PDA

View Full Version : Plantar Fasciitis

Fox
09-26-2007, 11:53 PM
Living in Dallas now, the only sports radio I get is Cowboys talk, and I thought I'd pass along something I found interesting. Terrence Newman (Cowboys CB) has been suffering from plantar fasciitis since training camp and had to sit the first two games and play the nickel position in the third. Mario suffered from plantar fasciitis for over half the season last year and didn't miss a game. Granted, if you lose a step at the corner position it's going to be much more evident when you get burned for a TD than when a DE is a second late to the QB, but for the people who scoffed at the injury I think it shows just how debilitating it can be to a football player. Mario is performing much better so far this year, and I think a healthy foot has a lot to do with it.

The Pencil Neck
09-27-2007, 12:06 AM
Yep.

Most of us became aware of Newman's plantar fascitis before the Cowboys preseason game against the Texans.

Carr Bombed
09-27-2007, 01:03 AM
That kind of injury has got to be devastating to a CB. It's probably more painful to play Mario's position with it (Because you have to push around giants all day), but without question, it's got to be more difficult to play CB with it. (Because you have to be able to cut and close on 4.3 runners all day)

Sucks to be Newman, He might as well look forward to next season, I don't see him being all that effective this year.

eriadoc
09-27-2007, 09:16 AM
I have been suffering through plantar fasciitis for the past few months. It sucks. It won't heal because I won't go get the big boot from the doctor and sideline myself for three weeks; I just have too much going on. I've taken to wearing my combat boots and lacing them up so that the toe is stretched upward. I can't imagine how Mario played on this last year. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but man ....

CloakNNNdagger
09-27-2007, 09:43 AM
If you remember Steve Brown CB Houston Oilers..........plantar fasciitis was the reason he had to retire from football.

NFLforher
09-27-2007, 09:37 PM
I have been suffering through plantar fasciitis for the past few months. It sucks. It won't heal because I won't go get the big boot from the doctor and sideline myself for three weeks; I just have too much going on. I've taken to wearing my combat boots and lacing them up so that the toe is stretched upward. I can't imagine how Mario played on this last year. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but man ....

I know..I've had it too. Check out Runners World magazine. In the back, you can buy these splints to wear at night that pull the toes up.

I had to wear my shoes to bed and finally got some relief with a cortisone shot to the heel.

eriadoc
09-27-2007, 10:24 PM
I know..I've had it too. Check out Runners World magazine. In the back, you can buy these splints to wear at night that pull the toes up.

I had to wear my shoes to bed and finally got some relief with a cortisone shot to the heel.

Ooh! Thanks for the tip!

GoPats
09-27-2007, 10:45 PM
It's not a good condition to have. There's not much they can do for you and the kind of beating you take playing football (with your foot twisting, arching, etc) is about the worst kind.

My brother-in-law has it pretty bad from hiking the AT back in 1995. He's got to wear real stiff-soled boots now when he's out.