PDA

View Full Version : Cheap shots or Hard Play?

Koolaid Time
09-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Send the MASH Unit to Relaint...

Opinions .. were all these injuries as result of good old hard playing football.....

or was it a Colts cheapshot extravaganza???

I see something forming lwiththe Colts like Oilers-Steelers in the late 70's...

Bulluck53
09-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Indy doesn't take a lot of cheap shots.

Hervoyel
09-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Send the MASH Unit to Relaint...

Opinions .. were all these injuries as result of good old hard playing football.....

or was it a Colts cheapshot extravaganza???

I see something forming lwiththe Colts like Oilers-Steelers in the late 70's...

You make me embarrassed to support the same team as you. I've half a mind to delete this stupid, pointless thread. It was an unfortunate game with a lot of injuries. Every single play where a player was hurt was shown in detail repeatedly on TV. Nobody hit anyone with a cheap shot. By bringing this up you sound like a whining loser and make all Texans fans look that way by association.

Koolaid Time
09-23-2007, 03:35 PM
You make me embarrassed to support the same team as you. I've half a mind to delete this stupid, pointless thread. It was an unfortunate game with a lot of injuries. Every single play where a player was hurt was shown in detail repeatedly on TV. Nobody hit anyone with a cheap shot. By bringing this up you sound like a whining loser and make all Texans fans look that way by association.

Unfortunate game with a lot of injuries....True

But I havn't seen this many go down in a while...

And I didn't see a r-play on Mckinney

gg no re
09-23-2007, 03:40 PM
McKinney I kinda saw what happened.... he missed a block on that screen pass to Gado... I was wondering, "Why did he miss the block?!"

And then I see he's on the ground injured.

Marcus
09-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Herv, just go ahead and delete the thread. It will get ugly later on if it stays up.

MEGA SWATT
09-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Unfortunate game with a lot of injuries....True

But I havn't seen this many go down in a while...

And I didn't see a r-play on Mckinney

I saw DB Bob Sanders with one late hit on Putzier It was a helmet to the middle of his back when he was already down(laying on the field with 2 other defenders making the play).
No flag and that upset me.

I don't believe the injuries in general were cheapshots.

Though, the shot AJ took in Carolina was from an embarrassed panther defense that was kind of playing for mental-paybacks/pride. IMO

awtysst
09-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Are you serious? Cheap shots?! Where? I defy you to name opne cheap shot that resulted in an injury.

Yeah Herv, go ahead and delete this...

Koolaid Time
09-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Are you serious? Cheap shots?! Where? I defy you to name opne cheap shot that resulted in an injury.

Yeah Herv, go ahead and delete this...

I'm asking OPINIONS... not making accusations...

I wasn't at the game.... I didn't have a TV on here... Kind of shocking where you see the list on injured players...

so I'm asking what happened... just that...

DBCooper
09-23-2007, 03:53 PM

I wasn't at the game.... I didn't have a TV on here... Kind of shocking where you see the list on injured players...

so I'm asking what happened... just that...

Bad luck.

Marcus
09-23-2007, 04:13 PM

BS.

The title of the thread implies an accusation.

And here you didn't even watch the game. :rolleyes:

rmartin65
09-23-2007, 04:31 PM
I saw DB Bob Sanders with one late hit on Owen Daniels. It was a helmet to the middle of his back when he was already down(laying on the field with 2 other defenders making the play).

I saw that too. He had a couple other questionable shots as well.

Koolaid Time
09-23-2007, 04:35 PM
BS.

The title of the thread implies an accusation.

And here you didn't even watch the game. :rolleyes:

Kinda hard to visualize things when you are listening on the internet radio....

gjmac2
09-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Colts are a better team than we are.

Plain and simple.

Grams
09-23-2007, 05:02 PM
I saw DB Bob Sanders with one late hit on Owen Daniels. It was a helmet to the middle of his back when he was already down(laying on the field with 2 other defenders making the play).

I don't believe the injuries in general were cheapshots.

Though, the shot AJ took in Carolina was from an embarrassed panther defense that was kind of playing for mental-paybacks/pride. IMO

It was not a cheap shot. He did not use his helmet, it was a shoulder and he did not go full force. I saw it on tv and they showed the replay,

TexanSam
09-23-2007, 07:07 PM
i thought the guy that tackled jacoby could've just pushed him out since he was headed that way anyway...no need to just jump on top of him like that, but i wouldn't call it a cheapshot...just playing unnecessarily hard...

It was the punter that tackled Jacoby...i guess since he hardly gets to tackle anyone he might as well give it his best effort.

On an unrelated note, Hunter Smith made Matt Turk look like Chad Stanley (I just referenced 3 punters in one sentence...that has to be a first). He was absolutely booming the ball today.

mike moffat
09-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Koolaid...you're sounding like a typical Raider fan. Whinning about cheap shots, getting cheated by the refs and whatever else that you can come up with. The Colts are a good team and they play us hard. We got beat and picked up a lot of injuries. This is the NFL. It's a rough sport.
Don't start crying about cheap shots.
It's not Texan like.

smitty46953
09-23-2007, 07:54 PM
Kudo's to all of the classy Texan fans who put this guy in his place. When I read the title of the thread I thought wow these guys are grasping, however after reading your opinions I am that much more impressed with the Texan fans represented @ Texans Talk... Congrats on a good hard fought game...:doot:

DocBar
09-23-2007, 08:30 PM
We had bad enough injury problems before the game, then they got worse. On top of that, the Colt D looks pretty dang good. They really handed it to us. I saw no cheap shots. I saw a hard-hitting, swarming D just like we're trying to play. The Colt D wasn't the main problem. The Texan D WAS. Very little pass rush up front (Ugogh(sp?) handled Mario pretty well all day and Faggins couldn't cover a baby in a blanket factory. I said it all week...if we don't chuck 'em at the LOS and disrupt the timing, we'd be toast. Maybe Faggins is allergic to Harrison and Wayne. He wouldn't get within 10 yds. of them.

MEGA SWATT
09-23-2007, 10:31 PM
It was not a cheap shot. He did not use his helmet, it was a shoulder and he did not go full force. I saw it on tv and they showed the replay,

I said it was a LATE hit not a cheap shot so, :zipit: ok.

It was a LATE hit.

Grams
09-23-2007, 10:36 PM
I said it was a LATE hit not a cheap shot so, :zipit: ok.

It was a LATE hit.

OK so you said it was a late hit. You also said it was a helmet in the back. It was not.

DiehardChris
09-23-2007, 10:38 PM
This is the most embarassing thread ever.

NitroGSXR
09-23-2007, 10:50 PM
I don't know what kind of kool aid Koolaiid Time has been drinking but it reeks of something mighty rotten.

I sat pat while Johnsonfan pads his posts.

I sat pat when threetoedpete went on his drunken Colts rampage.

I won't sit pat here. This thread is wrong on so many levels. It must be locked. I won't settle for anything less.

Ahman Green is a running back. The running back job title requires one to accept a devasating blow after another.

Centers regularly go against 300 plus pound guys.

Jacoby was about to bring one back before he got nailed.

Killings' career is in jeopardy and he himself is the one who delivered that devastating blow.

After seeing the Colts players themselves huddle up and bow their own heads for Killings... this thread just disrespects Texan Nation in the worst way possible.

I would be proud to play the Indianapolis Colts anyday. I'm proud to have them in the AFC South along with the Houston Texans. All class the Colts are.

I have to demand that this thread be locked.

MEGA SWATT
09-23-2007, 10:51 PM
OK so you said it was a late hit. You also said it was a helmet in the back. It was not.

I also said it was to Daniels and I meant Putzier.
I watched a replay and it was a shoulder.
but it was LATE.:splits:
Which does not mean I agree with the op that they played cheap-shot ball. Just saying that was late.

TexansSB07
09-24-2007, 12:41 AM

Plain and simple.

CORRECTION

they WON the game, they are not BETTER or they would have embarassed us like they did in game 1 of 2006. We were down 2 Wrs & 2 RBs and we lost by 6 points..define BETTER:d:

threetoedpete
09-24-2007, 12:55 AM
It was the punter that tackled Jacoby...i guess since he hardly gets to tackle anyone he might as well give it his best effort.

On an unrelated note, Hunter Smith made Matt Turk look like Chad Stanley (I just referenced 3 punters in one sentence...that has to be a first). He was absolutely booming the ball today.

Agreed. You can cry all you want about the thread tilte. The fact was this team got punched in the mouth by a better, tougher football team. I didn't see the punter ask JJ to tea. But he got his chance to drive the kids shoulder into the ground, he took his oportunity will vim and vigar. And he walked out of relaint today with JJ's scalp on his lodge pole . What is bothersome to me is that no one retaliated. Maybe we got a bunch of steers instaed of bulls. We just got intimadated. Maybe there are still too many folks worried about their personal rice bowls and not about the team. All I know the GD punter shouldn't have left reliant unscathed.

threetoedpete
09-24-2007, 01:16 AM
CORRECTION

they WON the game, they are not BETTER or they would have embarassed us like they did in game 1 of 2006. We were down 2 Wrs & 2 RBs and we lost by 6 points..define BETTER:d:

And last year they were down three DT's and Bob Sanders. It wasn't tallent today. It was adittude. People who were in a position to make plays for us didn't. Every unit, every group. From the recochet off of JJ's hat, to Marlon's day at the beach with the FF eight inches from him, no one played the way a play off team plays in the crunch. The defeat was in toto and complete. Time to kick the crutch of "expansion" away. The colts punched us in the mouth all afternoon and we had no answer. People didn't stand up today for us. Pointing fingers at this point in time is pointless. They gotta grow up. Do they want the play off run or not ? Dungy beat us the way he beats every one...get ahead and watch the ralley with 33 seconds left fail.

They're not just better, they are decidedly better. The only way we catch them is if they get, just like last year, the injury bug. Their roster is better than ours. But we're gaining. At least it wasn't a thirty point loss.

beerlover
09-24-2007, 01:30 AM
And last year they were down three DT's and Bob Sanders. It wasn't tallent today. It was adittude. People who were in a position to make plays for us didn't. Every unit, every group. From the recochet off of JJ's hat, to Marlon's day at the beach with the FF eight inches from him, no one played the way a play off team plays in the crunch. The defeat was in toto and complete. Time to kick the crutch of "expansion" away. The colts punched us in the mouth all afternoon and we had no answer. People didn't stand up today for us. Pointing fingers at this point in time is pointless. They gotta grow up. Do they want the play off run or not ? Dungy beat us the way he beats every one...get ahead and watch the ralley with 33 seconds left fail.

They're not just better, they are decidedly better. The only way we catch them is if they get, just like last year, the injury bug. Their roster is better than ours. But we're gaining. At least it wasn't a thirty point loss.

they're 6 points better thats all & Andre Johnson means as much to our offense as Bob Sanders does to their defense. so parden to differ, cause usually I don't but they not only have more talent, they also have more experience, a system thats been in place a while plus the face of the NFL in Peyton Manning. I'm not being a :homer: the Texans gave it everything they had & left it on the field, I just wish the fans could the same :wild:

TooManyWeapons
09-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Ugly thread, but great response from Texans fans.

Every forum has it's arrtards, but by and large you guys conduct yourselves with class.

Your team got banged up - BAD - but you will recover. As I said in another post, this is much better to have happen early in the season than late.

As for the Sanders hit - yes, I saw it. I thought it was late too, but this is the thing you've got to understand about Bob Sanders - he was probably already in the air before the ball carrier was stopped. The guy is like a rocket launcher.

As for Hunter Smith injuring Jones on the return... Yeah, that wasn't pretty. The tackle didn't look bad at first but I did see Jones' shoulder go into the ground on replay. Thing is, Hunter doesn't tackle much. He was just making sure he didn't screw it up.

SheTexan
09-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Ugly thread, but great response from Texans fans.

Every forum has it's arrtards, but by and large you guys conduct yourselves with class.

Your team got banged up - BAD - but you will recover. As I said in another post, this is much better to have happen early in the season than late.

As for the Sanders hit - yes, I saw it. I thought it was late too, but this is the thing you've got to understand about Bob Sanders - he was probably already in the air before the ball carrier was stopped. The guy is like a rocket launcher.

As for Hunter Smith injuring Jones on the return... Yeah, that wasn't pretty. The tackle didn't look bad at first but I did see Jones' shoulder go into the ground on replay. Thing is, Hunter doesn't tackle much. He was just making sure he didn't screw it up.

Hunter whacked JJ on the neck right as he was tackling him to the ground. I thought it was a deliberate hit meant to injure, at first. I was so POd I was screaming for a personal foul penalty and wanted to climb over the rail and beat the crap out of him. lol BUT, in hindsite, I just don't know. THe only person who knows if it was deliberate is the punter. Truthfully, simply because I don't want to think poorly of the Colts, I think Hunter Smith was just trying to bring JJ down, and ugly or not, he succeeded.

TooManyWeapons
09-24-2007, 11:12 AM
Hunter whacked JJ on the neck right as he was tackling him to the ground. I thought it was a deliberate hit meant to injure, at first. I was so POd I was screaming for a personal foul penalty and wanted to climb over the rail and beat the crap out of him. lol BUT, in hindsite, I just don't know. THe only person who knows if it was deliberate is the punter. Truthfully, simply because I don't want to think poorly of the Colts, I think Hunter Smith was just trying to bring JJ down, and ugly or not, he succeeded.

I'm not in his head, but I would be BLOWN AWAY if he was deliberately trying to injure Jones.

Here's the thing - he's a punter. He's not exactly doing tackling drills in practice every day - he's not experienced at it and probably doesn't do it very well. If it had been a dedicated defensive player or special teams coverage personnel who hit him I'm sure it would have been a cleaner hit... as it was, I think he was just trying to stop the guy somehow.

Besides, deliberately trying to injure other players is not, nor has it ever been, how Dungy and the Colts play ball.

HOU-TEX
09-24-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm not in his head, but I would be BLOWN AWAY if he was deliberately trying to injure Jones.

Here's the thing - he's a punter. He's not exactly doing tackling drills in practice every day - he's not experienced at it and probably doesn't do it very well. If it had been a dedicated defensive player or special teams coverage personnel who hit him I'm sure it would have been a cleaner hit... as it was, I think he was just trying to stop the guy somehow.

Besides, deliberately trying to injure other players is not, nor has it ever been, how Dungy and the Colts play ball.

I agree. I didn't see anything wrong with the tackle. JJ just landed the wrong way.

The punter saved a TD. If it was Turk making the tackle on y'alls returner, it would've been an outstanding TD saving tackle.

Anyways, it was a hard fought game and the Colts just made a play or two more than we did. I just wish it wouldn't have been so costly for our team.

Good luck :)

Porky
09-24-2007, 11:21 AM
The only one I had a problem with was Hunter Smith. I wouldn't say it was a dirty play, but maybe an unneccesary one would be a better description. It was clear that Jacoby was already on the way out of bounds. A slight push would have done the trick. Instead, he jumped on him like he was some kind of horse, and slammed his shoulder into the turf, thus causing the injury. Again, it was a borderline clean play, but a clean play doesn't mean it was neccessary. I was perturbed about that one. The rest were just the football gods once again giving the finger to Houston football fans.:devilpig:

SheTexan
09-24-2007, 11:25 AM

I agree, it has never been the Colts style to do that. At first I wasn't sure WHO brought JJ down. I didn't know it was the punter until later.
Probably just one of those moments in a punters logic of "CRAP, I've got to bring this guy down!! How the hell am I suppose to do that!" lol

TooManyWeapons
09-24-2007, 11:25 AM
I just wish it wouldn't have been so costly for our team.

Me too. That sucks.

powerfuldragon
09-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Lame.

painekiller
09-25-2007, 01:55 AM
The only one I had a problem with was Hunter Smith. I wouldn't say it was a dirty play, but maybe an unneccesary one would be a better description. It was clear that Jacoby was already on the way out of bounds. A slight push would have done the trick. Instead, he jumped on him like he was some kind of horse, and slammed his shoulder into the turf, thus causing the injury. Again, it was a borderline clean play, but a clean play doesn't mean it was neccessary. I was perturbed about that one. The rest were just the football gods once again giving the finger to Houston football fans.:devilpig:

I doubt Hunter was looking at the sideline, just the back of Jacoby and he did not want give up another ST TD to us.

And if you want to look at a cheap shot, check out the hit Wilfork does to Losman in the Buffalo/Pats game, it was a clear forearm shiver to the planted leg of Losman. Looked like a cheap shot to me.

Koolaid Time
09-25-2007, 07:34 AM
I still haven't seen a replay of how Steve injured his knee...

The sad thing is that with this injury his career is about over.. At his age its tough to rehab. It won't ever be like before.

Texan_Bill
09-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Watching the NFL replay on the NFLN, I only saw one play that could be somewhat construed as a late hit. It was Bob Sanders putting his shoulder in that back of Daniels or Putzier after he was down. It was just one of those plays, and not indicative of a cheap shotting team, or even suggesting that Sanders is dirty...

Again, it was just one of those plays that could have been called but wasn't and had absolutely NO influence on the outcome of the game...

Marcus
09-25-2007, 08:23 AM
I watched that play over and over, looking for what it was that some of found dirty or unethical about how he was tackled. That punter didn't hav any time to consider his options on how to tackle Jones. All that was in his mind, at that moment, was that Jones was going to score, and he was the last one who could do anything about it. It was just another NFL type of tackle.

Yeah, it sucks bigtime that Jacoby got hurt. But it dang sure will not be the last. He's a receiver in the NFL now, not back in Lane college. When he comes back, he's going to have to go over the middle sometime. He's going to get clothes-lined, he's going to helicoptered, he's going to get clobbered, and that's only when he gets a pass thrown to him. Other tmes, he's going to be needed to block. He's going to needed to take out a safety. Other times, depending on the defensive call, he might end up taking on a middle linebacker, like Ray Lewis.

Welcome to the NFL, Jacoby Jones.

DocBar
09-25-2007, 08:53 AM
I watched that play over and over, looking for what it was that some of found dirty or unethical about how he was tackled. That punter didn't hav any time to consider his options on how to tackle Jones. All that was in his mind, at that moment, was that Jones was going to score, and he was the last one who could do anything about it. It was just another NFL type of tackle.

Yeah, it sucks bigtime that Jacoby got hurt. But it dang sure will not be the last. He's a receiver in the NFL now, not back in Lane college. When he comes back, he's going to have to go over the middle sometime. He's going to get clothes-lined, he's going to helicoptered, he's going to get clobbered, and that's only when he gets a pass thrown to him. Other tmes, he's going to be needed to block. He's going to needed to take out a safety. Other times, depending on the defensive call, he might end up taking on a middle linebacker, like Ray Lewis.

Welcome to the NFL, Jacoby Jones.
You forgot to mention that being a punt returner is one of the scariest jobs in the NFL and subjects the returner to some serious hits.

gjmac2
09-25-2007, 10:00 AM

My point exactly. There is no shame in saying that the Super Bowl Champions are better than the Texans. The shame is in blaming cheap/dirty shots, injuries or an excuse for the loss.

I pasted this quote from Coach Kubiak in another thread. I have been an Oiler/Texan fan for 25+ years, and have never heard a Houston Head Coach say anything like this before:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=3671

“I’m proud of their effort. But the thing that’s changed around here is that we won’t take any moral victories. We’re here to win. And we’re here to play hard and we expect good results. So I’m proud of those guys and they know that. But that’s not what we’re after. We’re trying to turn this whole program around and be a winner week in and week out.”

Just awesome! To me, it means no more excuses, no more crying, no more whining. It's time to bring Houston a champion!

:texflag:

Porky
09-25-2007, 11:12 AM
I doubt Hunter was looking at the sideline, just the back of Jacoby and he did not want give up another ST TD to us.

And if you want to look at a cheap shot, check out the hit Wilfork does to Losman in the Buffalo/Pats game, it was a clear forearm shiver to the planted leg of Losman. Looked like a cheap shot to me.

I didn't say it was a cheap shot, I just felt it was unneccessary. Not seeing a huge giant white line below you might give you a hint that you are about to be out of bounds.

Goldensilence
09-25-2007, 12:00 PM

Plain and simple.

I wish some other people would just out and say that instead of some of the talk i've seen posted. Because in truth much as some of us hate to admit that. ITIWIS The Colts are a better team. We played them close and took them down to the last drive or two.

Let's move on to Atlanta this week and hope this team learns from the last game. If there's one thing I've seen in this team. Resiliency.

Although he probably won't admit it...Schaub is probably looking at this next game with something to prove.

Koolaid Time
09-25-2007, 06:16 PM
I wish some other people would just out and say that instead of some of the talk i've seen posted. Because in truth much as some of us hate to admit that. ITIWIS The Colts are a better team. We played them close and took them down to the last drive or two.

Let's move on to Atlanta this week and hope this team learns from the last game. If there's one thing I've seen in this team. Resiliency.

Although he probably won't admit it...Schaub is probably looking at this next game with something to prove.

I'm not disputing that the Colts won fair and square...

I listened to the game on the radio, and didn't see it on TV.

The way the announcers called it led me to believe Jacoby was a cheap shot.. "slams him down out of bounds" was what I heard...

Enough major injuries to fill up a ER just makes me curious..

Double Barrel
09-25-2007, 06:34 PM
i thought the guy that tackled jacoby could've just pushed him out since he was headed that way anyway...no need to just jump on top of him like that, but i wouldn't call it a cheapshot...just playing unnecessarily hard...

Agreed. You can cry all you want about the thread tilte. The fact was this team got punched in the mouth by a better, tougher football team. I didn't see the punter ask JJ to tea. But he got his chance to drive the kids shoulder into the ground, he took his oportunity will vim and vigar. And he walked out of relaint today with JJ's scalp on his lodge pole . What is bothersome to me is that no one retaliated. Maybe we got a bunch of steers instaed of bulls. We just got intimadated. Maybe there are still too many folks worried about their personal rice bowls and not about the team. All I know the GD punter shouldn't have left reliant unscathed.

I'm not saying it was a cheap hit, but if the punter wants to play football, I say we play football with him next game. Don't be surprised if a block is saved for his sternum. I hope it's a fair shot, but a nice hard one that lays him out (injury not wished, just a welcome to the NFL shot). I was really hoping that JJ would lower his head and just drive into the punter, but that's probably against his instinct as a WR and return man.

JJ said he worked out with Hunter at the combine, so he knew the dude was athletic. But he refused to make the cut, and paid the price.