PDA

View Full Version : 49ers Lawson is out for the year

Goldensilence
09-20-2007, 03:57 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3029152&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

The San Francisco 49ers suffered their first major injury blow of the season Thursday when they learned linebacker Manny Lawson was lost for the season because of a torn ACL.

Lawson suffered the knee injury late in practice Wednesday and a subsequent MRI revaled the tear. He will require season-ending surgery and will eventually be placed on the injured reserve list.

"I heard a pop, and I remember what (teammate) C.J. Brewer had talked about when he (injured his knee), so I was nervous," Lawson told the team's Web site. "I tried to test it out, but really I just had to wait for the MRI."

Lawson was a first-round draft pick in 2006 who signed a five-year deal worth a maximum value of $10.14 million. In 16 games as a rookie, including 11 starts, Lawson had 57 tackles, 2 sacks, one interception and two passes defensed.

This season, he was coming into his own this season as a pass-rusher.

His likely replacement is veteran Hannibal Navies in the 49ers' 3-4 defense.

Sucks for the 49ers. If i remember right this is the guy people were raving over saying he was the reason the NC State D was so good.

I also wanted to add ...what a great name for a football player Hannibal Navies.

texasguy346
09-20-2007, 04:00 PM
They also lost Moore, a kid they drafted out of Nebraska as an 3-4 OLB, for the year prior to the season. Losing Lawson is going to hurt the Niners' D a ton.

The Pencil Neck
09-20-2007, 04:03 PM
That's a tough loss.

I didn't realize they were playing him at LB.