PDA

View Full Version : Oh no! A "teal-out"!

Double Barrel
10-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Teal time in Jacksonville

Their quarterback is the fifth-ranked passer in the league, the team is off to its best start in three years and the really good news is that the Jaguars are healthy and may even get center Brad Meester back for this Sunday’s game against the Houston Texans. Clearly, the Jaguars are on a roll as they head into two of the most important home games this team has faced in a long time.

“We’re only going to talk about one game at a time. The Houston Texans are up next. This is a good football team coming in here this week. I think this will be the best football team we will have played so far,” Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio told reporters at Monday’s press conference.

Meanwhile, the team is urging fans to make Sunday a teal-out at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium. Why not? The time has never been better to create fervor for the Jaguars.

“We want the fans to show their colors by wearing teal. It’s time to teal up. The coaches and players thought the Kansas City crowd looked great in red, so we’re asking our folks to wear teal. Everybody has a job on Sunday. Our job is to wear teal and be loud,” said Tim Connolly, the Jaguars’ senior vice-president for business development.

Source / Rest of story (http://www.jaguars.com:80/News/Article.aspx?id=6381)

Errant Hothy
10-09-2007, 12:05 PM
So...what...does that mean even more sections of seats will be covered with teal tarps? And will the game still be blacked out in J-ville?

Frak the Jags!!!!!!!!!!

HOU-TEX
10-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Oh my! Teal is such an intimidating color! I don't know how our players are going to withstand the violent color of teal. :pirate:

Double Barrel
10-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Teal is one of those 'chick colors'. No dude ever says "I think I'll paint that wall teal". We go with base colors, green, blue, brown, red, etc. If we want to vary, we might say light or dark. But women pick those names we've never heard of, teal, muave, fuchsia. Seriously, what are these colors?!

Sort of like certain chick emotions. "Verklempt" comes to mind (i.e. "overcome with emotion")

Maddict5
10-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Teal is one of those 'chick colors'. No dude ever says "I think I'll paint that wall teal". We go with base colors, green, blue, brown, red, etc. If we want to vary, we might say light or dark. But women pick those names we've never heard of, teal, muave, fuchsia. Seriously, what are these colors?!

does a dude ever say: 'im going to paint that wall steel blue'? just saying :shades:

Hervoyel
10-09-2007, 12:20 PM
The Texans need to sign Techno Viking for this week to battle the wussifying effect of the "Teal Out". He could lead them into the stands wearing a Battle Red pair of shorts (no jersey, Techno Viking only comes in "bare chested" mode) and do his Techno Viking dance as he walks out of the tunnel.

http://www.cotecourt.org/images/film/1408.jpg

And oh yes, there's a Techno Viking avatar on it's way. I'm not sure what it will be yet but it's destined to happen.

Hervoyel
10-09-2007, 12:22 PM
does a dude ever say: 'im going to paint that wall steel blue'? just saying :shades:

No because dudes know that steel is not "blue". Steel can be "blued" but even then it's not truly blue. It's shiny and black like the darkest part of Travis Johnson's evil heart where he keeps thoughts of Trent Green.

2BCF
10-09-2007, 12:26 PM
LOL @ "teal-out".

Don't forget the matching feathered boas!
But please don't break out the dreaded fan dancers!

Texans_Chick
10-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Okay, photoshop contest.

I would love to mock the "teal out" on FanHouse. Because that is fun. And teal on unis should be banned. So I would love for those who are so inclined to come up with their best photoshops mocking the teal-out and put them in this thread.

Winners get admiration of all and their stuff on FanHouse. woowee.

Guidelines for the ones I am likely to pick. It would be for a national audience so it should be funny to NFL fans. And not too vulgar.

So put your photoshops in this thread.

I can't guarantee that I will be able to do the FanHouse post on this, but I'd like to.:cool:

TEXANS84
10-09-2007, 12:30 PM
http://www.buyselltix.com/nfl/stadium/images/381_stadium.jpg

Oh no! 65,000 screaming seats!!

Tailgate
10-09-2007, 12:32 PM
More like a BLACKOUT. They have to sell 6k in tickets by Thursday to avoid another one.

http://mb.jaguars.com/Topic370705-6-1.aspx

Vinny
10-09-2007, 01:01 PM

Oh no! 65,000 screaming seats!!that's funny as hell.

Teal, black and gold? Who designed the Jaguars uniforms anyway? Bob Guccione?

Overalls
10-09-2007, 01:02 PM
More like a BLACKOUT. They have to sell 6k in tickets by Thursday to avoid another one.

I saw that thread. I can't believe they are having a hard time selling out this game. They have a hot hand and are playing a divisional rival that has a history of playing them good. That's almost as bad as if we didn't sell out the titans game.

DocBar
10-09-2007, 02:17 PM
No self-respecting guy even knows teal is a COLOR!!! Anyone with any sense at all KNOWS it's a duck. I just hope those "ducks" don't make us look like Elmer Fudd. The Jags are doing pretty OK this year. Should be a tough game.

Texan_Bill
10-09-2007, 02:20 PM
No self-respecting guy even knows teal is a COLOR!!! Anyone with any sense at all KNOWS it's a duck. I just hope those "ducks" don't make us look like Elmer Fudd. The Jags are doing pretty OK this year. Should be a tough game.

See, I thought Teal was a general contractor here in town...

False Start
10-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Teal should be banned from all sports . Its just not right .

Yankee_In_TX
10-09-2007, 02:24 PM

Last week was their first blackout [since covering up 10,000 seats to prevent blackouts].

So, 16,000 empty seats. See you in LA.

WWJD
10-09-2007, 02:31 PM
I'm still wondering why they ever got an NFL team....

powerfuldragon
10-09-2007, 02:33 PM
the thing about teal is, it's a pretty intimidating color.

austintexanite
10-09-2007, 02:34 PM
I'm still wondering why they ever got an NFL team....

I thought that when they first got the franchise, and I still do. That isn't Green Bay.

gwallaia
10-09-2007, 02:37 PM
A "teal-out" .
How quaint.

Texans_Chick
10-09-2007, 02:48 PM

oooh, can anyone put that caption on the bottom of the picture?

That's funny.

SheTexan
10-09-2007, 06:23 PM

Probably not, but this CHICK does!! I have two of them. Hardest damn paint job I have even done too!:texflag:

Seattle wears more TEAL than the Jac-offs do, and they went to the SB.

White is the most boring and least intimidating color there is. JMO!! I DO NOT like the all white TEXAN look. Makes me want to snore!:)

battleDEADday
10-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Wow, you guys are pathetic. I went to the Jags game at Houston last year, and that stadium is by far the most pathetic place to watch a football game. Half the seats were empty, the crowd barely made any noise, they even had a recording of fans yelling out T E X A N S because obviously the home fans are pathetic. So please, dont talk **** about the Jaguars, their fans are 10 times more louder and less pathetic than Texans fans. Sure Jacksonvilles population isint boosted by millions of Mexicans crossing the border, or katrina victims, but that little city has a hell of a lot more passion about football than Houston. Case Closed.

Leahmic223
10-09-2007, 07:29 PM

lol:

Welcome to the AFC South LA.

What do you think their new name and logo will be?

RamRod
10-09-2007, 07:41 PM

Sort of like certain chick emotions. "Verklempt" comes to mind (i.e. "overcome with emotion")

dude ...... you were my hero until you spelled out those last three colors:user:

edo783
10-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Teal........the new gang color. Coming to a Victoria Secret store near you.

Kaiser Toro
10-09-2007, 07:56 PM
If it were socially acceptable I would wrap myself in teal....and velvet of course.

Grams
10-09-2007, 07:56 PM

That was great! ROFLMAO.

Hervoyel
10-09-2007, 10:12 PM
Ok, here is where I'm coming from on this whole "Teal Out" thing

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/2007JagsOpeningDayGUMP.jpg

BSofA04
10-10-2007, 12:36 AM
^^ Lmao

jaxfan21
10-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Ask the Steelers how the teal night worked out. I love how you are dogging Teal coming from a city that used to have baby blue as a uniform color. Who cares about the color, we could wear pink and we will still have a better franchise than you. Let me guess the Jags can't sell tickets but that is not on the franchise that is on the spoiled Gator and Noles fans who think you need to score 100 points a game in order for it to be a good game. I will be in my seats with about 60000 other fans. And all that matters is the final score.

Leahmic223
10-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Ask the Steelers how the teal night worked out. I love how you are dogging Teal coming from a city that used to have baby blue as a uniform color. Who cares about the color, we could wear pink and we will still have a better franchise than you. Let me guess the Jags can't sell tickets but that is not on the franchise that is on the spoiled Gator and Noles fans who think you need to score 100 points a game in order for it to be a good game. I will be in my seats with about 60000 other fans. And all that matters is the final score.

What makes you think you have a better franchise than us?

At least the Titans can say they've been to a superbowl, besides going to the playoffs about 4-5 times what's been so special about the Jags? I just don't get where the "We still have a better franchise?" Lol says who?

Its kinda funny, because you guys could be doing extremely well or really bad, but the same thing happens when you play Houston...you lose.

Lol about the 60,000 fans though. More like 60.

Brandon420tx
10-10-2007, 09:12 AM
The Texans fans that show should bring a Steel Blue Tarp, and a Battle Red Tarp

Texan Asylum
10-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Ok, here is where I'm coming from on this whole "Teal Out" thing

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/2007JagsOpeningDayGUMP.jpg

You must spread some reputation...

lol:

Exithios
10-10-2007, 09:32 AM

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

The Oilers were one of the most loved (and hated) franchises of their day. You can not possibly be knocking the "luv ya blue" days" in the defense of your teal tarped seats.

My $0.02

duvalbill
10-10-2007, 09:37 AM
What makes you think you have a better franchise than us?

At least the Titans can say they've been to a superbowl, besides going to the playoffs about 4-5 times what's been so special about the Jags? I just don't get where the "We still have a better franchise?" Lol says who?

Its kinda funny, because you guys could be doing extremely well or really bad, but the same thing happens when you play Houston...you lose.

Lol about the 60,000 fans though. More like 60.

There probably will be about 60,00 fans at the game. Unfortunately, many fans wait until the last minute to buy tickets which led us to the blackout we had last game. I have also heard that although your stadium is always sold out, that fan attendance is not the best. Is this true? In any event, I'm hoping for a good, clean game w/ no injuries.
BTW-how do you guys feel about the Travis Johnson hit? He was a monster at FSU, and I could definitely see his point.

Brandon420tx
10-10-2007, 09:41 AM
That may be true, but only because half of us are sitting in our cars on I-10, I-45, Westheimer, etc. etc. "Real men of Genius" ...

Leahmic223
10-10-2007, 09:44 AM
There probably will be about 60,00 fans at the game. Unfortunately, many fans wait until the last minute to buy tickets which led us to the blackout we had last game. I have also heard that although your stadium is always sold out, that fan attendance is not the best. Is this true? In any event, I'm hoping for a good, clean game w/ no injuries.
BTW-how do you guys feel about the Travis Johnson hit? He was a monster at FSU, and I could definitely see his point.

I don't know about fan attendance, it probably varies depending on how we are doing.

Also, there are many threads around here about Travis, I think most of us understand where he was coming from but disagree with his post game comments.

Errant Hothy
10-10-2007, 10:04 AM
The Texans need to sign Techno Viking for this week to battle the wussifying effect of the "Teal Out". He could lead them into the stands wearing a Battle Red pair of shorts (no jersey, Techno Viking only comes in "bare chested" mode) and do his Techno Viking dance as he walks out of the tunnel.

http://www.cotecourt.org/images/film/1408.jpg

And oh yes, there's a Techno Viking avatar on it's way. I'm not sure what it will be yet but it's destined to happen.

I've got this photo with TechnoViking covered in teal body paint (photoshoped bodypaint atleast), with the caption "TechnoViking is going as an empty Jacksonville Municipal Stadium seat for Halloween!"

Not that great I know,but it made me laugh. And I'd post it to, but I can't seem to get to my hosting site from work the last few days :(

TEXANS84
10-10-2007, 10:12 AM
I have also heard that although your stadium is always sold out, that fan attendance is not the best. Is this true?

We have some of the best tailgating at our stadium. So good, that sometimes people show up in the middle of the 1st quarter, or decide to leave in the 4th to go back outside.

The club level in any stadium is suspect, as people usually tend to socialize more than watch the game.

Tailgate
10-10-2007, 10:12 AM

Imagine if the Jags had 5 losing seasons in a row.... how bad would this blackout situation really be. All things considering (losing history thanks to previous GM and coach)... our attendance is great.

Tailgate
10-10-2007, 10:14 AM
We have some of the best tailgating at our stadium. So good, that sometimes people show up in the middle of the 1st quarter, or decide to leave in the 4th to go back outside.

The club level in any stadium is suspect, as people usually tend to socialize more than watch the game.

It goes by so quick too! You get there at 8 AM sharp... and next thing you know its 11 AM and break down time. Its a pain in the rear and I can definitely understand how its so easy to get in a bit late when our fans tailgate so hard core.

duvalbill
10-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Imagine if the Jags had 5 losing seasons in a row.... how bad would this blackout situation really be. All things considering (losing history thanks to previous GM and coach)... our attendance is great.

We definitely had our fair share of suspect seasons and, of course, some fans jumped off the bandwagon. It's one of the challenges of becoming a new franchise. However, our fan base is growing and most of the kids who were here when the Jags begun are now season ticket holders (myself included). Any of you guys coming down for the game? It should be a pretty good one.

Tailgate
10-10-2007, 10:28 AM
We definitely had our fair share of suspect seasons and, of course, some fans jumped off the bandwagon. It's one of the challenges of becoming a new franchise. However, our fan base is growing and most of the kids who were here when the Jags begun are now season ticket holders (myself included). Any of you guys coming down for the game? It should be a pretty good one.

I hear ya. I actually was planning on it till a cousins wedding popped up on the schedule. The way our offense is banged up and the way your team is playing... it may be for the best.

duvalbill
10-10-2007, 10:44 AM
I hear ya. I actually was planning on it till a cousins wedding popped up on the schedule. The way our offense is banged up and the way your team is playing... it may be for the best.

I hate people that have fall weddings. I already went to one this year causing me to miss the Falcons game. Not cool.

Tailgate
10-10-2007, 10:55 AM
I hate people that have fall weddings. I already went to one this year causing me to miss the Falcons game. Not cool.

My cousin is well aware that this is Texas and its college football Saturday... I dont get it either. :) However, she did at least plan to avoid the RRSO last weekend.

powerfuldragon
10-10-2007, 11:38 AM
White is the most boring and least intimidating color there is. JMO!! I DO NOT like the all white TEXAN look. Makes me want to snore!:)

...but it makes us win

DocBar
10-10-2007, 11:45 AM
ummmm....that was COLUMBIA BLUE. Get yer facts straight. I guess wearing teal makes it hard for you to be straight, though, eh?? J/K
:fans: :fans: :fans:

Double Barrel
10-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Who cares about the color,

Tim Connolly, your senior vice-president for business development. Did you read the first post?

“We want the fans to show their colors by wearing teal. It’s time to teal up. The coaches and players thought the Kansas City crowd looked great in red, so we’re asking our folks to wear teal. Everybody has a job on Sunday. Our job is to wear teal and be loud,” said Tim Connolly, the Jaguars’ senior vice-president for business development.

we could wear pink and we will still have a better franchise than you.

Pink might be a good fit for the Jags. You think you have a better franchise, but our head-to-head record tells a different story. No matter how bad it gets for us, we can still count on punking the Jags.

hobie
10-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Tim Connolly, your senior vice-president for business development. Did you read the first post?

Pink might be a good fit for the Jags. You think you have a better franchise, but our head-to-head record tells a different story. No matter how bad it gets for us, we can still count on punking the Jags.

Well the Texans are 6-4 vs. the cats, so at least they are a team that they know they have a winning record against. 3-2 at home and at thier place, so it's not to bad a thing knowing they can win there as well.

jaxfan21
10-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Oh OK now I am not straight because I wear teal??? And it was Columbia Blue give me a break!!! Sorry I didn't know I needed to look up the facts of what the Houston Oilers wore. As a fan I didn't pick out the colors of my team but I will wear them to the end. And like a fan said earilier we don't even wear that much teal as you will see on Sunday. We haven't even worn teal one time this season.
The Texans record vs the Jags is not that far off. If we sweep you this year then it will be tied. Don't act like you have totally dominated the Jags cuz you haven't.
Don't be over-looking the Jaguars.

Hervoyel
10-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Ok, I stumbled across a picture taken during their last "Teal-Out". It sheds a little more light on what we're up against.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/Jags-Ninja-Begger.gif

I'm getting a little worried. Apparently they have this thing where they invite the local homeless to spend the night and "Adopt a Tarp". This could get ugly.

Vinny
10-10-2007, 02:25 PM
lol at the Awful Waffle blast on the scoreboard...that's 4 star dining in Jacksonville.

duvalbill
10-10-2007, 02:27 PM
lol at the Awful Waffle blast on the scoreboard...that's 4 star dining in Jacksonville.

Have you ever been to Jacksonville? There are quite a few amazing restaurants there. But feel free to make baseless comments all you want.

Vinny
10-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Have you ever been to Jacksonville? There are quite a few amazing restaurants there. But feel free to make baseless comments all you want.
yeah, I've been all over the USA. I lived in Destin (great place btw) for a while...so I know North Florida. The Waffle House is on every corner....lighten up...it's smack. Don't be too offended by humor.

Hervoyel
10-10-2007, 02:32 PM

C'mon man it's called a sense of humor. Every season I read so many baseless comments about Houston from everybody that I can't help but laugh. I'm sure Jacksonville is a great place and there's plenty of excellent resturants there.

Errant Hothy
10-10-2007, 02:34 PM

It's time to teal up? Teal up?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teal up...sounds like the more flamboyant version of Cowboy up.

hehehehehehehe

Texan_Bill
10-10-2007, 02:35 PM

YUP... I've been there, several times over the course of a year and a half...

There is a Morton's Steakhouse and Hooters

New_Texans
10-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Teal is such an ugly color....who picked those colors?

Blazing Arrow
10-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Last week was their first blackout [since covering up 10,000 seats to prevent blackouts].

I suggested the name LA Dynamite on the MB board a while back.... it did not go over so well. :specnatz:

duvalbill
10-10-2007, 03:03 PM
C'mon man it's called a sense of humor. Every season I read so many baseless comments about Houston from everybody that I can't help but laugh. I'm sure Jacksonville is a great place and there's plenty of excellent resturants there.

No worries. I don't really have thin skin either, but it's quite annoying to constantly see the label hich town attached to my home town. No one is mistaking Jacksonville for Miami, but there are plenty of things to do.

Texan_Bill
10-10-2007, 03:10 PM
No worries. I don't really have thin skin either, but it's quite annoying to constantly see the label hich town attached to my home town. No one is mistaking Jacksonville for Miami, but there are plenty of things to do.

In all fairness, Jacksonville is the largest city in the United States.

Vinny
10-10-2007, 03:12 PM
http://www.d-nice.com/journal/archives/000024.php

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/020405/woo_17877252.shtml

Texanfan4ever
10-10-2007, 03:25 PM
I actually like teal and black. It might not be real manly but put with black it's cool. Now how about the Detroit LIons they have yellow shoulders with baby blue shirt. That is really girly for a football team.

I like us in ALL steel blue, or red. The white is my least favorite.

Double Barrel
10-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Oh OK now I am not straight because I wear teal??? And it was Columbia Blue give me a break!!! Sorry I didn't know I needed to look up the facts of what the Houston Oilers wore. As a fan I didn't pick out the colors of my team but I will wear them to the end. And like a fan said earilier we don't even wear that much teal as you will see on Sunday. We haven't even worn teal one time this season.
The Texans record vs the Jags is not that far off. If we sweep you this year then it will be tied. Don't act like you have totally dominated the Jags cuz you haven't.
Don't be over-looking the Jaguars.

We certainly don't overlook any team on our schedule, and that would definitely include the Jags. You've got a good team right now, no doubt about it. We're both in one of the toughest divisions in the NFL, as none of the four teams has a losing record at this point (unlike the AFC west where no team has a winning record). We have three really tough games ahead of us with Jax, Ten, and San Diego. We could be staring at a 3-5 record if we play like we did the past two weeks.

Like others have mentioned, we're just having fun with the 'teal out' comment. Trust me when I say that folks around here know that I can rant and rave against our own marketing department's stranglehold on "tradition". We have 5-6 different uniform combos for 8 home games. So instead of having a traditional home and away jerseys, we are treated with a constant barrage of ADD driven marketing campaigns.

As far as teal, I'd say it's right up there with the smurf/baby/colombia blue that the Oilers had for so many years. Heck, as much as the history means to me, I always thought they had a Captain America vibe with the red, white and blue thing going on.

I don't blame you for wearing team colors. It's what NFL fans do. We have absolutely no say in these decisions, so we live with it and support the team or boycott and have no team spirit. I feel for ya' there.

texasguy346
10-10-2007, 03:41 PM
Ok, I stumbled across a picture taken during their last "Teal-Out". It sheds a little more light on what we're up against.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/Jags-Ninja-Begger.gif

I'm getting a little worried. Apparently they have this thing where they invite the local homeless to spend the night and "Adopt a Tarp". This could get ugly.

You owe me a new monitor Herv!:cool:

Texan_Bill
10-10-2007, 03:51 PM
"Starting at Quarterback, from East Carolina University, #9 David Garrad....."

http://www.buttshark.com/images/PDRM0142.jpg

*chirp.... chirp*

Allstar
10-10-2007, 05:11 PM
“We’re only going to talk about one game at a time. The Houston Texans are up next. This is a good football team coming in here this week. I think this will be the best football team we will have played so far,” Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio told reporters at Monday’s press conference.

Did anyone else notice that Del Rio suggested we were better than the Titans? I know WE knew that, I just didn't think that anyone else did.

Exithios
10-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Did anyone else notice that Del Rio suggested we were better than the Titans? I know WE knew that, I just didn't think that anyone else did.

I grinned when I saw that as well. I think it was a subtle jab at the Tacks myself.

Hervoyel
10-10-2007, 05:46 PM

Anyone who believes it deserves that feeling in the pit of their stomach after we lose that game to the Titans. Don't get too caught up on what the opposition says. Ignore their injury reports for the most part and when the gush about how good you are just hope that our players aren't falling for that sugar coating.

This is going to be our toughest game of the year by far. I think it will even exceed the Colts game (just barely because that was at home and this is on the road in a hostile stadium full of screaming empty seats).

DiapHer
10-10-2007, 06:37 PM
"Starting at Quarterback, from East Carolina University, #9 David Garrad....."

*chirp.... chirp*

I guess there are no fans at the game to applaud you Texan_Bill:cool:

imatexan
10-10-2007, 10:26 PM
As far as things to do in JAX thier really isnt. I went thier for a Steelers game a couple a years ago and will never go back it was sooo boring! And thier were FAR more Steelers fans than JAX.

Texan_Bill
10-11-2007, 09:09 AM
As far as things to do in JAX thier really isnt. I went thier for a Steelers game a couple a years ago and will never go back it was sooo boring! And thier were FAR more Steelers fans than JAX.

C'mon man, there is "the Landing" and ummmmmm, well, ummmmm there is "the Landing"

Errant Hothy
10-11-2007, 09:41 AM

SInce it looks like all the seats showed up, wouldn't this count as a sell-out in Jacksonville?

Texan_Bill
10-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Notice, that they didn't need the tarps in the upper decks..... :rolleyes:

Texans_Chick
10-11-2007, 11:19 AM
For Herv, et al.:

Jaguars Urge Fans to Wear Manly Teal (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/10/11/jaguars-urge-fans-to-wear-manly-teal/)

:user:

Texan_Bill
10-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Nice piece TC.....

My favorite pic was this one:

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/sports.aol.com/fanhouse/media/2007/10/forrest-gump-jaguar-fan.jpg

Absolutely classic!!!

Brando
10-11-2007, 11:37 AM
There is one thing not to miss in Jacksonville!!!!!!!!!

The Plane

:specnatz:

Malloy
10-11-2007, 11:41 AM

I'm guessing Mexico City or Toronto

Texan_Bill
10-11-2007, 11:45 AM
There is one thing not to miss in Jacksonville!!!!!!!!!

http://www.nndb.com/people/226/000022160/Villechaize1.jpg SAYS:

"The Plane"

:specnatz:

Fixed it for you....

Double Barrel
10-11-2007, 12:56 PM

Mexico City Jaguars has a certain ring to it, come to think of it. :hmmm:

And it would still make sense in our division, unlike if they went to LAX (who doesn't deserve a team....like Jacksonville!).

hobie
10-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Maybe they can relocate to Jackson, MS. Not much would change, just white out the ville on the letterhead and they would be all set..

copycat781
10-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Last I checked, Jacksonville has not lost the Jaguars, unlike the other city represented in the game played here on Sunday.

Hervoyel
10-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Last I checked, Jacksonville has not lost the Jaguars, unlike the other city represented in the game played here on Sunday.

We didn't lose the Jaguars either so what's your point?

;)

Errant Hothy
10-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Or how about moving them to Jackson Hole, WY?

Texan_Bill
10-11-2007, 01:24 PM

That's a matter of opinion. I remember a certain Bud "the bad rug" Adams convincing your city that the Oilers would be playing there and your city embraced them..... Well, until it was obvious that he used your city like a cheap prostitute to leverage the Harris County Sports Authority into removing the "pinball" machine and adding 10,000 seats at the Astrodome.

copycat781
10-11-2007, 01:24 PM
We didn't lose the Jaguars either so what's your point?

;)

Oh please, you know exactly what I mean.

Hervoyel
10-11-2007, 01:32 PM
Of course I know what you're talking about and I'm laughing about it. The Oilers left town, big deal. We've been through that and we understand exactly how easy it is to wake up one day and find out that things are in motion that you can't stop and your football team is loading up the moving trucks.

We know what those tarps and blackouts can turn into. Yes we're kidding around and pulling your tails about this and it's all in good fun but if I was a Jags fan I'd be a little worried about those blackouts and those tarps. Being an old Oiler fan I'd know to be worried.

euro-Texan
10-11-2007, 01:33 PM
I hope they don't leave. I just found out tht I'm getting stationed there. Someone let the owner know that I am good for a ticket once a year. That should boost there sales by 5-10%

copycat781
10-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Of course I know what you're talking about and I'm laughing about it. The Oilers left town, big deal. We've been through that and we understand exactly how easy it is to wake up one day and find out that things are in motion that you can't stop and your football team is loading up the moving trucks.

We know what those tarps and blackouts can turn into. Yes we're kidding around and pulling your tails about this and it's all in good fun but if I was a Jags fan I'd be a little worried about those blackouts and those tarps. Being an old Oiler fan I'd know to be worried.

Any avid fan is concerned, but what can we do? We are already there, how do you convince fair weather fans to get off their duffs and spend their money? If you have the answer let me know. Other than winning with a run and shoot offense, these college fans here don't get the NFL.

As it is, I will ride this train as long as I can, and if one day the Jags are gone, I'll fish more.

powerfuldragon
10-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Or how about moving them to Jackson Hole, WY?
jacksonville is already a hole.

also @ TC - sorry for being ticky-tack about this, but i submit that prince's suit is more of an aqua.

also, here's a fossil i just dug up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3GnN6YDDe4

jaxfan21
10-11-2007, 02:04 PM
I don't worry about the Tarps as the stadium with them off is one of the larger ones in the NFL so with them on it just makes the stadium market size. I do worry about the blackouts. Even if the fair weather fans go to the game all they talk about is Tim Tebow and the Gators. The only thing that will keep the Jaguars in Jville is winning and Wayne Weaver. So I hope you guys don't mind losing this weekend to help us so we don't become a new Houston, Baltimore, Cleveland, etc.....

powerfuldragon
10-11-2007, 02:39 PM
why would somebody post of video of them going to the opposing stadium and losing...just....delete it or something...

because they're probably cool on their forums.

Texan_Bill
10-11-2007, 02:49 PM
also, here's a fossil i just dug up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3GnN6YDDe4

That clip was pretty funny... Although, I couldn't understand a word he was saying until near the end.... "Houston's alright..... but it's no J-ville".... THANK GOD!!! and his racist statement.....

real
10-11-2007, 03:02 PM
So I hope you guys don't mind losing this weekend to help us so we don't become a new Houston, Baltimore, Cleveland, etc.....

Oh, you don't have to worry about that happening...

I doubt you guys would get another team if you lost that one...Atleast not in this lifetime...

Double Barrel
10-11-2007, 03:09 PM

The difference is that we did not lose the Oilers because of poor attendance.

Houston has always been a rabid football city in a rabid football state. We had an owner that was too greedy and had no desire to work with local leaders and the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo (an annual event that is a huge tourist destination and part of our city's heritage/tradition).

Being the Texans we are, we told Mr. Rughead to blow off. So what, we waited a few years and got the team that we really wanted and deserved.

But once J'ville loses the Jags, there is a snowball's chance in hell you get another NFL team.

Dan B.
10-11-2007, 03:13 PM
The NFL will not move to LA, at least not any time soon. Follow the money. There is no financial incentive for them to move there. Any NFL fans in LA are already watching football and contributing to the NFL's TV revenue. In addition, there is no fitting stadium (and no surrounding city is willing to pony up the billion dollars or so to build one), no prospective owner willing to spend the $$, and no burning demand for a team in the city. The average Angelino just considers USC their pro team and doesn't care about the NFL. And they won't care even if LA gets the Jags -- until they win.

I also honestly feel that LA is too good of a bargaining chip for every other team for the owners to willingly give it up. They can extort new stadiums from every city in the country by using the threat of LA. Start in Jacksonville. Move to Minnesota. Wash/Rinse/Repeat.

Dan B.
10-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Cities I could see the NFL considering moving the Jags to if they don't build a new stadium or sell out one game this year would be:

Birmingham
Toronto (I don't know that Toronto would spend the cash either -- I just love the idea of a Canadian team in the AFC South. Almost as good as the Arizona Cardinals were in the NFC East)
Portland
Salt Lake
San Antonio
Oklahoma City

(I wonder how much clout JJ has concerning OKC and SA. Would the Cowboys let that happen? And can they stop it?)

Errant Hothy
10-11-2007, 03:22 PM
Cities I could see the NFL considering moving the Jags to if they don't build a new stadium or sell out one game this year would be:

Birmingham
Toronto (I don't know that Toronto would spend the cash either -- I just love the idea of a Canadian team in the AFC South. Almost as good as the Arizona Cardinals were in the NFC East)
Portland
Salt Lake
San Antonio
Oklahoma City

(I wonder how much clout JJ has concerning OKC and SA. Would the Cowboys let that happen? And can they stop it?)

I'd add Vegas and Mexico City to that list as well.

Dan B.
10-11-2007, 03:26 PM
I'd add Vegas and Mexico City to that list as well.

I thought about both, but concerning Vegas I'm not sure the NFL wants the gambling whispers (though let's face it -- the NFL wouldn't be a tenth as popular as it is without Vegas). I also wonder about whether Mexico City has enough average fans that can afford regular season tickets, and whether or not any players would want to play there. I could see them having a tough time attracting FA's.

Texan_Bill
10-11-2007, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't mind making one roady a year to Honolulu :splits:

Double Barrel
10-11-2007, 03:28 PM
I honestly think the NFL is going to find a way to get a team into Mexico City. They are really pushing for an international audience, especially with the exportation of REGULAR season games. Heck, even the NFL Network has an all Spanish version (the commercial is pretty funny, too!).

I really like the balance of 32 teams and fear that they are going to over-expand. I'd rather see a team moved over more expansion teams.

powerfuldragon
10-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Birmingham
Toronto
Portland
Salt Lake
San Antonio
Oklahoma City

Alabama Admirals?
Ontario Ocelots?
Portland Panzerfaust?
Utah Lillywhites?
San Antonio Armadillos?
Oklahoma Boring?

so bored.

Errant Hothy
10-11-2007, 03:34 PM
I thought about both, but concerning Vegas I'm not sure the NFL wants the gambling whispers (though let's face it -- the NFL wouldn't be a tenth as popular as it is without Vegas). I also wonder about whether Mexico City has enough average fans that can afford regular season tickets, and whether or not any players would want to play there. I could see them having a tough time attracting FA's.

Mexico City is what 3rd largest city in the world...I think they can find 60,000 to 80,000 fans for 8 games. Didn't they get over 100,000 for the Arizona v Dallas game a couple of years ago?

Dan B.
10-11-2007, 03:36 PM
I could certainly see a team in Mexico City sometime soon -- it is the largest city in North America, after all. I think the NFL would be wise however to build youth football programs in Mexico before moving a team there though. Soccer in the US didn't really take off until there was a large youth soccer program up and running here. When Mexican kids grow up loving and playing football there will be a definite market to attract. Until then, I'm not sure there is one there.

I suspect that the NFL Network en espanol is largely to appeal to Mexicans living in the US, since they are a MASSIVE demographic that is traditionally sports crazed.

Dan B.
10-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Mexico City is what 3rd largest city in the world...I think they can find 60,000 to 80,000 fans for 8 games. Didn't they get over 100,000 for the Arizona v Dallas game a couple of years ago?

London/Barcelona/Berlin are HUGE cities. Surely they can get 60-80k a game right? Oh, I guess all those millions of people have to actually like football for it to succeed.

I'm not saying the NFL could never work in these cities -- just that they need to start from the ground up. Merely sticking a pro team there will appeal to American ex-pats and idle curios fans for one game. Until they grow up playing/seeing/feeling the game, a pro team will fail there.

real
10-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Until they grow up playing/seeing/feeling the game, a pro team will fail there.

I don't think that's neccessarily true...

But it sounds good...

Dallas' Hockey team seems to be doing pretty well...

I don't think many grew up playing/seeing/feeling that game...

Errant Hothy
10-11-2007, 03:47 PM
London/Barcelona/Berlin are HUGE cities. Surely they can get 60-80k a game right? Oh, I guess all those millions of people have to actually like football for it to succeed.

I'm not saying the NFL could never work in these cities -- just that they need to start from the ground up. Merely sticking a pro team there will appeal to American ex-pats and idle curios fans for one game. Until they grow up playing/seeing/feeling the game, a pro team will fail there.

Yeah I quess so, to bad the NFL game in London still hasn't sold out yet, right?

Germany basically keep the NFLe afloat for a few years, getting around 30,000 fans to each game every week.

And you are still ignoring the fact that the record attendance for in NFL game was in Mexico City, more then 100,000. COuld you imagine the revune from concessions for the 8 home games. Money makes anything possible.

ledzeppelin229
10-11-2007, 03:47 PM
I don't think that's neccessarily true...

But it sounds good...

Dallas' Hockey team seems to be doing pretty well...

I don't think many grew up playing/seeing/feeling that game...

Yea but hockey is still at least familiar...and kids do grow up playing forms of roller hockey.

When I was in the UK..its about about soccer and forms of Gaelic football/rugby. I don't think many people over there know anything about the game nor really care to.

infantrycak
10-11-2007, 03:50 PM

Until?--how about they already are. Whereas Europeans see very little NFL and hardly participate at all, in Mexico there are quite a few games available and there are youth and college leagues. Not the same at all.

Dan B.
10-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Quite a few Dallas citizens did move there from the north, actually. They did grow up watching hockey, or at least their dad did. And there are a few other extenuating circumstances that I would bring up.

Dallas wins. How's the NHL looking in Miami/Nashville/Atlanta/Raleigh/etc. etc. etc.?

The per capita income is a heckuva lot higher in Dallas than Mexico City

It's a lot easier to sell out a 17,000 seat stadium than an 80,000 seat one.

Especially when 90% of those seats are corporate season ticket packages.

Dan B.
10-11-2007, 03:56 PM
Hoth

1 regular season game can easily sell out by (as I said) appealing to American ex-pats and curious citizens who want to see a game. If you honestly believe that the same people willing to spend $30 bucks to see what this NFL thing is all about are going to shell out hundreds of dollars for a season ticket...

As to the German teams -- you are aware there are thousands of American servicemen in Germany, right? That would be the reason that by the end half of NFLe's teams were in Germany. Appealing to American ex-pats overseas again.

And I am honestly not aware of a strong NFL youth program in Mexico. I'd be very interested in a link because this is the way I think football should be spread overseas (rather than by setting up minor leagues in foreign markets that have no history with the sport).

Dan B.
10-11-2007, 04:01 PM
the record attendance for in NFL game was in Mexico City, more then 100,000. COuld you imagine the revune from concessions for the 8 home games.

And the record Super Bowl attendance was in a city that could not support an NFL team during the regular season.

One game is not predictive. Just because 100,000 people bought a ticket to one game doesn't mean they would commit themselves to a 30 year PSL license, a multibillion dollar tax funded stadium, and continually renewing season tickets.

infantrycak
10-11-2007, 04:02 PM
And I am honestly not aware of a strong NFL youth program in Mexico. I'd be very interested in a link because this is the way I think football should be spread overseas (rather than by setting up minor leagues in foreign markets that have no history with the sport).

Obviously not strong like here, but:

Yes, there is football in Mexico, and it is followed passionately by a growing number of fans, thanks to cable television, heavy promotion by the NFL and private universities that have brought U.S.-style recruiting and training to the college league.

ESPN began showing Mexican college games on its Spanish-language network four years ago, broadcast television shows two NFL games a week, and billboards and buses in Mexico City now advertise the Super Bowl.

The college teams are getting big-name sponsors like Coca-Cola, Reebok and Powerbar. The NFL has started a flag football league for teenagers, and a Mexican team won the world championship in Japan last year. There's even a Football Hall of Fame in Mexico City that opened in 2001.

Still, the NFL has high hopes for Mexico, saying its polls indicate there are 20 million Mexicans who follow American football to some degree. It opened an office in Mexico City in 1998 and launched a Web site for Mexican fans in September.

The roots of American-style football go back 100 years in Mexico, though there is debate over whether the first game was played in Veracruz or farther north.

The National Autonomous University of Mexico and the National Polytechnic Institute have both had teams for 70 years, and their annual matchup draws tens of thousands of fans.

Link (http://www.azcentral.com/specials/special42/articles/1120MexFootball.html)

infantrycak
10-11-2007, 04:03 PM
a multibillion dollar tax funded stadium,

Like it would cost that much to build in Mexico.

Errant Hothy
10-11-2007, 04:04 PM
Hoth

1 regular season game can easily sell out by (as I said) appealing to American ex-pats and curious citizens who want to see a game. If you honestly believe that the same people willing to spend $30 bucks to see what this NFL thing is all about are going to shell out hundreds of dollars for a season ticket...

As to the German teams -- you are aware there are thousands of American servicemen in Germany, right? That would be the reason that by the end half of NFLe's teams were in Germany. Appealing to American ex-pats overseas again.

Having spent some of my childhood in London I assure there are not enough American Ex-Pats in the city to fill Wembely Stadium, nor are there enough to cause the tickets to sell out in under an hour. There is an intrest in the NFL in parts of Europe, hell I watched the 35-3 game against Buffalo from my parent's living room, the only difference was that it was on delay. And that was well over a decade ago.

If you had ever watched on the of the NFLe games you would have noticed that the majority of the crowds were German. There were several stories on it (how the average German was becoming a fan of the NFL) about a year ago.

As for an intrest in the NFL in Mexico, as infantrycak pointed out there are youth programs already in place in Mexico.

I also think that we are all (except for maybe infantrycak :D ) missing the effect that satelite TV has had on the world wide audience of the NFL. Hell, I think there are even football leagues in Japan now.

powerfuldragon
10-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Like it would cost that much to build in Mexico.
yeah, they've already got a construction crew.

:backsout:

real
10-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Yea but hockey is still at least familiar...and kids do grow up playing forms of roller hockey.

When I was in the UK..its about about soccer and forms of Gaelic football/rugby. I don't think many people over there know anything about the game nor really care to.

I thought we were talking Mexico...

There is American football in Mexico...

Otherwise Casteneda would not be on this team...

Dan B.
10-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Thank you for the link! That is very exciting news and is exactly how I feel the NFL should be going about this. This quote, however, is telling:

"It's unlikely the NFL will put a pro team in Mexico anytime soon, league spokesman Pete Abitante said."

I think we are on our way, but I don't see an NFL team moving to Mexico yet.

infantrycak
10-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Thank you for the link! That is very exciting news and is exactly how I feel the NFL should be going about this. This quote, however, is telling:

"It's unlikely the NFL will put a pro team in Mexico anytime soon, league spokesman Pete Abitante said."

I think we are on our way, but I don't see an NFL team moving to Mexico yet.

True, but notice the date of the article--three years ago. Soon will end up being defined by when a team wants to move again and can under the terms of their lease, etc.

mancunian
10-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Seattle wears more TEAL than the Jac-offs do, and they went to the SB.

officially the Hawks play in "gun-metal blue" .....

disaacks3
10-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Like it would cost that much to build in Mexico.It might...all the "cheap labor" came to the U.S., right? :shades:

infantrycak
10-11-2007, 04:30 PM
It might...all the "cheap labor" came to the U.S., right? :shades:

Yeah, but they kept the "cheaper labor" and the "cheapest labor." One wave at a time. :cool:

Texans_Chick
10-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Mexico City Jaguars has a certain ring to it, come to think of it. :hmmm:

And it would still make sense in our division, unlike if they went to LAX (who doesn't deserve a team....like Jacksonville!).

The biggest problem the NFL would have with Mexico City or Toronto is that they would be difficult places to recruit players and coaches.

With basketball and Canada, you don't need quite as many players, but even then, there were some players reluctant to go there.

ledzeppelin229
10-11-2007, 05:27 PM
I thought we were talking Mexico...

There is American football in Mexico...

Otherwise Casteneda would not be on this team...

Ah..I was thinking in reference to the London comment.

Yea, Mexico would be easier than Europe but I still don't think American football is that common there...I could definitely be wrong, I just never thought of it as a standard sport for youth in Mexico.

Brandon420tx
10-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Anyone else start to notice how the Jags became more and more insignificant in this thread. I forgot who we were playing this week untill I checked on NFL.com

Go Mexico Tacitos!

duvalbill
10-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Anyone else start to notice how the Jags became more and more insignificant in this thread. I forgot who we were playing this week untill I checked on NFL.com

Go Mexico Tacitos!

Laugh it up while you can tinhorns. I stopped posting in this thread because everyone in it started acting like ten year old kids. I couldn't care less what you think about my city, and most of you probably haven't been there to judge for yourself. At about four on Sunday you will realize we had a game, and that your team dropped below .500 just like every year in your franchise.

Overalls
10-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Laugh it up while you can tinhorns. I stopped posting in this thread because everyone in it started acting like ten year old kids. I couldn't care less what you think about my city, and most of you probably haven't been there to judge for yourself. At about four on Sunday you will realize we had a game, and that your team dropped below .500 just like every year in your franchise.

Never been to Jacksonville so I won't dog it. However here is a math lesson. In the event the Texans do lose we will go from 3-2 to 3-3. Which in most cases that I have ever heard of is NOT "below" .500.

real
10-11-2007, 06:04 PM
I couldn't care less what you think about my city, and most of you probably haven't been there to judge for yourself.

Family is from Florida, and I attended FAMU....

I've been to Jacksontown, and it really is nothing...

Matter-of-fact I've been all through Duval...both of 'em....

Texan_Bill
10-11-2007, 06:11 PM

As stated before Bill.... I have spent plenty of time in Jacksonville (a couple of days a week for about a year and a half - Federal Courthouse Project, downtown on North Julia).

Amelia Island is nice.

imatexan
10-11-2007, 06:14 PM

Ya I already posted what I thought of JAX as far as The Texans losing, dont count on it! I think that you will finally realize that we own your team, just like ever other year in our franchise history.

Errant Hothy
10-11-2007, 06:27 PM

I'm quessing math was not your strongest subject in school.

That's almost a Titan's "level of stupidity" comment right there.

Texans_Chick
10-11-2007, 07:47 PM

I am sure that it will be game-on on Sunday. I'm guessing the Teal-Out is a reflection that your team and your coach is finally taking a Texans-Jags game seriously.

That being said, I've been to Jacksonville and there isn't much to the downtown. It's like driving through the Greenspoint area sizewise, if that.

Jacksonville had just about the worst sports page I've ever seen. Basically, it was a bunch of AP stories, and their featured story of the day on the front of the sports page was about swimming.

Specnatz
10-11-2007, 07:54 PM
I am sure that it will be game-on on Sunday. I'm guessing the Teal-Out is a reflection that your team and your coach is finally taking a Texans-Jags game seriously.

That being said, I've been to Jacksonville and there isn't much to the downtown. It's like driving through the Greenspoint area sizewise, if that.

Jacksonville had just about the worst sports page I've ever seen. Basically, it was a bunch of AP stories, and their featured story of the day on the front of the sports page was about swimming.

Geez worse than the paper here in Austin.

As per your comment about tornoto and the difficulty in getting players, it is because of the tax there if memory serves on some of the complaint.

Never been to Toronto so can't speak of the city I have been to Newfoundland, great place to visit.

Hardcore Texan
10-11-2007, 08:04 PM

So you are taking your toys and going home?

GuerillaBlack
10-11-2007, 08:14 PM
Jacksonville is a small, small town. I have been there only once. We went to Jacksonville on our way back from Orlando to visit family there. It was a pretty small city, and their skyline looks like Greenspoint (with maybe one more taller building). I liked the bridges over the river though.

GuerillaBlack
10-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Uh oh...J' Ville got blacked out!

http://the506.com/nflmaps/2007-06-CBS1.html

Bill_in_Indy
10-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Good Luck Texans.....

BEAT THE JAGS!

Thorn
10-11-2007, 08:38 PM

Sorry kitty cats for your up coming loss.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-6/739321/catdrive.jpg

DocBar
10-11-2007, 08:56 PM
The biggest problem the NFL would have with Mexico City or Toronto is that they would be difficult places to recruit players and coaches.
With basketball and Canada, you don't need quite as many players, but even then, there were some players reluctant to go there.
I would think Montezuma's Revenge and lack of clean drinking water and a government that doesn't let immigrants vote, own property or own a business would be pretty big stumbling blocks.....just sayin.....

Errant Hothy
10-11-2007, 09:03 PM
I would think Montezuma's Revenge and lack of clean drinking water and a government that doesn't let immigrants vote, own property or own a business would be pretty big stumbling blocks.....just sayin.....

I wouldn't think so, remove the diaherra (sometimes) and the lack of clean drinking water from teh equation, and you pretty much have the same situation in Australia and I would gladly move to/work in Sydney or Melbourne.

Malloy
10-12-2007, 06:53 AM

Coming from Europe, that sounds like the US too :)

Tedc
10-12-2007, 07:46 AM
It is a good thing it is a TEAL out. The seats are teal and all the empty seats won't ruin the effect.

L. A. Jags will take on a new meaning in a town where Jaguars are seen frequently in the garages of many celebrities.

Old School
10-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Don't forget security issues.. And that isn't just for the games either. Mexico is notorious for kidnappings and if I was an NFL player, there is no way I would choose to work somewhere that could jeopardize my family.

rush2112mn
10-12-2007, 10:13 AM
I am going to the jacksonville game on the road and wearing my battle red authentic mario williams.......:texflag: :texflag: :texflag:

Texan_Bill
10-12-2007, 10:20 AM
I am going to the jacksonville game on the road and wearing my battle red authentic mario williams.......:texflag: :texflag: :texflag:

You should be pretty easy to spot amongst all the teal seats that show up...

Errant Hothy
10-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Would a "black-out" have been more appropiate?

powerfuldragon
10-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Uh oh...J' Ville got blacked out!

http://the506.com/nflmaps/2007-06-CBS1.html
rofl. weak.

Tedc
10-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Very appropriate and inevitable.

It would be easier to count the games that haven't been blacked out.

barrett
10-12-2007, 12:30 PM
http://www.jaguars.com/news/article.aspx?id=6389

apparently the game in jax'ville wasn't able to sell enough tickets to show the game on tv. i wonder what the vibe is like there.

real
10-12-2007, 12:37 PM
There has to be enough people in order for there to be a "vibe"...

mootini
10-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Sad, but true...It's very embarassing...2 in a row Falcons/Texans. I'll be there Sunday, loud and proud. The vibe is, If you want to see the game, go buy a ticket. If you want to be cheap, listen on the radio. The marketing of the team is terrible in the out lining areas...Gainesville, Daytona, Orlando, Savanna. The Jags have a young fan base that is growing. Will it take too long to build before the team moves? That's the $100,000 question?

Brando
10-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Sad, but true...It's very embarassing...2 in a row Falcons/Texans. I'll be there Sunday, loud and proud. The vibe is, If you want to see the game, go buy a ticket. If you want to be cheap, listen on the radio. The marketing of the team is terrible in the out lining areas...Gainesville, Daytona, Orlando, Savanna. The Jags have a young fan base that is growing. Will it take too long to build before the team moves? That's the $100,000 question?

A Jag fan being realistic! Wow, I'm impressed.:cool:

barrett
10-12-2007, 01:06 PM
this article give a decent insight into the woes of the jags organization.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/09/26/PH2006092601351.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/26/AR2006092601629.html&h=250&w=228&sz=82&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=uWhhnZmps4fz2M:&tbnh=111&tbnw=101&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dalltel%2Bstadium%2Btarp%2Bjacksonvill e%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26s a%3DG

from the article- "Ten or 15 years from now, this market will be one of the better markets. It's one of the fastest-growing markets in the southeastern United States."

Yes, in 10 years this might be a wonderful NFL town.

The problem is with what happens until then.

"I think they have a medium-term survival problem," said Bonham, the sports marketing consultant. "Ultimately, the market will grow to sustain them, but for the next five years the Jaguars will face significant issues."

it looks like the market in jacksonville is growing quickly but the question remains will the market grow enough before the team gives up on it and is sold to someone who would move it to LA?

mootini
10-12-2007, 01:23 PM

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/09/26/PH2006092601351.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/26/AR2006092601629.html&h=250&w=228&sz=82&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=uWhhnZmps4fz2M:&tbnh=111&tbnw=101&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dalltel%2Bstadium%2Btarp%2Bjacksonvill e%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26s a%3DG

from the article- "Ten or 15 years from now, this market will be one of the better markets. It's one of the fastest-growing markets in the southeastern United States."

"I think they have a medium-term survival problem," said Bonham, the sports marketing consultant. "Ultimately, the market will grow to sustain them, but for the next five years the Jaguars will face significant issues."

it looks like the market in jacksonville is growing quickly but the question remains will the market grow enough before the team gives up on it and is sold to someone who would move it to LA?

Thanks Barrett...You have brought the correct info on the situation in Jville. Time will tell...I think/hope in the long run the Jag's fan base become solid.

Texan_Bill
10-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Thanks Barrett...You have brought the correct info on the situation in Jville. Time will tell...I think/hope in the long run the Jag's fan base become solid.

Having spent a lot of time in Jacksonville, I got the impression that the locals/ city almost have a lack of identity... I don't mean that as an insult, it's was just what I came away with. I don't know if its because its so close to southern Georgia or what...

Specnatz
10-12-2007, 01:32 PM

I have yet to figure out why everyone keeps mentioning LA, yes it is a large city that could, not a guarantee, support a team. There is no viable stadium in LA and so far LA has yet to want to pay for even a portion of a new stadium. With a new stadium with luxury boxes no team that can sustain life in LA. Remember how hard Paul Tagliabu tried to give our team to LA, Mr Bob McNair had to put up more money than any other team at its time. If LA had even come up with a remodeling of the Collissium they would have gotten the franchise. I recall what the vote was when they finally went to vote but before that, there is not one person here who was not worried about us getting the franchise.

Also, during the cryboys/Buffalo game they kept mentioning if the team can sustain life there and that they might be a team that moves in the not so distant future. The new deal that keeps the Saints in NO is for how long?

In the next 5 years there could be a lot of movement in the NFL.

TexanSam
10-12-2007, 01:42 PM
As much as I dislike the Kitty's, I hope they stay in Jacksonville. I like the rivalry we're building with them and would hate to lose it if they had to be relocated elsewhere.

mootini
10-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Having spent a lot of time in Jacksonville, I got the impression that the locals/ city almost have a lack of identity... I don't mean that as an insult, it's was just what I came away with. I don't know if its because its so close to southern Georgia or what...

Bill, I agree...I think it's because Jville is "growing up"...what I mean by that, It's a young franchise that has a lot of people moving here with ties to their old NFL teams. The college football idealism is greatly viewed here. The Jags seem to get the snubb, especially when the team goes though the losing years. This Sunday's black out really has me upset because here is the Jags playing solid football, coming off 3 streight wins, 2 of them at Denver and KC. Now, A divisonal rival, who plays us tuff every time...knowing it's going to be a good game and a possible payback game..the fans can't sell the minium tickets for a black out. What? Everyone saving their $ for the Colts next week? LAME!!!! I do predict the stadium will have atleast 60k on Sunday..Why these people did not buy their tickets before Thursday blackout rule??? Anyway, glad you guys understand what's going on. Here's to a great game!!!

Texan_Bill
10-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Bill, I agree...I think it's because Jville is "growing up"...what I mean by that, It's a young franchise that has a lot of people moving here with ties to their old NFL teams. The college football idealism is greatly viewed here. The Jags seem to get the snubb, especially when the team goes though the losing years. This Sunday's black out really has me upset because here is the Jags playing solid football, coming off 3 streight wins, 2 of them at Denver and KC. Now, A divisonal rival, who plays us tuff every time...knowing it's going to be a good game and a possible payback game..the fans can't sell the minium tickets for a black out. What? Everyone saving their $ for the Colts next week? LAME!!!! I do predict the stadium will have atleast 60k on Sunday..Why these people did not buy their tickets before Thursday blackout rule??? Anyway, glad you guys understand what's going on. Here's to a great game!!!

Several good points..

I know I have joked about All-Tarp stadium and ribbed your fans about it, but the fact is, it's a good place to watch a game. I know that the Jaguars and the city put a lot of money into the stadium to upgrade it from its old Gator Bowl days.... But geez... And I know its not a financial deal. There's plenty of money in and around Jacksonville. Good luck to you and your die-hard fans, because (as TexanSam had said), I've enjoyed the rivalry (for the most part)...

mootini
10-12-2007, 02:05 PM

It's called RESPECT...Texans have earned that from us Jags.

mootini
10-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Several good points..

I know I have joked about All-Tarp stadium and ribbed your fans about it, but the fact is, it's a good place to watch a game. I know that the Jaguars and the city put a lot of money into the stadium to upgrade it from its old Gator Bowl days.... But geez... And I know its not a financial deal. There's plenty of money in and around Jacksonville. Good luck to you and your die-hard fans, because (as TexanSam had said), I've enjoyed the rivalry (for the most part)...

Bill, Your complete right..plenty of money "OUTSIDE" Duval county...Is there any marketing? NONE....Better yet drive downdown town Jville, you'll see very little advertising/billboards for the Jags. That outside marketing would really help the blackout cause. I also think corporate backing has eased off a lot in the last 4-5 years. Shoot, Winn Dixie used to give out free tickets!!! Another problem the Stadium does not have a corporate sponser name..example ALLTALK..LOL

The Pencil Neck
10-12-2007, 03:23 PM
As much as I dislike the Kitty's, I hope they stay in Jacksonville. I like the rivalry we're building with them and would hate to lose it if they had to be relocated elsewhere.

I agree with that.

I'd really like for the fans in J-Ville to get behind that team. It's a good team.

Not as good as OURS, of course...

:texflag:

GuerillaBlack
10-12-2007, 04:47 PM
The reason why corporate sponsorship has fallen in Jacksonville is because there aren't any corporations there anyway.

Not entirely true. The Texans are an even newer franchise, but don't have blackouts. It is probably because of Houston's status as the number six market. Once J'Ville gets larger, I think they can support the Jags, but the city is still pretty small now, so it will be over ten years when that happens (it isn't like J'Ville is growing at some fast rate).

spurstexanstros
10-12-2007, 04:47 PM
So where are the Jaguars moving San Antonio or Los Angeles? I hope its LA cause Id rather have an NFC team. Jacksonville is floridian for "who would live there"

mootini
10-12-2007, 04:49 PM
So where are the Jaguars moving San Antonio or Los Angeles? I hope its LA cause Id rather have an NFC team. Jacksonville is floridian for "who would live there"

Good one!!! I love N. Florida, stay away!!!

Specnatz
10-12-2007, 05:30 PM

Good one!!! I love N. Florida, stay away!!!

Isn't also called South New York?

TexanExile
10-12-2007, 05:35 PM
It's a young franchise that has a lot of people moving here with ties to their old NFL teams. The college football idealism is greatly viewed here. The Jags seem to get the snubb, especially when the team goes though the losing years.

It's just part of being in FL. I went to games in JAX and MIA during my years in Florida, and both teams had problems selling out the stadium. True, they weren't blowing away competition on the field, but even in Dolphin-dominated Miami, selling out wasn't guaranteed--unless they were playing a NY team or the Patriots. But go to an "Eagles bar" down there on Sundays and it's packed.

You hit one part of the problem right on...it seems like most FL people have come there already with team loyalties and don't buy into the "love the one you're with" mentality. Tons of Eagles and Steelers fans in South Florida, in addition to the NY/NE fans.

Maybe there's just too much else going on in Florida when it comes to recreation. Multiple World Series runs (including 2 rings!) for the Marlins since the franchise was founded, and they're drawing 375 fans to a game (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/content/sports/epaper/2007/09/13/a1c_marlins_0913.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=46)? Pathetic. And the Yankees can consider every trip to Tampa Bay a home game.

Enjoy the game...hope your team loses, but I hope you have a good time! :texflag:

copycat781
10-12-2007, 06:55 PM

"I think they have a medium-term survival problem," said Bonham, the sports

marketing consultant. "Ultimately, the market will grow to sustain them, but for the next five years the Jaguars will face significant issues."

That is the first time I have seen a writer not from here get it right. Nice article, and nice find.

edo783
10-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Question...........like the tree in the forest question............when J-vill is blacked out.........does anyone in J-vill notice? :shades:

Giant Tiger
10-12-2007, 11:58 PM

I don't believe they would move to Toronto. There are always plenty of empty seats at Argos (CFL) games.

Also the high taxes are a problem. The Blue Jays & Raptors got around this by paying the players in $US. That worked when the $CAN was worth $.80 or so, but now the players will actually get less money. It will be interesting to see if some players want out in the next couple of years:twocents:

Overalls
10-13-2007, 12:17 AM
I will never be in favor of any team moving. I hope the Texans put a real butt kicking on the Jags but I hope their fan base continues to grow to a point where the tarps come back off and their fans no longer have to hear about the team moving to LA, San Antonio or anywhere else.

:fans:

2BCF
10-13-2007, 02:15 AM

Ha, Los Gatos Locos!

mootini
10-13-2007, 08:21 AM
Question...........like the tree in the forest question............when J-vill is blacked out.........does anyone in J-vill notice? :shades:

Oh, Yes we notice and for the ture fans, it hits right below the belt.

Texans_Chick
10-13-2007, 08:50 AM
I will never be in favor of any team moving. I hope the Texans put a real butt kicking on the Jags but I hope their fan base continues to grow to a point where the tarps come back off and their fans no longer have to hear about the team moving to LA, San Antonio or anywhere else.

:fans:

True.

I must admit to some bitterness when I visited Jacksonville during the time Houston didn't have a team and couldn't fathom why this dinky place had a team and Houston didn't.

duvalbill
10-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Isn't also called South New York?

You're thinking of South Florida. All the snowbirds from up north eventually end up living in Miami, Boca, West Palm or Ft. Lauderdale. Thankfully, Jacksonville has been mostly immune from the transplants, but I'm sure our time will come.

YellerLotYeller
10-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Shoot, Winn Dixie used to give out free tickets!!!

Is that near the Piggly Wiggly?