PDA

View Full Version : Official Austin Watch Party for Texans vs. Fins , please sticky!

BigWig
10-03-2007, 09:05 PM
Here is your weekly reminder as usual to get on down to 3rd base and join in the loud, rowdy, wild party group know as the Austin-Houston Texans Fan Club!
This week we have the fins and we really need a win! We gotta just shake off those dirty bird blues and show all the doubters what we can do!
Anyway I know some of y'all will be at the game and you'll surely be missed.
So remember to wear your Texans gear and come on down to www.3rdbaseaustin.com an root with the only Texans fan club in the ATX and dont forget to keep supporting our other cause at www.keye42sucks.com
Big Wig, OUT!

Roll Call starts now!
Big Wig
Nitro +2
Fat Tabby Mama
Rockabilly +1
Axman40
Specnatz
Mr White- maybe?
Nitro

NitroGSXR
10-03-2007, 09:27 PM
NitroHonda +2

FatTabbyMama
10-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Me!

rockabilly
10-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Me + 1

stevn8r
10-04-2007, 12:17 AM
Had a good time last week (other than losing) I will be at the game...Considering Face paint now!

Have fun y'all:fans:

axman40
10-04-2007, 06:47 AM
I will be there .
:texflag:

Kaiser Toro
10-04-2007, 08:12 AM
Out, I will be at the game. I suggest someone bring some mullett and throw it at any unruly Fish fans should they invade our space. :texflag:

Spec/Khari, do you have any Squish the Fish smilies in your Virtual Trapper Keeper?

dalemurphy
10-04-2007, 08:20 AM
Out, I will be at the game. I suggest someone bring some mullett and throw it at any unruly Fish fans should they invade our space. :texflag:

Spec/Khari, do you have any Squish the Fish smilies in your Virtual Trapper Keeper?

Kaiser, Are you going to be tailgating?... Barrett and I will be there. I think we'll be in the orange lot.

BigWig
10-04-2007, 08:39 AM
Roll call is looking kinda weak, we need the numbers up by noon today for Rickyb.
I have over 70 on my email list I know we can do better than this, I hope some of you arent gonna be a wienerhead and stay at home watching the game on PinkEYE!

Kaiser Toro
10-04-2007, 08:50 AM
Kaiser, Are you going to be tailgating?... Barrett and I will be there. I think we'll be in the orange lot.

I will be in the Yellow lot, which is on opposite sides. Let's tie off sooner next time you know you are going.

dalemurphy
10-04-2007, 09:03 AM
I will be in the Yellow lot, which is on opposite sides. Let's tie off sooner next time you know you are going.

My season tickets are in the yellow lot but I sold them this week and am going with Barrett as his guest. So, we definitely need to get together if you go to the Titan game.

Specnatz
10-04-2007, 10:53 AM
You know I will be there. Oh by the way our favorite waitress Laura will not be there this Sunday she will be in Cancun. She did leave suggestions with Bill as far as replacement. Do not ask, because I do not remember names.

Was going to go to the game but of course as per my luck something came up that I had to spend money on.

BigWig
10-04-2007, 10:58 AM
You know I will be there. Oh by the way our favorite waitress Laura will not be there this Sunday she will be in Cancoon. She did leave suggestions with Bill as far as replacement. Do not ask, because I do not remember names.

Was going to go to the game but of course as per my luck something came up that I had to spend money on.

Cool, I need someone to pick on!
FYI its Cancun, you pulled a pc issue here!

Mr. White
10-04-2007, 11:29 AM
I'll be in Houston this Saturday looking for a place to live. I might be back this Sunday. Put me down as a "maybe" for now.

Specnatz
10-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Cool, I need someone to pick on!
FYI its Cancun, you pulled a pc issue here!

Nah it is just not knowing how to freakin spell and trying to type crap fast in between plotting a diagram.

ensign_lee
10-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Can't. Will be at Reliant. :texflag:

NitroGSXR
10-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Roll call is looking kinda weak, we need the numbers up by noon today for Rickyb.
I have over 70 on my email list I know we can do better than this, I hope some of you arent gonna be a wienerhead and stay at home watching the game on PinkEYE!

Are you really all that surprised? I'm not. I expected this. Attendance has been weak for the last couple of weeks and just continues to get smaller every week.

Either way, I'm still going. I like you guys.

dalemurphy
10-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Are you really all that surprised? I'm not. I expected this. Attendance has been weak for the last couple of weeks and just continues to get smaller every week.

Either way, I'm still going. I like you guys.

I thought last week's turnout was pretty good. Remember, you're comparing these turnouts to the first two- which weren't shown on KEYE. I think it's going well and the turnouts will be better on away games and particularly when the games aren't televised.

NitroGSXR
10-04-2007, 04:09 PM
I thought last week's turnout was pretty good. Remember, you're comparing these turnouts to the first two- which weren't shown on KEYE. I think it's going well and the turnouts will be better on away games and particularly when the games aren't televised.

Last week's turnout was dismissal when you consider that it was an away game and we had our season ticket holders in tow. We had Cowgirl fans in our section! I'm expecting Sunday to be the worst week thus far in terms of attendance.

H-Town Balla#90
10-04-2007, 11:08 PM
unfortunately it looks like i'm going to have to sit this one out....again

as of right now it looks like I will need to be on daughter duty, we get rowdy and root for the Texans here at home too, but she's only 1.5 years old...little too young for just her and me to be at 3rd base just yet. i'll see what I can do, maybe be able to swing it, but for right now, if I have to call it, I won't be there.

on the upside I'be got some people from work interested in coming out with us hopefully in the next few weeks! you guys raise some hell!!!:fans:

BullpenDrew
10-05-2007, 01:42 PM
I will be at the game!

rickyb
10-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Dammit, I cannot make it again -- my wife is sick, so I am responsible for caring for both our child and my wife.

Sorry guys (and gals). I really look forward to getting back out to Third Base.

:fans:

hookinreds
10-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Count me in + a Bronco fan

barrett
10-07-2007, 02:36 AM
Hang in there guys! I know the numbers are down but keep in mind we've lost 2 in a row and even more over the past 5 years. It's going to take some time to build up the faith in those filled with doubt. It's apparent who the core group is and as long as we continue to show up we'll have our home. The wagoners will grow. It's inevitable. Keep the faith. Go Texans.

p.s. Kaiser, you and dull murphy and i will have to cross paths one sunday. If i have to hike it over to your lot one of these days I'll do it. I'm that dedicated!

barrett
10-07-2007, 02:37 AM
p.s. it's 1:30 in the morning and i'm leaving for Houston in four hours.... who's with me?

Kaiser Toro
10-07-2007, 02:44 AM
I can't sleep. Fell asleep at 9:30 pm and woke up one hour ago. I am oscillating between Terminator 2, Hustle & Flow, Car Wash and the board. Leaving for Houston at 7:00 am.

axman40
10-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Hey gang sorry to say I will not be there due to illness but on the bright side I will not infect anyone else.

BigWig
10-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Hey gang sorry to say I will not be there due to illness but on the bright side I will not infect anyone else.

Get well, youll be missed.

Mr. White
10-07-2007, 11:32 AM
My "maybe" just turned into a "definitely." See you guys there.

BigWig
10-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

H-Town Balla#90
10-07-2007, 04:58 PM
i hate VY sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much....the horns too, only b/c i live here in austin........

dude last week it was JOEY F*_ING HARRINGTON, this week it (somebody) Lemond? WTF is wrong w/ our "D" we should have D**K Smacked Miami!!!! Forget about on any given sunday or whatever.....miami sux and we should have demolished them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am glad that we won,....and that was the absolute LEAST we should expect from the Texans against teams like the Dolphins........so I don't want to hear any "isn't it funny that when we play bad"...blah blah blah Bu**$hit, we are a good team and i expect better even w/ the injuries on Offense against an inferior team like miami........our D gave up wayyyyyyyyyy too much to (somebody) who?? at backup...I didn't see our injury riddled offense give up all those yards and points!!

on the bright side, we won, and Andre davis is a BALLA!!!!!!!!!!

sorry i could not make it this week guys!

ensign_lee
10-07-2007, 07:09 PM
Hope that the turnout ended up allright.

I'll be there for pretty much every away game. :)

Also, this is/was me after the FG. :splits:

NitroGSXR
10-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Hope that the turnout ended up allright.

I'll be there for pretty much every away game. :)

Also, this is/was me after the FG. :splits:

It was small as I had predicted. I definitely won't be attending anymore though. Third Base still refuses to do the closed captioning the right way.

Spec, the GM told me that he did not want to put up a black background because it would be hampering the ability to watch the game. Forget him. I just want one TV like I had last week. Just one. Nah, I'm done trying to work with them week in and week out. I thought that we had finally gotten it resolved last week but...

Besides I got 'shushed' by a member on this board at Third Base for my constant yelling. What the hey? It's football. Whatever. Y'all have fun over there.

H-Town Balla#90
10-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Besides I got 'shushed' by a member on this board at Third Base for my constant yelling. What the hey? It's football. Whatever. Y'all have fun over there.

what......somebody shushed you???? that's pretty san francisco-pink hand_ish if you ask me......lame

hookinreds
10-07-2007, 11:15 PM
It was small as I had predicted. I definitely won't be attending anymore though. Third Base still refuses to do the closed captioning the right way.

Spec, the GM told me that he did not want to put up a black background because it would be hampering the ability to watch the game. Forget him. I just want one TV like I had last week. Just one. Nah, I'm done trying to work with them week in and week out. I thought that we had finally gotten it resolved last week but...

Sorry about all that bud, you've got a great passion for the team, I wish they could get it right, but obviously completely understand. The fact that someone told you to hold it down is rediculous. I'd watch the game where ever it worked best for me too. Heck, just stay rowdy my friend!

rockabilly
10-07-2007, 11:47 PM
sorry i couldn't make it out. i had to take my mom to the hospital last night and didnt really feel like being at a bar.

BigWig
10-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Right now I am thinking as to how I want to comment or evaluate the turnout and the VY fans wanting to take over. I am trying not to blow up or write some profanity laden stuff like Spec threatened. So I think I will reserve it for now.
Low turnout, game was on PinkEYE, lots of vy fans, losing Nitro, just was kinda weak.
Nitro are you sure someone hushed you? Maybe it was something else, or did you drop a harsh word maybe? If so I dont know who, becasue there were only a couple from the boards there.
In regards to barrett talking about when we win the numbers will increase (nice positive spin), I am sorry to say I dont think that will happen, I will enjoy that but why do we have to have bandwaggoners like that, why cant we just show up every week like all the other team watching groups.
If we screw this up again, the bar will not allow us to have the space and run the joint, we are losing ground and need to step it up especially on home games being shown locally!
3rd Base cannot afford to turn clientele away when we are not showing up making ourselves known. I am afraid if we have too many home games like that we will be subjected to two tables and 1 tv.

barrett
10-09-2007, 02:17 AM
i'll be at one of those two tables watching that one TV. i hope you will be as well. i'd be willing to bet that rockabilly will be too. (we were the only two at ringers last year.) if we loose that room then we start over with a few tables and a TV and move up to a few more tables if the turnout improves, and so on and so on. i'm not saying that we're going to take over 3rd Base. That would be wonderful for so many reasons. It's a fancy sports bar. oddly enough I'm going to draw comparisons to the KEYE thing... It's a fancy sports bar, they have alot of overhead. They can't afford to give up a room to 15 people. If two tables turns into three, turns into 5 and so on and we're spending money there... we will draw their attention. but make no mistake, it's the money, nothing more.

I hope you're wrong about how this will go. I know you're probably right. I couldn't begin to understand why the 70+ people on your list don't have any interest in turning out. lack of interest or selfishness is all i can figure. I can't speak for the home games. It's going to be hard. but I can give you my best for the away games! Lets just not loose the comradery, that's the whole point. I have more fun at third base with you guys than I do in sec 636 with the empty seats, some lady talking about her baby and the drive back.

i'm just saying, don't give up bigwig, this is the start of something big. it's not gonna be like the last 5 years. it may take a while, a season or two... a sports bar or two, a table or two, a beer or two. one for you, one for me. i'm buying.

go texans.

BigWig
10-09-2007, 08:31 AM
i'll be at one of those two tables watching that one TV. i hope you will be as well. i'd be willing to bet that rockabilly will be too. (we were the only two at ringers last year.) if we loose that room then we start over with a few tables and a TV and move up to a few more tables if the turnout improves, and so on and so on. i'm not saying that we're going to take over 3rd Base. That would be wonderful for so many reasons. It's a fancy sports bar. oddly enough I'm going to draw comparisons to the KEYE thing... It's a fancy sports bar, they have alot of overhead. They can't afford to give up a room to 15 people. If two tables turns into three, turns into 5 and so on and we're spending money there... we will draw their attention. but make no mistake, it's the money, nothing more.

I hope you're wrong about how this will go. I know you're probably right. I couldn't begin to understand why the 70+ people on your list don't have any interest in turning out. lack of interest or selfishness is all i can figure. I can't speak for the home games. It's going to be hard. but I can give you my best for the away games! Lets just not loose the comradery, that's the whole point. I have more fun at third base with you guys than I do in sec 636 with the empty seats, some lady talking about her baby and the drive back.

i'm just saying, don't give up bigwig, this is the start of something big. it's not gonna be like the last 5 years. it may take a while, a season or two... a sports bar or two, a table or two, a beer or two. one for you, one for me. i'm buying.

go texans.

Thanks for the rah rah man, it always helps. I still cant believe Spec hasnt posted anything. He was fuming mad enough he matched his battle red jersey, and threatened to post some profanity laden rant. I did talk him out of the harsh words but still cant believe he hasnt posted yet.

BigWig
10-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Oh and the food is awesome there, I havent had a bad dish yet!

NitroGSXR
10-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Oh and the food is awesome there, I havent had a bad dish yet!

That it is. Especially their burgers. I had one on Sunday and it was VERY good. I was pleasantly surprised.

dalemurphy
10-09-2007, 10:54 AM
[QUOTE=barrett;756024] I have more fun at third base with you guys than I do in sec 636 with the empty seats, some lady talking about her baby and the drive back.[QUOTE]

OUCH!

Specnatz
10-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Well I was trying to let myself cool down before I went off on fellow Texans because it is not the best course of action.

The Mgr Bill even joked with me he wished KEYE would stop showing the Texans, for business reasons only. Which I can understand because like BigWig said it is a business and they are in it to make money.

I am selfish as well, because I like having a place I can go watch the game with fellow Texans and get into the game and yell without having to worry about someone not liking how loud I am. I understand not having the 70 people we had when the game was not shown but holy smokes 15? And that is being generous. Yes this is in a way being selfish but I am not sure why people who all said they would be there the first 3 weeks now have just disappeared and are not even saying yes or know. Is it something about 3rd base that people do not like or is it because BigWig smells? We can not fix something if know one talks to BigWig, RickyB or myself. RickyB and BigWig have done a lot of work trying to create a home for us but right now that is pretty much gone.

Like I said I understand that not everyone can make it every single weekend or there maybe issues but damn it we can not do something unless it is known what the issue is. At least care enough about your fellow Texan fans to say why you have not been there or will not be there. If it is because of the cost, I understand but be poliet enough to say something.

PS I @#*&^%$ hate not having the numbers to drown out the @#*&^%$ flaming meatball fans or cryboy fans. (profanity laced tirad)

BigWig
10-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Well I was trying to let myself cool down before I went off on fellow Texans because it is not the best course of action.

The Mgr Bill even joked with me he wished KEYE would stop showing the Texans, for business reasons only. Which I can understand because like BigWig said it is a business and they are in it to make money.

I am selfish as well, because I like having a place I can go watch the game with fellow Texans and get into the game and yell without having to worry about someone not liking how loud I am. I understand not having the 70 people we had when the game was not shown but holy smokes 15? And that is being generous. Yes this is in a way being selfish but I am not sure why people who all said they would be there the first 3 weeks now have just disappeared and are not even saying yes or know. Is it something about 3rd base that people do not like or is it because BigWig smells? We can not fix something if know one talks to BigWig, RickyB or myself. RickyB and BigWig have done a lot of work trying to create a home for us but right now that is pretty much gone.

Like I said I understand that not everyone can make it every single weekend or there maybe issues but damn it we can not do something unless it is known what the issue is. At least care enough about your fellow Texan fans to say why you have not been there or will not be there. If it is because of the cost, I understand but be poliet enough to say something.

PS I @#*&^%$ hate not having the numbers to drown out the @#*&^%$ flaming meatball fans or cryboy fans. (profanity laced tirad)

Touche!
I'll get you for the smells comment! Remember I am the BIG WIG!
Post this on the other board also as some go there for the info.

rockabilly
10-10-2007, 12:05 AM
I think KEYE showing the Texans games has alot to do with it. Some people just get lazy and stay home to watch the game.

I know I get tempted with my 50" HD...but I go for the high fives and people who actually know why i'm going so crazy over a football game.

I brought my girlfriend for the first time 2 weeks ago, and she keeps talking about going back....she loved the fun we were all having. This is coming from a girl that is a new Texan.

We will be there...even if its just with Barrett. I did it last year....

Specnatz
10-10-2007, 12:34 AM
I understand your issues with other Austin fans. In SA, we haven't really had any watch parties because we have the games at home and spend our lone day off....at home. That was kind of the point, wasn't it? Being able to stay home? Yeah, high fives and loud noise are cool, but so is waking at 10:30, wandering downstairs at 11 and then watching the game....in jammies when the grandchild is tearing up the joint. This season is working out GREAT for me here in San Antonio. I must thank Joe Reinagle and KENS for the support, bought with sugar. I know you guys are fighting the VY angle and I feel for you. At the same time, I'm really enjoying my Sunday....non-trek, no cost-----approach to football. :)

Yes origianly the point was having the game on TV so we could watch it. Now I want to be able to record the game and rewatch it and plus enjoy being with those who have similar interest.

I just want to be able to enjoy the game when ever it is on.

NitroGSXR
10-10-2007, 12:55 AM
Y'all need to keep going. Keep the showings strong. But this leaves us with a dilemma now. Now that K-EYE is siding with us at this current juncture, we probably should leave our TVs on and tuned to the game before leaving for your local bars so they can get their rating numbers and KEEP the Texans on over the Titans during the season.

When I find my hangout in Austin, I'll be leaving mine on and tuned to K-EYE until and if they take us away in favor of the Titans, I will then issue a lifelong ban and have the channel completely removed from my TV by programming my remote to do so

For this week, K-EYE SU... *ahem*... is okay in my book. I'll give them my support.

Specnatz
10-10-2007, 01:02 AM
Y'all need to keep going. Keep the showings strong. But this leaves us with a dilemma now. Now that K-EYE is siding with us at this current juncture, we probably should leave our TVs on and tuned to the game before leaving for your local bars so they can get their rating numbers and KEEP the Texans on over the Titans during the season.

When I find my hangout in Austin, I'll be leaving mine on and tuned to K-EYE until and if they take us away in favor of the Titans, I will then issue a lifelong ban and have the channel completely removed from my TV by programming my remote to do so

For this week, K-EYE SU... *ahem*... is okay in my book. I'll give them my support.

I ask that you give 3rd base one more chance. I will do what ever it takes to have the CC on how ever you like it. Believe me when I say i can understand your issue and that I want you to be happy and I want for them to have the CC so as you can see the words. I was not happy how things turned out for you, I think Bill tried and was just not able to do you justice. I will send you my cell number so I can talk to him early next week and you can call and ask me if i was able to do you justice.

I enjoy your enthusiasm there and your passion for the team. If I can help then I will.

dalemurphy
10-10-2007, 01:18 AM
I ask that you give 3rd base one more chance. I will do what ever it takes to have the CC on how ever you like it. Believe me when I say i can understand your issue and that I want you to be happy and I want for them to have the CC so as you can see the words. I was not happy how things turned out for you, I think Bill tried and was just not able to do you justice. I will send you my cell number so I can talk to him early next week and you can call and ask me if i was able to do you justice.

I enjoy your enthusiasm there and your passion for the team. If I can help then I will.

As the large crowd for the game this week gathers, we will all demand closed captioning that works for NitroHonda. We need you there! If I see you, I'll be on the management by 11:30 to get it done!

BigWig
10-10-2007, 08:48 AM
I think KEYE showing the Texans games has alot to do with it. Some people just get lazy and stay home to watch the game.

I know I get tempted with my 50" HD...but I go for the high fives and people who actually know why i'm going so crazy over a football game.

I brought my girlfriend for the first time 2 weeks ago, and she keeps talking about going back....she loved the fun we were all having. This is coming from a girl that is a new Texan.

We will be there...even if its just with Barrett. I did it last year....

I am the same, I have a 56" HDTV and get the NFL Ticket and record all the games on dvr, but I still manage to juggle church, family and whatever else to get there and be with fellow fans. I made the drive every week for 5 years to the games too and still came to the away partys. How are we ever gonna get a loyal group if we dont keep showing up in numbers. Heck the Steelers, Saints, Titans, Pack and others have more fans at watch parties than we do and we support a Texas team people.
I understand sometimes things come up, but my email list is over 60 people and when 15 show its bad, and I have been down this road before and after all we do to get a place, fill the place and remind everybody every week I still cant push on by myself. That is why I retired last year, I was gonna be lazy and stay at home. But some of you here urged me to keep up the fight, keep up the good work and now this is how it is! I want to be with other fans, it is so much better than at home so if we loose this place I will come up with plan B but it just might be the select few who show and that fine with me.
Bring it on y'all lets rock the joint, get your selves in now, dont be a bandwaggoner!

BigWig
10-10-2007, 08:49 AM

see rant above, lest give it a couple more tries, at least the food is awesome!

hookinreds
10-10-2007, 08:51 AM
I will not be there this week, I have a fishing tournament to participate in. I'll hve my DVR set if KEYE is showing the game so they get their stat, and I can still watch the game.

BigWig
10-10-2007, 09:00 AM
I will not be there this week, I have a fishing tournament to participate in. I'll hve my DVR set if KEYE is showing the game so they get their stat, and I can still watch the game.

Thanks man, you will be missed, except that Bronco buddy of yours!:texflag:

hookinreds
10-10-2007, 09:47 AM
How are we ever gonna get a loyal group if we dont keep showing up in numbers. Heck the Steelers, Saints, Titans, Pack and others have more fans at watch parties than we do and we support a Texas team people.

Keep in mind that those teams don't have a local feed, and if these people are also originally from those states/cities, they're "bond" might be a little stronger becuase of the distance removed from those locations. Heck, I consider Houston to be in my back yard, and my usually destinations are 150-200 miles away from here.

I'm not switching to a dish, so when games aren't on locally, I'm screwed. My buddy is a Broco fan, so he's not getting any local games save a couple that are the national feed so we team up to go watch the games.

I also understand watching the game at the house, and to be honest, it's been fun trying to get everything done all week from both my son's fall baseball practices twice a week, keeping up the yard, and anything else that comes along. As Elle stated, it's nice to be able to get that brisket on at Midnight Saturday and then rolling on into Sunday morning having family and friends come over and hang out for a long day of football.

The purpose of getting the game on KEYE in my eyes was so that we could enjoy the game when ever and however we choose. If we choose to get rowdy at a sportsbar becuase we want to cut loose with other Texans fans awesome...if we're camped at the casa with buddies/family/neighbors that is equally as poetic.

Have fun where ever you are.

hookinreds
10-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Thanks man, you will be missed, except that Bronco buddy of yours!:texflag:

They have a bye week anyway, so it kinda works out in the wash.

NitroGSXR
10-10-2007, 07:03 PM

Spec,
The manager at Third Base was CLEAR on this. He does not want a black background behind the words because he feels that it will block out our view of the game.

*sigh*

I don't agree with that but I'm certainly in the minority here. Me and my family would be the only ones that need it. The rest of you guys don't. I don't think the captioning blocks anything out. Now, the way that he has it set up doesn't help me one bit. Now, I thought that we had reached an amicable and reasonable compromise when he set up just ONE TV for me that had the black background on it. It was the Atlanta game for those of you who may not remember. The closed captioning was turned off for all the TVs but was set up on that one. Of course, I'd rather have them all turned on so I can watch whatever TV I want to look at. Besides, when it gets loud, don't you want the captioning for yourselves? HAHA! Seriously though!

Either way, the GM may SOUND like he's willing to work with me but he's not. Turning on the captions the way he has doesn't help me one bit. I can't read it. BE HONEST! Could any of you guys read the captioning? I sure couldn't. It's the only way that he's willing to do it. Now, there would have to be a majority vote out of you guys to see what you guys would be willing to do but I'm not going to ask that of you guys. All I want is just want one TV and I don't think that's unreasonable. And he took that TV away for the Dolphins game which I will never understand for the life of me. I'm a paying customer and have spent 20-50 bucks every week (with the exception of one week which I only spent seven because it was all I had).

I'll tell you this much, I go to bars ALL the time. I'm 31 years old and a fraternity brother. That means I've done my share of heavy drinking. I also worked at the clubs in Houston for 12 years. I've never had a problem with them turning on the closed captioning until now. And it's a week in week out struggle at Third Base. What Third Base is pulling is a crock. They're a good bar. Very clean. Great waitresses. Decent TVs. Great crowd. Management I'll just say eh.

I was pretty upset last Sunday. I left at halftime because there was no closed captioning and I got shushed which was a misunderstanding in the end (me and that person have resolved the issue). I didn't know what was going on and the guy who shushed me thought I was spewing hate/applauding Green's injury when in fact that's not what was going on. I started yelling when I saw that they had the ball on our 29 yard line instead of the 48 or 49 which is where Ginn was tackled. I did NOT know that Travis Johnson was flagged. I was screaming that GREEN should have gotten flagged and WHAT IN THE WORLD WAS GOING ON??????? Hookinreds and his Bronco buddy straightened me out and told me that Johnson was flagged for taunting. Closed captioning would have helped a little bit there. Saved me from a little bit of embarrassment and maybe a little bit on the person who shushed me.

It was a great game and turned out to be an epic game with Kris Brown giving the Dolphins the boot. I sat on my couch knowing that you guys were hopping all over the place. I was miserable knowing that was going on. I could have just stayed but consider this... I would have been oblivious that Kris Brown was kicking a 57 yard field goal which would be a career high for him. I would have been thinking. Okay, he won the game. Just clockwork for him. It's just a field goal. NOOOOOOOO IT WAS A CAREER FIELD GOAL! Yeah, I need closed captioning. I hate not knowing what I'm cheering for and why I'm cheering. I need closed captioning.

I SO want to be with you guys. In fact, I've got my war paint ready to go and I'll be plastering BATTLE RED and STEEL BLUE all over my face this coming Sunday. Unfortunately, it's not going to be at Third Base. Last night, I went over to this sports bar/pool hall on Lamar near Rundberg and they have NFL Sunday Ticket. I didn't even have to ask them to turn the closed captioning on on their TVs. It was already on and they said that they ALWAYS leave half of their TVs captioned and the other half not. Funny part here? They do it for themselves because they can't hear the TV half of the time. I was probably the first Deaf person who walked into that bar based on their reaction on how to 'deal' with me so I'll be taking my warpaint and loudmouth over there. At least I won't have to worry about the closed captioning.

Question for you Specnatz... what did you hope for me to accomplish by you giving me your cellular number? What did you say that I was supposed to do with it? Call you?:specnatz:

hookinreds
10-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Spec,
The manager at Third Base was CLEAR on this. He does not want a black background behind the words because he feels that it will block out our view of the game.

*sigh*

I don't agree with that but I'm certainly in the minority here. Me and my family would be the only ones that need it. The rest of you guys don't. I don't think the captioning blocks anything out. Now, the way that he has it set up doesn't help me one bit. Now, I thought that we had reached an amicable and reasonable compromise when he set up just ONE TV for me that had the black background on it. It was the Atlanta game for those of you who may not remember. The closed captioning was turned off for all the TVs but was set up on that one. Of course, I'd rather have them all turned on so I can watch whatever TV I want to look at. Besides, when it gets loud, don't you want the captioning for yourselves? HAHA! Seriously though!

Either way, the GM may SOUND like he's willing to work with me but he's not. Turning on the captions the way he has doesn't help me one bit. I can't read it. BE HONEST! Could any of you guys read the captioning? I sure couldn't. It's the only way that he's willing to do it. Now, there would have to be a majority vote out of you guys to see what you guys would be willing to do but I'm not going to ask that of you guys. All I want is just want one TV and I don't think that's unreasonable. And he took that TV away for the Dolphins game which I will never understand for the life of me. I'm a paying customer and have spent 20-50 bucks every week (with the exception of one week which I only spent seven because it was all I had).

I'll tell you this much, I go to bars ALL the time. I'm 31 years old and a fraternity brother. That means I've done my share of heavy drinking. I also worked at the clubs in Houston for 12 years. I've never had a problem with them turning on the closed captioning until now. And it's a week in week out thing. What Third Base is pulling is a crock. They're a good bar. Very clean. Great waitresses. Decent TVs. Great crowd. Management I'll just say eh.

I was pretty upset last Sunday. I left at halftime because there was no closed captioning and I got shushed which was a misunderstanding in the end (me and that person have resolved the issue). I didn't know what was going on and the guy who shushed me thought I was spewing hate/applauding Green's injury when in fact that's not what was going on. I started yelling when I saw that they had the ball on our 29 yard line instead of the 48 or 49 which is where Ginn was tackled. I did NOT know that Travis Johnson was flagged. I was screaming that GREEN should have gotten flagged and WHAT IN THE WORLD WAS GOING ON??????? Hookinreds and his Bronco buddy straightened me out and told me that Johnson was flagged for taunting. Closed captioning would have helped a little bit there. Saved me from a little bit of embarrassment and maybe a little bit on the person who shushed me.

It was a great game and turned out to be an epic game with Kris Brown giving the Dolphins the boot. I sat on my couch knowing that you guys were hopping all over the place. I was miserable knowing that was going on. I could have just stayed but consider this... I would have been oblivious that Kris Brown was kicking a 57 yard field goal which would be a career high for him. I would have been thinking. Okay, he won the game. Just clockwork for him. It's just a field goal. NOOOOOOOO IT WAS A CAREER FIELD GOAL! Yeah, I need closed captioning. I hate not knowing what I'm cheering for and why I'm cheering. I need closed captioning.

I SO want to be with you guys. In fact, I've got my war paint ready to go and I'll be plastering BATTLE RED and STEEL BLUE all over my face this coming Sunday. Unfortunately, it's not going to be at Third Base. Last night, I went over to this sports bar/pool hall on Lamar near Rundberg and they have NFL Sunday Ticket. I didn't even have to ask them to turn the closed captioning on on their TVs. It was already on and they said that they ALWAYS leave half of their TVs captioned and the other half not. Funny part here? They do it for themselves because they can't hear the TV half of the time. I was probably the first Deaf person who walked into that bar based on their reaction on how to 'deal' with me so I'll be taking my warpaint and loudmouth over there. At least I won't have to worry about the closed captioning.

Question for you Specnatz... what did you hope for me to accomplish by you giving me your cellular number? What did you say that I was supposed to do with it? Call you?:specnatz:

Good for you Nitro, do what's best for you and enjoy it.

I was thinking about that Atlanta game. I'm wondering if he was able to put that one TV on with captioning becuase they picked up the local feed on that game and not the NFL ticket. It would make since if that was the case, becuase each group of TVs recieve one signal and if you change the format of that one box, it distributes it to every TV on that one box. If that one TV was pulling a local feed, he could change the settings for that TV and not the main box.

They have been cranking the speakers so that everyone can hear the broadcast above the crowd noise (obviously not helping you any) and that maybe their general practice. I ppersonally don't see an issue with running the black box with the captioning, I'm used to seeing that in a bar if you are trying to follow along and there is no ability to produce the necessary volume to go over the crowd noise or if music is being played.

I agree, what was on there was worthless, if not annoying. I wish I had a better alternative for you at 3rd base, but it sounds like you have taken care of it yourself. Hell, you might run across some other rowdies at your new location. Give 'em hell!

PS...So much for me stealing signs. I was actually learning from you and your family and you didn't know it.

NitroGSXR
10-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Good for you Nitro, do what's best for you and enjoy it.

I was thinking about that Atlanta game. I'm wondering if he was able to put that one TV on with captioning becuase they picked up the local feed on that game and not the NFL ticket. It would make since if that was the case, becuase each group of TVs recieve one signal and if you change the format of that one box, it distributes it to every TV on that one box. If that one TV was pulling a local feed, he could change the settings for that TV and not the main box.

They have been cranking the speakers so that everyone can hear the broadcast above the crowd noise (obviously not helping you any) and that maybe their general practice. I ppersonally don't see an issue with running the black box with the captioning, I'm used to seeing that in a bar if you are trying to follow along and there is no ability to produce the necessary volume to go over the crowd noise or if music is being played.

I agree, what was on there was worthless, if not annoying. I wish I had a better alternative for you at 3rd base, but it sounds like you have taken care of it yourself. Hell, you might run across some other rowdies at your new location. Give 'em hell!

PS...So much for me stealing signs. I was actually learning from you and your family and you didn't know it.

The Atlanta game was on K-EYE and that's how he was able to do it. The stinker about this is that the Miami game was also on K-EYE.

"The black background blocks out the game so I do not want to do it like that again."

*pshaw*

I'll take my money elsewhere. Thank you.

Learning from us? How so?

hookinreds
10-10-2007, 07:29 PM
The Atlanta game was on K-EYE and that's how he was able to do it. The stinker about this is that the Miami game was also on K-EYE.

"The black background blocks out the game so I do not want to do it like that again."

*pshaw*

I'll take my money elsewhere. Thank you.

Learning from us? How so?

Right, the Miami game was on KEYE so I wasn't sure why they couldn't set it up the same as ATL.

Learning signs, you and your son were signing and talking at the same time so I was able to figure out some signs.

Specnatz
10-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Spec,

*sigh*

I'll tell you this much, I go to bars ALL the time. I'm 31 years old and a fraternity brother. That means I've done my share of heavy drinking. I also worked at the clubs in Houston for 12 years. I've never had a problem with them turning on the closed captioning until now. And it's a week in week out struggle at Third Base. What Third Base is pulling is a crock. They're a good bar. Very clean. Great waitresses. Decent TVs. Great crowd. Management I'll just say eh.

Called a brain fart and I have them all the time. You do not have one of those machines that enable you to call people and for them to talk to you?

Besides my point was to try and do something nice and try and get it workedout for you so you have a place to hang with fellow Texans and enjoy the game.

Sorry.

NitroGSXR
10-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Called a brain fart and I have them all the time. Besides my point was to try and do something nice and try and get it workedout for you so you have a place to hang with fellow Texans and enjoy the game.

Sorry.

I was joking.:shades:

Specnatz
10-10-2007, 07:46 PM
I was joking.:shades:

You do not understand how bad I feel that stuff is not working out for you. Hell it is not working for any of us right now.

DiehardChris
10-10-2007, 08:06 PM
I feel like I need to chime in because I was at the first two games, but missed the last three. I had to move mountains to be able to come to the Carolina game at 3rd Base, and oh my GOD that was a lot of fun. I still can't get over how incredibly loud it was!

I have legit reasons for not making it the last three weeks, the most maddening (and only one worth sharing) is that last weekend I got dragged to the freaking Rennaisance Festival in Plantersville, LOL. I had no choice. Friends of ours from Virginia came all the way down to TX for that one, so I couldn't very well use a football game as a reason to not see them for the first time in a couple of years. What do you guys think was going through my mind when noon struck on Sunday and I was surrounded by a bunch of Renn Faire nerds talking in horrible accents. It was complete and total misery. Luckily I DVR'd the game and watched it late Sunday night.

This weekend I have to go to my parents' house in Corpus Christi.

Right now the Tennessee/Houston game looks really good for me. I have a lot of stuff I have to juggle, but it's important to me to spend time with fellow Texan fans and get loud and rowdy.

Plus um... if Titan fans are trying to take over, you can bet the atmosphere for the Ten/Hou game at 3rd Base is going to be nice and intense.

By the way, I'd like to dub that game the KEYE BOWL.

Spec and everyone else - I understand your frustration, and I appreciate your passion for what's going on. I wish more were showing up... and I wish I could be one of those for the last several weeks. But I'm almost certain to be there for the KEYE BOWL.

Keep up the good work, fellas.

BigWig
10-10-2007, 08:11 PM
You do not understand how bad I feel that stuff is not working out for you. Hell it is not working for any of us right now.

I said this to Spec before, I will really will miss Nitro, and now I am posting it for all to see.
You will be missed , please come and visit sometime soon!

NitroGSXR
10-10-2007, 08:29 PM

No reason for you to feel bad. This is all on the Third Base management's refusal to meet me halfway. In his mind, he's done everything he thinks is best in order to meet my needs. He obviously doesn't understand that I need that black background. Yes, we can add it to Sunday Tickets' feed for those of you who may be wondering. The background feature is set to transparent on that system. All he has to do is switch it to black and we're good to go. He does not want to. He's trying to do what he thinks is best for his customers overall and I understand that completely. I just don't think he's very bright. A definite nice guy but a little slow in the noggin, I'd say. We're a pretty large nation and I'm a member of that nation.

Let me be clear on what I'm trying to insituate. Do I want you guys to stop going to Third Base? Absolutely not. Rather, I think that you guys should nudge Third Base into turning on the black background. As I stated before, it really is a great place to go. There is nothing not to like about that place outside of their management. Absolutely nothing not to like. It's what I want out of a bar.

Actually, what I want from you guys right now is to hear your feelings on having the black background on. Remember the Atlanta game? THAT is what I want. Would it be distracting to have it on all the TVs if K-EYE were not to show the Texans that week? Be honest. I can take it like a man. I won't respect you if you're not honest, Austinites.

Besides, it wouldn't be fair to Texan Nation to even think about switching bars midseason. Next year, maybe that should be an option left open and us Austinites can vote on it. I want to be with you guys. No doubt about that.

axman40
10-10-2007, 08:39 PM
I had no problem with the black backgroud for the cc , heck without it cc was unreadable!

Specnatz
10-10-2007, 09:32 PM
I feel like I need to chime in because I was at the first two games, but missed the last three. I had to move mountains to be able to come to the Carolina game at 3rd Base, and oh my GOD that was a lot of fun. I still can't get over how incredibly loud it was!

I have legit reasons for not making it the last three weeks, the most maddening (and only one worth sharing) is that last weekend I got dragged to the freaking Rennaisance Festival in Plantersville, LOL. I had no choice. Friends of ours from Virginia came all the way down to TX for that one, so I couldn't very well use a football game as a reason to not see them for the first time in a couple of years. What do you guys think was going through my mind when noon struck on Sunday and I was surrounded by a bunch of Renn Faire nerds talking in horrible accents. It was complete and total misery. Luckily I DVR'd the game and watched it late Sunday night.

This weekend I have to go to my parents' house in Corpus Christi.

Right now the Tennessee/Houston game looks really good for me. I have a lot of stuff I have to juggle, but it's important to me to spend time with fellow Texan fans and get loud and rowdy.

Plus um... if Titan fans are trying to take over, you can bet the atmosphere for the Ten/Hou game at 3rd Base is going to be nice and intense.

By the way, I'd like to dub that game the KEYE BOWL.

Spec and everyone else - I understand your frustration, and I appreciate your passion for what's going on. I wish more were showing up... and I wish I could be one of those for the last several weeks. But I'm almost certain to be there for the KEYE BOWL.

Keep up the good work, fellas.

Chris I understand, I have been to The Renniasance festival a few times and yes I have even gone with garb on. So that is completely understandable. My comments were not directed at anyone in particular, I know life comes up. Just frustrated is all and like I said I was being selfish.

DiehardChris
10-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Chris I understand, I have been to The Renniasance festival a few times and yes I have even gone with garb on. So that is completely understandable. My comments were not directed at anyone in particular, I know life comes up. Just frustrated is all and like I said I was being selfish.

Spec, I totally get what you're saying. I just didn't want to sit quietly and not chime in, and in doing so - support the ones who ARE there every week raising hell. It's not selfish, it's, like you said - frustration. It's hard to accept the small crowds after what an unbelievable success the Carolina game was.

You know, they tried and tried to get me to rent a costume, but I wouldn't go for it. We did the camp out thing on Saturday night too... gawd that was a clusterbleep.

Specnatz
10-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Spec, I totally get what you're saying. I just didn't want to sit quietly and not chime in, and in doing so - support the ones who ARE there every week raising hell. It's not selfish, it's, like you said - frustration. It's hard to accept the small crowds after what an unbelievable success the Carolina game was.

You know, they tried and tried to get me to rent a costume, but I wouldn't go for it. We did the camp out thing on Saturday night too... gawd that was a clusterbleep.

So true about the turnout at first, then the Indy game was decent but then it went south.

Will not even comment on what I wore.

barrett
10-11-2007, 03:30 PM
black out half the screen for all I care. I'd rather have the tv's in sync more than anything else. i've always been frustrated by CC on sporting events because the text covered up alot of the statistics. further more, half the time the person typing the text can't keep up and they end up typing stuff like :

firsltj and then at tht efouty five"

instead of "first and ten at the fourty five".

but this is the 90's now and we have these giant tv's with all this extra space on them and the picture is "high definition" which half the time means that it's a squashed blurry pile of SH*T because it's been run through some routing matrix at the bar and the picture has degraded emensley anyway.

so i got over the CC thing ages ago. besides, it never covers up enough of the screen that you can't see the play.

it would be no problem to have the CC on a few and not on others.

Sports Bars are eternally poorly run "entertainment venues". that offer a very specific service and seem to have little to no understanding of how that "service" effects the patrons they are trying to bring in.

see examples such as : a sports bar has 400 tv's showing the bears and 2 showing the eagles. at 3:00 they switch the eagles game off to show the vikings clipping the end of the game on the two tv's.

etc.

anyway, point is, CC it up. fix the sync too.

-b

barrett
10-11-2007, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE=barrett;756024] I have more fun at third base with you guys than I do in sec 636 with the empty seats, some lady talking about her baby and the drive back.[QUOTE]

OUCH!

i was refering to the falling asleep from exhaustion, beer and brats.

the road head was wonderful though.

;)

dalemurphy
10-11-2007, 05:02 PM
[QUOTE=dalemurphy;756149][QUOTE=barrett;756024] I have more fun at third base with you guys than I do in sec 636 with the empty seats, some lady talking about her baby and the drive back.

i was refering to the falling asleep from exhaustion, beer and brats.

the road head was wonderful though.

;)

add sore throat, and hangover to that list for the Titans' game!

dalemurphy
10-11-2007, 05:04 PM
black out half the screen for all I care. I'd rather have the tv's in sync more than anything else. i've always been frustrated by CC on sporting events because the text covered up alot of the statistics. further more, half the time the person typing the text can't keep up and they end up typing stuff like :

firsltj and then at tht efouty five"

instead of "first and ten at the fourty five".

but this is the 90's now and we have these giant tv's with all this extra space on them and the picture is "high definition" which half the time means that it's a squashed blurry pile of SH*T because it's been run through some routing matrix at the bar and the picture has degraded emensley anyway.

so i got over the CC thing ages ago. besides, it never covers up enough of the screen that you can't see the play.

it would be no problem to have the CC on a few and not on others.

Sports Bars are eternally poorly run "entertainment venues". that offer a very specific service and seem to have little to no understanding of how that "service" effects the patrons they are trying to bring in.

see examples such as : a sports bar has 400 tv's showing the bears and 2 showing the eagles. at 3:00 they switch the eagles game off to show the vikings clipping the end of the game on the two tv's.

etc.

anyway, point is, CC it up. fix the sync too.

-b

It's all about the detail!

powerfuldragon
10-11-2007, 05:10 PM
I have more fun at third base with you guys than I do in sec 636
that sounds so wrong. :gun:

DiehardChris
10-11-2007, 06:31 PM
but this is the 90's now and we have these giant tv's with all this extra space on them

Yeah, this really shouldn't be a problem... here in the 90's. Go Oilers!

(Sorry... couldn't resist)

rickyb
10-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Everybody remember the old saw, "It's never as good as you thing it is. Or as bad."

15 people one week does not mean 15 the next. Stuff happens.

I am in for the Jags game this weekend. But that is another thread.

Keep the faith.

Nitro -- I am sorry I was not there to negotiate. I'll talk it over with Bill, and up the chain to Michelle if needed. I'll let you know.

Rick