PDA

View Full Version : Do we stand a chance against Colts without AJ?

gtexan02
09-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Andre Johnson is the best player on our football team. Period.

Demeco is great, Robinson is by far our best corner, Schaub is the best QB we've ever had. But Johnson is still our best player.

And he's doubtful for Sunday :(

So do you think we still have a chance against Indy?

Our D has really stepped up. I think we will disrupt Manning most of the day. However, the Colts are the Colts and they are going to score points.

Can we move the ball on them without our best playmaker? Jones and Mathis and Davis really need to step up this week if we are going to play without AJ

powerfuldragon
09-17-2007, 04:41 PM
yes, we have jacoby jones.

bigbrewster2000
09-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Sure we do. Of course it hurts the team but, I think they end up being ok. It will be more difficult but if everyone steps up as a team then we can win.

Errant Hothy
09-17-2007, 04:43 PM
A chance...yes. Remember this is a team game. I'm sure Kubiak and Co. will devise a plan to balance out AJ being out. Schaub will have to be very Manning like and spread the ball all over the field.

Ole Miss Texan
09-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Doubtful. Of course I want to say YES of course, but in all actuality -> the Colts are playing really well, their defense esp. imo.

Schaub has 3 TD's on the season, all to AJ.

The rest of our WR's havn't done a whole lot. They have definitly helped a lot, but as far as i'm concerned...it seems AJ and Schaub were seperated at birth. Those two always seem to find each other. Schaub to AJ is a special thing.

I don't think we can move the chains enough, let alone, score enough without AJ to have a fighting chance against the Colts. I hope he is healthy enough to play, but pray to GOD the coaches don't rush him back...we need AJ for many many more years.

gg no re
09-17-2007, 04:46 PM
If we can run the ball on Bob Sanders, and Walters/Daniels can make the catches if our run game stalls, we can win. If Jacoby or any of our other WRs step up, that is a huge plus in our favor.

Nothing significant has changed on the Colts offense from last year, so our defense needs to play at the same level of intensity or better than it did the last time.

Ole Miss Texan
09-17-2007, 04:49 PM
If I could add one more thing...

Looking at the 4 games following the Colts..we have have a really good chance to win all of them.

This would be such a huge victory for our team if we were to beat the Colts in week 3 and go up 3-0, but having an L isn't the end of the world. Except to us fans who want to prove everyone wrong!

We could be 6-1 with a loss to the Colts going into San Diego. That's not too bad if you ask me.

BigTimeTexanFan
09-17-2007, 04:50 PM
I think so. Remember the key to beating the Colts is to get the lead and control the clock (running the ball). I would expect to see more of a runniong attack and for Jacoby to put some numbers up. Also, look for Owen to have a good game.

gtexan02
09-17-2007, 04:51 PM
The thing is, why is everyone so high on Jacoby as a Johnson fill in?

He had a great preseason. GREAT. But so far he has been relatively invisible so far except for his one punt return yesterday. He is a rookie from a small school, and I think he's going to take some time to really get comfortable out there. Walters hasn't done enough to give me confidence.

I want and think we do have a chance, but without andre johnson, our offense looks a lot different

barrett
09-17-2007, 04:53 PM
imagine what it could mean to the confidence of this football team if Andre Johnson doesn't play and everyone else steps up their game and we DO beat the colts without him? Then next week, AJ comes back and all those other guys are even more pumped.... sky's the limit at that point.

Let's Go Texans.

rollinstone18
09-17-2007, 04:55 PM
In Schaub we trust.

gtexan02
09-17-2007, 04:55 PM
One scary stat:

Guess how many catches we had yesterday from wide receivers NOT named Andre Johnson?

One.

tulexan
09-17-2007, 04:58 PM
I think we have a chance, but not a great one. You aren't going to beat the Colts in a shootout, so you have to have long sustained drives that end in touchdowns. Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, and our defense are really going to have to step up.

Errant Hothy
One scary stat:

Guess how many catches we had yesterday from wide receivers NOT named Andre Johnson?

One.

And how many catches were by TEs, RBs and FBs? 12!

Might want to give both sides before going all doom and gloom, Rich Lord has kinda cornered the market on that.

Hervoyel
I think the time is right for a cliche.

It's times like these where you see what your team is made of. It's times like these that role players on good teams step up their game and take up the slack.

Jacoby Jones, Andre Davis, Kevin Walter, it's time to make your statement.

Andre Johnson is probably going to be out a couple of weeks but I'm not going to jump on that and consider it carved in stone until we see him inactive next Sunday. It seems to me like over the past 5 years more and more teams have loaded that injury report up. If AJ's knee is feeling better at the end of the week he just might be available. I understand it's unlikely but in todays NFL I wouldn't rule it out.

Historyhorn
09-17-2007, 05:02 PM
I think we stand a fighting chance against them. Obviously, we're going to have a tougher time without AJ than we would with him, but the keys to this game will be focused away from our WR whether AJ is in or not.

We win this game if we establish a solid downhill rushing attack with Green and Dayne. We win this game if our front 7 gets enough pressure to force Manning into hurried throws and shuts down Addai's stretch play. We win if our patchwork defensive backfield has a stellar game and limits Harrison, Wayne, Clark, & Company. Finally, I think we need to be plus two in the turnover department in order to win this game.

Having a long ball deep threat strike capability is nice, but if we get into an offensive laser light show game with them, we'll end up burned. It needs to be ugly. Johnson would certainly make us better, but the critical areas for us to win will not be at WR.

Go Texans

Cjeremy635
09-17-2007, 05:03 PM
One scary stat:

One.

Yeah, but that's not a fair assesment. Johnson caught what, 7 passes yesterday? It's because he was available to use. I'm not knocking the guy, but it's not like we threw it to him 25 times. I think having him on our team is great, but the guys will step up and we will change our game plan accordingly. I have more confidence in the coaching staff than I ever had in the previous regime. Your cashing in your chips before the cards are even dealt. Relax, don't panic. :cool:

TigerV1
09-17-2007, 05:08 PM
I am excited to get to see Jones and Walter get a chance to step it up. The Schaub to Johnson connection has been so good the last two weeks there has been no reason to involve the other receivers. Now they have a chance to show what they have.

J-Russ
09-17-2007, 05:12 PM
The thing is, why is everyone so high on Jacoby as a Johnson fill in?

He had a great preseason. GREAT. But so far he has been relatively invisible so far except for his one punt return yesterday. He is a rookie from a small school, and I think he's going to take some time to really get comfortable out there. Walters hasn't done enough to give me confidence.

I want and think we do have a chance, but without andre johnson, our offense looks a lot different

wth, did you watch the game yesterday? How many times has Schuab thrown to the other recievers? I only saw him throw to Jacoby once yesterday, and it was way out of his reach. The time he did threw it to him, against KC, Jacoby was able to make the play and get some good yardage after the catch. If AJ is out this week, which I hope he isn't, then I am sure Jacoby will have a breakout game with Schaub throwing him more passes.

nero THE zero
09-17-2007, 05:16 PM
AJ had 4 receptions for 48 yards in our win against the Colts last year. I think if we can control the clock we can get by with a W, even without AJ. It won't be easy, I don't expect it, but I think it's possible.

Thorn
09-17-2007, 05:17 PM
If the defense shows up, we win.

Schaub will find other targets. As others have said, we have good recieving backs and tight ends. It's amazing how much improved the OL is (with the same folks as last year) when we have a good QB. It's time for JJ to step up and make a statement.

I'm good for Sunday. :texflag:

Buffi2
09-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Yes we can. We beat them last year with David, for goodness sakes.

I think the team is so pumped up that JJ and Davis will step up big time. With AJ injured, the Colts won't be expecting big things from us - Surprise! I expect JJ to run his little heart out...after catching the ball.

Texan Asylum
09-17-2007, 05:40 PM
Yeah, but that's not a fair assesment. Johnson caught what, 7 passes yesterday? It's because he was available to use. I'm not knocking the guy, but it's not like we threw it to him 25 times. I think having him on our team is great, but the guys will step up and we will change our game plan accordingly. I have more confidence in the coaching staff than I ever had in the previous regime. Your cashing in your chips before the cards are even dealt. Relax, don't panic. :cool:

Agreed J.

If your best player in a particular position is available, then it would be foolish NOT to use him. We have others, although perhaps not as talented, ready to step up if need be. Like Herv said, time for them to etch their mark in the wall.

:texflag:

Ole Miss Texan
09-17-2007, 05:55 PM
I like the notion that this is the time for our other WR's step it up. This is their opportunity to tell the coaches that they are the real deal and need to be involved more in the future. This is critical for them.

I don't want to sound like a hater or a downer b/c I'm far from it. I don't want this to come out across the wrong way or in a way that I'm blaming y'all either. But to me I don't think people are giving AJ enough credit (which is a ridiculous stmt within itself! lol). He is easily the best player on our team (not just offense) and is so vital to our successes.

He makes clutch catch after clutch catch. His prescence is HUGE to get those 1st downs....that quick slant for a gain here and gain there or TD here...etc. Two of those/ game extends our drive another 3 plays at minimum...and makes the LB's take notice...that helps our RB's more.

Owen Daniels can only do so much. The Colts will do exactly what they need to do to win and it will be NO CONTEST. They will stack the box up as if they are playing LT and the chargers where he's done squat these two games. They will do everything they can to shut down our Rushing game early and throughout the game. They will make us beat them by passing the ball and thats not how you beat the colts. They will take away our Running game and make JJ, OD, KW make play after play. I don't doubt we make a few big plays b/c they are attacking Green/Leach/Dayne but they will make us do that on a consistent basis throughout 4 quarters which is a lot to ask for.

Ontop of that (us not having the TOP in our favour b/c our Run game isn't working) their offense will be on the field the same amount as our offense. Our defense would have to have the game of the year (which is possible) for us to have some sort of a chance. Not only do they have to shut down Addai (we're ranked top 5 in rush D? i think) but Harrison and Wayne are the best WR tandem in the league and dunta can only cover one. Our LB's would have to have a day of stopping Addai and covering the short passes at the same time while our DL pass rush the entire time to try and rattle manning.

I hope we can pull this out b/c it will be tough. No matter who's playing for us...if we win this weekend, Houston is going to going nuts! :texflag:

The Pencil Neck
09-17-2007, 06:11 PM
AJ is a monster.

If he's open, then you throw to him.

If he's not open, then you still think twice before NOT throwing to him and some times, you throw to him anyway.

If he's not there... then you start throwing to the other open people and stop looking at AJ to see if he's open.

This is going to be a big test for us. Hopefully, our receivers step up and make the catches.

But we beat the Colts last year by concentrating on the run, ball control, and winning the turnover battle and scoring points off the turnovers. Without AJ, we lose a huge chunk of big play potential. But that's big play potential that we didn't have last year.

We can beat the Colts without AJ. It's just going to be hard. But it's going to be hard even with AJ.

Texan Asylum
09-17-2007, 06:29 PM
But we beat the Colts last year by concentrating on the run, ball control, and winning the turnover battle and scoring points off the turnovers. Without AJ, we lose a huge chunk of big play potential. But that's big play potential that we didn't have last year.

Good points, and we beat the Colts last year handicapped in our QB position. :)

shinerbock_girl
09-17-2007, 06:33 PM
I feel we are better then the Titans and the Colts almost lost to them, i have confidence we can take them....We did it before, and I want Dayne to do what he did last year against them, have a break out game...

Texans_Chick
09-17-2007, 06:38 PM
Check out this game cast:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29091&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2006&week=REG16

Texans 27, Colts 24

Andre Johnson had 4 receptions for 48 yards and 0 TDs.

This was after the Texans did operation shutdown of the the passing attack. They were abused by the Patriots, and Carr had his bell rung badly in the Raiders game (not officially because nobody wants to admit concussions) and had no viable backup, so they played dink and dunk and run the ball all day.

Would I like AJ in the game?

Of course.

Does his presence on the field make it more difficult for defenders even if he doesn't catch the ball?

Sure it does.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Nawzer
09-17-2007, 06:45 PM
I think even with AJ on the field against the Colts our best chance of winning the game is by running the ball. That's how we beat the Colts last year and that's the recipe for winning against them imo. Us running the ball well and stopping their running game should be the key to victory. Ofcourse you can't replace a player like Andre Johnson but it's a chance for guys like Kevin Walter, Jacoby Jones, Owen Daniels, and etc. to step up and have a good game.

Grams
09-17-2007, 06:47 PM

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29091&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&season=2006&week=REG16

Texans 27, Colts 24

This was after the Texans did operation shutdown of the the passing attack. They were abused by the Patriots, and Carr had his bell rung badly in the Raiders game (not officially because nobody wants to admit concussions) and had no viable backup, so they played dink and dunk and run the ball all day.

Of course.

Does his presence on the field make it more difficult for defenders even if he doesn't catch the ball?

Sure it does.

I believe it was the Japanese that bombed Pearl Harbor.

I think the Texans are playing as a team more so than anytime in the past. They can beat Indy, if everyone plays the way they are capable of. We took them by surprise last year and they will not overlook us this. But I still think we can win.

powerfuldragon
09-17-2007, 06:49 PM

no way.

Grams
09-17-2007, 06:53 PM
no way.

I wasn't quite born at that time, but I think I did read it somewhere. I know it was in a movie, but you never know with Hollywood, if it is really true or not.

gwallaia
09-17-2007, 06:53 PM

Ha ha ha.

Wolf
09-17-2007, 06:54 PM

Texans 27, Colts 24

Of course.

Sure it does.

I know what you mean TC.. I think AJ closes our offense up.. AJ helps keep the teams honest about us running the ball. With or without AJ catching it..It makes a safety take notice, with him out.. we need the others to step up and help keep our offense open

BigTimeTexanFan
09-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Wow, did anyone stay awake in history class?

Grams
09-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Wow, did anyone stay awake in history class?

Do they still teach History?

Texan Asylum
09-17-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm afraid to ask if all this talk regarding Pearl Harbor is a joke or not. :backsout:

The Pencil Neck
09-17-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm afraid to ask if all this talk regarding Pearl Harbor is a joke or not. :backsout:

Well, I'm sure it started out that way.

EDIT: But I think some people don't know Steph very well. Not that I actually know Step but... there you go.

TxDavid
09-17-2007, 07:08 PM

I believe TC was referencing "Animal House" - specifically Belushi's "when the going gets tough" speech.

At any rate, we're gonna keep the ball on the ground most of this game. AJ out will hurt, yes, but we can still win the game. Our RB & TE will tear it up as usual, maybe even more than usual. And JJ will step up and make his mark. This is a team sport - and the Glue Factory is open.

:deadhorse

Ryan
09-17-2007, 07:14 PM
the main factor for success this week is our running game. We need to run all over them like we did last year to control clock and score points. And we need owen daniels to step up big as well.

Bohunk
09-17-2007, 07:16 PM
The way to beat the Colts is to rattle Manning early. If the D can get in and keep him off stride, and we can continue our ball control offense, we have a good chance even without AJ.

Double Barrel
09-17-2007, 07:28 PM
http://www.rinestock.com/xxrich_files/hitchhikers_guide.gif

We stand a chance. We beat Indy with David freakin' Carr last year. I think we can do it again. It's a long shot to ever beat the Colts, but I believe it can happen.

Keys to victory:
Homefield crowd - Loud & Proud!
Dominant defense
Run the ball down their throat
High third down conversion percentage by the offense/Schaub

frequentfliertx
09-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Pardon the language, but all I can say is: THIS TEAM CAN REALLY MOVE THAT GODDAMN BALL! I believe we have arrived!:texflag:

Joe Texan
09-17-2007, 07:36 PM
No question we have a chance, @ more sacks and all kinds of pressure on the QB in Carolina, And we just ran the kitties in the ground, Steve Smith was the only 1 I saw that did not look worn out. We have a hell of a chance and we will take this game. 3 and 0 baby

HJam72
09-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Maybe this is dumb, but assuming AJ doesn't play, I have two very different ideas:

1) Starting WRs = Jacoby Jones and -----------> Jerome Mathis. The idea here is that speed will keep the safeties back, and we run A LOT with Green. If they don't stay back, BURN THEM.

2) Starting TE = BOTH Daniels and Putzier. More blockers to deal with all those defenders in the box, and it gives Schaub TWO TEs to throw to. I'm showing my stupidity here; but, do we still have Bruener? He would be great on obvious run plays.

We CAN do this. Last year we had AJ, but we didn't have Schaub or Green, and our D keeps getting better. :texflag:

The Pencil Neck
09-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Maybe this is dumb, but assuming AJ doesn't play, I have two very different ideas:

1) Starting WRs = Jacoby Jones and -----------> Jerome Mathis. The idea here is that speed will keep the safeties back, and we run A LOT with Green. If they don't stay back, BURN THEM.

2) Starting TE = BOTH Daniels and Putzier. More blockers to deal with all those defenders in the box, and it gives Schaub TWO TEs to throw to. I'm showing my stupidity here; but, do we still have Bruener? He would be great on obvious run plays.

We CAN do this. Last year we had AJ, but we didn't have Schaub or Green, and our D keeps getting better. :texflag:

Bruener is still with us and still an important part of the offense. He had the flu last week, though.

rmartin65
09-17-2007, 08:02 PM
The chances become very small. We are definately the underdog with AJ. Without our best offensive weapon, it becomes scary. Their defense is playing well.

TexanSam
09-17-2007, 08:08 PM
We have a chance, but I think it's a slim one. If we can run the ball the way we did last year against the Colts and keep a ball control offense, I think it can be done. Walter and Jacoby have to step up their games though. I'd expect Owen Daniels to be thrown to a lot as well.

Leahmic223
09-17-2007, 08:13 PM
We are going to need Jones to step up and maybe Ahman Green will have to go to his pro-bowl form. If those two can step up we can win.

Also we should be getting Travis Johnson, and if Amobi plays like he did last week...and Travis continues to show up with Mario...we may see another blowout here at reliant.

Its a lot of ifs though.

IF Jacoby steps up
IF Green returns to probowl form(he has just been good enough as of late)
IF Amobi has two good games in a row

I think we can still win though.

AZwhoopr
09-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Would love to have AJ for this big game, but defense is the bigger concern this week. I think our offense can still be effective vs. an average colts D.

gjmac2
09-17-2007, 08:19 PM
The only chance we have is to be physical with the Colts. Pound the defense with the run, using a controlled passing game, and beat the hell out of them on D.

The big key is our front 4. If they can pressure Manning, we can force him to dump the ball off. That's when you tee off on them!

It's what the Titans and Jaguars have done for years, and what the Texans did last December.

It's the only chance the Texans have.

Texans Pride
09-17-2007, 08:25 PM

Right? I'm a little sick to my stomach reading some of these post. . .If you all are going to be able to remember football stats like the back of your hand (this is not directed towards TC and the Animal House quote), you better be able to remember that the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941, as President Roosevelt stated, "a date which will live in infamy".

i know, I know, :offtopic

Specnatz
09-17-2007, 08:40 PM

Texans 27, Colts 24

Of course.

Sure it does.

I laughed great line Steph. Classic.

Oh my god people go rent a movie now and again.

"hey, was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor?"...to wit Otter turns to Boon and says..."German's?"...and Boon says to Otter..."forget it...he's on a role".

Honoring Earl 34
09-17-2007, 08:50 PM
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?[/QUOTE]

My favorite part was when the boy was looking at the playboy and the girl flew through the window and the boy said ... thank you God .

I think that because it's a home game the crowd needs to be in their seats at kickoff and scream like a certain QB grabbing the Nair instead of the shampoo .

I think Jacoby and Mathis need to have big returns on special teams .

If the above happens and we're a + 3 in turnovers ... we'll win .

If they do win without AJ ... I will then predict an 11-5 season .

Hello TC ... glad your back .

Kaiser Toro
09-17-2007, 08:52 PM
The Colts beat down a finesse team on both sides of the ball the first game of the season, that will not happen to us. They were in a divisional dog fight at Tennessee and barely made it out alive, welcome to the AFC South for it is about to rise.

Injuries are something all teams have to deal with and is why the preseason does matter, especially for the bottom 38 players in respect to salary. I am confident someone will step up and am anxious to see who will be out for the Colts. I expect Boulware to make his first true impact on our season by getting in Manning's face.

The Texans are not scared, we are hot, we are executing and most importantly we believe. I like our chances with or without AJ.

daedge
09-17-2007, 08:53 PM
I think so. Remember the key to beating the Colts is to get the lead and control the clock (running the ball). I would expect to see more of a runniong attack and for Jacoby to put some numbers up. Also, look for Owen to have a good game.

No lead is safe against the Colts, just ask the Patriots :shades:

shawn76ers
09-17-2007, 08:58 PM
the most important player next week will be Green.
the key to beat the colts is to run Green 20 - 30 times next week with long conservative drives & some play action to owens. Consume that clock, thats the key to beating the colts.
I dont think this will be a shoot-out, im thinking it will be a very low scoring game, at least, thats the way we game planed last year against them.

infantrycak
09-17-2007, 11:17 PM
It's all about the game plan.

In that context,

Loss of AJ vs. upgrade of Schaub and Green

vs.

AJ with Carr and Dayne.

If AJ has to miss a game, this isn't a bad one and Schaub's presence more than makes up for his absence over last year's squad that won.

Hervoyel
09-18-2007, 12:01 AM
I'm just shocked that so many people missed the Animal House reference. I thought that was mandatory viewing or something.

vtech9
09-18-2007, 12:23 AM
for some reason, I can picture Jerome Mathis lined up in the slot on the right side, catching the ball on a quick slant, and taking it the distance. With AJ out, I can see the Colts not respecting our passing game and getting burnt by Davis, Jones, and Mathis, with Daniels and Walters moving the chains.

mancunian
09-18-2007, 02:29 AM
Nothing significant has changed on the Colts offense from last year, so our defense needs to play at the same level of intensity or better than it did the last time.

Only one thing - their LT retired and I think they're playing a rookie there instead. The Titans d-line got pressure on Manning - sacked him a couple of times.

We can win if our d-line can do as well or better than the Titans, and Green and Dayne run over them chewing up the clock.

TexansLucky13
09-18-2007, 03:15 AM
Only one thing - their LT retired and I think they're playing a rookie there instead. The Titans d-line got pressure on Manning - sacked him a couple of times.

We can win if our d-line can do as well or better than the Titans, and Green and Dayne run over them chewing up the clock.

They also got an interception off of him.

I personally think that the defense will be the key to this game. I see our offense struggling a bit without AJ, but not to the extent that we lose the game because of it. I feel that it will be a close one, but our D is better than theirs, and you all know it.

Texan_Bill
09-18-2007, 08:20 AM
I don't think the offense struggles...

Be prepared for a lot of dink and dunk - but also be prepared for alot of first downs and long clock draining drives.

4Texans
09-18-2007, 08:23 AM
I don't think the offense struggles...

Be prepared for a lot of dink and dunk - but also be prepared for alot of first downs and long clock draining drives.

My thought exactly.... Schaub is going to have to act more like Tom Brady and spread the ball around to everyone on the offense.

Can we win without AJ? Yes we can!:texflag:

Kaiser Toro
09-18-2007, 09:08 AM
I'm just shocked that so many people missed the Animal House reference. I thought that was mandatory viewing or something.

What're we supposed to do, you mo-ron?

Hervoyel
09-18-2007, 09:42 AM
What're we supposed to do, you mo-ron?

All right "Stork", that's enough out of you.

:wild:

HuttoKarl
09-18-2007, 09:53 AM
If Tennesee only lost by a couple with a nonpassing QB and the crew of WR scraps they have, we should be able to beat the Colts.

Will it be easy? Nope.

Will I bet my house on a Houston win? Probably not.

But it's not impossible.

Texan_Bill
09-18-2007, 09:56 AM
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Ahman is on 610 and sounds pretty confident that they won't change the game plan much...

DocBar
09-18-2007, 10:04 AM
I think we have a legit shot at winning. Green was out of the Carolina game halfway thru the 3rd quarter, so he wasn't pounded on as much in garbage time and should be fairly fresh for the Colts. IMHO, that was a very smart, intentional move by Kubes. He knows that ball control is how you beat the Colts. I imagine we'll see 40-50 rushes this Sunday between all 3 backs. We'll run it down their throat, then throw it downfield when we catch them loading the box up too much. I like Jacoby Jones A LOT and Mathis has improved quite a bit, as well. If the activate Andre Davis this week, it could be pretty interesting. We aren't as predictable this year with our TE's, either. Schaub will hit any one of them if they're open.

gtexan02
09-18-2007, 10:06 AM
I agree with Ole Miss Texan on this one. You guys are not giving Andre Johnson enough credit.

AJ had 7 catches, all the other WRs had 1. The reason AJ has more catches is because we throw him the ball more often, but the reason we throw him the ball more often is because he gets open more often.

We may have beat the Colts last year, but they didn't have Bob Sanders. If anyone has watched the Colts this year, I think it is a very safe bet to say Bob Sanders is playing the best defense of any NFL player right now. The Colts run defense is completely different with him in the game.

Whats the only way to get Sanders off the ball? Have guys like AJ stretch the defense.

I think if AJ is missing, its going to make it a lot harder for the other WRs and for our runnings backs to find space.

We can definitely still win this game, but I wish people wouldn't get so confident so early. They are the best team in the NFL.

gtexan02
09-18-2007, 10:08 AM
I think we have a legit shot at winning. Green was out of the Carolina game halfway thru the 3rd quarter, so he wasn't pounded on as much in garbage time and should be fairly fresh for the Colts. IMHO, that was a very smart, intentional move by Kubes. He knows that ball control is how you beat the Colts. I imagine we'll see 40-50 rushes this Sunday between all 3 backs. We'll run it down their throat, then throw it downfield when we catch them loading the box up too much. I like Jacoby Jones A LOT and Mathis has improved quite a bit, as well. If the activate Andre Davis this week, it could be pretty interesting. We aren't as predictable this year with our TE's, either. Schaub will hit any one of them if they're open.

You can't run it down their throats when Sanders is playing. You can't run it down their throats if you get behind by more than 2 scores and its after halftime.

What happens if its 21 - 7 in the 3rd? Are we still going to run run run?

I would LOVE to see a 50 rush game, because it would mean we are protecting the lead. But if you get one dimensional, you better believe the other team is going to capitalize.

The colts defense is good this year. We can't right them off like last years defense

infantrycak
09-18-2007, 10:16 AM
You can't run it down their throats when Sanders is playing.

Key matchup this week--Leach v. Sanders and Brackett

HoustonFrog
09-18-2007, 10:19 AM
I didn't read through everyones post so excuse me if this is a repeat.

Though it hurts alot we have a shot due to what we did last year against them. 200 yards of rushing the ball. If we can control clock and do things like utilize Daniels, run some bubble screens with Jacoby..pretty much keep within ourselves then we have a chance. The problem is going to be that they have two WRs that are #1s. Whomever is on the side Dunta is not on will get beat at times and if the Colts put up points quick then it will be a problem. But there is always a shot.

But I think the thing we need to do in the passing game is do what they do with S. Smith with Jacoby. Get it in his hands short and let him run if he can.

Ole Miss Texan
09-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Player Rec Yds Yds/Rec Long TD
Andre Johnson 14 262 18.7 77 3
Owen Daniels 6 72 12.0 14 0
Vonta Leach 6 29 4.8 9 0
Ahman Green 4 23 5.8 12 0
Jacoby Jones 2 33 16.5 26 0
Kevin Walter 2 17 8.5 10 0
Ron Dayne 1 10 10.0 10 0
Jeb Putzier 1 6 6.0 6 0

Per nfl.com

I wouldn't focus on the fact that AJ has all our receiving TD's after 2 games...My whole point is that AJ keeps drives alive by making first downs... I would suspect he would prolong at least 2 drives which would have a huge impact on our game plan of "keep the ball from peyton!"

Trivia Question (which I don't know yet, lol): How many of AJ's 14 catches this season have been for a 1st Down?

Exithios
09-18-2007, 10:42 AM
I am not concerned in the slightest. We will try to establish the run early. AG will likely get more carries against the Colts then he has in the previous 2 games. We will likely see more screens and dumps to the TE then we have as well. The Colt's, albeit there defense seems to have gotten better, are still a team with exploits. We proved it last year and we will prove it again this year. The secondary is the strength of the Colt's defense so AJ would have probably have made a couple of key plays in this game but I do not think he is detrimental to our success verses the Colt's.

My $0.02

DocBar
09-18-2007, 10:47 AM
You can't run it down their throats when Sanders is playing. You can't run it down their throats if you get behind by more than 2 scores and its after halftime.

What happens if its 21 - 7 in the 3rd? Are we still going to run run run?

I would LOVE to see a 50 rush game, because it would mean we are protecting the lead. But if you get one dimensional, you better believe the other team is going to capitalize.

The colts defense is good this year. We can't right them off like last years defense There were a lot of IFS in my post.... the biggest being IF we can generate enough pressure on Manning to get him antsy. The Texans have been very successful this year in mixing up the play calling and getting some quick scores so they CAN sit on the lead. I agree that the Colts D is MUCH better than it was last year, but then again, so is OUR team as a WHOLE. With our D-Line getting good pressure up front, our secondary swarming the ball and laying some SERIOUS hits and our offense being directed by a good QB this game takes on such a different look that it'll be a toss up as to who wins. If we lose, I'll be OK with it as long as we were in the game for 4 quarters and gave it hell.

Texans_Chick
09-18-2007, 10:48 AM
The colts defense is good this year. We can't right them off like last years defense

Let's not crown the Colts defense's behinds just yet.

The Colts played the Saints in their dome (NO is a team that is struggling and is probably not as good as the preseason predictions that account for the division they play in) and the Titans. They looked good against the Saints and non-good against the Titans.

Colts in their dome is not the same as the Colts on the road.

I have to say I am truly curious to see what the Texans system looks like with no AJ. Don't want to see that, but I'm curious to see what Schaub can do.

Ultimately....

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Yankee_In_TX
09-18-2007, 10:50 AM

Kids these days. Sigh.

Ole Miss Texan
09-18-2007, 10:53 AM
Okay, curiosity killed the cat...I looked it up :)

KC Game
Catch 1: 1st play of game 5 yd rec.
Catch 2: 15 yd 1st down rec. to KC 25
Catch 3: 77 yd TD rec.
Catch 4: 19 yd 1st down rec.
Catch 5: 2nd and 20, 6yd rec. (AJ Fumbles :scare: )
Catch 6: 9 yd 1st down rec.
Catch 7: 2nd and 12, 11 yd rec. (Dayne 1st down on 3rd and 1)

CAR Game
Catch 1 (voided): 13 yd 1st down rec. (Illegal formation i think on salaam, replay 3rd down)
Catch 1: 33 yd 1st down
Catch 2: 31 yd TD Rec.
Catch 3: 7 yd rec on 3rd and long, set up putzier 1st down on next play
Catch 4: 9 yd TD Rec.
Catch 5: 10 yd rec on 3rd & 17, set up 25 yd FG by Kris Brown at end of 1st half
Catch 6: 20 yd 1st down rec. to CAR 24
Catch 7 10 yd rec for 1st down on 3rd and 10

So to recap AJ's 14 Receptions:
3 for TD's
6 for 1st downs
1 to set up FG
2 to set up 3rd and short which were converted on next play (putzier/dayne)
1 5yd rec that had little effect
1 6yd rec which AJ fumbled

So AJ was KEY to converting 8 first downs, setting up 1 FG, and 3 TD's. Thats 12 of his 14 receptions!!!!

I'm a huge Jacoby supporter and Like Walter a lot more than most fans... but they are going to have to step up big time, while Green/Dayne/Gado have to have a huge game, and our Defense needs to keep doing what they are doing but against the 2nd best offense in the league. (Pats #1?) It can be done but we will have to play the best game of our NFL existence...I would then declare us playoff bound and that would really really excite me! lol

Texans_Chick
09-18-2007, 11:17 AM
So AJ was KEY to converting 8 first downs, setting up 1 FG, and 3 TD's. Thats 12 of his 14 receptions!!!!

I'm a huge Jacoby supporter and Like Walter a lot more than most fans... but they are going to have to step up big time, while Green/Dayne/Gado have to have a huge game, and our Defense needs to keep doing what they are doing but against the 2nd best offense in the league. (Pats #1?) It can be done but we will have to play the best game of our NFL existence...I would then declare us playoff bound and that would really really excite me! lol

Thanks for looking it up.

What is interesting to me is how some people complained that in the preseason, Andre Johnson wasn't getting the ball enough. And then when the season started, bam.

Of course, it is easier for Jacoby Jones to get more open when AJ is also on the field with him, but it will be interesting to see if the sort of efficiency we saw with the non-AJ WRs in the preseason carries over to the regular season. Like the beginning of the Tampa Bay game.

Let's assume that the Texans are a really good team. (This isn't as much of a homer assumption as could seem--Pete Prisco's rating system (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/features/writers/prisco/grades/week1) gave both of the Texans wins high quality win marks). The Colts haven't played a really good team on the road yet. (Okay, you can say that the Titans are a really good team. I'm not sold on that yet. I believe that they are a quirky team that presents interesting matchup problems).

Last year, even when the Colts were going 9-0, they had a really easy early schedule, and many of the games they won were by very small margins.

I think Bob Sanders is great, and then there is Freeney, and then there is a bunch of guys who left in the offseason. The Colts defense depends on its offense to get up early and for opposing offenses to abandon the run when they get down and get one dimensional.

And to continue this discussion...

We gotta take these *******. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

:texans chick:

Personally, I think the best approach is to bust them in the mouth.

gtexan02
09-18-2007, 11:25 AM
If there is one thing both the Saints and the Titans showed us, its that the Colts one big weakness in regards to their run defense is a big fat guy pounding it up the middle and smacking them in the mouth.

Reggie Bush looked awful
Chris Brown did terrible

Deuce looked ok and LenDale White moved the chains

So I guess we should be excited that Green is a between the tackles guy and Dayne is as fat as they come!

DocBar
09-18-2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks for looking it up.

What is interesting to me is how some people complained that in the preseason, Andre Johnson wasn't getting the ball enough. And then when the season started, bam.

Of course, it is easier for Jacoby Jones to get more open when AJ is also on the field with him, but it will be interesting to see if the sort of efficiency we saw with the non-AJ WRs in the preseason carries over to the regular season. Like the beginning of the Tampa Bay game.

Let's assume that the Texans are a really good team. (This isn't as much of a homer assumption as could seem--Pete Prisco's rating system (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/features/writers/prisco/grades/week1) gave both of the Texans wins high quality win marks). The Colts haven't played a really good team on the road yet. (Okay, you can say that the Titans are a really good team. I'm not sold on that yet. I believe that they are a quirky team that presents interesting matchup problems).

Last year, even when the Colts were going 9-0, they had a really easy early schedule, and many of the games they won were by very small margins.

I think Bob Sanders is great, and then there is Freeney, and then there is a bunch of guys who left in the offseason. The Colts defense depends on its offense to get up early and for opposing offenses to abandon the run when they get down and get one dimensional.

And to continue this discussion...

We gotta take these *******. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

:texans chick:

Personally, I think the best approach is to bust them in the mouth. Are you related to my wife? She takes that same dang approach with me...Nice post, BTW

Hervoyel
09-18-2007, 11:28 AM
You're going to show up at the game inside a float that looks like a cake and conceals the "Death Mobile" aren't you.

Dibs on the Pirate costume and cardboard sword. I'm going to climb the side of the stadium, swing down from a banner and scoop up a Texan cheerleader.

I'll have to give her back of course. The wife would not be amused but she would understand that it had to be done if we were going to pull off a real "Animal House" tribute.

Ole Miss Texan
09-18-2007, 11:55 AM
one big weakness in regards to their run defense is a big fat guy pounding it up the middle and smacking them in the mouth.

Haha, that's my new favorite strategy. For defense or offense...Smack 'em in the mouth.

So I guess we should be excited that Green is a between the tackles guy and Dayne is as fat as they come!

I know you say that with love for the Dayne-Train. :devilpig:

Texans_Chick
09-18-2007, 12:25 PM
You're going to show up at the game inside a float that looks like a cake and conceals the "Death Mobile" aren't you.

Dibs on the Pirate costume and cardboard sword. I'm going to climb the side of the stadium, swing down from a banner and scoop up a Texan cheerleader.

I'll have to give her back of course. The wife would not be amused but she would understand that it had to be done if we were going to pull off a real "Animal House" tribute.

I would so totally love to have a Texans Death Mobile. A friend of mine in college had a car that looked like the Death Mobile and it was totally sweet. Though hard to park in them skinny Reliant spaces though.

You have to go all AH when someone wonders if we are totally doomed because our grade point averages is 0.0 or we are on double secret probation or our stud Pro Bowl wide receiver has a knee injury of undetermined duration.

Ole Miss Texan
09-18-2007, 12:48 PM
The time has come for someone to put his foot down. And that foot is me.

Signed,

Houston Defense

DocBar
09-18-2007, 12:55 PM

Any chance of getting a horse into Dungy's or Irsay's office??? We would get double top secret probation for it, but it'd be worth it!!!

Hervoyel
09-18-2007, 12:57 PM
I would so totally love to have a Texans Death Mobile. A friend of mine in college had a car that looked like the Death Mobile and it was totally sweet. Though hard to park in them skinny Reliant spaces though.

You have to go all AH when someone wonders if we are totally doomed because our grade point averages is 0.0 or we are on double secret probation or our stud Pro Bowl wide receiver has a knee injury of undetermined duration.

Well that pretty much does it then. We need a "Death Mobile".

I'll see what I can dig up. I'm thinking something early 70's that's not particularly collectible and that we can weld fins and assorted junk on. Texans logos on the side as opposed to greek letters. Steel Blue instead of black (but keep the teeth on the front and the "DEATHMOBILE" on the "turret". The turret needs to be the same shape as the movie one but heavily tinted plexi glass so it's driveable. I doubt we can keep it street legal but it could be possible.

Maybe removable plexi panels. One set clear so they're safe to drive around in and the other heavily tinted to get the movie look.

TooManyWeapons
09-18-2007, 12:57 PM

Interesting assessment, T_C, but I think you're proliferating a common misconception about the Colts defense.

The "bunch of guys who left in the offseason" have all been replaced by bigger, faster, younger, more physical players who by all accounts (and certainly evident in the gameplay thus far) are better for our system and just plain more imposing than the players they've replaced.

Jason David and Nick Harper have been replaced by Kelvin Hayden and Marlin Jackson - gone is the 10-15 yard cushion that was once allowed for opposing team's WRs. These guys are fast and physical - Jackson especially shows potential to become a long-passer's worst nightmare with his propensity for interceptions.

The run game against the Colts is a much more painful endeavor this year thanks to a revived linebacker corps lead by the veteran MLB Gary Brackett. Brackett is now joined by Rob Morris and the extremely hard-hitting (as in "putting RBs flat on their backs from a full-on run") Freddy Keiaho. Factor in Bob Sanders as the headhunter and the porous run defense of last year's regular season is truly a thing of the past.

It's OK though - if people are surprised by the veracity of our D, it's not a bad thing. :)

Honoring Earl 34
09-18-2007, 12:58 PM
Any chance of getting a horse into Dungy's or Irsay's office??? We would get double top secret probation for it, but it'd be worth it!!!

Nope .... i think Mario and Amobi make Peyton a zit .

2BCF
09-18-2007, 01:14 PM
We'll be fine. Jacoby will shine. :wild:

euro-Texan
09-18-2007, 01:22 PM
I must admit that I am typing this with a cool-aide stained top lip, but after all of the games I have seen, there is truely something different with this team. Team is the important term there. I agree with most that AJ is the biggest threat on this team, but he is not the heart and soul of it. I'm not trying to be negitive, believe me I pass up every jersey in my closet on Sunday morning for my tattered #80. My point is that we look like a team this year. Although he is important, The team will game plan for his absence and if we are the team that everyone says than we will pull off the win. It will take about 70,000 fans on top of our players though. I sure wish I were there to do my part in disrupting Mannings audibles. The fans that showed up for the first game against Dallas showed how loud and disruptive our house can be. If our fans don't throw in the towel over AJ's absense than we can pull this off for sure. My two cents....:texflag:

Pantherstang84
09-18-2007, 01:43 PM
lol the Animal House references in this thread are hilarious.

I've said since Training Camp that we would split with the Colts this year. This game is in our house. The ponies will not disrespect us in our house anymore.

Unlike the Flaming Meatballs, our QB won't run around in the pocket like his hair is on fire and crumble like a cracker on the last play of the game. Also, our team won't get punked like the Religious Dieties over in Swamp Gas Corners either.

We take this one.

The Colts will probably get us in the house of piped in crowd noise. However, they won't punk us in our backyard.

Dread-Head
09-18-2007, 01:57 PM
Defense wins Championships baby. Let Johnson rest up if he needs it. As long as the Dunta can hold Marvin Harrison Mr. Manning will have to contend with the Lawfirm of Willimans, Okoye, & Ryans. This one isn't a lock without Andre, but the Texans can win without him.

GermanTexan
09-18-2007, 02:03 PM
I think if we have a good pass rush we have a chance and against indy we have green and dayne... we have to rush a lot... :cowboy1:

TooManyWeapons
09-18-2007, 02:14 PM
lol the Animal House references in this thread are hilarious.

I've said since Training Camp that we would split with the Colts this year. This game is in our house. The ponies will not disrespect us in our house anymore.

Unlike the Flaming Meatballs, our QB won't run around in the pocket like his hair is on fire and crumble like a cracker on the last play of the game. Also, our team won't get punked like the Religious Dieties over in Swamp Gas Corners either.

We take this one.

Wow. You certainly seem sure about that.

That's cool and all... but... damn.

It's gonna hurt like a mofo when you see this thread again on Sunday night.

The Colts will probably get us in the house of piped in crowd noise. However, they won't punk us in our backyard.

Ever been inside the RCA dome?

Piped-in noise... no way, man. It's a great big enclosed room full of drunken Hoosiers... how else would you expect it to sound?

Pantherstang84
09-18-2007, 02:19 PM

It's gonna hurt like a mofo when you see this thread again on Sunday night.

I'll be here long after your ponies have gone home crying.

TooManyWeapons
09-18-2007, 02:20 PM
I'll be here long after your ponies have gone home crying.

I really didn't come here with the intent to talk smack, but if you push me to it I will lay waste like a plague. ;)

infantrycak
09-18-2007, 02:23 PM
I really didn't come here with the intent to talk smack, but if you push me to it I will lay waste like a plague. ;)

There is a smack talk forum so everyone, please take any smack urges over there.

TooManyWeapons
09-18-2007, 02:30 PM
There is a smack talk forum so everyone, please take any smack urges over there.

I really have no urge to do so. This is a nice forum and I really just wanted to talk a little football, that's all.

At the same time, the "They will not disrespect us in our house" stuff seemed a tad premature and did cause a chuckle.. :)

Pantherstang84
09-18-2007, 02:53 PM
I really have no urge to do so. This is a nice forum and I really just wanted to talk a little football, that's all.

At the same time, the "They will not disrespect us in our house" stuff seemed a tad premature and did cause a chuckle.. :)

Premature?

Is this what you meant?

pre·ma·ture /?prim?'t???r, -'t??r, -'ty??r, 'prim??t???r or, especially Brit., ?pr?m?-, 'pr?m?-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pree-muh-choor, -toor, -tyoor, pree-muh-choor or, especially Brit., prem-uh-, prem-uh-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. occurring, coming, or done too soon: a premature announcement.
2. mature or ripe before the proper time.

I make a impassioned comment about my team and the game this weekend and I'm premature?

Lets establish a few facts shall we?

1. This is a message board for fans to talk about guess what? The Houston Texans.
2. At no time did I direct any comment toward any Colts fan visiting here or disparage anyone on the board in a personal manner.
3. I did not make my comments on a Colts Message Board nor do I even visit such places. The Colts fans have their forums and the Texans fans have theirs.
4. Nor did I solicit comments from Colts fans regarding my comments.

Did I miss anything?

TooManyWeapons
09-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Premature?

Is this what you meant?

<snip>

Did I miss anything?

I'd say so, yes.

1. This is a message board for fans to talk about guess what? The Houston Texans.

That's correct. I think it could be agreed by all that that is what we're both doing. What's more, as a Colts fan, discussion of the Colts re: the upcoming game is equally relevant, since it has to do with the Texans.

If you want to discuss your Texans without fans of other teams chiming in, it would probably go better for you to do so on a forum where fans of other teams aren't welcome (wherever that may be - I'm guess it's a pretty boring place if it exists at all).

I'm a member here and have the same privileges to discussion in this thread as anyone else - especially since it's about the upcoming game against the Colts.

2. At no time did I direct any comment toward any Colts fan visiting here or disparage anyone on the board in a personal manner.

Neither have I. I'm not sure if you're making a point here, but if you are I'm afraid I'm missing it.

3. I did not make my comments on a Colts Message Board nor do I even visit such places. The Colts fans have their forums and the Texans fans have theirs.

Segregation is boring. If I wanted to listen to a bunch of Colts homers go on and on all week long about how we will crush you, I wouldn't have joined up here.

4. Nor did I solicit comments from Colts fans regarding my comments.

I disagree. See my above point - this is a forum to which a number of Colts fans are registered. By posting at all you've opened yourself willingly to comments from other members, be they Colts fans or not. If it's really that big of a problem for you, maybe you should put something at the end of all your messages like:
"This post is intended for fellow Texans fans only - comments or rebuttals by fans of other NFL teams are not welcomed."

If you want to talk football w/ me that's fine - that's why I'm here - but I've got to stress that trying to bandy words with me on the basis of some implied pseudo-exclusivity is a waste of both our time and is likely to gain you nothing.

Now where's that "let's have a beer" smiley? Ah, here it is... :toast2:

Pantherstang84
09-18-2007, 03:49 PM
I'd say so, yes.

That's correct. I think it could be agreed by all that that is what we're both doing. What's more, as a Colts fan, discussion of the Colts re: the upcoming game is equally relevant, since it has to do with the Texans.

If you want to discuss your Texans without fans of other teams chiming in, it would probably go better for you to do so on a forum where fans of other teams aren't welcome (wherever that may be - I'm guess it's a pretty boring place if it exists at all).

I'm a member here and have the same privileges to discussion in this thread as anyone else - especially since it's about the upcoming game against the Colts.

Neither have I. I'm not sure if you're making a point here, but if you are I'm afraid I'm missing it.

Segregation is boring. If I wanted to listen to a bunch of Colts homers go on and on all week long about how we will crush you, I wouldn't have joined up here.

I disagree. See my above point - this is a forum to which a number of Colts fans are registered. By posting at all you've opened yourself willingly to comments from other members, be they Colts fans or not. If it's really that big of a problem for you, maybe you should put something at the end of all your messages like:
"This post is intended for fellow Texans fans only - comments or rebuttals by fans of other NFL teams are not welcomed."

If you want to talk football w/ me that's fine - that's why I'm here - but I've got to stress that trying to bandy words with me on the basis of some implied pseudo-exclusivity is a waste of both our time and is likely to gain you nothing.

Now where's that "let's have a beer" smiley? Ah, here it is... :toast2:

Oh come on. Not the dissect the post game. :thumbdown

TooManyWeapons
09-18-2007, 03:52 PM
Oh come on. Not the dissect the post game. :thumbdown

You're the one throwing out inane numbered lists. What is your problem with accepting point-by-point posts in turn? Can't take what you dish out?

I thought Texans fans had developed a thicker skin?

Or don't you have any argument for what I said?

Texan_Bill
09-18-2007, 03:58 PM

*scratches head*
Ummmm yes.... and I'm really not sure why you are trying to pimp that place either. If I were you, I would start pimping your soon to be new home - Lucas Oil Stop and Lube.

Pantherstang84
09-18-2007, 03:59 PM
You're the one throwing out inane numbered lists. What is your problem with accepting point-by-point posts in turn? Can't take what you dish out?

I thought Texans fans had developed a thicker skin?

Or don't you have any argument for what I said?

You know what? My son is good at this game. I'll see if he wants to play along with you later.

You'll be gone Monday and I've got better things to do with my time.

Heck. What am I talking about? You won't even be back Sunday afternoon.

Double Barrel
09-18-2007, 04:03 PM
I majored in primitive cultures, so I know all about Colts fans. :howdy:

TooManyWeapons
09-18-2007, 04:10 PM
*scratches head*
Ummmm yes.... and I'm really not sure why you are trying to pimp that place either. If I were you, I would start pimping your soon to be new home - Lucas Oil Stop and Lube.

Oh God no, I'm not pimping that hole.

I merely mentioned that in response to the ludicrous rumor that the Colts pump artificial crowd noise through the PA. It's understandably loud as hell in there without such shenanigans.

Lucas Oil Stadium is coming along beautifully, though. It's a horrible name, but man that place is going to be awesome next year when it's complete.

You know what? My son is good at this game. I'll see if he wants to play along with you later.

You'll be gone Monday and I've got better things to do with my time.

Heck. What am I talking about? You won't even be back Sunday afternoon.

You know me so well. I'm glad you're so adept at figuring people out over the course of two threads on a message board in a single afternoon. It's a testament to your no-doubt staggering intellect. If your son is as smart as you claim, he'll likely be embarrassed when he logs on here and sees this mess.

TexanExile
09-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Guys, can we please get back to the thread topic? We have a rivalry/ neener-neener forum for that stuff.

TMW, I appreciate your earlier attempt to identify for us several Pony players we've never heard of who will, in your opinion, rise to fill the void left by the off-season turnstile in Indianapolis. Hard to argue that anyone would miss Jason David about right now, but are you seriously contending that Kelvin Hayden and Marlin Jackson comprise a top backfield in the NFL? Other than hype ("long-passer's worst nightmare," Jackson's "propensity for interceptions" evidenced by his grand total of 0 this season and 2 in his whole career (http://www.nfl.com/players/marlinjackson/profile?id=JAC399489)), is there any on-field evidence to support that?

Not trying to be rude, but I have a feeling that any list of "worst nightmares" featuring Marlin Jackson probably wouldn't keep Schaub up at night. Dunta Robinson would, though. I believe he has as many INTs as your whole defense. And...Freddy Keiaho is your new star LB? I'm sure some around here are wondering, "who the ___ is Freddy Keiaho?" And before you give us the standard "Oh, you'll find out on Sunday!" reply, here's a link to the stats documenting his long career, featuring 25 whole tackles--20 all by himself (http://www.nfl.com/players/freddiekeiaho/profile?id=KEI039550)!

So in a way, thanks. Wasn't so sure the Texans did have a chance without AJ, but after your introduction to those guys, I feel a lot better now. :winky:

Dread-Head
09-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Since everyone is adopting Texans I don't want it said that the Dread-Head couldn't get into the spirit of things so I too will adopt a Texan...'s Cheerleader. Preferably that redhead...whatshername?
:splits: That's right it's peanut butter jelly time! Peanut butter jelly time!" lol

Dread-Head
09-18-2007, 04:23 PM
:splits: Peanutbutter jelly! Peanutbutter jelly! Peanutbutter jelly with a baseball bat!

Ole Miss Texan
09-18-2007, 04:25 PM
Guys, can we please get back to the thread topic? We have a rivalry/ neener-neener forum for that stuff.

TMW, I appreciate your earlier attempt to identify for us several Pony players we've never heard of who will, in your opinion, rise to fill the void left by the off-season turnstile in Indianapolis. Hard to argue that anyone would miss Jason David about right now, but are you seriously contending that Kelvin Hayden and Marlin Jackson comprise a top backfield in the NFL? Other than hype ("long-passer's worst nightmare," Jackson's "propensity for interceptions" evidenced by his grand total of 0 this season and 2 in his whole career (http://www.nfl.com/players/marlinjackson/profile?id=JAC399489)), is there any on-field evidence to support that?

Not trying to be rude, but I have a feeling that any list of "worst nightmares" featuring Marlin Jackson probably wouldn't keep Schaub up at night. Dunta Robinson would, though. I believe he has as many INTs as your whole defense. And...Freddy Keiaho is your new star LB? I'm sure some around here are wondering, "who the ___ is Freddy Keiaho?" And before you give us the standard "Oh, you'll find out on Sunday!" reply, here's a link to the stats documenting his long career, featuring 25 whole tackles--20 all by himself (http://www.nfl.com/players/freddiekeiaho/profile?id=KEI039550)!

So in a way, thanks. Wasn't so sure the Texans did have a chance without AJ, but after your introduction to those guys, I feel a lot better now. :winky:

:ohsnap:

TooManyWeapons
09-18-2007, 04:27 PM

Alright alright, sorry if I got a little snippy with ol' panther up there.

Some folks do rub me the wrong way, and it's not always just THEIR fault.

Your stats are sound - maybe the analysts ranking the Texans at #6 aren't the only ones with some excess zeal (Referring to myself).

However, I do believe you will be a little surprised. Keiaho is a stud and Hayden and Jackson are significantly better than David and Harper, as will become evident to you in a few short days.

But live it up now, please. ;)

The Pencil Neck
09-18-2007, 04:41 PM
However, I do believe you will be a little surprised. Keiaho is a stud and Hayden and Jackson are significantly better than David and Harper, as will become evident to you in a few short days.

But live it up now, please. ;)

Oh, yeah, definitely, your defense is very much better now. And iirc, the Titans got off easy because you had 2 of your starting lb's out.

But... I'm going to say this and you're going to laugh but...

We have no idea how good our offense is this year. It hasn't played more that 2.5 quarters, yet. Seriously. Our QB has only thrown 5 passes in the 4th quarter this year. (And he's completed all 5 of them.)
Our best running back only has 4 attempts in the 4th quarter so far because we've stuck in our 2nd string back to save the wear and tear on Ahman. In the second quarter, when it counts, Ahman is 12 attempts for 70 yards and a 5.8 yp and 5 first downs.

The Colts game should be the first game to really see what we have. We might not win it. The Colts are a great team. We're both better teams than we were last year. Don't expect a cakewalk.

TexanExile
09-18-2007, 04:42 PM
maybe the analysts ranking the Texans at #6 aren't the only ones with some excess zeal (Referring to myself).

Winning the Lombardi Trophy always gives you reason for zeal. We're just glad this game's no longer only a pit-stop on Indy's way to the playoffs. I think this'll be a great game, AJ or no...Schaub will definitely have to adjust if some combination of Jones/Walter/Mathis/Davis is the best group of WRs Houston can put on the field. Jones in particular is super-fast and naturally talented, from what we saw in the preseason, but he's just playing in his 3rd real game and Lane College wasn't exactly an NFL atmosphere. (Thank God it's a home game.) But the MAIN difference between winning-Texans late-'06 and winning-Texans early-'07 has everything to do with Schaub's ability to react well in bad/worsening situations, and that makes me feel so much better about this game.

(...and I shouldn't have to tell you what I think the outcome will be...
:homer: )

DocBar
09-18-2007, 04:45 PM

It's gonna hurt like a mofo when you see this thread again on Sunday night. We've heard this one before...not saying we're gonna kick Colt butt, just that this ain't your daddy's old Carr....

Piped-in noise... no way, man. It's a great big enclosed room full of drunken Hoosiers... how else would you expect it to sound? I'm going to the game in Indy this year. I'm working about an hour east of Cincinnati and going to Cleveland, Tacks and Indy this year.

Hervoyel
09-18-2007, 05:09 PM
...The Colts game should be the first game to really see what we have. We might not win it. The Colts are a great team. We're both better teams than we were last year. Don't expect a cakewalk.

I believe that too. Maybe it's erring on the side of caution on my part but I enjoyed the K.C. game and then told myself to wait and see what happened against Carolina before I got excited. Then we beat Carolina like a drum and now I keep telling myself to wait and see what happens when we play the Colts. I keep trying to hold off on getting excited until the "other shoe" drops.

We know what Indianapolis can do. We've seen what they're capable of. They owned us completely right up the second game of last year and for all we really know they may still own us. This game will be great for the Texans because it will show us what we have against a well known, high quality, measurable opponent.

Sunday evening we'll know exactly how excited we should be.

Battle Red Flash
09-18-2007, 05:19 PM
So do you think we still have a chance against Indy?

Yes, we have a chance.
So far, no one can run on us, and we are creating turnovers.
We need to run, run, run the ball, and hit it deep every once in awhile.
Davis, Mathis, Jacoby can get deep.
Like always against the Colts, we must play near flawless, but I believe, yes, it can be done again.

Double Barrel
09-18-2007, 05:23 PM
"They can do all because they think they can." ~ Virgil

The team knows that they can beat Indy now. Last year was a clear signal that this is a different Texans team. I know this will be one tough game, and we will definitely be underdogs. But I still believe that we can win the game.

dalemurphy
09-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Yes, we have a chance.
So far, no one can run on us, and we are creating turnovers.
We need to run, run, run the ball, and hit it deep every once in awhile.
Davis, Mathis, Jacoby can get deep.
Like always against the Colts, we must play near flawless, but I believe, yes, it can be done again.

I think the key against the Colts is being able to identify when they're in their 7 man shell on defense and ramming it down their throats. Second, attacking them on the edges when Sanders is in the box. A lot of the success they had against the run in the playoffs was due to myopic offensive coaching. Teams were determined to run the ball against Indy and ignored what the Colts were doing on defense. Especially in the KC game, they just kept running right into the teeth of an 8 man front until they had 3rd and 9. My bet is Schaub will be schooled on little tells all week in order to decipher the presnap intentions of the Colts and audible appropriately... That'll be the game right there. Well, that plus whether we can make plays on defense and make their offense work and kick FGs.

Texans_Chick
09-18-2007, 05:58 PM
Interesting assessment, T_C, but I think you're proliferating a common misconception about the Colts defense.

The "bunch of guys who left in the offseason" have all been replaced by bigger, faster, younger, more physical players who by all accounts (and certainly evident in the gameplay thus far) are better for our system and just plain more imposing than the players they've replaced.

Jason David and Nick Harper have been replaced by Kelvin Hayden and Marlin Jackson - gone is the 10-15 yard cushion that was once allowed for opposing team's WRs. These guys are fast and physical - Jackson especially shows potential to become a long-passer's worst nightmare with his propensity for interceptions.

The run game against the Colts is a much more painful endeavor this year thanks to a revived linebacker corps lead by the veteran MLB Gary Brackett. Brackett is now joined by Rob Morris and the extremely hard-hitting (as in "putting RBs flat on their backs from a full-on run") Freddy Keiaho. Factor in Bob Sanders as the headhunter and the porous run defense of last year's regular season is truly a thing of the past.

It's OK though - if people are surprised by the veracity of our D, it's not a bad thing. :)

Potential. We are talking a lot of potential on both defenses.

Your team is different when it is not in your dome. The defense usually is much better because they can get an early jump because of all of the noise. Your defense traditionally has been very different when it doesn't get an early lead.

I do not believe in the Colts defense yet. Given the long time strength of your offense and The Peyton's pact with the devil, your defensive stats and play should be much better. I do like the way your team is coached, and you do a great job drafting and acquiring free agents that fit what you do.

I think that this game is going to show a lot of things.

Lucky
09-18-2007, 06:57 PM
I do not believe in the Colts defense yet.
I don't, either. They're a finesse defense. They were intimidated by Vince Young last Sunday. Once, Young lowered his shoulder into a Colt safety just to say, "I know you're afraid of me." On paper, there's no way Tennessee should be able to beat the Colts. But, the Titans were a dropped pass from a game winning FG attempt. And that's because they out hit the Colts in the 2nd half.

Thus far, the Texans have played two teams that are considered "physical". And they've whupped them both (whupped is a legitimate word here, Colt fans). Now, I don't know if the Texans will win this Sunday. But I do know that the Colts will realize that they were at a football game, and not a track meet, when they leave the field at Reliant.

CloakNNNdagger
09-18-2007, 09:03 PM

Texans 27, Colts 24

Of course.

Sure it does.

Some things to think about:

From last 2006 game.........

*As you already, pointed out AJ 4 for 48 yds (the passing attack was evenly distributed to other receivers)

*Dink and dunk potential only

*Owen Daniels not in the the game

*No return game

*No punting game

*2 of 3 Colt TD's Manning to Harrison (8 for 112 yds)

*18 Colts running plays

*Colts run defense weak

*Manning reading newspapers in the pocket

*Going into the game, Texans not really knowing or even thinking they have a significant chance of beating the Colts

This upcoming game..........

*Multiple new compliment of WR's

*QB with short/mid/long pass potential

*Potential speedsters x 2 return game

*Long and precision place kicking punter

*Manning/Harrison still main focus

*Texans rushing defense scarey (besides the fact that Colts pattern of around 20 or less rushing plays likely as seen on last weeks Tacks game).........with the Texans' pass rush looking to be waking up and also becoming scarey, the Texans likely able to take advantage of Colts one dimensional game

*Manning throwing away his newspaper and purchasing extra butt pads

*Colts rush defense not looking much stronger

*Going into the game, the Texans knowing and thinking that they can defeat the "Giant."

There's a new SHERIFF in town..........and it ain't the Colts...........not in our town............Manning, you WILL meet our RAGING BULLS.........and they Will MEAT you.

The Pencil Neck
09-18-2007, 09:12 PM
:shots:

Here, Cloak. Have some more koolaid.

And tell us what you know about PCL sprains...

CloakNNNdagger
09-18-2007, 09:37 PM
:shots:

Here, Cloak. Have some more koolaid.

And tell us what you know about PCL sprains...

I'll try to be brief:

A posterior cruciate ligament injury is caused usually by a direct hit on the "shin bone" (tibia). In a "sprain," there is still some microtearing of the ligament. In a low grade injury labelled a sprain, there is usually NO KNEE JOINT INSTABILITY. There is minimal and short-lived swelling, stiffness and discomfort. Usually the knee is splinted in extension for about week with very early mobilization with quad and hamstring exercises........the strengthening of the quads is the most important part of the recovery. Without knowing exactly what grade of "low-grade" injury he really has sustained, it is difficult to prognosticate his return..........it could be any where from 1 week (very unlikely) to 4 weeks. After his MRI, we should hopefully gained additional truthful information.

sakebomb
09-18-2007, 10:21 PM
I think they can. Let's see what the rest of the guys are made of.

Q-tip is still in there and he will be spreading the ball around. The WR's and Owens will need to step it up a notch. Green and Dayne can run on the colts. The defense will hopefully slow them down and special teams will help with field position. :whip:

Oh yeah and RELIANT IS GOING TO BE ONE LOUD STADIUM on SUNDAY.

gwallaia
09-18-2007, 10:24 PM
This had to be posted.
http://www.killerclips.com/clip.php?id=123&qid=1558

shawn76ers
09-18-2007, 10:37 PM
I think they can. Let's see what the rest of the guys are made of.

Q-tip is still in there and he will be spreading the ball around. The WR's and Owens will need to step it up a notch. Green and Dayne can run on the colts. The defense will hopefully slow them down and special teams will help with field position. :whip:

Oh yeah and RELIANT IS GOING TO BE ONE LOUD STADIUM on SUNDAY.

just curiouis to why the nickname of Q-tip ??

MissouriTexan
09-18-2007, 10:40 PM

Because sakebomb does what he wants.

Wolf
09-18-2007, 10:41 PM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=738886

herm says it best :splits: :whip:

The Pencil Neck
09-18-2007, 11:03 PM

It's a cotton swab.

It's also reaching.

threetoedpete
09-19-2007, 12:29 AM
yes, we have jacoby jones.

And yet JJ will once again be in the slot and Davis will be starting at the WR1 spot. Go figure. Eventually you're going to get it. This coach 1. picks players he knows over players with repataions. 2. Unless a stuation is at critical mass, he will always pick the vet over the rookie. As it should be there grass hopper.

Can they win ? Sure they can. Is it probable ? Everybody will pick agaisnt them in the national media. The Texans will try to run the ball and Indy will try to stop it with eight in the box. Indy will try to create as many turnovers as they can. The main hurt with the loss of Andre is not the TD production. He was the chain mover. He is our first down rain maker. And that probably directly led to his injury. So now, Kubiack is going to have to reach into his bag of tricks and find six plays that move the chains six times and sustain two long time consumming drives. We're better with overall depth. The Colts have all of their toys healthy this time. But there has been a general erosion of tallent on the Colts squad. Fletcher shutting down Gonzales in the slot will be a key to this game. I think if it was my Club, I give Shante Orr the start over Tony Ugoh. Also, the Colts coach responsible for getting Tony Ugoh up to speed this quickly after his senrior bowl performances deserves the assitant coach of the year honors. TBS, he had a great deal of trouble last week with Vanden Bosch, a quick footed speed rusher.

The bottom line is simply this: can we move the chains and can we get pressure straight up the middle on Manning ? He can't throw the ball if he's sitting on his keester. And can we move the chains without our rain maker ? The kiddos will have to take a giant leap forward to get it done. But they have the tallent to turn the NFL Gurus on their collective ears if they do it sunday. 3-0 to start off the year with a bloody nose for Peyton and the boys ? That there thingy is play off run territory my friends.

threetoedpete
09-19-2007, 12:43 AM
I'll try to be brief:

A posterior cruciate ligament injury is caused usually by a direct hit on the "shin bone" (tibia). In a "sprain," there is still some microtearing of the ligament. In a low grade injury labelled a sprain, there is usually NO KNEE JOINT INSTABILITY. There is minimal and short-lived swelling, stiffness and discomfort. Usually the knee is splinted in extension for about week with very early mobilization with quad and hamstring exercises........the strengthening of the quads is the most important part of the recovery. Without knowing exactly what grade of "low-grade" injury he really has sustained, it is difficult to prognosticate his return..........it could be any where from 1 week (very unlikely) to 4 weeks. After his MRI, we should hopefully gained additional truthful information.

Thank you for the post Doc. As always great post.

O.K. the kids need the targets, I'm looking at it as the glass half full. They are going to get their oportunty to prove that they belong on the NFL stage.
We may not win sunday but this oportunty for the young recievers to prove themselves can only help the club over all. Sooner or later if we want the play off run they are going to have to make plays. I had nothing against Keenan McCadrel. He is a great pro. But if we're going to go with the young guys they must have thier targets in live action. That includes Walter. Now they are going to get that oportunity in spades. If they make the leap Sunday we're a NFL jugernaut. If they don't, we be paitient with them untill they do get it.

The Pencil Neck
09-19-2007, 01:37 AM
And yet JJ will once again be in the slot and Davis will be starting at the WR1 spot. Go figure. Eventually you're going to get it. This coach 1. picks players he knows over players with repataions. 2. Unless a stuation is at critical mass, he will always pick the vet over the rookie. As it should be there grass hopper.

I was just watching the Panther game again and there's a great play that illustrates why this is the case.

Before the play starts, it looks like Schaub and Walter are having to help Jacoby get in the right position. Schaub goes back, 5 step drop. He's just about to release the ball and he doubleclutches, looks a bit confused for a split second, and then he throws the ball. Jacoby is flailing around trying to get to the ball but it falls incomplete.

I would almost be willing to bet that Jacoby was running the wrong route on that play. We're lucky that Schaub didn't throw to the spot that JJ was supposed to be at and get it picked off.

And that's why JJ's not WR2, yet. And that's why KW will be WR1 with AJ out. Guys have to be in the right places and Schaub has to be confident that they're going to be where they're supposed to be.

TooManyWeapons
09-19-2007, 08:04 AM
But... I'm going to say this and you're going to laugh but...

We have no idea how good our offense is this year. It hasn't played more that 2.5 quarters, yet. Seriously. Our QB has only thrown 5 passes in the 4th quarter this year. (And he's completed all 5 of them.)
Our best running back only has 4 attempts in the 4th quarter so far because we've stuck in our 2nd string back to save the wear and tear on Ahman. In the second quarter, when it counts, Ahman is 12 attempts for 70 yards and a 5.8 yp and 5 first downs.

The Colts game should be the first game to really see what we have. We might not win it. The Colts are a great team. We're both better teams than we were last year. Don't expect a cakewalk.

I certainly DO NOT expect a cakewalk!

In my mind the Texans of Olde are a thing of the past.

There is a reason I registered here but not on any Saints or Titans forums the last three weeks. I know this game will be the biggest challenge the Colts have faced so far - and probably will face for a few weeks after.

The thing is that I think a lot of Colts fans (at least, Colts fans that didn't become Colts fans sometime during the last 5 months) can really appreciate the maligned-underdog-becomes-a-winner thing you guys are going through right now. Your team, even with Carr under center, have always conducted themselves with some class when we've played them before. You never saw those late hits or personal fouls that a lot of other lesser teams (*cough* jaguars *cough*) would pull out of frustration when playing the Colts, so any animosity is replaced with some genuine enthusiasm to see you guys turn it around.

Besides, Texans fans usually behave themselves when they come here. That's nice.

TooManyWeapons
09-19-2007, 08:21 AM
I don't, either. They're a finesse defense. They were intimidated by Vince Young last Sunday. Once, Young lowered his shoulder into a Colt safety just to say, "I know you're afraid of me." On paper, there's no way Tennessee should be able to beat the Colts. But, the Titans were a dropped pass from a game winning FG attempt. And that's because they out hit the Colts in the 2nd half.

To be fair:

1.) Young lowering his shoulder into one of our safeties might have been to convey the message you said, but it just as likely could have been to say "Do you have any cookies? Me like cookies!"

2.) The Titans didn't lose by a meager 2 points because they out-hit our defense in the 2nd half. If that were true, they could have converted on the last play for a 1st down and gotten the chance for their miracle game-winning field goal.

No - they only lost by 2 because Vinatieri had an extra point blocked and muffed a 36-yard FG wide left, Dallas Clark dropped two important passes, and there was a blatant illegal contact not called on Reggie that otherwise could have resulted in 6.

Make no mistake - the Colts offense is the reason that game was so close. I don't mean to disrespect any Titans fans (they've got it bad enough already) but it was an off day for the Colts O and that is a fact.

HJam72
09-19-2007, 08:40 AM
To be fair:

1.) Young lowering his shoulder into one of our safeties might have been to convey the message you said, but it just as likely could have been to say "Do you have any cookies? Me like cookies!"

2.) The Titans didn't lose by a meager 2 points because they out-hit our defense in the 2nd half. If that were true, they could have converted on the last play for a 1st down and gotten the chance for their miracle game-winning field goal.

No - they only lost by 2 because Vinatieri had an extra point blocked and muffed a 36-yard FG wide left, Dallas Clark dropped two important passes, and there was a blatant illegal contact not called on Reggie that otherwise could have resulted in 6.

Make no mistake - the Colts offense is the reason that game was so close. I don't mean to disrespect any Titans fans (they've got it bad enough already) but it was an off day for the Colts O and that is a fact.

Hahaha. Yeah, I can believe that.

The Pencil Neck
09-19-2007, 09:33 AM
The thing is that I think a lot of Colts fans (at least, Colts fans that didn't become Colts fans sometime during the last 5 months) can really appreciate the maligned-underdog-becomes-a-winner thing you guys are going through right now. Your team, even with Carr under center, have always conducted themselves with some class when we've played them before. You never saw those late hits or personal fouls that a lot of other lesser teams (*cough* jaguars *cough*) would pull out of frustration when playing the Colts, so any animosity is replaced with some genuine enthusiasm to see you guys turn it around.

Besides, Texans fans usually behave themselves when they come here. That's nice.

Yeah, that's the problem with fairweather fans. They don't remember the long, lean years.

Have you heard, yet, if Morris and Keaiouaeio...uh... whatever... are playing this game?

TooManyWeapons
09-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Have you heard, yet, if Morris and Keaiouaeio...uh... whatever... are playing this game?

No word on either has been released.

Keiaho was listed as questionable against the Titans and it was a last-minute decision to play Hagler instead, so I'm thinking he will play this Sunday.

DocBar
09-19-2007, 10:14 AM
I was just watching the Panther game again and there's a great play that illustrates why this is the case.

Before the play starts, it looks like Schaub and Walter are having to help Jacoby get in the right position. Schaub goes back, 5 step drop. He's just about to release the ball and he doubleclutches, looks a bit confused for a split second, and then he throws the ball. Jacoby is flailing around trying to get to the ball but it falls incomplete.

I would almost be willing to bet that Jacoby was running the wrong route on that play. We're lucky that Schaub didn't throw to the spot that JJ was supposed to be at and get it picked off.

And that's why JJ's not WR2, yet. And that's why KW will be WR1 with AJ out. Guys have to be in the right places and Schaub has to be confident that they're going to be where they're supposed to be. EXCELLENT point. I remember that play. I must spread the rep....

Lucky
09-19-2007, 12:50 PM
I'm sure the Chiefs and Panthers are saying the same thing. It's an off day by the offense. It's not like the opposition's defense had anything to do with it.

Did Peyton just make a mistake with that interception, or was he forced to get rid of the ball early to avoid a safety? Did Vinatieri just have a bad kick, or did he rush because the Titans were getting penetration? The Colts could of put the game away with a 1st down around the 2 minute mark. But Manning called 3 pass plays without a single rush to eat the clock. Did he want to shoulder the burden, or did he just not trust his line could get a push up front?

The fact is, the Colts offense has had an "off day" for about 6 consecutive AFC South contests. Averaging a very un-Indy like 19 ppg. At some point you have to ask, "Maybe these guys are onto something?" I think that something is being very physical with the Colts offense.

TooManyWeapons
09-19-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm sure the Chiefs and Panthers are saying the same thing. It's an off day by the offense. It's not like the opposition's defense had anything to do with it.

Did Peyton just make a mistake with that interception, or was he forced to get rid of the ball early to avoid a safety? Did Vinatieri just have a bad kick, or did he rush because the Titans were getting penetration? The Colts could of put the game away with a 1st down around the 2 minute mark. But Manning called 3 pass plays without a single rush to eat the clock. Did he want to shoulder the burden, or did he just not trust his line could get a push up front?

The fact is, the Colts offense has had an "off day" for about 6 consecutive AFC South contests. Averaging a very un-Indy like 19 ppg. At some point you have to ask, "Maybe these guys are onto something?" I think that something is being very physical with the Colts offense.

The Titans played well, sure. Their D line was giving our O line problems throughout the whole game, but during that play that resulted in an interception, a Titans defender collided with Reggie about 10 yards out during his route and he very visibly pulled up expecting a penalty call that never came. That didn't have anything to do with Peyton having to release the ball too quickly.

He (Peyton) has a ridiculously fast release anyway - he doesn't need much time. If our offensive line was as easy to pressure as you seem to suggest, I think the recent history of our team would be very different.

thunderkyss
09-19-2007, 01:23 PM

You know... I thought you really wanted to come here & talk some football, and was really feeling sorry about all the folks who have attacked you & the things you've said.... myself included.

But if you been dropping this canned crap on us as "real football talk" then I've got to say you deserve what you've been getting.

I don't know where you got this from, but it looks like some garbage a team would publish to ease any feelings a fan base may have about loosing key members of their team.

I'm insulted. I'm insulted that you have the gaul(sp) to think we may believe you replaced a guy like Cato June with a guy who is better than Cato June. Not only is he better, but he is sooooo much better, that it is apparent after two games.

Someone on this board is definitely delusional, and that somebody won't be wearing Deep Steel Blue come Sunday.

Much improved...

Didn't look much improved when Duece McCallister was running up the middle in week one. The only reason he didn't run for 150 yards was because they were playing catch up early in the game.

Didn't look much improved last week either, When Lendale (Pass the Donut) White was having the best game of his career.

Hardcore Texan
09-19-2007, 01:38 PM
So, any news on AJ and if will play, probably still day to day, just thought I would see if anyone has heard anything new.

TooManyWeapons
09-19-2007, 01:46 PM
You know... I thought you really wanted to come here & talk some football, and was really feeling sorry about all the folks who have attacked you & the things you've said.... myself included.

But if you been dropping this canned crap on us as "real football talk" then I've got to say you deserve what you've been getting.

I don't know where you got this from, but it looks like some garbage a team would publish to ease any feelings a fan base may have about loosing key members of their team.

I'm insulted. I'm insulted that you have the gaul(sp) to think we may believe you replaced a guy like Cato June with a guy who is better than Cato June. Not only is he better, but he is sooooo much better, that it is apparent after two games.

Someone on this board is definitely delusional, and that somebody won't be wearing Deep Steel Blue come Sunday.

Much improved...

Didn't look much improved when Duece McCallister was running up the middle in week one. The only reason he didn't run for 150 yards was because they were playing catch up early in the game.

Didn't look much improved last week either, When Lendale (Pass the Donut) White was having the best game of his career.

No one is 100% immune to kool aid, my friend. Not me, and certainly not you either.

You did not sit and watch the Colts play absolutely dismal defense from week one to week 15 last year, game after game. You also did not see a number of these "unproven" starters perform very well when called upon to play in the post season last year. Had they not, our post season would have ended in game 1 against KC and the "smash em in the mouth" LJ. It certainly wouldn't have held up against Baltimore, or NE, or the dual rushing attack of the Bears in the SB.

The difference between then (reg. season D) and now is obvious enough for a grade-schooler to identify.

As for your "real football talk" vs. my "canned crap" .... baseless. You've got to do better than that if you want to to alter my perception of you as anything but an irrational Texans homer. Maybe you don't care - neither do I.

For the record:

McCallister totalled fewer than 40 rushing yards in week 1. You are nuts. Make any excuse you want - citing 38 rushing yards against the Colts as evidence that their defense is porous does nothing to bolster your credibility.

Lendale White marched down the field for a grand whopping total of 64 yards last week. Hardly a career game. He beat that by 2 yards the previous week against Jacksonville's vaunted defense.

Come on, dude.

Hervoyel
09-19-2007, 01:46 PM
All I can say about all of this is that I've watched the Colts own the Saints who I am not in the least bit impressed with and beat the Titans by a couple of points. The Titans don't impress me much either.

In the meantime I've seen the Texans beat the very, very ordinary Chiefs and then win an impressive game against the Panthers who I don't know what to think about.

I can't wait for Sunday to see what happens. The Colts are the first undeniably excellent team we play this year. After the Colts game I'll know what I think about the Texans and our progress.

Very often Super Bowl teams (winners and losers both) tend to run into problems the following year. This happens a ton and I know this thought must have crossed some Colts fans minds prior to the season, particularly with the player turnover they've had. I was expecting them to struggle but I haven't seen it happen yet (unless you call a relatively ordinary effort against the Titans struggling, and I don't).

The Colts defense does not impress me much this year, thus far. Their offense is, as always a machine to be admired.

I just keep saying it over and over again. I can't wait for Sunday.

Hervoyel
09-19-2007, 01:48 PM
So, any news on AJ and if will play, probably still day to day, just thought I would see if anyone has heard anything new.

AJ himself said in the Chronicle today that he wasn't going to play Sunday. Taking it day to day and all that stuff. Said he would be the Texans biggest cheerleader on Sunday.

New_Texans
09-19-2007, 01:55 PM
I have a feeling that in order for the Texans to win, Special Teams will have to come up big in the return game. Great Field position for the Texans and horrible position for the Colts, thats what the Texans need.

So, Mr. Turk, Mr. Jones and Mathis. As you country folk say, Get r' done.

Hardcore Texan
09-19-2007, 02:00 PM
deleted.

bigbrewster2000
09-19-2007, 02:14 PM

Here you go, just strenghthening what has already been said.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8027e701&template=without-video&confirm=true

threetoedpete
09-20-2007, 04:17 AM
It' not only no , there is a high pobablity they won't have him during some of the October death march. Looking at the way the knee was twisted he was lucky.

threetoedpete
09-20-2007, 04:32 AM

Well in the Carolina game it didn't hurt very much that their 2's and 3' s WRs got Gafney desease, the dropsys. Oh then there was that C.C. Brown Jail break with Drew Carter that he reached just in the nick of time. It was a great road victory, but kinda of follish to ignore all of the warts. Play management cost you your first down rain maker. Letting the air out of the ball @ the 11:13 mark in the third quarter damn near set up another St. Louis scenario. Defensive line played lights out. O-line played lights out. There was enough stuff on the film to give Kubes ammo for working extremely hard this week. Demmeco should be embarassed on the third Steve Smith break away form the pack TD play. And Demps shouldn't be too far behind him in the corner of the room. Weak play by them both. And now, after giving them very few live targets your expecting JJ, Walter, and Andre Davis to recover that production ? Okey Dokey. You can prety much expect Daneils to be blanketed.

I despise the prevent defense and letting the air out of the ball to protect your weaknesses. And starting it in the third quarter is like telling everyone in the locker room. " Nice lead guys, but we don't trust you. " Not a positive message to send to a young team. Sloppy coaching and tackling at the end of the carolina game. Repeat it and the Colts will blow us out of the water.

JamesC
09-20-2007, 04:50 AM
I have a feeling that in order for the Texans to win, Special Teams will have to come up big in the return game. Great Field position for the Texans and horrible position for the Colts, thats what the Texans need.

So, Mr. Turk, Mr. Jones and Mathis. As you country folk say, Get r' done.

I feel the same way. The Texans are gonna have to try to make plays on special teams. I'm hoping for some big hits that cause fumbles that can lead to good things like the Kevin Walter td. Any tipped passes by the secondary and Dunta and crew are gonna have to jump all over it. I liked what Mario did in week 1 and what Amobi did in week 2, now I hope they can both put it together for week 3 and give the Colts offense all they can handle and more.

thunderkyss
09-20-2007, 08:04 AM
I despise the prevent defense and letting the air out of the ball to protect your weaknesses. And starting it in the third quarter is like telling everyone in the locker room. " Nice lead guys, but we don't trust you. " Not a positive message to send to a young team. Sloppy coaching and tackling at the end of the carolina game. Repeat it and the Colts will blow us out of the water.

funny.

I thought the Colts did the same thing after they put 30 on us last September.

Besides, Ahman is not 100%, and our run game does not look like it's supposed to. What better "practice" can you have than to tell Carolina's front 7 that we're going to run the ball, and then run right at them.

Especially when our game plan this week will most likely be handing the ball to Dayne numerous times.

I understand your point, but if I were Kubiak, I'd feel much better about my punting game than I did prior to last week. And that's a good thing. I'd also have a lot of film on what my run game needs to work on.