PDA

View Full Version : Recieve or not to recieve

whiskeyrbl
09-22-2007, 06:44 AM
This is a question I have been thinking about for the last couple of days and would like to know your thoughts. With knowing the fire power the Colts have and how Manning controls the 2 minute offense my question is. At the coin toss, if we win the flip do you recieve or kick to the Colts? The reason I ask is if the game is close around halftime and the Colts get the ball and score, then they would get the ball to start the second half and have a chance to score 6-14 unanswered points. In what could be the determining drive (opening drive of the second half ) I personally would like the ball then. I believe in our D, but being realistic the Colts are a powerful Offense that is hard to stop. Whats your take?

BattleRedToro
09-22-2007, 06:52 AM
I would kick the ball first, so that I could have it to start the 2nd Half, but it seems most coaches want the ball first if they win the toss. So, I would expect Kubiak and Dungy would both elect to recieve, given the choice.

TheCD
09-22-2007, 10:21 AM
I've always been a proponent of kicking it first and getting it first in the 2nd half. I want to see what my defense does first. However, perhaps putting your offense out first gives them a no-pressure chance to get in rhythm better.

TexansLucky13
09-22-2007, 10:25 AM
I am a defense guy so I must say.... kick it off. Let your offense fuel off of a big defensive stand. The momentum will help you score some points, and if your defense is good enough, you could very well end up with better field position than your average KR.

Honestly I see no reason in choosing to get the ball to start the game.

Lucky
09-22-2007, 10:27 AM
I've always been a proponent of kicking it first and getting it first in the 2nd half.
Deferring the decision to the 2nd half is a college rule. In the NFL, the coin flip winner gets to decide to kick or receive the opening kickoff. The coin flip loser decides in the 2nd half. In this scenario, the Colts would likely receive the opening kickoff and the 2nd half kickoff.

TexansLucky13
09-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Deferring the decision to the 2nd half is a college rule. In the NFL, the coin flip winner gets to decide to kick or receive the opening kickoff. The coin flip loser decides in the 2nd half. In this scenario, the Colts would likely receive the opening kickoff and the 2nd half kickoff.

Darn, I always thought it was the other way around. I guess I have been playing too much Madden.

CloakNNNdagger
09-22-2007, 10:35 AM

Beat me to it:) ...........If this were not the case, on the premise that the D in general tires more easily than the offense (all factors being equal), it would many times be more advantageous to receive the ball near the end portion of the game. If you look at the OT NFL statistics, there is only a slight advantage to the receiving team........although this is for "sudden death" which is altogether a different set of circumstances.