PDA

View Full Version : Travis Johnson and Trent Green

Pages : [1] 2

utahmark
10-07-2007, 06:29 PM
totally classless individual. enough said....

YoungTexanFan
10-07-2007, 06:33 PM
?? care to fill me in?

vtech9
10-07-2007, 06:34 PM

absolutely agree

Leahmic223
10-07-2007, 06:35 PM
I disagree.

He taunted right after the hit, I don't think he knew how serious it was until a few moments later. Was he still taunting then I am not sure.

But you have to understand where he's coming from...with his body type he is pretty injury prone, he was lucky he didn't end out of that with a injury himself with the injuries he's had.

But I don't think he knew how serious it was, in the heat of the moment he knew he was just hit on the knee or below it and that makes any lineman pissed. He looked concerned though when he realized what happened, at least in my opinion he did.

grinch1134
10-07-2007, 06:37 PM
he was just talking crap to someone that clipped him, I don't think he even realized the injury was serious

jaybird
10-07-2007, 06:37 PM
I disagree.

He taunted right after the hit, I don't think he knew how serious it was until a few moments later. Was he still taunting then I am not sure.

But you have to understand where he's coming from...with his body type he is pretty injury prone, he was lucky he didn't end out of that with a injury himself with the injuries he's had.

But I don't think he knew how serious it was, in the heat of the moment he knew he was just hit on the knee or below it and that makes any lineman pissed. He looked concerned though when he realized what happened, at least in my opinion he did.

You don't taunt someone period in football... you especially don't taunt someone who is laying on the ground and not moving... I understand it was the heat of the moment and he was fired up because Green went for his legs... but he's a big boy and should be able to control his emotinos and not act like a 2 year old...

I was glad to see he got ripped a new one... also happy to see him go out there as they were wheeling Green off...

but the taunting was uncalled for and classless. Not saying TJ is because I don't know the guy... but that move was.

Brandon420tx
10-07-2007, 06:39 PM
I don't think it was a taunt, I think TJ was just pissed about the low hit on his knee and didn't know Green was hurt untill he was pulled away.

YoungTexanFan
I take it TJ = Travis Johnson, and the play in question is the scramble by Ginn where Green ended with a concussion. I take it TJ taunted him? It's not classless unless he taunted Green after he was down.

mexican_texan
I don't think he was taunting, I think he was just pissed at Green for going low.

Leahmic223
he was just talking crap to someone that clipped him, I don't think he even realized the injury was serious

Yeah that's the way I saw it. I didn't even know the injury was that serious until 4-5 mintues later. In the heat of battle I think most guys would be pissed. Green could have easily hit his knee the wrong way and could have torn one of his ligments. Then after the hit...Travis did a COMPLETE FLIP...how many times have you seen Travis do this manuever in the air?

I don't think he was aware that his knee may have ended a man's career and how serious it was. I think he was just pissed in the heat of battle because that was dangerous block on both sides.

jaybird
10-07-2007, 06:42 PM
I don't think he was taunting, I think he was just pissed at Green for going low.

If you're pissed yell at your buddies... yell at the sky... yell at the ground... don't walk up to the guy on the ground who is not moving and yell at him... he might not have 'meant' to taunt... but it was an easy call.

And to me it was obvious Green was hurt... I figured he had a concussion just cus that's his MO.... I don't want to get on the guy too much, but it was a stupid move.

Leahmic223
10-07-2007, 06:43 PM
You don't taunt someone period in football... you especially don't taunt someone who is laying on the ground and not moving... I understand it was the heat of the moment and he was fired up because Green went for his legs... but he's a big boy and should be able to control his emotinos and not act like a 2 year old...

I was glad to see he got ripped a new one... also happy to see him go out there as they were wheeling Green off...

but the taunting was uncalled for and classless. Not saying TJ is because I don't know the guy... but that move was.

I'm not saying he should have done what he did. I 'm just saying, I can understand why he was pissed though. That could have easily ended his season.

utahmark

maybe so, still it was a legal block. how else is a qb gonna block a lineman that big. trent was just doing what he could to help his player gain some yards.

if you didnt see the play it was when green went down. green was laying face down not moving after a low (but legal) block that took tj out. tj then gets up and taunts him while he is laying unconscious on the ground.

enough with the negitives kris brown rules.

jaybird

Even if Green wasn't hurt that's still a 15 yard penalty and a first down for 'talking crap'... just don't do it... especially after having a GREAT defensive play.

grinch1134
10-07-2007, 06:44 PM
taunting= classless

defending yourself with harsh words= what anyone would do

Taunting= Hah look now you can't get up

Defending yourself= why the hell are you going for my knees, you could end my career

mexican_texan
10-07-2007, 06:46 PM
If you're pissed yell at your buddies... yell at the sky... yell at the ground... don't walk up to the guy on the ground who is not moving and yell at him... he might not have 'meant' to taunt... but it was an easy call.

And to me it was obvious Green was hurt... I figured he had a concussion just cus that's his MO.... I don't want to get on the guy too much, but it was a stupid move.
It's not like TJ walked up to Green and started yelling. As soon as he got up, he turned around, looked for Green and pointed at him, yelling. He didn't even stop, he did it as he was walking towards the sideline.

utahmark
10-07-2007, 06:47 PM

where did you see that? did the coach talk to him?

jaybird
10-07-2007, 06:48 PM
It's not like TJ walked up to Green and started yelling. As soon as he got up, he turned around, looked for Green and pointed at him, yelling. He didn't even stop, he did it as he was walking towards the sideline.

You don't have to stop... he yelled at him at least three times and pointed at him... I give him credit for walking off, but still stupid... he made a point of walking right by Trent and yelling at him on the ground... textbook taunting.

NitroGSXR
10-07-2007, 06:48 PM
maybe so, still it was a legal block. how else is a qb gonna block a lineman that big. trent was just doing what he could to help his player gain some yards.

if you didnt see the play it was when green went down. green was laying face down not moving after a low (but legal) block that took tj out. tj then gets up and taunts him while he is laying unconscious on the ground.

enough with the negitives kris brown rules.

A legal block? I'm sorry but that was a blatant chop block. Chop blocks are illegal and the Dolphins should have gotten penalized on that play. I hope Trent Green gets well though. And I hope that Travis gets a little bit of yelling by the coaches but I really don't think he was taunting. He was mad because he just got chop blocked. BAD. That 300+ man did a somersault! ONly way you're going to flip a guy that size is to chop block him.

jaybird
10-07-2007, 06:50 PM
where did you see that? did the coach talk to him?

TJ didn't make it off the field before the coach was in his ear... he was TICKED as soon as the flag came out then made it almost to the hash and was in his ear... nice thing was that it looked like he was yelling at him at first but then got up close and I'm guessing he was saying something along the lines of "I understand your ticked but you gotta control your emotions"

which is always why I'm guessing TJ went back out there when Trent was on the stretcher...

I think TJ is a good guy... and understand completley being ticked... I'm just more mad because it was a horrible move on his part to yell at a guy on the ground after you make a great play because that gave Miami a TD essentially.

Leahmic223
10-07-2007, 06:52 PM
A legal block? I'm sorry but that was a blatant chop block. Chop blocks are illegal and the Dolphins should have gotten penalized on that play. I hope Trent Green gets well though. And I hope that Travis gets a little bit of yelling by the coaches but I really don't think he was taunting. He was mad because he just got chop blocked. BAD. That 300+ man did a somersault! ONly way you're going to flip a guy that size is to chop block him.

Exactly.

There is no reason Travis should be flying up in the air the way he did, that was in no way a legal block. I don't know if Trent just missed the block and his head got in the way (which looks to be what happened) but you can't throw your body at someone's knees that way. Like I said, that could have easily been a serious injury to Travis. And you think Travis wants to go back on IR? He wants to prove himself this year, I think he was just pissed. I think he would have apologized if he had the chance to but at the moment he was just pissed.

StarStruck
10-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Why weren't there offsetting penalties?

Maddict5
10-07-2007, 06:55 PM

yeah dont yell at the guy that could've seriously injured you...:confused:

i have no prob with what tj did.. he obviously didnt think green was seriously injured and it was a really dangerous block

jaybird
10-07-2007, 06:56 PM
yeah dont yell at the guy that could've seriously injured you...:confused:

i have no prob with what tj did.. he obviously didnt think green was seriously injured and it was a really dangerous block

Not when it is going to give you a friggin penalty... even if Green was 100% fine and just slow to get up he's going to get a penalty...

gjmac2
10-07-2007, 06:56 PM
Travis got caught up in the heat of the moment. I don't know him personally, but so far he has shown nothing, on or off the field, to indicate that he is "classless" or a bad guy.

The type of block Trent Green threw is dangerous, especially when you do it when the other guy is not looking, as you could end a players career by wrecking their knee(s). That's why Travis was hovering above Trent Green, he was mad.

I played football, and have had a guy cut block me before while I wasn't looking. The initial reaction is to rip someones head off. It's a legal block, and I wouldn't classify it as dirty, but I would say it's a "cheap" block.

My point is, I think Travis deserves the benefit of the doubt. I have not heard any post game comments, but I'm sure Travis feels bad about his actions.

grinch1134
10-07-2007, 06:58 PM
I think TJ is a good guy... and understand completley being ticked... I'm just more mad because it was a horrible move on his part to yell at a guy on the ground after you make a great play because that gave Miami a TD essentially.

horrible move yes, classless no
a penalty is a penalty, but it doesn't make you classless

jaybird
10-07-2007, 07:00 PM

I agree with that for the most part - I think the act/what he did was classless/horrible however you want to put it... but I don't know the man so I can't call him anything. I'm just more ticked that we got a penalty because of him on a day when we had way too many penalties... and whether Green was hurt or not, you yell at a guy on the ground like that and you're getting flagged.

Maddict5
10-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Not when it is going to give you a friggin penalty... even if Green was 100% fine and just slow to get up he's going to get a penalty...

look at any nfl game... you'll see guys get angry at each other all the time- alot of times its not a penalty (because tj wasnt really taunting, just angry).. i think some of ye guys are being harsh and i think theres plenty more important things to talk about after this game.. its not like he pulled a haynesworth or anything

utahmark
10-07-2007, 07:03 PM

actually your wrong. if a player is not engaged and you dont block him from behind going low is perfectly legal.

http://www.cavalierdaily.com/CVArticle.asp?ID=24597&pid=1344

http://sports.expertvillage.com/experts/cut-chop-block.htm

jaybird
10-07-2007, 07:05 PM
look at any nfl game... you'll see guys get angry at each other all the time- alot of times its not a penalty (because tj wasnt really taunting, just angry).. i think some of ye guys are being harsh and i think theres plenty more important things to talk about after this game.. its not like he pulled a haynesworth or anything

If you yell at a guy who is laying on the ground who is not on your team you will get flagged... and they haven't said what he said either... he could have easily yelled 'that's what you get' or something like that which is easily taunting..

it was an easy call for the refs and a stupid move that could have cost the game.

Way too many penalities over all which needs to be cleaned up before the game next week.

utahmark
10-07-2007, 07:06 PM

to me your actions define who you are. didnt you watch batman. you do classless things then in my book your classless. pretty simple.

Allstar
10-07-2007, 07:08 PM
I doubt TJ knew knew the injury was serious. He probably would have gotten a penalty even if Green wasn't hurt by shoving him or something. He was furious because he knew that block could have ended his season, so he got up to say something to him, and when he saw that Green was on the ground he probably said something along the lines of, "Yeah, look what happens when you try to pull that ****." It was by no means a good decision, but I don't consider him a "classless" individual, I don't know the guy.

brakos82
10-07-2007, 07:10 PM
I don't think it was a taunt, I think TJ was just pissed about the low hit on his knee and didn't know Green was hurt untill he was pulled away.

That's what they said on 610.

Trap_Star
10-07-2007, 07:11 PM
unnecessary, yes......classless? no. taunting/trash-talking is part of the game. if you ever played, you'd know.

Maddict5
10-07-2007, 07:11 PM
If you yell at a guy who is laying on the ground who is not on your team you will get flagged... and they haven't said what he said either... he could have easily yelled 'that's what you get' or something like that which is easily taunting..

it was an easy call for the refs and a stupid move that could have cost the game.

Way too many penalities over all which needs to be cleaned up before the game next week.

im done with this, i dont care what tj did, its a non-issue in the grand scheme of things, i know i would prob have done the same if i was him... green got what he deserved for a very dangerous block- we'd all be singing a different tune if tj had blown his knee out, which could've easily happened

NitroGSXR
10-07-2007, 07:14 PM
actually your wrong. if a player is not engaged and you dont block him from behind going low is perfectly legal.

http://www.cavalierdaily.com/CVArticle.asp?ID=24597&pid=1344

http://sports.expertvillage.com/experts/cut-chop-block.htm

Hmmm. I read the articles. I want solid clarification though. Something along the lines of NFL rules. The link you provided had to do with college. You just may very well be right. This is interesting though. I didn't realize that it'd only be illegal in the trenches.

Whatever the rule may be, I still don't agree with the play. It was a low and extremely dangerous blow. Just not the kind of football I'd play.

ensign_lee
10-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Trent Green could have ended TJ's career right there if he hit him in a certain way. I can see why TJ would be EXTREMELY PISSED about that fact.

I think that penalty was freaking weaksauce.

Yes; Trent Green's career may be over. I am very sorry for that fact. But it was his choice to try to throw a block that way.

jaybird
10-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Just saw the reply again... TJ went right at him... easy call...

glad TJ was not hurt - looked like Green was trying to take his legs out and I understand how he can be mad, but no need to go taunt him...

and for those of you who say it was not a taunt... when you walk up to a guy on the ground and start yellling and pointing your finger at him it's an easy taunt call.

not saying he is classless... just very stupid move on TJ after a good defensive play. I understand being angry, but you can't yell at a guy on the ground like that.

Maddict5
10-07-2007, 07:18 PM
to me your actions define who you are. didnt you watch batman. you do classless things then in my book your classless. pretty simple.

maybe you should start following gymnastics or something- now theres a sport where nothing bad ever happens to anybody.. righteousness ftw!

Leahmic223
10-07-2007, 07:20 PM
Hmmm. I read the articles. I want solid clarification though. Something along the lines of NFL rules. The link you provided had to do with college. You just may very well be right. This is interesting though. I didn't realize that it'd only be illegal in the trenches.

Whatever the rule may be, I still don't agree with the play. It was a low and extremely dangerous blow. Just not the kind of football I'd play.

It could be legal (I am not sure, I Was pretty sure throwing a block like that to the knee was a no no though) but you don't do it.

Even if it's legal he shouldn't be doing it, because that means our guys are probably going to turn around and say "OKay if they are going to do it, we are too." just like in baseball. Next thing you know 4 guys are on IR from both teams.

utahmark
10-07-2007, 07:21 PM

here is another one. http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/lostfan/46663

utahmark
10-07-2007, 07:23 PM
maybe you should start following gymnastics or something- now theres a sport where nothing bad ever happens to anybody.. righteousness ftw!

cute. just cause i dont like someone taunting another player that could be dead for all he nows im now a girl.

MEGA SWATT
10-07-2007, 07:27 PM

get over it, nuff said:wild:

Travis could have blown out a knee, shoulder or broke a wrist/hand on that block. That taunting was heat of the moment. It's not like travis laid him out with a block & then stood over him sneering:cowboy1:

grinch1134
10-07-2007, 07:30 PM

Okay, argument is over when you start quoting batman. I thought you really made real arguments, not arguments justified by superhero rules.

HoustonFrog
10-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Its how a man reacts that defines him. Illegal block or not he turned around and saw Green slumped and lifeless. My wife even screamed about him lying there. He then conscioulsy went over and taunted him. It didn't end there.

The bottom line is, it was a malicious hit. It was uncalled for,'' Johnson said. "He's like the scarecrow. He wants to get courage while I wasn't looking, and hit me in my knee instead of trying to hit me in my head. God don't like ugly, you know what I mean?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3053104

He should have dropped it...classless

Carr Bombed
10-07-2007, 07:34 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if there was someone who could follow you around and freak out everytime you made a bad decision or let your emotions get the better of you in about a time frame of 2 seconds. It was pretty obvious TJ didn't know Green was seriously hurt and he was obviously PO'd, but lets go ahead and blast a guy for doing something everyone here has done at one time or another.........and that's let his emotions get the better of him.

P.S.

What does "Batman" have to do with a play on the field?

Maddict5
10-07-2007, 07:40 PM
cute. just cause i dont like someone taunting another player that could be dead for all he nows im now a girl.

travis COULD'VE snapped his spinal chord when he landed after green's dangerous block...sorry sensationalism ftw!

seriously i put it in perspective by thinking of it as an everyday occurrence to see how id react- if you were driving along in your car and something crashes into you because they were driving dangerously and could've seriously injured you.. do you get out of the car and get angry or think to yourself 'maybe i shouldn't get angry because they might be injured too? i know what id do

MEGA SWATT
Just saw the reply again... TJ went right at him... easy call...

glad TJ was not hurt - looked like Green was trying to take his legs out and I understand how he can be mad, but no need to go taunt him...

and for those of you who say it was not a taunt... when you walk up to a guy on the ground and start yellling and pointing your finger at him it's an easy taunt call.

not saying he is classless... just very stupid move on TJ after a good defensive play. I understand being angry, but you can't yell at a guy on the ground like that.

dude, get over it already; you're whining:cowboy1:

Leahmic223
Its how a man reacts that defines him. Illegal block or not he turned around and saw Green slumped and lifeless. My wife even screamed about him lying there. He then conscioulsy went over and taunted him. It didn't end there.

I'll wait to see the whole interview...ESPN tends to sensationalize things a bit.

He was limping though, it was not a good block, and I can understand TJs frustration. As he said, he has to eat to, that could have gave him a serious injury. Look at Spencer and how long its taken him to come back from his injury, different circumstances still though... a knee injury does not bode well for a guy that's that big and has had a tendecy to be out of shape.

jaybird
10-07-2007, 07:42 PM
dude, get over it already; you're whining:cowboy1:

LMAO - whatever dude... I could give a rat's... I wonder how many other people would be whining if we lost this game.... that play could have been huge since it helped lead to a TD...

MEGA SWATT
10-07-2007, 07:44 PM

Yes, you're being taunted right now.

Let me throw the flag for you.

http://www.a2zsportsdirect.com/Qstore/uploads/ftbl038_l.jpg
http://www.etshirts.com/images/lores/19574_1031776716.png

utahmark
10-07-2007, 07:52 PM

i was hoping for an apology. now i got 52 guys to root for and 1 to root against. and im sure all you guys who think it was o.k. for tj to do that would feel the same way if it was our qb laying on the ground lifeless.

grinch1134

This was also in that ESPN link "Texans defensive tackle Travis Johnson hit Green in the head with his knee before Ginn was tackled by Anthony Weaver. After the play ended, Johnson stood over Green and taunted him, drawing a 15-yard penalty."

So Travis jumped up and kneed Trent Green. No, Trent Green put his helmet into Travis' knee.

Maddict5
Yes, you're being taunted right now.

Let me throw the flag for you.

http://www.a2zsportsdirect.com/Qstore/uploads/ftbl038_l.jpg
http://www.etshirts.com/images/lores/19574_1031776716.png

lmao rep

jaybird
10-07-2007, 07:54 PM
This was also in that ESPN link "Texans defensive tackle Travis Johnson hit Green in the head with his knee before Ginn was tackled by Anthony Weaver. After the play ended, Johnson stood over Green and taunted him, drawing a 15-yard penalty."

So Travis jumped up and kneed Trent Green.

LMAO - The older I get the more I hate ESPN....

Carr Bombed
10-07-2007, 07:55 PM
i was hoping for an apology. now i got 52 guys to root for and 1 to root against. and im sure all you guys who think it was o.k. for tj to do that would feel the same way if it was our qb laying on the ground lifeless.

So TJ was supposed to know instantly Green was "lifeless" I wonder how many people here needed more than 2 or 3 seconds to figure that out.

Maddict5
10-07-2007, 07:55 PM
well i agree 100% with travis.. hes the bad guy because green a popular, media-friendly guy and got hurt but it was all greens fault, hes the one who did the 'evil' thing to travis.. not the other way around

i cant believe some of you guys

jaybird
10-07-2007, 07:56 PM
So TJ was supposed to know instantly Green was "lifeless" I wonder how many people here needed more than 2 or 3 seconds to figure that out.

Apparently I knew long before TJ did then... LMAO... it wasn't that hard... have you seen the replay? How can you not call that taunting...

Carr Bombed
10-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Apparently I knew long before TJ did then... LMAO... it wasn't that hard... have you seen the replay? How can you not call that taunting...

Yelling at someone in anger is not tuanting, it's called being pissed off. Posing and having a "me" moment on someone's logo is taunting.

Believe it or not, we live in a "grey" world. Not everything is black and white and clear cut............there was ALOT of grey areas involved in this play. Until someone cut blocks you and you land on your head, I don't think your in position to judge.

It sure is funny we ask these guys to get jacked up before a game and go out with a certain "take their head off" mentality, but if they actually lose their cool in a already emotional game to begin with...........they are supposed to not have human responses.

Leahmic223
10-07-2007, 08:01 PM

So Travis jumped up and kneed Trent Green. No, Trent Green put his helmet into Travis' knee.

Like I said lol...This is ESPN.

I am going to wait for the ACTUAL post game comments not spun around from the official site. I am not going to look at two quotes in a ESPN article and judge the guy by that.

The same ESPN that fooled most of the public by calling Bush this great decoy who made such a HUGE impact on games.

The Same ESPN that says all that matters is that VY wins the Games...yet when Rex was winning the games it didn't matter because...because...

I hope he apologizes also, at least tries. But that article isnt the press conference transcript, they are spinning it to make Travis look bad and almost like it was Travis fault. Who knows what he could have said before that? It could have been "I am sorry for what happened to him..." then went on to say what he said. Those articles never tell the full story or what the player says before or after the comment.

jaybird
10-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Yelling at someone in anger is not tuanting, it's called being pissed off. Posing and having a "me" moment on someone's logo is taunting.

Believe it or not, we live in a "grey" world. Not everything is black and white and clear cut............there was ALOT of grey areas involved in this play. Until someone cut blocks you and you land on your head, I don't think your in position to judge.

LMAO - So apparently you didn't see the replay... he didn't 'yell' at someone... he got up... walked over to a guy on the ground... pointed at him, kind of jumped a few times, and yelled at him for a good while... that's taunting... especially if we could hear what he probably said.

EASY taunting call... again, not calling him dirty, or classless or anything... just stupid for letting his emotions get the better of himself...

but who am I to judge ;) just someone who knows an easy taunting call when he sees one.

Scooter
10-07-2007, 08:05 PM
i've got no problem with what johnson did. green went in low and hit johnson directly in the knee, that alone would draw words, and johnson's acrobatics because of the cheap block would send any defender into a frenzy. this is football, there are 22 players on the field talking crap to eachother at all times, it sounds like some of yall would prefer figure skating and a round of kumbaya after each play. THIS time there happened to be a serious (although self inflicted) injury involved. if green had gotten up, johnson would've said the exact same thing and they would've jawed for a minute and no penalty would've come.

johnson had every right to be ticked off, and has every right to remain so ... green's decision to go after johnson's knees was very dangerous for both players.

and for those saying "well i knew right away that he was seriously hurt" ... congrats, we now know that you werent mid-summersault in football pads when it happened. i know the ball's in the air before cornerbacks turn to locate it, do i get a cookie?

Carr Bombed
10-07-2007, 08:07 PM
LMAO - So apparently you didn't see the replay... he didn't 'yell' at someone... he got up... walked over to a guy on the ground... pointed at him, kind of jumped a few times, and yelled at him for a good while... that's taunting... especially if we could hear what he probably said.

EASY taunting call... again, not calling him dirty, or classless or anything... just stupid for letting his emotions get the better of himself...

but who am I to judge ;) just someone who knows an easy taunting call when he sees one.

If you want to give the sensationalized version I guess that's what happened. :rolleyes:

Maddict5
10-07-2007, 08:07 PM

http://wiki.urbandead.com/images/thumb/7/75/Bunch.jpg/60px-Bunch.jpg

jaybird
10-07-2007, 08:08 PM
and for those saying "well i knew right away that he was seriously hurt" ... congrats, we now know that you werent mid-summersault in football pads when it happened. i know the ball's in the air before cornerbacks turn to locate it, do i get a cookie?

So you don't think TJ knew he was laying on the ground not moving the entire time he walked up to him and was yelling at him... I thought our Corners were smarter than that lol...

ok I'm done... I'm going back to my regular message board...

for those of you who agree with what he did then good for you... glad ya'll would have done the same and gotten a crucial penalty that lead to an opponent TD.

Maddict5
10-07-2007, 08:09 PM
i've got no problem with what johnson did. green went in low and hit johnson directly in the knee, that alone would draw words, and johnson's acrobatics because of the cheap block would send any defender into a frenzy. this is football, there are 22 players on the field talking crap to eachother at all times, it sounds like some of yall would prefer figure skating and a round of kumbaya after each play. THIS time there happened to be a serious (although self inflicted) injury involved. if green had gotten up, johnson would've said the exact same thing and they would've jawed for a minute and no penalty would've come.

johnson had every right to be ticked off, and has every right to remain so ... green's decision to go after johnson's knees was very dangerous for both players.

my thoughts exactly.. rep

Scooter
10-07-2007, 08:12 PM

i counted 2 seconds from the time TJ started talking until he was past green, and he never stopped walking. you're exaggerating to try to defend your point.

NitroGSXR
10-07-2007, 08:12 PM

A good while? I just timed the clip on NFL.com. Total time elapsed from the point where Travis got up after getting that chop block from Green and the point where he walked AWAY from Green after the 'taunt' was barely three seconds in real time.

Some of you guys make me laugh sometimes.

Leahmic223
10-07-2007, 08:15 PM
ESPN is spinning it again...here's ALSO what Travis said during the post-game presser.

Texans DT Travis Johnson

(opening statement) “I apologize for going off like that. We d-linemen, when you have someone going at your knees, it’s kind of tough. But at the same time, I shouldn’t have reacted like that. The penalty ended up leading to a score, so really I hurt my team. I shouldn’t have let my anger get to me, so I apologize to coach Kubiak, because I hurt my team. Really, I should have kept my cool. Being in that type of situation, this is a game of controlled violence, and I really I let my anger get the best of me.”

Scooter
10-07-2007, 08:18 PM
ESPN is spinning it again...here's ALSO what Travis said during the post-game presser.

Quote:
Texans DT Travis Johnson

(opening statement) “I apologize for going off like that. We d-linemen, when you have someone going at your knees, it’s kind of tough. But at the same time, I shouldn’t have reacted like that. The penalty ended up leading to a score, so really I hurt my team. I shouldn’t have let my anger get to me, so I apologize to coach Kubiak, because I hurt my team. Really, I should have kept my cool. Being in that type of situation, this is a game of controlled violence, and I really I let my anger get the best of me.”

that's a real good statement from him. he's still ticked off about what happened, but he seems really remorseful for drawing the penalty that hurt the team, and that's very upstanding to me.

grinch1134
10-07-2007, 08:19 PM

WOW Classless. :shades:

I'm glad to see how our team shows class by calling themselves out when they make mistakes. It is great how that apology quote doesn't get as much press as the "that was a vicious hit quote"

Rep

utahmark
10-07-2007, 08:20 PM
A good while? I just timed the clip on NFL.com. Total time elapsed from the point where Travis got up after getting that chop block from Green and the point where he walked AWAY from Green after the 'taunt' was barely three seconds in real time.

Some of you guys make me laugh sometimes.

it wasnt a chop it was a cut. one is legal one is not.

do you ever go to ftp. cause i have some of your chips if you do (play money of course).

utahmark
10-07-2007, 08:27 PM
you guys ever seen a running back pick up a blitzer low and the guy flips. pretty much the exact same play green made. totally legal and happens all the time. i really dont think you guys have watched much football.

Leahmic223
10-07-2007, 08:28 PM
WOW Classless. :shades:

I'm glad to see how our team shows class by calling themselves out when they make mistakes. It is great how that apology quote doesn't get as much press as the "that was a vicious hit quote"

Rep

It really is sad how ESPN tries to spin stories, sometimes they go too far (MICHAEL VICK TOWN MEETING!!!!!)

that's a real good statement from him. he's still ticked off about what happened, but he seems really remorseful for drawing the penalty that hurt the team, and that's very upstanding to me.

I think he apologized the best he could. I mean he can't say sorry for hurting Trent, because Trent did it to himself. The only thing he can apologize for is the taunting, and he could say he's sorry about the condition that Trent is in.

In the ESPN article he said his knee still hurts. As long as his knee still hurts, he's going to be mad about it.

NitroGSXR
10-07-2007, 08:29 PM
it wasnt a chop it was a cut. one is legal one is not.

do you ever go to ftp. cause i have some of your chips if you do (play money of course).

Okay. I thought a chop block was also called a cut block which is what I understood the articles that you had posted to lead it to mean. If I was incorrect on that then I just misunderstood it.

What? I didn't understand your ftp comment at all. I'm inclined to think that you're now on the attack for some reason. I thought we were conversing just fine? What happened?

Leahmic223
10-07-2007, 08:31 PM
you guys ever seen a running back pick up a blitzer low and the guy flips. pretty much the exact same play green made. totally legal and happens all the time. i really dont think you guys have watched much football.

Yes but they hit above the knee, Do they come flying at your Knee?

RBs Always do this to Mario(And IT WORKS unfortunately, Mario has to beat those.) but he never flips. The RBs that do this hit the thigh not the Knee. Even so DE and DTs don't go flying like TJ did. They either just fall forward or kind of swept off their feet.

utahmark
10-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Okay. I thought a chop block was also called a cut block which is what I understood the articles that you had posted to lead it to mean. If I was incorrect on that then I just misunderstood it.

What? I didn't understand your ftp comment at all. I'm inclined to think that you're now on the attack for some reason. I thought we were conversing just fine? What happened?

no not on the attack. just saw someone with your name at a diff site.

utahmark
10-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Yes but they hit above the knee, Do they come flying at your Knee?

RBs Always do this to Mario(And IT WORKS unfortunately, Mario has to beat those.) but he never flips. The RBs that do this hit the thigh not the Knee. Even so DE and DTs don't go flying like TJ did. They either just fall forward or kind of swept off their feet.

no they go low. and im not talking about the lineman like what they do to mario. im talking about running backs and often the guy flying through the middle flips in the air.

alright im through with this thread. some people apparantly think what tj did is fine. big win for our team, we need this one.

jaybird
10-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Had to come back because I saw Gary's presser... interesting that he said that Travis was absolutely wrong... what he did was inexcusable and he let his team down... hmmmm sounds like I was right ;)

BUT... he also said that Travis apologized to the team, Gary, the official and the Miami players... which shows a lot of maturity...

jaybird
10-07-2007, 08:42 PM

Yeah - from where I was standing it looked like after getting ripped by his coach and realizing he made a mistake Travis went over to the Miami players as Trent was being taken off and looked like he went over to apologize... which was pretty big of him IMO... which is why I don't think he is classless as others have said... just think he made a mistake in losing his temper... which luckily did not cost us the game.

Tulip
10-07-2007, 08:42 PM
I was there and we were yelling at Travis for getting the penalty. But when we saw the replay, I realized that a) Green did that to himself and could have seriously hurt Travis too and b) Travis was yelling at Green because of what Green did to him, not what he did to Green. That's the biggest distinction for me, and I hope that Travis is not fined.

Scooter
10-07-2007, 08:43 PM
no they go low. and im not talking about the lineman like what they do to mario. im talking about running backs and often the guy flying through the middle flips in the air.

alright im through with this thread. some people apparantly think what tj did is fine. big win for our team, we need this one.

my problem with the wording here is that a runningback going directly towards a defensive end is very commonplace (as long as they're not engaged), however it's directly infront of the defender so that they're able to see it coming and protect themselves. green came in from TJ's blind side and threw a low block that TJ couldnt have possibly seen coming. it probably wasnt illegal (since it wasnt completely from behind), but it was close enough to me to be a very dangerous play and the reason so many rules are put in place to protect players.

jaybird
10-07-2007, 08:45 PM
I hope that Travis is not fined.

I agree... I don't see any reason why he should be fined for a taunting penalty... I'm not sure anyone ever has been fined for one before.

GlassHalfFull
10-07-2007, 08:47 PM
What TJ did was wrong - no doubt. Everyone makes mistakes and this one cost the team big time.

HOWEVER - what he did was verbal. People are making it sound like he did an unforgivable physical thing. Green made an irresponsible block, it was a crazy play. Crazy plays are when bad mistakes are likely to happen. Green made a bad mistake and payed for it big time. I hope he is ok and it sounds like TJ regrets his actions. So it is over.

GlassHalfFull
10-07-2007, 08:49 PM
By the way, did anyone else see what looked like a major clip just before that block on the same play? (different players)

Honestly asking. We were at the game and forgot to tape it. We were very upset at the time that they didn't call a clip.

jaybird
10-07-2007, 08:52 PM
By the way, did anyone else see what looked like a major clip just before that block on the same play? (different players)

Honestly asking. We were at the game and forgot to tape it. We were very upset at the time that they didn't call a clip.

Looked like a really good block, but I haven't really paid attention during the replays of it, will have to watch it again.

painekiller
10-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Looked like a really good block, but I haven't really paid attention during the replays of it, will have to watch it again.

There are unwritten rules in the NFL, and Green broke one of them, he hit TJ at the knees, from the blindside or from the front, doesn't matter. Players in the NFL get real mad when hit around the knees.

Travis jump up mad at the hit, yelling at Green. As he approached he realized that Green was not moving, and he stopped. He apologized to Kubiak, his teammates, the Dolphins, and I believe Green. Travis was not taunting, but reacting to a questionable hit. He let his emotions get the best of him in that moment.

He has grown up and he knows that Green on the ground could have been a very bad thing. Also I think the ref threw the flag a little fast, but it was a QB that was down.

HoustonFrog
10-07-2007, 09:19 PM

ESPN can't spin a quote. When it is directly from the guys mouth, that is what I go off of. You can take it out of context but the quote I put was a mix of indignation and "so what"1) Was it a cheap block to take out someones knees...maybe career ending..on a play like that?YES 2) Did TJ have a right to be peeved?YES 3) Once he saw the guy lying on the ground lifeless should he have backed off..YES. 4) After assessing the scene post game should he have explained his side and then apologized for the reation and said it was aprt of the game?YES

My problem isn't with TJ being pissed. My problem is getting down over the guy, pointing and taunting at the time it happened. My problem is after the fact not just saying it was a cheap block but then saying he shouldn't have taunted. My problem is with a guy making a bonehead penalty on a play where we stopped them. We aren't good enough to have idiots doing those things.

jaybird
10-07-2007, 09:21 PM
As he approached he realized that Green was not moving, and he stopped.

ummmmm no... he didn't.... he was yelling all the way to the sidelines... and actually stood over Trent for awhile yelling at him...

he apologized afterwards... but was yelling until his coaches got ahold of him.

PapaL
10-07-2007, 09:31 PM
My understanding; at the LOS a player is allowed to block low if the other player is not engaged. In the open field a block must be above the waist.

jaybird - Seriously give it up. You sound like my 5 year old. Nanny Nanny Boo Boo - Go stick your head in doo doo. Count the time - 3 dang seconds.

jaybird
10-07-2007, 09:34 PM
jaybird - Seriously give it up. You sound like my 5 year old. Nanny Nanny Boo Boo - Go stick your head in doo doo. Count the time - 3 dang seconds.

Hey - if ya'll want to be wrong it's fine with me man... I thought it was funny that Coach Gary actually agreed with me :)

PapaL
10-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Hey - if ya'll want to be wrong it's fine with me man... I thought it was funny that Coach Gary actually agreed with me :)

I'm sure Gary called you confirm your thoughts. Maybe you guys can share some crumpets and tea during the week.

jaybird
10-07-2007, 09:37 PM
I'm sure Gary called you confirm your thoughts. Maybe you guys can share some crumpets and tea during the week.

No... but I listened to his presser and he said basically the same thing I and a few other knowledgeable fans have said...

BigBull17
10-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Travis got caught up in the heat of the moment. I don't know him personally, but so far he has shown nothing, on or off the field, to indicate that he is "classless" or a bad guy.

The type of block Trent Green threw is dangerous, especially when you do it when the other guy is not looking, as you could end a players career by wrecking their knee(s). That's why Travis was hovering above Trent Green, he was mad.

I played football, and have had a guy cut block me before while I wasn't looking. The initial reaction is to rip someones head off. It's a legal block, and I wouldn't classify it as dirty, but I would say it's a "cheap" block.

My point is, I think Travis deserves the benefit of the doubt. I have not heard any post game comments, but I'm sure Travis feels bad about his actions.

Agreed, Green threw a nasty block that can easily end a career. TJ needs to keep his head, but when guys get hurt doing what Green did, its really hard to feel THAT bad for them. It sucks that hes hurt, but did you see the replay of it? TJ rolled on his head. He could have been seriously hurt as well. SSo I have a hard time feeling that bad for Green when he headbutted TJ's knee and got hurt. Sorry if that offends you, but just my opinion.

White Runningback
10-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Taunting is wrong, plain and simple. TJ took a bad spill, but should know that if the attempt to block him was dirty, he would have squared him up and dove at his knees.

**** happens.

PapaL
10-07-2007, 09:40 PM
There's a huge difference between Taunting and mouthing off if the heat of the moment. Taunting is malicious in nature; intentional. TJ was hot - hell I was hot after seeing that block. Unfortunately the rule doesn't distinguish between the two and it is solely up to the ref to decide.

Ole Miss Texan
10-07-2007, 09:43 PM
To be quite frank, I didn't read all 58 pages of this already (exagerations, 7?)

Is what TJ did wrong and should he have been a 'bigger man'? YES, definitly yes.

But I didn't see it as TJ taunting Green one bit. (I understand the penalty) I saw TJ as being pissed some Miami Dolphin blindsided him and took him out at the knees with his helmet, and made him flip over. In reality I think Green was just ducking to try a trip him.

TJ just got up pissed at it, Green could have been down like that that 'crying' like Adam Morrisson in the final 4's, pissed because Ted Ginn just had a -20 some odd run.

Was the penalty called for yes. Do I think TJ is totally classless and trying to rub it in to a man with a concussion...NO.

White Runningback
10-07-2007, 09:46 PM
There's a huge difference between Taunting and mouthing off if the heat of the moment. Taunting is malicious in nature; intentional. TJ was hot - hell I was hot after seeing that block. Unfortunately the rule doesn't distinguish between the two and it is solely up to the ref to decide.

Where do you draw the line? It's nebulous at best.

PapaL
10-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Where do you draw the line? It's nebulous at best.

Exactly - The rule does not distinguish between right or wrong. Mouth off or show boat and you risk a 15 yard penalty. It's a moot point.

White Runningback
10-07-2007, 09:55 PM
Exactly - The rule does not distinguish between right or wrong. Mouth off or show boat and you risk a 15 yard penalty. It's a moot point.

Then I guess you have to penalize everything or nothing. Bottom line is, he stood over the guy and taunted him. IMO, taunting is unnecessary in all instances.

PapaL
10-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Taunting could be called on every play.

A guy sacks a QB and does a dance - flag.
RB runs for three yards and spins the ball on ground - flag.
FG kicker raises his arms in celebration of making a kick - flag.

He did not STAND nor STRADLE over him; he said a few words (2-3 seconds worth) and kept walking. Does that justify a flag? According to the rule it does. I highly doubt TJ said something like Good thats what you get. I hope you can never play again for taking a cheap at my knees.

Hook'er
10-07-2007, 10:03 PM

That's BS, Green went for his knees.................I see why he was upset!:texflag:

Htownsportsfan
10-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Great TJ was just named worst person in the NFL on Sunday Night football

Runner
10-07-2007, 10:05 PM
TJ just made "Worst Person in the NFL" on the half time show. They had a little national spotlight on him and everything.

jaybird
10-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Wow... Johnson just got voted worst guy in the NFL on the Sunday Night football game...

more for still talking poorly about it after the game... I still think it was a horrible thing to taunt him, but I was more mad about the penalty... I didn't think it deserved 'wosrt in the NFL'.

and I think his words are getting taken out of context, but he does need to shut up about it now... hopefully he can let it go and move on to preparing for Jax.

TD
10-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Yeah, but he was called that by the worst sportscaster in sports. Saying Olberman sucks is an insult to the word sucks.

gjmac2
10-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Keith Olberman just named Travis Johnson this Sundays Worst Person in the NFL...........

:confused:

Just thought I would mention it. Come to your own conclusions.

YellerLotYeller
10-07-2007, 10:08 PM
TJ just made "Worst Person in the NFL" on the half time show.

Olberman was pretty funny about that.....scarecrow/heart statement is priceless.:texflag:

tanderson1988
10-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Whoever wrote this article for the AP needs to be fired. This is the most biased, POS article I have ever read.

http://sportsline.com/nfl/story/10394524

HOUSTON -- Miami Dolphins quarterback Trent Green rejoined his team after he sustained a concussion in Sunday's game against Houston and was taken to a hospital.

Green was back in the locker room after the Dolphins' 22-19 loss, with a bandage behind his right ear. He was not made available to the media, but he was going to fly back to Miami with the team, coach Cam Cameron said.

The 37-year-old Green was sidelined for more than half of last season for the Kansas City Chiefs after sustaining a concussion in the opener.

Cameron doubted Green would play next week when the Dolphins face Cleveland. He wouldn't speculate on Green's future beyond that.

"That will all work itself out," Cameron said.

The Dolphins had the ball at the Texans 25 on Sunday when Green gave the ball to Ted Ginn Jr. The rookie fumbled, then picked the ball up and reversed field as the defense chased him.

Texans defensive tackle Travis Johnson hit Green in the head with his knee before Ginn was tackled by Anthony Weaver. After the play ended, Johnson stood over Green and taunted him, drawing a 15-yard penalty.

Johnson apologized to Houston coach Gary Kubiak during the game for the penalty. But Johnson was furious later, accusing Green of blocking him at the knees on purpose.

"The bottom line is, it was a malicious hit. It was uncalled for," Johnson said. "He's like the scarecrow. He wants to get courage while I wasn't looking, and hit me in my knee instead of trying to hit me in my head. God don't like ugly, you know what I mean?

"My knee ain't never hurt like it hurt today," Johnson said. "If you want to hit me, hit me in my head, hit me in my chest, don't hit me in my knee. I'm trying to eat just like everybody else. So, to hit me like that, that showed me what type of man he was."

Johnson was escorted back to the locker room about 20 minutes after the tirade to issue an apology, but still seemed more upset about the penalty itself than his reaction to the hit.

"We're not going to do that," Kubiak said. "That's not going to be accepted around here."

The Dolphins ripped Johnson after the game.

"I didn't see it," said running back Ronnie Brown. "I just heard guys saying that he was standing over him. When a guy is laying down, not moving, that's just something you can't do."

"It was really a classless play," said kicker Jay Feely.

Green lay still for several seconds as medical staff rushed to check on him. The Dolphins gathered near midfield and kneeled to pray a few feet away.

"You're uncertain what's taking place," Cameron said. "It's out of your hands and you just pray for the best."

Green was strapped to a stretcher and carted off as both teams crowded around him. He was moving his arms on the field and Cameron said Green was receptive when he spoke to him.

"When they got him on the board, he was smiling, and he looked at me and was talking," Cameron said. "I said, 'Hey, how we doing?' He said, 'I'm OK, I'm OK.'"

It was the second serious injury in the last two games at Reliant Stadium. Two weeks ago, Houston defensive tackle Cedric Killings was taken off the field on a stretcher after getting hit on a special teams play against Indianapolis.

Killings broke a vertebrae in his neck and was hospitalized for five days.

Green was acquired by the Dolphins in June. Cleo Lemon replaced him and was 15-of-27 for 151 yards. Lemon was appearing in his fifth game in four NFL seasons.

Are you f'ng kidding me? This article completely misconstrued what actually happened. Trent Green tried to illegally chop block our DT and his dumbass paid for it. They make TJ out to be an absolute villain.

houstonhurricane
10-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Olberman is foolish; however, TJ deserves this shot. I am really disappointed with his taunting of green on the field and his idiotic comments after the game. I hope Kubiak disciplines him...

alphajoker
10-07-2007, 10:10 PM
In a way, I agree with TJ. Although, I think it was poor to taunt like he did while Green was motionless, I would have been pissed too because it easily could have been the other way around. It was a cheap block that could have severely injured one of his knees.

nero THE zero
Looks like an accurate account to me. I don't think Green was trying to hurt Johnson and I don't think Johnson was trying to hur Green. It was a bad accident. I also don't think Johnson knew the extent of the injury when he stood over Green, but it was still poor sportsmanship and a legitimate penalty.

Just an ugly play all around that I hope we never see again.

junior
i agree,people will defend him on this board because he plays for the texans, but he was down and litle guys always go low on big guys.

he wasnt trying to take his knee out, and johnson wasnt trying to give him a concusion, but johnson showed his class by standing over him and saying somthing.

if it was reversed and schaub was laying on the ground motionless then people would be screaming at him.

tanderson1988
10-07-2007, 10:11 PM
I would also like to add that while it was inappropriate to "taunt" Green while he was on the ground, TJ likely did not know that he was injured.

White Runningback
10-07-2007, 10:13 PM
This is what I'm referencing in my rant in another thread. You sir, need to have your head examined.

Htownsportsfan
10-07-2007, 10:14 PM
I was out after the game and mised his comments until that segment and I must say, as much as I hate cliche' comments how about feeding Travis a few lines before letting in the reports. Something like.

I hate to see anyone get hurt I should not have let my emotions get the best of me and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Its a rough sport and you hate to see anyone get injured. I am sure he did not intend to hurt me anymore than I intended to hurt him.

Anything would have been better then his rant!!!

TexanSam
10-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Olberman was pretty funny about that.....scarecrow/heart statement is priceless.:texflag:

Yeah I laughed about it too...heh.

DocBar
10-07-2007, 10:16 PM
I didn't see this posted, so I thought I would chime in.
The block Green made was an ILLEGAL block. After a fumble or interception, the team with the ball MUST block ABOVE the waist. This is to protect players from exactly what happened to TJ. After a fumble or INT, there's all kinds of direction changes and chaos on the field. Green should've been penalized for the block AND TJ's penalty was deserved(but should've been offset by Green's). A very unfortunate series of events on that play. I feel bad for Green and am glad TJ is OK and not on IR. Like Joe Friday likes 'em... just the facts.:cowboy1:

TexanSam
10-07-2007, 10:17 PM
I don't really have a problem with him being named Worst person in the NFL. He did kind of deserve it...

ChrisG
10-07-2007, 10:17 PM
i gotta say the stood over him and taunted him gives the wrong impression. He walked past him and said stuff. He didn't stand over green's body and taunt him!

StarStruck
10-07-2007, 10:18 PM
i agree,people will defend him on this board because he plays for the texans, but he was down and litle guys always go low on big guys.

he wasnt trying to take his knee out, and johnson wasnt trying to give him a concusion, but johnson showed his class by standing over him and saying somthing.

if it was reversed and schaub was laying on the ground motionless then people would be screaming at him.

That's the way I look at things before making a decision. It's easy to make excuses when it's an opponent, but I know I would be livid if Schaub was stretched out like that, and an opposing team member was pointing at a motionless Schaub and saying God don't like ugly.

HardcoreTexan
10-07-2007, 10:19 PM
I think they were both in the wrong...green just got a concusion from his wrong

junior
Whoever wrote this article for the AP needs to be fired. This is the most biased, POS article I have ever read.

http://sportsline.com/nfl/story/10394524

Are you f'ng kidding me? This article completely misconstrued what actually happened. Trent Green tried to illegally chop block our DT and his dumbass paid for it. They make TJ out to be an absolute villain.

you know what f your stupid ass comments, check yourself man its just a game and if green had severly hurt his neck permanately would you still say that even though the play would be the same.

people who defend classless players simply because they wear your teams colors are worse than those who do it because you had time to think about your comments his taunting was heat of the moment. not much better but still better than your comments.

jaybird
I didn't see this posted, so I thought I would chime in.
The block Green made was an ILLEGAL block. After a fumble or interception, the team with the ball MUST block ABOVE the waist.

Not doubting you - but do you have a link to the NFL rules? I've been looking for a def. of the rule because I honestly don't know the blocking rules and can't seem to find one.

ChrisG
10-07-2007, 10:20 PM
i gotta disagree with the orginal poster. He didn't stand over Green like the reporters are saying. Houston has always taken crap and this is more of it. TJ walked past Green and said some stuff. I hope Green comes back to play soon, but he took a cheap shot at TJ. I'm not saying he deserved to be injuried. But talking some stuff when walking past the guy who almost ended your career is fine with me

if he stood over greens body and said some crap I would be pissed but he only said it in passing

Revolution
10-07-2007, 10:20 PM
textbook taunting.

You obviously do not know what taunting is. This was a guy p.o.'d that someone took his career into their hands with a cheap shot I(not legal) block. I am glad Trent is okay, but making a block like that, well, he took his health into his own hands...

StarStruck
10-07-2007, 10:22 PM
I think they were both in the wrong...green just got a concusion from his wrong

Why not offsetting penalties?

White Runningback
Right or wrong, I think that anything that debases another them (first down signal after a catch or run, etc.) or if you drag your nuts across the QBs chin after a sack is simply unnecessary. Why can't players just act like they've been there before?

jaybird
You obviously do not know what taunting is. This was a guy p.o.'d that someone took his career into their hands with a cheap shot I(not legal) block. I am glad Trent is okay, but making a block like that, well, he took his health into his own hands...

LMAO - yep... I was born yesterday and have no idea what taunting is... neither does Gary Kubiack or every since sports announcer in America.
:whip:

tanderson1988
This is how I would've written it:

"The Dolphins had the ball at the Texans 25 on Sunday when Green gave the ball to Ted Ginn Jr. The rookie fumbled, then picked the ball up and reversed field as the defense chased him.

Texans' DT Travis Johnson, who was chasing after Ginn Jr., was questionably blocked at the knees by Green, and Johnson's knee ended up hitting Green's head. After the play ended, Johnson ran by the unconscious Green and shouted a few words of disgust at the quarterback's questionable attempt at a block and was given a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Johnson apologized to Houston coach Gary Kubiak during the game for the penalty. But Johnson was furious later, accusing Green of blocking him at the knees on purpose."

Revolution
10-07-2007, 10:24 PM
Not doubting you - but do you have a link to the NFL rules? I've been looking for a def. of the rule because I honestly don't know the blocking rules and can't seem to find one.

Why did you post that the block was legal, if you do not know?

TheCD
10-07-2007, 10:24 PM

That's still no excuse for Green to go low. It was a dirty block, plain and simple. Green was just trying to block for the ball carrier, but he knows better than to go that low.

Now that being said. T.J. has no excuse for his actions, and I think he should at the very least be suspended next week. If he's going to act like that I don't want him to play.

HealingBullets
10-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Green got exactly what he deserved by taking a cheap shot at TJ's knees. I was at the game and could see the hit coming. It is a miracle that we are not here talking about TJ being out for the season. I have no problem with TJ's comments or his being upset at absorbing a cheap shot. I do not think TJ yelling at Green ( who at the time I am sure he didn't know was unconscious ) was wrong.

tanderson1988
you know what f your stupid ass comments, check yourself man its just a game and if green had severly hurt his neck permanately would you still say that even though the play would be the same.

people who defend classless players simply because they wear your teams colors are worse than those who do it because you had time to think about your comments his taunting was heat of the moment. not much better but still better than your comments.

Would you be saying the same thing if TJ's career would have been ended on a cheap block by Green? It goes both ways.

I agree, it was a classless move by TJ to "taunt" him. However, in Johnson's defense, he probably did not know Green had suffered a concussion.

jaybird
Why did you post that the block was legal, if you do not know?

Because I'm pretty sure it's legal, but I can't say for 100% certainty...

so if you want to show me (and the others who have said it's legal) where in the rules it says it was illegal I would appreciate it.

Revolution
10-07-2007, 10:26 PM
LMAO - yep... I was born yesterday and have no idea what taunting is... neither does Gary Kubiack or every since sports announcer in America.
:whip:

Taunting involves standing over someone, something TJ did not do...

Kubiak (notice spelling) and every since sports announcer makes no sense, so please clean it up a little.

rollinstone18
10-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Green's hit was clearly a cheap shot. It looked like Travis was yelling at a corpse so I can't really defend everything he did, but he was rightfully pissed off. I wouldn't call him classless though.

Maddict5
10-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Now that being said. T.J. has no excuse for his actions, and I think he should at the very least be suspended next week. If he's going to act like that I don't want him to play.

lmao.. ridiculous

Tailgate
10-07-2007, 10:28 PM
TJ should not have taunted him. Yet, Green should never have hit TJ in the knees (for both himself AND TJs sake). The end.

TheCD
10-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Looks like an accurate account to me.

I think the report shows a spin in favor of Green. It states that Johnson kicked Green in the head, and then later accused Green of a low block.

While he did end up getting kicked in the head, Green did throw a low block. The article sounds incindiary, in my opinion.

jaybird
10-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Taunting involves standing over someone, something TJ did not do...

Kubiak (notice spelling) and every since sports announcer makes no sense, so please clean it up a little.

Watch the replay again - he walked right over him (not stepping over him which I'm sure will be your response)

And Kubiak said it was taunting... every sports annoucner that has been on tonight has said it was taunting... that clean enough?

Thanks for the spelling smack? You're argument that weak that you have to bring up typos?

rollinstone18
10-07-2007, 10:30 PM
Keith Olberman's attempt at humor makes me want to play russian roulette.

Travis is getting too much flak. Anyone who disagrees needs to consider the fact that a blindside shot to the knees is enough to ruin a career and/or physically impair someone for life.

DocBar
Not doubting you - but do you have a link to the NFL rules? I've been looking for a def. of the rule because I honestly don't know the blocking rules and can't seem to find one. I'm still looking for it on an "official" NFL site, but this might help you.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/askthereferee/cs-061205askjerrymarkbreit,1,4586487.story?coll=cs-bears-asktheref-headlines

jjjezebel
See below...

Maddict5
10-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Would you be saying the same thing if TJ's career would have been ended on a cheap block by Green? It goes both ways.

exactly

TheCD
10-07-2007, 10:31 PM
lmao.. ridiculous

Lol how? We are trying to present an organization of class. TJ has allowed us to be embarassed on national television by his immature actions. I feel that Bob won't stand for this.

bigfan77801
10-07-2007, 10:32 PM
I think T.J. was wrong to taunt an injured player, but two things went through my mind; did T.J. know that Green was knocked out?, and how many people here have been calling for the defense to play with an attitude?:shades:

Htownsportsfan
Look I know as Texans we want to support TJ, but even if I give him the benefit of the doubt and say he did not realize the Green was really injured although he lay motionless on the field when he taunted him. How in the hell can you defend his dumb ass comments after the game? Green is very well thought of around the league and is a high character guy, ranting and calling him a scarecrow if classless no matter who says it, Texan or not. A stupid mistake duing the heat of the moment is one thing, a stupid act after the fact just shows actual stupidity! You are going to see this all over sportscenter, MNF and they already showed it on Sunday night football. As a Texan I can hadle losing even when we should win and never be embarrassed but after five years as a Texans fan I have finally been embarrassed by Tj's actions and words. Because I am a Texan!!!!!!!

jaybird
I'm still looking for it on an "official" NFL site, but this might help you.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/askthereferee/cs-061205askjerrymarkbreit,1,4586487.story?coll=cs-bears-asktheref-headlines

Thanks... still no excuse for what TJ did... but if that is still the rule for today then it should have been a penalty on Miami...

Edit: I reread it... and it wasn't a change of possession on that play... so a block below the knees is still legal. (If I'm reading it correctly)

Runner
10-07-2007, 10:35 PM
After a fumble or interception, the team with the ball MUST block ABOVE the waist.

There might be a "change of possession" clause on a fumble, but I don't know for sure...

Maddict5
10-07-2007, 10:36 PM
feedback from a neutral nfl board

I saw that block.. ****ing retarded on Green's part.. It was like he was trying to hurt Johnson..

Not gonna lie though, I laughed when I saw that happen, because that block was so cheap and he ended up hurting himself..

I think its kinda funny that both Trent Green concussions were his own damn fault. Its not like he was blindsided throwing in the pocket.

that block was cheap as hell. good for him tuanting green while he's on the ground. if it was me i would of did the benoit headbut to greens ass. out cold or not. sh*t was a cheap shot.

i must admit i lol'ed at that last one eventhough it was soooo wrong

Revolution
Watch the replay again - he walked right over him (not stepping over him which I'm sure will be your response)

And Kubiak said it was taunting... every sports annoucner that has been on tonight has said it was taunting... that clean enough?

Thanks for the spelling smack? You're argument that weak that you have to bring up typos?

Come on now really. It is tough to have a conversation, when the person you are conversing with can't complete a sentence. I did not understand what you were saying. You need to think before submitting the post.

TJ walked toward Green, and yelled at him. He was pissed that Green hit him with a cheap shot. That is all that needs to be said. "Every" sports announcer never takes a subject out of context do they? I saw the game, the entire play and I watched the play when I got home. Same thought. TJ probably should not have done what he did, but I probably would have reacted the same way if someone tried to take my knee out.

jjjezebel
Trying this one more time...

Sorry, but you don't go a$$ over teakettle like this:
http://www.texansbullpen.com/07photogallery/Season/2007-10-07-Dolphins-Texans/1stQuarter/DSC_0336.JPG by, as ESPN implied, knocking YOUR knee into Trent Green's head. Truth was, Green took a cheap shot, and paid the price. For TJ to be pissed shouldn't be any surprise.

As for Keith Olbermann to call him the "Worst Player in the NFL?" That's funny considering Olbermann is a freakin' i.d.i.o.t.

DocBar
10-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks... still no excuse for what TJ did... but if that is still the rule for today then it should have been a penalty on Miami...

IMHO, what TJ did was bad form but FAR from outrageous. Trent Green wasn't the only player involved to have a close call with "catastrophic" injury on that play. I didn't see anything at all that suggested TJ was, in any way, shaper or form, showing pleasure at Green being down. I saw anger at what happened to him. TJ has a rep for being self-centered.

junior
10-07-2007, 10:38 PM

I agree, it was a classless move by TJ to "taunt" him. However, in Johnson's defense, he probably did not know Green had suffered a concussion.

absolutely, if green blows out his knees and taunts him afterwards i would be all over green. i also dont believe anyone on here would defend green, do you?

jaybird
10-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Well rev we'll have to just disagree then man...

and if you don't like how I post don't read.... it's a message board, but if you want to bring spelling smack and sentence structure then be my guest.

rollinstone18
10-07-2007, 10:41 PM
absolutely, if green blows out his knees and taunts him afterwards i would be all over green. i also dont believe anyone on here would defend green, do you?

So you mean he'd still deliver the cheap shot AND taunt Travis?

It's a matter of what led Travis to "taunting". A CHEAP SHOT TO THE KNEES.

DocBar
10-07-2007, 10:42 PM
Keith Olberman's attempt at humor makes me want to play russian roulette.
Travis is getting too much flak. Anyone who disagrees needs to consider the fact that a blindside shot to the knees is enough to ruin a career and/or physically impair someone for life. I would play if Olberman has to use a semiautomatic!!!:bat:
I can understand people being pissed at TJ in a way, but NOBODY is mentioning that Greens block was not only CHEAP, BUT ILLEGAL!!!

hot pickle
10-07-2007, 10:43 PM
good stuff tj. i got your back... :texflag:

GuerillaBlack
10-07-2007, 10:45 PM
I would have been pissed off, too. I don't blame TJ.

nero THE zero
I think the report shows a spin in favor of Green. It states that Johnson kicked Green in the head, and then later accused Green of a low block.

While he did end up getting kicked in the head, Green did throw a low block. The article sounds incindiary, in my opinion.

I don't think it's out of line to spin the article in favor of the player that had to be carted off the field on a stretcher.

TigerV1
I would play if Olberman has to use a semiautomatic!!!:bat:
I can understand people being pissed at TJ in a way, but NOBODY is mentioning that Greens block was not only CHEAP, BUT ILLEGAL!!!

Exactly. Everyone seems to be ignoring the lack of class on Green's part. Its easy to attack TJ, but they are ignoring what Green did.

Hook'er
10-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Why not offsetting penalties?

Exactly, what a BS flag!:texflag:

HardcoreTexan
10-07-2007, 10:46 PM
feedback from a neutral nfl board

i must admit i lol'ed at that last one eventhough it was soooo wrong

I wont lie, I laughed too

junior
10-07-2007, 10:48 PM
its amazing to hear so many people defend johnson even after his comments. i know football is very important in texas but i didnt know it was more improtant than your dignity to a few of you.

fans like that dont care what or who it takes to win as long as you win. thats why the T.O. jersey is such a high seller.

tanderson1988
10-07-2007, 10:49 PM
I don't think it's out of line to spin the article in favor of the player that had to be carted off the field on a stretcher.

Even if it demonizes a player who did nothing wrong (outside of the taunting)? The article makes it sound like TJ maliciously hit Green in the head with his knee, as if Green was defenseless. No mention of the block, much less the fact that it was a cheap, dangerous one.

DocBar
10-07-2007, 10:49 PM
There might be a "change of possession" clause on a fumble, but I don't know for sure... I read this rule once before and don't remember it being based on change of possesion. The spirit of the rule was that after a fumble, INT, etc. there are so many players going so many different directions that a block below the waist would be likely to cause career ending injuries. I DO believe it was put in place to protect QB's(what else is new? and isn't THAT ironic?) from having their knees blown out by a D player looking to get a cheap hit on the QB after a turnover.

TheCD
10-07-2007, 10:54 PM

Well seeing as Trent Green caused himself to be carted off, it's unfair to imply that Johnson was at fault. The only thing Johnson has done is let his anger get the best of him and act extremely immature. He has a right to be angry for the block, but at some point he needs to chill out and not say things like Green got hurt because "God don't like ugly."

jjjezebel
its amazing to hear so many people defend johnson even after his comments. i know football is very important in texas but i didnt know it was more improtant than your dignity to a few of you.

fans like that dont care what or who it takes to win as long as you win. thats why the T.O. jersey is such a high seller.

So, I just have to ask, if TJ HAD been seriously hurt by Green's cheap shot, then what would the reaction be?

DocBar
I thought EVERYONE knew that the AP was OWNED by MOVEON.ORG who, by the way, have NEVER, I mean NEVER let the facts come in the way of a good smear campaign.:wild:

Maddict5
10-07-2007, 10:58 PM
LMAO - wow... there's some intelligence... good argument... solid facts you got there.

man about 1 third of your posts have come tonight dogging tj- get over it.. he (and alot of us other mere humans) obviously aren't as virtuous as you and occassional lose our tempers when provoked..

whats that k west song again: 'there'll always be haters, thats just the way it is..'

junior
10-07-2007, 10:58 PM
So you mean he'd still deliver the cheap shot AND taunt Travis?

It's a matter of what led Travis to "taunting". A CHEAP SHOT TO THE KNEES.

ok here you go if green gets cheap shotted which it wasnt, and that player gets hurt and then goes taunts him yes i still am saying somthing.

do you people really think that green says to himself i am going to throw my helmet into his knee, i should be fine and hopefully his knee gets blown out in the process. since it was a cheap shot why no flag, the refs dont know hes hurt at the time of the block.

jaybird
10-07-2007, 11:00 PM
man about 1 third of your posts have come tonight dogging tj- get over it.. he (and alot of us other mere humans) obviously aren't as virtuous as you and occassional lose our tempers when provoked..

whats that k west song again: 'there'll always be haters, thats just the way it is..'

I dogged his action (the taunt) and his comments after the game... the taunt I can understand being upset about... his comments are plain stupid...

apparently some of the Texans fans like the stupidity...

nero THE zero
10-07-2007, 11:02 PM
Well seeing as Trent Green caused himself to be carted off, it's unfair to imply that Johnson was at fault. The only thing Johnson has done is let his anger get the best of him and act extremely immature. He has a right to be angry for the block, but at some point he needs to chill out and not say things like Green got hurt because "God don't like ugly."

I agree.

junior
10-07-2007, 11:03 PM
So, I just have to ask, if TJ HAD been seriously hurt by Green's cheap shot, then what would the reaction be?

the exact same reation as the play would have got if johnson had not have said anything, no reaction.

here is the truth it was not a cheap shot (illegal) just because he didnt like the hit doesnt make it illegal.

GuerillaBlack
10-07-2007, 11:10 PM
I dogged his action (the taunt) and his comments after the game... the taunt I can understand being upset about... his comments are plain stupid...

Almost as stupid as you saying Gary Kubiak agreed with you.

"Hey guys, Gary Kubiak agreed with me! So I must be right and you all are wrong! Ahahaha!".

No dude.

jaybird
10-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Almost as stupid as you saying Gary Kubiak agreed with you.

"Hey guys, Gary Kubiak agreed with me! So I must be right and you all are wrong! Ahahaha!".

No dude.

Listen to his presser - he says what I've been trying to tell some of you.

So... yes dude...

Need me to explain what a presser is for you as well?

Maddict5
10-07-2007, 11:13 PM

whatever rook, you're 1 of about 3 people dogging tj- everbody else realises hes human and was provoked

and btw cheap shot isnt = illegal

jjjezebel
10-07-2007, 11:16 PM
the exact same reation as the play would have got if johnson had not have said anything, no reaction.

here is the truth it was not a cheap shot (illegal) just because he didnt like the hit doesnt make it illegal.

Whatever. It might not have been "illegal", but any time you go for a player by hitting them below the knees, it's still a cheap shot. I was there, I saw it, everyone around me saw it, and we all agreed that it was a BS shot.

And I disagree that if TJ had been hurt by what Green did that there would be no reaction. And I stand by my opinon that Green should be fined, concussion or not.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

rollinstone18
ok here you go if green gets cheap shotted which it wasnt, and that player gets hurt and then goes taunts him yes i still am saying somthing.

do you people really think that green says to himself i am going to throw my helmet into his knee, i should be fine and hopefully his knee gets blown out in the process. since it was a cheap shot why no flag, the refs dont know hes hurt at the time of the block.

Whether Green's intent was to land a cheap shot or not is irrelevant. The fact is he DID land a cheap shot. It's not just Texans fans on a message board who think so. Tiki Barber and Chris Collinsworth, two offensive players mind you, said it was a cheap shot and I'm sure many more NFL players would agree.

kastofsna
here's how i would've written it, to make it seem as unbiased and accurate as possible:

The Dolphins had the ball at the Texans 25 on Sunday when Green gave the ball to Ted Ginn Jr. The rookie fumbled, then picked the ball up and reversed field as the defense chased him.

Texans defensive tackle Travis Johnson hates Trent Green and wanted to hurt him.

Johnson apologized to Houston coach Gary Kubiak during the game for the penalty. But Johnson was furious later, accusing Green of blocking him at the knees on purpose. This is because Johnson hates Green.

Maddict5
10-07-2007, 11:18 PM

hmm wheres that neg rep button

hes saying what we're (or alot of us) all thinking.. green tried a dangerous cheapshot and got what he deserved.. hes being honest instead of the usual pc crap that you want to hear

Andrew6
10-07-2007, 11:19 PM
lol article makes out like TJ was chasing down the QB and forced his knee into his helmet.

Brandon420tx
10-07-2007, 11:20 PM
here's how i would've written it, to make it seem as unbiased and accurate as possible:

Texans defensive tackle Travis Johnson hates Trent Green and wanted to hurt him.

Johnson apologized to Houston coach Gary Kubiak during the game for the penalty. But Johnson was furious later, accusing Green of blocking him at the knees on purpose. This is because Johnson hates Green.

Perfect, now to send it to the presses. :mail:

Brandon420tx
10-07-2007, 11:21 PM
lol article makes out like TJ was chasing down the QB and forced his knee into his helmet.

I was kind of picturing a flying knee drop myself.

jaybird
10-07-2007, 11:23 PM
hmm wheres that neg rep button

Yep - that'll teach me!

Darn it! My rep on a message board just went down!

And God Forbid that I actually expect a professional football player to keep his cool or at the very least say something semi intelligent after a football game... especially when talking about a guy who got injured.

At the very least he could have said he thought it was a dirty hit, apologized for it, and left it at that... but nope... he wanted to get his sound bites out there... I'm sure the Texans will enjoy the negative publicity they get all this week.

Maddict5
10-07-2007, 11:24 PM

lol classic

kastofsna
I think T.J. was wrong to taunt an injured player, but two things went through my mind; did T.J. know that Green was knocked out?, and how many people here have been calling for the defense to play with an attitude?:shades:
unless Johnson is a complete *****, i'm pretty sure he knew that, as he's pointing and yelling at the motionless rag doll on the field, that said rag doll isn't probably in good shape. unless of course he's an *****, as i mentioned before.

Andrew6
lol classic

:shades:

Andrew6
10-07-2007, 11:25 PM
next they're going to say TJ murders kittens.

kastofsna
10-07-2007, 11:26 PM
but before he kills them he taunts them relentlessly.

junior
10-07-2007, 11:27 PM
whatever rook, you're 1 of about 3 people dogging tj- everbody else realises hes human and was provoked

and btw cheap shot isnt = illegal

if it wasnt illegal then why is it cheap? and that rook comment, hilarious. i have been on texans talk for a few years now

there is a reason people get fined for hits, they're illegal, flagged or not.

so when you say cheap shot you mean what? hits you dont like, hits that hurt players, what?

Andrew6
10-07-2007, 11:30 PM

whoa now don't jump ahead of yourself. He has to make sure they are unconscience before he can taunt the poor kittys lol

ObsiWan
10-07-2007, 11:31 PM

Even if you have to lie to do it?
The fact is Green brought the injury on himself. The reader has no clue as to what actually happened by reading that article.

Report the facts. Why is any spin necessary at all???

Andrew6
10-07-2007, 11:32 PM
The fact is Green brought the injury on himself. The reader has no clue as to what actually happened by reading that article.

true how many people other than us Texans actually know who Travis Johnson is.

Maddict5
10-07-2007, 11:34 PM

lmao def deserve rep for those last two posts

tanderson1988
10-07-2007, 11:35 PM

QFT

kastofsna
10-07-2007, 11:38 PM
btw, as a QB, you're taught that, when there's a fumble or interception or designed play or whatever, you have to go low to block. just doesn't make much sense for the QB to try and block the 300 pound lineman. physics don't work in the QB's favor there. so you will ALWAYS see the QB go low. always.

kastofsna
10-07-2007, 11:40 PM
yeah, Green brought the injury on himself by doing what he was supposed to do. makes sense.

Hervoyel
10-07-2007, 11:44 PM

Not really but that seems to be the consensus among people who didn't see what happened. Those people are commenting left and right about this and writing articles even as we speak. By mid-day Monday the UN will probably vote for sanctions against TJ.

For the record...

I don't believe that Green was trying to take out TJ's knee.
I don't believe that Green is much of a tackler to be honest.
I don't believe that TJ was trying to take out Green by kneeing him in the head.
I don't believe TJ even saw him until he felt the contact.
TJ didn't stand over a motionless, helpless Green and taunt him. TJ fired off a few choice words at the guy who he thought (mistakenly IMO) tried to block him low. When he saw that Green wasn't moving he dropped it and moved away.

Much of this is nothing more than misunderstanding and people judging it by what they heard or read. TJ isn't Albert Haynesworth. He didn't jump on somebodies head.

Hook'er
10-07-2007, 11:55 PM
I gonna go purchase me a TJ jersey!

ObsiWan
10-07-2007, 11:55 PM
yeah, Green brought the injury on himself by doing what he was supposed to do. makes sense.

Nobody else made Green lead with his head. He could have hit Travis in the chest but chose - CHOSE - to lead with his head and dive at Johnson's feet.

He's a 37-year old QB, been in the league forever. He ought to know when to get out of the way. Or at least know enough to find someone to block that isn't 300+ lbs. Duuh!

kastofsna
10-07-2007, 11:58 PM
yeah, i don't think just standing around or getting out of the way would've looked too good for Green. the guy makes a block and a freak injury happens, meh, whatever. never seen it happen before, so i'm not going to call him an ***** for it.

DocBar
10-07-2007, 11:59 PM
btw, as a QB, you're taught that, when there's a fumble or interception or designed play or whatever, you have to go low to block. just doesn't make much sense for the QB to try and block the 300 pound lineman. physics don't work in the QB's favor there. so you will ALWAYS see the QB go low. always. K, you do have a point about QB training AND physics, but the physics get REAL ugly when you consider a 10 lb. head belonging to a 220 lb man getting slobberknockered by an 80lb. leg, belonging to a 300lb. man moving at a high(for the 300 lb. man) rate of speed. F=MA. I think I would teach my QB to cower on the field and scream "NOT IN THE FACE!!!" rather than teach them to throw their body in front of some relatively small body parts carrying LARGE amounts of force.

Not really but that seems to be the consensus among people who didn't see what happened. Those people are commenting left and right about this and writing articles even as we speak. By mid-day Monday the UN will probably vote for sanctions against TJ.

For the record...

I don't believe that TJ was trying to take out Green by kneeing him in the head.
TJ didn't stand over a motionless, helpless Green and taunt him. TJ fired off a few choice words at the guy who he thought (mistakenly IMO) tried to block him low. When he saw that Green wasn't moving he dropped it and moved away.

Much of this is nothing more than misunderstanding and people judging it by what they heard or read. TJ isn't Albert Haynesworth. He didn't jump on somebodies head.
Herv, you bring things into perspective rather nicely, as always.

Line_Producer
10-07-2007, 11:59 PM

Are you kidding me? A legal block like that even with trash talking wouldn't have called a penalty.

A quarterback with neck injuries leads with his head? I hate to call someone a short bus candidate, but seriously?

DocBar
10-08-2007, 12:03 AM
Nobody else made Green lead with his head. He could have hit Travis in the chest but chose - CHOSE - to lead with his head and dive at Johnson's feet.

He's a 37-year old QB, been in the league forever. He ought to know when to get out of the way. Or at least know enough to find someone to block that isn't 300+ lbs. Duuh! He's a 37 yr. old QB with a history of severe head trauma. Which came first, the head trauma or the dumb***?? He's had more concussions than Rocky Balboa, so what's he doing out there leading with his chin?? People living in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks, nor should people with glass chins lead with their head!

Line_Producer
10-08-2007, 12:05 AM
I don't really have a problem with him being named Worst person in the NFL. He did kind of deserve it...

You. Are. Wrong. Flat. Out.

kastofsna
10-08-2007, 12:06 AM
wait a minute, i just realized something. isn't Green's block the exact same technique that Kubiak teaches his linemen? "hey it ain't illegal so it ain't cheap!"

Brandon420tx
10-08-2007, 12:07 AM
I haven't really noticed too many cut blocks by texans linemen, maybe if we did more Dayne could finally see a hole to bumble through. Its also different when your 2 feet away facing each other at a stand still, and when your 6 feet away running in opposite directions at full speed.

Htownsportsfan
10-08-2007, 12:16 AM
TJ is an *****! Not for getting mad during the game but you sure as hell dont go on a rant in front of the press and use curse words about an injured palyer. Then he had to take the walk of shame and come out and apologize after Kubiak read him the riot act for embarresing him (Kubiak). Apparently Johnson apologized to Kubiak during the game for getting a penalty, so Kubiak in his presser adrdressed TJ and said how he was growing up. In the meatime TJ goes and runs off at the mouth about how he had respect for Green at 12:01 but now F--- Him! Nice! Then he met with Kubiak and came out and apologized for his rant, what the hell did he think the Texans organizations reaction would be to that kind of crap. On the field in one thing but off the field is just embaressing to TJ and the Texans!

Line_Producer
10-08-2007, 12:17 AM
1- Green was trying to make a play.
2- TJ was trying to make a play.
3- TJ did not intentionally knee Green in the head.
4- TJ jawed as he was walking to the sidelines.

Sounds like football to me. As far as being professional. Don't block below the knees. Period. If he wasn't injured, then there would be no argument at all. That is what is upsetting.

kastofsna
10-08-2007, 12:18 AM
As far as being professional. Don't block below the knees. Period.
Kubiak would need to find a new profession if that was a rule.

Texans_Chick
10-08-2007, 12:18 AM

For the record...

Pretty fair.

The video helps some to get an understanding of it.

However, TJ did not help himself by what he said in the locker room after the game.

There isn't a complete transcript of it anywhere, but he basically went off on Green. Then the Texans staff had to woodshed him. And then he came back and apologized.

AnthonyE
10-08-2007, 12:22 AM
It wasn't either guys fault, and TJ isn't the worst person in the NFL.

TJ was right to be angry about the play. Several things could have went wrong there. Knee injury, arm injury and neck injury all could have resulted for TJ on that play. It was a low block, and TJ shouldn't have been spun around like a ferris wheel on that play.

Green brought it on himself. Although I feel for the guy and I'm sorry he's had 2 concussions in 2 years, it was a pretty low block. I pray that he's alright and kicks ass next game he plays in.

Line_Producer
10-08-2007, 12:23 AM
TJ is an *****! ... In the meatime TJ goes and runs off at the mouth about how he had respect for Green at 12:01 but now F--- Him! Nice! Then he met with Kubiak and came out and apologized for his rant, what the hell did he think the Texans organizations reaction would be to that kind of crap. On the field in one thing but off the field is just embaressing to TJ and the Texans!

Umm...Of course he apologized after his boss said something. Everyone apologizes after the boss says something. If Green wasn't hurt this would be a moot issue.

Ah well. Life. Injuries. Previous neck injuries.

Texans_Chick
10-08-2007, 12:24 AM
wait a minute, i just realized something. isn't Green's block the exact same technique that Kubiak teaches his linemen? "hey it ain't illegal so it ain't cheap!"

A. Kubiak doesn't teach the linemen.

B. Those who teach the Texans linemen, do not teach the same technique that Denver uses.

B1. The Texans do not have a plug and play running game. Neither do the Broncos any more for that matter. That of course, is irrelevant to the point you are making but I figured I'd throw that in there.

Line_Producer
10-08-2007, 12:24 AM
Kubiak would need to find a new profession if that was a rule.

Sorry, let me rephrase. Cut blocking by offensive linemen and blocking by a player from the blindside on a 'return' are two competely different things. Any team.

threetoedpete
10-08-2007, 12:26 AM
?? care to fill me in?

OK you guys who know nothing about football...I understand. I'm not going to go off. However, you got the trail defensive tackle doing what he is supposed to do, trail a revese and shut down the come back. The opposition QB tries to break the mans knees. Just to put a fine point on it, he lead his helmit into T.J. knees and it was shear luck that his cleats were not planted into the turff. Becuase if they were, Trent Green would of ended T.J.'s career. His knees are his livey hood. The way in which he delivered his displeasure might of been wrong. The message was not. Kuvbiak is dead wrong on this one. His temper and not his mind thought this one out. What he just told his locker room is I do not have your back. What he told every free agent who might think to come here in '08, I will not have your back. And what he told every psycho in the league is, you have my unmitagated permision to cheap shot my players. Not only will I not complain to the league, I will stand the guy up in front of the media and humiliate him. Mark it on your calenders. Gary Kubuiak lost this locker room Oct. the 11th 2007.

Hardcore Texan
10-08-2007, 12:28 AM
Pretty fair.

The video helps some to get an understanding of it.

However, TJ did not help himself by what he said in the locker room after the game.

There isn't a complete transcript of it anywhere, but he basically went off on Green. Then the Texans staff had to woodshed him. And then he came back and apologized.

What did TJ say in the locker room? I only heard bits and pieces tonight by Oberman, I would like to hear it in context.

Hervoyel
10-08-2007, 12:29 AM
I've seen players in the NFL intentionally try to injure one another on more than one occasion. I don't see how Travis Johnson could possible qualify as "Worst Person in the NFL" while those people are still playing the game.

He did something wrong because he thought someone tried to hurt him. I've got less of a problem with him jumping up mad and jawing at Green (until he realized that Green was badly hurt) than I do with him trying to spin it in the locker room later. That was when he should have said "I thought somebody was trying to hurt me and I reacted badly. I'm sorry and I hope he recovers fully". Instead he tried to "stay mad" and spin it.

I think he was scared and embarrassed.

Spled
10-08-2007, 12:29 AM
If someone chopped my knee and sent me landing on my head, I'd get up yelling too. Kubiak needs to have Johnson's back.

kastofsna
10-08-2007, 12:30 AM
Sorry, let me rephrase. Cut blocking by offensive linemen and blocking by a player from the blindside on a 'return' are two competely different things. Any team.
not if it's a QB, that's the way they're taught to do it, they always go low. no one ever gets injured in those situations, it's pretty rare, and hardly cheap.

Napa Auto Parts
10-08-2007, 12:31 AM
i missed the game did that trash get a flag/penalty for clipping.

Hardcore Texan
10-08-2007, 12:34 AM
OK you guys who know nothing about football...I understand. I'm not going to go off. However, you got the trail defensive tackle doing what he is supposed to do, trail a revese and shut down the come back. The opposition QB tries to break the mans knees. Just to put a fine point on it, he lead his helmit into T.J. knees and it was shear luck that his cleats were not planted into the turff. Becuase if they were, Trent Green would of ended T.J.'s career. His knees are his livey hood. The way in which he delivered his displeasure might of been wrong. The message was not. Kuvbiak is dead wrong on this one. His temper and not his mind thought this one out. What he just told his locker room is I do not have your back. What he told every free agent who might think to come here in '08, I will not have your back. And what he told every psycho in the league is, you have my unmitagated permision to cheap shot my players. Not only will I not complain to the league, I will stand the guy up in front of the media and humiliate him. Mark it on your calenders. Gary Kubuiak lost this locker room Oct. the 11th 2007.

Is your calendar broken...today is the 7th.

Line_Producer
10-08-2007, 12:35 AM
not if it's a QB, that's the way they're taught to do it, they always go low. no one ever gets injured in those situations, it's pretty rare, and hardly cheap.

Well obviously someone got injured. I hate to see anyone injured, let alone a QB. Rare or not, it happened, unintentially<sp>, but it happened.

NitroGSXR
10-08-2007, 12:36 AM
i missed the game did that trash get a flag/penalty for clipping.

There was no clipping by the play. Clipping is when one blocks from behind. What happened was that Green issued an extremely low cut/chop block on Johnson. The legality of the play is in question. Was it a legal block or an illegal block, that's still up in the air with us. Some think it was illegal (myself included) Others think it was legal.

What's NOT being disputed is that regardless of the legality of the block, it was a cheap block.

And to answer your question, no penalty was given out on Trent Green. The only flag was the one against Travis Johnson for 'taunting' which is also being questioned. Was he taunting or jawing? That's also a matter of opinion.

Second Honeymoon
10-08-2007, 12:36 AM

For the record...

that is my take exactly. green bit off more than he could chew and realized it too late then turned his body right into TJ's knee. TJ knew that Green took a shot but didn't think it was as bad as it looked in slo-mo (which was pretty damn bad). At the end of the day its Green's fault. No one boohooed for TJ or the other texan that got blindsided during that play.

I hope Green is ok and I hope that TJ uses this as motivation....maybe even more of an edge. He has played some good football for us this year and didn't do anything that bad on the field today.

Spled
10-08-2007, 12:42 AM
If Johnson had taken his helmet to Green's knee and somersaulted him on his head, the announcers would have been all over him.

GP
10-08-2007, 12:45 AM
Pretty sure Michael Vick and OJ Simpson would have something to say about who gets awarded "Worst Person in the NFL."

LOL.

People are all kinds of fired-up over this.

Seriously.....it was unfortunate for both players--One guy went low and attempted to take his knees out, the other guy got angry about the attempt.

You guys are too funny.

Second Honeymoon
10-08-2007, 12:47 AM
If Johnson had taken his helmet to Green's knee and somersaulted him on his head, the announcers would have been all over him.

yup. TJ didn't show class by taunting a listless player and his comments after the game were pretty immature but what all started this was Green's cheap block. It's Green's fault not TJ's that this all happened. The football gods sided with us helping that 57 yarder go through the uprights.

football is a violent game and if its to hot then get out of the kitchen. this ain't golf or tennis.

Htownsportsfan
10-08-2007, 12:52 AM

Too funny! Mark it on your calenders! Lost locker room! What a tool!

kastofsna
10-08-2007, 12:54 AM
I hope Green is ok and I hope that TJ uses this as motivation....maybe even more of an edge. He has played some good football for us this year and didn't do anything that bad on the field today.
he should've used it for motivation in the rest of the game, where he looked like crap. also, the Dolphins used it as motivation for sure, which is why Johnson was seen limping later in the game. and good riddance, hope he never plays again. would be an upgrade for the Texans, anyway.

AnthonyE
10-08-2007, 12:56 AM

QBs have no business blocking a 305 lb defensive tackle, let alone a 37 year old QB trying to block a 305 lb DT.

If he was going to block someone, make it a DB.

Texanmike02
10-08-2007, 01:36 AM

I'm not going to sit here and call TJ or TG dirty. I'm just going to say this. It was a hard play. But it could have resulted in serious injury to TJ. TG's was just bad luck. Its unfortunate that he was hurt but he could have ended TJ's career just as easily. TJ had a right to be mad. He didn't know the situation. He didn't know the injury. Look back about a min after the play. At least on the Sunday ticket broadcast... TJ looked shaken up. I don't expect a QB to know how to block, so I won't call it cheap. But if it was a RB or a WR or TE I'd be calling it cheap. Very dangerous. If TJ had all of his weight on that leg when he got hit it very easily could have shredded.

Mike

Leahmic223
10-08-2007, 03:10 AM
I promise you had Green got right back up he would be in the wrong for this and the National media would ignore it completely.

But forget it, its behind me now. Travis should let it go too, we have a big game next week against the Jags.

Koolaid Time
10-08-2007, 04:05 AM
I think the on-field incident was a regrettable accident.

What I DO have a big problem with is TJ’s post game locker room interview. I watched it on the NFLN and you can hear teammates telling him to “cool down” etc. while TJ just let it rip about Green going for his knees, etc. and ‘if someone does that to me I’ do this... (bleep)’…..

It was embarrassing. Apparently someone told the coaches because 20 minutes later he came back and apologized.

Showtime100
10-08-2007, 06:50 AM
Just watching Mike & Mike In The Morning and Golic totally defended TJ's position. I couldn't believe my eyes. Then Greeny The Weenie went after TJ for screwing up the Wizard Of Oz reference..lol.

I don't blame TJ either. I give Trent Grenn props for having such a pair for attempting that block. Glad to see Trent doing OK and TJ still walking.

PapaL
10-08-2007, 06:51 AM
Bocking below the waist, i.e. the knees, is allowed neat the LOS.

In the open field, i.e. on 20 yard loss, it is not allowed.

As taken from NFL.com; link (http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/definitions)

#3 Close Line Play: The area between the positions normally occupied by the offensive tackles, extending three yards on each side of the line of scrimmage. It is legal to clip above the knee.

#4 Crackback: Eligible receivers who take or move to a position more than two yards outside the tackle may not block an opponent below the waist if they then move back inside to block.

/Thread

Maddict5
10-08-2007, 07:00 AM
i was just thinking tj's going to be vilified nationally by MMQB fatso peter king- him and green are bum-chums so watch for him to dog tj totally

Malloy
10-08-2007, 07:00 AM
It sure is funny we ask these guys to get jacked up before a game and go out with a certain "take their head off" mentality, but if they actually lose their cool in a already emotional game to begin with...........they are supposed to not have human responses.

Hehe, were thinking the same thing. It would be nice if we fans could get a concensus on whether or not we want our players to get hyped, jacked up, angry, emotional or whatever before a game. We can scratch Mario's car to make him pissed off, but getting pissed off in a game is a big no-no?

We need concensus, I'm getting so confused here :)

Andrew6
10-08-2007, 07:30 AM
chop blocks are legal by offensive linemen in between the tackles and with in 3 yards of the line of scrimage.

ObsiWan
10-08-2007, 08:39 AM
TJ is an *****! Not for getting mad during the game but you sure as hell dont go on a rant in front of the press and use curse words about an injured palyer. Then he had to take the walk of shame and come out and apologize after Kubiak read him the riot act for embarresing him (Kubiak). Apparently Johnson apologized to Kubiak during the game for getting a penalty, so Kubiak in his presser adrdressed TJ and said how he was growing up. In the meatime TJ goes and runs off at the mouth about how he had respect for Green at 12:01 but now F--- Him! Nice! Then he met with Kubiak and came out and apologized for his rant, what the hell did he think the Texans organizations reaction would be to that kind of crap. On the field in one thing but off the field is just embaressing to TJ and the Texans!

Now this I agree with. After the play, TJ saw the man being carted off the field. Had the whole second half to think about it and come up with something better to say. Yeah, its one thing to be pissed but its quite another to let that anger turn you into an a$$hole.

AND someone from the coaching staff or Texans' PR bunch should have seen these questrions coming and told him to say "no comment" before the press got there.

Look, its already made Wikipedia....

Travis Johnson (born April 26 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_26), 1982 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982) in Sherman Oaks, California (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman_Oaks%2C_California)) is an American football (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football) defensive tackle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_tackle) for the Houston Texans (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Texans) of the NFL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League). He attended Sherman Oaks Notre Dame (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sherman_Oaks_Notre_Dame&action=edit) High School in Sherman Oaks, California (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman_Oaks%2C_California). He was drafted with the 16th overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NFL_Draft) out of Florida State University (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_State_University). His playing time has been limited due to reoccurring injuries.
Johnson was involved in an incident on October 7, 2007. While playing the Miami Dolphins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Dolphins), quarterback (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarterback) Trent Green (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent_Green) attempted to block Johnson. Johnson's knee impacted Green's head, knocking him unconscious and giving Green a second severe concussion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concussion) in as many years. While Green lay motionless on the ground, Johnson stood over him, apparently shouting and making taunting gestures. Johnson received a penalty for his behavior.

That didn't even take 24 hours.

chicagotexan2
10-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Oberman can stick it. I think TJ was wrong to go off in the locker room interview, but I don't think he was wrong to react the way he did after the play. Some fool just went after his knee and TJ could have ended up with severe knee AND neck injury because of a stupid cheap shot. Green is not w/o blame here either.

utahmark
10-08-2007, 09:08 AM
could one of you mods change the title of this thread back to just tj. the way it is now makes it look like im saying something i didnt say.

Mr teX
10-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Oberman can stick it. I think TJ was wrong to go off in the locker room interview, but I don't think he was wrong to react the way he did after the play. Some fool just went after his knee and TJ could have ended up with severe knee AND neck injury because of a stupid cheap shot. Green is not w/o blame here either.

Agree for the most part. Everyone's up in arms b/c Green got carted off & his career is likely over, but what if that happened to TJ with season ending knee/leg surgery or worse, a severe neck injury that could've threatened his career? I doubt the fallout would be the same.

With all the rules that have been developed & instituted to protect QB's, Green of all Qb's with his history of leg injuries in STL & concussions in KC, should've known better.

I can't fault TJ for getting heated during the game, but he could've curbed it a little after the game.

As far as Olberman, i hate that they brought him on the show; i generally dislike it when people on TV/radio are trying too hard to be funny.

gwallaia
10-08-2007, 09:14 AM
could one of you mods change the title of this thread back to just tj. the way it is now makes it look like im saying something i didnt say.

I'll change it. I tried to merge some of the 20 something threads on the same subject into one. But I realized it was futile because as soon as I merged two together, four more would pop up.

GlassHalfFull
10-08-2007, 09:17 AM
I'll change it. I tried to merge some of the 20 something threads on the same subject into one. But I realized it was futile because as soon as I merged two together, four more would pop up.

It is like playing a mod version of whack a mole:splits:

JDizzle
10-08-2007, 09:20 AM

Regardless of if you think TJ had a right to be upset about the hit (I think he did, ftr) it was pretty dumb of him to taunt a motionless QB in front of the officials ... especially when your team isn't playing very well. Luckily for us our kicker pulled a few kicks out of his wazoo and the Dolphins suck.

PapaL
10-08-2007, 09:22 AM
I think we should start a new thread when replying to anything related to TJ, Green, or football.

I guess this is better than talking about our RB issues though.

gtexan02
10-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Ive watched the replay at least a few times, and TJ's initial reaction was not a taunt. He got up, pointed, and yelled at Green. He was pissed for having his legs taken out from under him on a cheap shot.

The rant in the locker room was still stupid though