PDA

View Full Version : Joe Echemandu

markn
10-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Couldn't find another post mentioning this, but apparantly we've signed JE to the practice sqaud.

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5201423.html

Anyone know anything about him?

Exithios
10-10-2007, 08:46 AM
http://www.nfl.com/players/adimchinobeechemandu/profile?id=ECH077866

Players Main
Adimchinobe Echemandu | #38 | RB

Oakland Raiders | Official Team Site

Height: 5-10 Weight: 225 Age: 26

Born: 11/21/1980 Lagos Nigeria

College: California

Experience: 4th season

High School: Hawthorne HS [CA]
team rostersquick stats (2007) Select a Team Arizona Cardinals Atlanta Falcons Baltimore Ravens Buffalo Bills Carolina Panthers Chicago Bears Cincinnati Bengals Cleveland Browns Dallas Cowboys Denver Broncos Detroit Lions Green Bay Packers Houston Texans Indianapolis Colts Jacksonville Jaguars Kansas City Chiefs Miami Dolphins Minnesota Vikings New England Patriots New Orleans Saints New York Giants New York Jets Oakland Raiders Philadelphia Eagles Pittsburgh Steelers San Diego Chargers San Francisco 49ers Seattle Seahawks St. Louis Rams Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tennessee Titans Washington Redskins CAR
--
YDS
--
AVG
--
TDS
--
Career Stats
Game Logs
Game Splits
Situational Stats

Recent Games more
WK OPP RESULT Rushing Receiving Fumbles
Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Long TD FUM Lost
1 DET L 21-36 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2 @ DEN L 20-23 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
3 CLE W 26-24 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Career Stats more
Season Team Rushing Receiving Fumbles
G GS Att Yds Avg Lng TD Rec Yds Avg Long TD FUM Lost
2007 Oakland Raiders 2 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2006 Oakland Raiders 4 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2005 Minnesota Vikings 2 0 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
2004 Cleveland Browns 4 0 8 25 3.1 6 0 3 25 8.3 19 0 1 1
TOTAL 8 25 3.1 6 0 3 25 8.3 19 0 1 1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cjeremy635
10-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Is it common to have this many Nigerian born players on one team? 4th year and still on the PS? Did we cut someone from the PS to put him there or did we bring someone up? Maybe putting Mathis on IR freed up a space?

Brandon420tx
10-10-2007, 08:53 AM
As long as he can punch a few yards in goal line situations I don't care!!!!

Errant Hothy
10-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Is it common to have this many Nigerian born players on one team? 4th year and still on the PS? Did we cut someone from the PS to put him there or did we bring someone up? Maybe putting Mathis on IR freed up a space?

He takes Williams spot on the PS, since Williams took Mathis' spot on the 53 man roster.

Competition for Walker to get the pass protection stuff down quicker?

Twitch-Houston
10-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Is he a quick back or another "bruiser"? I guess I should use the term "bruiser" loosely since Dayne is not using his weight to it's full potential.

:wheel:

Exithios
10-10-2007, 09:01 AM
It blows my mind that we are picking up more practice squad garbage when our needs at running back are glaring and in need of attention NOW. We had a RB on the practice squad in Darius Walker who isn't ready, so what makes a guy that has been in the league since 04 yet only has 1 game with 8 carries for 25 yards under his belt any better?

If Ahman can stay healthy for more than 2 games at a time then I am all for digging in the trash but my faith is a bit shaken.

My $0.02

Errant Hothy
10-10-2007, 09:06 AM
It blows my mind that we are picking up more practice squad garbage when our needs at running back are glaring and in need of attention NOW. We had a RB on the practice squad in Darius Walker who isn't ready, so what makes a guy that has been in the league since 04 yet only has 1 game with 8 carries for 25 yards under his belt any better?

If Ahman can stay healthy for more than 2 games at a time then I am all for digging in the trash but my faith is a bit shaken.

My $0.02

Ok, smart guy who do you want to get and how do you want to get them here?

Anybody can scream that we need A or B, it's harder to say how it needs to be accomplished (ie, San Diego will not be trading Turner, Dillon is retired, etc. )

Exithios
10-10-2007, 09:19 AM
Ok, smart guy who do you want to get and how do you want to get them here?

Anybody can scream that we need A or B, it's harder to say how it needs to be accomplished (ie, San Diego will not be trading Turner, Dillon is retired, etc. )

You are right, a 3 year vet with 8 carries under his belt for his entire career... We couldn't have possibly done any better than that.

This must have been another "depth" signing. :rolleyes:

Errant Hothy
10-10-2007, 09:26 AM
You are right, a 3 year vet with 8 carries under his belt for his entire career... We couldn't have possibly done any better than that.

This must have been another "depth" signing. :rolleyes:

Who? Tell me who is out there, with pratice squad eleigiblity, that would have been a better signing? Complain all you want, but unless you can find a better option, you're just complaining for the fun of it.

My god, I can't believe you're this worked up over a pratice squad player, who might get cut again in a week or two.

Echemandu was the best option available to stick on the practice squad. The players who most seem to think will fix the RB spot, this year, have no PS eligibilty left.

Exithios
10-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Who? Tell me who is out there, with pratice squad eleigiblity, that would have been a better signing? Complain all you want, but unless you can find a better option, you're just complaining for the fun of it.

My god, I can't believe you're this worked up over a pratice squad player, who might get cut again in a week or two.

Echemandu was the best option available to stick on the practice squad. The players who most seem to think will fix the RB spot, this year, have no PS eligibilty left.

Ramonce Taylor...

Cjeremy635
10-10-2007, 09:29 AM

I forget, what are the rules about signing someone to the PS? Don't we have to activate him for a couple of games or am I thinking of something else entirely?

Errant Hothy
10-10-2007, 09:40 AM
Ramonce Taylor...

Yup that's a brilliant idea :sarcasm:

Let's sign somebody who showed up fat to his pro-day, went undrfated, went unsigned, instead of a player who atleast has a touch of NFL expierence, and has proven to be atleast good enough to get into a game.

Exithios
10-10-2007, 09:43 AM
Yup that's a brilliant idea :sarcasm:

Let's sign somebody who showed up fat to his pro-day, went undrfated, went unsigned, instead of a player who atleast has a touch of NFL expierence, and has proven to be atleast good enough to get into a game.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds as if you are saying that 8 carries in 3years qualifies as tenure over someone with 8 fewer carries....

How about we just agree to disagree.

bigbrewster2000
10-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds as if you are saying that 8 carries in 3years qualifies as tenure over someone with 8 fewer carries....

How about we just agree to disagree.

Ok I will correct you, what he is saying is that he does not want a fat, lazy, Maurice Clarett clone on this team over a guy that can at least stay on a teams practice squad and earn at least a small NFL paycheck.

Errant Hothy
10-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Ok I will correct you, what he is saying is that he does not want a fat, lazy, Maurice Clarett clone on this team over a guy that can at least stay on a teams practice squad and earn at least a small NFL paycheck.

Ding, ding, ding.

infantrycak
10-10-2007, 10:02 AM
I forget, what are the rules about signing someone to the PS? Don't we have to activate him for a couple of games or am I thinking of something else entirely?

He was on the street so he can be signed directly to the practice squad. Any player on a practice squad can be signed by any other team at any time but they must be on the active roster for the next three games.

Cjeremy635
10-10-2007, 10:11 AM
He was on the street so he can be signed directly to the practice squad. Any player on a practice squad can be signed by any other team at any time but they must be on the active roster for the next three games.

Thanks....I thought he was already on their roster, not off the street.

The Pencil Neck
10-10-2007, 10:16 AM

My $0.02

I think you're looking at this all wrong.

We had an open spot on the Practice Squad because Williams was signed up from the PS to take Mathis' spot. So we signed this guy off the street to fill a PS spot. No biggie.

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with our problems in the running game. They're not picking up this guy thinking that he's going to come in and be a starter for us, they're just picking this guy up because they think he might have some talent.

If we're going to make a move to improve our running game, it's not going to be some guy off the street.

False Start
10-10-2007, 10:19 AM
If we're going to make a move to improve our running game, it's not going to be some guy off the street.

Good point . I think this is just trying to add depth fpr down the road .

Texans_Chick
10-10-2007, 10:22 AM

My $0.02

Anthony Maddox was "practice squad garbage" you probably had never heard of before he started playing on the team. His resume includes furniture moving and going to a small school.

And he ended up helping the team last year and this year.

So there you go.

Specnatz
10-10-2007, 10:23 AM

My $0.02

Quotes like this make me wonder about the football IQ of people. I see it a lot in baseball they need this or that why are they not going after it?

It is not like you can run down to the Football supermarket and pick of a ripe runningback from the shipment they just got in.

:wild:

Texans_Chick
10-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Quotes like this make me wonder about the football IQ of people. I see it a lot in baseball they need this or that why are they not going after it?

It is not like you can run down to the Football supermarket and pick of a ripe runningback from the shipment they just got in.

:wild:

I don't know. I saw a really big muscular guy at Costco the other day. He looked fast.

The Pencil Neck
10-10-2007, 10:42 AM
I don't know. I saw a really big muscular guy at Costco the other day. He looked fast.

Oh, please.

Let's not get all excited about some guy's measurables. We've got no assurance that he's not just some workout warrior unless he's had some production on the field.

:texflag:

HoustonFrog
10-10-2007, 10:43 AM

What about Alton that used to be on The Gauntlet and Real World. When my wife was watching that I couldn't believe how fast and strong this guy was. That guy won every competition and he is a great athlete...:superman:

Vinny
10-10-2007, 10:47 AM
The guy has shown the ability to make some rosters for the last 3 years...our backs are garbage. What's the problem?

markn
10-10-2007, 10:50 AM
We had an open spot on the Practice Squad because Williams was signed up from the PS to take Mathis' spot. So we signed this guy off the street to fill a PS spot. No biggie.

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with our problems in the running game. They're not picking up this guy thinking that he's going to come in and be a starter for us, they're just picking this guy up because they think he might have some talent.

Yeah, that's my take too.

It strikes me that RB is one of the 'cursed' positions in the Texans squad, along with Left Tackle. Just as we get excited about our prospects (DD, Green, Chris Taylor / Boselli, Spencer), we're plagued by injury.

However, I trust the FO to break this curse in the same way we've overcome the 2nd WR issue. Pre-season, we looked weak at WR, but thanks to some astute scouting it now looks to be our deepest quality position. Hopefully with a fit Ahman Green, an emergent Chris Taylor and another cunning pick in the (very deep at RB) 2008 draft, we can lay this demon to rest. But until that day comes we're going to have to battle on with what have.

No Ramonce Taylor. Please.

Errant Hothy
10-10-2007, 10:51 AM
The guy has shown the ability to make some rosters for the last 3 years...our backs are garbage. What's the problem?

He's not one of the following; Corey Dillon, Michael Turner, Ramonce Taylor, etc. Some people can't seem to accept the fact that Rick Smith is smarter then they are, espically when it comes to spotting talent.

Hasn't Rick Smith shown enough ability to find good street FAs over the last 18 months that he deserves a free pass from now on?

Porky
10-10-2007, 11:00 AM
OJ Simpson is available. He says he can still cut on a dime, and can block reality cold. :devilpig:

Exithios
10-10-2007, 11:03 AM
I think you're looking at this all wrong.

Your probably right, I tend to read too much into things but it drives me nuts when I keep hearing that we don't have a better option when we are apparently being mentioned as being in trade talks for Mewalde Moore. Obviously, there are better options for our long term.

Anthony Maddox was "practice squad garbage" you probably had never heard of before he started playing on the team. His resume includes furniture moving and going to a small school.

And he ended up helping the team last year and this year.

So there you go.

I have a great deal of respect for you TC but players such as Maddox don't appear on peoples practice squads very often. He was a rare instance and I don't see us getting that lucky again for a while.

dtran04
10-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Chris Taylor was a practice squadder and would probably be playing a decent amount right now.

Errant Hothy
10-10-2007, 11:11 AM
I have a great deal of respect for you TC but players such as Maddox don't appear on peoples practice squads very often. He was a rare instance and I don't see us getting that lucky again for a while.

So I guess sign Vonta Leech off the street doesn't count either?

Andrew6
10-10-2007, 11:12 AM
I know I read this in another thread but what about Jackie Battle.

Exithios
10-10-2007, 11:13 AM
So I guess sign Vonta Leech oof the street doesn't count either?

It would if you counted last years performance, unfortunately he looks like he has lost his form and may have been over valued. I'll recant on him after he has this season behind him.

BigBull17
10-10-2007, 11:15 AM

My $0.02

Sad part is 8 carries for 25 yards is a slight improvement. Sad indeed.

Vinny
10-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Your probably right, I tend to read too much into things but it drives me nuts when I keep hearing that we don't have a better option when we are apparently being mentioned as being in trade talks for Mewalde Moore. Obviously, there are better options for our long term. The Vikings wanted a first day pick. That isn't a better option. Moore is nothing more than a 3rd down back and a spot starter.

DocBar
10-10-2007, 11:18 AM
I guess I don't understand all the fuss over a PS signing. Smith made some great moves with street FA's last season, but that's much easier than finding a RB. IMHO, this signing means very little and we're stuck with what we have this year.

Exithios
10-10-2007, 11:22 AM
The Vikings wanted a first day pick. That isn't a better option. Moore is nothing more than a 3rd down back and a spot starter.

They are asking for a 3rd round pick but I beleive they know how unrealistic that is and a 3rd down back that is a situational starter seems to be better than our other options at this point but I would not give up more than he is worth for sure.

Specnatz
10-10-2007, 11:51 AM

Did you squeez to feel if he was ripe?

powerfuldragon
10-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Did you squeez to feel if he was ripe?
okay, creepy.

2BCF
10-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Did Lundy leave on bad terms??

HoustonFrog
10-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Well this is what the Bucs did if you want to know whe else is out there....what happened to Barlow?The Bucs signed Crockett.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3057257

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers added veteran free agent Zack Crockett to their depleted running back corps on Wednesday, signing the 12-year veteran to a one-year contract.

The Bucs have worked out a number of tailback candidates over the past two weeks, and on Tuesday auditioned a group that included Kevan Barlow, Tony Fisher, Ciatrick Fason and Shaud Williams. The staff felt that Crockett was the best alternative for bolstering a running back situation that has become dire.

Maddict5
10-10-2007, 01:11 PM
It would if you counted last years performance, unfortunately he looks like he has lost his form and may have been over valued. I'll recant on him after he has this season behind him.

i havent watched the game again but watching it live, i thought he cleared a nice lane for the dayne td on the early 4th down play
:heart:

austintexanite
10-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Never heard of this guy, but if he can produce better than Dayne in tough yardage situations I'm all for it.

The Pencil Neck
10-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Did Lundy leave on bad terms??

I didn't think so. And at least they're keeping up with him enough to know that he's trying out with another team.

Vinny
10-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Well this is what the Bucs did if you want to know whe else is out there....what happened to Barlow?The Bucs signed Crockett.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3057257Barlow and Jon Wells run the same way...big guys who run small, but with very little wiggle or ability to make people miss.

Errant Hothy
10-10-2007, 01:45 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3057257

You mean we could have had the greatness that is Shaud Williams and signed Echemandu instead. Fire Rick Smith...NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This really shouldn't be needed, but :sarcasm:

beerlover
10-10-2007, 02:12 PM
interesting pick-up. not much wear & tear the last three years.....did miss a couple years @ Cal w/torn acl. also academic issues. probably last chance for the kid, hope he understands the situation & gets his act together for everyones sake. has excellent size & speed to actually play the position, is not a tweener type, remember him from Cal but not seen him since. the one thing I like about his style is that (once again Rick Smith went after a player who fits their system) he is a one cut, hit the hole & run downhill power back, maybe instead of one or two yards (Miami) he can get that magic 3.3 yds. per carry :shades:

its a cost effective move that addresses need, adding depth to the Texans system. if he shows up to practice don't rule him out of making the roster before this seasons over in some type of rotational role :logo:

texasguy346
10-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Barlow and Jon Wells run the same way...big guys who run small, but with very little wiggle or ability to make people miss.

I seem to recall Barlow having some knee issues too. I could be wrong though.

HoustonFrog
10-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Barlow and Jon Wells run the same way...big guys who run small, but with very little wiggle or ability to make people miss.

I just remember he was going to be the 49ers answer until random injuries and showing nothing to the Jets. By the way, the Jets is a RB wasteland. More guys go there by the year and every year there is musical chairs. Jones hasn't stayed healthy though so we will see.

TexanExile
10-10-2007, 03:11 PM
I want this guy activated and playing, at least for one game, just to hear the announcers work through that name. But they have to call him Adimchinobe, not just "Joe." That's weaseling out.

:tv:

This guy's just occupying a practice squad spot, and I don't consider this a sign of Rick Smith's idiocy or Rick Smith's genius. Any FA RB worth having likely doesn't have practice squad eligibility, so if they think there's a chance he's worth a longer look, go for it.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lundy get another shot, but I wouldn't have high hopes for discovering some lost huge talent there. His main upsides at this point are that he's familiar with the offense, and that he's not Dayne or Samkon Gadawful. Not much to lose at this point, given the failures at RB to date.

Errant Hothy
10-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Lundy CANNOT go to the pratice squad.

mexican_texan
10-10-2007, 03:16 PM
I didn't know there were any Costcos in Houston.

HoustonFrog
10-10-2007, 03:21 PM
I didn't know there were any Costcos in Houston.

I-10 and Bunker Hill is where I go

I think Gessner and Willowbrook have one too.

TexanExile
10-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Lundy CANNOT go to the pratice squad.

Yeah, I know...maybe I didn't word it clearly enough when I changed paragraphs. I have no problem with Echemandu going to the PS because legitimate free agents can't go there. And "legitimate" is even stretching it when we're talking about RBs who are unsigned as late as week 6.

Re: Lundy, I think there's room on the roster to give a FA RB (Lundy or someone else) a shot once one of the starting WRs comes back.