PDA

View Full Version : Chronicle article on DeMarcus Faggins

Marcus
09-28-2007, 08:35 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5171487.html

Nice to hear how he's handling the criticism.

Tulip
09-28-2007, 02:46 PM
In my opinion, there's a reason that Petey is an original Texan who is still around and still starting. Smith and Kubiak have done a pretty darn good job of getting rid of the dead weight, and for Petey to be sticking around with Pitts and Weary, I think that says something.

He had a good game against Marvin Harrison last week.

real
09-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Petey had an awful game last week. Addai jumping over his head for a TD, Petey losing contain for another Addai score. And then he gave huge cushions on downs that we needed tight coverage.

If the Colts need 6 yards for a first down, it's not very smart to give a 7 yard cushion.

Having said that, there isn't a corner on the team that'd I rather run out there in his place.

infantrycak
09-28-2007, 03:08 PM
If the Colts need 6 yards for a first down, it's not very smart to give a 7 yard cushion.

Turn your attention to John Hoke then. If that hadn't been his decision, he would have jumped Petey's butt after the 1st time it happened and he wouldn't have continued to play that far off for the remainder of the game.

real
09-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Turn your attention to John Hoke then. If that hadn't been his decision, he would have jumped Petey's butt after the 1st time it happened and he wouldn't have continued to play that far off for the remainder of the game.

Hoke acknowledged that Petey was playing too far off in the article.

Asked why Faggins frequently appears to give the receiver excessive wiggle room, Hoke answered, "Some of it is by design." But he also conceded, "There were plays (against the Colts) where we were playing zone technique and he kind of carried it over to man coverage. So, yes, in those situations, he got too far off."

It's not that easy to make coaching critiques like that in the game. Some things are better corrected and noticed by coaches after watching film.

HOU-TEX
09-28-2007, 03:15 PM

From reading this little snippet from Chron.com, it sounds like Hoke had them playing that way. Hoke also pointed out that Petey made mistakes as well. I would have to hope the Colts final 1st down to Harrison was Faggins fault. If not, it was a bad coverage called by the coaches.

Asked why Faggins frequently appears to give the receiver excessive wiggle room, Hoke answered, "Some of it is by design." But he also conceded, "There were plays (against the Colts) where we were playing zone technique and he kind of carried it over to man coverage. So, yes, in those situations, he got too far off."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5171487.html

infantrycak
09-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Hoke acknowledged that Petey was playing too far off in the article.

It's not that easy to make coaching critiques like that in the game. Some things are better corrected and noticed by coaches after watching film.

He isn't referring to cushion at the snap in that quote--he is referring to permitting gaps down field when in man coverage as if it is a zone and there is someone to pick up the WR.

It is very easy to spot the cushion at the snap by eyeball much less the overheads they receive throughout the game of every play.

Corrosion
09-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Petey had an awful game last week. Addai jumping over his head for a TD

Yep . Peety went low just like you were taught to do . Stop a guy's legs and you stop him ..... Addai made a nice play getting those last three yards in the air . No one else got near him until he had already crossed the goal line .

What the Texans do in the early part of next years draft will tell a lot about how the coaches feel about Faggins play . I'd wager at this point that he's the starter next year barring they pick up someone via FA .... I dont see a rookie coming in and taking his job .

ObsiWan
09-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Yep . Peety went low just like you were taught to do . Stop a guy's legs and you stop him ..... Addai made a nice play getting those last three yards in the air . No one else got near him until he had already crossed the goal line .

What the Texans do in the early part of next years draft will tell a lot about how the coaches feel about Faggins play . I'd wager at this point that he's the starter next year barring they pick up someone via FA .... I dont see a rookie coming in and taking his job .

Neither do I.

However, if Bennett (or Harrison even...) makes good strides this year toward picking up the defense and learning how to be an NFL CB, maybe he takes Petey's job and Petey goes to nickelback...

just a thought... and that still doesn't prevent us from keeping an eyeball out for DB talent during the draft.

WWJD
09-28-2007, 04:41 PM
I second the "he played horribly last week" opinions.

badboy
09-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Neither do I.

However, if Bennett makes good strides this year picking up the defense and learning how to be an NFL CB, maybe he takes Petey's job and Petey goes to nickelback...

just a thought... and that still doesn't prevent us from keeping an eyeball out for DB talent during the draft.
Would a CB like Revis have had a chance to start this season?

infantrycak
09-28-2007, 04:53 PM
Would a CB like Revis have had a chance to start this season?

Or Dunta Robinson?--the answer is yes.

HJam72
09-28-2007, 05:10 PM
I wanted Revis, and I've been down on Faggins as a starter for a long time; but, if he's all we got, he's all we got. We took Okoye and everybody seems to be happy with him, so let's just realize that we need at least one more off-season to get things really right--maybe more. As long as things keep getting better overall, I can live with it.

Besides, he's been facing some competition that no #2 CB could exactly shut down anyway.

PS-I do wish Faggins would stop backing off so much, though. That one thing really annoys me. Let's not just give them 1st downs when time is running out on us.

Corrosion
09-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Robinson was the 10th pick and Revis the 14th ..... top half of the first round .Guy's with that kind of talent at CB are taken early . I dont expect the Texans picking that early this year . I think they will be in the 18-20 range .

The CB's taken in the 1st round this year have a combined 4 starts . Three of those by Revis . So its no guarantee that a CB taken early is going to contribute .

HJam72
09-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Robinson was the 10th pick and Revis the 14th ..... top half of the first round .Guy's with that kind of talent at CB are taken early . I dont expect the Texans picking that early this year . I think they will be in the 18-20 range .

The CB's taken in the 1st round this year have a combined 4 starts . Three of those by Revis . So its no guarantee that a CB taken early is going to contribute .

Keeping my mouth shut....keeping shut, dang it. :shades:

threetoedpete
09-28-2007, 05:20 PM
I wanted Revis, and I've been down on Faggins as a starter for a long time; but, if he's all we got, he's all we got. We took Okoye and everybody seems to be happy with him, so let's just realize that we need at least one more off-season to get things really right--maybe more. As long as things keep getting better overall, I can live with it.

Besides, he's been facing some competition that no #2 CB could exactly shut down anyway.

PS-I do wish Faggins would stop backing off so much, though. That one thing really annoys me. Let's not just give them 1st downs when time is running out on us.

Agreed. There's nothing anyone can do about the situation now. They like him. He does ok when not locked onto the 1. If the coaches can live with it I certainly can. Apparently they do not like to flip the corners for match ups.
Just have to get good push from the front four and grab every forced fumble they can.

badboy
09-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Agreed. There's nothing anyone can do about the situation now. They like him. He does ok when not locked onto the 1. If the coaches can live with it I certainly can. Apparently they do not like to flip the corners for match ups.
Just have to get good push from the front four and grab every forced fumble they can.
possibilities to improve CB next year 1. bennett 2. draft 3. Free agency with all that cash that will be available,

Exithios
09-28-2007, 05:31 PM
possibilities to improve CB next year 1. bennett 2. draft 3. Free agency with all that cash that will be available,

As bad as our CB situation is currently, I am still hoping that Bennett shows some flash and allows us to go a different direction in the draft.

Any chance that Bennett is picking up the defense while sitting on IR?

Corrosion
09-28-2007, 05:34 PM

53 yards on six catches and no TD's by Harrison is pretty good for a #2 CB .

Keeping my mouth shut....keeping shut, dang it. :shades:

I wouldnt mind having the guy myself .... BUT we all know Football is a game won by the big uglies up front . Im satisfied with the Okoye pick and hope that the CB2 position can be addressed this coming offseason . I'd really like to see Peety back as the nickle corner . But until someone actually takes the job away from him I'm content with what he gives us .

I just get sick of people regurgitating the same crap when none of them really understand the defense not to mention none of us knows the responisbilities of each coverage or defensive call and blame everything on one guy . For now Faggins gives us the best chance to win football games NOW!

:texflag:

bah007
09-28-2007, 06:01 PM

I'd rather Faggins give an 8 yd cushion then get beat deep over & over again.

I know its annoying, but that's the best he can do & right now we don't have anyone who can do it better.

Marcus
09-28-2007, 06:40 PM
I'd rather Faggins give an 8 yd cushion then get beat deep over & over again.

You beat me to it. When you match up against the likes of Smith and Harrison, you pretty much have to pick your poison.

I don't blame either Faggins or Hoke at all for playing them the way he did.

Tulip
09-28-2007, 07:00 PM
You beat me to it. When you match up against the likes of Smith and Harrison, you pretty much have to pick your poison.

I don't blame either Faggins or Hoke at all for playing them the way he did.

I agree - I'm not sure that he or Hoke had a choice because either Kubiak or Richard Smith chose coverage over being blitz-heavy (which I didn't like, personally), and that's about the best that could be done with that choice.

To allow Harrison only 53 yards and no TDs was about the best anyone could come away with, IMO.

76Texan
09-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Yes, it also looks like to me that we were trying to make the Colts work for the points. We would not allow them the deep ball.

Screw up our yardage number, but I guess it was one way to defend the Colts. I hate to see Peyton get into a rythm though.

But overall, I think it was a very decent game plan.
Our defense missed a tackle here and there that would have stopped them on 3rd down, or put them in 3rd and long.
It wasn't by much. Addai for one, is a very quick cat.
He done us much damage. :bat:

Corrosion
09-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Yes, it also looks like to me that we were trying to make the Colts work for the points. We would not allow them the deep ball.

Screw up our yardage number, but I guess it was one way to defend the Colts. I hate to see Peyton get into a rythm though.

But overall, I think it was a very decent game plan.
Our defense missed a tackle here and there that would have stopped them on 3rd down, or put them in 3rd and long.
It wasn't by much. Addai for one, is a very quick cat.
He done us much damage. :bat:

Take away the two INT's by Schaub which cost the Texans points and the Dolts turned into 10 points and the outcome is likely different .