PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with the D?

brickman
10-08-2007, 03:37 PM
They are having lots of trouble lately. They made Cleo Lemon look like a good QB yesterday. What gives and can they step up?

Texans Horror
10-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Off day for young guys. They are still performing much better than they did the last few years. In fact, turn-overs are a big reason the Texans are 3-2.

BigBull17
10-09-2007, 11:33 AM
Add to that the fact that you prepaired for a statue and then comes a mobil QB. Changes your blitz sceme and coverages because you have to spy a bit more. Plus Lemon isnt damn near brain dead.

HJam72
10-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Ronnie Brown. That's it. We had to concentrate on Ronnie Brown. He got 114 yards on us, instead of 200 like he's been doing. I don't see any real problems with the D in this game. :fans:

Vinny
10-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Ronnie Brown. That's it. We had to concentrate on Ronnie Brown. He got 114 yards on us, instead of 200 like he's been doing. I don't see any real problems with the D in this game. :fans:How many times did the Dolphins punt? Once? They were gashing massive holes in the line and clearly won the war at the LOS. The secondary played better this week though...but then again, it was against the great Cleo Lemon.

Double Barrel
10-09-2007, 12:00 PM
They'd better nut up because the Jags are a helluva' lot better than the Dolphins.

Vinny
10-09-2007, 12:04 PM
i think ronnie brown and the dolphins o'line did a real nice job getting past the d'line and on into the secondary. We need a crazy mean-spirited Center that most people consider a loner....when the Dolphins new rookie Hawaiian Center left the game Brown wasn't running as well.

badboy
10-09-2007, 12:36 PM
I like our tackling scheme, throw a blocking tackle and hope the runner falls down or push him out of bounds.(Sarcasm) Demeco and Dunte imo are the only ones consistenly making solid tackles. At least Trent Green knew to go low.

Thorn
10-09-2007, 12:45 PM
And you know, here's something strange. Statistically, the Texans are rated 11th over all in defense after week five.

15th in offense. Go figure.

TexansLucky13
10-09-2007, 12:51 PM
And you know, here's something strange. Statistically, the Texans are rated 11th over all in defense after week five.

I don't find it hard to believe. Matt almost threw for 300 this week, and our defense didn't give up nearly that much in the air.

We are a decent team. We are battling injuries on offense and a poor secondary on defense. Think of what our record would be with Andre, Jacoby, Mathis and Ahman all 100%?

Vinny
10-09-2007, 12:53 PM

I don't put too much stock in early season stats...Chiefs, Dolphins, Falcons and Panthers all have pretty miserable offenses and none of them have any stability in their quarterbacking. I was reading some rant on the 9ers board about how x team only played "the worst defenses in football" the first couple of weeks....but frankly, the reason they were ranked bad was because team x put a whoopin on them....later those same "worst defenses in football" played other teams and rose up the stat sheets...stats mean more once the teams have passed the first month of the season.

Thorn
10-09-2007, 12:54 PM
We have consistently been in the middle of the pack, ratings and stat wise so far this year. That is an INCREDIBLE improvement over last year, and any Texan year so far.

So yeah, despite our griping about this and that (of which I am as guilty of as the next guy), we are a much improved football team.

badboy
10-09-2007, 12:57 PM
I don't find it hard to believe. Matt almost threw for 300 this week, and our defense didn't give up nearly that much in the air.

We are a decent team. We are battling injuries on offense and a poor secondary on defense. Think of what our record would be with Andre, Jacoby, Mathis and Ahman all 100%?Those 3 players will help offense and possibly the win total. Does not do anything for the D. I like what I saw briefly in Bennett and CC Brown earned his check. Still have a ways to go. Dline did not seem to do much against an O line that we should have looked real good going against.

nunusguy
10-09-2007, 01:00 PM
We need a crazy mean-spirited Center that most people consider a loner....when the Dolphins new rookie Hawaiian Center left the game Brown wasn't running as well.
And we had that guy, our own Hawaiian rookie center/guard Enoka Lucas, but Kubiak & Sherman didn't think there was anyplace on the team for him.

HOU-TEX
10-09-2007, 01:11 PM
We need a crazy mean-spirited Center that most people consider a loner....when the Dolphins new rookie Hawaiian Center left the game Brown wasn't running as well.

I'm not sure you are going to agree with me here, but this is why I'm all for Studdard to be looked at at center this coming off-season. I think he has the mean streak and the talent to be a really good Olineman.

We already have a couple of decent young guards. I just wouldn't want him to be placed on the shelf if he could benefit the team at center.

Y'alls thoughts?

:texflag:

austintexanite
10-09-2007, 01:14 PM
I definately agree with you on Studdard's mean streak, but I'm not sure if he has played center. Who knows, they might be giving him reps in practice at that position, but I'd like to see him in the game at gaurd next to Winston.

Vinny
10-09-2007, 01:15 PM
And we had that guy, our own Hawaiian rookie center/guard Enoka Lucas, but Kubiak & Sherman didn't think there was anyplace on the team for him.Samson Satele was a high draft pick and is a BEAST inside....he's been a very impressive rookie. I haven't seen Lucas much but he was never considered the kind of player or prospect Satele was/is. Next year Spencer will be back and our only glaring hole is at the center position...hopefully we do like the Titans did a year ago when they brought in a proven player like FA Kevin Mawae to bring some stability to the young core of the line if they don't address the position in the draft.

TexansLucky13
10-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Those 3 players will help offense and possibly the win total. Does not do anything for the D. I like what I saw briefly in Bennett and CC Brown earned his check. Still have a ways to go. Dline did not seem to do much against an O line that we should have looked real good going against.

Yup, I agree. I think Bennett stepping up is going to be pivotal this year, until we can at least find more talent for the secondary. And as for the D-line.... we can't do much more for that. We have three first rounders on the line. If they can't start producing, we are pretty much screwed.

Texans_Chick
10-09-2007, 01:46 PM
They are having lots of trouble lately. They made Cleo Lemon look like a good QB yesterday. What gives and can they step up?

They let Trent Green run on them too.

Here's some thoughts:

1. They need pieces and parts.

2. They do not have an identity. I am not sure about a lot of the play calling on defense--looks very vanilla at times.

3. Defending short fields. For as much talk as there was about the Texans ST and Kris Brown's kicking, Ginn gave them some great average starting field position. In the first half, the Texans average starting field position was their own 27, but Miami's was their own 47. When the Texans turn over the ball or can't run the ball effectively, it puts the defense on the field too long. The Texans defense looks better when the Texans offense can do time killing drives.

badboy
10-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Samson Satele was a high draft pick and is a BEAST inside....he's been a very impressive rookie. I haven't seen Lucas much but he was never considered the kind of player or prospect Satele was/is. Next year Spencer will be back and our only glaring hole is at the center position...hopefully we do like the Titans did a year ago when they brought in a proven player like FA Kevin Mawae to bring some stability to the young core of the line if they don't address the position in the draft.Spencer to be back, Vinny, next season? Man, I just can't see us hoping too much for that. Don't you think another option should be made available? I can see Salaam sharing with someone but not the main guy next season. I am just hopeful he makes it through this one.

Vinny
10-09-2007, 02:44 PM
From what I understand his career isn't threatened...just this season.

nunusguy
10-09-2007, 04:30 PM
this is why I'm all for Studdard to be looked at at center this coming off-season. I think he has the mean streak and the talent to be a really good Olineman.

I seriously doubt that Mike Sherman will be back next year, because with the turnover in HCs and his resume its surprising hes remained in Houston this long. So anyway, when he leaves he'll be taking his power-blocking schemes with him which will make Studdard useless around here because Kubiak will probably revert to his pure ZB line-blocking. Maybe Studdard can find work with Sherman, assuming he lands in an NFL HC job.
And regarding the topic of Spencers return, we have to ask ourselves how much they can count on him even in '08 ? And if he makes it back, more likely its as an interior OL instead of a tackle. I suspect they'll be looking at FA and the Draft very seriously for OLTs.