PDA

View Full Version : Davis?

Sideline
10-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Have we manage to revive a rarther large talent with Andre Davis stepping up to the plate, I have seen nothing but good things since we were made to notice him in the Colts game with everyone else out.

I am a big Walter fan personally but with Davis stepping up when AJ comes back do we look at Davis as the #2?

The best thing about the first time I noticed him was when Yankee said at the Colts game something along the lines of 'come on Davis nows the time to start catching something' moments later came the long completion to the one yard line, and he hasn't really looked back since.

Texan_Bill
10-04-2007, 04:43 PM
I remember asking about Andre Davis back in June and some of the responses were:

Davis is in a make it or break it year for his career. He should be a cheap addition if he makes the squad. My understanding is few think he makes the roster.

He's really going to have to step up. If he can get the job done, great. I haven't heard anything about how he's been looking so far. We'll have to wait for TC to really see where he's at.

I think Andre Davis will be cut.

How good is Andre Davis really?

Specnatz
10-04-2007, 04:46 PM
He sucks!

:user:

real
10-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Without having seen him play and going off of reports, I thought he'd be cut...

The Pencil Neck
10-04-2007, 04:52 PM
Have we manage to revive a rarther large talent with Andre Davis stepping up to the plate, I have seen nothing but good things since we were made to notice him in the Colts game with everyone else out.

I am a big Walter fan personally but with Davis stepping up when AJ comes back do we look at Davis as the #2?

The best thing about the first time I noticed him was when Yankee said at the Colts game something along the lines of 'come on Davis nows the time to start catching something' moments later came the long completion to the one yard line, and he hasn't really looked back since.

I think that Kubiak likes Walter because of how good he is in the running game. Even Andre Davis has admitted that blocking isn't his strong suit and he needs to work on it.

With that said, it's going to be hard to keep him off the field with the way he's been playing.

Double Barrel
10-04-2007, 05:17 PM
KW is a possession WR, too. I think they should platoon the #2 spot between them, and even throw some 3 WR sets out there from time to time to give Schaub as many targets as possible.

Specnatz
10-04-2007, 05:25 PM
KW is a possession WR, too. I think they should platoon the #2 spot between them, and even throw some 3 WR sets out there from time to time to give Schaub as many targets as possible.

Once everyone is healthy they could even use some 4 WR sets as well.

Porky
10-04-2007, 05:28 PM
It's all well and good that Walter blocks well in the run game, but I think a receiver's primary role is to make plays in the passing game.

Walter has had 20 games with the Texans and has exactly ZERO big plays.

Davis has all of 2 games as a Texan and has 2 big plays.

Give me the playmaker over the good run blocker every time.

To me, Walter should come in on 3rd downs here and there as a potential chain mover. Davis should be starting with Johnson, with Jacoby as the #3 and pushing Davis. What do all 3 have in common? They are all playmakers, and that's what I want out of my WR's if at all possible. Walter would be my #4, and Mathis as the #5 guy that is mainly a return man.

Double Barrel
10-04-2007, 05:28 PM

Man, I'd love to see a run & shoot set designed with a no huddle to take advantage of defenses. It takes a team that is well oiled to pull it off, but it can definitely give us an edge. Especially if we can establish a running game so the defense never knows what will come at them at any given time.

dalemurphy
10-04-2007, 05:41 PM
It's all well and good that Walter blocks well in the run game, but I think a receiver's primary role is to make plays in the passing game.

To me, Walter should come in on 3rd downs here and there as a potential chain mover. Davis should be starting with Johnson, with Jacoby as the #3 and pushing Davis. What do all 3 have in common? They are all playmakers, and that's what I want out of my WR's if at all possible. Walter would be my #4, and Mathis as the #5 guy that is mainly a return man.

You're looking at too small of a sample size. After all, you can't really count Kevin's first 16 games. Otherwise, that methodology would force you to conclude that AJ is simply a posession receiver.

I like ADavis as well and I think he'll see more playing time- he'll certainly be active more often. My guess is when AJ and JJ get back, we'll have games when we only suit TEs and have all 5 WRs active.

Rex King
10-04-2007, 05:53 PM
But I love a possession receiver who can make a 35-yard catch. I thought Walter going to catch up to it, LOL.

Specnatz
10-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Man, I'd love to see a run & shoot set designed with a no huddle to take advantage of defenses. It takes a team that is well oiled to pull it off, but it can definitely give us an edge. Especially if we can establish a running game so the defense never knows what will come at them at any given time.

Sorta like what the Colts use sometimes and what the Bills used in the 90's, versus what the Oilers used.

powerfuldragon
10-05-2007, 10:53 AM
hell, why not run 5?

badboy
10-05-2007, 10:58 AM
There you go. Used occasionally like an end around it could achieve big yardage.

Seņor Stan
10-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Sorta like what the Colts use sometimes and what the Bills used in the 90's, versus what the Oilers used.

The Bills K-Gun.

I don't see why teams don't use this more often. Keeps the defense from getting in their situational subs.

threetoedpete
10-05-2007, 12:23 PM
hell, why not run 5?

Because running five forces the deffense to choose one of two options...drop eight or seven deep and come up and pummel the WRs as they catch it. Or...bring five and six at the snap of the ball and expose the QB to as much damage as possible to make the the blitz worth the risk. Neither of those two thingys is worth it IMHO. In the case of our WRs they are all ready beat up enough courtesy of our OC. And in the case of our QB, we just got the guy. Can we wait untill we actually have a shot at a legitamte SB run befor we have to start searching for a new guy ?

painekiller
10-06-2007, 01:16 AM
All I know, the practices I went to this training camp Davis kept making play after play, and most of those plays where over the top, deep routes. He and Jacoby where the ones that made me know we finally had depth at WR.

Htownsportsfan
10-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Davis had a history in Cleveland of being nicked up all the time which kept him off the field. He has great talent he could just never stay healthy. Sound familiar

bigbrewster2000
10-06-2007, 01:12 PM

What about the 35 yarder down the sideline...:hides:

ObsiWan
10-06-2007, 05:22 PM

I'm with you 100%. .

Hell, before we lost Mathis we could have put a 4x40 track team out there. Maybe H. Williams has good speed too.

We need Green back to make it work though. Dayne isn't anyone who I'd want as the dump-off RB or the guy to pick up any free pass rushers

GuerillaBlack
10-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Davis had a history in Cleveland of being nicked up all the time which kept him off the field. He has great talent he could just never stay healthy. Sound familiar

I actually can't think right now. Who is it similar to?

Maddict5
10-07-2007, 05:27 AM
Jerome

CloakNNNdagger
10-07-2007, 08:09 AM
Because running five forces the deffense to choose one of two options...drop eight or seven deep and come up and pummel the WRs as they catch it. Or...bring five and six at the snap of the ball and expose the QB to as much damage as possible to make the the blitz worth the risk. Neither of those two thingys is worth it IMHO. In the case of our WRs they are all ready beat up enough courtesy of our OC. And in the case of our QB, we just got the guy. Can we wait untill we actually have a shot at a legitamte SB run befor we have to start searching for a new guy ?

Good take,

The reason the run and shoot has ultimately died in the NFL is because it requires that there essentially are no tight ends and sometimes one or even no running backs left to block. One good blitzer is usually all that's needed to destroy the game plan........or worse yet, the QB.......and only when the team is working as a well oiled machine prepped by repetition after repetition in practice and on Sundays.............and that's certainly not going to be the case if it is only used in occasional "surprise" situations in a game.

ObsiWan
10-07-2007, 09:46 AM
While the run & shoot in its classic form is "dead" lots of teams run a variation.

The Colts do it all the time when the run 3WRs and a TE. It helps to have a QB like Manning who's seen every blitz known to man. And it even helps their running game. When you spread defenders out wide, it gives a RB like Addai a chance to pick his way through them and pick up decent yards.

The empty backfield formation that GB uses is a variation on the R&S theme. Again, they have a QB in Favre that will recognize a blitz and beat it with an audible.

We ran empty backfield last season with Carr at the controls. So you can't tell me we couldn't make it work with Schaub pulling the trigger. I'm not saying it should be our bread & butter, but we shouldn't wait until we're behind to use it - when the defense is looking for it.

CloakNNNdagger
10-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Our offense as it stands now is far from a well oiled machine. We would do well to concentrate on excuting the traditional plays available to us. Remember, with the run and shoot, there are no real routes for the WR's and the WR's and QB are in constant "read" mode. That's why it's so high risk for interceptions if all is not "well oiled"........for that matter, even if it is "well oiled." If we can't beat a weak down and out team like the Fins by just playing as well as we can with the offense we have been dealt, I doubt that we affect a win using "trickery."

ObsiWan
10-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Our offense as it stands now is far from a well oiled machine. We would do well to concentrate on excuting the traditional plays available to us. Remember, with the run and shoot, there are no real routes for the WR's and the WR's and QB are in constant "read" mode. That's why it's so high risk for interceptions if all is not "well oiled"........for that matter, even if it is "well oiled." If we can't beat a weak down and out team like the Fins by just playing as well as we can with the offense we have been dealt, I doubt that we affect a win using "trickery."

on the other hand, who better to practice your new stuff against but a "weak, down-and-out team"?