PDA

View Full Version : Bengals want to kill pigeons, peta gets mad, so they fight the birds with lasers.

powerfuldragon
10-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Story # 1

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070930/ap_on_fe_st/odd_bengals_pigeon_poop;_ylt=AuE0TtLCd8bviIm4JLTY7 NXtiBIF

Brown initially asked the city to allow stadium employees to use an air-powered rifle to kill pigeons roosting in the beams and pipes above the stands, raining down poop onto fans and their food and drinks.Story # 2

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=1314bb50-48bf-4da0-9b47-eeadede6dea5 In a letter submitted Friday afternoon, PETA (http://www.peta.org/), the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, asked Cincinnati Mayor Mark Mallory to deny Paul Brown Stadium's request to shoot pigeons with pellet guns. Calling the act "undeniably cruel," Wildlife Biologist and author of the letter Stephanie Boyles says PETA received many calls from concerned citizens about the issue.Story # 3 (in which they use lasers)

CINCINNATI — The Cincinnati Bengals turned to laser pointers Monday night in another effort to shoo pigeons that have been pooping on fans at Paul Brown Stadium. Employees were to aim hand-held laser pens at the pigeons during the Bengals' game with the New England Patriots. The birds have been roosting in the stadium rafters, and fans at earlier games had complained about the droppings getting into their food and drinks.
The Bengals hope the pigeons will become so irritated by the lasers that they'll fly away from the beams and pipes above the stands, team spokesman Jack Brennan said. Team employees have used the laser pointers before but with only limited success, he said.
i say shoot the pests. it's not like they're endangered.

[edit] where's my award for longest thread title.

awtysst
10-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Story # 1

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070930/ap_on_fe_st/odd_bengals_pigeon_poop;_ylt=AuE0TtLCd8bviIm4JLTY7 NXtiBIF

Story # 2

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=1314bb50-48bf-4da0-9b47-eeadede6dea5

Story # 3 (in which they use lasers)

i say shoot the pests. it's not like they're endangered.

I am reminded of a story in China that I read a few years ago. At the time China was looking into developing its oil and natural gas industry and they contacted several of the large oil and gas companies to help them setup a joint venture. So, apparently they found a good reserve but the problem was there were 50,000 people living in the neighboring area. The oil companies said that they would have to think of a solution and would return in a month or so to present the new ideas. So the oil companies return a month later and suddenly all of the people are gone. All 50,000 of them. The oil companies ask the govt what happened and the govt simply said, "they decided to move ".

Thus I say, sneak into Paul Brown stadium in the night and get the birds out. Should PETA ask any questions, just say, "They decided to move".

powerfuldragon
10-03-2007, 09:20 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/TheKingOfBums/pigeon.jpg

powerfuldragon
10-03-2007, 09:24 AM
Thus I say, sneak into Paul Brown stadium in the night and get the birds out. Should PETA ask any questions, just say, "They decided to move".
i think that would be a pretty fun night of work. you know you'd be acting like a delta force operator.

HOU-TEX
10-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Why only pellet guns? I'd bust out the 12 gauge. Shoot'em while they're flying. It'd be some good practice for this coming duck season.

Pigeons are nasty birds anyways. Unless of course it's the type of pigeon that Speed Racer uses.:cool:

NitroGSXR
10-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Why only pellet guns? I'd bust out the 12 gauge. Shoot'em while they're flying. It'd be some good practice for this coming duck season.

Pigeons are nasty birds anyways. Unless of course it's the type of pigeon that Speed Racer uses.:cool:

A 12 gauge would blow holes through the stadium. That wouldn't work. Sounds like fun though.

Personally, I have no problem with someone going over there and shooting them birds but I'd think that there has to be an easier alternative. Some kind of goo placed where they sit which would make their feet icky and they wouldn't want to return. Something like that. I don't know.

StarStruck
10-03-2007, 10:07 AM
I

I didn't read the article, however, I wonder if birds roost there at night? If I correctly recall my days of youth in a small town, the chickens disappeared between sundown and dawn. I don't know if birds do the same. If they spend the night in the stadium, sounds like the idea will solve the problem quickly.

mike moffat
10-03-2007, 10:08 AM
They are nothing but flying rats. Shotgunning is the way to go.

cuppacoffee
10-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Couple of trained falcons should do the trick. Works at some of our largest airports.

:coffee:

2BCF
10-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Bengals Fans are #1! .....for us to poop on.

signed,
Pigeons of Cincinnati

eriadoc
10-03-2007, 10:29 AM
A 12 gauge would blow holes through the stadium. That wouldn't work. Sounds like fun though.

Personally, I have no problem with someone going over there and shooting them birds but I'd think that there has to be an easier alternative. Some kind of goo placed where they sit which would make their feet icky and they wouldn't want to return. Something like that. I don't know.

Contact poison?

I think the laser idea is a fine one, personally. (http://www.instructables.com/id/SBHR7VCF4WY1LUQ/)

drewmar74
10-03-2007, 10:35 AM

You're on the right track. A lot of places use spike strips on ledges, etc., to keep the pigeons from settling in.

Tedc
10-03-2007, 10:46 AM
You are 100% correct.

Grocery stores use the spikes and a lot of buildings do as well.

I say put electrified wire for them to land on. It will add to the fireworks during the game and provide food for the less fortunate.

NitroGSXR
10-03-2007, 10:49 AM
You are 100% correct.

Grocery stores use the spikes and a lot of buildings do as well.

I say put electrified wire for them to land on. It will add to the fireworks during the game and provide food for the less fortunate.

I don't know. A dead pigeon falling into my nachos doesn't seem to be any better than poo.

Tedc
10-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Maybe they could hire Randy Johnson to handle those pesky birds.

Double Barrel
10-03-2007, 11:25 AM
I don't know. A dead pigeon falling into my nachos doesn't seem to be any better than poo.

At least you'd know what kind of meat were on your nachos...unlike that slop they serve at Reliant.

HOU-TEX
10-03-2007, 11:31 AM

I said while they were flying (in the open area).

Poison or goo just doesn't sound as fun as going through a couple two or three boxes of shells.:howdy:

powerfuldragon
10-03-2007, 11:42 AM
At least you'd know what kind of meat were on your nachos...unlike that slop they serve at Reliant.
DB wins the thread.