PDA

View Full Version : Anderson and Dreeson fill roster spots

Errant Hothy
09-25-2007, 03:25 PM
per:
www.kffl.com/team/18/nfl

Texans | Team to re-sign D. Anderson
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 09:23:37 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans will sign free-agent WR David Anderson (Texans).

I'm curious as to who else Rick Smith brings in.

HuttoKarl
09-25-2007, 03:27 PM
per:
www.kffl.com/team/18/nfl

Good to see David Anderson back. I hope he gets some chances to shine.

real
09-25-2007, 03:27 PM
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

My Boi!!!!!!!!!

powerfuldragon
09-25-2007, 03:28 PM
is he any good?

real
If he gets a shot, he will not let us down...

I love this guys game...

gjmac2
per:
www.kffl.com/team/18/nfl

That's interesting. I thought it would be McCardell or Bethel Johnson, or maybe even Williams from the practice squad.

Is Anderson an experienced punt returner?

powerfuldragon
09-25-2007, 03:30 PM
not much here: http://www.nfl.com/players/davidanderson/profile?id=AND179969

1 catch for 27 yards against the pats...

Scooter
09-25-2007, 03:36 PM
i really like getting anderson back, i feel he's the most sure handed receiver now on the roster and from what little we've seen of him he runs very tight routes. he's got a little punt return experience, they'll be handled either by anderson or winn.

gtexan02
09-25-2007, 03:38 PM
I was hoping for McCardell too. David Anderson = that one guy on the team that never plays that everyone thinks it a sure fire probowler

See Antwaan Peek for another example

Leahmic223
09-25-2007, 03:42 PM
He's not going to drop many balls and we are probably not going to get many 30 yard passes without Dre or Jacoby. I guess Davis is capable but if he does any thing good Hall will be on him and Hall isn't so overrated that he can't stop Davis.

Errant Hothy
09-25-2007, 03:42 PM
I was hoping for McCardell too. David Anderson = that one guy on the team that never plays that everyone thinks it a sure fire probowler

Can we add Chris Taylor, Darius Walker and Fred Bennett to that list?

Shaft75
09-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Didn't Anderson cough up the ball in a big game last year?

real
09-25-2007, 03:48 PM
He coughed up a ball against the Bucs in pre-season.

Scooter
09-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Didn't Anderson cough up the ball in a big game last year?

that'd probably be either walter or cook. anderson was only targetted once last season (that i can recall) and turned an 8yd pass into a 27yd gain against the patriots.

Shaft75
09-25-2007, 03:51 PM
He coughed up a ball against the Bucs in pre-season.

That cost us the game.........

:jk:

Specnatz
09-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Andre davis showed he has talent in the 4th Quarter of the Colts game. I am expecting him to do something impressive.

HOU-TEX
09-25-2007, 03:57 PM
Kubiak is huge on players that can contribute to special teams. IMO, that was one of the main reason's he was brought in before the others. IIRC, Bethal is specifically a returner.

Of course his knowledge of the playbook is a plus too.

I'm happy for him.:texflag:

TexanExile
09-25-2007, 04:28 PM

AMEN. You mean getting flagged for stupid, pointless personal fouls every single game isn't a sign of quality? :penalty: I forgot. But we were supposed to overlook that because he had such a high "motor." I was glad to see that guy go.

This is an OK move...nothing earth-shattering, but not much else can be done on short notice after Game 3. My hopes are really with A. Davis stepping up, not exaggerated expectations for Anderson, McCardelderly, or anyone else who wasn't good enough to get picked up after the Texans cut them.

HOU-TEX
09-25-2007, 04:36 PM
FWIW, we've brought Dreessen back as well.:)

Houston has re-signed wide receiver David Anderson and tight end Joel Dreessen.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3681

drewmar74
09-25-2007, 04:47 PM

I guess that answers the question of "What to do with the other roster spot?"

Andrew6
09-25-2007, 04:50 PM
I didn't know dressen could play DT. I figured thats the position we are in need of right now not another TE

gjmac2
09-25-2007, 04:51 PM

I guess this makes sense. The Defense for the most part is pretty healthy, so they needed a little more offense.

I am surprised that they decided to bring back Dreessen and not a RB like Lundy.

HOU-TEX
09-25-2007, 04:54 PM
I didn't know dressen could play DT. I figured thats the position we are in need of right now not another TE

With all due respect to Killings, he was only re-signed due to TJ's injury. Tj is now healthy so another DT isn't really needed. Killings would've stayed in the rotation if he remained healthy due to good play on the field.:cool:

The Pencil Neck
09-25-2007, 04:54 PM

Our original rotation was Amobi, TJ, Maddux, and Zgonina. TJ went down, Dreessen was let go and Killings re-signed. When TJ came back, I was surprised that they didn't cut Killings.

This doesn't surprise me that much although I wouldn't have been surprised if they had gone looking at another RB.

Andrew6
09-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Defense isn't horribly knocked up but when your back up DT is in the hospital and that DT backs up both of your starting DT's I'd think about activating one.

Andrew6
09-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Defense isn't horribly knocked up but when your back up DT is in the hospital and that DT backs up both of your starting DT's I'd think about activating one.

Nevermind I suppose I'll go ahead and retract this.

HOU-TEX
09-25-2007, 04:56 PM

The Pencil Neck

He was the backup of the backup DT.

Vinny
I'm glad to see Anderson back too. I'd really would like to see him in the slot with AJ and Jones on the outside in 3wr packages down the road. He has some quickness and pretty good change of direction ability without losing a step.

HOU-TEX
09-25-2007, 05:02 PM
I'm glad to see Anderson back too. I'd really would like to see him in the slot with AJ and Jones on the outside in 3wr packages down the road. He has some quickness and pretty good change of direction ability without losing a step.

The only problem I have with him is tha fact he's kind of short. I think he's like 5'9" or 5'10". Normally that doesn't bode well for an NFL WR.

:I said normally. I understand there's a select few exceptions to the rule::splits:

AnthonyE
09-25-2007, 05:06 PM
I remember I liked him, he made some pretty good catches before.

Errant Hothy
09-25-2007, 05:06 PM
This doesn't surprise me that much although I wouldn't have been surprised if they had gone looking at another RB.

Maybe this boades well for Dayne's and Green's status against Atlanta?

dtran04
09-25-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm thinking lots of 2 TE packages like the end of the Colts game. Putzier and Daniels will be the 3rd receiver so to speak.

The Pencil Neck
09-25-2007, 05:09 PM
Maybe this boades well for Dayne's and Green's status against Atlanta?

I saw something on ESPN a little earlier that said that Dayne is almost definitely going to start and Green is a pretty good possibility as well.

Unfortunately, I was heads down working and I wasn't able to pay much attention.

drewmar74
09-25-2007, 05:33 PM
Is it possible to feed Dayne (no joke intended) the ball enough to get him into rythm? Seems to me that if he can just be serviceable on Sunday we'll be in alright shape.

The whole Gado / Cookie "running back by mediocrity" thing left me a bit traumatized and I really, really don't want to have to watch that again.

PapaL
09-25-2007, 05:40 PM
^^ I hope thats the case. As much as I dislike Dayne being on the roster, Gado didn't do much last week. We need someone to step up and move the chains while Green is on the bench; be it Dayne, Gado or someone new.

Goldensilence
09-25-2007, 05:43 PM
Is it possible to feed Dayne (no joke intended) the ball enough to get him into rythm? Seems to me that if he can just be serviceable on Sunday we'll be in alright shape.

The whole Gado / Cookie "running back by mediocrity" thing left me a bit traumatized and I really, really don't want to have to watch that again.

If Dayne is healthy that's what i expect early in the game. Fact of the matter is we're probably going to have to win a few ugly games the next few weeks while we get our WR healthy.

This is time for Mathis and Davis to step their games up. If Kubiak thinks he sees Ed McCaffery in Waters well now is the time for him to arrive. The pressure isn't just on one or a few people stepping up. This entire team as a hole has to if we're going to stay afloat until AJ and JJ get back.

Maybe this is wishful thinking but if we get a few wins in the next weeks ...we'll have legs on two players that could give usthat extra healthy push into a possibly playoff berth.

drewmar74
09-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Maybe this is wishful thinking but if we get a few wins in the next weeks ...we'll have legs on two players that could give usthat extra healthy push into a possibly playoff berth.

AJ & JJ with rested legs, no major nicks, and ready to go? I'll take it as long as we can get some W's in the meantime.

Can we not feed Ron for a few days prior to the game? Then maybe have a buffet we could wheel from end zone to end zone? He'd be UNSTOPPABLE!

Vinny
09-25-2007, 05:56 PM
If Kubiak thinks he sees Ed McCaffery in Waters well now is the time for him to arrive.http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/rro/lowres/rron148l.jpg

Hervoyel
09-25-2007, 05:59 PM

I think it's not only "possible", it's damned near necessary. The only way you get results from Ron Dayne is to feed him the ball enough to get him going. Splitting carries makes him less effective. Spot duty makes him less effective.

That's what I believe anyway.

Lucky
09-25-2007, 06:19 PM
How many teams are in good shape when they're down to the 3rd string RB? It wasn't Tony Hollings bad, where a fumble was just a handoff away. It was a tough spot, and I felt the coaching staff did the best they could in the situation.

BTW, in Gado's last game vs. the Falcons, he rushed for 102 yards & scored 3 TDs. Maybe he could use a few more carries and find a rhythm.

drewmar74
09-25-2007, 06:23 PM
How many teams are in good shape when they're down to the 3rd string RB? It wasn't Tony Hollings bad, where a fumble was just a handoff away. It was a tough spot, and I felt the coaching staff did the best they could in the situation.

I agree completely.

I don't know what else we could have realistically expected against the defending SB Champs. So said, it just wasn't any fun to watch.

I had sooooo freakin' enjoyed the first two games given our history that watching that running game go that far south so fast was hard to stomach.

AnthonyE
09-25-2007, 06:23 PM
I think it's not only "possible", it's damned near necessary. The only way you get results from Ron Dayne is to feed him the ball enough to get him going. Splitting carries makes him less effective. Spot duty makes him less effective.

Agreed, Dayne only gets better as the game goes on.

BigBull17
09-25-2007, 08:16 PM

And Green kind of excels at limited touches and 3rd down type carries/ touches.

barrett
09-26-2007, 05:28 AM
How many teams are in good shape when they're down to the 3rd string RB? >>It was a tough spot, and I felt the coaching staff did the best they could in the situation. >> Maybe (Gado) could use a few more carries and find a rhythm.

That's something that Kubiak commented on as well. I think he said that Gado only got 5 or 6 carries and it's hard to get into a rhythm with that few carries. I think the same applies for Dayne in that more carries will tend to lend to better productivity.

I do agree with the thinking that Green doesn't seem to need as much to get into a rhythm.

I'm not very excited about the thought of having to use Gado in a game but I'm not so sure that he wouldn't do better with a few more carries.

gtexan02
09-26-2007, 10:04 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-texansmoves&prov=ap&type=lgns

Pretty lame in my opinion. I understand the signing of Anderson, but Dreesen? If there is one thing we DONT need at this point, its another tight end.

lets see, our WR crew:
Johnson - Out for weeks
Jones - Out for weeks
Walter - Good for 1-2 catches per week
Mathis - Special teamer trying to transition
Davis - Dislocated finger

So instead of bringing in 2 WRs, we sign another tight end? That makes:
Daniels
Putzier
Bruener
Dreesen

Why do we need 4 tight ends?

And to add to the problems, why didn't we bring in another back? Its clear that both Dayne and Green are hurting, and I for one do not want Gado and Cook to be my featured running combo. I'd rather see Lundy

Errant Hothy
09-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Already a thread about this:
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42630

bigbrewster2000
09-26-2007, 10:34 AM

Pretty lame in my opinion. I understand the signing of Anderson, but Dreesen? If there is one thing we DONT need at this point, its another tight end.

lets see, our WR crew:
Johnson - Out for weeks
Jones - Out for weeks

Daniels
Putzier
Bruener
Dreesen

And to add to the problems, why didn't we bring in another back? Its clear that both Dayne and Green are hurting, and I for one do not want Gado and Cook to be my featured running combo. I'd rather see Lundy

Dreesen was signed for special teams purposes. I would not look into it much further than that.

HoustonFrog
09-26-2007, 10:35 AM
I know there has been some questions on Dreesen but the way I saw this is that Kubes didn't think there were any receivers he wanted to bring in additionally that could do the job and Dreesen is kind of a hybrid so he might be able to play him almost as WR off the line at times.

painekiller
09-26-2007, 11:34 AM
I know there has been some questions on Dreesen but they I saw this is that Kubes didn't think there were any receivers he wanted to bring in additionally that could do the job and Dreesen is kind of a hybrid so he might be able to play him almost as WR off the line at times.

Dreesen was dropped when they picked up Killings to give them insurance for Travis Johnson and Okoye when they both where nursing injuries. Dreesen had been the guy blocking on the kick off team in the position Killings got hurt in.

With TJ and Okoye both back to health it was likely the team brought Dreesen back anyway. A TE size and speed combo was what was needed by the special teams, not a DT.

painekiller
09-26-2007, 11:40 AM

lets see, our WR crew:
Johnson - Out for weeks
Jones - Out for weeks

Daniels
Putzier
Bruener
Dreesen

So how many WRs did we suit up on any game prior to the injury? Think about it, Davis had not suited until the injury to AJ. The team was only suiting up 4 WRs, and 3 of them had to play special teams. Now look at the TE that had been suited up. Dreesen was on kick coverage and kick return teams, I believe, but I could be mistaken. Plus he is your back up long snapper in case Pittman gets hurt.

HOU-TEX
09-26-2007, 11:54 AM
So how many WRs did we suit up on any game prior to the injury? Think about it, Davis had not suited until the injury to AJ. The team was only suiting up 4 WRs, and 3 of them had to play special teams. Now look at the TE that had been suited up. Dreesen was on kick coverage and kick return teams, I believe, but I could be mistaken. Plus he is your back up long snapper in case Pittman gets hurt.

Off-topic: Why the heck did Pittman grab that punt that could have rolled another 5 yards minimum? What a bonehead. lol

Eh..probably wouldn't have mattered anyways.:texflag:

Specnatz
09-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Off-topic: Why the heck did Pittman grab that punt that could have rolled another 5 yards minimum? What a bonehead. lol

Eh..probably wouldn't have mattered anyways.:texflag:

He knows it was a boneheaded move, you could tell by the expression he had after he did it. Mistakes happen.

As far as Dayne goes, there are a lot of backs who need to have at least 15 touches to get it going. I think Gado is the same way from what I have seen.

beerlover
09-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Dreesen was signed for special teams purposes. I would not look into it much further than that.

Kubiak really liked Dreesen in Fall camp & can lock up a long term roster spot w/performance, excellent blocker with better hands than Bruener. Anderson is a guner on special teams while Dressen fills Killings spot (special teams).

HoustonFrog
09-26-2007, 01:16 PM
Dreesen was dropped when they picked up Killings to give them insurance for Travis Johnson and Okoye when they both where nursing injuries. Dreesen had been the guy blocking on the kick off team in the position Killings got hurt in.

With TJ and Okoye both back to health it was likely the team brought Dreesen back anyway. A TE size and speed combo was what was needed by the special teams, not a DT.

Well makes sense. I had responded the way I did because I saw many question not bringing in a second WR too. Looks like the kid is a jack of all trades.

Errant Hothy
09-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Kubiak really liked Dreesen in Fall camp & can lock up a long term roster spot w/performance, excellent blocker with better hands than Bruener. Anderson is a guner on special teams while Dressen fills Killings spot (special teams).

I wouldn't be surprised if the TE corps next year is OD, Putz and Deesen.

Special teams play is the key to these two signings, me thinks.

76Texan
09-26-2007, 05:07 PM
There are a lots of good response in this thread as to why Anderson & Dreesen, I just want to add a fews.

I've read a lot of nice things about both guys, how they are good all-around guys with good hands and upside. Anderson as a solid possession backup receiver and Dreesen might even become a starter in the NFL.

Pre-cut, I thought Dreesen might not stick, because it's hard to see us carrying 4 TEs.

But after watching the Texans lining up in so many 2 TE sets, and even 3 TEs once in a while, I can see why Kubiak was seriously considering Joel.

I do like Cedric, he gave a lot of efforts.
Like on the JJ KO TD return, he made a heck of a block.
Others did too, including O.D. throwing one coverage guy into another, eliminating the last threat (A.V. had no chance, so he doesn't count) to stop Jacoby.
* I thought I'd give the guys on ST some recognitions well-deserved.*

I like Bethel, too.
But with Dexter Wynn another reliable return man, he might not fit real well, considering the negatives that surrounds his career.

"Johnson served primarily a speed specialist for the Patriots. He was known for several long-range diving catches, as well as two kick returns for touchdowns. In 2004 & 2005, he won the Super Bowl with the New England Patriots

He was traded to the Saints on June 5, 2006 for defensive tackle Johnathan Sullivan, who was drafted sixth overall by the Saints in 2003. Johnson was criticized in New England for his ego and his work ethic. And Saints coach Sean Payton questioned Johnson's "conditioning, his stamina and endurance" during the preseason.

Johnson was cut from the Saints before the 2006 regular season began after injuring his knee in a preseason game and then was signed by the Minnesota Vikings on October 10th, 2006.

On March 8, 2007 he signed a one year contract with the Philadelphia Eagles. He was released on June 5th after he failed a physical."

badboy
09-26-2007, 05:24 PM
I liked what I saw of Dreesen and had him to make the team. Called that right then he got released.

Rex King
09-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Anderson reminds me of Wes Welker - same kind of small, shifty slot receiver/PR. Probably not as fast, but he's got some moves. And no, it's not just because he's white.