PDA

View Full Version : coaching

utahmark
09-23-2007, 11:47 PM
dont get me wrong these guys doing a great job. just some things we might could improve.

everyone is complaining about faggins and wanting him replaced but apparantly he is the best we have. so why do we keep getting him in situations where he is man up with wayne, harrison, smith. you have to give him some saftey help over the top so he can be more aggressive. as well as daunta is playing this year he could be left alone. at least try it.

the drive at the end of the half was pathetic that is loser football and i thought that left with capers. and at the end of the game they got to go with no hudle waisted way to much time on that last drive.

wasnt real happy with the play calling today.

these are the reasons i think we lost. and the fact that the colts are still better than us, but not by as much.

DBCooper
09-24-2007, 12:15 AM
dont get me wrong these guys doing a great job. just some things we might could improve.

everyone is complaining about faggins and wanting him replaced but apparantly he is the best we have. so why do we keep getting him in situations where he is man up with wayne, harrison, smith. you have to give him some saftey help over the top so he can be more aggressive. as well as daunta is playing this year he could be left alone. at least try it.

the drive at the end of the half was pathetic that is loser football and i thought that left with capers. and at the end of the game they got to go with no hudle waisted way to much time on that last drive.

wasnt real happy with the play calling today.

these are the reasons i think we lost. and the fact that the colts are still better than us, but not by as much.

We lost because Peyton Manning surgically dissected our secondary.

DiehardChris
09-24-2007, 12:15 AM

I agree with you on that point, and so does Gary Kubiak. He actually admitted that he wished he'd done that differently.

I got the feeling the coaching was uptight... that they were trying so hard to minimize mistakes that they didn't attack and weren't aggressive enough. Granted, you HAVE to take stuff like that into account when #18 is on the other side of the ball... but there was what, 1:40 left in the half, with only 25yards to field goal position? To me, that felt like we were running scared, and that's the philosophy of the old Texans. If it was just 40 seconds, then I could live with it - but I think there was a very, very realistic shot at us getting 3 out of that situation. With David Carr, yeah - you worry he'll throw a pick six... but Schaub isn't Carr. I don't think we lost because of that poor decision - I think we lost because our secondary came nowhere CLOSE to stopping Peyton Manning.

Soooo, with all that said - that's one of the very few glaring coaching issues I've seen Kubiak make. Hey, we got outplayed, and we got outcoached. This is what happens to teams that are up and coming... they lose to the great teams. We're on our way up for sure, but these kind of losses happen when we're in the position we're in. We're VASTLY improved from last season, and this game was a great indication of that. No way would we have been anywhere NEAR 6 points with last year's team.

Anyway, GO TEXANS!! The Falcons won't be an easy team to beat with all our injuries, but we're going to win no doubt!

utahmark
09-24-2007, 12:19 AM

that too...

Goldensilence
09-24-2007, 01:33 AM
my only real complaint was i didn't see a bigger sense of urgency on the lat scoring drive. With about 11-10 mins left in the fourth quarter and down two scores....7 minute drives are not what you need. However i think due to inuries and the fact this is the thirdgame our starting QB has seen and without his #1 receiver it's something i can live with.

The biggest thing i saw that impressed me about this team was when Killings was hurt...the WHOLE TEAM was around him. A guy gets from the PS onto the field and is a backup DT and the whole team really showed their support. We lost the game but this team showed me something beyond just football.It's the kind of game that to me at least....made me real proud to support such a team.

TexansSB07
09-24-2007, 01:33 AM
we LOST in 3rd quarter, Schaub doesn't throw pick, we score...game ends 31-30. BUT that said Schaub and coaching kept us in it, we had a chance and yeah should have, would have, could have. We lost but damn to see Peyton watch us get ball back with 1:56 and watching him squirm was NICE.

I think only Colts D felt they could win and still we came within a few ticks of going 3-0, and with next 4 opponents being Atlanta, Miami, Jacksonville and Tennessee. I can see us going 6-1

threetoedpete
09-24-2007, 02:28 AM

Thank you. All I sense this morning is a little shock at over evaluation of our tallent. After two games we were a top five defense. Who just happened to cut trails with a HOF first ballot QB....with all of his weapons. The sky is not falling. Pettie is not going any where.
we match up well in the next game. I don't know if there is enough fight in this group for a play off run.

Texanmike02
09-24-2007, 04:01 AM
Thank you. All I sense this morning is a little shock at over evaluation of our tallent. After two games we were a top five defense. Who just happened to cut trails with a HOF first ballot QB....with all of his weapons. The sky is not falling. Pettie is not going any where.
we match up well in the next game. I don't know if there is enough fight in this group for a play off run.

Pete is what he is. A nickelback. We desperately need a CB2. If a team knows they need 8 yards.. they will get it just by throwing to Pete's side. Its ok. You don't go from 2-14 to 12-4 in a season. Of course the sky is not falling. The team is farther along than I thought they would be at this poing.

Mike

Malloy
09-24-2007, 05:24 AM
You don't go from 2-14 to 12-4 in a season.

What about going 10-6 after a 6-10 season?

thunderkyss
09-24-2007, 07:36 AM

We allowed him to do that. Poor pass rush, and poor gap control.

stingray
09-24-2007, 07:41 AM
I'm not saying that faggins is great but I think that the d-line didn't get much pressure on Manning until towards the end of the game so that left the secondary at a great disadvantage. He had all day to throw. The teams that beat the colts will almost always get alot of pressure on manning. If you don't get pressure on him, he'll just tear you apart.

DocBar
09-24-2007, 09:29 AM
I agree with the poor pass rush but disagree with the poor gap control. We held a pretty dang good RB to 72 yds and the team to 92 yds. That ain't bad with 5-6 in the box and minimal blitzing. IMHO, NOT HITTING THE WR AT THE LOS AND DISRUPTING ROUTES/TIMING WAS THE MAIN PROBLEM!!!
:gun:

HoustonFrog
09-24-2007, 09:41 AM
I was disappointed with the drive at the end of the first half but I can actually see where Kubiak was coming from. After all the yardage we had given up, etc we were still only 4 back and after 2 bad plays in a row you are stuck with a situation where if you don't convert 3rd down you give the Colts the ball with 3 timeouts and a minute left. I think he was too closely trying to bridge the gap of having time to drive for a FG and giving them not enough time to tack on points themselves.

I thought our play calling was great considering the circumstances. we were not afraid to throw it at all and besides the ill advised throw Schaub was on target.

I'm not sure on the last scoring drive if I wanted more urgency or I wanted them to go for broke and try and onsides knowing the Colts were going to run it at you at that point. It is an either/or thing where you wouldn't need to use an onsides if you score earlier. I just think that was a personnel decision and you couldn't get what you needed to get done with who was left.

To start the game Manning had all day. However it hit a point where Manning locked in and threw 10 yard outs on Faggins the second half no matter what. Petey gave a 15 yard cushion.

Goldensilence
09-24-2007, 10:18 AM
I was disappointed with the drive at the end of the first half but I can actually see where Kubiak was coming from. After all the yardage we had given up, etc we were still only 4 back and after 2 bad plays in a row you are stuck with a situation where if you don't convert 3rd down you give the Colts the ball with 3 timeouts and a minute left. I think he was too closely trying to bridge the gap of having time to drive for a FG and giving them not enough time to tack on points themselves.

I thought our play calling was great considering the circumstances. we were not afraid to throw it at all and besides the ill advised throw Schaub was on target.

I'm not sure on the last scoring drive if I wanted more urgency or I wanted them to go for broke and try and onsides knowing the Colts were going to run it at you at that point. It is an either/or thing where you wouldn't need to use an onsides if you score earlier. I just think that was a personnel decision and you couldn't get what you needed to get done with who was left.

To start the game Manning had all day. However it hit a point where Manning locked in and threw 10 yard outs on Faggins the second half no matter what. Petey gave a 15 yard cushion.

Yep that lack of urgency was something i caught as well.

Exithios
09-24-2007, 12:52 PM

Our d-line did well.

The Colt's were killing us with the play-action which made our linebackers step up and out of any potential coverage. When the linebackers became gun shy, then Addai would simply take the ball to the outside while our linebackers were still trying to figure out the play action.

My $0.02

Texanmike02
09-28-2007, 03:46 AM
What about going 10-6 after a 6-10 season?

Its a possibility. But I'll be honest. I want to see good football as much as the next. I am however very excited about the nucleus of this team. We're young and we're formidable. If we have a few players we think will benefit from a little extra playing time, I'll sacrifice a W or two this year if it means having more experience next year (when i am expecting a 11 or 12 win season.

Mike

threetoedpete
09-28-2007, 03:59 AM
Yep that lack of urgency was something i caught as well.

Well, it's prety much a trend. No one mentioned it so I didn't bang on it. They left twenty seconds on the table in the first half of the K.C. game. That is what this coach does. That is the way he feels comfortable with managing a game. I got no problem with the results. Will say I hope they've learned their lesson on feeding one guy on one route too long in the same game. I think an NFL saftey sees it enough...he's going to figgure it out.

thunderkyss
09-28-2007, 07:32 AM
I agree with the poor pass rush but disagree with the poor gap control. We held a pretty dang good RB to 72 yds and the team to 92 yds. That ain't bad with 5-6 in the box and minimal blitzing. IMHO, NOT HITTING THE WR AT THE LOS AND DISRUPTING ROUTES/TIMING WAS THE MAIN PROBLEM!!!
:gun:

I can agree with that.

Our d-line did well.

The Colt's were killing us with the play-action which made our linebackers step up and out of any potential coverage. When the linebackers became gun shy, then Addai would simply take the ball to the outside while our linebackers were still trying to figure out the play action.

My $0.02

I can agree with that as well.

Well, it's prety much a trend. No one mentioned it so I didn't bang on it. They left twenty seconds on the table in the first half of the K.C. game. That is what this coach does. That is the way he feels comfortable with managing a game. I got no problem with the results.

I think He learned last year, that you don't want to get these guys in too much of a hurry. Things tend to go wrong when we do that, and things were already on the wrong side of wrong at that point in the game.

DBCooper
09-28-2007, 12:58 PM
Its a possibility. But I'll be honest. I want to see good football as much as the next. I am however very excited about the nucleus of this team. We're young and we're formidable. If we have a few players we think will benefit from a little extra playing time, I'll sacrifice a W or two this year if it means having more experience next year (when i am expecting a 11 or 12 win season.

Mike

Win Win Win!

Win this year, Win next year, Win all the time!