PDA

View Full Version : Wow

Texanmike02
09-24-2007, 03:36 AM
Ok. I know. Board pessamist checking in.

Haven't had time to read the posts. Only have a few minutes before I have to start studying again. I did find a sportsbar here and was able to watch the game.

One thing that strikes me as different this year is our ability to survive stretches of bad play. I know we lost. I know we made mistakes. But they didn't snowball. Last year's game wasn't that different from this one. We made a few mistakes early. (the game in Indy not our W) This time around we made some mistakes. I said many times that I felt the main problem we had with Carr was he was shell shocked. When things started to go badly for this team in the past, the wheels fell off. It seemed to get better as the season wore on but it was still an issue. This year, Schaub throws a bad luck INT and then a bad pass (I only saw the replay 3 times, but it looked to be the right read just he just needed to get the ball over Bracket) but we didn't fall apart. We are starting to overcome our mistakes. That's a HUGE step forward for this team. Yeah it was dissapointing to lose. Yeah we had mental lapses. Yeah we challenged a play we had no business challenging. But we are starting to overcome them. Here's my short list of positives and negatives.

Positives:

This team is starting to show some intestinal fortitude.

Davis made an awsome catch on the sideline.

The defense is getting beat on plays not schemes. We have now narrowed down most of our problems to correctable individual plays. We may not have all of the talent we need *cough cough cornerback cough* *sneeze safety* but we have a legitimate scheme in place.

Schaub seems to be mentally tougher than Carr was.

Even w/o Green and Johnson we put up a fight.

Schaub will learn from his mistakes.

Killings is going to be ok it sounds like.

Negatives:

HEY SCHAUB!!! When the play starts with 19 seconds left in the game.. you CANNOT take a sack.

Faggins is going to be a liaibility if we depend on him to cover anything better than a 3rd receiver.

Green - I was lambasted by some for questioning his durability. I think I was right in assuming he wouldn't play a full season. Lets just hope he gets back in the game next week.

Who in the world said to challenge that play? If we have that time out we get the ball back with over a minute to operate.

Johnson - Is it just me or does he get banged up alot? Don't have time to research it but the question begs to be asked IMHO.

On that last drive... where was the sense of urgency? I don't think we snapped the ball with more than 6 seconds left on the playclock once. Guys wern't running to the line they were meandering.

Overall this game was a positive for me. We are farther along in this process than I thought we would be. I may have to up my win total up to 10 games. Wow, am I talking playoffs? I'm not sure I'm ready for all of that. Lets keep in mind when we go into next week, this is the first time this team has dealt with a loss in its last 5 outings. I do expect us to manhandle the Falcons though. At least I'll get to watch it next week.

Mike

stingray
09-24-2007, 03:47 AM
I pretty much agree with everything you said. It just seems different now..

Thorn
09-24-2007, 08:25 AM
...... It just seems different now..

Old Texans: OK, how are they going to lose today? (and when they win) OMG, can you believe that?

New Texans: So what they're down by two touchdowns, we can come back. (and when they lose) No problem, we'll be back next week!

:texflag:

Texans Horror
09-24-2007, 09:00 AM
Aj has only missed a handful of games since he started playing for the Texans. I think there were three games in 2005, and now this one, so he's got a pretty good track record.

Green on the other hand - I was with you. I knew he'd get banged up eventually, though I expected him to make it through the first six games before it happened. Without him, this is a totally different team (and I don't mean that in a positive way).

HoustonFrog
09-24-2007, 09:10 AM
Aj has only missed a handful of games since he started playing for the Texans. I think there were three games in 2005, and now this one, so he's got a pretty good track record.

Green on the other hand - I was with you. I knew he'd get banged up eventually, though I expected him to make it through the first six games before it happened. Without him, this is a totally different team (and I don't mean that in a positive way).

You are right, aJ has only missed 3 games. Stud. so no question there

As far as the game, I'll say what I said yesterday on here...this team is different. People were ripping Schaub some yesterday and I didn't get it. We were down 17 pts, didn't have our top 2 receivers, didn't have our top 2 RBs, didn't have our starting center and yet he completed 14 straight passes. They were talking about this on the radio this morning too. That's incredible considering that the Colts knew what we had to do and just laid their ears back.

We are a tough team and people expect wins now, not just hoping to stay close or waiting for the other shoe to drop.

powerfuldragon
09-24-2007, 09:12 AM
andre davis showed up.

Texans_Chick
09-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Negatives:

HEY SCHAUB!!! When the play starts with 19 seconds left in the game.. you CANNOT take a sack.

On that last drive... where was the sense of urgency? I don't think we snapped the ball with more than 6 seconds left on the playclock once. Guys wern't running to the line they were meandering.

The sack happened right in front of me. The Colts brought the house and both tight ends were lined up out in routes. I actually was impressed he was able to hold onto the ball given that three guys were on him almost instantly from his left.

As for the last drive, I wondered about that too. I am wondering if part of that was trying to figure out what plays you are going to run given who you have left healthy to play. And that they might not have had the ability to score quickly, that it was more important to get it right than fast because if they don't score, it doesn't matter what happens at the end of the game.

badboy
09-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Did the Texans not anticipate a rush?

SheTexan
09-24-2007, 11:25 AM

Exactly!! Reading that lineup was like an adult reading a Dick and Jane book, it's over before you get started. The Colts had our number on that play, and the Texans should have anticipated that. JMO!

BeerTastesLikeVictory
09-24-2007, 11:31 AM

I would not have anticipated the rush. 19 seconds left far from the red zone down by 6, that spells hail mary to me. I would think they would leave 3 on the line and drop just about everyone else in prevent coverage.

powerfuldragon
09-24-2007, 11:33 AM
i don't care what anyone says, but this was a cool touchdown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lrKwgS4YYg).

DocBar
09-24-2007, 12:03 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/gamecenter/teamstats/NFL_20070923_IND@HOU
I know a lot of you guys think stats are for losers, but in this case I think we can see where we lost it. 40 yds rushing on 17 attempts and the 2 INTs. The 1st INT was just all around bad. A hot pass to a rookie WR. Bad luck. The 2nd one is all on Schaub, and it's something he's showing a tendency to do. He got away with one last week, but this week it cost us a chance at changing the course of the game in our favor. We can whine about injuries, but they are a fact of the game and we should've been able to get more yds on the ground or burn them when they stacked the box. I'm being pretty critical of our boys cuz they are a better football team than they have ever been and we lost to a team that isn't orders of magnitude better than us anymore. I'm not blasting our D line as much today as I was yesterday because NOBODY gets to Manning very often. That's just how it is. We have a pretty darned good team this year and the bar has been raised accordingly. NO MORE MORAL VICTORIES!!!