PDA

View Full Version : Belichick's cheating could lead to dark days for NFL

Wolf
09-18-2007, 08:16 PM
FWIW, you know how page 2 of ESPiN is

The situation with the National Football League is a lot worse than people realize, and the only one who seems to grasp this fully is commissioner Roger Goodell. You don't issue emergency orders backed by threats on Sunday morning of a game day, as Goodell just did regarding the New England Patriots' files of cheating information, unless the situation is a lot worse than people realize.

Why is the situation worse than people think? Because the NFL is on the precipice of blowing its status as the country's favorite sport. The whole NFL enterprise is in jeopardy from that single word: cheating. It's the most distasteful word in sports. And now the Patriots have brought the word into the NFL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/070918&sportCat=nfl

First we learn that the Patriots were cheating by using video equipment to steal signs, in blatant violation of league rules. Then we learn that even after the scandal broke and Bill Belichick issued his Nixonian stonewalling statement, the Patriots were still keeping sign-stealing videotapes and notes from past games. Surrender of the tapes and notes was the subject of Goodell's emergency order, first reported by ESPN's Chris Mortensen. Sunday night on NBC's "Football Night in America," Goodell threatened more punishment of the Patriots if all cheating materials aren't surrendered, and repeatedly declared it was imperative that NFL games be fair and equal competition. That's exactly the crux of the threat Belichick has created to the league's golden goose.

The Pencil Neck
09-18-2007, 08:21 PM
You know, "cheating" when it's not actually breaking a law and not taking dives for money, doesn't bother me the same way. EDIT: Or a referee or player shaving points to win bets and things.

Belichick, or even many other teams, trying to steal signals for an advantage really doesn't matter to me at all.

TexansLucky13
09-18-2007, 08:25 PM
The people who are crying the loudest are those who got their arses handed to them by the Patriots, time and time again. Not that I blame them, but this is all a bunch of "bring down the bully" stuff.

There is a difference between cheating on the sidelines and scoring points. The fact is, the Patriots have to go on the field and win games. At the end of the day, you have to play, and the Patriots do that very very well.

timbok
09-19-2007, 07:16 AM
The patriots as of now : our the blackeye of the NFL...i'm sure something else will come along,but as for now...there the blackeye....not the evening star..Patriot fans..are being completely non-opening minded about this,its all about how jet fans...are just scumbag fans....and are fags looking for something to yell at the pats..let me tell you..EVERY TEAM..that they beat during a playoff run,or the super bowl..is second guessing them.
SIGHS

TexanSam
09-19-2007, 11:11 AM
NFL is in danger of losing it's status as American's favorite sport? Because of this? That's a bunch of crap. Is baseball going to be #1 after all the news about HGH, steroids, Barry Bonds, tainted records, etc..? Is basketball going to go back to being as popular as it was in the 80s with all the individualism in the sport? The NFL is nowhere near losing it's status as America's top sport.

powerfuldragon
09-19-2007, 11:13 AM
the sky is falling.

real
09-19-2007, 11:23 AM
I really don't think the cheating helped the Pats much, if at all.

kastofsna
09-19-2007, 12:03 PM
this is a case of the media looking too hard for a story. this isn't a big deal to me...at ALL.

Double Barrel
09-19-2007, 12:08 PM
Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio believes stealing signals in football happens as routinely as it does in baseball.

"That's a different issue. Do we look at each other's sidelines and look for hints at what might be coming? Sure. I think all teams do that. That's been going on forever. That will continue to be part of our game."

Source (http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5g8t4gGvOgbknF6sp1Sp0FCOrPruA)

I doubt people stop watching the NFL because of this incident. The way the league has responded will put many people's minds at rest.

Vinny
09-19-2007, 12:10 PM
much to do over nothing.

kastofsna
09-19-2007, 12:14 PM
it reminds me of when Mike Tice was caught for selling Super Bowl tickets. at first, everyone was absolutely outraged. eventually, people started to realize that, well, pretty much every team does it. doesn't make it right of course, much like with this, but meh....seems like there's bigger fish to fry out there.

the way i look at it is, with this sign-stealing thing, is that since EVERY team does it, that means every team is aware of it, and will do things to counter it. it's a bit of off-the-field strategy that every team partakes in. perhaps they change their signals every once in a while, etc.

real
09-19-2007, 12:18 PM
How about just doing something as simple as having 3 guys giving signals and letting the defense know which guy is active before every series...

That-a-way, the opposing team won't know which signals are real and which ones aren't...