PDA

View Full Version : T.O. Fined for Patriot mocking celebration

real
09-20-2007, 10:51 AM
IRVING – Terrell Owens' end zone celebration has cost him $7,500.

The NFL fined Owens on Wednesday for violating Rule 12, Section 3, Article 1 of the official league rules that state, "possession or use of foreign or extraneous object(s) that are not part of the uniform during the game on the field or the sideline, or using the ball as a prop."

Owens used the football to simulate a camera Sunday in Miami, as he mocked New England's illegal video taping of the New York Jets' defensive coaches in Week 1.

"I'm like [Bill] Belichick," Owens said. "I misinterpreted the rules."

Last season, Owens was fined by the league for a touchdown celebration at Washington, in which he faked being asleep after it was reported that he could not stay awake in meetings.

"Man, next thing, we're going to be playing rugby," Owens said. "Can't even use the football for nothing anymore. Dude, it's like they're trying to find any way to take fun out of the game. I'm kind of limited right now in what I can do."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/092007dnspocowdate.303f90f.html

"Im like Bill Belichick. I misinterpreted the rules."

Stealing a line from Jim Rome:

If T.O. wasn't the worst person in the world, he'd easily be the best. LOL...

:fans:

Yankee_In_TX
09-20-2007, 10:53 AM
I think the fine is BS.

I missed the Washington one.

Texan_Bill
09-20-2007, 11:07 AM
I think the fine is BS.

I missed the Washington one.

No worries, he has "24,992,500.00 reasons" not to be concerned about it

real
09-20-2007, 11:09 AM
I think the fine is BS.

I agree.

I think a penalty flag was enough.

bah007
09-20-2007, 12:04 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/092007dnspocowdate.303f90f.html

"Im like Bill Belichick. I misinterpreted the rules."

Stealing a line from Jim Rome:

If T.O. wasn't the worst person in the world, he'd easily be the best. LOL...

:fans:

Did Chad Johnson get fined for the HoF jacket celebration?

real
09-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Nope.

bah007
09-20-2007, 12:08 PM
So T.O. gets fined for using a football as a prop, but Ocho Cinco does not get fined for "possession or use of foreign or extraneous object(s) that are not part of the uniform during the game on the field or the sideline"?

real
09-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Yep.

Chad does it, and it is labled as "funny".

I think Goodell is doing too much.

jerek
09-20-2007, 12:13 PM
I understand that the dance was somewhat tasteless, but I found it hilarious.

IMO it's relatively a sad commentary on the NFL's [in]ability to make fun of itself.

bah007
09-20-2007, 12:19 PM
The NFL is just playing favorites.

Chad Johnson is a "nice" guy so rules dont apply to him.

But Terrell Owens is a "bad" guy so he gets fined.

ChrisG
09-20-2007, 12:22 PM
the NFL is getting so stupid about TD celebrations. is like all those elementary schools banning tag because it may make someone feel bad. as long as its not offensive let them have some fun

TexansLucky13
09-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Yep.

Chad does it, and it is labled as "funny".

I think Goodell is doing too much.

He has no time to deal with Ocho Cinco because all of the other Bengals players are in front of him in line

:whip:

DiehardChris
09-20-2007, 12:28 PM
I hate T.O. and the Cowboys - but I thought the spy camera celebration was hilarious.

Hervoyel
09-20-2007, 12:29 PM
If I was TO (and it pains me to say this because I cannot stand this man) I'd sue the NFL over the fine, damages, and legal fees and I'd use the fact that Chad Johnson didn't get fined for the HOF jacket as evidence.

Maybe I wouldn't win but I'd make them go through the motions. Somebody needs to put these guys in their place and bring some perspective back to the NFL. The fact that the person doing it would be Terrell Owens would just be icing on the cake.

bah007
09-20-2007, 12:32 PM
I dont know about suing.

I would definitely appeal the fine & use the Chad Johnson situation as a reason why.

Specnatz
09-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Did Chad Johnson get fined for the HoF jacket celebration?

The reason Chad didnot get fined is because he did it on the sideline versus on the field or the endzone.

bah007
09-20-2007, 12:35 PM
The reason Chad didnot get fined is because he did it on the sideline versus on the field or the endzone.

The rule states that the you cant use a prop on the field, in the endzone, or on the sideline.

real
09-20-2007, 12:38 PM
The rule states that the you cant use a prop on the field, in the endzone, or on the sideline.

Yep.

Double Barrel
09-20-2007, 12:40 PM
the NFL is getting so stupid about TD celebrations. is like all those elementary schools banning tag because it may make someone feel bad. as long as its not offensive let them have some fun

Maybe the NFL thinks it's just classless. idonno:

We don't have any showboats on the Texans, and I have had a blast for six seasons now. I'm not sure some 'look at me' celebration is going to enhance my enjoyment or increase the fun factor.

Bingo! And we have a winner with factual information.

The NFL is not playing favorites. TO used the ball as a prop. End of story.

HoustonFrog
09-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Sorry I know he is a moron but I think this was pretty funny!

I also love CJs stuff but he is just funny and I find no harm in him.

real
09-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Maybe the NFL thinks it's just classless. idonno:

We don't have any showboats on the Texans, and I have had a blast for six seasons now. I'm not sure some 'look at me' celebration is going to enhance my enjoyment or increase the fun factor..

True!

Bingo! And we have a winner with factual information.

The NFL is not playing favorites. TO used the ball as a prop. End of story

The rule says something to the effect of "the ball or any other props"

It's not about whether or not T.O. should have been flagged for it...

It's about the fact that he was fined...

I don't even think Chads celebration was flagged...

WWJD
09-20-2007, 12:46 PM

He put that jacket on on the sideline..so by the rule you quote here he should have been fined. Chad I mean.

bah007
09-20-2007, 12:47 PM
He put that jacket on on the sideline..so by the rule you quote here he should have been fined. Chad I mean.

Exactly.

Specnatz
09-20-2007, 12:50 PM
I thought the rule was inregards to on the field or endzone, not the sideline.

WWJD
09-20-2007, 12:52 PM
It doesn't bother me one way or the other but I beg to differ about the Texans not having any showboats. Perhaps Coach Kubiak has shut them up but I seem to remember Jacoby Jones doing the Deion highkick into the endzone not so long ago...doing the flip into the endzone....Mario telling the crowd to "shhh" and also even Andre. Some would consider that showboating.

To each his own. I personally like the guy that just hands the ball to the ref and celebrates with his teammates with a high five or whatever.

bah007
09-20-2007, 12:53 PM
I thought the rule was inregards to on the field or endzone, not the sideline.

On ESPN's First Take, Jeffrey Chadiha read out of the rulebook & the rule said no props on the field, endzone, or sideline.

bah007
09-20-2007, 12:54 PM
It doesn't bother me one way or the other but I beg to differ about the Texans not having any showboats. Perhaps Coach Kubiak has shut them up but I seem to remember Jacoby Jones doing the Deion highkick into the endzone not so long ago...doing the flip into the endzone....Mario telling the crowd to "shhh" and also even Andre. Some would consider that showboating.

To each his own. I personally like the guy that just hands the ball to the ref and celebrates with his teammates with a high five or whatever.

I agree with all of that.

I dont hate guys who showboat, but I cant stand the guys who think that their TD celebration is more important than the actual TD.

WWJD
09-20-2007, 01:03 PM
I've actually sort of changed my position of the showboating or touchdown celebration..I use to just hate it. And then I started seeing more guys doing it and just thought well sometimes it IS funny..the T.O. thing with the cheerleaders was really funny for example.

I prefer the old school stuff..score and hand the ball off..I prefer that but some of the things they do is funny.

I think they just have to know that sometimes it can backfire on you. Ask Leon Lett about that.

real
09-20-2007, 01:11 PM
When you've worked so hard at something and your hard work pays off, sometimes it's difficult to not let the screaming crowd and adrenaline get the best of you.

WWJD
09-20-2007, 01:15 PM
When you've worked so hard at something and your hard work pays off, sometimes it's difficult to not let the screaming crowd and adrenaline get the best of you.

Yea. That's true. It's a sign of the times as well. Old time players did not do this..Earl Campbell never did this and I'm sure he was working as hard as anybody playing today. Different times, different players!

I remember the Redskins did something where the whole line did some sort of celebration or the DB's...bugged the heck out of me. From a female perspective I say if grown men want to make fools out of themselves let them. It just makes us woman look smarter! :)

Double Barrel
09-20-2007, 01:43 PM
I've actually sort of changed my position of the showboating or touchdown celebration..I use to just hate it. And then I started seeing more guys doing it and just thought well sometimes it IS funny..the T.O. thing with the cheerleaders was really funny for example.

I prefer the old school stuff..score and hand the ball off..I prefer that but some of the things they do is funny.

I think they just have to know that sometimes it can backfire on you. Ask Leon Lett about that.

I feel the same way. I used to hate it, then remembered how much fun I had as a kid when Whiteshoes Johnson did his thing back in the Luv Ya Blue days, so now I'm indifferent to it.

But in reference to your earlier post, I think it's a fine line between 'celebration' and 'showboating'. The first is a spontaneous display of joy, and the second is an ostentatious display for attention. Notice that AJ, Mario, and Jacoby Jones do not open their mouths to the media the way TO and Chad Johnson are constantly known to do. It is my opinion that the fine line is crossed when a player becomes as known for his excessive celebrations as much as his talent. JMO, tho'.

I'd be very interested to read the actual NFL rulebook concerning celebrations and props. All I have been able to find is articles, but nothing from the actual official rulebook. If it does come down to playing favorites by the NFL, I'd be highly disappointed.

WWJD
09-20-2007, 02:02 PM
I didn't realize T.O. was making fun of the Pats. Dense!

kastofsna
09-20-2007, 02:03 PM
there's a definite difference between celebrating and showboating. the NFL doesn't mind celebrating at ALL. they encourage it, actually. it shows unity amongst teammates and hypes up the fans. the showboating is completely seperate from the game and, to me, shows the players are more worried about their latest end zone display than the game itself on the field

PapaL
09-20-2007, 02:55 PM

Does the rule say that the jacket has to be an NFL jacket? If it said "Hey Mom" would that bad? It was neither deragotry nor aimed towards the NFL. Hence why he was not fined for it.

Two different cases here.

powerfuldragon
09-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Lame.

as said earlier, the flag was more than enough.

PapaL
09-20-2007, 03:00 PM

Incorrect; players put jackets and sports cap on after leaving the field of play.

Does anyone of a rule that says on NFL Gear is allowed on the sidelines?

BigBull17
09-20-2007, 05:08 PM
They fined T.O because the Pats are the darlings of the leauge and T.O basically threw it in Goodells face.

bah007
09-20-2007, 05:13 PM
Does the rule say that the jacket has to be an NFL jacket? If it said "Hey Mom" would that bad? It was neither deragotry nor aimed towards the NFL. Hence why he was not fined for it.

Two different cases here.

Incorrect; players put jackets and sports cap on after leaving the field of play.

LOL. I'm sensing that you agree with the fine.

StarStruck
09-20-2007, 07:25 PM
I don't have any problems with celebrations. I cut and splice what goes though my mind on a lot of stuff. Some are lame, some are entertaining, and I laugh at what I enjoy and don't really have a reaciton to the ones that don't have entertainment value to me. The thing I care about most is the player has done the job on the field to justify the celebration or antics off the field.

WWJD
09-21-2007, 08:26 AM

Not a team jacket...I'm talking about the jacket he used as a joke after that TD. The HOF jacket. He was on the sideline.

HOU-TEX
09-21-2007, 10:16 AM

Remember when Urlacher was thumped 100 grrr for wearing a vitamin water cap?

After seeing that I came to the conclusion that the NFL doesn't like players wearing anything not affiliated with the NFL.

Gatorade's an official sponser of the NFL.:shades:

Texan_Bill
09-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Remember Jim McMahon getting fined for his headband, spawning him into wearing a headband that read "Rozelle"

WWJD
09-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Remember Jim McMahon getting fined for his headband, spawning him into wearing a headband that read "Rozelle"

I do remember that and he was always doing something when he was playing. Definitely a character.