PDA

View Full Version : The Colts aren't who we thought they were

gtexan02
09-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Well, most people underestimated the Colts. Again. I don't get how everyone was expecting a win against the defending superbowl champs. Especially after losing Andre Johnson.

Ole Miss stated in another thread that the Colts are a really great team. Someone else in the injury thread commented on the fact that the Colts were the better team. People trashed them then, and are still trashing them now. "We were down offensive players, we got injured, <insert other lame excuse here>"

What matters is who won the game, and how they did it. We complained that we didn't get our respect when we beat down the Chiefs and the Panthers. Well, now its time to give respect to the Colts. They punched us in the mouth. Multiple times. You don't deserve to win when you are outplayed that badly.

HOWEVER, this loss is nothing to get upset over. Did we get beat? Oh yeah. But it was against the defending superbowl champions. And we only lost by 6 points. Schaub made some mistakes, but he also made some great plays with very little to work with. Our defense looked horrible against the pass, but they played great against the run.

So basically, I think everyone SHOULD have been expecting (not hoping for, but expecting) to be 2-1 at this point. So dont let it get you down

Vinny
09-24-2007, 09:56 AM
easy position for you since you are an eternal pessimist.

Texans_Chick
09-24-2007, 09:58 AM
Well, most people underestimated the Colts. Again. I don't get how everyone was expecting a win against the defending superbowl champs. Especially after losing Andre Johnson.

Ole Miss stated in another thread that the Colts are a much better team. Someone else in the injury thread commented on the fact that the Colts were the better team. People trashed them then, and are still trashing them now. "We were down offensive players, we got injured, <insert other lame excuse here>"

What matters is who won the game, and how they did it. We complained that we didn't get our respect when we beat down the Chiefs and the Panthers. Well, now its time to give respect to the Colts. They punched us in the mouth. Multiple times. You don't deserve to win when you are outplayed that badly.

HOWEVER, this loss is nothing to get upset over. Did we get beat? Oh yeah. But it was against the defending superbowl champions. And we only lost by 6 points. Schaub made some mistakes, but he also made some great plays with very little to work with. Our defense looked horrible against the pass, but they played great against the run.

So basically, I think everyone SHOULD have been expecting (not hoping for, but expecting) to be 2-1 at this point. So dont let it get you down

Huh? I thought they were EXACTLY what they showed.

Since their playoff run, everyone has had problems running on them. Much less the duo of Gado and Cook. Even so, you can move the ball on their defense, and their defense can exploit mistakes.

The Colts offense is efficient because they are good and the key parts of it have worked together for a long time. They are hard to sack.

Their special teams are suspect. Who else had deja vu to the SB after Mathis' kickoff return?

2BCF
09-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Actually we were one turnover away from winning the game....and that's with several injured players.

amazingandre
09-24-2007, 10:04 AM
texans starters>>>>>>colts starters

HOU-TEX
09-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Actually we were one turnover away from winning the game....and that's with several injured players.

I agree. By no means do I think we played our best game, but I do think this game was impressive. They overcame injuries and put forth a very nice comeback run in the fourth.

If we don't throw the pick after JJ's return or the D get's a turnover, the W could've easily gone to us.

This is a different team, so one hardfought game isn't going to hurt us. It's 1/16 of the season. Let's pray to the healing gods and get ready for the falcons.:texflag:

Specnatz
09-24-2007, 10:09 AM
I do not think the Colts are so superior to us that it was unrealistic to think we could win the game even without AJ in the lineup. There run D has improved ever since Bob Sanders came back from injury, no surprise that it was difficult to run on them. But there CB can be exploited and with more experience I see the Texans being able to do just that.

Like TC said it is extremely hard to sack them, not just because of O-Line play but because they run the slant play better than any team in the league right now. It is a quick pass play that negates almost any pass rush.

As far as getting punched in the mouth, we only lost by 6 points, I do not call that being punched in the mouth, to me it shows that the Texans are not that far away from being a very good team.

As far as getting upset, I was disappointed we lost, not upset and deffinately not mad.

gtexan02
09-24-2007, 10:11 AM
easy position for you since you are an eternal pessimist.

Did you even read my post?

The point was that people shouldn't be getting so discouraged after losing a close game to a very good team.

Everyone got so cocky after going 2-0 that people are extremely let down by the loss yesterday. The fact is, the Colts are an amazing team and we only lost by 6. How is that pessimistic?

Vinny
09-24-2007, 10:14 AM
Did you even read my post?

The point was that people shouldn't be getting so discouraged after losing a close game to a very good team.

Everyone got so cocky after going 2-0 that people are extremely let down by the loss yesterday. The fact is, the Colts are an amazing team and we only lost by 6. How is that pessimistic?
It's an easy train of thought for someone pessimistic...pessimists kinda expect not to win so a loss is easy to accept. I've just had too much coffee this morning...ignore me.

gtexan02
09-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Huh? I thought they were EXACTLY what they showed.

Since their playoff run, everyone has had problems running on them. Much less the duo of Gado and Cook. Even so, you can move the ball on their defense, and their defense can exploit mistakes.

The Colts offense is efficient because they are good and the key parts of it have worked together for a long time. They are hard to sack.

Their special teams are suspect. Who else had deja vu to the SB after Mathis' kickoff return?

What exactly are you talking about?

Obviously the Colts played up to their reputation, but the point was that everyone here seems to be getting upset and doubting our players after losing a close game to an incredibly good opponent.

What do you mean, "even so, you can move the ball on their defense, and their defense can exploit mistakes"? Those seem like opposing comments in my opinion?

Indy Skinnz
09-24-2007, 10:15 AM
texans starters>>>>>>colts starters

What? You think the Texans have superior starting talent? Dude - step away from the Texans Kool Aid.

Houston played well and admittedly, they were short handed before and during the game. But the Colts are simply the better team.

gtexan02
09-24-2007, 10:16 AM
It's an easy train of thought for someone pessimistic...pessimists kinda expect not to win so a loss is easy to accept. I've just had too much coffee this morning...ignore me.

I guess that makes sense...

but the point I was trying to get accross was to remain optimistic because we only lost by 6 to the defending champs

NitroGSXR
09-24-2007, 10:19 AM
I really don't think the game was as close as the score indicated. Our offense could not get rolling. If you want to blame it on the injuries, by all means but the cold hard fact is that we lack depth. The Patriots scoffed at Assante's holdout. The Bears shooed Tank Johnson away. They are one of the best at their respective positions.

The Colts were exactly who I thought they were. I'm very happy with our defense here. Yeah, they scored thirty points on them. Manning racked up some yards but nobody broke open. They had to rink and dink to beat us and I'm happy with that. Peyton Manning is unreal although I'm getting tired of him and his theateric antics trying to 'call an audible' and pointing fingers all over the place. The man is a leader and he lead his team to a victory.

Faggins did a solid job. I don't agree with many of you guys. This was Peyton Manning here.

We have no depth and that's why we lost. Is it our fault? Absolutely not. It takes time to build a team and we're still building ours. I'm absolutely certain that the Texans will be another New England Patriots sort of team with Kubiak and Smith at the helm but this isn't going to be done overnight.

amazingandre
09-24-2007, 10:20 AM
What? You think the Texans have superior starting talent? Dude - step away from the Texans Kool Aid.

Houston played well and admittedly, they were short handed before and during the game. But the Colts are simply the better team.

haha ok you beat our scrubs by 6.....congratulations

Indy Skinnz
09-24-2007, 10:28 AM

3-0, a game up in the division, I'll take it. Over your scrubs or not.

BTW - I am curious, where exactly is the Texans superior starting talent. I really want to know where Houston has the edge in talent over the Colts?

gtexan02
09-24-2007, 10:33 AM
3-0, a game up in the division, I'll take it. Over your scrubs or not.

BTW - I am curious, where exactly is the Texans superior starting talent. I really want to know where Houston has the edge in talent over the Colts?

I think you'll find that most people here will admit the Colts have the superior talent. Our DL has the chance of being better than yours, especially our DTs, but for now, you have the edge in many other positions

Ole Miss Texan
09-24-2007, 10:47 AM
After the emotions have settled in, I think I can look at the game more clearly.

I was surprised by how competitive we were. I HATE seeing that many injuries to our team, any team for that matter. But what I did like is what Dunta has been saying. There is no quit in this team. Schaub has had questionable throws (int's) in the redzone each game (3-1=2) but he doesn't let that get him down and keeps fighting. Our whole team is like that- they don't quit fighting and always think they are in the game and can win. This is good to see for out team.

We did better on defense than I expected. With that said, Peyton Manning had a near perfect game. Rookie Gonzalez dropped a couple passes, Peyton smartly threw away a few balls, all the others were right on the money. Supposedly PM isn't playing up to his speed yet, but played down right good. We gave up 1 big play to Wayne- I couldn't tell if Dunta was supposed to cover him or if they were playing zone or what not. Faggins has gotten A LOT of criticism. He played very loose coverage so no big plays would happen and succeeded. 54 yards 0 TD's? I think thats what I read but am unsure of it exactly. I think he should have played tighter coverage at the end of the game, if they get the first down they pretty much win the game and that happened.

We were in it untill the end a that is good to see. I really hope these injuries don't bite us on the rear b/c ATL and MIami should be two easy W's...

disaacks3
09-24-2007, 10:53 AM
In my case, I was EXPECTING a close loss with A.J. out for the game. I was pleasantly surprised that we STILL had that close loss after several other key injuries AND the costly turnovers were actored in.

I really felt that the guys "left it all on the field" yesterday. I'm not happy with any loss, but all things considered I still feel that a 4-1 start is VERY do-able.

Texans_Chick
09-24-2007, 11:40 AM
What exactly are you talking about?

Obviously the Colts played up to their reputation, but the point was that everyone here seems to be getting upset and doubting our players after losing a close game to an incredibly good opponent.

What do you mean, "even so, you can move the ball on their defense, and their defense can exploit mistakes"? Those seem like opposing comments in my opinion?

The title of the thread says that the "Colts aren't who we thought they were."

And my point are they are the SB winning Colts. Not a perfect team, but a very accomplished team. Their offense played like their offense plays, their defense plays like their defense has been playing and their special teams is not terribly good outside their kicker. They are who we thought they were.

Their defense against the run has been very good since their playoff run, but teams CAN move the ball on them, and they hope that teams trying to beat them one-dimensionally through the pass and makes mistakes.

If they can make teams play catchup ball or can make them feel like they have to throw, teams will throw against them. move the ball, but maybe make mistakes while only passing because the Colts know the opposing teams are going to pass.

Yankee_In_TX
09-24-2007, 11:43 AM

Lack of execution (I lump turnovers into that category + injuries = the loss. We could have one that game. One less turnover, or (maybe) Green and Dayne and we win.

Exithios
09-24-2007, 11:46 AM
This game was one interception away from potentially going our way. The ball that Schaub threw to JJ and bounced off of JJ's head should have been caught... period.

This game was well played and we all knew going into this game that the team that made the least costly mistakes would leave with the "W".

The Colt's were killing themselves with penalties which could have been costly, but we made 2 turn-overs to the Colt's none.

Petey was burned quite often but I also noticed that he was in a soft cover-2most of the game (which is more of a coaching call than a Petey decision I would think).

The Texans let the clock run way too much the final 2 minutes of the game or that 19 seconds left when we got the ball could have easily been 30+, the difference between a last minute scoring drive.

We have a good team that just has to learn how to be good. The Colt's had to learn how to be good and have been good for quite some time.

I am giddy over the Dec 23rd rematch.

My $0.02

thunderkyss
09-24-2007, 12:00 PM

I didn't underestimate the Colts. They didn't do anything yesterday, that I haven't seen them do time & time before. I know who Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Marvin Harrison, Jeff Saturday, and now Tony Ugho(sp) are.

I'm not disappointed in my team. Defensively, I think we have the players to go toe to toe with them. If we had played them as aggressively as we played Carolina & KC, the outcome would have been much different.

I fully expected to be 3-0 this morning. In my opinion, we aren't because our coaches had the wrong game plan in. We were soft defensively, and we kept trying to run out of a single back set.

Yeah, I know who Bob Sanders is. But I'd have rather lost the game with Him beating Vonta Leech, than trying to spread the defense, and still not being able to run the football.

Indy Skinnz
09-24-2007, 12:10 PM
I didn't underestimate the Colts. They didn't do anything yesterday, that I haven't seen them do time & time before. I know who Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Marvin Harrison, Jeff Saturday, and now Tony Ugho(sp) are.

I'm not disappointed in my team. Defensively, I think we have the players to go toe to toe with them. If we had played them as aggressively as we played Carolina & KC, the outcome would have been much different.

I fully expected to be 3-0 this morning. In my opinion, we aren't because our coaches had the wrong game plan in. We were soft defensively, and we kept trying to run out of a single back set.

Yeah, I know who Bob Sanders is. But I'd have rather lost the game with Him beating Vonta Leech, than trying to spread the defense, and still not being able to run the football.

The reason the Texans coaches did not blitz the Colts is because Manning is too good. He recognizes blitzes too easily and subsequently makes big plays to his receivers. They did not want to put themselves at risk of a big play over the top. The Saints got killed by this as do most teams who try & blitz the Colts. The Colts make defense choose a slow death over a quick death and hope that somewhere along the line, the Colts have a penalty or negative play.

Indy Skinnz
09-24-2007, 12:13 PM

Hey Amazing Andre - still waiting for the listing of superior talent that the Texans have over the Colts. I know they did not play yesterday, but please use Andre Johnson & Ahman Green in your argument to help make your case.

QB
RB
WR
TE
OL
DL
LB
DB

MouthofSouth
09-24-2007, 12:49 PM

Ole Miss stated in another thread that the Colts are a really great team. Someone else in the injury thread commented on the fact that the Colts were the better team. People trashed them then, and are still trashing them now. "We were down offensive players, we got injured, <insert other lame excuse here>"

You do indeed have a good football team, and a good quarterback! I am a Colts fan, so I have seen the best! You people are fast getting there, and you are not the doormat anymore! You have given notice. I like to pull for underdogs, so I will pull for you when you are not playing the Colts -- unless you become like the Patriots, in which case you will no longer be underdogs. :doot:

I pray for Killings, that he will be 100% in a few weeks.

TooManyWeapons
09-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Their defense against the run has been very good since their playoff run, but teams CAN move the ball on them, and they hope that teams trying to beat them one-dimensionally through the pass and makes mistakes.

Where were you last week while I was trying to spell this out for some uninformed homers here as kindly as possible? I swear it's like some people cried through the whole Playoffs and Super Bowl so badly they missed all the games. Not pointing fingers or anything.

Re: the game yesterday - the Colts left some points on the field - if they'd played their best football it wouldn't have been as close. That said - the Texans left some opportunities on the field as well! I could not get my brain around the clock management of the Texans at all. Let the clock wind down on 3rd and ... well, third and anything before the half! I don't care who you are - if you've got a down left and time on the clock before kicking it away to start the 3rd quarter, you try to score! Same thing at the end of the game. Schaub taking the sack and then your O must have blown 15-20 seconds getting back to the line... where's the hurry-up? It looked more like give-up.

But I don't want to be too critical on a team that is basically coming up from nothing to become something, and who lost players to injuries at a rate of about 1 guy doing down every other play.

Ole Miss Texan
09-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Hey Amazing Andre - still waiting for the listing of superior talent that the Texans have over the Colts. I know they did not play yesterday, but please use Andre Johnson & Ahman Green in your argument to help make your case.

QB
RB
WR
TE
OL
DL
LB
DB

Well I come up with ST Return men (when healthy)...I'll keep thinking
Punter too...Matt Turk is gooood.

Leahmic223
09-24-2007, 01:04 PM

QB
RB
WR
TE
OL
DL
LB
DB

This is a WHOLE different game for your defense with Andre just being out there, you SHOULD know that, I know that, everyone in the nation knows that. With Andre being in there good luck putting 8 men in the box and not giving up a big play to Dre, Andre could have opened up the run game a bit and just makes us that much better.

Also I think we have more talent on our defense than the Colts and they are only going to improve and get better since they are young.

Ole Miss Texan
09-24-2007, 01:25 PM
This is a WHOLE different game for your defense with Andre just being out there, you SHOULD know that, I know that, everyone in the nation knows that..

One could argue if Marvin Harrison was injured, the Texans would have won. Marvin the exact thing of why AJ is so valuable to us.

Box Score says nothing 6 Rec. for 53 yards 0 TD's

however 5/6 receptions were for 1st downs. I believe 4 were on 3rd down situations and 1 was on a 2nd and long. the other reception put them at 3rd and 1 which they converted in our territory.

I think all the drives he extended them w/ first downs turned into scores..put them in FG range, etc. except for the very last drive. which was just as important...he gave them another 3 downs to run the clock down before punting.

I understand our point in playing Faggins with some cushion, except for their last drive where they punted. Harrison made the critical 3rd down conversion so we got the ball back with 25 seconds instead of having like 1:30 left to play.

It's not to say they wouldn't have converted any of those 3rd downs, but none of the back ups would have been as sure handed and as open for them.

Thats what we missed by not having AJ out there. I don't want to get in his effect on the run game, etc....just those key plays keeping drives alive...thats as important if your run game isn't working.

Indy Skinnz
09-24-2007, 01:34 PM
This is a WHOLE different game for your defense with Andre just being out there, you SHOULD know that, I know that, everyone in the nation knows that. With Andre being in there good luck putting 8 men in the box and not giving up a big play to Dre, Andre could have opened up the run game a bit and just makes us that much better.

Also I think we have more talent on our defense than the Colts and they are only going to improve and get better since they are young.

No where did I say that missing AJ did not hurt the Texans cause. He is one of the better players in the league and of course his loss had an impact. But you cannot definitively say that Texans win if he plays. No one can make that claim.

The Texans do have some very good young talent on the defensive side of the ball and it could be potentially better. But better right now?? I don't believe that is true at all. And the Colts are not exactly an old defense.

tulexan
09-24-2007, 01:46 PM
too easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDAq5tyfk9E

Leahmic223
09-24-2007, 01:47 PM
No where did I say that missing AJ did not hurt the Texans cause. He is one of the better players in the league and of course his loss had an impact. But you cannot definitively say that Texans win if he plays. No one can make that claim.

The Texans do have some very good young talent on the defensive side of the ball and it could be potentially better. But better right now?? I don't believe that is true at all. And the Colts are not exactly an old defense.

That is why I chose my words :cool:

See I said AJ would have made it a different game, didn't say its a win with him in there because obviously you guys are the champs and its not that easy even with Andre.

That is also why I said we have better talent on the other side of the ball, because those are 1st round picks sitting there and some of them are either just reaching their prime or haven't done it yet.

With that said, I don't know if DeMeco's in his prime or not but the NFL better hope he's not, i'll say it here and i'll say it anywhere he is a top tier linebacker.

Also Amobi is looking scary too already and Mario continues to improve. I don't know draft a solid safety or a CB and we may be there among the top defenses. With that said I don't think we've allowed a rusher to get 100 yards on us yet, if we get better at defending the pass than our defense will be scary good.

Chance_C
09-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Skinnz View Post

QB
RB
WR
TE
OL
DL
LB
DB

We have a really good long snapper....

prostock101
09-24-2007, 05:40 PM
This game came out about like I though it would, even without the injuries we had. The Colts are just a much better team, with a lot of depth, great coaching and tons of experience with their offense. The fact that we even made a game of it with all the 2nd and 3rd line players in the game is pretty amazing.

But the foundation to build on is there and I'm excited to see what Smith and Kubiak can do with this team over the next 3-4 years. The Colts and the Pats are the elite of this league and it will take us a few years to get to their level of play and I have every confidence that this staff will get there.

:fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: :fans: