PDA

View Full Version : Rick Smith at it again!

Errant Hothy
09-18-2007, 07:21 PM
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/Transactions.asp

Released quarterback Jared Zabransky from the practice squad. Signed wide receiver Devin Aromashodu to the practice squad.

Mr. Aromashodu was a recent injury settlement with the Colts. He had been IR'ed after pulling a hammy. He was drafted in the 7th round of the 06 draft by the Dolphins. Played his college ball at Auburn. He's 6'2" and 200 lbs. Joins Okoye and Kalu in the growing Nigerian born Texans club.

TEXANS84
09-18-2007, 07:23 PM
I wish we had of released a different player, but someone with knowledge of the Colts playbook is nice.

TexansLucky13
09-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Rick Smith is God.

Twitch-Houston
09-18-2007, 07:44 PM
I just have to giggle with glee whenever Rick makes moves because they seem to pan out. With Casserly, my giggles were the type a person in a looney bin would make cause he drove me crazy.

I do hate to see Z go. He didn't show much in preseason, but you just had to pull for the guy. Maybe he can go somewhere were he actually has a chance to play. Sage is an extremely solid #2 and I didn't see Z beating him out anytime soon.

nero THE zero
09-18-2007, 07:50 PM
So who's our third QB now?

Twitch-Houston
09-18-2007, 07:51 PM

Probably Daniels.:texflag:

The Pencil Neck
09-18-2007, 08:05 PM

If we get into a problem, we can probably re-sign Zabransky or Quinton Porter.

Let me just say that I am the founding member of the Anybody But Van Pelt club just in case he rears his ugly head again.

But our in-game emergency QB is probably Owen Daniels.

Wolf
09-18-2007, 08:11 PM
Position: WR
Class: Sr
School: Auburn
Conference: Southeastern
Ht., Wt.: 6-2.5, 201
40 Time: 4.38
Selected by: Miami Dolphins
Round 7, pick 25 (233 overall)
Grading System

BIO: Two-year starter who totaled 26/494/4 as a senior after junior numbers of 24/513/4.

POSITIVES: Explosive receiver with an unpolished game. Quickly releases off the line, sharp running routes and gets separation from opponents. Comes back to the ball using his frame to protect the pass and adjusts to the errant throw. Possesses a burst of speed, playing faster than his 40 time and beating opponents in a foot race.

NEGATIVES: Constantly lets the pass get inside him and body catches. Lacks a sense of timing and anticipation. Rarely catches the ball cleanly and drops too many passes.

ANALYSIS: A solid athlete who can stretch the field, Aromashodu projects as a third receiver for a vertical offense. Needs to fine-tune his game and work harder to reach the level of expectation NFL scouts have for him.

PROJECTION: Late Seventh Round

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2006/draft/players/2494.html

beerlover
09-18-2007, 08:14 PM

I beleive we're back to the classic two QB system Kubiak & Smith employ :cool:

seems each week he picks a former player of the team they are about to play off waivers :shades:

Texans fans your not going to believe this but he was graded out talent wise according to NFL Draft Scout as a 2nd-3rd pick but to probably slide to 2nd day based on work ethic & intangilbles. Aromashodu has Jerome Mathis speed 4.35. I would not be surprised to see him switch roles since Jerome knows the Texans scheme already & split return duties while Jerome focuses on his route running with the 2nd team offense. might also be an indication that Andres injury is more severe than thought & could be out 3-4 weeks (specualtion on my part). regardless a move made by Rick Smith that addresses need @ a critical time. I tell you what while other GM's are standing still he is doing circles around the entire league- don't look now Indy theres a new sheriff in town :cowboy1:

whiskeyrbl
09-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Rick Smith is Heaven sent:splits:

CloakNNNdagger
09-18-2007, 08:19 PM
He's another with a track history as well as basketball and football. He's also a kick returner.............a speedster that runs a 40 of 4.4.

alphajoker
09-18-2007, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't look too much into this pickup. I think it is only due to Davis being actived for this game. They needed to fill a practice squad spot and they replaced that need with another WR. Having prior insight to how the Colts offense runs is just an added benefit.

The Pencil Neck
09-18-2007, 08:30 PM
I wouldn't look too much into this pickup. I think it is only due to Davis being actived for this game. They needed to fill a practice squad spot and they replaced that need with another WR. Having prior insight to how the Colts offense runs is just an added benefit.

Is Killings being moved back to the PS?

alphajoker
09-18-2007, 08:35 PM
Is Killings being moved back to the PS?

I think that depends on what happens with TJ. If his ankle or foot is healthy then he would be activated and Killings would go back to the PS.

Ole Miss Texan
09-18-2007, 10:07 PM
1) This signing actually kind of excites me. I'd like to see us develop him a little more and hopefully he can produce for us.

2) I really have no feelings for Zabransky, no offense to him or anybody who likes him a lot. I thought he had a 'must win' attitude but never saw him giving the texans anything on the field. I wanted us to develop him and try and trade him to some team for a draft pick.

3) This WR was drafted in the 7th round of the 2006 draft? I don't see that he has an intimate knowledge of the colts playbook that will help us out too much.

Von Hutchins was a DB for the colts, he can probably help us out more than this new wr.

Go Rick Smith, yayuuhh!

edo783
09-18-2007, 10:14 PM
Z-man played with gusto, but not very well IMO. Porter seemed much more polished and would likely be the guy we sign if there ever arises a need. Sure hope that need stays away.

TexanSam
09-18-2007, 10:45 PM

I agree. In all likelihood, he'll probably just be another guy on the roster.

TexanBacker93
09-19-2007, 01:24 AM
I think that depends on what happens with TJ. If his ankle or foot is healthy then he would be activated and Killings would go back to the PS.

Killings wasn't on the practice squad. He was an outright release and then resigned when Travis was hurting. Dreessen was released at that time.

Andre Davis is on the active roster, not on the practice squad either. He'll be active this week if Andre can't go, but it has nothing to do with the ps.

barrett
09-19-2007, 05:52 AM
I'm curious as to why Mr. Smith wouldn't go back and get one of the guys that have been through camp to fill that spot. Did someone pick up Bethel or David Anderson? If it were as simple as just filling a roster spot for the practice squad then I think he would have grabbed one of them. I thought Bethel Johnson looked pretty good in camp. At least good enough to be on a practice squad. I guess he's inelligible. Obviously Keenan wouldn't fit there. As I"m typing this I think I'm answering my own question.

go Ricky go!

BattleRedToro
09-19-2007, 06:39 AM
That makes a total of 4 Nigerians on the Texans, now. Who is next, Hakeem Olajuwon? :fans:

TexanExile
09-19-2007, 06:42 AM
From the Chronicle, September 17: (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5143335.html)

TEXANS NOTES
In the community today, Jared Zabransky will visit Galena Park High School from 11 a.m.-12:15 p.m.

From the Chronicle, September 18: (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5147018.html)

TEXANS RELEASE ZABRANSKY FROM PRACTICE SQUAD
The Texans waived quarterback Jared Zabransky off the practice squad Tuesday and added receiver Devon Aromashodu.

Ouch.

Sorry, Jared.

Guess that settles it, though: Galena Park HS is a tougher foe than the Sooners. texanpride

Errant Hothy
09-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Killings wasn't on the practice squad. He was an outright release and then resigned when Travis was hurting. Dreessen was released at that time.

Andre Davis is on the active roster, not on the practice squad either. He'll be active this week if Andre can't go, but it has nothing to do with the ps.

Exactly, neither Killings nor Davis can be put on the practice squad, as both a more then a year expierence towards being a FA. Smith probably signed Aromashodu becasue they felt he had a better upside then Zabransky, who if we are being honest looked marignal at best during the pre-season.

real
09-19-2007, 09:50 AM
While we're being honest, Jared Zabransky reminded me a little bit of David Carr.

badboy
09-19-2007, 10:10 AM
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/Transactions.asp

Mr. Aromashodu was a recent injury settlement with the Colts. He had been IR'ed after pulling a hammy. He was drafted in the 7th round of the 06 draft by the Dolphins. Played his college ball at Auburn. He's 6'2" and 200 lbs. Joins Okoye and Kalu in the growing Nigerian born Texans club.I thought he was Japanese. We have quite a bit of speed and significant height at WR. Sounds like this guy might be another Mathis. Big,fast and recovery from hammy. Now he needs a quiet talk in Kubes office and voila! Go Ricky baby!

gjmac2
09-19-2007, 11:33 AM
The old regime would have signed a player to get playbook info, but I this regime signs players who they think can develop and become contributors.

BIG DIFFERENCE

Yankee_In_TX
09-19-2007, 11:43 AM
So... I guess we're banking on a FA should we need a 3rd QB rather than JZ?

Errant Hothy
09-19-2007, 11:48 AM

In game situation I beleive Owen Daniels is the emergency QB, but if it's during the week, then yes I think Smith and Co believe the a street FA will be just as effective as JZ. The 2 QB practice is becoming the norm for the NFL.

I'm I the only one who thinks that JZ looked pretty below average during the pre-season?

kastofsna
09-19-2007, 11:48 AM
i wouldn't get TOO excited about the Aramashondu signing. every Dolphins fan in the world thought it was a brilliant draft pick because we needed a guy just like him for our offense and special teams, and we pretty much assumed it was one of the best 7th round picks in a long time. but he didn't do anything during training camp or preseason, and we cut him quickly. good talent, though.

aj.
09-19-2007, 12:34 PM
Every Jagoff fan thought Salaam and Maddox were pretty worthless.

Sometimes it's the system or the situation.

They brought Aramashondu in because they needed another WR body for scout team. Getting up to date info on Peyton's audibles is a bonus. They'll probably cut him in a couple of weeks and bring back Z when AJ comes back - unless he totally impresses.

pappy
09-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Every Jagoff fan thought Salaam and Maddox were pretty worthless.

Sometimes it's the system or the situation.

They brought Aramashondu in because they needed another WR body for scout team. Getting up to date info on Peyton's audibles is a bonus. They'll probably cut him in a couple of weeks and bring back Z when AJ comes back - unless he totally impresses.

Well i believe it is to work out the st while jj and mathis work on their routes and game plan to be wr's this week so no double duty for them .

AnthonyE
09-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Terrible move.

Only becuase they released Zabransky. I loved that guy, was so excited he signed with us.

Errant Hothy
09-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Terrible move.

Only becuase they released Zabransky. I loved that guy, was so excited he signed with us.

Yeah, cause we should only keep the guys who are happy to be here; who cares if they can help the team or not, right?

AnthonyE
09-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Yeah, cause we should only keep the guys who are happy to be here; who cares if they can help the team or not, right?

When it comes to the practice squad, sure.

BattleRedToro
09-21-2007, 07:00 AM

Jared Zabransky was a Free Agent when the Texans acquired him, so what's the big deal?

Texans Horror
09-21-2007, 08:59 AM
I figure the new guy has a very limited shelf life centered around the Indy game.

Errant Hothy
09-21-2007, 09:25 AM
When it comes to the practice squad, sure.

Never. No front office should ever make any move baed on what the fans want. A sure-fire way to kill a franchise.

Battle Red Flash
09-21-2007, 09:27 AM
Rick Smith make me happy all day long. :)

beerlover
09-21-2007, 10:09 AM
its no secret RS is active in the process of player development in many capacitites one of which being is breaking down future/past oponnents. so he is closely watching the waiver wire with game film fresh on his mind when he sees a player like Rashad Butler, Will Demps or Devin Aromashodu become available & is prepared to make a move based on roster needs improvement/ injurys.

specificly Aromashodu has been in the Colt system since drafted April 2006. no he won't be a factor or even play this Sunday against his former team but he does bring some playbook expereince & is still elligible for the PS. He played in a run oreiented offense @ Auburn even with Jason Campbell there in 04, but they had Ronnie Brown & Cadillac Williams, later Irons. a 500 yd. a year avg. 20 yds & 4 tds his last two years rotated @ Auburn. Runs good routes, not physical but his strength is stretching the vertical game using blazing 4.35 speed :specnatz:

badboy
09-21-2007, 10:41 AM
its no secret RS is active in the process of player development in many capacitites one of which being is breaking down future/past oponnents. so he is closely watching the waiver wire with game film fresh on his mind when he sees a player like Rashad Butler, Will Demps or Devin Aromashodu become available & is prepared to make a move based on roster needs improvement/ injurys.

specificly Aromashodu has been in the Colt system since drafted April 2006. no he won't be a factor or even play this Sunday against his former team but he does bring some playbook expereince & is still elligible for the PS. He played in a run oreiented offense @ Auburn even with Jason Campbell there in 04, but they had Ronnie Brown & Cadillac Williams, later Irons. a 500 yd. a year avg. 20 yds & 4 tds his last two years rotated @ Auburn. Runs good routes, not physical but his strength is stretching the vertical game using blazing 4.35 speed :specnatz:Speed, height and "ability to run good routes" sounds like enough to work with and make better. If he doesn't make the best of this opportunity, oh well, the price was right.

beerlover
09-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Rick Smith will be a really busy man in the upcoming week :ouch:

awtysst
09-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Rick Smith will be a really busy man in the upcoming week :ouch:

Yes sir. Hopefully he can find us a few gems.

TheIronDuke
09-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Is Hodgen still out there, looks like we'll need a backup center.

GuerillaBlack
09-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Does anyone think Walker will get to play at RB?