PDA

View Full Version : 10 random thoughts from Week 5

drewmar74
10-07-2007, 05:44 PM
1) Our prayers should go out to Trent Green. Given his concussion last year and then the apparent severity of this one, I suppose its possible that we may have seen a career ending hit today. Forget the game, though, I just pray he'll be 100% okay.

2) QB's were dropping like flies today. Green goes out. Carr goes down with a back injury but comes back. Harrington stunk so bad he got benched. Leinart hosed up his collarbone. Croyle had to take over for a nicked up Huard.

3) I just don't see how we can keep trotting Ron Dayne out on to the field. Do SOMETHING in the personnel department, even if it might be wrong, because Dayne just can't do anything other than tip-toe to the line and then fall down.

4) St. Louis and New Orleans were too teams predicted to make noise in the NFC this year. They're winless with their combined records and have both looked pretty listless so far this season.

5) New England is still pretty darn scary. Yeah, Cleveland was able to hang on and make a better show of it than Cincinatti did. But the Pats are a tough club and can kill you in a variety of ways. And apparently no one told Junior Seau that he's 68-years-old judging by the two picks that he had today.

6) Is it just me, or are there tons of injuries this year? I know that it is a violent sport, but it just seems like the injury bug has come on with a vengance in the first part of the season.

7) Who would have thought that Andre Davis, someone that when signed made us all go "huh?", may have ended up being our most valuable free agent addition after Schaub?

8) Seeing Gary Coleman in a Falcons uniform just looked odd. It still takes him 30 minutes to wind that arm up, though. That didn't change.

9) Has there been a running back who has done less after signing a monster contract extension than Larry Johnson this season. He had 12 yards today. 12. Those are Ron Dayne like numbers. LJ has something like 275 yards on the season and hasn't seen the endzone. By comparison, Dayne has 179 and a TD. If I'm a KC fan, I'm sick about it.

10) Ronnie Brown is a machine. I had seen him just in clips so far this year so watching him was a treat - even if he was gashing my Texan defense. Dude is a beast and if I'm a 'phins fan, I know there is hope if he can keep moving the ball like that.

mexican_texan
10-07-2007, 05:48 PM
2) QB's were dropping like flies today. Green goes out. Carr goes down with a back injury but comes back. Harrington stunk so bad he got benched. Leinart hosed up his collarbone. Croyle had to take over for a nicked up Huard.

That play was vintage Carr. He was pressured, so he ran away from the line of scrimmage and right into a defender. He literally turned around and went the wrong way.

TexanSam
10-07-2007, 05:54 PM
This isn't really a random though just for week 5 but I'll post it anyway...

Does anyone think that Denver's offense has gone south since Kubiak left to become our head coach? I know Cutler is a new QB there and young and relatively inexperienced, but that offense just doesn't look the same.

Scooter
10-07-2007, 08:12 PM
6) Is it just me, or are there tons of injuries this year? I know that it is a violent sport, but it just seems like the injury bug has come on with a vengance in the first part of the season.

i dont know that we're on pace for more injuries than a normal year, but it definitely seems that there are a lot more traumatic and severe injuries than most seasons and we're not even half way through yet.

GlassHalfFull
10-07-2007, 08:31 PM
1) Our prayers should go out to Trent Green. Given his concussion last year and then the apparent severity of this one, I suppose its possible that we may have seen a career ending hit today. Forget the game, though, I just pray he'll be 100% okay.

Just being picky, but Green was the one doing the hitting - not the one getting hit. I don't want that fact lost in all the fuss about the taunting call. Agree about praying he'll be ok.

drewmar74
10-07-2007, 08:31 PM
a lot more traumatic and severe injuries than most seasons and we're not even half way through yet.

I guess that was what I was trying to get at it. More season and career enders so far.

RTP2110
10-07-2007, 09:37 PM
10) Ronnie Brown is a machine. I had seen him just in clips so far this year so watching him was a treat - even if he was gashing my Texan defense. Dude is a beast and if I'm a 'phins fan, I know there is hope if he can keep moving the ball like that.

Looks to me like Cameron has had a big impact on Brown's production. He looks light years better than when Miami came to Reliant last year. LT seems to be struggling a bit w/o Cameron too.

kastofsna
10-08-2007, 09:33 AM
yeah, Cameron has been great for Ronnie, but not in terms of scheme or anything. he just flatout said "if you don't lose weight, you're going to get benched." period. and guess what? he lost the weight, but he wasn't too happy about the threat in preseason, so because of that, Cameron essentially gave the starting role to another guy, and Brown was actually relegated to returning kickoffs. he got the message. three straight 100-yard games, and a HUGE threat in the passing game, too. he's the kind of player that Reggie Bush is supposed to be: great runner who has great hands, too. he's a special player, and it's nice to shut up all the idiotic Miami fans who have been saying "he's a bust" since he entered the league, because he hasn't been getting great stats.

also the o-line has been playing GREAT. Samson Satele, a rookie at center, is awesome. Rex Hadnot? Vernon Carey? future pro bowlers if they keep it up.

this team is definitely resembling the '02 Chargers team. great running game, and little else.

Goldensilence
10-08-2007, 01:07 PM
1. Washington Impressed me a lot.

2. Corrdinators finding success or keying it. Greg Williams Defensive gameplan really locked down the Lions and really exposed what they liked to do.Al Saunders has made Jason Campbell look like he has pro-bowl potential. Phillips and Garrett collectively have Dallas playing great football. Cam has Ronnie Brown looking a bit like LT did last year. Tomlin has the Steelers looking impressive without several key players. Ken Wisenhunt and the Cards look a lot better this year.

3. Schaub has been worth the trade. Favre is getting a lot of press for leading his team passing to the fast start but Schaub is doing the same with less.

4.Running game needs life support here and we need a a new center.

5. LJ, LT, and Steven Jackson's struggles this year.

6. Agreed about the injuries this year.

7. Everyone is talking about Favre and the Pack, Moss and the Pats, the talented but struggling Chargers, Romo and the Cowboys....but seriously why isn't anyone really talking about the defending champs who are also 5-0 again. They won convincingly at TB without several starters including Sanders and Marvin Harrison.This team looks BETTER then the one who won the SB last year.

8.The AFC south is looking like the best division in football.

9. New Orleans regressing. They miss Deuce and should've went defense instead of drafting Meachem. Payton got too cute instead of running the offense through Deuce and Brees first.

10. we're set at WR. Davis has really stepped up his game big time... I hope when we get healthy that sticks in Kubiak's mind and we don't shut him out of the offense.

bah007
10-08-2007, 01:12 PM
10. we're set at WR. Davis has really stepped up his game big time... I hope when we get healthy that sticks in Kubiak's mind and we don't shut him out of the offense.

I agree. Davis has earned that at least.