PDA

View Full Version : Travis Johnson and Trent Green

Pages : 1 [2]

Thorn
10-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Young men full of testosterone who aggressively hit each other at full speed with body armor for millions of dollars get upset when someone goes after their knees and their lively hood. Itís a violent game that produces violent emotions. Yeah, TJ was full of **** and hot air, but so are a lot of football players. I think this is an issue that is totally overblown by the media and fans.

Mr teX
10-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Young men full of testosterone who aggressively hit each other at full speed with body armor for millions of dollars get upset when someone goes after their knees and their lively hood. Itís a violent game that produces violent emotions. Yeah, TJ was full of **** and hot air, but so are a lot of football players. I think this is an issue that is totally overblown by the media and fans.

Church!

Leahmic223
10-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Mike Golic COMPLETELY agreed with Travis.
And then Mike Ditka came on the show later and agreed with Golic. Ditka said he only did it once, and he did it on purpose, but he said once and only once has he done that.

Deion Sanders on Gameday understood where Travis is coming from, but he thought his post game comments went a little too far. Deion said he thinks the grace period should be longer, because he went too far.

I agree, his post game comments were too far. I think he understands that. I know he's mad but if you don't have any thing nice to say, just keep it to yourself.

Also I hope by the end of this year people will know Travis by his play this year and not this incident. I am really looking forward for him to continue his solid play and get better. Hopefully he's pissed that some of the reporters didn't know his name, maybe next week you need to give reason for them to remember the Name.:texflag:

jerek
10-08-2007, 09:41 AM
My two cents echoes the opinions of a few others' I've already here.

What most people don't seem to realize or acknowledge is that everything happens very quickly on the playing field. Especially in the NFL. This is particularly evidenced by the fact that most of the comments here--especially the harshest--are corroborated with statements like "when I watched the replay ..."

Well, it should be obvious but neither TJ nor Green had the benefit of the replay, hindsight or foresight when they collided on the field. We'll never know exactly what went through Green's head or exactly what parts of that thought process were malicious and what were reactionary and reflexive. Similarly I would venture to guess that TJ's initial reaction was just that--a reaction--and that there is no way in the midst of that initial burst of reflexive anger (which is absolutely bred into football players more than any other athletes) that he was aware of or could know that Green had just been seriously hurt. He didn't have the benefit of slow motion replay and every last one of our bodies is programmed with a similar set of reflexes (instincts)--when we perceive threat of or sustain an injury, we react. We can shape or hone these reflexes and instincts and emotions through deliberate training but we can never mute them. His comments to the press afterwards were immature but there is absolutely no way you can believe that Green's injury was intentional on his part, and it seems like a lot of people are still touting that and the subsequent "taunting" as evidence of TJ being a dirty player. Bullhock. A grown man reacted to what he perceived in that instant as a vicious hit.

As a former athlete I can attest to what happens "in an instant" and how even otherwise noble or moral people can lose it in the heat of the moment. My personal opinion of TJ, having spent very limited time with him off the field, is that he ain't the brightest bulb in the box. But doesn't seem like he deserves a lot (some, sure, but not a lot) of the bad rap he's being given for it now.

real
10-08-2007, 09:48 AM
A lot of you very much craved for the Texans to get more media coverage...

We have a winning record...

You wanted the media, you got it...the good and the bad...

Shaft75
10-08-2007, 10:00 AM
I had the same thing happen to me my freshman year of high school and my knee hasn't been right ever since. TJ had every reason to be raging mad.

I would have done the same thing if I could have walked over to do it. He is so lucky that his knee or head isn't jacked up after that play.

StarStruck
10-08-2007, 10:09 AM
My two cents echoes the opinions of a few others' I've already here.

What most people don't seem to realize or acknowledge is that everything happens very quickly on the playing field. Especially in the NFL. This is particularly evidenced by the fact that most of the comments here--especially the harshest--are corroborated with statements like "when I watched the replay ..."

Well, it should be obvious but neither TJ nor Green had the benefit of the replay, hindsight or foresight when they collided on the field. We'll never know exactly what went through Green's head or exactly what parts of that thought process were malicious and what were reactionary and reflexive. Similarly I would venture to guess that TJ's initial reaction was just that--a reaction--and that there is no way in the midst of that initial burst of reflexive anger (which is absolutely bred into football players more than any other athletes) that he was aware of or could know that Green had just been seriously hurt. He didn't have the benefit of slow motion replay and every last one of our bodies is programmed with a similar set of reflexes (instincts)--when we perceive threat of or sustain an injury, we react. We can shape or hone these reflexes and instincts and emotions through deliberate training but we can never mute them. His comments to the press afterwards were immature but there is absolutely no way you can believe that Green's injury was intentional on his part, and it seems like a lot of people are still touting that and the subsequent "taunting" as evidence of TJ being a dirty player. Bullhock. A grown man reacted to what he perceived in that instant as a vicious hit.

As a former athlete I can attest to what happens "in an instant" and how even otherwise noble or moral people can lose it in the heat of the moment. My personal opinion of TJ, having spent very limited time with him off the field, is that he ain't the brightest bulb in the box. But doesn't seem like he deserves a lot (some, sure, but not a lot) of the bad rap he's being given for it now.

I can agree with the heat of the moment and within a second or two I can give TJ the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't aware of the extent of TG's injury and being pissed off about the block. However, once Green was carted off the field, it should have been clear that the situation had a great impact of both players.

The post-game interveiw was about three hours after the incident occurred, and it didn't appear that TJ had any sympathy for what had happened in the heat of the moment. He appeared to be just as angry then as he was after the incident, and going on to make statements about him having to eat, which is obvious, and further making a statement that God doesn't like ugly. To me that sounds like a person that could care less about the injury and that he possibly got what he deserved. Team mates and Texan PR people tried desparately to get Johnson stop talking, yet he continued on until he finished what he had to say.

My question is whether Johnson is upset or not, after three hours, was his response and behavior for the "good" of the team? Did our spectacular day and Brown's crowning moments need to be marred throughout the sports world because Johnson's anger and insisting on having the last word against all the advice around him? Over the years, much has been said by fans about their pride in the Texans being a "classy" organization. That post-game interview did not reflect such. Also, IMO, the apology was pretty hollow given that he probably had no choice after the organization gave him an ultimatum.

Texans_Chick
10-08-2007, 11:01 AM
The blog Kissing Suzy Kolber has a decidedly contrarian point of view to this in the provocative way that KSK does stuff. Warning, the language is vulgar but if that bugs you, you were probably bugged a lot if you went to the game yesterday because there was a lot of profanity there too:

Trent Green's Signature Rollout (http://kissmesuzy.blogspot.com/2007/10/trent-greens-signature-rollout-part-i.html)

And don't even talk to me about that block that Green was allegedly executing on Johnson. That "block" was bull****. You don't put your hat under a guy's knee like that without realizing that you could put him on the shelf for good. You're gonna take away a man's livelihood for a 4-yard gain? Easy for you. You already made your millions while you were warming the bench for Kurt Warner.

And this very same ****head faction is going to follow Olbermann's lead and crucify Travis Johnson, despite the fact that, had his role been reversed with Green's, he would have taken a 15-yard contact-below-the-knee penalty, and probably an ejection. Yeah, maybe I'm crazy for wanting to paint Travistar as the victim here over the poor white quarterback that ALWAYS finds a way to get hurt, but that ******* has every rule in the game designed to ensure his success (and safety), so I'm less than inclined to cut him any more slack.

Johnson's only crime was being excited that Green's pisspoor blocking skill didn't end his career. **** forbid he have the audacity to be upset at anyone that had shown such disregard, or that he be demonstrative when such a maneuver backfires on the agressor. Trav's knee won that matchup fair and square. And besides, If Trent's head was any stronger than a ****ing chandelier, it almost certainly would have been Travistar getting carted off the field.

And would Green have taunted him? No, because Green's a *****.

Texan_Bill
10-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Our thoughts and prayers go out to quarterback Trent Green today as he recovers from a hit where his head collided with the knee of Travis Jackson, whom Green was attempting to impede. Hopefully this won't be...wait, what's that? He's alright? Well, **** him then.

Who's Travis Jackson?!!??

mexican_texan
10-08-2007, 11:04 AM
The blog Kissing Suzy Kolber has a decidedly contrarian point of view to this in the provocative way that KSK does stuff. Warning, the language is vulgar but if that bugs you, you were probably bugged a lot if you went to the game yesterday because there was a lot of profanity there too:

Trent Green's Signature Rollout (http://kissmesuzy.blogspot.com/2007/10/trent-greens-signature-rollout-part-i.html)

You think I'm shelling out a hundred bucks every month on four days of programming to see 300-pound black people shake hands?!?!
:rofl:

powerfuldragon
10-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Trent, you are such a little *****. You pulled this same ****ing stunt in Week One last year, when Geathers laid your loafer-loving ass out on the lawn

loafer loving.

mexican_texan
10-08-2007, 11:11 AM
From Peter King's MMQB

Green's concussion, the hit that caused it, and the issue of legal crackback blocks are going to be the lingering stories from Week 5. You probably saw the Green hit, over and over again in the Miami-Houston highlights. With rookie wideout Ted Ginn Jr. running back across the field trying to pick up blockers, Green dove at the legs of Houston defensive tackle Travis Johnson, who was in hot pursuit of Ginn. Green got the job done -- legally, I might add -- by knocking Johnson head over heels. But diving at Johnson's legs, Green had Johnson's right knee smash into the side of his helmet, and Green was knocked cold. Green weighs 217 pounds. Johnson is a 315-pound man.
King to Green, 5:14 p.m.: "peter king here. just texting to wish you well and to say hope you come out of this okay.''

Green to King, 9:06 p.m.: "Will b ok. Not like lst yr. TG.''

King to Green: 9:08 p.m.: "hey -- how about johnson calling your block a malicious hit? feel better. peter.''

(And this is the one I found interesting.)

Green to King, 9:12 p.m.: "He outweighs me by over 100 lbs. Where shld I blk him? TG.''

Goat of the Week

Houston DT Travis Johnson. I don't care how angry you are. Green's block on Johnson was a legal play, according to the NFL rule book, and for Johnson to first taunt an unconscious man and then continue the tirade after the game ... that is low.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/10/07/mmqb.week5/1.html

powerfuldragon
10-08-2007, 11:16 AM
peter king sides with the man with that titanic melon, Keith Olbermann

Specnatz
10-08-2007, 12:12 PM
he should've used it for motivation in the rest of the game, where he looked like crap. also, the Dolphins used it as motivation for sure, which is why Johnson was seen limping later in the game. and good riddance, hope he never plays again. would be an upgrade for the Texans, anyway.

Seriously what is wrong with you? I thought you had some level of football IQ but I have been wrong before.

The first 10 pages of this is a joke, people overreacting and went off halfassed and started ranting and raving and thinking TJ should be drawn and quartered. Which is kinda funny because isn't that what TJ did during the game and immediately following the game. TJ reacted in the heat of the moment on the field drawing the 15 yard penalty. After the game when adrrinolin is still at a high level TJ was asked some question and he made some really stupid comments but let me slap anyone of you and then have a reporter come up to and ask you about and see what kind of dumbass things you will say?

The hit no matter if it is legal or not is a chicken s**t move. It could have put TJ out and no one in the media would have said a thing about it. Peter King, Olberman and countless of other panzys who have never done any sports in their life are so full of crap that they expect a player not to react? Protect the QB and to heck with the lineman and his career.

real
10-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Hitting a guy lin his knees when he isn't looking is pretty low.

Chance_C
10-08-2007, 12:36 PM
here's how i would've written it, to make it seem as unbiased and accurate as possible:

The Dolphins had the ball at the Texans 25 on Sunday when Green gave the ball to Ted Ginn Jr. The rookie fumbled, then picked the ball up and reversed field as the defense chased him.

Texans defensive tackle Travis Johnson hates Trent Green and wanted to hurt him.

Johnson apologized to Houston coach Gary Kubiak during the game for the penalty. But Johnson was furious later, accusing Green of blocking him at the knees on purpose. This is because Johnson hates Green.

Stay your ass off of our boards then. And seriously, I hope that Trent Green is ok. TJ was wrong in his actions, and I wish it would not have happened. Maybe now we are not your 2nd favorite team, and we won't have to read any more of your BS like this:

Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
he should've used it for motivation in the rest of the game, where he looked like crap. also, the Dolphins used it as motivation for sure, which is why Johnson was seen limping later in the game. and good riddance, hope he never plays again. would be an upgrade for the Texans, anyway.

TJ is still a Texan, and while I don't condone his actions (or Trent's for that matter), I'm not about to crucify him. He keeps acting like that (post game) and Kubiak will crucify him.

Malloy
10-08-2007, 12:47 PM
The blog Kissing Suzy Kolber has a decidedly contrarian point of view to this in the provocative way that KSK does stuff.

wow, I love this blog already! :)

PapaL
10-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Where is the rep button for Suzy Kolber's blog? +1 in my book

Second Honeymoon
10-08-2007, 01:03 PM

kastofna, please go to the Dolphins board and never come back here. Wishing injury upon someone is so freaking lame and is unacceptable.

you don't know anything about the draft, while you claim you do and then you don't know anything about football or ethics either based on your comment regarding TJ. go update your Miss Cleo avatar and just back away from texanstalk.com. your not welcome here anymore after your little commeent about wishing that TJ would have been injured.

Green is a dumbarse and its fault he got hurt. TJ didn't do anything wrong on the field and his only error was cursing in the locker room and not being more professional. Where are all the tears for the Texan who got crack back blocked? Where are all the tears for TJ who was sent tumbling in the air but isn't a wussy like Green, so he didn't get hurt. Green is just an old wuss who doesn't know when to fold 'em.

we don't need your type around here and you would be better served going to a dolphins board and staying away from ours. we don't need you, we don't want you, and for all I care you can jump in a lake.

Green is a pansy and he got what he deserved. I am glad he didn't get seriously injured but if he would have, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN HIS FAULT.

stop signing chinadoll concussion magnets as your starting QB and stop drafting special teamers in the early 1st Round when your QB situation is in complete shambles. Enjoy Cleo and enjoy 0-5. Sucks to be you.

Miami sucks and are now officially the Texans prison wife.

powerfuldragon
10-08-2007, 01:09 PM
wow, I love this blog already! :)
it's a pretty good one.

Second Honeymoon
10-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Seriously what is wrong with you? I thought you had some level of football IQ but I have been wrong before.

The first 10 pages of this is a joke, people overreacting and went off halfassed and started ranting and raving and thinking TJ should be drawn and quartered. Which is kinda funny because isn't that what TJ did during the game and immediately following the game. TJ reacted in the heat of the moment on the field drawing the 15 yard penalty. After the game when adrrinolin is still at a high level TJ was asked some question and he made some really stupid comments but let me slap anyone of you and then have a reporter come up to and ask you about and see what kind of dumbass things you will say?

The hit no matter if it is legal or not is a chicken s**t move. It could have put TJ out and no one in the media would have said a thing about it. Peter King, Olberman and countless of other panzys who have never done any sports in their life are so full of crap that they expect a player not to react? Protect the QB and to heck with the lineman and his career.

I couldn't agree more Spec. Peter King is one of my favorite NFL 'insiders' but he was way off base on this. Maybe it was due to the fact that he has Green's text address for instant messaging....TJ didn't do a damn thing wrong on the field (including chastising Green for blocking him so low while blindsided).

TJ's problems started in the locker room when he started to defend his actions. His best move would have been to say nothing and defend nothing. something like 'I was out there making plays and some guy tried to take out my knees from the blindside and the guy got hurt. Coaches teach players to not go low in order to protect everyone. I hope he is doing OK but this is a violent sport and this stuff happens. It just becomes more magnified when it happens to a Quarterback. This is how I make a living and I am glad it didn't happen to me too. That is all I have to say about that play.'

real
10-08-2007, 01:10 PM
Lets say your child called you and was in trouble or immediately needed your help...like pronto...

You get in your car and begin speeding to their aid....

A cop pulls you over......You explain to him why you are speeding and ask to be let off with a warning so that you may attend to your ailing child...

He says no, states he could care less and he gives you a ticket anyways, further delaying you.

Totally legal, and understandable on the cops part...Totally understandable why you'd be upset....

Now lets say after writing the ticket the cop is walking back to his car and he trips over a rock and takes a nasty spill....He falls with his face in the mud...Legs fly in the air and it looks like a cartoon scene...

I don't know about you, but my original reaction is going to be to laugh....I'd be so ticked that he just gave me that ticket that my initial reaction probably wouldn't be to see if he was o.k...If he laid there motionless for a second, then that's when I'd probably realize what happened and see if I could help..

If I found out all he got was a bump on the head and he'll be alright, I'd probably say something along the same lines as T.J...Something like: "That ****, I had an emergency to tend to involving my child and that piece of ***** officer wouldn't let me go"

I can totally understand where he is coming from....He's human....Maybe I'm a monster too, but oh well....so goes life...

utahmark
10-08-2007, 01:20 PM
what you guys dont seem to understand is that questionable hits happen every week in football. and most of the times its the qb who is getting speared by an agressive guy who sticks his head a little low, or getting late hit, or someone tackling the qb low. how many times do you think green has been cheap shoted. wr, rb, and qb's get taken out by legal and not so leagal blows every week. any one of those shots could end a mans career.

lineman hardly ever take shots like that and then when one does its the end of the world. green made an aggresive play that while looked pretty bad im sure he's had much worst done to him. but most football players know that when a guy is seriously injured its time for the trash talking to stop. tj doesnt seem to get it.

then after the game instead of being concerened about a guy who was taken to the hospital hes complaining about his knee hurting. what a wus, let him play qb and take some of the shots green has taken over the years. to me tj seems like the guy who if given the chance to play green again will do whatever he can to get a cheap shot on him. and the sad thing is some of you guys here will think thats o.k. too.

real
10-08-2007, 01:24 PM

You're wrong IMO.

QB's are protected. Overely protected.

You can't hit them low (Palmer rule), You can't hit them high, you better not hit them a second too late......and if they even look like they are going to slide or run out of bounds you better not touch them...

Did you know that it is legal for a D-lineman to get chopped in back of his legs at the line of scrimmage ?

The problem is that the block that Green threw shouldn't have been legal..The leauge needs to take a look at plays like that...and tweak the rules...There aren't enough rules protecting D-lineman...

Second Honeymoon
10-08-2007, 01:25 PM
what you guys dont seem to understand is that questionable hits happen every week in football. and most of the times its the qb who is getting speared by an agressive guy who sticks his head a little low, or getting late hit, or someone tackling the qb low. how many times do you think green has been cheap shoted. wr, rb, and qb's get taken out by legal and not so leagal blows every week. any one of those shots could end a mans career.

lineman hardly ever take shots like that and then when one does its the end of the world. green made an aggresive play that while looked pretty bad im sure he's had much worst done to him. but most football players know that when a guy is seriously injured its time for the trash talking to stop. tj doesnt seem to get it.

then after the game instead of being concerened about a guy who was taken to the hospital hes complaining about his knee hurting. what a wus, let him play qb and take some of the shots green has taken over the years. to me tj seems like the guy who if given the chance to play green again will do whatever he can to get a cheap shot on him. and the sad thing is some of you guys here will think thats o.k. too.

QBs are so damn coddled. Don't even try to say that Green is tougher than TJ or that playing QB makes you more vulnerable to cheap shots than an NFL DT. That is just crazy. If you even touch a QBs helmet its instant 15 yard penalty. Playing in the trenches requires toughness that is almost impossible to comprehend. Playing QB is probably the most dificult position to play for a variety of reasons but it doesnt require even a fraction of the toughness it takes to play DT. Not even a fraction.

TJ is a Texan. He wants to win and he wants to compete. He is A-OK in my book and I wish we had more guys who have showed the heart and competitive fire that TJ has shown.

Brando
10-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Here is a gif that I made so people who have not seen it can get an idea of what happened.....

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/Amberlybutterfly/output.gif

Brando
10-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Here it is a little slower.....
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/Amberlybutterfly/output-1.gif

Tailgate
10-08-2007, 02:52 PM
There is a new throwdown debate going on over this subject. Go check it out and put a vote in if you would like.

http://www.fannation.com/throwdowns/show/64557

Ckw
10-08-2007, 02:53 PM
I think some people also need to step out of their own shoes and imagine you just got chop blocked in the knees like that. Not to mention, you weigh 300 lbs. And your knee it hurts. Now comes the most important part I want you all to remember. The man has a freaking mental disorder. I don't recall what it is but I remember hearing he takes medication for bipolar disorder I believe. So all you wanting to wish injury upon a hurting man need to imagine they have a mental disorder. He reacted badly, but a person in that state many times cannot control themselves. He didn't pick him up and break him over his knee. He simply yelled at him and told him not to do that again. So all you who want to wish pain on Travis Johnson you can take it up with me! Leave Travis Johnson alone!!!! :crying:

The Dream
10-08-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm going to say it and probably catch some flack for this, but I like T.J.'s comments after the game...not in the sense that I thought he said was right (although he did have a right to be angry), but the fact that he absolutely showed no remorse is "kind of" what you want in a team that is a potential contender...

jerek
10-08-2007, 04:17 PM
I can agree with the heat of the moment and within a second or two I can give TJ the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't aware of the extent of TG's injury and being pissed off about the block. However, once Green was carted off the field, it should have been clear that the situation had a great impact of both players.

The post-game interveiw was about three hours after the incident occurred, and it didn't appear that TJ had any sympathy for what had happened in the heat of the moment. He appeared to be just as angry then as he was after the incident, and going on to make statements about him having to eat, which is obvious, and further making a statement that God doesn't like ugly. To me that sounds like a person that could care less about the injury and that he possibly got what he deserved. Team mates and Texan PR people tried desparately to get Johnson stop talking, yet he continued on until he finished what he had to say.

My question is whether Johnson is upset or not, after three hours, was his response and behavior for the "good" of the team? Did our spectacular day and Brown's crowning moments need to be marred throughout the sports world because Johnson's anger and insisting on having the last word against all the advice around him? Over the years, much has been said by fans about their pride in the Texans being a "classy" organization. That post-game interview did not reflect such. Also, IMO, the apology was pretty hollow given that he probably had no choice after the organization gave him an ultimatum.

The part you're referencing is the "bad rep" he does deserve. Folks crucifying him for jumping to his feet and yelling/taunting (immediately following the hit) is the part he doesn't. JMO.

Battle Red Flash
10-08-2007, 04:25 PM
he was just talking crap to someone that clipped him, I don't think he even realized the injury was serious

After the Killings injury, I think everyone in the stadium thought it could be a very serious neck injury.
Except T.J.

Hervoyel
10-08-2007, 04:38 PM
After the Killings injury, I think everyone in the stadium thought it could be a very serious neck injury.
Except T.J.

Well you must admit, TJ was upside down and landing on his head while the rest of us came to that conclusion. The whole thing took 3-4 seconds in real time. 4 seconds after he got to his feet TJ was past Green and heading for the bench.

Bulluck53
10-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Before I say anything I'll throwout a disclaimer that will go ahead and answer half of the responses this post will get:

Albert Haynesworth is a douchbag

Ok now, watch the play. Whoever #55 is for yall was behind Johnson watching this happen. He kind of hops like he is about to run and stopp him from tauting Green. My interpretation of that is #55 knew Green was hurt (probably by the fact that he was motionless.) Also, a Miami player was jumping and waving the medical team onto the field in the direction Johnson was looking. Saying Johnson didn't know he was hurt or only taunted him when he walked by is dumb. I understand his outrage, it is a cheap block, but Haynesworth was cut buy Gurode from the side when he went off and got suspended. (I agree, different situation but the reasoning for the anger is there). When I saw that all I thought was 'totally classles'.

Vinnie
10-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Before I say anything I'll throwout a disclaimer that will go ahead and answer half of the responses this post will get:

Albert Haynesworth is a douchbag

Ok now, watch the play. Whoever #55 is for yall was behind Johnson watching this happen. He kind of hops like he is about to run and stopp him from tauting Green. My interpretation of that is #55 knew Green was hurt (probably by the fact that he was motionless.) Also, a Miami player was jumping and waving the medical team onto the field in the direction Johnson was looking. Saying Johnson didn't know he was hurt or only taunted him when he walked by is dumb. I understand his outrage, it is a cheap block, but Haynesworth was cut buy Gurode from the side when he went off and got suspended. (I agree, different situation but the reasoning for the anger is there). When I saw that all I thought was 'totally classles'.

None of those other guys you just mentioned that noticed Green was hurt had just recovered from landing on their head in the last few seconds either.

Bulluck53
10-08-2007, 08:15 PM
To me it doesn't excuse it. But if thats your opinion thats cool... but what do you think about his postgame rant? I didn't even know about that until about 5 minutes ago.

Vinnie
10-08-2007, 08:21 PM
To me it doesn't excuse it. But if thats your opinion thats cool... but what do you think about his postgame rant? I didn't even know about that until about 5 minutes ago.

Unprofessional. He should have got it together by then.

BattleRedToro
10-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Did our spectacular day

Don't you think that it is a but much to refer to squeaking out a victory against a winless opponent at home as a spectacular day?

PapaL
10-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Unprofessional. He should have got it together by then.

Maybe he had a concussion? Ok thats a reach. Someone should have walked by and yelled "TJ STFU" waved there hands all around like he and continue walking.

StarStruck
10-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Don't you think that it is a bit much to refer to squeaking out a victory against a winless opponent at home as a spectacular day?

No. 3 points or 30, the Texans are 3-2. I have to be elated at the spectacular contribution from the Kicker.
:texflag:

BattleRedToro
10-09-2007, 06:28 AM
No. 3 points or 30, the Texans are 3-2. I have to be elated at the spectacular contribution from the Kicker.
:texflag:

I too am happy with the win and I agree that the kicker had a spectacular day. I just didn't see it as a spectacular performance from the team as a whole. :fans:

GuerillaBlack
10-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Golic agreed with TJ on Mike and Mike.

hobie
10-09-2007, 08:12 AM
OK guys, let's start to focus on Jacksonville.... What is done is done be it wrong or right. Like TJ or not, things happen in a game we never will know or understand.

GuerillaBlack
10-09-2007, 08:51 AM
It's not like we are playings the Jags.

real
10-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Great Article:http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/solomon/5198468.html

Johnson had reason to be angry

By JEROME SOLOMON
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

TOOLS
Email Get section feed
Print Subscribe NOW
Comments Recommend (1)
Travis Johnson is not the villain he is being made out to be by some. He's definitely not "the worst person in the NFL," as he was so anointed by NBC's Keith Olbermann.

Johnson might not have been the one carted off the field with a concussion after what Texans coach Gary Kubiak describes as a "nasty collision," but he certainly came close to being the one in need of medical attention.

Give an inch here or there, and Johnson would have spent Monday morning on an operating table. (As it was, he spent time getting an MRI on a knee that was throbbing Monday evening.)

So understandably, he was a bit peeved that Dolphins quarterback Trent Green went low with what is a legal but potentially dangerous block. That block is illegal on kick returns and change-of-possession plays. With Ted Ginn dribbling the ball in the backfield Sunday, this was as close to those types of plays as you will get, but technically, it was just a running play. Don't be surprised if the league bans this type of block on reverses next offseason.

Nevertheless, that won't help Johnson's case in the court of public opinion. So let me file an appeal on his behalf. He's innocent of the crimes for which so many have convicted him. Innocent, I say.

He was barely in the wrong at all.

Johnson says he didn't jump up and point at Green to say, "Glad you're hurt, pal." His immediate and justifiably heated reaction was to say, "Hey pal, what are you doing? You can hurt somebody like that." And maybe there was an expletive or eight tossed in for flavor.

That's not even taunting in my book. It rightly drew a flag from the game officials, but if intent meant anything ...

The understandable or deplorable (depends on your perspective) video of Johnson yelling and pointing at Green, who lay motionless on the turf at Reliant Stadium, will get plenty of run this week. There was no way for Johnson to know Green wasn't going to get up and walk off the field. Should Johnson have checked the guy's vitals before screaming at him in frustration?

If you watch the replay at regular speed, you see Johnson stood over Green for barely a second. When he realized Green wasn't moving, he moved on. Believe it, he probably wishes Green had
stood up so he could have knocked him down. Now, that would have been stupid.

Some people have accepted Johnson's initial rant — Kubiak didn't and has let Johnson know so because the resulting 15-yard taunting penalty cost the Texans — but they find his locker room rant some two hours later inexcusable. After all, Green left the field strapped to a gurney.

Just two weeks earlier, Johnson's teammate and fellow defensive lineman Cedric Killings left the same field in the same position with a serious neck injury.

After that game, Johnson was the first Texan to visit Killings at Methodist Hospital. The man has a heart. He didn't lose it in two weeks, and he didn't lose it because of what he perceived to be a cheap shot from Green.

What has been underreported is the fact that by the time the cameras spotlighted Johnson after the game, everyone knew Green wasn't paralyzed. All he had was a concussion.

I know you're thinking, "All?" If my head was mush after said collision, that wouldn't be so easy to say, but we're talking about football players here. They keep count of their concussions like they do sacks and touchdowns.

Many might wonder why Johnson had a ridiculous rant left in him after the game, but I'm not surprised. Green wasn't seriously hurt (by NFL standards), and Johnson was still angry that Green sent him into a Mary Lou Retton that could have ended his career.

The NFL-mandated 10-minute cooling-off period is hardly enough time to gather one's thoughts after an emotional victory like the Texans pulled off in the final seconds Sunday. It's great for the media but bad for players. Especially straight shooters like Johnson, who at times speaks before thinking.

Ten hours would have been better.

But let's keep it at 10 minutes. I like it better that way. More fodder.

Johnson will speak today or maybe Wednesday.

Now, if he's smart, he'll apologize to Bob McNair for showing up on SportsCenter cursing out an opponent, and he'll apologize to young fans for breaking the blue laws against using that language on Sundays.

Don't expect Johnson to apologize for being angry at Green.

Don't expect him to apologize for yelling at Green.

Really, he shouldn't have to.

disaacks3
10-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Wow, that may be the only time I EVER agree with Jerome Solomon. Kudos to him for getting it right.

powerfuldragon
10-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Wow, that may be the only time I EVER agree with Jerome Solomon. Kudos to him for getting it right.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/TheKingOfBums/cuban.jpg

Vinnie
10-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Maybe he had a concussion? Ok thats a reach. Someone should have walked by and yelled "TJ STFU" waved there hands all around like he and continue walking.

LOL! Where's Antonio Pierce and his air horn when you need him? :horn:

Texans_Chick
10-09-2007, 09:53 AM

He also suggested before the preseason games that the Texans could win 9 to 10 games this year. (though he has tempered that some with discussions of the injuries). He was one of the people who believed that DC was a huge boat anchor on the offense and that better quarterback play would mean more wins.

I don't agree with everything he writes, but I can't think of anyone I ever agree completely with. Even myself sometimes. :cool:

Second Honeymoon
10-09-2007, 09:56 AM
I agree. It's Green's fault he is a concussion magnet. He tries to play chicken and then realizes its about to get ugly and then puts his body in a bad position (see Sunday's play or last years Week 1 slide and tuck)

TJ should have showed more class but I am sure he is sick of all the coddling that goes on for QBs while the QBs seem to be immune to the same rules of sportsmanship.

Green used a cheap block (though legal) on a player that was unaware of his presence and was blindsided. I know TJ said it first, but **** Trent Green.

this is NFL Football not Romper Room

TexansSeminole
10-09-2007, 10:14 AM
IMO it was an attempt at a boderline illegal block. Trent saw that TJ didnt see him coming and dove at his knee. It just happened that instead of taking his knee violently off the ground during the block he got hit in the head with the knee. Trent probably could have had a nice block on TJ if he would have hit him in the chest, TJ didnt even see him. It is likely that TJ would have been knocked off his feet if Trent had gone for a higher block because TJ didn't see him at all. TJ even said "It showed me what kind of man he is". I agree with him. It's one thing to go for someones knee head on, where they can see you do it, but it is another thing to come from behind someone and throw your body weight lead by your helmet into the side of someone's knee. That's pretty weak.

Double Barrel
10-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Golic agreed with TJ on Mike and Mike.

It doesn't surprise me. A lot of NFL players - especially linemen - agree with the reasons behind TJ's anger.

I can't remember the last time I agreed with him, too. But I think his article was spot on.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/TheKingOfBums/cuban.jpg

lol:

Save Picture As....

Trent probably could have had a nice block on TJ if he would have hit him in the chest, TJ didnt even see him. It is likely that TJ would have been knocked off his feet if Trent had gone for a higher block because TJ didn't see him at all.

Andre Ware said the same thing yesterday morning. He elaborated that you could knock any 300+ man on his butt if the dude doesn't see you coming. Green would've had a great highlight, too, knocking a d-lineman on his ass by getting up under his shoulder pads.

I hope Green is alright, but his injury is all on him. TJ had nothing to do with that, and his only mistake was not controlling his emotions.

real
10-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Does anyone remember Bledsoe's hit when he was with the bill's a couple years back ?

Specnatz
10-09-2007, 11:06 AM
WOW I agree with J Soloman. Like I said in my post earlier immediately after a game is not the best time to get a clam response from most players in the NFL.