PDA

View Full Version : Darius Walker?

UTColumbus
09-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Has anyone heard anything re Walker's status? I know Zabransky was released, but didn't think he had been. In the one preseason game in which he got any significant carries he looked pretty good, seems pretty logical that the Texans should call him up from the practice squad this week what with Ahman out and Dayne dinged up.

The Pencil Neck
09-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Has anyone heard anything re Walker's status? I know Zabransky was released, but didn't think he had been. In the one preseason game in which he got any significant carries he looked pretty good, seems pretty logical that the Texans should call him up from the practice squad this week what with Ahman out and Dayne dinged up.

He's still on the practice squad.

He wasn't called up.

GuerillaBlack
09-27-2007, 06:49 PM
That sucks. The Texans should have taken this opportunity for Walker to play in front of a weak team.

CloakNNNdagger
09-27-2007, 06:54 PM
That sucks. The Texans should have taken this opportunity for Walker to play in front of a weak team.

Evidently, they don't feel that he is ready for the next level competition.

ObsiWan
09-27-2007, 06:55 PM

He wasn't called up.

What is it about him that Kubiak (or Sherman, he's the O.C.) doesn't like?

The Pencil Neck
09-27-2007, 07:07 PM

I haven't really discussed it with them but I would assume that not being ready or better than other players had something to do with it.

76Texan
09-27-2007, 07:24 PM
I think Walker is very versatile, but it's probably difficult for him to break away from tacklers at this level.

He would be good as a situational back when we need 3-4 yards, either on a screen pass, a short pass out of the backfield.

They probaly wants him to work hard on hitting the hole in the middle, we can use him on draw plays as well.

But it's hard to imagine him as a playmaker in the NFL.
He's not going to make people miss, JMO.

ObsiWan
09-27-2007, 07:28 PM
I haven't really discussed it with them but I would assume that not being ready or better than other players had something to do with it.

Well its high-damned-time you did!
;o)

maddogmrb
09-27-2007, 07:32 PM
Well its high-damned-time you did!
;o)

Yeah! :fans:

mexican_texan
09-27-2007, 07:54 PM
I would guess that he'd like to have Walker eligible for the Practice Squad as long as possible.

Errant Hothy
09-27-2007, 07:56 PM

I'd be willing QB protection and blitz pick-up are two of the things they are working on with Walker. These are traditionally the hardest 2 things for a rookie to pick up.

ObsiWan
09-27-2007, 08:07 PM
I'd be willing QB protection and blitz pick-up are two of the things they are working on with Walker. These are traditionally the hardest 2 things for a rookie to pick up.

That would be my guess also. I know those shortcomings got Lundy a seat on the bench for a time last season.

thunderkyss
09-27-2007, 08:22 PM

Luckily, Kubiak doesn't think that way.

There are no weak teams, and he wants every win he can get.

The goal is the play-offs, and we're not going to experiment with our players if we don't have to.

They can see things on the practice field. Things that would make them release David Anderson, and play Jacoby Jones in Week 1. If the guy has shown enough on the practice field, I have no doubt in my mind, that he would be active, with the current status of our backfield.

pappy
09-27-2007, 08:45 PM

Again with that ...... we use two backs in this offense and both are not needed for picking up any blitz especially if one or both can receive . Also there is the slot back position (ex. reggie bush ) that darius can fill ! People get a grip this is a legitimate question especially when we talk about signing another wr because mathis is looking bad !

tulexan
09-28-2007, 09:01 AM

You are probably right about that.

swtbound07
09-28-2007, 09:01 AM
who all wishes chris taylor wasn't down? i'll bet some people would be livid if this were the same situation but with taylor instead of walker...although, it would be the perfect oppurtunity to see what you got...

i'm guessing we draft a rb next year, maybe 2nd rou................

we don't have a second rounder next year.

Marcus
09-28-2007, 09:38 AM
Someone refresh my memory.

Why was it that he went undrafted by 32 teams this year? Could it be the same reason why he can't make it off the practice squad? Possibly? No?

I know. We watched him run the ball when he played in college, at Notre Dame no less.

He just doesn't have enough quickness to overcome his lack of size. You have to block in the NFL, also. He just doesn't have it.

real
09-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Darius Walker never really impressed me with any part of his game.

He's a good interviewer though.

Errant Hothy
09-28-2007, 10:31 AM
Again with that ...... we use two backs in this offense and both are not needed for picking up any blitz especially if one or both can receive . Also there is the slot back position (ex. reggie bush ) that darius can fill ! People get a grip this is a legitimate question especially when we talk about signing another wr because mathis is looking bad !

First off, we do not alsways use 2 backs. There have already been plenty of plays run from 1 back sets.

Also it's fairly common knowledge that the hardest thing for a rookie RB to get a grip on is pass blocking/blitz pick-up. It's a combination of techniuqe and recoginition. Even the rookie RBs current playing are liabilities on blitz pick-up, but they offer enought to offset that, odds are that Walker does not.

badboy
09-28-2007, 01:19 PM
I expect Dayne and Gado to get plenty of carries against their former employer. I also expect our FB to get a carry or two and some receptions. Fake it to Dayne, QB tosses to Leach.

Austrian
09-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Leach hasn't carried the football since college. I think Dayne, Gado and Cook will all have touches Sunday.

threetoedpete
09-28-2007, 05:07 PM

He wasn't called up.

And they call that there thingy a "tell" in poker. Just a bit surpried I guess.

infantrycak
09-28-2007, 05:11 PM
Leach hasn't carried the football since college. I think Dayne, Gado and Cook will all have touches Sunday.

He carried it against Carolina once but the point remains the same--they aren't going to rush him often.

dalonestartitan
09-28-2007, 07:59 PM
I never really liked walker. He should have stayed in school. He was efective at Notre Dame, but his speed was very questionable. He should have tried to put in a monster Senior Season, to increase his draft stock. I was not suprised when he wasn't drafted.

TexansCM
09-28-2007, 09:48 PM
I never really liked walker. He should have stayed in school. He was efective at Notre Dame, but his speed was very questionable. He should have tried to put in a monster Senior Season, to increase his draft stock. I was not suprised when he wasn't drafted.

Maybe he realized not being drafted and sitting on the practice squad would be better than getting blown up in college at ND.

Hook'er
09-30-2007, 10:30 PM
We need to activate this cat week 5, if AG is still out!:

real
10-01-2007, 12:09 AM
Lundy is a better running back than Darius Walker at this point.

I'd rather bring Wali back...

Errant Hothy
10-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Lundy is a better running back than Darius Walker at this point.

I'd rather bring Wali back...

I'd rather bring Wali in, and I don't think that much of him.

Hook'er
10-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Wali sucks, thats why he was cut. I would rather resign Johnathan Wells! (or how ever you spell it) Why not activate Walker & get a look at him?

Errant Hothy
10-02-2007, 11:03 PM
Wali sucks, thats why he was cut. I would rather resign Johnathan Wells! (or how ever you spell it) Why not activate Walker & get a look at him?

Wht?

He was cut just like Wali. The only reason Walker is here and Wali is not is that Walker is pratice squad eligible and Lundy is not.

Hook'er
10-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Could we get this guy on the feild, Dayne SUCKS!:texflag: