PDA

View Full Version : Green injury not "serious"

Errant Hothy
09-24-2007, 03:03 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5160059.html

"It's nothing bad," Green said, "just swelling. I'm taking it one day at a time."

Green injured his left knee Sept. 16 against the Carolina Panthers. He tried to play through the pain Sunday against the Colts, but left the game at the start of the second quarter.

Green, 30, said he does not know if he will be able to play against Atlanta this week.

Leahmic223
09-24-2007, 03:10 PM
I guess it is some good news, if he decides to sit at least Darius will probably get his shot.

Spike
09-24-2007, 03:25 PM
It is a long 16 game season. As much as I hope both Green and Andre can play next Sunday, I am happy to play without them both for two or three games if it means that they will make a full recovery and be healthy for the remaining 11 or 12 games.

tulexan
09-24-2007, 03:35 PM
I guess it is some good news, if he decides to sit at least Darius will probably get his shot.

I'd like to see Darius get his shot regardless of whether Ahman is healthy or injured. He is one of the only running backs that we have that is healthy and Gado offers nothing to the offense.

eriadoc
09-24-2007, 03:41 PM
I'd like to see Darius get his shot regardless of whether Ahman is healthy or injured. He is one of the only running backs that we have that is healthy and Gado offers nothing to the offense.

I'd contend that he offers less than nothing, after yesterday. If you can't use Gado yesterday, then you can never use him.

Hervoyel
09-24-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm kind of confused with the whole "How come Gado is entirely useless" thing too. It almost seemed to me like they could have just lined up Mark Bruener and got that much running game out of him. Gado and Cook were roughly equal to having no running game at all.

I'd activate Walker and see if we get one of those "Rookie's got some moves" days against Atlanta. Sometimes giving a highly motivated rookie a shot pays off big. Remember when Domanick Davis appeared from out of nowhere. One minute he's being drafted for returns and 3rd downs, the next minute it's like "Hey, that little rookie is our best running back!"

Give Walker the shot.

Leahmic223
09-24-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm kind of confused with the whole "How come Gado is entirely useless" thing too. It almost seemed to me like they could have just lined up Mark Bruener and got that much running game out of him. Gado and Cook were roughly equal to having no running game at all.

I'd activate Walker and see if we get one of those "Rookie's got some moves" days against Atlanta. Sometimes giving a highly motivated rookie a shot pays off big. Remember when Domanick Davis appeared from out of nowhere. One minute he's being drafted for returns and 3rd downs, the next minute it's like "Hey, that little rookie is our best running back!"

Give Walker the shot.

Yeah I'd give him a shot just for that reason...I mean you never know.

Look at what he did in preseason, he made the most out of the small carries he received...I mean you just never know look at Taylor last year. I say give the guy a shot, if Green is out for Atlanta what else do we have?

Hervoyel
09-24-2007, 04:12 PM
If Green is out for Atlanta then you have Dayne coming back from an injury and Gado. You're one bad play away from having the same non-existent running game that we had this week. I don't see how you don't go into that game with Dayne, Gado, and Walker all active.

Vinny
09-24-2007, 04:12 PM
You know your 3rd running back is bad when Jameel Cook gets 1 less carry but more yards than Green's back up Gado.

Leahmic223
09-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Is Lundy still out there? IMO he was always better than Gado at least.

Hervoyel
09-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Seriously Vinny, that's the truth.

It's almost like the reverse of the "Start somebody else besides Faggins because you never know, they might be better" except this pretty much got proven yesterday with the "Jameel Cook Test"

If Jameel Cook can run for more yards then tailback "x" then said tailback needs to be replaced. Try ANYBODY at this point.

Pantherstang84
09-24-2007, 04:26 PM
I'm certainly not opposed to giving the kid a shot. What can it possibly hurt?

drewmar74
09-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Is Lundy still out there? IMO he was always better than Gado at least.

I think he is still out there. There were rumblings that he'd go to Green Bay but I don't think that ever materialized (at least he's not listed on their roster).

I'd leave Lundy on the shelf for now, though, and at least contemplate trying to do something with Walker as opposed to Gado. I mean, if you're going to stick with Gado, you may as well sign me for the minimum salary. I couldn't do much worse and I'd be a darn sight cheaper.

Leahmic223
09-24-2007, 04:31 PM
I think he is still out there. There were rumblings that he'd go to Green Bay but I don't think that ever materialized (at least he's not listed on their roster).

I'd leave Lundy on the shelf for now, though, and at least contemplate trying to do something with Walker as opposed to Gado. I mean, if you're going to stick with Gado, you may as well sign me for the minimum salary. I couldn't do much worse and I'd be a darn sight cheaper.

Yeah, i'd replace Lundy with Gado though. He's the only guy I can see getting in here from FA and getting in right away.

Texans_Chick
09-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Seriously Vinny, that's the truth.

It's almost like the reverse of the "Start somebody else besides Faggins because you never know, they might be better" except this pretty much got proven yesterday with the "Jameel Cook Test"

If Jameel Cook can run for more yards then tailback "x" then said tailback needs to be replaced. Try ANYBODY at this point.

Actually this is sort of a putting things in perspective deal.

Texans fans think it is bad when Jameel Cook loses games in his roll as a fullback.

No, that's not bad.

Bad is when Cook is your emergency running back and gets more yards than the third stringer he replaced.

As bad as it is having two playmakers injured (I worry that the injuries to AJ and JJ are worse than being currently reported), the running game is killing me because I don't think it is as plug and play as the WRs are.

Green hasn't played an entire game yet.

And it's only week 4 coming up.

And he is the only running back this year who has ran worth anything.

And he has vague "knee swelling" thing. Yeah, better than a torn or broken whazits, but swollen knees is not what you want to be hearing about your 30year old running back who is the only guy who has looked worth anything.

As good short term as the passing game has looked, the Texans really do need to be able to run the ball to make this offense hum. They can get away with using the tight ends more in the passing game (one of the better coached parts of the team, IMO), but the passing plays don't work as well when teams don't have to respect the run. Linebackers can drop into coverage easier (like in that redzone interception for example).

The running back situation is my number 1 concern with the team right now. Yeah, the defensive liabilities are obvious, but if the Texans can't run and have to pass, this could get ugly.

How many playmakers can a team lose and still make plays? Some on the radio think that the Texans, even with injuries are going to cakewalk through ATL and Miami, and I am guessing those teams seeing an injured Texans team on the schedule and sense blood in the water.

Are we back to the previous year's running back experiment? Last year, the Texans running backs were too young. And this year, they appear to be too old and injured or just not having it.

Hervoyel
09-24-2007, 04:41 PM
I am so thinking that right now TC. Atlanta and Miami were looking like sweet gimmies before we found out AJ was down and they were even looking like solid wins after we knew he'd miss it (but before the latest rash of hurt hit us).

Now they look like games we end up looking back on and thinking we left wins on the table because we were too beat up to take them.

Atlanta scares me. They're losing games while piling up yards. I don't want these guys to learn how to win during the week we visit them.

gjmac2
09-24-2007, 04:45 PM
How many playmakers can a team lose and still make plays? Some on the radio think that the Texans, even with injuries are going to cakewalk through ATL and Miami, and I am guessing those teams seeing an injured Texans team on the schedule and sense blood in the water.

I agree. I think Atlanta will be more than ready to:

1. Get their first victory
2. Deny Schaub a chance to beat his old team.

Add to this the real potential for a Texans letdown after an emotional game Sunday, and it spells T-R-O-U-B-L-E in my book.

Hervoyel
09-24-2007, 05:04 PM
I wonder how Domanick Williams knee is feeling these day?

Not really, just kidding.

drewmar74
09-24-2007, 05:12 PM
The whole "nothing major - just a swollen knee" reminds me of DW. It's more than just a little disconcerting. Sounds a lot like "It's just a flesh wound!"

I sincerely hope that I'm wrong but it just sounds that way. Just sayin'...

With regards to ATL, I was watching them yesterday and noticed two things:

1) Joey Harrington didn't look that bad
2) They actually have some weapons on offense including (please don't fall out of your chair) WR's. Turns out that Vick leaving had a similar effect on their WR's that Carr leaving had on our O-line.

I don't think they'll be a gimme game. Not at all. Especially not if we're trotting out practice squad caliber players. Of course, that's a lot of what we did yesterday and stuck around with one of the top 3 teams in the league.

Meh, we'll see. I still think we'll win but I'm anticipating some more gray hairs.

Texans_Chick
09-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Does a running back with knee pain saying it is only swelling remind you of a knight saying it is only a flesh wound?

hadaad
09-24-2007, 05:13 PM
It reminds me of a name-shifting ball-toter we had a year ago. I, for one, am worried regardless of what the doctors or players say.

Hervoyel
09-24-2007, 05:16 PM
I didn't mean to imply that this was like Domanick Davis/Williams. I was just idly wondering if he was feeling any better and was interested in a game check or two. Then of course I laughed and shook my head at my own folly for thinking such a thing.

I wonder what RB's are out there right now. At one point there were a few guys looking for teams and waiting for phone calls. The Texans might be doing some shopping if things don't go as intended.

Errant Hothy
09-24-2007, 05:16 PM
I think you are all jumping the gun. Green's swelling was due to contact not activity.

hollywood_texan
09-24-2007, 05:18 PM
I was pretty critical of the Green signing, and this is why.

The Texans took the chance and it doesn't look like it is going to work out.

This next offseason, they are going to have to do something about the RB position and defensive secondary without using bandaids.

Those two positions have to be improved for this team to really compete in the AFC.

dalemurphy
09-24-2007, 05:24 PM

This next offseason, they are going to have to do something about the RB position and defensive secondary without using bandaids.

Those two positions have to be improved for this team to really compete in the AFC.

Of course they'll be addressed in the off-season. We have fewer holes and a lot of cap room this year. Last year, we couldn't afford to do much- especially after spending money and picks to get a QB.

Specnatz
09-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Does a running back with knee pain saying it is only swelling remind you of a knight saying it is only a flesh wound?

First a Animal house referance and now a Monty Python referance, you are on a serious roll.

:user:

drewmar74
09-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Two words: Corey Dillon

:sos:

Just kidding.

Silver Oak
09-24-2007, 06:15 PM

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/imagemanager/images/51943/monty_python_2__limbless_black_knight.jpg

Rex King
09-24-2007, 06:18 PM

Yep. The good news is that those two positions look really deep for next year's draft.

Think the Chargers will trade LT? I mean he looks over the hill. If not, then LJ from the Chiefs?

Just kidding.

pappy
09-24-2007, 06:19 PM
No way once a rb gets a bad knee like this it is basically over they should retire . Green is only going to hurt the team by hanging on only to bow out after three hand offs .

False Start
09-24-2007, 06:24 PM
This is real good to hear . If Green would have been out for an extended amount of time , that would have really hurt us . I just hope this isn't a reoccurring thing with him .

Hardcore Texan
09-24-2007, 06:46 PM
my inner monologue:

"Rick Smith......paging Rick Smith.....we need someone to bail us out of the knee-high sh*! we are in....please pick up a courtesy phone"

Texans_Chick
09-24-2007, 06:51 PM
This is real good to hear . If Green would have been out for an extended amount of time , that would have really hurt us . I just hope this isn't a reoccurring thing with him .

This is what we know:

Green has a history with Green Bay of being nicked up, day-to-day kinda of thing. And has performed well even with that sort of stuff going on. Sherman knows that history.

Running backs over 30 sometimes succeed, but often times not so much.

With DD, the team seemed to make plans assuming that he was coming back and were in a bad situation when he wasn't. The team said they learned from that.

Publicly they are supporting both Dayne and Gado. Publicly they supported their young players last year, until they didn't.

Ron Dayne looked good at the end of last season. He also managed to injure himself during warmups before the Browns game.

Kubiak said Gado was rusty, that he can play better, and that the play calling didn't give him enough chances to get into the flow of things.

The Texans looked horrible last year when they relied on inexperienced running backs in their scheme last year. At some point, they decided that they had to go to plan B and got two guys who hadn't been in camp.

The Boselli Rule: You can't take what the Texans say about injuries at face value. That you get as much information about the injury that you can, and make your own assessment if you want a realistic estimate.

So what does this tell us:

The Texans aren't afraid of Plan Bs.

But they also may not learned that you can't assume players will be back, that you have to plan as though they will not be.

Texans_Chick
09-24-2007, 06:52 PM
The whole "nothing major - just a swollen knee" reminds me of DW. It's more than just a little disconcerting. Sounds a lot like "It's just a flesh wound!"

I swear I hadn't read your post when I put mine up.

I guess it really has that only a flesh wound feel of it.

shinerbock_girl
09-24-2007, 06:56 PM
What i feel confident with is how the Texans held their own against the Colts and even with all our own turnovers and injuries...Hopefully they learned from them and Atlanta will be easier then Indy, so i'd rather we rest out hurt guys and see if the others can step up again.

Hervoyel
09-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Two words: Corey Dillon

:sos:

Just kidding.

Why?

His first year was 1997 and he's played in 150 games. Ahman Green entered the league in 1998 and he's played in 129 games. Sure Dillon has more miles but he's consistently produced. IF for any reason we lost Green for the year I'd consider signing a Corey Dillon or a Stephen Davis (1996 and 143 games) to a one year "Merc" deal to fill the hole. It's either that or bring up Walker (not opposed to that either if they think he can do it) or sign some other "never was".

At this point it's either a "has been", "never was", or "wanna be". There aren't any quality unemployed backs just sitting around wishing they could carry the ball for someone.

I'd work him out tomorrow if I thought Dayne Couldn't go next week. Of course they do think Dayne can go next week so it's a moot point.

Runner
09-24-2007, 10:28 PM

C'mon you two - the Texans staff said it wasn't that bad. So how bad could it be? :shades:

infantrycak
09-24-2007, 10:31 PM
No way once a rb gets a bad knee like this it is basically over they should retire . Green is only going to hurt the team by hanging on only to bow out after three hand offs .

Good lord talk about over generalizing. Not all knee injuries are the same. Unless they are flat out lying--the MRI showed nothing structural and Kubiak said it is a nagging bruise from the KC game. Should AJ retire too?

drewmar74
09-24-2007, 11:07 PM
C'mon you two - the Texans staff said it wasn't that bad. So how bad could it be? :shades:

It may not be that bad. He may be alright come Sunday or one week from Sunday. I'm just saying that it doesn't sound all that great - especially considering his age.

I'm over 30 as well and I can tell you that the nicks don't heal that fast. 8-10 weeks in the gym these days is often cut to 5-7 weeks because the strains, pulls, etc. just don't heal as fast. So even with a tremendous athlete like Ahman it's hard to feel confident about injuries (especially soft tissue ones) because stuff just doesn't heal that fast anymore once you get past about 25.

He may be fine. I pray he is because I dig Ahman and loved him when he was working for Favre in GB and I still like the signing. This is a two back league, though, and our number two and three hardly strike fear into the hearts of anyone.

Finally, I think that with all of the injuries we may be seeing the fans lagging one year behind the team. Last year, if things went to sh*t on the field, you could see the team's collective heads and shoulders start to sag. This year, they don't panic and "keep chopping wood." On the other hand, I think that perhaps the fan base still has some of that "Here we go again" in them. Myself included.

I do trust Kubiak and Rick to do the right thing (they've rarely missed so far) so I guess I should just chill out, shut up, and wait to bust out the rally chickens for Atlanta.

checo446
09-25-2007, 12:23 AM
Of course they'll be addressed in the off-season. We have fewer holes and a lot of cap room this year. Last year, we couldn't afford to do much- especially after spending money and picks to get a QB.

Michael Turner should would look nice in a Texans uniform next year...

2BCF
09-25-2007, 12:55 AM
Tiki Barber must be bored by now.

C'mon RS, get on the horn.