PDA

View Full Version : The Bottom Line

prostock101
09-30-2007, 06:52 PM
(1) Two turnovers that led to 10 points.

(2) No run game - Dayne wasn't getting it done. I'm a little surprised Gado didn't get in the game but the OL sure didn't open things up much. I can promise you that Kubiak didn't gameplan to throw the ball 40 times.

(3) Petey - Nuff said.

(4) Red Zone Offense - Inept.

Honestly, if someone had said we'd be 2-2 at this point in the season I would have been ok with that. If and when we get Johnson, Green, Jacoby, and Mathis back, I think we're a much better offense. The defense is another story. The secondary made Harrington look like a Pro Bowler.

Texanmike02
09-30-2007, 07:00 PM

(2) No run game - Dayne wasn't getting it done. I'm a little surprised Gado didn't get in the game but the OL sure didn't open things up much. I can promise you that Kubiak didn't gameplan to throw the ball 40 times.

(3) Petey - Nuff said.

Honestly, if someone had said we'd be 2-2 at this point in the season I would have been ok with that. If and when we get Johnson, Green, Jacoby, and Mathis back, I think we're a much better offense. The defense is another story. The secondary made Harrington look like a Pro Bowler.

This team is young. And we have holes. I don't mean we have soft spots... we have HOLES. CB/FS/RB are all GLARING holes. I know we have Green, but like I said at the beginning of the year.. he hasn't been able to stay on the field for the last few years and he's a +30. Its all downhill from there. We had better either pick up a RB in the draft or get Turner from SD. Same thing with CB. Petey is a likeable guy. But he's NOT A CB2. He is a nickelback. The longer we deny that, the worse it is for everyone involved.

It is not the end of the road though. This team has alot of holes filled for the first time in it existance. Schaub is going to be a monster some day look what he did today with nobody.

You could possibly cover the hole at CB if you had a cover guy at FS. Unfortunately both of our safetys are LB/SS tweeners and not CB/safety tweeners.

Mike

Spled
09-30-2007, 07:26 PM
They had almost 10 minutes more in time of possession. Harrington owned our secondary.

eriadoc
09-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Gado does not deserve a place on this team, and I am seriously disappointed in the coaching staff for acquiring him and then keeping him over backs that we know can somewhat contribute.

Thorn
09-30-2007, 07:56 PM
The bottom line is this team has potential. But then, most NFL teams do, so I'm not sure what that means exactly.

We have the quarterback, receivers and tight ends to be a killer offense. We just need a running back and one or two more good offensive linemen and we are there. The running backs we have now are not going to cut it, and I include Mr. Gimpy Green in that assessment.

As far as defense goes, I support our defensive linemen and linebackers. They will, before this season is over with, prove all the nay sayers wrong about them. Other than Dunta, all our safeties suck harder than gravity.

We have got to get a good running back and some safeties before this team can compete for the playoffs. Itís that simple.

And I to, a month ago, would have been quite happy with 2-2 team right now, but after the first two weeks I guess I let myself get carried away with a team that just has to many problems yet to solve.

GuerillaBlack
09-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Gado does not deserve a place on this team, and I am seriously disappointed in the coaching staff for acquiring him and then keeping him over backs that we know can somewhat contribute.

What backs?

prostock101
09-30-2007, 08:13 PM
The bottom line is this team has potential. But then, most NFL teams do, so I'm not sure what that means exactly.

We have the quarterback, receivers and tight ends to be a killer offense. We just need a running back and one or two more good offensive linemen and we are there. The running backs we have now are not going to cut it, and I include Mr. Gimpy Green in that assessment.

As far as defense goes, I support our defensive linemen and linebackers. They will, before this season is over with, prove all the nay sayers wrong about them. Other than Dunta, all our safeties suck harder than gravity.

We have got to get a good running back and some safeties before this team can compete for the playoffs. Itís that simple.

And I to, a month ago, would have been quite happy with 2-2 team right now, but after the first two weeks I guess I let myself get carried away with a team that just has to many problems yet to solve.

I totally agree. I think we got a little carried away with the early success when, before the season started, everyone was projecting an 8-8 season. This is still a young team with a QB starting his first season and a lot of injuries. If we can get healthy again, I still believe we will win some games and show some good progress.

What I really want is for this team to develop over time and become an elite squad that is in the mix year in and year out like the Colts and Pats. One year wonders like the Saints and Jets are not what we should be looking for. Slow and steady will eventually win the race and be a real contender.

eriadoc
10-01-2007, 12:09 PM
What backs?

Well, we know he's no world-beater, but Wali Lundy contributed more during his rookei season than Gado has as a Texan. I'd be willing to take a chance on Darius Walker, based on what we saw in preseason. I'd be willing to sign Bob from Accountemps, if it'll get Jameel Cook out of the tailback position.

How about this - Anyone But Cook at tailback? If Gado thinks he can fit that bill, he can get in there.

When you're down one back, and the light-footed Ron Dayne is your feature back, that might be your opportunity to at least step in and take some of the load off.

HOU-TEX
10-01-2007, 12:17 PM
Harrington owned our secondary.

This is truly sad, but true.

It's a sad day in America when Harrington lights up your DB's.:gun:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Fletcher was even worse than Petey.

HOU-TEX
10-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Fletcher was even worse than Petey.

Eh, other than Dunta, not a one of our DB's would start for another team. Heck, half of them probably wouldn't even make a roster.:specnatz:

bckey
10-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Eh, other than Dunta, not a one of our DB's would start for another team. Heck, half of them probably wouldn't even make a roster.:specnatz:

Well Pburnt is starting for the Bucs. Maybe the Texans have trouble evaluating talent in the secondary. Either that or Richard Smith isn't calling plays that help our weak areas.

HOU-TEX
10-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Well Pburnt is starting for the Bucs. Maybe the Texans have trouble evaluating talent in the secondary. Either that or Richard Smith isn't calling plays that help our weak areas.

IMO, Richard Smith will be gone after this season. Frank Bush was Kubiak's first choice. He's now here and will eventually take the reins of the Texans D. His calls have always been questionable.

As far as Pburnt goes, maybe he just didn't fit here. They run a cover two defense, right? Alot of zone coverage?

PapaL
10-01-2007, 04:19 PM
I know we have Green, but like I said at the beginning of the year.. he hasn't been able to stay on the field for the last few years and he's a +30. Its all downhill from there. We had better either pick up a RB in the draft or get Turner from SD.

Green had ruptured right quadriceps tendon in 05 - in the other 9 years he has missed a total of 8 games, link (http://www.nfl.com/players/ahmangreen/careerstats?id=GRE035797). That's hardly unable to stay on field for a RB. Short of a severe injury he has missed less then one game a year.

threetoedpete
10-01-2007, 05:04 PM
They had almost 10 minutes more in time of possession. Harrington owned our secondary.

And Grady owned Flannagan. Funny how the whole o-line went into the tank with the rushing attack the loss of McKinney. Well maybe not so strange.

Nice post Mike.

threetoedpete
10-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Green had ruptured right quadriceps tendon in 05 - in the other 9 years he has missed a total of 8 games, link (http://www.nfl.com/players/ahmangreen/careerstats?id=GRE035797). That's hardly unable to stay on field for a RB. Short of a severe injury he has missed less then one game a year.

Yep and you can say the same thing about Salaam. the fact is...he now has eighteen nfl games in a row on those thiry something legs. I mean realy, how many more starts are you expecting out of him without McKinney in the middle of the line ? They hit thirty the players start to break down. It's more rare when they don't. Dayne has to have a hole to get those chubby little legs motoring. Everyone knew this when they took the guy.

Texanmike02
10-01-2007, 05:37 PM

He has played a full season once in the last 6 years (including this one).

PapaL
10-03-2007, 07:43 PM
He has played a full season once in the last 6 years (including this one).

How many starting RBs play every game? Besides the ruptured tendon, he has has missed one or two games at most a season. Considering his running style, I don't think that's horrible. Plus of his 10 years, he didn't really play the first two years. I think this whole injury and age thing is blown out of proportion sometimes.

TexansFaninNC
10-03-2007, 08:08 PM

I have to agree with the others that ask what backs are you speaking of?

Double Barrel
10-03-2007, 08:23 PM

(3) Petey - Nuff said.

I'd have to add (5) bad coaching decisions.

Kubiak's clock management and playcalling was suspect, IMO. Too many three and outs without even trying to pass the ball. I understand his desire to establish the running game, but when it comes at the cost of wearing our defense out early, the gameplan needs to be flexible.

And Richard Smith waited waaaaaay too long to pressure Harrington with blitzes. Our line was obviously in a dancing mood last Sunday and gave him all day to make a ham sandwich before passing. We do not have the luxury of coverage that can last that long, and why we kept playing it safe with Joey freaking Harrington is beyond my comprehension.

I'll be a happy fan when we rid ourselves of our DC. Dude has never impressed me.