in your post is the latter. How folks can elevate us to an assumed dominant team is perplexing, IMO. As much as I want us to win with all my heart, my head says we'll be lucky to win 1 out of the next 3. We have some serious issues right now that can be exploited by our opponents. Hopefully some of this stuff is rectified and the Texans represent. Getting some of our playmakers healthy will be a big step in that direction.

I was reading the Austin-American Statesman today and they had the league leaders in there. Matt Schaub is third in the AFC behind Manning and Brady in passing yards. I was floored to find that out. Our run game has really put Schaub's heroics down. What I'm trying to get at is that I don't think that would be a worthless stat. Especially when it's *insert scrub here* catching the football. I would assume that teams know that we have no run game so our receivers are well covered in the endzone when we're in the redzone so we're forced to run the football and we all know that's not going to work with Dayne and Gado back there. I expect our TD numbers to jump drastically when Green comes back. The threat that he has just thins out defenses when they're defending our receivers. I don't know if I made much sense but it's how I'd parlay a stat to be misleading yet so valuable. We're not missing Andre Johnson as much as one would think but we're certainly missing Ahman Green for the threat that he brings to the table alone.

I guess I'm trying to say that Schaub's passing yards is a very realistic stat yet so worthless.

Leahmic223
10-10-2007, 07:52 PM
I was reading the Austin-American Statesman today and they had the league leaders in there. Matt Schaub is third in the AFC behind Manning and Brady in passing yards. I was floored to find that out. Our run game has really put Schaub's heroics down. What I'm trying to get at is that I don't think that would be a worthless stat. Especially when it's *insert scrub here* catching the football. I would assume that teams know that we have no run game so our receivers are well covered in the endzone when we're in the redzone so we're forced to run the football and we all know that's not going to work with Dayne and Gado back there. I expect our TD numbers to jump drastically when Green comes back. The threat that he has just thins out defenses when they're defending our receivers. I don't know if I made much sense but it's how I'd parlay a stat to be misleading yet so valuable. We're not missing Andre Johnson as much as one would think but we're certainly missing Ahman Green for the threat that he brings to the table alone.

I guess I'm trying to say that Schaub's passing yards is a very realistic stat yet so worthless.

I think we are missing Andre Johnson a lot more than one would think here.

The guy is a playmaker that stretches the field and gives other WRs open catches. Not only that, he can do damage after he catches the ball, who else does? All our other WRs catch it and go down.

I don't know, I get the feeling that most of you feel like we don't change much without him. Also look at how he was playing with Schaub a Actual QB and he was looking better than he ever did. The guy was on pace to have a 2,000 yd season. I'm not going to downplay him, we'll struggle and claw to win every game without him and if he's missing the next 3 games, we'll be lucky to win 2 of them and should be happy to win one of them with him out.

NitroGSXR
10-10-2007, 09:40 PM
I think we are missing Andre Johnson a lot more than one would think here.

The guy is a playmaker that stretches the field and gives other WRs open catches. Not only that, he can do damage after he catches the ball, who else does? All our other WRs catch it and go down.

I don't know, I get the feeling that most of you feel like we don't change much without him. Also look at how he was playing with Schaub a Actual QB and he was looking better than he ever did. The guy was on pace to have a 2,000 yd season. I'm not going to downplay him, we'll struggle and claw to win every game without him and if he's missing the next 3 games, we'll be lucky to win 2 of them and should be happy to win one of them with him out.

I know but we also had Ahman Green keeping defenses honest before Johnson went down. It all started to unravel when Green went down the next week. That's the point that I'm trying to get across.

Please don't misunderstand, we NEED Andre Johnson. I'm just in the though process that right now we need for Ahman Green to return rather than Andre Johnson. Thus we're not missing him as much as one would assume. We can wait another week for Johnson.

Leahmic223
10-10-2007, 09:46 PM
I know but we also had Ahman Green keeping defenses honest before Johnson went down. It all started to unravel when Green went down the next week. That's the point that I'm trying to get across.

Please don't misunderstand, we NEED Andre Johnson. I'm just in the though process that right now we need for Ahman Green to return rather than Andre Johnson. Thus we're not missing him as much as one would assume. We can wait another week for Johnson.

I just don't think we can wait another week for Johnson or Jones.

Green is good...but Jags run defense is pretty darn good, if they want to focus and shut down Green I think they are very capable of doing it. That's why we need Johnson in there to warn them...if you put 8 in the box, we are going to burn you.

NitroGSXR
10-10-2007, 09:49 PM
I just don't think we can wait another week for Johnson or Jones.

Green is good...but Jags run defense is pretty darn good, if they want to focus and shut down Green I think they are very capable of doing it. That's why we need Johnson in there to warn them...if you put 8 in the box, we are going to burn you.

So you're saying that you would rather have Andre return rather than Green?

AnthonyE
10-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Our receiving corp is good for now.

All players are contributing, especially Daniels and Davis.

We need Jones this week for kick returns.

Leahmic223
10-11-2007, 04:08 AM
So you're saying that you would rather have Andre return rather than Green?

I'm saying the Jags run defense is good enough to stop the run if they focus on it, if we had a big threat at WR in there, they probably would never have the chance to key in on the run game.

We'll see, but some of you are kind of down playing his importance to this team. Yes our WRs our doing good without him, but we are so much better with him just in there. Johnson can take a 5 yard pass and make stretch it for 10 more yards or more, and thats what he had to do with Carr in there of course.

Its like the Colts if they were missing Harrison and Wayne, it wouldn't be a problem if they were playing the Dolphins next week, but it would be a MAJOR problem if they were playing a better team.

That is what I see, we were good enough to beat a Fins team without Johnson and Green, are we good enough to actually beat Jacksonville without our best offensive player and weapon?

threetoedpete
10-11-2007, 05:31 AM
Demeco Ryans last night on the radio said that Andre should be able to go in two weeks (hopefully that meant for the Titans game).

Take that for what it's worth...

Yep I'm reading between the kubes coaching smoke singnals. I'm guessing they're going to give him an extra week. It was twisted that is why it is so bad. If It had been just back and forth...but the knee was twisted as he fell with his body weight on it. It was just a nasty injury.

threetoedpete
10-11-2007, 05:42 AM
I'm saying the Jags run defense is good enough to stop the run if they focus on it, if we had a big threat at WR in there, they probably would never have the chance to key in on the run game.

We'll see, but some of you are kind of down playing his importance to this team. Yes our WRs our doing good without him, but we are so much better with him just in there. Johnson can take a 5 yard pass and make stretch it for 10 more yards or more, and thats what he had to do with Carr in there of course.

Its like the Colts if they were missing Harrison and Wayne, it wouldn't be a problem if they were playing the Dolphins next week, but it would be a MAJOR problem if they were playing a better team.

That is what I see, we were good enough to beat a Fins team without Johnson and Green, are we good enough to actually beat Jacksonville without our best offensive player and weapon?

The problem with the jags has nothing to do with the skill guys. What the game will hinge on is can our center and gaurds beat their DTs. And can Salaam hold the course with Spicer. Ahmen and MS aren't going to do very much if our centers and gaurds can't move thier middle. If the center gaurds cannot move 'em Salaam will be acedemic.

Well if the last game proved anything it proved that on a third down play, A.J. doesn't need to be the rain maker every time. If you run the same play over and over again against NFL Saftey's they are going to figure it out. And the fifth time, they did. That late in the game, we already had scored off the fricken play....Max Block and let OD go to the flag...OD was wide open on the paly that a.j. scored on btw. The safties show a nibble at the play...burn 'em deep. Isn't that what we're tring to do ? Suck the safties up and beat 'em deep ? I'm all for sucking the clock out and moving the chains. It just dosen't have to be A.J. everytime. And certainly not after you've given them a peek at the damn thing four times befor. Let Walter do the dirty work late in the game. He certainly did it against Miami. He certainly coulde use the targets.My book Sherman and Matt need to do a better job. They can't afford to lose too many more Wrs the rest of the way. It's going to hit critical mass in about four weeks if something doesn't change.

Malloy
10-11-2007, 06:06 AM
:penalty: on his parents. personal foul, naming your kid something stupid.

Oh well, we can't all be named Bubba...

TEXANS84
10-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Yep I'm reading between the kubes coaching smoke singnals. I'm guessing they're going to give him an extra week. It was twisted that is why it is so bad. If It had been just back and forth...but the knee was twisted as he fell with his body weight on it. It was just a nasty injury.

When I watched Andre walk off the field on last Sunday, his brace was off...but he's still limping considerably. And it's not just a little limp.

Hearing reports that he's finally running is positive news...I just don't feel as if we'll see him back until after the Titans game ( I would love to have him back for that game, but understand at the same time).

jaxfan21
10-11-2007, 09:11 AM
The Jaguars will not put 8 in the box. Maybe on a certain play but it is not that often. We have such a good D line and some good run stuffers in our LB's that we will not commit to 8 in the box. We just shut down LJ and Travis Henry so Green (who is one more hit from retirement) will not get 8 in the box.
Salaam will not have to worry about Spicer as Spicer is usually on the RT. The guy he will be on is Reggie Hayward on first and second and Brent Hawkins usually on 3rd.
The only person that will be hard to guard for the Jags is Owen Daniels. Tony G put up 100 yards on us last week so that is a weakness. And yes I think OD is just as good as Tony G right now. Also the X factor will be a special teams TD if it happens.
This should be a good game. I don't think Matt Jones is going to have alligator arms this year so don't expect to see many ints from Garrard. Look for some deep passes this game from the Jaguars as your secondary is very suspect. Of course we will bring out the run game and it should improve with our C coming back. This is not the same Jaguars from years past folks so be prepared. What happened last year stays last year and there is no reason to talk about it.

GuerillaBlack
10-11-2007, 09:48 AM
are you trying to imply that my name is bubba? because it's not...

andre ware said andre johnson was back to running on the field yesterday. running "gassers" which is apparently kind of hard. i have no idea what a "gasser" is but if i had to guess i'd say andre is feeling good and getting back to full strength. or he needs some bean-o. i'd expect a return in the titans game.

ahman green was also mentioned to be feeling good, and running around in practice too. he said he feels good enough to play, but it really is up to kubiak to play him or not. it's going to be a physical game against the jags, that's for sure. if i had to guess i'd say he plays, we need him too badly to let him rest another week.

jacoby should be back i think. if nothing else, to return kicks. a shoulder injury is probably easier to play through than like...plantar fascitis. i'd really like to see him back, but i have my doubts...
Gassers do suck. We do them every football practice.

JDizzle
10-11-2007, 10:06 AM
andre ware said andre johnson was back to running on the field yesterday. running "gassers" which is apparently kind of hard. i have no idea what a "gasser" is but if i had to guess i'd say andre is feeling good and getting back to full strength. or he needs some bean-o. i'd expect a return in the titans game.

Gassers are when you run from sideline to sideline, then back again, and then back over to the other sideline. That usually counts as 1.

PapaL
10-11-2007, 10:21 AM
The Jaguars will not put 8 in the box. Maybe on a certain play but it is not that often. We have such a good D line and some good run stuffers in our LB's that we will not commit to 8 in the box. We just shut down LJ and Travis Henry so Green (who is one more hit from retirement) will not get 8 in the box.
Salaam will not have to worry about Spicer as Spicer is usually on the RT. The guy he will be on is Reggie Hayward on first and second and Brent Hawkins usually on 3rd.
The only person that will be hard to guard for the Jags is Owen Daniels. Tony G put up 100 yards on us last week so that is a weakness. And yes I think OD is just as good as Tony G right now. Also the X factor will be a special teams TD if it happens.
This should be a good game. I don't think Matt Jones is going to have alligator arms this year so don't expect to see many ints from Garrard. Look for some deep passes this game from the Jaguars as your secondary is very suspect. Of course we will bring out the run game and it should improve with our C coming back. This is not the same Jaguars from years past folks so be prepared. What happened last year stays last year and there is no reason to talk about it.

Is your DL the same from last year and the last few years?

Hervoyel
10-11-2007, 10:21 AM

If I had the kind of history against someone that the Jags have against the Texans then I'd be wanting history to mean nothing too. Sadly the world doesn't work like that. History does mean something, though I'll conceed that with the changes both teams have gone through it's less of a factor than it has been in years past.

Shutting down Larry Johnson this year is not a particularly grand accomplishment. We did it before you did and I wasn't impressed with us when we did it. He's on tired legs and he's all they have aside from Tony. Travis Henry you guys did a good job with. That's worth bragging about.

I expect another close game that may or may not go in the Texans favor. I'm in the easily satisfied camp this year and I'll be content if the Texans show up for this game and are in it until the end. One thing that doesn't get as much attention as the Texans won/loss record agains the Jaguars is that every few games one of these teams just absolutely kills the other. The jags were the first team to shut the Texans out and we got our first ever shutout against them. As long as this game isn't one of the odd blow outs in this series I'll be happy. I want to see Ahman Green produce and this may not be the week to expect it but well, there it is. An effective running game has been the single biggest missing piece since we lost to the Colts three games ago. That's why we're 1-2 over those games.

real
10-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Gassers do suck. We do them every football practice.

They're good for you...

jaxfan21
10-11-2007, 10:58 AM
I agree with you about Larry Johnson he is on tired legs but we still held him to only 12 yards I would say that is a good acomplishment. He just came off a 100 yard game and was back at home in a hostile environment. If we lose come Sunday and it is a big "IF" it is going to be due to Shuab and his passing. Ahman Green will get some yards but don't be expecting too much. Your oline has been good with pass protection but the run game is not that good with some key injuries.

gtexan02
10-11-2007, 11:07 AM
If I had the kind of history against someone that the Jags have against the Texans then I'd be wanting history to mean nothing too. Sadly the world doesn't work like that. History does mean something, though I'll conceed that with the changes both teams have gone through it's less of a factor than it has been in years past.

Shutting down Larry Johnson this year is not a particularly grand accomplishment. We did it before you did and I wasn't impressed with us when we did it. He's on tired legs and he's all they have aside from Tony. Travis Henry you guys did a good job with. That's worth bragging about.

I expect another close game that may or may not go in the Texans favor. I'm in the easily satisfied camp this year and I'll be content if the Texans show up for this game and are in it until the end. One thing that doesn't get as much attention as the Texans won/loss record agains the Jaguars is that every few games one of these teams just absolutely kills the other. The jags were the first team to shut the Texans out and we got our first ever shutout against them. As long as this game isn't one of the odd blow outs in this series I'll be happy. I want to see Ahman Green produce and this may not be the week to expect it but well, there it is. An effective running game has been the single biggest missing piece since we lost to the Colts three games ago. That's why we're 1-2 over those games.

To be fair, we didn't really shut down LJ. He was still averaging well over 4 ypc, its just that they couldn't afford to run the ball much because
A) He hadn't played at all
B) He was sharing time with Bennet
C) They were down early

He had 10 carries for 40+ yards, against the Jags he had 10 carries for 10 yards or something liek that. Its easy to see who had the better game.

I think our run D is overrated, and I think the Jags run D is not. I still think we can win, though, as we dont rely much on our ground game

Specnatz
10-11-2007, 12:50 PM
oh...well...that may be tough but it doesn't SOUND hard at all...

i was expecting something more like doing cartwheels up and down the football stands or something...

wtf is the point of that anyway? why wouldn't you just run around a track?

Because you have to run fully out stop on a dime bend down touch the line and then do the same all the way back. It is harder than you think it is.

Leahmic223
10-11-2007, 05:09 PM
To be fair, we didn't really shut down LJ. He was still averaging well over 4 ypc, its just that they couldn't afford to run the ball much because
A) He hadn't played at all
B) He was sharing time with Bennet
C) They were down early

He had 10 carries for 40+ yards, against the Jags he had 10 carries for 10 yards or something liek that. Its easy to see who had the better game.

I think our run D is overrated, and I think the Jags run D is not. I still think we can win, though, as we dont rely much on our ground game

Those stats were and are don't mean nothing to me. He was held to 40something yards, that is what matters.

The point is Coaches if the run is not working try to avoid him, the reason LJ got 10 carries was because Herm saw it wasn't working. If LJ was really picking up 8ypc I think Herm is even smart enough to give him more carries. The fact is he had two pretty good gains in that game and besides that he was getting 1-4 yards a carry and he was frustrated.

Runner
10-11-2007, 06:20 PM
oh...well...that may be tough but it doesn't SOUND hard at all...

And if just one person doesn't make it back in the allotted time, everyone gets to do extras.

HoustonFrog
10-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Any other word? I've seen this week and as far as November 18th.

Vinny
10-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Any other word? I've seen this week and as far as November 18th.Yesterday Kubiak told us that we won't know much more till Wednesday...so I'm sure it's just nothing but wild speculation till then.

Errant Hothy
10-16-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm starting to feel like he should be kept off the field for as long as possible. I don't want there to be any chance of a re-injury, well that and the fact that I don't think his return is going to solve any of our problems.

It must be the cloud cover here in the DFW but I'm really down on this team rigth now.

HoustonFrog
10-16-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm starting to feel like he should be kept off the field for as long as possible. I don't want there to be any chance of a re-injury, well that and the fact that I don't think his return is going to solve any of our problems.

It must be the cloud cover here in the DFW but I'm really down on this team rigth now.

I feel the same way about letting guys heal. It is just getting frustrating. He would be putting up All-Pro numbers IMHO. He already had started.