PDA

View Full Version : VY not perfect?

Hookem Horns
09-19-2007, 10:35 PM
http://www.t-g.com/story/1277503.html

gg no re
09-19-2007, 11:00 PM
I'd be mad too if I could've won a game had my GM done something over the offseason!

Although VY could've saved face by putting on less of a show for the media, I could understand him.

bah007
09-19-2007, 11:02 PM
There is no reason to fault a guy for being mad after a tough loss.

But taking it out on the media is never a good strategy.

Bulluck53
09-19-2007, 11:49 PM
I'm with the majority on this one... VY needs to grow up.

But, like I said on another board, I'd rather have a pissed off Vince Young then a laughing, joking Steve McNair after a loss.

Double Barrel
09-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Wow...he's human after all.

As much of a playmaker that VY can be, the fact remains that it's a team sport and he'll need those around him to step up and make plays.

TexanRevolution
09-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Sweet...I'm looking forward to the mother of all meltdowns (you know it's coming)

Wolf
09-22-2007, 10:00 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-titans-young&prov=ap&type=lgns

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Titans quarterback Vince Young was fined $7,500 for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in last Sunday's 22-20 loss to Indianapolis.

The NFL fined Young for throwing the ball at Colts defensive back Kelvin Hayden just before halftime and it cost the team 15 yards. Hayden had pushed at Young's head, and the quarterback responded by tossing the ball toward the ground at Hayden's feet.

Young declined to comment on the fine during Saturday's practice before Tennessee's Monday night game in New Orleans.

The penalty erased Young's 7-yard run and turned third-and-3 at the Titans 44 to third-and-18. Tennessee punted a play later and went into halftime trailing 16-6.

2BCF
09-23-2007, 12:18 AM
IMHO, it's a ridiculous penalty & fine. Hayden initiated it while out of bounds.
If anything, it should've been offsetting penalties w/no fine.

bah007
09-23-2007, 04:41 AM
IMHO, it's a ridiculous penalty & fine. Hayden initiated it while out of bounds.
If anything, it should've been offsetting penalties w/no fine.

Too bad that in the NFL its the guy who retaliates that gets penalized, not the guy who starts it.

BattleRedToro
09-23-2007, 06:30 AM
The one thing I hear or read the most from Vince Young fans is " He is a winner", or " All he does is win." Well, if that were true, then he would have won a State Championship for every year that he was a starter in High School, a National Championship for every year he was a starter in College, and the Super Bowl last year, as well as every year that follows. If all he did was win then, why did he lose 5 games as a starter last year? A win in any of those games would have put the Titans in the playoffs. The reason is quite simple, Vince Young is not a winner, nor does he always win. He is a player. A physically talented athlete in a team sport, and nothing more. Sometimes his team wins and sometimes it doesn't. There is nothing so special about him that makes him always win. When his team, as a whole, plays good enough to win, it does, and when it doesn't, it doesn't. Maybe, just maybe, after this year, the Vince Young fans that have placed him on such a high pedestal will realize that he isn't perfect and stop refering to him as a winner.

Silver Oak
09-23-2007, 08:29 AM
I love my players to have fire in the belly, but that has to be tempered with respect for teammates and the guys on the other side of the field.

To not shake hands...well, that's just plain disrespectful.

The Colts didn't play to their full capability, yet they won and they should have been congratulated.

As for the media scene...Dennis Green anyone?

:fans:

HoustonFrog
09-23-2007, 08:45 AM
The one thing I hear or read the most from Vince Young fans is " He is a winner", or " All he does is win." Well, if that were true, then he would have won a State Championship for every year that he was a starter in High School, a National Championship for every year he was a starter in College, and the Super Bowl last year, as well as every year that follows. If all he did was win then, why did he lose 5 games as a starter last year? A win in any of those games would have put the Titans in the playoffs. The reason is quite simple, Vince Young is not a winner, nor does he always win. He is a player. A physically talented athlete in a team sport, and nothing more. Sometimes his team wins and sometimes it doesn't. There is nothing so special about him that makes him always win. When his team, as a whole, plays good enough to win, it does, and when it doesn't, it doesn't. Maybe, just maybe, after this year, the Vince Young fans that have placed him on such a high pedestal will realize that he isn't perfect and stop refering to him as a winner.

That's ridiculous. Being a winner doesn't make you perfect. The way you see it he should never lose a game. Being a winner is much more than Ws and Ls. It is being a leader. Aikman was a winner yet he lost a few big games and won alot of other ones. Every QB does. Your statements doesn't hold true for ANYONE who has ever played in the NFL and is purely to discredit. I'll never get this board and its hatred for a guy who is a great athlete, wanted to play here and who did help turn a team around. He did nothing to us. Stop complaining because of obsession of fans around here. VY didn't cause them to constantly talk about him. The guy is a winner and I'd rather have the guy explained in the article than the guy we had for 5 years here that laughed off losses, etc. Lost in the whole "look VY isn't perfect rants" is the fact that the Titans are still competitive and winning some games despite having a GM and owner who did nothing to make them better in the ofseason.

BattleRedToro
09-23-2007, 09:31 AM
That's ridiculous. Being a winner doesn't make you perfect. The way you see it he should never lose a game. Being a winner is much more than Ws and Ls. It is being a leader. Aikman was a winner yet he lost a few big games and won alot of other ones. Every QB does. Your statements doesn't hold true for ANYONE who has ever played in the NFL and is purely to discredit. I'll never get this board and its hatred for a guy who is a great athlete, wanted to play here and who did help turn a team around. He did nothing to us. Stop complaining because of obsession of fans around here. VY didn't cause them to constantly talk about him. The guy is a winner and I'd rather have the guy explained in the article than the guy we had for 5 years here that laughed off losses, etc. Lost in the whole "look VY isn't perfect rants" is the fact that the Titans are still competitive and winning some games despite having a GM and owner who did nothing to make them better in the ofseason.

Maybe you don't understand English. When someone says, " All he does is win", that is an absolute statement. It means he never loses. That is what I was posting about. The purpose of my post was to show how ridiculous it is to label someone a winner.

HoustonFrog
09-23-2007, 11:36 AM
Maybe you don't understand English. When someone says, " All he does is win", that is an absolute statement. It means he never loses. That is what I was posting about. The purpose of my post was to show how ridiculous it is to label someone a winner.

Maybe you don't understand football, sports or "adages." If you go 9-7 you are a winner. If you lead your team to a division title and lose some games you are a winner. I'm not a VY honk, I didn't go to UT, but please understand the use of sports adages in the English language before making your statments. All people are saying is that when he plays the team becomes better and they win more than lose. "All he does is win" only means that he leads a winning team more time than not and the term is thrown around all the time. Why would a sports adage connote perfection when it is impossible?Of course a person is always judged on team and the players around them. Here is an example from Peter King regarding David Gerrard

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/peter_king/10/30/mmqb/4.html

g. LaDainian Tomlinson is alternately Gale Sayers and Emmitt Smith. What a player.

h. David Garrard might not be pretty. All he does is win.

Here is an article on Jeff Garcia last year

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/footballoutsiders/2006/12/19/All_Garcia_Does_is_Win_All_Tanier_Does_is_Rant

The title is

"All Garcia Does is Win; All Tanier Does is Rant"

Its not absolute. Just a sports adage.

kastofsna
09-23-2007, 05:04 PM
i refuse to believe that Vince Young isn't perfect.

Bulluck53
09-23-2007, 05:10 PM

Wow. Someone is very literal

Silver Oak
09-23-2007, 05:16 PM
All Matt Schaub does is win, and I would much rather have him as the Texans qb, than vy.

BattleRedToro
09-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Wow. Someone is very literal

Why shouldn't I be when people use absolutes.

brakos82
09-23-2007, 05:50 PM

Because you bug people. :bat:

kastofsna
09-23-2007, 05:53 PM
theoretically, all EVERY quaterback does is win.

brakos82
09-23-2007, 05:55 PM
theoretically, all EVERY quaterback does is win.

The are some Raider fans who want to argue with that logic. :whip:

HoustonFrog
09-23-2007, 08:49 PM

Because as I said above and showed in the examples it is an adage used in sports and isn't supposed to be taken literally.

BattleRedToro
09-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Because as I said above and showed in the examples it is an adage used in sports and isn't supposed to be taken literally.

I know what an adage is. I also find it to be a misnomer as the people it is used to describe, lose far too often. I don't like adages that are absolute statements, and I find the people that use such adages particularly annoying.

kastofsna
09-23-2007, 11:08 PM
saying "all they do is win" is one of those statements that you can say and no one has a real good argument about it, because it's an OPINION but it's phrased to sound like a FACT. and that's the problem.

Bulluck53
09-23-2007, 11:09 PM
You realize no one else, of sound mind, takes that phrase as seriously as you do.

Silver Oak
09-24-2007, 06:57 AM
I think there are folks in Austin and East Austin that still believe it.

MB's such as www.titansonline.com and www.gotitans.com are chock full of vy extremists.

Bulluck53
09-24-2007, 12:02 PM
And they're chock full of VY bashers, too.

kastofsna
09-24-2007, 12:07 PM
i was pretty much the only VY basher before my banning at titansonline. if there's more, i'm glad there's some common sense being tossed around there, they need it in spades.

Bulluck53
09-24-2007, 11:08 PM
There is no common sense. He's either God or Ryan Leaf over there.

Texan_Bill
09-25-2007, 07:28 AM
How about an extremely good athlete who is a glorified running back with the passing skills of Cordell Stewart... ?? :whip:

Bulluck53
09-25-2007, 07:34 AM
Because the post was dumb I'll just correct you on your spelling...

Its Kordell Stewart

Silver Oak
09-25-2007, 07:39 AM
As much as I dislike vy at qb, he played a good game (by his standards) last night. Less than 200 yds passing, but a pretty good completion percentage (once again by his standards). The one int was pretty bad, but no other major blunders, but make no mistake about it, the meatballs won this one due to Brees and company really being bad on offense. 5 ints??? That is Carrr-esque.

That ugly sidearm motion of vy's is going to result in some batted down balls and int's over the long haul though. He got pancaked a couple of times standing in the pocket, which is ironic considering he spends so litttle time in there.

Texan_Bill
09-25-2007, 07:48 AM
Because the post was great I'll just correct you on your spelling...

Its Kordell Stewart

Brilliant!!! All hail the spelling police..... :rolleyes:

Sorry, my education in phonetics got in the way...

Texan_Bill
09-25-2007, 07:49 AM
As much as I dislkie vy at qb, he played a good game (by his standards) last night. Les than 200 yds passing, but a pretty good completion percentage (once again by his standards). The one int was pretty bad, but no other major blunders, but make no mistake about it, the meatballs won this one due to Brees and company really being bad on offense. 5 ints??? That is Carrr-esque.

That ugly sidearm motion of vy's is going to result in some batted down balls and int's over the long haul though. He got pancaked a couple of times standing in the pocket, which is ironic considering he spends so litttle time in there.

I guess you actually have a pretty good point. That was a pretty good game by VY standards...

Shaft75
09-25-2007, 09:00 AM
I guess you actually have a pretty good point. That was a pretty good game by VY standards...

With one interception, so the title of this thread is still valid.

Blazing Arrow
09-25-2007, 09:03 AM
With one interception, so the title of this thread is still valid.

We should have run on that play so I blame Chow. Young was actually being perfect and showing Chow he had made an incorrect call. His worship can work in mysterious ways some times.

Shaft75
09-25-2007, 09:14 AM
We should have run on that play so I blame Chow. Young was actually being perfect and showing Chow he had made an incorrect call. His worship can work in mysterious ways some times.

BlazingArrow......

What QB couldn't torch that secondary? Honestly?

And Carr is too easy of an answer(even though he probably could have)...

The Dream
09-25-2007, 03:02 PM
That ugly sidearm motion of vy's is going to result in some batted down balls and int's over the long haul though

I disagree...normally it would be a problem but Young is so tall to the point where throwing side arm doesn't matter.....I can't really ever recall that many of his passes being knocked down.

Blazing Arrow
09-25-2007, 03:52 PM
BlazingArrow......

What QB couldn't torch that secondary? Honestly?

And Carr is too easy of an answer(even though he probably could have)...

Grossman?

We should have run on that play. I understand the calls to establish the pass and show we can but after that turn over we were on there side of the field and a fresh set of downs. The Aints D just got off the field. It was time to move the ball on the ground and let them know it was really over IMO.

Silver Oak
09-25-2007, 04:35 PM
I disagree...normally it would be a problem but Young is so tall to the point where throwing side arm doesn't matter.....I can't really ever recall that many of his passes being knocked down.

I disagree, with your disagreement. :shades:

IMO, it's not so much because of his height, but more his ability to sidestep and find openings and angles downfield. There were a couple of passes he threw last night that, when replayed in slo-mo, you could really see how low the ball is thrown.

I just figure that the lower trajectory ball would have a greater chance of being batted down or picked.

I think the stats from last year show he had more int's than td's, but I do wonder if many of those were from linebackers or more d-backs.

2ToneBlue
09-25-2007, 05:33 PM
I disagree, with your disagreement. :shades:

IMO, it's not so much because of his height, but more his ability to sidestep and find openings and angles downfield. There were a couple of passes he threw last night that, when replayed in slo-mo, you could really see how low the ball is thrown.

I just figure that the lower trajectory ball would have a greater chance of being batted down or picked.

I think the stats from last year show he had more int's than td's, but I do wonder if many of those were from linebackers or more d-backs.2006:
Andre Dyson, DB
Bradie James LB
Aaron Glenn DB
Mike Doss DB
Asaunte Samuel x 2 DB
Rasheed Mathis x2 DB
Scott Starks DB
Ed Reed DB
Jason David DB
Marlin Jackson DB
Your boy Faggins DB

I see one non-Defensive Back in the 13 int's...

Blazing Arrow
09-25-2007, 06:20 PM
A few were end of half ducks too.

Silver Oak
09-25-2007, 07:02 PM
2006:
Andre Dyson, DB
Bradie James LB
Aaron Glenn DB
Mike Doss DB
Asaunte Samuel x 2 DB
Rasheed Mathis x2 DB
Scott Starks DB
Ed Reed DB
Jason David DB
Marlin Jackson DB
Your boy Faggins DB

I see one non-Defensive Back in the 13 int's...

Heck...maybe vy is just the evolution of qb'ing! Maybe one day a junior football camp will be run by vy and the Uncle Rico throwing motion will be emulated by hundreds of young kids wanting to learn "the best way" to chuck a ball.

</end dripping sarcasm>

Blazing Arrow
09-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Heck...maybe vy is just the evolution of qb'ing! Maybe one day a junior football camp will be run by vy and the Uncle Rico throwing motion will be emulated by hundreds of young kids wanting to learn "the best way" to chuck a ball.

</end dripping sarcasm>

I would disagree with your sarcasm but my Super Bowl rings keep messing up the post....

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/peter_king/12/01/picks.week13/tx_favre3_si.jpg

Brando
09-25-2007, 07:13 PM
I would disagree with your sarcasm but my Super Bowl rings keep messing up the post....

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/peter_king/12/01/picks.week13/tx_favre3_si.jpg

Blazing Arrow is Brett Favre!Blazing Arrow is Brett Favre!Blazing Arrow is Brett Favre!

:specnatz:

Just for the record Favre only has 1 Super Bowl Ring.

1337texanfan
09-25-2007, 07:23 PM

it would be "super bowl ring". seeing as the packers only won 1 superbowl with farve at the helm. :)

Blazing Arrow
09-25-2007, 09:46 PM
Is one more then zero .... I forget :shades:

1337texanfan
09-25-2007, 10:25 PM

lol:user:

Specnatz
09-25-2007, 10:57 PM

Appearantly you forgot that one is less than the plural form of ring when you stated rings.

Blazing Arrow
09-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Appearantly you forgot that one is less than the plural form of ring when you stated rings.

You are avoiding my point ... you forgot this goon :specnatz:

anyways .....

Who will Shammy throw to next time you guys play? I think you should sign that pepsi machine from last season. Seems like a solid player. Kind of faided out there at the end but who knows this fancy Texans team might ...... :listening

Tourist
09-25-2007, 11:56 PM
That ugly sidearm motion of vy's is going to result in some batted down balls and int's over the long haul though.

Y'know, people have been saying this for two years. When exactly is this supposed to start happening?

Of course, the folks who are saying this are the same people that said he wouldn't be able to run against the bigger, faster defenders in the NFL.

And that it would be 2-3 years before he was ready to play.

And that he was too dumb to learn an NFL playbook.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

But I'm sure they're right about the whole throwing motion thing.

Silver Oak
09-26-2007, 07:17 AM
BA...you live in California, follow the titans as your team, and profess to be the bearer of SB rings on your hand?

Get a mental evaluation quickly my man.

kastofsna
09-26-2007, 09:03 AM
throwing motion actually has very little to do with balls being batted down. it's mostly about finding the right passing lanes. young can do that. someone who can't do that, yet has a fine overhand throwing motion (and is pretty tall), is Chris Simms. he gets more balls batted at the line than anyone i've seen.

Blazing Arrow
09-26-2007, 09:06 AM
BA...you live in California, follow the titans as your team, and profess to be the bearer of SB rings on your hand?

Get a mental evaluation quickly my man.

Sorry I did not deliver the lame joke that floats on TT. I should have put it

Signed,
Mr. Farve

Can you comprehend that?

Silver Oak
09-26-2007, 09:12 AM
throwing motion actually has very little to do with balls being batted down. it's mostly about finding the right passing lanes. young can do that. someone who can't do that, yet has a fine overhand throwing motion (and is pretty tall), is Chris Simms. he gets more balls batted at the line than anyone i've seen.

Then why the year in, year out knock on short (less than 6') qb's?

Shaft75
09-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Some things never change...

VY saying "um" or "dey"(instead of their) in his pressers & BlazingArrow talking sh*t to Texans fans.

2ToneBlue
09-26-2007, 11:37 AM
Then why the year in, year out knock on short (less than 6') qb's?It's a lame excuse to knock players, Drew Brees is 6' and doesn't get very many batted down. I'm sure there's a little more technique involved. If lineman can get up to block kicks then passes shouldn't be much of a problem. The extra 3"-5" the ball comes out doesn't make a huge difference.

Pump fakes help short QB's too, get the lineman up and pass when they're on the way down before they can jump again.

A lot of that should fall on the lineman too, if the defense gets too close to any QB no matter the size they can bat the ball down.

Blazing Arrow
09-26-2007, 11:46 AM

VY saying "um" or "dey"(instead of their) in his pressers & BlazingArrow talking sh*t to Texans fans.

:heart:

If it makes you feel any better this is my most frequented non Titan board.

Texan_Bill
09-26-2007, 12:34 PM
Arrow,

Catch me up... How did you get on the Bret Favre thing???

Bulluck53
09-26-2007, 10:02 PM

Thats a Texas education for you...

1337texanfan
09-26-2007, 10:43 PM

bet YKW had more batted down balls:user:

Texan_Bill
09-27-2007, 07:36 AM

Tennessean is one to talk about education.... :rolleyes:

kastofsna
09-27-2007, 09:42 AM
Then why the year in, year out knock on short (less than 6') qb's?
because they're ignorant? it's just one of those things where you think it makes sense ("hey, a short QB is going to get more balls batted down at the line because he can't throw over a line!"), but really, if you're not finding the lanes, it doesn't matter what your height is. and it's not an easy skill to hone. which is why guys like Simms have an awful time with it. and guys like Drew Brees have little to no trouble in that area.

it's why people think guys with speed are automatically going to make excellent punt returners. it seems so simple, but there's a lot more to it than that.

Brando
09-27-2007, 09:53 AM

HA! How about that Tennessee education? Thought so..........

Brando
09-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Sorry I did not deliver the lame joke that floats on TT. I should have put it

Signed,
Mr. Farve

Can you comprehend that?

Yeah I comprehend it but you still didn't get it right, you spelled it wrong. Mr. Favre.

Bulluck53
09-27-2007, 06:00 PM
HA! How about that Tennessee education? Thought so..........

Thought you'd come back with that. Where I live is regarded nationally as one of the best public school systems in the nation.

Good try though.

Texan_Bill
09-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Thought you'd come back with that. Where I live is regarded nationally as one of the best public school systems in the nation.

Good try though.

Oh boy!!! That's terrific!

Ma and Pa Kettle (http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=1081047087&fr=yfp-t-501)

Specnatz
09-28-2007, 10:13 AM

Good try though.

There is no place in Tennessee that is regarded nationaly as high level of education. Regardless if it is or not.

HoustonFrog
09-28-2007, 10:20 AM
because they're ignorant? it's just one of those things where you think it makes sense ("hey, a short QB is going to get more balls batted down at the line because he can't throw over a line!"), but really, if you're not finding the lanes, it doesn't matter what your height is. and it's not an easy skill to hone. which is why guys like Simms have an awful time with it. and guys like Drew Brees have little to no trouble in that area.

it's why people think guys with speed are automatically going to make excellent punt returners. it seems so simple, but there's a lot more to it than that.

Kast, I don't agree with you on alot of stuff..that I know of...but I agree here. The NFL has had it wrong for years. The "combine" guy has become th estandard compared to just finding someone eho can make plays, who made plays and who has the ability to comprehend the game. Its like guys like Singletary or Zach Thomas or Jerry Rice...guys who were too short, too slow, etc, etc. When many of them you could see their work habits already. I mean look at DeMeco. I'll take a leader of a team with smarts and who works his tail off over the fast guy with a suspect motor and some problems any day of the week. I mean most scouting reports will tell you a QB who has had trouble with these issues. Its the hubris of NFL coaches that makes them think they can take the physical and fix them.

Brando
09-28-2007, 01:45 PM

Good try though.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/27/Jethro211.jpg/200px-Jethro211.jpg

6th Grade education can make you a brain surgeon!

:user:

beerlover
09-28-2007, 01:49 PM
just like there is only one Vince Young there is only one Dennis Dixion. check it out tomorrow when #6 Cal visits #11 Oregon :)

Bulluck53
09-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Haha all in good fun. I'll be the first to tell you I'm a dumbass.