PDA

View Full Version : Houston/Atlanta (odds & ends)

Speedy
09-27-2007, 10:00 PM
The Texans are favored by 3. O/U 39.
This is the first time EVER that the Texans have been favored on the road.

It is only the 13th time the Texans have been favored in any game, all of the previous 12 at home of course, where the Texans are 6-6 in those games.

Atlanta is currently riding a 6 game losing streak and a 5 game home losing streak. Their last home win was Oct. 22, 2006 vs. Pittsburgh. They were 3 point 'dogs in that game.

Atlanta is 1-4 in their last 5 home games where they were the 'dog, dating back to Oct. '05.

Houston has won the only head-to-head meeting, a 17-13 win in 2003 at Reliant. The Texans were favored by 3 in that game.

The Texans are 3-2 vs. the NFC south. Carolina twice and Atlanta once are the 3 wins.

Atlanta is 1-4 vs. AFC south. Their only win against Jacksonville in '03.

Houston is 3-2 in their last 5 road games.

The Texans have NEVER won on the road, indoors (0-7). Of course, 5 of those 7 losses are in the RCA Dome. The other 2, Saints in '03, Lions in '04.

gwallaia
09-27-2007, 10:03 PM
Interesting stats.

I have a bad feeling about this game.

Ole Miss Texan
09-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Interesting stats.

I fully expect the Texans to win, even with our injuries...but it's funny you say this. Because I have a bad/weird feeling about this game too. I hope it turns out to be nothing.

stevn8r
09-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Interesting stats.

aggreed on the stats....feelin pretty good about the game :texflag:

stevn8r
09-27-2007, 10:24 PM
I fully expect the Texans to win, even with our injuries...but it's funny you say this. Because I have a bad/weird feeling about this game too. I hope it turns out to be nothing.

Sounds like you have a case of the "usetabee's"
hopefully it will pass in a few days...Like 2 days 13 min....

The Pencil Neck
09-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Interesting stats.

:texan:

I have a bad feeling about every game.

:fans:

gwallaia
09-27-2007, 10:32 PM
The good news is: When I have a good feeling about a game, the Texans almost always lose.

IonSen88
09-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Their last home win was Oct. 22, 2006 vs. Pittsburgh. They were 3 point 'dogs in that game.:splits:

drewmar74
09-27-2007, 11:11 PM
"They were 3 point 'dogs in that game"

Yes. And Harrington is playing alright. The WR's and TE position are not too shabby. Norwood and Dunn are a decent running back tandem. Home field advantage. John Abraham, DeAngelo Hall, etc. etc. etc. Any given Sunday and all that rot.

I still think we'll win.

We're sketchy on the WR side, relying on Ron "DriveThruLane" Dayne at the RB spot, and just lost our starting center. Petey Faggins has been exposed (call it scheme, talent, whatever) more than Pee Wee Herman at an adult movie theater. Oh, and our safeties take more bad angles than the National Enquirer front page....

Schaub will move the ball down the field. We'll feed Ronnie the ball enough to get him in rythmn. He'll do enough damage simply falling on your d-linemen to break their spirits. Atlanta will think that they can put a LB on Daniels and he'll catch passes as a result. The defense will bend but not break. Mario and the Nigerian Nightmares will cause Harrington to make a couple of plays that will make the Georgia Dome go "WTF!?!?!?" and we'll go 3-1.

Houston wins 21-17 in a good game. Hopefully we all go home injury free and both teams can go on about the business of slaying giants within their respective divisions.

Hey, IonSen88 - you guys thinking Brian Brohm or McFadden next year? No insult intended, just wasn't sure what the scuttlebutt was.

IonSen88
09-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Hey, IonSen88 - you guys thinking Brian Brohm or McFadden next year? No insult intended, just wasn't sure what the scuttlebutt was.Yes, I am thinking Brian Brohm and a big fat LT.

TyrantTexan
09-27-2007, 11:51 PM
If we lose....:gun: !!!!!

Schaub to Davis ALL DAY with D. Hall.......

:play:

DiehardChris
09-28-2007, 01:42 AM
Whoa, it's hard to believe in our SIXTH season that we've never been favored on the road. That's... sad.

We weren't favored in Oakland last season?

TexansLucky13
09-28-2007, 02:28 AM
Whoa, it's hard to believe in our SIXTH season that we've never been favored on the road. That's... sad.

We weren't favored in Oakland last season?

The Raiders had an awesome pass D, and judging by the statistical outcome of the game (other than the points total), I would have picked them too. Negative passing yards.....

brickman
09-28-2007, 06:47 AM

EXACTLY!!!! This team is learning how to win and this is another step up that ladder. GO TEXANS :texflag:

Silver Oak
09-28-2007, 07:19 AM
I don't have a pass into the locker room, but based on their play in Carolina when they were down, and they way they played against the SB Champs last wek with 2nd teamers, I believe it is a safe bet to say these are not the previous years Texans.

More talent, better coaching, and IMO, they're learning how to win.

Thorn
09-28-2007, 07:26 AM
We'll be 4-1 going into the Jacksonville game, so I feel pretty good about this one.

And off topic (sorry)...Speedy, I just noticed your Gamblers avator for some reason. I sill have my Gamblers baseball cap, some game brochures and ticket stubs from the Gamblers. Actually I still have some tickets that were never used. I don't know why I hang on to them, but I do.

HOU-TEX
09-28-2007, 08:54 AM
i'm think the d'line is going to have an outstanding blue-star type of game. like a snowball rolling down a mountain building itself up. and amobi has something to prove, so i look for him to step it up.

joey harrington is who we thought he was. one game does not the quarterback make. a career of poor performances though...does.

Like the vaunted Carolina Dline did last week?

This game's like a snake hidden in the grass. They're just waiting to strike.

:texflag:

Twitch-Houston
09-28-2007, 09:15 AM
Anyone have information on Crumpler's status for the game? On Atlanta's site he's listed like this:

Alge Crumpler (team decision) Limited Participation in Practice (on Thurs)

The other Atlanta players on the report (including Hall with an elbow issue) have what's ailing them listed after their name. Crumpler just has "team decision". Is the team going to get together and vote on what's ailing him? ha ha

I smell a rat. Maybe trying to pull one on the Texans' planning. :bat:

gtexan02
09-28-2007, 09:33 AM
I hope we take them seriously. They are a good team, whether or not they have any wins at this point.

Twitch-Houston
09-28-2007, 09:55 AM
I hope we take them seriously. They are a good team, whether or not they have any wins at this point.

I agree. It won't be a walk in the park especially without a lot of our O weapons. Course that said, I hope they implode like another team in their division, the Saints.

dskillz
09-28-2007, 10:25 AM
Interesting stats.

The Texans are banged up, the Falcons are desperate for a win and would love to ruin Schaub's homecoming. They will be fired up. I am not automatically marking this game down as a victory as many are. The injuries are killing us!!!!

Historyhorn
09-28-2007, 10:25 AM
I think we'll be fortunate to escape the Georgia Dome with a win. And if we do, it'll have to be an ugly one with the defense getting short fields and possibly manufacturing some points.

Schaub is going to have to have the game of his life, because of our loss of weapons on O. Owen Daniels and our 2nd and 3rd stringers will need to come up big time as well.

If we're able to pull this one out, I think it will be even more of a benchmark of how far we've come than the Carolina game (if that's possible).

Go Texans

Texans Horror
09-28-2007, 10:26 AM
I think Matt will want to make a statement like Vince wanted to make in Houston last year. And from what I saw last week, I think he will hit anybody between the matters, no matter the receiver. I also don't think the Falcons will be able to capitalize on Texans mistakes the way the Colts and Panthers were able to. The stout Texans D will make sure of that. Dayne will bulldoze through the line like he always does. It won't be as effective as having Green in there, but it will be solid enough to keep the Falcons respecting a galumphing, lumbering run game. So all in all, I expect a good game, but one the Texans will win in the end.

gtexan02
09-28-2007, 10:30 AM
uh, tim purpura? is that you?

c'mon man, be real. say they may come up and bite us if we don't watch out but not "they're a good team"....if they were a good team we wouldn't be a road favorite.

Sorry, but I think they are a good team.

They've got good players on defense (Abraham is great, Hall is usually awesome, Brookings is very good). They've got good players on offense (Dunn + Norwood are very talented, Crumpler is top 5 TE, White and Jenkins are improving)

And despite what people may believe, Harrington is playing extremely well so far given the circumstances. He put up 350+ yards on the Panthers last week. THey SHOULD have won that game

They almost beat the Jags the week before

hollywood_texan
09-28-2007, 11:06 AM

This is a take care of business game.

We are going to find out what kind of team the 2007 Texans are and is all the progress real and not just smoke and mirrors.

A convincing win, and the Texans are a legit team in the AFC to start making some noise...

The Pencil Neck
09-28-2007, 11:18 AM

We are going to find out what kind of team the 2007 Texans are and is all the progress real and not just smoke and mirrors.

A convincing win, and the Texans are a legit team in the AFC to start making some noise...

I've said it over and over. To be a good team, we have to beat the teams we're supposed to beat. Prior to this, there haven't been a lot of teams that we were supposed to beat. If we can win these next two games even though we're beaten up and injured, we will at least be a respectable team.

Texans_Chick
09-28-2007, 12:18 PM

Nah, this isn't a taking care of business game.

This is a basic survival game.

The Texans are likely going to be playing without every single one of their offensive playmakers. Schaub and Daniels I put in the category of solid not spectacular guys.

At the offensive/special team skill positions, they are playing guys who are basically rejects from every other team.

And though the statistics for the defensive side of the ball are improved, they aren't completely dominating--the defense does best when the offense keeps them off the freaking field, if the field position is good, or they figure out whatever mojo they need to be doing and actually play ball.

This will be a huge test of Schaub and the system offense.

Winning on the road is never easy against any team. I'd say this Sunday's game is like playing with one arm behind your back, but it's more like no arms, no legs. and a blindfold.

People are acting like the Texans are all that and the bag of chips, but truth is that the Texans were just starting to know who they were, and with these injuries are fixin to find out more. I think the Texans when they are healthy are one of the best teams in the league. With these particular injuries, I hope they are even average.

We have no idea who this team is.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, and nor am I responding to just one post--I just am having a hard time seeing what the positive aspects of this game are. Atlanta has played some tough games on the road and should have won their last game at home--a game where they were able to move the ball.

Dallas_Texan
09-28-2007, 12:36 PM
My Prediction: Look for DRob to have a big game....

Bad Prediction: Alge Crumpler will too

Game Prediction : Falcons play extremely hard, but fall to Schaub, Demeco and co 24-20.

:fans: :fans: :texflag:

real
09-28-2007, 12:37 PM
I'd say Matt and OD are really good at this point, not spectacular. They are better than 'solid' though.

Atlanta is a bad team and we are better than they are. That's why we are favored by 3 points on the road.

If we don't win, it will be a let down--AKA we should win.

hollywood_texan
09-28-2007, 01:04 PM

I think we are discussing perspective here.

When Kubiak said "there are no moral victories" last week, that tells me that we as fans can expect more.

If Schaub is playing at 100% and he is as good as we think he is, and the defense is pretty healthy, then the Texans should be able to take care of business against lower tier teams.

To be a "winning program" like Kubiak said last Sunday in his post game comments, I infer from that you "take care of business" against a team like the Falcons.

TC, I understand your perspective, but I think your setting expectations similarily to what we expected the first 5 years and with DC as the QB.

It's time to expect more, we deserve more, we have earned it, and it's time the Texans take it. Therefore, it's a taking care of business game. Come on in, the water is warm! There's plenty of Jack and Coke to go around!

Texans Horror
09-28-2007, 01:17 PM
I've said it over and over. To be a good team, we have to beat the teams we're supposed to beat. Prior to this, there haven't been a lot of teams that we were supposed to beat. If we can win these next two games even though we're beaten up and injured, we will at least be a respectable team.

I completely agree on the needing to beat the teams we're supposed to beat point. I think Dick Vermeil made similar comments about his teams, too.

However, JMO, but I'd put the Chiefs in that category.

Texans_Chick
09-28-2007, 02:02 PM
I'd say Matt and OD are really good at this point, not spectacular. They are better than 'solid' though.

Atlanta is a bad team and we are better than they are. That's why we are favored by 3 points on the road.

If we don't win, it will be a let down--AKA we should win.

Maybe my definition of "solid" is different than yours. I think of them as dependable, quality players but not of the oh-wow-how-did-they-do-that playmaking variety.

The betting line has everything to do with getting the right amount of action on the game. I am not sure that the banged up Texans are a better team than ATL.

It's a let down any time the team loses.

threetoedpete
09-28-2007, 02:08 PM
The Texans are banged up, the Falcons are desperate for a win and would love to ruin Schaub's homecoming. They will be fired up. I am not automatically marking this game down as a victory as many are. The injuries are killing us!!!!

That's the way I'm reading it also. Trap game. We should lay waist to the QB position with our front four. our holes our still our holes. And I'm not talking wounded skill guys here. They come out flat, not listen to the coaches, it'll be a war for sure. I dunno and I ain't in the room but I'll lay money that Kubiak and the rest of them are warning the players tring to avoid the trap.

Texans_Chick
09-28-2007, 02:14 PM
I think we are discussing perspective here.

When Kubiak said "there are no moral victories" last week, that tells me that we as fans can expect more.

If Schaub is playing at 100% and he is as good as we think he is, and the defense is pretty healthy, then the Texans should be able to take care of business against lower tier teams.

To be a "winning program" like Kubiak said last Sunday in his post game comments, I infer from that you "take care of business" against a team like the Falcons.

TC, I understand your perspective, but I think your setting expectations similarily to what we expected the first 5 years and with DC as the QB.

It's time to expect more, we deserve more, we have earned it, and it's time the Texans take it. Therefore, it's a taking care of business game. Come on in, the water is warm! There's plenty of Jack and Coke to go around!

I don't care who the quarterback is. This has nothing to do with DC. Put John Elway in his prime back there. He can't throw to himself, nor can he run it.

The Texans are likely going to start Ron Dayne, Kevin Walter, Andre Davis, David Anderson. No offense to those guys, but I just ate lunch, and seeing that in writing doesn't help with digestion. This is the ultimate test of a system offense.

The defense has not played consistently well. They've played scary--sometimes scary to the other team and sometimes scary to the fans. And it will be harder for the Texans offense/ST to make the explosive plays that have bailed them out.

I would love nothing more than the Texans to go to ATL and bust them in the mouth.

As for the 100% healthy defense, I say we wrap DeMeco Ryans, Dunta Robinson, Amobi Okoye and Mario Williams in bubble wrap with air holes, because if any of those guys get injured, I'm going to have some sort of fit.

Pantherstang84
09-28-2007, 03:23 PM
The D. Hall melt down last week tells me everything I need to know about the Dirty Birds. After he blew up @ Petrino, they folded.

This year they are very much like the 'old Texans" and suffer from what I call the Saltine effect. When the pressure is on, they crumble like a cracker.

With all of the injuries, the Texans have every reason to feel sorry for themselves. But they are not!

Despite the injuries, I think the Texans win this game. I think the so called "scrubs" will step up and play.

The Pencil Neck
09-28-2007, 04:02 PM
With all of the injuries, the Texans have every reason to feel sorry for themselves. But they are not!

Despite the injuries, I think the Texans win this game. I think the so called "scrubs" will step up and play.

I don't doubt this.

I just want to see proof by having them beat the Falcons and Dolphins.

alphajoker
09-28-2007, 07:01 PM
I have an ambivalence for this game too. A part of me believes they should win this game with ease, but at the same time, I'm so used to being let down by the team of the past, that it's easy to feel this way. This game will certainly tell us if this team really has turned the corner and win games like they're supposed to. :texflag:

Giant Tiger
09-30-2007, 09:02 AM
I think we'll be fortunate to escape the Georgia Dome with a win. And if we do, it'll have to be an ugly one with the defense getting short fields and possibly manufacturing some points.

Schaub is going to have to have the game of his life, because of our loss of weapons on O. Owen Daniels and our 2nd and 3rd stringers will need to come up big time as well.

If we're able to pull this one out, I think it will be even more of a benchmark of how far we've come than the Carolina game (if that's possible).

Go Texans

I'm looking forward to this game. No question we need to win. Definitely will show what we're made of. A win will show character & will be a big momentum boost for the rest of the year:wild:

ObsiWan
09-30-2007, 09:28 AM

The Texans are likely going to be playing without every single one of their offensive playmakers. Schaub and Daniels I put in the category of solid not spectacular guys.

At the offensive/special team skill positions, they are playing guys who are basically rejects from every other team.

And though the statistics for the defensive side of the ball are improved, they aren't completely dominating--the defense does best when the offense keeps them off the freaking field, if the field position is good, or they figure out whatever mojo they need to be doing and actually play ball.

This will be a huge test of Schaub and the system offense.

Winning on the road is never easy against any team. I'd say this Sunday's game is like playing with one arm behind your back, but it's more like no arms, no legs. and a blindfold.

People are acting like the Texans are all that and the bag of chips, but truth is that the Texans were just starting to know who they were, and with these injuries are fixin to find out more. I think the Texans when they are healthy are one of the best teams in the league. With these particular injuries, I hope they are even average.

We have no idea who this team is.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, and nor am I responding to just one post--I just am having a hard time seeing what the positive aspects of this game are. Atlanta has played some tough games on the road and should have won their last game at home--a game where they were able to move the ball.

Aaaah, a realist. Good.
Our offensive cupboard is nearly bare. Both our PR and KR threats are out. In fact, I'm surprised we didn't grab Bethel Johnson as a stop-gap - unless he's already signed with someone else.

My take: If we're to win this one, our defense will have to score ...or at least force multiple turnovers and give our depleted offense a short field. If our D stays in Joey's face all day and harrasses him into mistakes, we can do this.

Blitz Richard Smith, Blitz!

DBCooper
09-30-2007, 09:46 AM
Aaaah, a realist. Good.
Our offensive cupboard is nearly bare. Both our PR and KR threats are out. In fact, I'm surprised we didn't grab Bethel Johnson as a stop-gap - unless he's already signed with someone else.

My take: If we're to win this one, our defense will have to score ...or at least force multiple turnovers and give our depleted offense a short field. If our D stays in Joey's face all day and harrasses him into mistakes, we can do this.

Blitz Richard Smith, Blitz!

Defense is the key. If the defense can be the unit I know they are, then we have a good chance of beating these guys.

Schaub is all business and will find a way to put some points on the board.

TexanRevolution
09-30-2007, 11:58 AM

Lol..."Somebody's got a case of the usetabees"

http://circadianshift.net/images/peter1.jpg