PDA

View Full Version : Power rankings following week 3:

gtexan02
09-24-2007, 01:02 PM
SI.com's Monday Morning QB has us at #14:

14. Houston (2-1). Speaking of interesting scheduling notes, the Texans play at Atlanta one time every eight years. Pretty eerie that the first meeting ever in Atlanta between the teams comes this week, in the fourth game of transplanted ex-Falc Matt Schaub's Houston career.

Earlier in the article he calls us the most improved team in football

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/09/23/mmqb.week3/1.html

PS: He also made boulware his "goat of the week"
Goat of the Week

Houston SS Michael Boulware. Maybe now we know why Seattle gave up on him. On the Texans' first defensive series, Indy was at the Texans' 2, and Boulware stood across from Colts tight end Dallas Clark, ready to bump him. Boulware's a good, athletic, tough safety -- at least he's supposed to be all of those things. And when Clark left the line, he gave Boulware a simple fake, left him in his wake, and caught a 2-yard TD at the back of the end zone.

You've got to make that bump. The Colts are going to get enough easy-looking touchdowns, and Boulware gave them an easy one, not just easy-looking. One play or two turns the tide, and you can't afford for simple plays like bumps inside the 5-yard line to not be made.

4Texans
09-24-2007, 01:06 PM
According to Peter Kings MMQB:

Goat of the Week

Houston SS Michael Boulware. Maybe now we know why Seattle gave up on him. On the Texans' first defensive series, Indy was at the Texans' 2, and Boulware stood across from Colts tight end Dallas Clark, ready to bump him. Boulware's a good, athletic, tough safety -- at least he's supposed to be all of those things. And when Clark left the line, he gave Boulware a simple fake, left him in his wake, and caught a 2-yard TD at the back of the end zone.

You've got to make that bump. The Colts are going to get enough easy-looking touchdowns, and Boulware gave them an easy one, not just easy-looking. One play or two turns the tide, and you can't afford for simple plays like bumps inside the 5-yard line to not be made.

King also has Houston ranked at 14.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/09/23/mmqb.week3/3.html

gtexan02
09-24-2007, 01:08 PM
beat you to it! :banana:

tedr
09-24-2007, 01:11 PM
The AFC South looks like it will have four quality teams this year. I still think the Texans are better than the Jags or Titans, but that's the beauty of the upcoming schedule- we'll find out soon enough.

Errant Hothy
Dude is so wrong we all know that Faggins was the "Goat of the Week" :sarcasm:

Vinny
NFL replay is featuring the Texans v Colts game today at 6pm on the NFL network in case any of you guys want to see it again. They feature the 3 top games of the weekend on replay as the week unfolds.

Leahmic223
09-24-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm gonna give Boulware some slack, this was the Colts he was playing against as the whole defense for awhile looked bad up until about the middle of the 3rd qtr when we started to come back.

4Texans
09-24-2007, 01:27 PM
beat you to it! :banana:

I tried!:specnatz:

Carr Bombed
09-24-2007, 01:31 PM
NFL replay is featuring the Texans v Colts game today at 6pm on the NFL network in case any of you guys want to see it again. They feature the 3 top games of the weekend on replay as the week unfolds.

Thanks for warning me. :)

I really don't want to watch that game again, watching all those injuries happen is just depressing. I taped the game and I can't even bring myself to push play.

On a side note, I believe this is the first time we've had a "replay or game of the week" game

Shaft75
09-24-2007, 01:33 PM
Dude is so wrong we all know that Faggins was the "Goat of the Week"

Nice comment...lol

Vinny
09-24-2007, 02:17 PM

I really don't want to watch that game again, watching all those injuries happen is just depressing. I taped the game and I can't even bring myself to push play.

On a side note, I believe this is the first time we've had a "replay or game of the week" game
NFL replay is a great idea and a nice concept...they take out the tedious stuff, splice in coaches comments and other related stuff and truncate the game into an hour and a half...good stuff.

Texan_Lee
09-24-2007, 02:23 PM
I enjoy it, gives me the opportunity to go back and see what mistakes were made, who the big players were, and if that one penalty was properly called by the refs

Hook'er
09-24-2007, 10:55 PM
Thats alright, we will move back up after we stomp Atl.!:d:

Overalls
09-25-2007, 07:37 AM
NFL replay is a great idea and a nice concept...they take out the tedious stuff, splice in coaches comments and other related stuff and truncate the game into an hour and a half...good stuff.

For those of us at the game it gives us an opportunity to see the game sitting down. I like it. I was able to watch a good portion of it yesturday.

:fans:

Texan_Bill
09-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Vinny and Overalls are spot on.

I was able to head out of the office about 5:45 and head home to catch it. I missed the return for TD on the opening re-kick off, but saw everything else. It's a whole different perspective watching at home (as Overalls stated) and it is cool to "fast-forward" through all the BS (as Vinny stated)...

I saw a few things that I didnt catch Sunday - so that was cool.

powerfuldragon
09-25-2007, 09:51 AM
so it's kinda like nfl's greatest games but more current.

tedr
09-25-2007, 12:00 PM
We're #11 on FoxSports Rankings-

All four AFC South teams are in the top 11. At least to this point, it's the best division. No one has lost any non-division games. Pretty stout.

gtexan02
09-25-2007, 12:13 PM
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/powerrankings

CBS has us at #15. It says week 2, but its week 3.

They have a ton of key injuries, and that is holding the offense back. Get ready for the hype this week: Matt Schaub goes back to Atlanta.

HoustonFrog
09-25-2007, 02:05 PM
The AFC South looks like it will have four quality teams this year. I still think the Texans are better than the Jags or Titans, but that's the beauty of the upcoming schedule- we'll find out soon enough.

Look at the front page of Sporting News today...Nice..4 teams in Top 10

http://www.sportingnews.com/

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=277312

8. Houston, 2-1 (12)
Just wondering, but do you suppose the Texans could have beaten Indianapolis if Andre Johnson had played?

gtexan02
09-25-2007, 03:24 PM
A #17 from ESPN

The Texans fell back to earth vs. Indy. But considering they played without their best WR (Andre Johnson) and best RB (Ahman Green was hurt early), it was a respectable showing. QB Matt Schaub gets to torch his old team, the Falcons, this week.

Leahmic223
09-25-2007, 03:34 PM
A #17 from ESPN

The Texans fell back to earth vs. Indy. But considering they played without their best WR (Andre Johnson) and best RB (Ahman Green was hurt early), it was a respectable showing. QB Matt Schaub gets to torch his old team, the Falcons, this week.

How do we drop so far in their eyes?

Seriously last week the Titans either moved up or stayed the same when they lost to the Colts and it was "Wow they almost beat the Colts...this team is good."

When we almost beat the Colts you know what I hear 'Falling back to Earth' and Jaws saying "THERES NO SUCH THING AS A MORAL VICTORY!!!!' yet it was when the Titans lost?

Maybe I am looking too deep here but ESPN has a bias issue.

I don't get how we fell back to Earth, we lost to the Colts without our key players by 6 points. If anything some of us are wondering "What if".

powerfuldragon
09-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Maybe I am looking too deep here but ESPN has a bias issue.

whoa. haven't heard that one before.

gtexan02
09-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Other teams did well. Like the Eagles for example.

And we suffered a lot of injuries, which doesnt help our cause

Leahmic223
09-25-2007, 03:40 PM
whoa. haven't heard that one before.

I mean they are bias for sure when it comes to who they cover.

But I mean come on now? The Panthers are like 6 spots ahead of us.

Texan_Bill
09-25-2007, 03:47 PM
I mean they are bias for sure when it comes to who they cover.

But I mean come on now? The Panthers are like 6 spots ahead of us.

Are you serious...?? The Panthers play in that 'vaunted' NFC South division.

The Pencil Neck
09-25-2007, 04:13 PM
From Cold Hard Football Facts:
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/10_235_Power_Rankings%3A_The_Gang_of_Five.html

9. HOUSTON (2-1, previous rank: 7)
Last week: Loss of WR Andre Johnson was too much for Texans to overcome in 30-24 loss to Indy that wasn’t quite that close.

Cold, Hard Football Facts: Matt Schaub has yet to throw an incompletion in the fourth quarter this season (15-for-15).

Next: With the AFC South shaping up as the best division in the league (all four teams 2-1 or better, Texans need to win their next two: at Atlanta this week, home against Miami next week.

Another note they brought up in another article on that site is that Schaub didn't have any passes hit the ground in the second half on Sunday. He went 15-17 with 2 picks. That means, no pass hit the ground. That's amazing.

You know, we've talked about the bad decision he made on that one interception. It might be that he's just in such a zone that he thinks he can complete anything. :texflag:

AnthonyE
09-25-2007, 05:12 PM

It is. Last year, I waited all week for NFLN to show the Replay of the Colts-Texans game. They didn't show it and I was uber pissed. :/ I guess they're trying to make up for it because this game is no where near as exciting.

Mike Kerns
09-25-2007, 10:57 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings

Discuss...

Andrew6
09-25-2007, 11:00 PM
damn near whole division in the top ten

real
09-25-2007, 11:04 PM
He has Tennesee too damn high

Errant Hothy
09-25-2007, 11:05 PM
He has Tennesee too damn high

And the Jags.

real
09-25-2007, 11:08 PM
I really think the Saints are just a really awful team...

Everyone they've played has manhandled and mangled them...

Not saying the Titans suck, but they aren't four slots better than us...Even without Andre and Jacoby...

Errant Hothy
09-25-2007, 11:10 PM
I think the biggest mistakes are the Chargers at 14, and the Packers at 5.

The Pencil Neck
09-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Shouldn't this be in the Power Rankings thread?

AnthonyE
09-25-2007, 11:19 PM
If the Titans and Jags are way up there, we should be up there too.

I don't see how with one win the Jags can move up 10 spaces and the Titans 6.

Power Rankings are useless.

Vinnie
09-25-2007, 11:20 PM
I really think the Saints are just a really awful team...

Everyone they've played has manhandled and mangled them...

Not saying the Titans suck, but they aren't four slots better than us...Even without Andre and Jacoby...

I think the same thing about the Saints, and look how close it was last night, at least up until the fourth quarter. No way the Titans should be ranked that far ahead of the Texans. 10/21 can't come fast enough. :fans:

gtexan02
09-26-2007, 12:18 PM
"Fan Nation" on ESPN has voted the Texans as the #10 team

Just ahead of the Chargers, behind the Titans

tedr
09-26-2007, 12:47 PM
Dr. Z on CNNSI has the Texans at #8.

Titans are #6, Jags are #9.

The Pencil Neck
09-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Not surprisingly, our stats took a hit this past week.

Outsiders:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff.php

Our team efficiency dropped from 4th to 12th. Our offensive efficiency is 20th, our defensive efficiency is 15th, and our Special Teams efficiency is 2nd.

Cold Hard Football Facts:
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Category/2_Quality_Stats.html
Our Bendability index is down to 12th.
Our Scoreability index is up to 4th... that's because of our special teams play. Which makes this misleading. If you have a lot of scores from your ST or defense, this stat will look better than it is. This should be restricted to OFFENSIVE scores instead of all scores.

The other stats don't appear to have refreshed, yet.

In their Power Rankings, they have us 9th.

hradhak
09-27-2007, 02:12 PM
I know that some web sites do power rankings based on statistics (like footballoutsiders.com) Does ESPN use any stats to base their rankings or do they just rank them by opinion (and their bias)?