PDA

View Full Version : Some of the power rankings out there...

drewmar74
10-09-2007, 05:48 PM
For the sake of discussion....

Fox Sports - Texans no. 16, down from 13 last week.

Playing without offensive playmakers Ahman Green, Andre Johnson, Jerome Mathis, and Jacoby Jones — the Houston Texans got solid production from some unlikely sources in their 22-19 comeback win over Miami. Ron Dayne, Owen Daniels, Andre Davis, and Kevin Walter all had solid days, while Matt Schaub continued his Pro Bowl form, going 20-of-34 for 294 yards. Kicker Kris Brown was the real star of the afternoon, though, converting five field goals, including a career-long 57-yarder with a second remaining in the win. Houston's now 3-2 with a big division battle in Jacksonville up ahead next weekend.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings

ESPiN - Texans no. 16, up from 17 last week.

Will Kris Brown's 5-FG performance go down as the greatest kicking day in NFL history? It should. He nailed three from 50-plus yards, including the winner from 57 with one second left to beat the Dolphins.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?season=2007&week=6

Pro Football Weekly - Texans at 13.

The nice story lasts another week, but the injured guys had better heal up.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL+Zone/Power+Rankings/2007/rankings06.htm

CBS Sports - Texans at 14
At 3-2, this is an improved team. They can really show it if they can win at Jacksonville this week, even without their big weapons.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10398391

The Pencil Neck
10-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Some of the stats are up.

Our efficiency ratings really suck.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff.php
Our offensive efficiency has stayed the same at #20. Our Pass rank is 14th but our Rush rank is 26th. We've really got to either find some running somewhere or we've got to really embrace the pass. Jacksonville is 8th overall. They're 3rd in passing efficiency. Garrard's lack of INT's adds to that. And they're 10th in rushing.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef.php
In defensive efficiency, we dropped a spot from 17th to 18th. We're 21st against the pass and we're 10th against the run.

Jacksonville is 16th. They're 12th against the pass and 21st against the run. Hmmm... interesting. I thought these guys were monsters against the rush? Especially after holding LJ to 10 yards. Jacksonville seems to be weak against tight ends in the passing game. Our problem is the #1 WR.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamst.php
We are however #1 in terms of special teams efficiency. Jacksonville is 10th.

This is going to be a rough game.

The Pencil Neck
10-09-2007, 06:30 PM
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Category/10_Power_Rankings.html
They rank us 10. Up from 12.

nero THE zero
10-09-2007, 08:45 PM
I think those ranking are largely fair.

We are a mediocre team without Ahman and AJ and an above average team with those two. I am curious (re: worried) to see what kind of impact McKinney had on our running game when Ahman comes back against the Jags. I have a bad feeling that he was a bigger part of it than many of us realized and our running game will be nearly as abysmal with our starter back in for us.

Back to the point, I think we belong slightly above the middle of the league with out stars in there and these power rankings reflect that.

False Start
10-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Such a nice sight , seeing them that high up in the power rankings . Hopefully this is something I will just get used to . Hopefully , they can keep moving on up like The Jeffersons . :jam:

The Pencil Neck
10-09-2007, 09:53 PM
I think those ranking are largely fair.

We are a mediocre team without Ahman and AJ and an above average team with those two. I am curious (re: worried) to see what kind of impact McKinney had on our running game when Ahman comes back against the Jags. I have a bad feeling that he was a bigger part of it than many of us realized and our running game will be nearly as abysmal with our starter back in for us.

Back to the point, I think we belong slightly above the middle of the league with out stars in there and these power rankings reflect that.

I think several people here were saying that McKinney was a big part of the reason the running game started working last year and that the fact that McKinney was better than Flanagan at run blocking was why he'd won the job this year.

So, I don't think that it's a total surprise that our running game isn't as good. I think the surprise is just how bad it is without him AND without Green. I mean, it's really, really bad.

BigBull17
10-09-2007, 10:56 PM
I dont think awful is a harsh enough word to describe our run game. I was to the point I wanted Walter to get the hand offs when he was in the back field during the game. Thats a bad thing by the way.

b0ng
10-09-2007, 11:14 PM
Honestly, with who we've beaten (Carolina looks a lot worse than expected, KC looks better than godawfully horrible, but still below the middle of the pack) and who's beaten us, I'm kind of surprised we are in the top 15 on most of these. I think that as a fan, with my intimate knowledge of the Texans, that we should be ranked inside the Top 12, but I know that this team has to go out and show that they are worthy of good rankings.

Honestly, I'll take em anywhere at all unless they go on a nice little streak of winning football games. I think if we beat SD, JAX, and TEN in a row, then we would easily crack the top 10 if not the top 7 or so. Until then lets just hope that our Texans use these rankings as bulletin board stuff.

threetoedpete
10-10-2007, 03:00 AM
I dont think awful is a harsh enough word to describe our run game. I was to the point I wanted Walter to get the hand offs when he was in the back field during the game. Thats a bad thing by the way.

Well Dayne is just plain flat missing the hole on a lot of them. The hole is there and he is just crashing into the back side of the o-lineman.

Now there wasn't a hole on the second and goald at the 5:50 mark . And I realize Mike Sherman
was tring to set up the waggle fpr the next play. Looked to me the only one who didn't realize everyone knew what he was doing was Mike Sherman. I mean they rolled the defense to double three guys in the pattern. On the fricken goal line. Good Grief !! I'd say they got that pattern of plays figured out there Mike.

BeerTastesLikeVictory
10-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Well Dayne is just plain flat missing the hole on a lot of them. The hole is there and he is just crashing into the back side of the o-lineman.

Now there wasn't a hole on the second and goald at the 5:50 mark . And I realize Mike Sherman
was tring to set up the waggle fpr the next play. Looked to me the only one who didn't realize everyone knew what he was doing was Mike Sherman. I mean they rolled the defense to double three guys in the pattern. On the fricken goal line. Good Grief !! I'd say they got that pattern of plays figured out there Mike.

I noticed that as well. There were a few plays where cutback lanes were clearly visable. Dayne's biggest problem IMO is not his ability to pound it down the middle (although he is still far from good), but the biggest problem is his vision.

austintexanite
10-10-2007, 02:44 PM
For the most part, I'd say the rankings are pretty fair. I'd like to see us at full strength sooner rather than later, but that probably won't happen till next week.

Second Honeymoon
10-10-2007, 02:47 PM
well because the NFC is such a joke this year I could see us ranked as high as #10-#12 with only three NFC squads ahead of us, Dallas, Green Bay, and Washington. The problem is that we are, at best #3, in our own division. The Colts and Titans have had better years so far but I think we could take the Titans position away from them here soon.

I would love for the Texans and the Titans to both win Wild-Card spots and the Colts the division. That would be total respect for our division. Then have the Texans go into like Pittsburgh or San Diego and just roll them. Then it would be a trip to Indy or NE :)

Playoffs!!!