PDA

View Full Version : defense names?

RamRod
09-16-2007, 10:22 PM
i know its probably a little early. the way the 2 games have played out i think its time to think of a cool nickname.....any ideas?

The Pencil Neck
09-16-2007, 10:25 PM
The SSSSSssssshhhhhhhhhhh.

Grams
09-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Raging Bulls

Twitch-Houston
09-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Raging Bulls

whoops didn't see your post Grams so I had to edit this one. Well then I'm concurring with you.

markn
09-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Probably a little early to get too hyped, but the D is certainly looking like a force, especially the front 7.

How about "Death Row" for the DL?

Jackofalltrades
09-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Texas Stampede

CLTEXAN_FAN
09-16-2007, 10:32 PM
The Money Bags

J-Russ
09-16-2007, 10:32 PM
The Hou-Stunnas

I know, its lame:lightning:

Hervoyel
09-16-2007, 10:37 PM
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO NAME THE DEFENSE

I repeat,

The defense will aquire a name when the time is right. It will come from "nowhere" and it will fit them perfectly. Nobody will remember who coined the phrase once it's been established and several people will claim to have invented it. All of them will be asshats and none of them will be the person who really invented it.

Ignore this advice at your peril. The football gods are not kind of those who attempt to name a defense prematurely.

Twitch-Houston
09-16-2007, 11:17 PM

I repeat,

The defense will aquire a name when the time is right. It will come from "nowhere" and it will fit them perfectly. Nobody will remember who coined the phrase once it's been established and several people will claim to have invented it. All of them will be asshats and none of them will be the person who really invented it.

Ignore this advice at your peril. The football gods are not kind of those who attempt to name a defense prematurely.

It's posts on messageboards that get the word out though. Not to mention it's just some people having fun after a big win.

gjmac2
09-16-2007, 11:23 PM

I repeat,

Very wise, Sensei.

:aikido:

MEGA SWATT
09-16-2007, 11:24 PM
Defense Department: the following logo, with texans logo in place of the eagle:fans: :d: :d: :d: :d:

http://pnt.gov/membership/dod-large.png

don't forget where you heard it.

any photochoppers to make the logo?

michaelm
09-17-2007, 12:02 AM
It's posts on messageboards that get the word out though.

Yeah, how did the Steel Curtain, and Doomsday Defense ever come about without internet message boards..? :gun:

michaelm
09-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Defense Department: the following logo, with texans logo in place of the eagle:fans: :d: :d: :d: :d:

That name has about as much relevance as naming it The Great Wall of China Defense...

DBCooper
09-17-2007, 12:04 AM
"Young Guns"

TexanSam
09-17-2007, 12:06 AM
Yeah, how did the Steel Curtain, and Doomsday Defense ever come about without internet message boards..? :gun:

Aliens. Duh.

rollinstone18
09-17-2007, 12:06 AM
Texas Stampede

second this one.

Wolf
09-17-2007, 12:31 AM

I repeat,

I agree, so is Gulf Coast Offense still in the running :splits:

utahmark
09-17-2007, 01:50 AM
super mario and the brothers

Shaft75
09-17-2007, 01:52 AM
I don't know about a name for the d. I do know that I liked how the Texans are starting to "shhhhhhhh" the critics!

Mean Machine
09-17-2007, 02:08 AM
I like the Raging Bull Defense.

Going for 5 in a row!!!!

mancunian
09-17-2007, 02:36 AM
Raging Bulls

thats the screen name I use NFLUK, and is also the name of my fantasy team....just thought I'd share that....

and the name will come eventually - and probably will involve bulls either raging or stampeding

Twitch-Houston
09-17-2007, 10:31 AM

Word of mouth which is basically the same thing, message boards and blogs just make it quicker now. McClain must have read this thread cause he started a blog about it and talked about it on 610 this morning so I guess we're not THAT crazy for talking about it.

I still have a "House of Pain" shirt. :texflag:

Kaiser Toro
09-17-2007, 10:34 AM
The Dirty South Defense.

The Bull Rush.

Double Barrel
09-17-2007, 11:16 AM
The Demolition Crew :texflag: :fans:

gtexan02
09-17-2007, 11:19 AM

I love it!

powerfuldragon
09-17-2007, 11:20 AM
i think the name should come from the defense. let them sort it out.

Double Barrel
09-17-2007, 11:21 AM
Names usually come from the media. But screw the writers this time around, the fans should have a voice!! :texflag:

UTColumbus
09-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Raging Bulls! :wild: (best emoticon ever)

DocBar
09-17-2007, 12:21 PM
The Demolition Crew :texflag: :fans: ] I was thinking the WRECKING CREW.

mancunian
09-17-2007, 12:38 PM
] I was thinking the WRECKING CREW.

there's a psychobilly band called the Meteors who have a song called "wreckin crew" ......dont think they'd play it at Reliant though as I think there's a bit of profanity in it.......here's the lyrics:

Well, it's night time in the city, Let's all go out to play.
Their ain't no-one can catch us, Couldn't stop us anyway.
We do just what we wanna do, Get outta the way,
we're the Wrecking Crew.
The city as you know it's gone, We're all that's left alive.
We prowl around the streets in packs, Do what we can to survive.
We're gonna do just what we wanna do,Get outta the way,
we're the Wrecking Crew.
We're the Wrecking Crew,We do what we must do.
You've blown away our lives,
Killed our lovers and our wives.
If you don't like our attitude,Pal, you're out of luck.
We're the Mutant Wrecking Crew,And we don't give a *******
We'll do just what we wanna do, Get outta the way,
we're the Wrecking Crew.
We're the Wrecking Crew, We do what we must do.
You've blown away our lives,
Killed our lovers and our wives.
Why don't you come and join us,If you think you've got the guts.
We'll all go out and have a real good time,
When all the shops are shut. We're gonna do just what we wanna do,
Get outta the way, we're the Wrecking Crew.

UTColumbus
09-17-2007, 12:42 PM
] I was thinking the WRECKING CREW.

It belongs to someone else. Let's not pull a Seattle and get sued.

"'Ifyou'renotfirstyou'relast'isaregisteredtrademark ofRickyBobbyandRickyBobbyInc."

BattleRdMatador
09-17-2007, 01:25 PM
It belongs to someone else. Let's not pull a Seattle and get sued.

"'Ifyou'renotfirstyou'relast'isaregisteredtrademark ofRickyBobbyandRickyBobbyInc."

Yeah, aggies are in court for lawsuits just as much as longhorns are for criminal activity (and not one conviction).

sorry for bringing college football into this...

how bout... the houston texans' defense?

sakebomb
09-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Guys,

You have to wait for Stuart Scott to give it to us.

There will be a BOO-YAH and then the name will magically appear.

HoustonFrog
09-17-2007, 01:33 PM
"The #1 picks that busted at first but are coming around" :cool:

How bout "Stampede" or "Red Bull" and then they could get a sponsorship

whiskeyrbl
09-17-2007, 02:09 PM
How about "The NFLs' best kept secret" j/k If we are going to try to come up with a name, in one of the sit down Q/A's they said it would have to do with being physical. Can't remember if it was Demeco or Mario who said it

YellerLotYeller
09-17-2007, 02:18 PM
Cant force a nickname....it will come.

But here's a theme song for them. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-58-36lSqG4)

RDillon
09-17-2007, 03:37 PM
I was about to mention that we need a rally song. Somethin that will pump the guys up.

A quick history lesson Steelers were dubbed the Steel Curtain. The next year teams ran all over them. I think its a jinx.

HoustonFrog
09-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Cant force a nickname....it will come.

But here's a theme song for them. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-58-36lSqG4)

Yeller, I think Ron Jeremy is wearing Carr's gloves in your avatar.

YellerLotYeller
09-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Yeller, I think Ron Jeremy is wearing Carr's gloves in your avatar.

:ohsnap:

powerfuldragon
09-17-2007, 04:16 PM
i like bull rush, demolition crew, and raging bulls.

bigbrewster2000
09-17-2007, 04:26 PM

So in other words we should go with The raging demolition bull rush crew as our defensive name?:d: :joker:

michaelm
09-17-2007, 06:38 PM
I just call 'em "The Sickness"

rockabilly
09-17-2007, 07:15 PM
I'm sticking with my name for them.

The Minute Men. Protecting our endzone borders.

Grams
09-17-2007, 07:17 PM
I'm sticking with my name for them.

The Minute Men. Protecting our endzone borders.

That is just a bit too close to the patriots. That little guy on their helmets is a Minute Man.

Allstar
09-17-2007, 08:57 PM
I LOVE The Bull Rush

Yankee_In_TX
09-17-2007, 09:06 PM

Not to pee in people's corn flakes, but this is about the 20th time this thread has been made, and the 20th time the same "bull" names have been suggested.

I stand by you can't create a nickname on the message boards. If one is bound to happen, it'll just, well, happen.

$.02

mexican_texan
09-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Chinese water torture.

MissouriTexan
09-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Not to pee in people's corn flakes, but this is about the 20th time this thread has been made, and the 20th time the same "bull" names have been suggested.

I stand by you can't create a nickname on the message boards. If one is bound to happen, it'll just, well, happen.

$.02

Was going to say the same thing, I've seen this thread before. Nobody knows how these nicknames happen, much as nobody knows why the sun sets at night.

It just does.

powerfuldragon
09-17-2007, 09:12 PM
never mind.

Stampede
09-17-2007, 10:23 PM
One of the Texan players was asked about a nickname last year and he said, that amongst themselves, they already had one. It was "The Rock" if I remember correctly. I think that it was in reference to that picture of a mountain that Smith had posted in the clubhouse. I never heard anything more about it.

mancunian
09-18-2007, 02:36 AM
That is just a bit too close to the patriots. That little guy on their helmets is a Minute Man.
I thought he was the Flying Elvis?

TexansLucky13
09-18-2007, 03:13 AM
I like the Doomsday D

Yankee_In_TX
09-18-2007, 09:49 AM
I like the Doomsday D

How can you, he killed Superman!

HuttoKarl
09-18-2007, 09:50 AM
We don't need a nickname for anything. We're the Houston Texans.

Specnatz
09-18-2007, 12:33 PM
How about ...........

I'm Rick James Biatch!

Bubbajwp
09-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Im not a fan of trying to name the defense either.

But I came up the

Terrifying Texans

eriadoc
09-18-2007, 03:17 PM
I agree with all the posts that say you can't just name one.

However, in the spirit of the thread, and because I am giddy this week, I nominate "The Running of the Bulls".

:d:

Double Barrel
09-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Where is this "rule" that says fans can't name teams? :um:

Teams don't do it. The media does. So why do we place them on a pedestal to name our team?

I don't need some talking head who is not a fan of this team coming up with some goofy nic, especially if it's a bozo like Berman.

There's no rule. We have the right as much as anyone to offer suggestions.

JMO!

powerfuldragon
09-18-2007, 03:24 PM
something with rooting tooting in the name.

hobie
09-18-2007, 03:40 PM
IMHO, I think we should wait til at least week 4-5 to see what the identity of the D is..Right now they beat a bad team and an overrated team, lets see what they do vs. the Colts then see how they do vs. Atlanta. As good as some names are, 2 weeks in is too soon and will leave them/us open for laughs if it goes south.
Think of them and have them ready, cuz after the Falcons game, then it will be the time to name them....

texanfreak
09-18-2007, 05:40 PM
I think it should be ''TEXAS TOMBSTONE DEFENCE'' when the time is right that is.It's still to early though.

michaelm
09-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Where is this "rule" that says fans can't name teams? :um:

There's no rule. We have the right as much as anyone to offer suggestions.

JMO!

I always thought "Blue Murder" would be a tough name for our D

Honoring Earl 34
09-18-2007, 11:50 PM
You get the horn defense .

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/07/images/050711_runningbulls.jpg

Stampede
09-19-2007, 12:20 AM
You get the horn defense .

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/07/images/050711_runningbulls.jpg

Oooough wee!....Think I'll just stick with the Preparation H.

Ole Miss Texan
09-19-2007, 12:49 AM
I like "Border Patrol"

Maybe that's a little too non-pc though.

b0ng
09-19-2007, 04:36 AM
Why don't we just call the Defense:

"Mario Williams Chokes People For Money"

Twitch-Houston
09-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Looks like McClain has picked his favorite and is trying to make it stick.

With Matt Schaub at quarterback and their Raging Bulls defense improving every week, the Texans have a plus-four sack differential. They also are plus-four in turnover ratio.

Good read too.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5146976.html

YellerLotYeller
09-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Me and my buddies call the front seven "Death Row" but thats just me.:d:

76Texan
09-19-2007, 04:51 PM
I don't know about the whole D.
But for the D-front, bring on the Bust Brothers, Boom Boom Busting Bulls. :wild:

beerlover
09-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Super Mario's Raging Bulls :logo:

Double Barrel
09-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Looks like McClain has picked his favorite and is trying to make it stick.

With Matt Schaub at quarterback and their Raging Bulls defense improving every week, the Texans have a plus-four sack differential. They also are plus-four in turnover ratio.

Good read too.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5146976.html

Unfortunately, it's also the name of a semi-pro team (http://www.ragingbullsfootball.com/).

I agree that we let us come to us...but I'm skeptical if our local sportswriters have in it them to give our D a cool name.

real
09-19-2007, 05:01 PM
How about: the bruise brothers

HuttoKarl
09-19-2007, 05:02 PM
The Jungle.

Welcome to the jungle, baby.

You're gonna DIE!!!

real
09-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Welcome to the concrete jungle,
got snakes, got bears, got lions, no muzzle...

HawgDawg
09-19-2007, 05:54 PM
How about: the bruise brothers

I like it - but how about the Bruise Crew - it's cool when the whole stadium starts yelling BRUUUUUUUUUUUUZZZ CREWWWWWWWWW - like during the astros announcing Jose Cruuuuuuuuuuuuzzz.

:texflag:

PS - I'm really not for coming up with a name, as I think over time, the defense will create it's own identity, but I certainly don't like the idea of a sportswriter trying to force down a name on everyone. He's referring to it in his articles, and on the radio the other day he said that was the new given name...

Hottoddie
09-19-2007, 10:32 PM

I vote for this one, except the sub caption should read: "We Blow **** UP!". :D

Another thought could be "The Silencers". After all, they sure are silencing a lot of critics.

MEGA SWATT
09-20-2007, 01:03 AM
That name has about as much relevance as naming it The Great Wall of China Defense...

whatever dude^, it is very relevant. Dept. of Defense with texans logo and mwilliams pic on it too. You act like I suggested Mary Kay Cosmetics Company:texflag:

Homeland Defense - Nickname for the New England Patriots defense during their runs to Super Bowl XXXVIII and XXXIX
ie Homeland security--

Texans Pride
09-20-2007, 01:26 AM
I think all of the garbage about not picking a nickname is stupid. . . How do you think the nickname is made....SOMEONE COMES UP WITH IT! It doesn't just get dropped off by a freaking stork and placed on a banner that is then shown on Sports Center!

Get real people. . . Someone, a fan, a media member, a player, your mom, SOMEONE, comes up with the name and then it is circulated out.

And please, save those "nickname rules" that are being thrown around, this is football, not court, and no one is going to get a ticket here for breaking the rules. . . Keep the nicknames coming, if one is good, who knows what could happen!

Of course, if you don't agree with this post, then just pray to the football gods, and maybe they'll bring us a perfect nickname written on a pretty banner! :d: :d:

Texans_Chick
09-20-2007, 01:27 AM

I repeat,

EXACTLY.

John McClain in his blog said he thought the defense needed a name and that he was fond of "Raging Bulls Defense." And then he wrote a column about it.

Though I do want the head of Peyton Manning on a stick, I am not thinking it is terribly wise to name a young defense after week 2 and before week before they play the Colts.

There is recent football gods precedent. Last nick name I recal McClain making up was "Big Nasty" and that didn't work out too well.

Quick, everyone, you must try to appease the football gods by doing your favorite dance, shuffle or jig.

:splits: :specnatz: :sbad::taz::disco: :texans chick:

indiantexan
09-20-2007, 02:09 AM
How about Mario Brothers ....after the Nintendo Game :mario2:

Grams
09-20-2007, 07:44 AM
I can't dance - need lessons.

eric138
09-20-2007, 08:03 AM

I like it, they could be called DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, and the whole stadium could chant

D - O - D... D - O - D...

TEXANRED
09-20-2007, 08:09 AM
How about Blue Collar D?

There is nothing fancy about our scheme or our D coaches. All they do is work hard, grind it out, and make stuff happen any way they can.

stingray
09-20-2007, 08:11 AM
How bout "The Texas Tornados"

eric138
09-20-2007, 08:27 AM
http://www.tes-security.com/TEXANSDOD.jpg

D - O - D

D - O - D

Texans Pride
09-20-2007, 09:23 AM

D - O - D

D - O - D

I'm not 100% sold on the D O D, but the name, and the logo rock! You've got me sold. . . I only hope the football gods will not be mean to us lol

beerlover
09-20-2007, 09:38 AM

I repeat,

no worrys mate we're only "Overreaction Nation" venting a "Sense of Powerlessness" by association :fans:

Battle Red Flash
09-20-2007, 10:07 AM
Hmmm......

Red, White,& Blue People Eaters?
Space Age Aluminum Curtain?
Fearsome Foursome + DeMeco?
Doomsday Squared?
Red Crush?
Monsters of the Bayou-Way?

or are these too close to others?

powerfuldragon
09-20-2007, 10:18 AM
How about Blue Collar D?

no, too proletariat

TexansSB07
09-20-2007, 10:54 AM
HERVOYEL is RIGHT

secondly to all of you PLEASE PLEASE don't use John McLAME's favorite movie as a defensive name, man hates on the Texans more than Cowbabies fans.

GREAT DEFENSES WILL BE NAMED BUT NOT BY FANS

Purple People Eaters; No-Name Defense; Fearsome Foursome; Doomsday, Steel Curtain

Texans Defense # 9 and climbing, let's let the hype-meisters name it...they did rest I mentioned:fans:

hadaad
09-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Stupid but appropriate: The Hall Monitors: SHHHHHH! No running.

Double Barrel
09-20-2007, 12:02 PM
GREAT DEFENSES WILL BE NAMED BUT NOT BY FANS

Wrong.

The 1985 Chicago Bears Defense "The Junkyard Dog Defense"

The l985 Chicago Bears defense, led my Defensive Coordinator Buddy Ryan, was arguably the most dominant defense ever, at least for one season. The name evolved when Dave Duerson and Otis Wilson barked at some rude Dallas Cowboy fans. Loyal Bear fans started to bark like the two Bears had, at each of the Bears' games. The barking sounded like a junkyard dog and the nickname was born. - Source (http://www.ffbookmarks.com/photo_gallery_of_great_teams.htm)

Most defensive nics are named BY THE PLAYERS, not the media. Waiting for The Walrus to steal someone else's name to apply to our team seems like a passive way to go about things. The last thing our defense is right now is passive, and we fans should follow their lead (especially at home games!).

Anyway, don't let an atheist tell you about "football gods". :shades: they don't exist!

real
09-20-2007, 12:04 PM
Stupid but appropriate: The Hall Monitors: SHHHHHH! No running.

I like it.

michaelm
09-21-2007, 12:30 AM
whatever dude^, it is very relevant. Dept. of Defense with texans logo and mwilliams pic on it too. You act like I suggested Mary Kay Cosmetics Company:texflag:

What I was saying is that there's no inherent connection between Houston OR The Texans and the Department of Defense...

CLTEXAN_FAN
09-21-2007, 12:40 AM
Hmmm......

Doomsday Squared?
Red Crush?

This is classic.

Insideop
09-21-2007, 01:27 AM
Hmmm......

Doomsday Squared?
Red Crush?

:laughjump: lol:

These are just too funny!

MEGA SWATT
09-21-2007, 02:07 AM
I think all of the garbage about not picking a nickname is stupid. . . How do you think the nickname is made....SOMEONE COMES UP WITH IT! It doesn't just get dropped off by a freaking stork and placed on a banner that is then shown on Sports Center!

:

Defense Department: the following logo, with texans logo in place of the eagle:fans

I'm not 100% sold on the D O D, but the name, and the logo rock! You've got me sold. . . I only hope the football gods will not be mean to us lol

thanks, great job on the photchopped logo:splits:
I was really perplexed when I was ridiculed for that NOT being relevant :cowboy1: :cowboy1:

Hervoyel
09-21-2007, 10:00 AM
"The Department of Defense" would work for Washington (seat of government and home to the Pentagon) but not for Houston.

I can't believe I read this:

Anyway, don't let an atheist tell you about "football gods". :shades: they don't exist!

The football gods (little"g" there) do in fact exist and my being an atheist is not (despite appearances) a contradiction of that statement. The football gods are real and widely believed in. Do a search in Google for "The football gods" and you will return approximately 2,200,000 hits.

Many believe that the football gods are descended from the Olympians or possibly from some other ancient pantheon of beings. I do not believe that.

I personally believe that the football gods are composed of the ghosts of the "great ones" from footballs past and governed by the incarnation of "Fate". I believe that they roam the land in a well outfitted recreational vehicle that serves as a kind of tailgating "Flying Dutchman". I believe that they tailgate every day of the week (because every day of the week for them is Sunday) and I believe that in the afterlife their injuries are healed, their minds are clear, and they pay attention to everything associated with NFL football.

More than anything I believe that they get pissed off when people violate their rules which fall somewhere between the 10 Commandments and the Miller Beer Man-Laws in seriousness.

Naming a defense that's been kicking butt for two whole games is a violation of the rules. NO, last season does not count. It doesn't count because it was not recognized until after the fact. Consider it our defenses "formative years". Note that nobody ever throws out the 1984 Bears defense in a conversation.

Don't worry DB, John McClain can't get away with violating the football gods rules either and yes, FANS can name the defense as can sports writers and players. There are no rules regarding where the name comes from, only that it not be applied prematurely. John McClain won't "cherry pick" the name he likes and then make it stick. He's no more capable of naming them too soon than you and I are. The football gods will not permit it.

FirstTexansFan
09-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Quick, everyone, you must try to appease the football gods by doing your favorite dance, shuffle or jig.

Ok, I looked silly, but I did it, cause.....I BELIEVE! :mario3:

Hervoyel
09-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Ok, I don't think "Department of Defense" is really spot-on but if you must tick off the football gods with premature nicknames and logos then lets get the proper colors in there.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/TEXANSDOD.jpg

Double Barrel
09-21-2007, 02:17 PM
The football gods (little"g" there) do in fact exist and my being an atheist is not (despite appearances) a contradiction of that statement. The football gods are real and widely believed in. Do a search in Google for "The football gods" and you will return approximately 2,200,000 hits.

Many believe that the football gods are descended from the Olympians or possibly from some other ancient pantheon of beings. I do not believe that.

I personally believe that the football gods are composed of the ghosts of the "great ones" from footballs past and governed by the incarnation of "Fate". I believe that they roam the land in a well outfitted recreational vehicle that serves as a kind of tailgating "Flying Dutchman". I believe that they tailgate every day of the week (because every day of the week for them is Sunday) and I believe that in the afterlife their injuries are healed, their minds are clear, and they pay attention to everything associated with NFL football.

More than anything I believe that they get pissed off when people violate their rules which fall somewhere between the 10 Commandments and the Miller Beer Man-Laws in seriousness.

Naming a defense that's been kicking butt for two whole games is a violation of the rules. NO, last season does not count. It doesn't count because it was not recognized until after the fact. Consider it our defenses "formative years". Note that nobody ever throws out the 1984 Bears defense in a conversation.

Don't worry DB, John McClain can't get away with violating the football gods rules either and yes, FANS can name the defense as can sports writers and players. There are no rules regarding where the name comes from, only that it not be applied prematurely. John McClain won't "cherry pick" the name he likes and then make it stick. He's no more capable of naming them too soon than you and I are. The football gods will not permit it.

To be honest, I deny the existence of football gods because they've NEVER done anything for this city.

Mike Renfro? 35-3? What did we do to inspire the wrath?! Build a dome on Ancient Native American burial grounds? Offend with baby blue colors? Perhaps it was Bud's rug? Maybe The Walrus is their love child with the ruler of Uranus? They live in denial of us, man! Tennessee gets a Superbowl?!! WTF?!

I can't take being smited without good reason, and they are mute on the subject. Silent. No prayer answered. Pointless.

They say God is dead when people no longer believe. Well, I refuse to let a bunch of high and mighty football gods have a say in things anymore. So, I merely refuse to believe they exist, so they don't. :D

Porky
09-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Ok, I don't think "Department of Defense" is really spot-on but if you must tick off the football gods with premature nicknames and logos then lets get the proper colors in there.

Sweet logo Herv. I like Raging Bulls or Bull Rush best. I also love the logo, but it's more of a visual.

Also, thanks for putting Laz in his place over at the Chron, on the Mcclain column comments.:whip:

Hervoyel
09-21-2007, 02:44 PM
I would have thought it was obvious. The football gods have held the city of Houston in contempt since the day we began playing football on green carpet indoors (at a stadium where you couldn't even setup a BBQ pit in the parking lot no less).

The football gods (along with the baseball gods who they sometimes associate with) "smote" us because we were the logical city to blame for the abomination known as Astroturf.

Notice how the basketball gods took no part in the punishment?

Double Barrel
09-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Perhaps you're on to something, Herv... :hmmm: or is that on something?

The Astros never won a post-season series until they moved out of the 'dome and away from the astroturf. They started winning when real grass was beneath their feet.

But explain the Cowboys then. They've always played on artificial turf, and they've been to more Superbowls than any other team.

We go 3-0, and maybe I'll start giving some credit to these 'football gods'. :shades:

eriadoc
09-21-2007, 03:37 PM
This whole discussion of football gods reminds me of a quote:

""I contend we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours"

-- Stephen Roberts

Just sub "football gods" where you see god(s). :lol:

Hervoyel
09-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Perhaps you're on to something, Herv... :hmmm: or is that on something?

The Astros never won a post-season series until they moved out of the 'dome and away from the astroturf. They started winning when real grass was beneath their feet.

But explain the Cowboys then. They've always played on artificial turf, and they've been to more Superbowls than any other team.

We go 3-0, and maybe I'll start giving some credit to these 'football gods'. :shades:

That ones easy. Teams that followed the introduction of Astroturf were not punished by the football gods. They would have had to punish practically the entire league in order to make that stick and the football gods are not stupid. They know NFL football must continue and stay healthy.

They punished the guys who started it, not the guys who were led astray by them.

MEGA SWATT
09-22-2007, 12:30 AM

great logo!!!!!!!

whomever said this logo does NOT work b/c we're not in Washington DC is kinda dumb. I bet he would have said about the oiler's "House of Pain", THIS IS DUMB, ITS A DOME, NOT A HOUSE :blah: :blah::blah:

dickieb
09-22-2007, 01:08 AM
DOD, DOD, DOD! I like it!

Hervoyel
09-22-2007, 05:27 PM
great logo!!!!!!!

whomever said this logo does NOT work b/c we're not in Washington DC is kinda dumb. I bet he would have said about the oiler's "House of Pain", THIS IS DUMB, ITS A DOME, NOT A HOUSE :blah: :blah::blah:

The "dumb" guy who said it doesn't work because we aren't Washington D.C. (where the "Department of Defense" is actually located) happens to be me.

I'm also the guy who did that particular version of this logo so take that for what it's worth.

And I happened to like the name "House of Pain" by the way. it worked very well here. Department of Defense isn't that good of a fit. Sorry, I just don't see it.

Texans Pride
09-22-2007, 07:31 PM

Ok, the colors are awesome, but I'm not crazy about the fence. . .Yes, I know, deFENCE!

Herv, thanks for playing along even though you don't like it. . .Question, won't your football gods be upset for you for participating in such an act....I mean, you are contributing!

nfl-brit
09-22-2007, 07:49 PM
http://http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g137/ashleyashna/TEXANSDOD.jpg

Let the movement begin!

:d:

NitroGSXR
09-22-2007, 08:36 PM
The Bullpen Rage?

The Bullpen Rush?

Should have the Bullpen in it. Something along those lines.

Hervoyel
09-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Herv, thanks for playing along even though you don't like it. . .Question, won't your football gods be upset for you for participating in such an act....I mean, you are contributing!

They're kind of like Santa Claus with that whole "knows when you've been bad or good" thing so I understand nothing slips past them. I took a chance there with the football gods but I think they know what's truly in the heart of every fan and won't hold it against me.

If the Texans can hold the Colts down to some otherwise unexplainable number of yards or points then I think (and it's just a guess on my part) that the football gods will have given their nod of approval for the Texans defense to get a name. Where that name comes from is outside of the scope of this post but I think Double Barrel is on the right track about that. It can come from anywhere once the time is right and the fans are almost obligated to put their 2 cents in.

powerfuldragon
09-25-2007, 04:28 PM
i like the defenestrators.

markn
10-09-2007, 01:08 PM
i know its probably a little early. the way the 2 games have played out i think its time to think of a cool nickname.....any ideas?

"Work in Progress"

Cjeremy635
10-09-2007, 01:26 PM
bwaaaaaaahahahahahaaaaaaa!!!!!!

good one markn

yep.....what he said.

badboy
10-09-2007, 01:32 PM
"Pray our LBs and DBs can stop 'em".

Hooston Texan
10-09-2007, 01:56 PM
The Hall-of-Fame-Makers

powerfuldragon
10-09-2007, 01:57 PM
The Hall-of-Fame-Makers
IMO, Andre Johnson will be the first Texan in the HOF...

Maddict5
10-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Concussers

bah007
10-09-2007, 02:59 PM
IMO, Andre Johnson will be the first Texan in the HOF...

Not David Carr?

Surely his career will be over first.

Spike
10-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Not David Carr?

Surely his career will be over first.

LOL. Just spit coffee all over my computer.

Maddict5
10-09-2007, 03:01 PM
'Most sacked qb ever'

they'll have a video message and all like marino->favre when it happens, dave will cry a little but will wipe away his tears with his gloves and, in an emotional speech, say he could have done it without his teammates

Tedc
10-09-2007, 03:02 PM
After this past week, I will call them what I kept screaming when the Dolphins ran all over us....."HOLY CRAP!!!"

We will need to do much better against the Jags.

texanfreak
10-10-2007, 06:11 AM
the collander crew

Texans_Chick
10-10-2007, 08:14 AM
After this past week, I will call them what I kept screaming when the Dolphins ran all over us....."HOLY CRAP!!!"

We will need to do much better against the Jags.

The MB is an inspiration:

"The Vanilla Defense"

You can't name a defense until they consistently perform in a way that is scary to the other team and not your fanbase.

Hervoyel
10-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Travis Johnson seemed to have a Wizard of Oz thing going on the other day. Maybe we should call them the "Flying Monkeys Defense"

http://thewizardofoz.warnerbros.com/img/photo/23_ph.gif

Those look like Texans colors to me.

the wonger need food
10-14-2007, 03:33 PM
The Gutless Wonders

the wonger need food
10-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Maybe the Cowards of Harris County.

What a gutless effort in Jacksonville. Same defense we've seen for the past few years.

markn
10-15-2007, 10:09 AM

Emmental?

Texan_Bill
10-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Leerdammer?!?!?

dickieb
10-15-2007, 11:16 AM
As long as Richard Smith is running it... how about Vanilla Ice!

DBCooper
10-15-2007, 11:26 AM
How about the "Can't stop the screen pass if their lives depended on it" defense.

Sorry, just venting.

HOU-TEX
10-15-2007, 11:28 AM
How about, 'The can't get off the field on 3rd downers' :gun:

Hervoyel
10-15-2007, 12:04 PM
I think we should just call them "Charmin" because they're so soft.

Here are the Texans in their goal line "6-roll-front Charmin formation"

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/charminformation6rollfront.jpg

Errant Hothy
10-15-2007, 12:05 PM
I like "bree" soft and french, as in they lay down for anybody.

markn
10-15-2007, 12:05 PM
"6-roll-front Charmin formation" - heh

real
10-15-2007, 12:06 PM
The no factors

or

The will Jacoby ever return a punt again ?

drewmar74
10-15-2007, 12:16 PM
The Flaccid Force.

Soft, ineffective, and generally impotent with regards to the task at hand.

:whip:

Vinny
10-15-2007, 12:16 PM
since we like to let the offense dictate how they are defended we should name them the co-dependant curtain.

Brando
10-15-2007, 12:18 PM
What defense?

In all fairness, they did get a couple of stops against the Jags but a few bad calls by the official didn't help.

Double Barrel
10-15-2007, 12:19 PM
The Swiss Cheese Defense

oh so many holes! :mad:

markn
10-15-2007, 12:22 PM
The Swiss Cheese Defense

Emmental not popular down your way? :)

Texan_Bill
10-15-2007, 12:22 PM
Emmental?

Leerdammer?!?!?

The Swiss Cheese Defense

LMAO DB!! I think we covered the cheese angle....

Errant Hothy
10-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Simpletons, don't you know Bree is a cheese?

Brando
10-15-2007, 12:32 PM
I call them the Tourette's defense. The defense makes all Texans fans have Tourette's.:user:

Tourette's was once considered a rare and bizarre syndrome, most often associated with the exclamation of obscene words or socially inappropriate and derogatory remarks.

Texan_Bill
10-15-2007, 01:01 PM
I call them the Tourette's defense. The defense makes all Texans fans have Tourette's.:user:

Tourette's was once considered a rare and bizarre syndrome, most often associated with the exclamation of obscene words or socially inappropriate and derogatory remarks.

mother ****er, this **** ****ing sucks. These guys cant stop ****ing molasses in ****ing winter time. All these ****ers (with the exception of Ryans, Okoye and Robinson) should be ****ing cut, right ****ing now.. God D*** s** of a b****s

powerfuldragon
10-15-2007, 01:12 PM
I think we should just call them "Charmin" because they're so soft.

Here are the Texans in their goal line "6-roll-front Charmin formation"

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Hervoyel/charminformation6rollfront.jpg

how about 2-ply?

santo
10-15-2007, 01:18 PM
how about 2-ply?

No, that won't work. 2-ply is still stronger.

Hervoyel
10-15-2007, 01:32 PM
On other teams the fans are referred to as "The 12th man" but here in Houston we're "The 2-ply"

drewmar74
10-15-2007, 01:35 PM
mother ****er, this **** ****ing sucks. These guys cant stop ****ing molasses in ****ing winter time. All these ****ers (with the exception of Ryans, Okoye and Robinson) should be ****ing cut, right ****ing now.. God D*** s** of a b****s

Dude, do you have audio equipment in my house? No, really, because you just quoted me from that 51 minute drive that Jacksonville put together yesterday.....

Texan_Bill
10-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Dude, do you have audio equipment in my house? No, really, because you just quoted me from that 51 minute drive that Jacksonville put together yesterday.....

LMAO!!! I directly quoted myself....

real
10-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Pro-bowl alley...

Where you're gauranteed to bowl your way to a pro-bowl performance.

HoustonFrog
10-15-2007, 01:49 PM
How about the "Flat Tires"......no pressure.

real
10-15-2007, 01:51 PM
bad boys gone conservative

real
10-15-2007, 01:54 PM
the dissapoinments

gtexan02
10-15-2007, 01:56 PM
The millionaires

Double Barrel
10-15-2007, 01:58 PM
How about the National Generals, in reference to the Harlem Globetrotters' opponents that always make them look good.

HJam72
10-15-2007, 02:46 PM
The Bend and Breakers (the suffix "over" comes to mind as well).

Texan_Bill
10-15-2007, 02:52 PM
The 'Pascifists'

-or-

The French 11

DiehardChris
10-15-2007, 02:59 PM
"Raging Bull****"

Brando
10-15-2007, 03:20 PM

lol:pirate:

We have to laugh to keep from crying......

powerfuldragon
10-15-2007, 03:21 PM
National Generals

seconded.

Brando
10-15-2007, 03:29 PM
Fort Knot
The Bad Boys
The Sinisters of Defense
The French Disconnection

Ole Miss Texan
10-15-2007, 03:35 PM
'Steal Blue We Overpursue'

real
10-15-2007, 03:38 PM
"pre-season hype"

HOU-TEX
10-15-2007, 03:47 PM
"Tha Richard Smith Experiment" :dangit:

Porky
10-15-2007, 04:06 PM
The Stay Puft Marshmallow Men. :shades:

Vinny
10-15-2007, 06:04 PM
the suggested names have taken a turn lately.

Kubiak is on 610am if anyone is interested.

alphajoker
10-15-2007, 06:43 PM

Yeah they have. Does anyone believe in jinxes? Maybe this thread should be deleted. :includeme:

AnthonyE
10-15-2007, 08:50 PM
seconded.

thirded.

awtysst
10-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Swiss Cheese. Our D had way too many holes.

TEXANS84
10-15-2007, 09:24 PM
The cloth curtain

Busa_Bill
10-15-2007, 09:25 PM

Wait, I didn't get a chance yet.........

Since I'm hungry; how about "the lettuce wraps"? :splits:

Hagar
10-15-2007, 10:24 PM
mother ****er, this **** ****ing sucks. These guys cant stop ****ing molasses in ****ing winter time. All these ****ers (with the exception of Ryans, Okoye and Robinson) should be ****ing cut, right ****ing now.. God D*** s** of a b****sIf I could, I'd give rep!

Good to know my motto is still good :)

RDillon
10-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Yeah they have. Does anyone believe in jinxes? Maybe this thread should be deleted. :includeme:

Nothing good is coming of this MOD needs to lock it down.

YellerLotYeller
10-15-2007, 11:02 PM
The "I've seen powder puff teams tackle better defense"

spurstexanstros
10-15-2007, 11:45 PM
The for the love of God please make a stop on third down defense.

markn
08-22-2008, 11:33 PM
Negligible.

eriadoc
08-22-2008, 11:34 PM
The Colander Crew?

Carr Bombed
08-22-2008, 11:36 PM
The Texas border defense.

Vinnie
08-22-2008, 11:38 PM
How about the "We're Awful but we make millions anyway" defense?

markn
08-22-2008, 11:40 PM
Itwouldbenicetohavea defense.

Porky
08-22-2008, 11:42 PM
The sunday school defense

The ham and swiss on rye defense

The run and shoot ourselves in the foot defense

The gang that couldn't tackle straight

The Village People defense

The matador defense

It's a mad mad mad fanbase defense

The help me I've fallen and I can't get up defense

J-Russ
08-23-2008, 12:11 AM
Instead of a ball-hawk defense we have a shoes-hawk defense. (spin-off of catching shoes reference.)

TexansLucky13
08-23-2008, 12:13 AM
South Houston Institute of Tenderness

:tease:

Honoring Earl 34
08-23-2008, 12:17 AM
The could'nt sack Carr defense .

Vinnie
08-23-2008, 12:47 AM

Winner

DBCooper
08-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Vanilla Ice

Thorn
08-23-2008, 10:31 AM
south houston institute of tenderness

:tease:

lmao!

Chicagotexan1
08-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Texas Toast.

Brando
08-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Wet Paper Bag Defense

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b252/Amberlybutterfly/Texans%20Signatures%20and%20pics/4951_chicken_little-759047.jpg

kcdoubleeagle
08-23-2008, 05:20 PM
The Simple Jacks

Brando
08-23-2008, 07:39 PM

lol I didn't see that earlier. That would be horrible if we couldn't sack the self sacking machine.

Seņor Stan
08-23-2008, 07:48 PM
The Rickroll Defense.

The Pencil Neck
08-23-2008, 10:12 PM
The Rickroll Defense.

The Insanity Defense? No, that could actually be a good name
Pure BS Defense...
Oh No You Di'int Defense...
The Plea Bargainers...
The Sigmund Freud Defense... it can stop you but only if you want to be stopped.

texanfreak
08-24-2008, 06:15 AM
the brothel defence. theres holes every where.

Joe Texan
08-24-2008, 06:50 AM

This is ineligible, Carr sacks himself sometimes and could lead to a judging dissagreement.

HJam72
08-24-2008, 08:34 AM
The Drop Back Defense (or maybe Broke Back)

Seņor Stan
08-24-2008, 08:58 AM
The Meaty Ogres. (say it quickly)

texanfreak
08-24-2008, 04:37 PM
the MOB SQUAD

Goldensilence
08-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Based on the play at times...

Vanilla Sky.

Vanilla defense with plenty of space in the sky.

AnthonyE
08-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Based on the play at times...

Vanilla Sky.

Vanilla defense with plenty of space in the sky.

Hm, I'd say Vanilla Pudding.

barrett
08-24-2008, 06:01 PM
The Sigmund Freud Defense... it can stop you but only if you want to be stopped.

brilliant!