PDA

View Full Version : Is a Win a Win?

TheCD
10-07-2007, 06:38 PM
I just want to gauge everyone's position on here after this game. It was obviously an ugly win, but we pulled through anyways. So here's my question:

Not taking into account everyone that's injured...To you, is a win a win, or is an ugly win like this indicative of problems that can come up next week? In otherwords, are you happy we got the win, or are you worried that we barely won?

jaybird
10-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Hell yes!

We didn't have hardly any offensive weapons... NO running game... and going against one of the best RBs in the league... I don't care how you win... it's a "W"

Very happy... but know there is a lot to work on before going to Jax

Leahmic223
10-07-2007, 06:43 PM
I don't care if we win a game by a safety and turn over the ball 8 times against the Raiders this year(of course frustration will be present during the game)...a win is always a win no matter how you win it.

IlliniJen
10-07-2007, 06:45 PM
A win IS a win.

Here's what I'm worried about:

1. Our utter lack of a run game. We SUCKED against the worst run DEF in the league. This must be addressed in the next draft, because depending on injury-prone Ahman Green is not going to get it done.
2. Our utter lack of a pass rush. I don't know if our defense is playing really vanilla right now, but I'm not seeing the same DEF from the beginning of the season.

What I'm not worried about:

1. Matt Schaub. Again, the national press, radio bobbleheads and sports pundits everywhere owe the Texans a huge apology. It WAS David Carr, not our offensive line.
2. Our WRs. Once healthy, I think we're scary talent-wise.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the win. We need to mix it up in the running game and get Green healthy...I fear we're a little too predictable right now, and I know that may be due to our lack of talent. We also need to be more aggressive on the DEF line and blitz more often.

Schaub got us in a position to win. Period. And Kris Brown kicked his heart out today. He was money.

grinch1134
10-07-2007, 06:46 PM
A win will always be a win as long as your season is defined by your win-loss ratio

TheCD
10-07-2007, 06:48 PM
1. Our utter lack of a run game. We SUCKED against the worst run DEF in the league. This must be addressed in the next draft, because depending on injury-prone Ahman Green is not going to get it done.

Would you be up for Turner in FA? I was initially against it, but after games like today, I keep getting more and more interested. The only problem is he would want to be the feature back, and I don't know if Green is willing to take a backseat.

jaybird
10-07-2007, 06:49 PM
\ Again, the national press, radio bobbleheads and sports pundits everywhere owe the Texans a huge apology. It WAS David Carr, not our offensive line.

I agree and disagree on this one... Matt has been playing really well... but the Texans OL is subpar... they have average pass blocking and below average run blocking.

Next year the Texans need to invest in OL and a young RB whether it be in FA or the Draft. Of course a few new DBs wouldn't hurt either ;)

jaybird
10-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Would you be up for Turner in FA? I was initially against it, but after games like today, I keep getting more and more interested. The only problem is he would want to be the feature back, and I don't know if Green is willing to take a backseat.

As old as green is he has to understand that whoever the Texans bring in (whether Turner or a guy in the draft) he will probably quickly be on the back burner.

kcdoubleeagle
10-07-2007, 06:50 PM
A win will always be a win as long as your season is defined by your win-loss ratio

You are your record.....so yes a win is a win. Remember, this is the NFL and the Dolphins have some amazing talent. Also, our top playmakers are out and we still pulled it off.

IlliniJen
10-07-2007, 06:53 PM

I would go RBBC in a heartbeat if it meant having a real running game. Green would have to be realistic about his age and his injuries and play a Julius Jones-like role.

I would be more interested in seeing who is available in the draft, which I'm told will be deep at RB this year. I'm looking for a franchise RB, not just a bandaid.

IlliniJen
10-07-2007, 06:55 PM
I agree and disagree on this one... Matt has been playing really well... but the Texans OL is subpar... they have average pass blocking and below average run blocking.

Next year the Texans need to invest in OL and a young RB whether it be in FA or the Draft. Of course a few new DBs wouldn't hurt either ;)

I should have been more precise. David Carr, under pressure, is an absolute mess. He also would feel pressure that wasn't there. I don't think I ever once saw him step up in the pocket when feeling heat from the side...he would always flush out and many times cause his own sacks.

Many folks outside of Houston put all the fault at the feet of the O-line and those of us who have been around since year one know the true story.

jaybird
10-07-2007, 06:55 PM
I would be more interested in seeing who is available in the draft, which I'm told will be deep at RB this year. I'm looking for a franchise RB, not just a bandaid.

Should be very deep!:whip:

jaybird
10-07-2007, 06:58 PM
I should have been more precise. David Carr, under pressure, is an absolute mess. He also would feel pressure that wasn't there. I don't think I ever once saw him step up in the pocket when feeling heat from the side...he would always flush out and many times cause his own sacks.

Many folks outside of Houston put all the fault at the feet of the O-line and those of us who have been around since year one know the true story.

yeah - I agree with you there... just wanted to make sure you didn't think that this OL was great ;) They are servicable for the year... but will need an upgrade next year. I was actually really surprised we didn't go OL early in this year's draft.

The Pencil Neck
10-07-2007, 07:52 PM
A win is a win. I'm happy to get it no matter how ugly it is.

Pretty much every team is going to have bad days. Getting an ugly win means that your team is fighting and isn't giving up even though things aren't working the way they'd like. It's really easy to cave in and give up and lose games when things aren't clicking. So... I'm happy with this.

BUT.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't be concerned about our problems and we do have problems. Schaub and the passing game have been great but we need a running game.

Marcus
10-07-2007, 08:08 PM
:um: Huh?

If you thought it was an ugly win, which of course it was, then "NO" would be the selection, right?

Weird.

eriadoc
10-07-2007, 08:24 PM
There needs to be an Option C - Yes, a win is a win, and it presents problems for next week.

edo783
10-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Would you be up for Turner in FA?

Short answer...Heck Yes! However, after todays game (something like 9 carries and 143 yards) he is going to be expensive. His agent is going to push him big time for a huge payday.

TheCD
10-07-2007, 08:42 PM
There needs to be an Option C - Yes, a win is a win, and it presents problems for next week.

Doesn't that fall into category A? I meant more or less that A is that you can be happy looking forward to next week...or B, you are seriously worried about next week because of the ugly win.

Marcus
10-08-2007, 12:37 AM
Doesn't that fall into category A? I meant more or less that A is that you can be happy looking forward to next week...or B, you are seriously worried about next week because of the ugly win.

Well, if that's what you meant, then I'll bet anyone who voted A, will want to switch. How could you NOT be worried about next week? If it hadn't been for Chris Brown's heroics, we would have lost to an 0-4 team.

Vinny
10-08-2007, 12:42 AM
the only thing better than a win is not losing.

texasguy346
10-08-2007, 01:32 AM

That's a Yogi-ism if I ever heard one.

Specnatz
10-08-2007, 03:58 AM

Hell a tie is even better than a loss.

maddogmrb
10-08-2007, 08:46 AM

100% Agreed. Our running game probs are a comb of lack of ability on the oline and with the RB's. Both need to be addressed this off-season. I'm hopeful that a healthy Chris Taylor will help the RB's. Spencer should help the running game and pass protection .... if he's healthy and can stay that way. Either way, those are big ifs at this point and we need to address both the oline and RB this off-season. Also, we need to get a good look at Studdard at LG and White at C to see what they can do. It may be that a healthy Spencer with these 2 youngsters could go a long way to helping our running game and pass protection.

HoustonFrog
10-08-2007, 08:49 AM
We are talking Houston Texans here...a W is a special day. You can work on the problems and still have a W..:cool:

DBCooper
10-08-2007, 11:06 AM
When you look at the standings, all you see is W's and L's. It doesn't matter how they got there.

Double Barrel
10-08-2007, 11:27 AM
It was a hard win, but not an ugly one. Only losing is ugly, IMO.

The Pencil Neck
10-08-2007, 11:32 AM

Winning with negative net passing yardage. That's an ugly win.

Marcus
10-08-2007, 11:36 AM

Winning by a 57 yard FG with no time on the clock against an 0-4 team with no running game?

Naa . . that was UGLY!

Double Barrel
10-08-2007, 11:43 AM
I guess...I understand the perspective, but I see a "W" as beautiful no matter how we got it.

So if something is beautiful, it cannot be ugly, IMO.

We played ugly, yes, but the win itself was beautiful and the heart the team showed in the face of such brutally fugly play was a work of art to me.

It's just a matter of perspective, I suppose.

Thorn
10-08-2007, 11:54 AM
When you look at the standings, all you see is W's and L's. It doesn't matter how they got there.

Yep, I agree. If you think about it, the Colts fans probably think their win over us was ugly, but it's still a W and not a L.

Cjeremy635
10-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Yes, a win is a win. Even more importantly, if we can miraculously get healthy again, this win could be significant if we end up scratching at the door come play off time. Yes, nail biters always make me nervous given our history, but this team never gave up today and that's bigger than an "ugly" win. All in all, I'm happy with a severe case of nervousness. :cool:

gjmac2
10-08-2007, 12:45 PM

On the drive where Schaub hit Owen Daniels at the 5 yrd line, right after he released the ball, Schaub got hit in the legs. He stood in there, knowing he was going to get hit, and delivered the ball. David Carr would not have made that play. To me, that's the difference in the #8 of last year and this year.

Old School
10-08-2007, 03:26 PM
I guess I'm one of the few that opted for "B". I enjoyed the win and sure, any win is a good win....On that day. Today, I am worried about the next game because our running game is pathetic at best and even if Green does make it back next week I don't think it will be that much improved. Our O-Line is in really bad shape and I never imagined the not having McKinnney would make this much of a difference.

Vinny
10-08-2007, 03:29 PM
I never imagined the not having McKinnney would make this much of a difference.
It's the first game we have ever won when McKinney didn't play....how's that for an obscure factoid?

Old School
10-08-2007, 03:34 PM
It's the first game we have ever won when McKinney didn't play....how's that for an obscure factoid?
Yeah and it took a 57 yard field goal with 1 second left. maybe we should draw up his lifetime contract now before the rest of the league catches on!!!

Giant Tiger
10-08-2007, 03:48 PM
You need some ugly wins (or lucky ones) to be successful. Denver had good records in the 90's but they had some wins when statistically it looked like they were getting slapped around in total yards, time of posession etc. Course it didn't hurt that they had Elway.
Last year Tennessee got the win at home, but the Texans played better. I hope we beat them exactly like that this year.:pirate:

Brando
10-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Chester as quoted in todays Chronicle.....

I'll tell you this - I'll take an ugly 'W' over the most beautiful loss ever in history, every day of the week.

Texanmike02
10-09-2007, 03:53 AM
I voted no. I know noone's surprised but at this point I think you have to be more concerned about the way the game is played... not the final score. That said it is a young team and they are starting to learn how to win games which is important too. I can think back to the colts games and especially the N.E. game a few years back where we had teams on the ropes but just didn't know how to win games. I wish there was a vote for "The W was nice but we should be worried about next week".

Mike

brickman
10-09-2007, 06:19 AM
A win is a win, but this team needs to nut up and start to play with a swagger. The run game is horrible and it's impossible to tell if it's the O Line or the fact that Green is out and we're counting on 2 bad rb's in Dayne and Gado... both castoffs from other teams.

austintexanite
10-09-2007, 01:07 PM
I will gladly take an ugly W for a great L.