PDA

View Full Version : Okoye NFL Defensive Rookie of the month

Texan_Bill
10-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Just heard 610 announce that he received the honors, but don't have a link just yet.... (thread title should have read NFL Rookie Defensive Player of the Month).

If already posted, mods delete or merge please.

stingray
10-03-2007, 03:06 PM
That's awesome... I thought willis would get it just becasue of the high tackles. Hopefully, Amobi will continue to impress.

badboy
10-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Can someone confirm what I think I just heard on 610 radio? Demeco Ryans named player of month.

Texan_Bill
10-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Let's not get too excited just yet... It wouldn't be the first time Rich Lord mis-spoke. I am still searching for a link.

badboy
10-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Should be good for Okoye's confidence and may boost Mario.

The Pencil Neck
10-03-2007, 03:44 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3718

From the Texan's site.

real
10-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Keep up the good work Mobi !!

rollinstone18
10-03-2007, 03:46 PM
He deserves it. Dunta and Okoye have been impressive every game.

Texan_Bill
10-03-2007, 03:46 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3718

From the Texan's site.

Thanks. I hate posting that kind of stuff without the back-up...

Ole Miss Texan
10-03-2007, 04:15 PM
That's awesome!

He has started off so well it's really been surprising, he's blown me out of the water. 4 sacks and 1 FF, heck yea!

Okoye may very well end up breaking our single season sack record, and thats as a rookie DT!

I'm still thinking Willis wins it when we're all said and done but sure hope Okoye keeps this up... what a stud.

TheRealJoker
10-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Texans DL is already looking nice and they are extremely young as well.

Amobiwan just turned 20 this summer.

Supermario is 22.

Travis Johnson is 25.

The core of this DL is gonna be here for awhile and that is downright scary.

Texans_Chick
10-03-2007, 04:25 PM
The nice thing about Okoye's play is how he is exceeding expectations.

Early in camp there were reports that they worried about him against the run. And between what I've seen and what the coaches say, they've been pleasantly surprised with his run stopping.

The middle of the line is pretty good against the run, and it will be interesting to see if teams go more around the edges, like Atlanta was doing.

It seemed to me that a lot of times when they ran, they ran at the side that Mario was not at.

Before the season, Okoye's goal was to become Defensive Rookie of the Year. This is a hard thing to do for a defensive tackle because generally it is not a place that is easy to get attention grabbing stats. Since they've been doing DROY, only a small percentage have been DTs.

nunusguy
10-03-2007, 04:29 PM
That's great news !
AO has turned out to be a very good-looking choice to this point and
GM Smith & the coaching & scouting staff are to be commended for an
excellent choice with this years first round pick.

Hardcore Texan
10-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Way to go Amobi.....keep up the great work!

:texflag:

Thorn
10-03-2007, 05:11 PM
I'm telling you guys, a couple of years from now when they are experienced and savy, this defensive line will be compared to "The Steel Curtain". :d:

Hopefully by then we'll have some safeties and corners who can actually play. LOL

powerfuldragon
10-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Sweet.

Second Honeymoon
10-03-2007, 05:23 PM
I'm telling you guys, a couple of years from now when they are experienced and savy, this defensive line will be compared to "The Steel Curtain". :d:

Hopefully by then we'll have some safeties and corners who can actually play. LOL

I sure hope so. TJ has really impressed me at times this year. He has shown a lot of heart and seems to want to play now. Mario, on the other hand, seems to be content with trying to bullrush people...I just don't know if he has the fire. He seems to always be on his feet at the end of plays but is that necessarily a good thing? He doesn't seem to want to stick his nose in it sometimes. Weaver is an average DE which is all he has ever been. He isn't a liability but he isn't much of a playmaker either.

I think TJ and Okoye could really be a nice DT tandem but am not sure about Mario and Weaver as our starting DE. Kalu when healthy is a better alternative than either guy at the moment. I think it may be time to start giving some of our DE youth a shot at some playing time too. Maybe it will light a fire under MW and AW to start getting to the QB or ride pine.

I think Mario could become a really good DE but he has got to start earning his keep soon. He is just beat in too many one on one matchups even with TEs blocking him.

Props to Okoye for playing with a motor and with heart. He deserves NFL DROM for sure. 4 sacks in 4 games extrapolates into a 16 sack season. That would be a bonafide legitimate trip to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl. He is going to be a monster.....Mario? me thinks not so much...

eriadoc
10-03-2007, 05:30 PM
I think Mario could become a really good DE but he has got to start earning his keep soon. He is just beat in too many one on one matchups even with TEs blocking him.

FWIW, Gary Kubiak emphatically disagrees with you, re: Mario. You can catch the podcast on sportsradio610.com for this past Monday's Kubiak Show. He said Mario is well on his way to having one heck of a year. When Kubiak is not happy with a player, he doesn't necessarily throw them under the bus in public, but he says things that let you know he's not happy with him (ex: recent comments regarding Mathis). He left little doubt in his comments re: Mario that he thinks Mario is doing his job. Do with that what you will.

real
10-03-2007, 06:06 PM
Kubiak said Mario has played better recently than he ever has as a Texan. Said he's really impressed with him.

I'd have to agree with Kubiak.

BUT, he still isn't all that great a pass rusher...

In that area alone I'd give him a B-

Overall, with how he's playing, I'd give him an A

Second Honeymoon
10-03-2007, 06:07 PM
FWIW, Gary Kubiak emphatically disagrees with you, re: Mario. You can catch the podcast on sportsradio610.com for this past Monday's Kubiak Show. He said Mario is well on his way to having one heck of a year. When Kubiak is not happy with a player, he doesn't necessarily throw them under the bus in public, but he says things that let you know he's not happy with him (ex: recent comments regarding Mathis). He left little doubt in his comments re: Mario that he thinks Mario is doing his job. Do with that what you will.

Whatever Mario it is that Mario is bringing to the table, well I guess I feel we just need more of it. He isn't a liability or anything. He just may not be the best guy on the roster at the moment. It seems when Cochran gets a shot, he finds a way to get past the OL and put some semblance of a pass rush on. I am not hating, just going by what I have seen and I watch MW quite often as its important that he develops into what we thought he would be when we drafted him.

Errant Hothy
10-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Way to go rook!

TexansFaninNC
10-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Well deserved and hopefully the first of many to come

painekiller
10-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Whatever Mario it is that Mario is bringing to the table, well I guess I feel we just need more of it. He isn't a liability or anything. He just may not be the best guy on the roster at the moment. It seems when Cochran gets a shot, he finds a way to get past the OL and put some semblance of a pass rush on. I am not hating, just going by what I have seen and I watch MW quite often as its important that he develops into what we thought he would be when we drafted him.

And I think it is the entire unit working together that is allowing the different player to excel. Kalu has been the vocal leader of the group and his missing the game did have an effect. I think Kalu makes the game fun for the other guys and they start looping and stunting and setting guys up to succeed.

Mario has had a solid year against the run, DE and DT rarely have a ton of tackles, and him and Amobi being near the ball on nearly every play is a sign of their hustle and quickness.

Specnatz
10-03-2007, 08:59 PM
It is nice to see his hard work being noticed around the league.

:texflag: :d:

Runner
10-03-2007, 09:01 PM
Exceeding expectations. That is very good to hear.

mexican_texan
10-03-2007, 10:49 PM
A lot of you labeled him as a bust in the preseason and even through week one. I'd like to see some crow served, it that's not asking too much. Same thing goes for Travis Johnson. He was never given a chance and has never played bad under Kubiak, yet he's a bust.

IlliniJen
10-03-2007, 11:24 PM
They should replace the stadium chant of "Houston Texans" with "Amobi Okoye" for a defensive stand or two.

We've got some young studs on D!

Rex King
10-04-2007, 12:38 AM
A lot of you labeled him as a bust in the preseason and even through week one. I'd like to see some crow served, it that's not asking too much. Same thing goes for Travis Johnson. He was never given a chance and has never played bad under Kubiak, yet he's a bust.

I never called either a bust, but I think the label was a lot more defensible for TJ. Kubiak DID have to get on his case to motivate him. Something he hasn't had to do with Amobi. Looking forward to a lot more awards for the kid.

False Start
10-04-2007, 12:43 AM
Way to go Amobi ! Now Defensive ROY shouldn't be too far behind if he continues at this pace .

Leahmic223
10-04-2007, 01:51 AM
Two consecutive DROYs? It's possible it could happen if Patrick Willis starts to slow down some more since a great LB season always gets the nod over a great DT season.

Hope Amobi adds some more sack numbers this week. He's going to need every one of them if he wants DROY.

mexican_texan
10-04-2007, 02:11 AM
A moderately good linebacking season will get more awards than a great DT season.

threetoedpete
10-04-2007, 02:45 AM
Can someone confirm what I think I just heard on 610 radio? Demeco Ryans named player of month.

YYeah that play vs Steve Smith where he..... Demeeeeeco had him wraped up and the little rascel sliped the halter...that salted it away for him. He was lucky he wasn't benched.

YellerLotYeller
10-04-2007, 02:57 AM
Damn at 20 he looks like a beast already.:d:

Specnatz
10-04-2007, 12:08 PM
YYeah that play vs Steve Smith where he..... Demeeeeeco had him wraped up and the little rascel sliped the halter...that salted it away for him. He was lucky he wasn't benched.

That was not Demeecos fault. It was the guys who came flying in and knocking others off the tackle. They are supposed to help not hinder.

eriadoc
10-04-2007, 12:27 PM

LOL, you're suggesting Demeco should have been benched over that? That is ludicrous. Even if Ryans had just totally botched that tackle and looked like P-Buch or Matt Stevens, he's been such a sure tackler, that would be his mulligan. You can't be serious, right?

thunderkyss
10-04-2007, 12:37 PM

I was re-watching the game yesterday. I saw one play where Amobi busted through the line, and stopped Norwood in the backfield for a loss.

The announcer went crazy, about how impressive Amobi was, about how great he was going to be, and about how much that play was going to help us in the game.

The very next play, Mario did the exact same thing.

The announcer was ho-hum about it.

badboy
10-04-2007, 12:47 PM
I sure hope so. TJ has really impressed me at times this year. He has shown a lot of heart and seems to want to play now. Mario, on the other hand, seems to be content with trying to bullrush people...I just don't know if he has the fire. He seems to always be on his feet at the end of plays but is that necessarily a good thing? He doesn't seem to want to stick his nose in it sometimes. Weaver is an average DE which is all he has ever been. He isn't a liability but he isn't much of a playmaker either.

I think TJ and Okoye could really be a nice DT tandem but am not sure about Mario and Weaver as our starting DE. Kalu when healthy is a better alternative than either guy at the moment. I think it may be time to start giving some of our DE youth a shot at some playing time too. Maybe it will light a fire under MW and AW to start getting to the QB or ride pine.

Props to Okoye for playing with a motor and with heart. He deserves NFL DROM for sure. 4 sacks in 4 games extrapolates into a 16 sack season. That would be a bonafide legitimate trip to Hawaii for the Pro Bowl. He is going to be a monster.....Mario? me thinks not so much...

Smith's secret plan it to move Mario to Weaver's spot and draft a D lineman in 2008 first round.

Danish_bull
10-04-2007, 12:49 PM
he deserves it. Truly. Nice way to go Amobi:)
:texflag:

marks01234
10-04-2007, 12:54 PM
I was re-watching the game yesterday. I saw one play where Amobi busted through the line, and stopped Norwood in the backfield for a loss.

The announcer went crazy, about how impressive Amobi was, about how great he was going to be, and about how much that play was going to help us in the game.

The very next play, Mario did the exact same thing.

The announcer was ho-hum about it.

Mario's always going to have to live with this. To many people will never admit they were wrong.

AnthonyE
10-05-2007, 02:06 AM
Sweet.

Nicely put.

I agree with this.

YellerLotYeller
10-05-2007, 02:13 AM
Nicely put.

I agree with this.

I agree that you agree to this.

Kaiser Toro
10-05-2007, 09:18 AM
so we are all in agreement that he agreed to be in agreement of the agreement. agreement.

sweet.

It appears we have an accord.

NitroGSXR
10-05-2007, 09:23 AM

I concur.

Porky
10-05-2007, 10:37 AM

No, I have a Camry. :devilpig:

powerfuldragon
10-05-2007, 11:41 AM