PDA

View Full Version : Turf at Reliant

rvguy121
09-26-2007, 11:40 AM
I know that the turf at Reliant is installed in squares and locked in somehow. Is there any evidence to suggest that it may be causing many of the leg injuries we're sustaining? I've heard somewhere that it's less than good, and sometimes you can see the seams on television...especially on HD. Your thoughts on this?

gwallaia
09-26-2007, 11:41 AM
I have read reports from NFL players that the field at Reliant is the best in the NFL. Don't have to time look for the links right now though.

ensign_lee
09-26-2007, 11:42 AM
i'm pretty sure we use grass.

Yankee_In_TX
09-26-2007, 11:43 AM

That is correct.

And I don't know what's going on. It seems (maybe it is only my perception) the NFL has seen more injuries (period) out the gate than previous years.

powerfuldragon
09-26-2007, 11:43 AM
ha! grass.

infantrycak
09-26-2007, 11:54 AM
I have read reports from NFL players that the field at Reliant is the best in the NFL. Don't have to time look for the links right now though.

Don't have time to look it up either, but I remember the same survey of players saying they liked the surface. There was also a report about the Texans players being asked about field turf and saying they didn't want it.

As for cosmetics, it has looked pretty good this year.

rvguy121
09-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Don't have time to look it up either, but I remember the same survey of players saying they liked the surface. There was also a report about the Texans players being asked about field turf and saying they didn't want it.

I noticed the seams during the KC game, but during the last game it looked great!

TheCD
09-26-2007, 12:18 PM
That is correct.

And I don't know what's going on. It seems (maybe it is only my perception) the NFL has seen more injuries (period) out the gate than previous years.

Yeah, that's how it's seemed to me, too. Especially with sprained knees, there's been a whole bunch of them so far.

fisherflo
09-26-2007, 01:18 PM
the last time i took a tour at reliant i asked one of the groundskeepers about the grass and he told me it was imported from australia.

amazingandre
09-26-2007, 01:28 PM
aj got hurt in carolina so there goes this theory lol

Malloy
09-26-2007, 01:36 PM
No matter what people thinks about our turf, it's got to be better than Miami. Honestly, a 100+ mil. business should NOT have to insert a freaking baseball court in one corner of the football field!! If that's the dedication of the owner, it's time Miami lost their team!

Hervoyel
09-26-2007, 01:39 PM

You are correct. My objections have always been aesthetic and this year I haven't found much to complain about (though I would still like them to have the blue end zones, those were cool)

rvguy121
09-26-2007, 02:20 PM
No matter what people thinks about our turf, it's got to be better than Miami. Honestly, a 100+ mil. business should NOT have to insert a freaking baseball court in one corner of the football field!! If that's the dedication of the owner, it's time Miami lost their team!

Very true...and there is a baseball diamond in the middle of the field at Oakland! LOL It must really suck to play on that field:shades:

Bohunk
09-26-2007, 03:03 PM
Last year we had issues with the field being less than good in the south end zone area due to the fact that it never gets any direct sunlight. I haven't heard if they fixed the problem by adding new grass there for every home game, but the Orange parking lot seems to be growing a lot of "field" these days...

AnthonyE
09-26-2007, 04:49 PM
I think the grass at Reliant looks better than most.

And, I don't know. Maybe. (in relation to the question at hand.)

Texan_Bill
09-26-2007, 04:57 PM

I remember that as well... They even commented that towards the end of the season (as they are forced to pain the dirt), the footing is still very good.

brakos82
09-27-2007, 07:14 PM
and there is a baseball diamond in the middle of the field at Oakland! LOL It must really suck to play on that field:shades:

That was screwing up the FG kickers whenever they were in the dirt.

ObsiWan
09-27-2007, 07:41 PM
Me thinks you're just looking for problems... We have good grass, though to tell the truth, I've smoked better.

Yeah, well you kinda go back to the 60s.
;o)

CloakNNNdagger
09-27-2007, 09:26 PM
As of the last NFLPA survey (2004), (http://www.athleticturf.net/athleticturf/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=148868)Reliant Stadium was rated #4.

threetoedpete
09-28-2007, 03:49 AM

Thier feild is state of the art. They parked the staium wrong in term of the sun's angle in the fall. But the turf is first class.

I've seen guys get hurt just by stepping wrong. Saw Ed Hindee's son break his leg at Rhodes just by pulling out on a rolll out play. No one hit him, just stepped wrong and broke it on that astro turf. Saw Duce shread his knee on that crap at the Super dome. You had a point with the AtroDome. I think you're joisting at windmills with the turff at relaint.

BTW, the reason they don't tear down the dome....they gotta 60 million dollar bond still left on it.

Mean Machine
09-29-2007, 12:13 AM
The field has looked really nice for our 1st 2 games. I noticed last week that the General and Anna Megan were doing a chron.com video from Reliant, it was like either Wednesday or Thursday, and they had yet to even lay the field down. I think the 'the pallets are gonna grow together" is just a bunch of hooey, given the amount of sun light and time. My guess is that they are just rotating the fields in and out more than they have in the past.
I'm just guessing....and YES, the BLUE endzones looked great, and since the grass doesn't really grow in there, I say paint 'em blue!

whiskeyrbl
09-29-2007, 07:47 AM
Someone who knows how ought to make a petition to sign for the Blue End Zones. They look great.:fans: :d: