PDA

View Full Version : Rick Smith on 610 with McClain

beerlover
09-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Get to a radio because Rick Smith is about to come on sports radio 610. since officially adopting him as my favorite Texan I feel a responsibility to get the word out. 10:03 enjoy :)

beerlover
09-18-2007, 10:28 AM
only one segment (busy man) but lots of content. sounds like an average day for him is at least 14 hours. communication is a big part of his approach, he utilizes his resources & continues to strive for improvement. I really found his emergency list interesting, where he meets with his player development people on Fridays & report on around the league on available personel that fullfills needs on a weekly basis. pretty cool headed, modest & dedicated to the Texans organization :fans:

Kaiser Toro
09-18-2007, 10:29 AM
only one segment (busy man) but lots of content. sounds like an average day for him is at least 14 hours. communication is a big part of his approach, he utilizes his resources & continues to strive for improvement. I really found his emergency list interesting, where he meets with his player development people on Fridays & report on around the league on available personel that fullfills needs on a weekly basis. pretty cool headed, modest & dedicated to the Texans organization :fans:

Appreciate the recap.

Cjeremy635
09-18-2007, 10:30 AM
Yeah, he's a class act and we are definately lucky to have him. :fans:

Brando
09-18-2007, 10:34 AM

I caught that as well. Really prepared GM. He also said he gets in about 7:00am on Monday and starts watching film of the game, going over the injury report with Kubes and Kevin.

Rick Smith is a fresh of breath air over the last GM. He is very knowledgeable and I am glad to have him as GM.

beerlover
09-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Rick Smith is not afraid of the media but its apparent he is content to work behind the scenes, hence someone has to give him his props for helping make a huge difference for the Texans :specnatz:

some more interersting information is the first thing he looks at is game film from the past weekend, he didn't say if he actually grades out the players performance but just keeps active monitoring development. obviously he spends a lot this time with Gary Kubiak & discuss their viewpoints, expectations & game planning. then he gets with the trainer & medical staff to get injury overviews to see if any action is required or need to be addressed on the waiver wire of free agency. in the afternoon they get together with owner, Bob McNair keeping him posted on the state of affairs. then the rest of the day is spent with contacts, his scouts from around the league to see who is or might be available. he didn't come right out and say it but it seemed like he keeps a fluid list of players on a wish list, in all positions that if available when the moment requires action they are able to make instant decisions. thats bascily it, simplistic but beerlover is not the genius Rick Smith is :cool:

Double Barrel
09-18-2007, 10:54 AM
He's a class act and I think will end up being one of the top GMs in the league within a few years.

He gave a speech to the entire team before the KC game, and when asked about it, he would not comment and said it was between him and the team. Pretty cool when you have a HC and GM that are friends and working from the same playbook.

Specnatz
09-18-2007, 11:02 AM
He's a class act and I think will end up being one of the top GMs in the league within a few years.

He gave a speech to the entire team before the KC game, and when asked about it, he would not comment and said it was between him and the team. Pretty cool when you have a HC and GM that are friends and working from the same playbook.

All this time I thought they were suppossed to have no clue what the other was doing.

Goldensilence
09-18-2007, 11:26 AM

Agreed DB on both points. I'm hoping he becomes the next Ron Wolfe type of GM. When Ron was in GB people credit Holmgreen a lot for what happened but Ron really put together some great Packer teams. He really knew personnel and ws the same behind the scenes type of guy. Too bad Holmgren's ego got in the way.

It's really amazing how much communication goes on with Kubiak and Smith; they work really well in tandem. While learning from Mike Shannanan and the Broncos is nothing bad it looks like the Texans are developling their own style and approach. I know the first 5 years were rough but man...if it took us that to get Kubiak and Smith here......:cool:

PapaL
09-18-2007, 11:44 AM
All this time I thought they were suppossed to have no clue what the other was doing.

That was also my understanding of the whole process.

What a breath of fresh air we have in the front office now.

4Texans
09-18-2007, 11:58 AM
I've been impressed with Smith so far, and the way he and Kubiak work together. Depending on how successful of a year we have, you know other teams are going to be looking at Texans personnel on the team and in the FO. There are quite a few teams out there that need to be "turned around". I hope McNair keeps Smith wrapped up, but it sounds like Smith is really committed to helping build the Texans and staying here no matter how much success we have.:texflag:

barberman
09-18-2007, 12:56 PM
Kubiak and Smith should both be locked in with long term contracts ASAP. Both are well deserving by their performance so far, they are a great tandem and I see them as our version of Landry and Tex Schram.

Boris
09-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Kubiak and Smith should both be locked in with long term contracts ASAP. Both are well deserving by their performance so far, they are a great tandem and I see them as our version of Landry and Tex Schram.

Ken White, is that you? http://und.cstv.com/school-bio/nd-97athdir.html

seriously though, you are right, our GM & coach have been a breathe of fresh air.

eriadoc
09-18-2007, 02:06 PM
Some kudos should be given to Bob McNair as well. This is the flip side of the C&C situation, IMO. McNair hires his people and then lets them do their job, unlike owners such as Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder. When those hires do their job well, he should be praised as much as he was damned for letting C&C do their jobs.

Ole Miss Texan
09-18-2007, 04:31 PM
Kubiak and Smith have been so impressive thus far.

I hate to jump the gun here but IF the texans were to sneak their way into the playoffs THIS year, I think there should be a lot of thought going into:

GM of the Year: Rick Smith, Houston Texans
Coach of the Year: Gary Kubiak, Houston Texans
MVP: Matt Schaub, Houston Texans

Texans and Playoffs is a big IF, but we'll see in some more games what's possible....just puttin that out there.

Oh, i'm not called a homer, I'm called a forward-thinker! :)

BSofA04
09-18-2007, 04:45 PM
Kubiak and Smith have been so impressive thus far.

I hate to jump the gun here but IF the texans were to sneak their way into the playoffs THIS year, I think there should be a lot of thought going into:

GM of the Year: Rick Smith, Houston Texans
Coach of the Year: Gary Kubiak, Houston Texans
MVP: Matt Schaub, Houston Texans

Texans and Playoffs is a big IF, but we'll see in some more games what's possible....just puttin that out there.

Oh, i'm not called a homer, I'm called a forward-thinker! :)

I like your thinking. That would be the ultimate compliment from the media and the league. After years of being ridiculed, it would be nice to have at least one of those honors at the end of the year. To me, it would feel like ESPN had a big-ole helping of crow.