PDA

View Full Version : DeAngelo Hall Punished but Not Suspended

amazingandre
09-24-2007, 02:44 PM
deangelo hall is gonna be severely punished by petrino....do you think they sit him next week against us?

AJC.com

discuss whether or not this will affect our situation not if hall should be....we can make a thread in nfl for that.....

Leahmic223
09-24-2007, 02:52 PM
If they sit him for the game it improves our situation.

Which is why coaching in the NFL is so different than college. Petrino could have easily sat him out a game if this were Louisville, I mean he could evaluate the guy behind him and if they were playing a cupcake, just makes the decision easier.

In the NFL...good luck with that. Its almost as if Dunta had did something wrong and we played the Browns next week. The Browns aren't too scary but still you'd like to have to put someone on Edwards if he breaks loose.

I think he's overrated as a corner but still he helps them a lot and hes better than Faggins, I wanted to see Dre matchup with him though and eventually destroy him.:texflag:

amazingandre
09-24-2007, 02:55 PM
man its so funny...on the falcon boards they want him to be traded away lmfao

Leahmic223
09-24-2007, 02:58 PM
man its so funny...on the falcon boards they want him to be traded away lmfao

Man and depending on who we would be willing to offer I'd take him, but he may be a attitude guy and in the end these guys fail for you.

Errant Hothy
09-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Linkage: http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/09/24/hall_0924.html

After his third penalty, an unsportsmanlike conduct infraction for jawing with Carolina wide receiver Steve Smith, Hall came to the sideline with the rest of the defense, which thought it made a key stop following John Abraham's third-down sack of Jake Delhomme that would have forced a long field-goal attempt.

An animated Hall screamed at Petrino and assistant secondary coach Joe Whitt and had to be pushed away from Petrino by a teammate. Several players and Whitt continued to talk Hall down. Although coaches thought about pulling Hall out of the game, he was sent back in to play.

His series of penalties drastically changed the momentum as Carolina reeled off 17 unanswered points to drop the Falcons to 0-3 while improving to 2-1.

Leahmic223
09-24-2007, 03:05 PM
I don't think he is totally in the wrong on this though.

Deion made a good point in that the refs seemed to only penalize Hall, according to Deion as I did not watch the game but Smith was jawing off as well and if it was just trash talk the refs should have let it go.

Hall was mad at the Coaching staff supposedly because they didn't have his back on the matter so he honestly felt he didn't do any thing wrong.

BigTimeTexanFan
09-24-2007, 03:07 PM
I think it is unlikely they will sit him next week if they didn't pull during the game after yelling at his head coach.

tulexan
09-24-2007, 03:33 PM
PETRINO: 'SIGNIFICANT DISCIPLINE' FOR HALL by Michael David Smith

Falcons coach Bobby Petrino said at his press conference on Monday that there will be "significant discipline" for cornerback DeAngelo Hall after Hall got three penalties for 67 yards on one drive and then had a sideline confrontation with Petrino Sunday.

Hall, who has gone to the last two Pro Bowls, could be suspended for next week's game against the Houston Texans.

"We certainly don't like the actions that took place on the field and do not like the actions that happened on the sideline and that's something that we'll deal with," Petrino said. "There will be substantial discipline. It will be handled in-house."

Hall actually played well for most of the game. He was matched up with Panthers receiver Steve Smith most of the time, and Smith finished with just one catch for 10 yards. But during the third quarter Hall got a 37-yard pass interference penalty, followed by a 15-yard personal foul penalty after the next play, followed by a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty three plays later.

Then Hall went to the sideline and appeared to be screaming at Petrino and assistant defensive backs coach Joe Whitt Jr.

Petrino wouldn't answer when asked if the team would suspend Hall, but he did say, "We're keeping all our options open."

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Take it for what it's worth coming from PFT.

Hervoyel
09-24-2007, 03:40 PM
They want to give him away I think the Texans could use him. We'll send them another #2 for their problem child (Hell, why not make it 3 years in a row that we have no second round pick) and we'll get him back there with Dunta & Co.

I know they don't want to give him away (and won't I'm sure) but I think this coaching staff is turning the Texans into a team that people enjoy playing for. I think they insist on respect from their players and give it back to them. I'd consider Hall to be "manageable"

gtexan02
09-24-2007, 03:42 PM
I think theres a good chance he could be suspended by the team and forced to miss next weeks game.

They didn't pull him during the game because they had a good shot to win. I think if AJ is listed as out, they'll sit Hall to make an example of him

amazingandre
09-24-2007, 03:42 PM
omg id love to have hall but i doubt they get rid of him.....he is their best defensive player IMO.....he held smith to one catch for 10 yds.......he and drob would be amazing....hey d rob and d hall haha nice

gtexan02
09-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Hes a 2 time probowler, so I doubt they give him away

that being said, he is super overrated. He has great games where he totally shuts down guys and then goes and gets annihilated by guys the next week

Errant Hothy
09-24-2007, 03:46 PM
There's no way we could afford D-Rob and D-Hall, both are FAs after next year.

Shaft75
09-24-2007, 03:50 PM
I still want to find out more about him getting his arse kicked in the locker room.

Leahmic223
09-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Hes a 2 time probowler, so I doubt they give him away

that being said, he is super overrated. He has great games where he totally shuts down guys and then goes and gets annihilated by guys the next week

Yeah I think he's overrated too.

But he's 23 or 24 and like you say, he shuts down some impressive WRs then goes next week and doesn't...it could be a matter of coaching and motivation. Maybe he only gets up when he finds out a pro bowl WR is coming to town. But he's so young he can still develop into a great corner.

With that said the Falcons are unlikely to give him up unless he wants to get out or if there is a interesting offer on the table. Since we really didn't hurt them too much in our trade for Schaub I don't think thier FO is stupid. Yeah the Schaub deal looks bad for them now but at first it looked pretty good for them.

At the same time if he's as cocky as I think he is there is probably no way he takes a pay cut to be on a good team. Although it would be nice to have him as a CB if he isn't a attitude guy. While he is overrated he's still a very good CB and he's young.

Hervoyel
09-24-2007, 04:07 PM
Realistically I think we go CB in the draft next year or, it might be worth our while to find another Aaron Glenn out there. We look for a somewhat older and respectable player out there who has a few years left in him and use our draft to get that OL and Safety position squared away.

TheCD
09-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Wasn't he drafted the same year as D-Rob? I'd love to have this guy on our team if we could only give up a 2nd rounder in 2 years and next years 3rd, with the promise of giving him a nice pay raise next year when we free up cap space by restructuring his contract.

Now, before I get slammed for making the suggestion on draft picks, it would free us up to do something else with our 1st round pick, whether it be a safety, wr, rb, lb, ol, or whatever path we choose. This would most likely solidify our needs at CB for a long time, remove our need to get one in the draft or FA next year, and immediately improve our team this season. It would help our d-line, especially against the Colts, due to the ability to comfortably jam their receivers. I know he's being criticized for being hot under the collar, but I personally haven't heard of anything like this before from him (if there is something let me know, please) and it seems like he just doesn't want to be there anymore. He seems as passionate as D-Rob at his position, but I may be wrong.

Granted, this would probably never happen, especially with how things turned out with the Schaub trade, but I'd be game to give it a shot.

Htownsportsfan
09-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Did anyone else see Rod Woodson on the NFLN before the game predict this to a point. He said Hall was arrogant and really was not a good coverage guy and was highly overrated and was making a name for himself by being flashy. He predicted Steve Smith would frustrate him and blown him away. Looks like he nailed that one.

infantrycak
09-24-2007, 10:27 PM
There's no way we could afford D-Rob and D-Hall, both are FAs after next year.

Sure they could. The Texans are looking at $30+ mil in cap space next year with Fred Weary as about the biggest guy to resign from the current team. Not likely to happen, but the Texans could make the move if they want just like they could go after Asante Samuels.

JDizzle
09-25-2007, 10:30 PM
I know it's PFT but I found this rather interesting and kind of funny :

As we reported last night, there are rumors that Hall was beaten up by one or more teammates in the locker room after the game. One reader described the rumored incident as a "Code Red."

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

If that's true then it looks like Petrino wasn't lying about Hall's punishment being 'in house'. I can see the presser now ...

"Hall's beating, while tragic, probably WINS GAMES. My existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, WINS GAMES. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you WANT me on that sideline, you NEED me on that sideline ... "

Bulluck53
09-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Will ESPN hold a town meeting for Hall if he gets suspended?

AnthonyE
09-25-2007, 11:45 PM
I don't think he is totally in the wrong on this though.

Deion made a good point in that the refs seemed to only penalize Hall, according to Deion as I did not watch the game but Smith was jawing off as well and if it was just trash talk the refs should have let it go.

Hall was mad at the Coaching staff supposedly because they didn't have his back on the matter so he honestly felt he didn't do any thing wrong.

Bias. Deion is in love with Hall.

But yeah, it was a good point. Some things he didn't do anything that he should have been penalize him, but no one knows what he was saying on the field.

Goldensilence
09-26-2007, 12:34 AM
If he sits...that is only going to help.

He was in the same draft as Dunta and iwas hoping he fall to us. Boy am i happy we landed Dunta instead.

Honestly Atlanta will have to totally retool their entire squad now and while the second rounder we gave them will help i'm just not sure how much that really will.

As for DeAngelo coming over....The way I see it we'll be spending our first rounder in one of three places. Running back, Secondary or Oline. Depending on which presents best value at where we pick. It wouldn't also suprise me much like the AJ signing to see Dunta put in the fold for a while during the year or shortly after.

Shaft75
09-26-2007, 09:53 AM
Hall won't be suspended.

Fined $100,000.

Wow, Petrino, you let him know who's boss!:sarcasm:

Kaiser Toro
09-26-2007, 10:02 AM
Hall won't be suspended.

Fined $100,000.

Wow, Petrino, you let him know who's boss!:sarcasm:

Are you being sarcastic about your whole post? I can't seem to find a link on a 100k fine anywhere.

Kaiser Toro
09-26-2007, 10:04 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3036577&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

ATLANTA -- Cornerback DeAngelo Hall will not be suspended by Atlanta officials, ESPN.com has learned, but will be sanctioned with what one league source termed a "pretty steep" fine for his actions in the Falcons' 27-20 loss to the Carolina Panthers last Sunday.

Sources said the fine will be for less than one full game-check, which based on Hall's base salary of $3.11 million for 2007, would have amounted to $182,941. But the penalty levied by the Falcons will still be in the low six-figure range.

Coach Bobby Petrino said Monday that the Falcons would impose "substantial discipline" on Hall, who lost his composure during a third-quarter sequence in which the fourth-year veteran drew three penalties for 67 yards. The meltdown came with the winless Falcons leading 17-10 and it contributed to Carolina eventually scoring a tying touchdown.

GlassHalfFull
09-26-2007, 10:05 AM
this is on Fanhouse

Fanhouse article (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/09/26/deangelo-hall-gets-fined-no-suspension/)

Shaft75
09-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Are you being sarcastic about your whole post? I can't seem to find a link on a 100k fine anywhere.

My bad...

NO SUSPENSION FOR HALL

ESPN.com reports that the Atlanta Falcons won't be suspending cornerback DeAngelo Hall in the wake of his Sunday meltdown against the Panthers.

Len Pasquarelli reports that the fine will be less than a game check of $182,941, but more than $100,000.

"If it's a suspension or a fine, especially if it's a suspension, I take it in full stride," Hall recently told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "It don't feel good to be the reason your team loses a game."

Under the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NFL and the NFLPA, teams can suspend a player for up to four games without pay for conduct detrimental to the team. Any suspension or other penalty is subject to the grievance procedure, and punishments can be overturned or reduced if the player and the union can show that the penalty is not consistent with the team's past practices.

From PFT (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm).

Ole Miss Texan
09-26-2007, 10:07 AM
Well darn, with all the injuries we have, I was hoping he'd be one less guy we'd have to worry about. Their secondary is horrible and that's prob. why they went with a fine instead of suspension. (just think if we played a game without Dunta- ouch.)

The did select Chris Houston last year with their 2nd round pick..He's a fast CB from Arkansas a lot of us liked...I doubt the get rid of Hall b/c if Houston develops well into the #2 possibly for the '08 season- they could have two pretty good cb's.

I don't want a player that has to be held back when YELLING at his head coach...and that 'got beat up' by his teammates in the locker room...no matter how many pro bowls he's been to.

Shaft75
09-26-2007, 10:07 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3036577&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

So you did find a link? Good...

Shaft75
09-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Well darn, with all the injuries we have, I was hoping he'd be one less guy we'd have to worry about. Their secondary is horrible and that's prob. why they went with a fine instead of suspension. (just think if we played a game without Dunta- ouch.)

The did select Chris Houston last year with their 2nd round pick..He's a fast CB from Arkansas a lot of us liked...I doubt the get rid of Hall b/c if Houston develops well into the #2 possibly for the '08 season- they could have two pretty good cb's.

I don't want a player that has to be held back when YELLING at his head coach...and that 'got beat up' by his teammates in the locker room...no matter how many pro bowls he's been to.

We all know he is special enough to be one of Jerry's kids!

Kaiser Toro
09-26-2007, 10:10 AM
I agree. Yelling at your coach and getting a locker room beat down says it all to me. Andra Davis seems to have his stuff in line, but I would go over every VA Tech alum's background with a fine toothed comb in the future.

Errant Hothy
09-26-2007, 10:16 AM
I agree. Yelling at your coach and getting a locker room beat down says it all to me. Andra Davis seems to have his stuff in line, but I would go over every VA Tech alum's background with a fine toothed comb in the future.

Brandon Frye included?

Kaiser Toro
09-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Brandon Frye included?

There is taint on that Blacksburg Cheese as I should have prefaced it with the Vick influenced years. Yes to answer your question as the "pros" they are spawning as of late are mostly over rated on the field and their actions off the field are marginal at best. Marcus Vick did a nice job of furthering his brother's legacy at VA Tech in his absence.

2001 Michael Vick QB 1st 1 1 Atlanta
2001 Cory Bird S 3rd 29 91 Indianapolis
2001 Matt Lehr OG 5th 6 137 Dallas
2002 André Davis WR 2nd 15 47 Cleveland
2002 Ben Taylor LB 4th 13 111 Cleveland
2002 Kevin McCadam SS 5th 13 148 Atlanta
2002 David Pugh DT 6th 10 182 Indianapolis
2002 Bob Slowikowski TE 6th 39 211 Dallas
2002 Chad Beasley DT 7th 7 218 Minnesota
2002 Derrius Monroe DE 7th 13 224 New Orleans
2002 Jarrett Ferguson FB 7th 40 251 Buffalo
2003 Lee Suggs RB 4th 18 115 Cleveland
2003 Willie Pile FS 7th 38 252 Kansas City
2004 DeAngelo Hall DB 1st 8 8 Atlanta
2004 Kevin Jones RB 1st 30 30 Detroit
2004 Jake Grove C 2nd 13 45 Oakland
2004 Ernest Wilford WR 4th 24 120 Jacksonville
2004 Nathaniel Adibi DE 5th 13 145 Pittsburgh
2005 Eric Green DB 3rd 11 75 Arizona
2005 Vincent Fuller S 4th 7 108 Tennessee
2005 Jon Dunn OT 6th 7 217 Cleveland
2006 Jimmy Williams DB 2nd 5 37 Atlanta
2006 Darryl Tapp DE 2nd 31 63 Seattle
2006 James Anderson LB 3rd 24 88 Carolina
2006 Jeff King TE 5th 23 155 Carolina
2006 Jonathan Lewis DT 6th 8 177 Arizona
2006 Justin Hamilton DB 7th 14 222 Cleveland
2006 Jimmy Martin OT 7th 19 227 San Diego
2006 Will Montgomery OL 7th 26 234 Carolina
2006 Cedric Humes RB 7th 32 240 Pittsburgh

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/2006MG/pros.pdf

eriadoc
09-26-2007, 10:46 AM

How in the hell does this guy get a locker room beatdown, while TO managed to dodge one in Philly?

Kornele23
09-26-2007, 10:50 AM
ESPN just reported Hall will not be suspended this Sunday. He will be fined 100K instead. I think the Falcons will need him this weekend.

Thanks for moving my thread in both forums into your threads.

Ole Miss Texan
09-26-2007, 11:20 AM
How in the hell does this guy get a locker room beatdown, while TO managed to dodge one in Philly?

Those were my thoughts exactly, lol

Errant Hothy
09-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Hall not being suspended is just one more piece of evidence that winning is all that maters in the NFL.

100k to Hall is not even a game check, and that's pitiful (the fact that the punishement is so light, not the size of Hall's game checks).

powerfuldragon
09-26-2007, 11:32 AM
lame. bench him. and then the texans should get him.

BigBull17
09-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Thats a hard line he set... Maybe the judge will be "hard on me" when I go in to pay a ticket. If you break down 100k by percent of income, its like taking my Skittles. How lame.

Ole Miss Texan
09-26-2007, 12:37 PM
I still want to find out more about him getting his arse kicked in the locker room.

I must be skipping over it, could someone point out to me where it mentions him gettin' a beat down please? thanks..this would be funny (sorta)

GlassHalfFull
09-26-2007, 12:47 PM
ProFootballTalk has this unconfirmed rumor up (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm).

UPDATE: As we reported last night, there are rumors that Hall was beaten up by one or more teammates in the locker room after the game. One reader described the rumored incident as a "Code Red."

SECOND UPDATE: A reader points out that Hall should be glad Mike Vick isn't around, or DeAngelo could be electrocuted or drowned (or both) for such a performance.

Porky
09-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Now wait guys. That is pretty harsh. That's a lot of dough.

I bet he is really upset about this. Probably balling his eyes out into his mink sable while sitting in his Rolls Royce in the garage of his mansion.

Go a little easy on the guy will ya. :cool:

Goldensilence
09-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Forget getting Hall. Resign Dunta and go after this guy

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6367

Won't cost as much....less locker room trouble and would solidify the other side of the field.

amazingandre
09-26-2007, 03:07 PM
dont know if anyone posted this...but on the atl site they are saying he got a one quarter suspension lol..one quarter thats right.....so we should take full advantage of that quarter

Yankee_In_TX
09-26-2007, 03:11 PM
The ATL Journal Constitution reports he was find nd HAS BEEN TOLD HE WILL SIT SUNDAY (but not for how long). He has filed a grievance. Per 610.

Yankee_In_TX
09-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Will ESPN hold a town meeting for Hall if he gets suspended?

And fill the crowd with ignorant fools and try to create as much racial tension as possible?

beerlover
09-26-2007, 03:13 PM
100K & will not start :pirate:

Yankee_In_TX
09-26-2007, 03:15 PM
dont know if anyone posted this...but on the atl site they are saying he got a one quarter suspension lol..one quarter thats right.....so we should take full advantage of that quarter

Pretty much what it sounds like.

Leahmic223
09-26-2007, 03:16 PM
100k!

Wow...that's steep. I know he's missing that.

Errant Hothy
09-26-2007, 03:51 PM
100K & will not start :pirate:

Is this like the college "will not start"? You know the one where the troubled player comes in on snap #2.

IonSen88
09-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Hall is going no where.

Vinny
09-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Forget getting Hall. Resign Dunta and go after this guy

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6367

Won't cost as much....less locker room trouble and would solidify the other side of the field.won't cost as much? He is one of the elite NFL corners now....if the Raiders can't work out a deal they will franchise him...they won't let him leave.... he is going to have a huge contract any way you slice it next year.

Ole Miss Texan
09-26-2007, 04:28 PM
ProFootballTalk has this unconfirmed rumor up (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm).

UPDATE: As we reported last night, there are rumors that Hall was beaten up by one or more teammates in the locker room after the game. One reader described the rumored incident as a "Code Red."

SECOND UPDATE: A reader points out that Hall should be glad Mike Vick isn't around, or DeAngelo could be electrocuted or drowned (or both) for such a performance.

Thanks, you just gotta scroll so doggon far down! lol

Now wait guys. That is pretty harsh. That's a lot of dough.

I bet he is really upset about this. Probably balling his eyes out into his mink sable while sitting in his Rolls Royce in the garage of his mansion.

Go a little easy on the guy will ya. :cool:

Hey, $100k is $100k any way you slice it. I don't care how much someone makes, that's a lot of $ coming out of the piggy bank. %-wise That'd be like the average joe back-talking to a cop and getting a $2,500 fine. I don't know about you guys but if I had to give up 2,500 bucks or not get paid that from my employer- I'd be pissed.

amazingandre
09-26-2007, 04:30 PM
im pretty sure i read hall makes 200k a GAME...i think he can give up 100k lol

Ole Miss Texan
09-26-2007, 04:30 PM
won't cost as much? He is one of the elite NFL corners now....if the Raiders can't work out a deal they will franchise him...they won't let him leave.... he is going to have a huge contract any way you slice it next year.

If they decide to franchise him, is there any way the raiders could give us back a draft pick from the Buchanon trade? They screwed us over on that one :)

Ole Miss Texan
09-26-2007, 04:58 PM
im pretty sure i read hall makes 200k a GAME...i think he can give up 100k lol

Per this espn article its roughly $182,941 /game.

$100,000/$182,941 = 55%

Hypothetical: Jim Bob works as a Scout for the Texans making $100k a year. Therefore he makes $6,250 for each regular season texans game. If he were to get fined the same % for yelling during a scouting meeting, he'd get fined $3,416.40

Just putting it in perspective. :shots:

Goldensilence
09-26-2007, 06:30 PM

Per this espn article its roughly $182,941 /game.

$100,000/$182,941 = 55%

Hypothetical: Jim Bob works as a Scout for the Texans making $100k a year. Therefore he makes $6,250 for each regular season texans game. If he were to get fined the same % for yelling during a scouting meeting, he'd get fined $3,416.40

Just putting it in perspective. :shots:

Ole Miss i know its perspective. But people live VERY well for 82,000 a year. Much less a one week salary of that amount. It won't be missed that much.

Vinny i had no clue Nnamdi had reached "elite" status. My bad.

Bulluck53
09-26-2007, 11:06 PM
And fill the crowd with ignorant fools and try to create as much racial tension as possible?

I knew I wasn't the only one who thought like that

infantrycak
09-27-2007, 12:18 PM
Hall will not be suspended but it is reported he will be benched for at least the 1st quarter, maybe the 1st half.