PDA

View Full Version : 60 MINUTES: VY W(h)ining About not Being the Big Cheese

CloakNNNdagger
09-27-2007, 09:57 PM
What is going on with all these primadonas coming out of the 2006 Draft?? Just what I would want to hear coming from our team leader. Maybe, we should request a debate on Prime Time between VY and RB??..............or better yet, maybe we could arrange for the same on the WWF network.

Vince Young should be busy concentrating on taking the Tennessee Titans back to the playoffs, instead he's still pining away for an individual award he will never win.

Young will appear in an interview with Scott Pelley on Sunday on "60 Minutes" to air his grievances about not winning the 2005 Heisman Trophy.

Still angry and insistent he is the better football player, Young tells Pelley that he deserved the award, among other things.

"I was angry about that situation, not bringing (the Heisman) back," Young said. "And I wanted to show the world that I was the real Heisman Trophy winner. But on paper, Reggie Bush is the Heisman Trophy winner. (I am) not taking nothing from him, he knows he's a phenomenal athlete."

Young didn't stop at saying he deserved the Heisman.

"I always feel like I'm better. Always," Young said when asked if he thinks he's better than Bush.

Last year, Young set the rookie quarterback record for rushing with 552 yards and led Tennessee to an 8-8 record, but missed a chance to take the team to the playoffs for the first time since 2003. After helping to turn the team around, Young has set his sights on getting the Titans to the postseason.

"I want to say, you know, I'm not trying to predict it right now, but how we're looking right now, we have a big shot at the playoffs," Young said.

Texans_Chick
09-27-2007, 10:15 PM
What is going on with all these primadonas coming out of the 2006 Draft?? Just what I would want to hear coming from our team leader. Maybe, we should request a debate on Prime Time between VY and RB??..............or better yet, maybe we could arrange for the same on the WWF network.

His complaint should be with the USC defense.

They stunk it up against Fresno State and others, and he got lots of opportunities to be on the field.

VY was handing the ball off in the third quarter of a lot of games because they were already so outta hand.

Eh, he's just answering the questions that are asked in a truthful manner. I actually prefer athletes to say what they think instead of the blah blah blah answer. Unless, of course, they are on the team I root for, and then I don't want them to be a distraction.

Bulluck53
09-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Yep... yall are pathetic.

:lol:

Oh and how is this whining exactly... he explains how he felt when he didn't win it. As TC said, he was answering the question...

Young admitted he was angry about not winning the Heisman Trophy in his final season at the University of Texas. The award went to Southern Cal running back Reggie Bush, now with the New Orleans Saints. “I was angry about that situation, not bringing [the Heisman] back,” Young said. “And I wanted to show the world that I was the real Heisman Trophy winner. But on paper, Reggie Bush is the Heisman Trophy winner. I [am] not taking nothing from him, he knows he's a phenomenal athlete. … I always feel like I'm better. Always.”

Noblesse Oblige
09-28-2007, 12:22 AM

Oh and how is this whining exactly... he explains how he felt when he didn't win it. As TC said, he was answering the question...

He could just say "I've got more important things to do now, like winning a Lombardi for my team."

He's doing great, as Boston would say, "Don't Look Back"

Texan_Bill
09-28-2007, 09:13 AM
This would be way to easy to pick on "his highness" AND Bulluck.. So I will just leave it alone.

nunusguy
09-28-2007, 09:35 AM
VY might be behaving in an unseemly manner, but I still totally agree with him because he was ripped-off. VY was the leading candidate for the Heisman until Bush had a very good game as a member of a very formidable offense against a very JUCO level defense and his highlights from the game were run nonstop, coast-to-coast for weeks and even months by one of his primary corporate benefactors, ESPN, in a very successful campaign to influence voting among those selecting the Heisman winner.
I take it this is on the upcoming 60 Minutes program this Sunday, and I'm looking forward to it ? Maybe "60" will do some real investigative reporting and
give us a real story about the link between corporate sponsers and their interest and zeal in being advocates for celebrity-jocks, including those who are less that steller performers as pro athletes.

gwallaia
09-28-2007, 09:39 AM
Did Peyton Manning have a similar reaction when he did not win the Heisman?

Seņor Stan
09-28-2007, 09:49 AM
The thread title gave me a bit of a laugh.

I move we begin to call anyone who continues to bring up passing up Young in the 2005 draft a "VYner". Pronounced 'V-Whiner"

Texan_Bill
09-28-2007, 09:59 AM
The thread title gave me a bit of a laugh.

I move we begin to call anyone who continues to bring up passing up Young in the 2005 draft a "VYner". Pronounced 'V-Whiner"

Nice... Tried to rep ya, but "you must spread yada yada......"

Mr teX
09-28-2007, 10:30 AM
His complaint should be with the USC defense.

They stunk it up against Fresno State and others, and he got lots of opportunities to be on the field.

VY was handing the ball off in the third quarter of a lot of games because they were already so outta hand.

Eh, he's just answering the questions that are asked in a truthful manner. I actually prefer athletes to say what they think instead of the blah blah blah answer. Unless, of course, they are on the team I root for, and then I don't want them to be a distraction.

Completely agree.

Kaiser Toro
09-28-2007, 10:36 AM

No, but he was still allergic to winning big games at that stage in his career as well. :pirate:

Double Barrel
09-28-2007, 10:41 AM

Joe Montana is still upset that he wasn't the first overall pick in his draft.

His quote: "I mean, come on, I'm Joe freaking Montana!"

Specnatz
09-28-2007, 11:18 AM

I just love how he stated things. He makes every person who ever went to UT for an education all say collectively, OMG shut the F up your making my degree worthless.

The Pencil Neck
09-28-2007, 11:30 AM
I just love how he stated things. He makes every person who ever went to UT for an education all say collectively, OMG shut the F up your making my degree worthless.

If they were worried about their degree having some value, why did they go to UT to begin with?

:jk:

Grams
09-28-2007, 01:01 PM
If they were worried about their degree having some value, why did they go to UT to begin with?

:jk:

ROFLMAO

Sad, but true.

jerek
09-28-2007, 01:24 PM
Eh. VY has a point--he technically should've won. He was the more valuable player that year and he had a vital role in a thrilling national championship victory.

His detractors also have a point--he should probably let it go already. If there's anything more obnoxious than the onslaught of Reggie Bush commercials, it's another guy saying, hey that should be me instead. I keep hearing that VY is such a team guy but, JMO, a true "team guy" should be careful about making public appearances to endorse his qualifications for an individual award. Sort of looks like your focus is somewhere else.

But I'd have to see this interview for myself--they may just be blowing it out of context. And like TC said, can't fault the guy for giving honest answers to questions when asked.

infantrycak
09-28-2007, 01:48 PM
And like TC said, can't fault the guy for giving honest answers to questions when asked.

Have to disagree and agree with you a bit. A leader can be honest but change the focus as you mentioned to something less individual. A QB like Carr got asked questions all the time about the OL. An honest answer (at least from his perspective--not meant to provoke an OL v. Carr debate) might be we would win some games if my OL didn't play like crud or the coaches would do something one of these years to fix the OL, etc. but that wouldn't be the best thing for the team. That's why you see so many trite sayings from athletes--they are trying to be honest without being too honest.

real
09-28-2007, 01:51 PM
I think that is totally different than asking someone about something that happened in college.

Questions about a 2005 college award vs. dogging your current teammates

I just don't think it's the same thing...JMO...I doubt his Titan teammates even care...not even Lendale...

Brando
09-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Nice... Tried to rep ya, but "you must spread yada yada......"

Took care of it for ya Bill.:cowboy1:

Bulluck53
09-28-2007, 06:00 PM
I agree he shouldn't have said anything but its getting blown out of proportion, like everything else he does (including his play).

But do you seriously expect him to say "no comment?"

Bulluck53
09-28-2007, 06:01 PM
This would be way to easy to pick on "his highness" AND Bulluck.. So I will just leave it alone.

Oh please, carry on...

Double Barrel
09-28-2007, 06:12 PM
I agree he shouldn't have said anything but its getting blown out of proportion, like everything else he does (including his play).

But do you seriously expect him to say "no comment?"

I don't know....maybe act like a professional and say it's in the past and nothing to dwell upon. He could say his only focus now is a championship ring.

But I've always thought he was a player that couldn't let things go that are beyond his control. Why else would he strut around Reliant yelling "this is my house!" last year? I can't even begin to imagine someone like Marino, Elway, or Montana being so stuck on an event like the draft that they'd carry around the emotional baggage of it.

I'm not knocking the guy, but just stating an observation. Great QBs live the moment and do not let the past hold the back. Maybe it's just a maturity thing that he has to grow into. I honestly don't know.

Silver Oak
09-28-2007, 06:37 PM
It' all relative I guess...this is the same guy two weeks ago who wouldn't shake the hands of the team he had just played.

The Ags (IMO) took vy out of the Heisman running in their game. He had an awful game, compared to his others that season, and since the voting was so close anyways, that was all it took.

Bulluck53
09-28-2007, 07:36 PM
I don't know....maybe act like a professional and say it's in the past and nothing to dwell upon. He could say his only focus now is a championship ring.

But I've always thought he was a player that couldn't let things go that are beyond his control. Why else would he strut around Reliant yelling "this is my house!" last year? I can't even begin to imagine someone like Marino, Elway, or Montana being so stuck on an event like the draft that they'd carry around the emotional baggage of it.

I'm not knocking the guy, but just stating an observation. Great QBs live the moment and do not let the past hold the back. Maybe it's just a maturity thing that he has to grow into. I honestly don't know.

In the interview he said he was mad when he didn't win it, as in the night of the awards. Different points of view I guess but I don't see how you get he is still carrying that around with him. Unless there is another quote I haven't seen where he says he still uses that at this point in his career there is no reason to assume it.

Double Barrel
09-28-2007, 07:39 PM
In the interview he said he was mad when he didn't win it, as in the night of the awards. Different points of view I guess but I don't see how you get he is still carrying that around with him. Unless there is another quote I haven't seen where he says he still uses that at this point in his career there is no reason to assume it.

That's cool, man. I haven't seen the interview, but I will definitely watch it. I was under the impression that he's still holding a grudge, which would be a bit weird, IMO. But I will reserve judgement about this one until I can see it for myself.

However, "this is my house" comments still stand. :shades:

travfrancis
09-28-2007, 08:01 PM
I just don't think it's the same thing...JMO...I doubt his Titan teammates even care...not even Lendale...

Well Brandon Jones did strike the heisman pose on the receiving end of a VY TD pass on Monday night. Not that it really matters though.

Bulluck53
09-29-2007, 05:13 AM
That's cool, man. I haven't seen the interview, but I will definitely watch it. I was under the impression that he's still holding a grudge, which would be a bit weird, IMO. But I will reserve judgement about this one until I can see it for myself.

However, "this is my house" comments still stand. :shades:

That just my opinion of it and i hope he doesn't still think about it. I may not be able to watch it, though.

White Runningback
09-29-2007, 09:47 AM
Reggie Bush should've walked over after the Rose Bowl and gave VY his trophy just like David Robinson should have after getting torched by Olajuwon in the playoff his MVP year.

Of course, I don't recall many people faulting Dream for clearly being the better player.

The Dream
09-29-2007, 11:35 AM
nothing wrong with this...this is what makes "winners" "winners".....you want your players (especially your QB) to think he's the best player on the field....that instills confidence into the whole team......

The Dream
09-29-2007, 11:46 AM

It' all relative I guess...this is the same guy two weeks ago who wouldn't shake the hands of the team he had just played.

all these things that some people hate is EXACTLY what I want out of a leader......Jordan used to not shake hands with opponents that pissed him off and was seen smoking cigars before Game 6 in the '93 Finals, Bird did some "grimey" stuff over the course of his career, DB already mentioned what Montana had to say, Deion Sanders spent the night partying before the Niners played the Chargers, because in his own words "I knew those guys weren't going to beat us"...Hakeem might not have came out and said anything against D-Rob, but deep down you know he wanted to kick his ass, lol.......arrogance in sports is one of those things that really never bothered me, because if you aren't somewhat arrogant then most of the time you are......................a loser.

chicagotexan2
09-29-2007, 01:09 PM
nothing wrong with this...this is what makes "winners" "winners".....you want your players (especially your QB) to think he's the best player on the field....that instills confidence into the whole team......

I think this is what makes "winners" "whiners". Get over it saint vy. You're having a better career, you won the nat'l title, move on. Moveon.org or whatever those other whiners prefer. I wonder if his mouthpiece has a nipple attached to it?

The Dream
09-29-2007, 01:43 PM
I think this is what makes "winners" "whiners". Get over it saint vy. You're having a better career, you won the nat'l title, move on. Moveon.org or whatever those other whiners prefer. I wonder if his mouthpiece has a nipple attached to it?

well if whining means winning then I'm all for it......

Specnatz
09-29-2007, 01:56 PM
well if whining means winning then I'm all for it......

He has yet to win anything in the nfl.

The Dream
09-29-2007, 01:57 PM
but he has proven that he can win games and lead comebacks.......and he has "won" things in the past...I think you know what I mean....VY = a winner.

Specnatz
09-29-2007, 02:01 PM
but he has proven that he can win games and lead comebacks.......and he has "won" things in the past...I think you know what I mean....VY = a winner.

So your living in the past just like he is. Congratz.

Always a reciepe for success in the future.

The Dream
09-29-2007, 02:03 PM
so far in the NFL as a starter he is a "winner"....... some of you people will find the smallest things to criticize..it's funny because after Schaub helped leading us back against Carolina we (myself included) were all saying that we have a "winning" QB....... you guys crack me up.

Vinny
09-29-2007, 02:05 PM
so far in the NFL as a starter he is a "winner"....... some of you people will find the smallest things to criticize..it's funny because after Schaub helped leading us back against Carolina we (myself included) were all saying that we have a "winning" QB....... you guys crack me up.
no use arguing with homers...they don't see reality...one reason we call them homers.

Kaiser Toro
09-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton and Jim Kelly were winners as well.

The Dream
09-29-2007, 02:22 PM
^^^but not everybody has to be the "choir boy" to be a winner...in fact most athletes that aren't choir boys turn out to win the most....

The1ApplePie
09-29-2007, 02:41 PM

The thing about this board is that Reggie or Vince could rescue their whole family from a house fire and buy them a new house and they would still say that they suck.

Vinny
09-29-2007, 03:49 PM
And what does it say about me as a person? My choice of words is in regards to one player, one person not a team. Sure most people are homers to the team they cheer and root for with passion. When you have a blind obsession with a single individual what would your word choice be? Stalker?

Everything a certain player does is god like and he does nothing wrong is pretty disturbing. That also says a lot about someone as a person. Weather it be vick or vy, does it not?
I just talk about the players that I see as "great"...I can't help that you can't see what I see...hard core homers aren't honest...go to every message board in NFL and you can see that the hard core homers are not in touch with reality.....that's just how it is.

Specnatz
09-29-2007, 03:52 PM
I just talk about the players that I see as "great"...I can't help that you can't see what I see...hard core homers aren't honest...go to every message board in NFL and you can see that the hard core homers are not in touch with reality.....that's just how it is.

That I am not disagreeing with. But that can also be said about someone who is obsessed with one player, no matter the sport.

The Dream
09-29-2007, 03:53 PM
Everything a certain player does is god like and he does nothing wrong is pretty disturbing. That also says a lot about someone as a person. Weather it be vick or vy, does it not?

you act like people are running around here calling VY an all time great or a hall of famer....all that has been said by the majority of posters who are "jock sniffers" is that he wins games, has a great will to win, and is a great leader with a lot of talent..... if you can't agree with that then you make yourself look like a "bitter" texans fan.

Specnatz
09-29-2007, 03:59 PM
you act like people are running around here calling VY an all time great or a hall of famer....all that has been said by the majority of posters who are "jock sniffers" is that he wins games, has a great will to win, and is a great leader with a lot of talent..... if you can't agree with that then you make yourself look like a "bitter" texans fan.

Not bitter what so ever. But you give no credit to anyone else for any of the wins.

VS Indy 60 yard field goal
VS NY qubert had a lot to do with it.

I think vy is a great talent but I am not giving him anything yet because he has yet to even get to the playoffs. Sorry I do not take what someone did in High School and say they are great in college until he shows it. Then the same thing for the pros. You have never heard me say that vy is not a great talent. Just because I give you crap about your fanatacism about one guy versus the team you claim to be a fan of.

You can be fan and respect a player on another team but you seem to go above and beyond to try and rub people the wrong way and I just give back to.

Like I said I will not annoint (sp) anything until he actually does it in the pros.

Kaiser Toro
09-29-2007, 04:13 PM
^^^but not everybody has to be the "choir boy" to be a winner...in fact most athletes that aren't choir boys turn out to win the most....

I have no clue what the term choir boy has to do with anything in this instance. That is unless you are attempting to paint VY as a straight up street thug to be worshipped in the present rather than the posthuomous bump reserved for other "street icons."

Maybe one of these days we will see VY's image in the sweat stains of Warren Sapp's pants so that we can have a holy relic to conduct a proper candle light vigil to the patron saint of over discussion.

TD
09-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Dan Marino, Fran Tarkenton and Jim Kelly were winners as well.

I think you missed the point, although (as is often the case with KT) I'm not sure what the point is. It's either you can be a winner without winning the SB or VY is as much a winner as these other losers who couldn't win the big one. idonno:

The Dream
09-29-2007, 04:32 PM
Not bitter what so ever. But you give no credit to anyone else for any of the wins.

VS Indy 60 yard field goal
VS NY qubert had a lot to do with it.

dude I think I give their "team" credit when I say that they are possible playoff contenders....their defense looks extremely tough this year and he had some help last year, but please understand that he IS a big part of their success.

I think you missed the point, although (as is often the case with KT) I'm not sure what the point is. It's either you can be a winner without winning the SB or VY is as much a winner as these other losers who couldn't win the big one.

lol I wasn't 100% sure on the point either....I guess you can disregard my response.

The Dream
09-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Like I said I will not annoint (sp) anything until he actually does it in the pros.

that's the thing though....the same people who aren't quick to "annoint" him are the same ones saying that Schaub is better than Vince after 3 games....what exactly does he have to do for you people's props?????...doesn't matter anywayz because whether you like it or not you'll most likely end up giving them to him and bowing before him like the football God that he is............. :doot:

Specnatz
09-29-2007, 05:06 PM
that's the thing though....the same people who aren't quick to "annoint" him are the same ones saying that Schaub is better than Vince after 3 games....what exactly does he have to do for you people's props?????...doesn't matter anywayz because whether you like it or not you'll most likely end up giving them to him and bowing before him like the football God that he is............. :doot:

Most I have seen are saying Schuab is better than Carr. Right now I am putting them equal because neither has gotten to the playoffs and neither has one a playoff game.

I have said based upon the offense that is run with the WCO, I preferr Schuab at this point.

TD
09-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Great piece on Vince.

Sounds like he had a bit of growing up to do in the NFL, but has learned from his mistakes. I thought he came across as arrogant, yet humbled at the same time (if that's possible). All in all, I thought he did well.

Bulluck53
09-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Arrogance or confidence? Either way, as long as he wins I'll take it. It was a good peice and the Heisman thing was blown way out of proportion.

TD
09-30-2007, 09:12 PM
Arrogance or confidence? Either way, as long as he wins I'll take it. It was a good peice and the Heisman thing was blown way out of proportion.

Expecting the team plane to wait on you is arrogance, plain and simple; but yeah, the Heisman comment was a non-story.

Bulluck53
09-30-2007, 09:19 PM
I don't think he said he expected it to wait on him. He knew he was late and said he was mad that it did leave. The guy is immature... I agree with that.

But if you think about it (as someone on a Titans' site pointed out).... Michael Jordan, Barry Bonds, John McEnroe, etc. were all arrogant.

I'll take arrogance if he keeps winning. I won't say anything else in this thread.

TD
09-30-2007, 09:41 PM
I don't think he said he expected it to wait on him. He knew he was late and said he was mad that it did leave.

Re-read your sentence. If he didn't expect them to wait, why was he mad? Why would he tell the coach "I'm not coming at all" when they booked him commercial? He expected the team to wait on its star.

I'll take arrogance if he keeps winning. I won't say anything else in this thread.

Which is exactly why so many athletes ARE arrogant asses. We'll put up with just about anything for the W's.

Anyway...we got sidetracked a bit. As I said, all in all, I thought he came across pretty good. It also reinforced my opinion that Fisher is a great coach.

Tulip
09-30-2007, 10:50 PM
Great piece on Vince.

I thought he came across as arrogant, yet humbled at the same time (if that's possible).

It's definitely possible. (See: Jones, Jacoby)

Bulluck53
10-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Ok I'll bite real quick

Re-read your sentence. If he didn't expect them to wait, why was he mad? Why would he tell the coach "I'm not coming at all" when they booked him commercial? He expected the team to wait on its star.

Vy wasn't an hour late to that plane. He was at the terminal when it was pulling onto the runway. Travis Henry was the one who totally missed the flight (on its way to Buffalo). If I were watching the plane leave I'd be pissed as well. And him saying he didn't feel like playing after that showed his immaturity.

Which is exactly why so many athletes ARE arrogant asses. We'll put up with just about anything for the W's.

YES!!!!!!!! :splits:

OK I'm thats my opinion and it wont change so I'm done with this thread.

SheTexan
10-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Joseph Addai is the WINNER out of that class!! JMO!!

Mr teX
10-01-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm as critical/hateful of him as anyone, mainly b/c i have reasons personal to me that go back to when he was in high school.

BUT.........

I can admit that the thing that stands out about his play is that he doesn't make mistakes (fumbles/ints) & if he does, it's only 1-2. I'm convinced that he'll be at least a solid QB in the NFL.

The question now becomes whether adams gets pieces around him to help him take the team to the next level.

WWJD
10-01-2007, 02:24 PM
I watched the piece on Vince and I think he could use a good dose of humility...I thought his mother was hysterical though talking about tearing up his butt. Seems as though once she got her life in order following her addictions that she really became a great mom to him.

Ah...I like Vince but he comes across as immature.

I do think Coach Fisher is the right man to coach Vince!

The Dream
10-01-2007, 04:41 PM
great piece last night......the heisman comment was blown WAY outta proportion and VY showed the arrogance/confidence that any winner has............

Silver Oak
10-01-2007, 06:19 PM
I lost count of the "ums" and "deys" in the interview.

Double Barrel
10-01-2007, 06:35 PM
<snip> DB already mentioned what Montana had to say, <snip>

Actually, man, I was just having fun with that Montana quote. I just made it up in the spirit of the moment. Sorry about that! :)

Brando
10-01-2007, 06:36 PM
I lost count of the "ums" and "deys" in the interview.
I know when Steve McNair came into the league he had horrible speach. It seems like he had it all the way up to the SB run. But he does talk a lot better now.

I still can't get this out my head though....

Nobody ain't gonna tell me nothing.

So who is nobody and what are they saying Vince?

Texan_Bill
10-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Vince Young

Thats as classic as Mike Vick's:
I have two weapons that I can beat you with... my arm, my legs and my head

BeerTastesLikeVictory
10-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by Vince Young

I take it he was exempt from English 101 at UT?

Texan_Bill
10-02-2007, 09:24 AM
I take it he was exempt from English 101 at Madison High School?

Fixed it for ya!!!

Seņor Stan
10-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Thats as classic as Mike Vick's:

There are three kinds of people in this world.

Those who are good and math and those who aren't.

StarStruck
10-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Fixed it for ya!!!

Do they teach English 101 at Madison?

I taped the interview but I haven't had time to watch it yet. I do wonder though if the Texans had drafted Vince if this thread would exist.

Texan_Bill
10-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Maybe, maybe not. He may have won me over some day, like another t'sip named Earl. (but than again, Earl didn't play at a rival High School).

Double Barrel
10-02-2007, 03:45 PM
I do wonder though if the Texans had drafted Vince if this thread would exist.

yeah, on the Titans' message board. ;)