PDA

View Full Version : Re-watch

Andrew6
09-13-2007, 02:42 PM
As I rewatched the KC vs Texans game I couldn't help to notice that our offense made alot of mistakes. They had a few lucky plays but nothing to write home about. Our defense started out slow and finally picked up. How do they go about picking up the pace sooner?

The Pencil Neck
09-13-2007, 02:49 PM
As I rewatched the KC vs Texans game I couldn't help to notice that our offense made alot of mistakes. They had a few lucky plays but nothing to write home about. Our defense started out slow and finally picked up. How do they go about picking up the pace sooner?

What I noticed was our offense made a bunch of mistakes but didn't have a problem recovering from them. Getting a penalty didn't automatically mean we weren't going to get a first down. Except for a couple of 3 and outs, we moved the ball pretty well.

I think part of the problem was just jitters and age. I think it's just a matter of gelling. I expect them to clean up a bunch of those mistakes that they made and I expect them to play much better against Carolina.

Our defense... I think they just needed some confidence.

KC was a good stepping stone to the rest of the season. It was like a tune-up game.

JohnsonFan
09-13-2007, 02:50 PM
we are alwys going to make mistakes but we still kicked arse and thats all that matters we will never be perfect

Porky
09-13-2007, 02:51 PM

Other than a couple of isolated games, the offense looked better than any time in the past 5 years, and you are complaining? Nice. :gun:

gtexan02
09-13-2007, 03:09 PM
Just because the score was 20 to 3 doesn't mean we played a good offensive game.

We had a fumble recovery for a td, thats 7 right there

We also had a 77 yard pass to AJ, thats 7 right there.

Other than those two LUCKY (Yes, I said lucky because neither should be counted on) plays, our offense didn't score a TD.

The 10 minute drive was the only time our offense really looked dominant.

To say we looked better than we had in the last 5 years is pure homer-ism. Remember our 7-9 year? We looked better in many of those games than we did Sunday

YKW's name and legacy has become so crazy that to even suggest that there was room to improve in Schaub's game is akin to saying your a cowboys/tacks fan.

With 4 turnovers, we should have scored way more than 20 points. THere was a LOT of room for improvement, even though we played an AWESOME game.

Criticism does not equal contempt all the time

real
09-13-2007, 03:18 PM
Just because the score was 20 to 3 doesn't mean we played a good offensive game.

Other than those two LUCKY (Yes, I said lucky because neither should be counted on) plays, our offense didn't score a TD.

To say we looked better than we had in the last 5 years is pure homer-ism. Remember our 7-9 year? We looked better in many of those games than we did Sunday

YKW's name and legacy has become so crazy that to even suggest that there was room to improve in Schaub's game is akin to saying your a cowboys/tacks fan.

With 4 turnovers, we should have scored way more than 20 points. THere was a LOT of room for improvement, even though we played an AWESOME game.

LOL....

A pass to AJ should be considered "LUCKY" ????

LMAO...

Exithios
09-13-2007, 03:23 PM

Schaub went 16-22 with a 101.5 passer rating in his first outing as a starting quarterback and a Texan. So for you to suggest we didn't do well is unfounded. The ball was spread around, and he went through his check downs at an unbelieveably fast pace. Had the 77 tard TD not been thrown, what is to say we wouldn't have driven the ball into the end zone that drive? If Mario wouldn't have recovered that fumble and returned it for a TD then whats to say we wouldn't have held the KC offense to a 3 and out and scored on our next drive? We capitalized off of KC's mistakes but that doesn't justify taking anything away from our offense.

I will say that, as stoked as I am about the way our offense played, I will save any praise for our offense as a whole until after the Carolina game. They are a much better rounded off team than KC and it will be more telling.

My $0.02

gtexan02
09-13-2007, 03:24 PM
LOL....

A pass to AJ should be considered "LUCKY" ????

LMAO...

Anytime there is a play for 77 yards in a game, its because someone on the other side did something seriously wrong. The NFL talent level is too close for anyone to ever count on a 80 yard play.

Johnson even said in his postgame interview that the coverage just happened to be absolutely perfect and fall for everything they did in that play. He said it happened just like it was drawn up. That, in my personal opinion, is great luck. Sure, it is obvious that having a great coach call a great play and having a great WR run a great route all helped. But a 70 yard play requires some luck as well

gtexan02
09-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Schaub went 16-22 with a 101.5 passer rating in his first outing as a starting quarterback and a Texan. So for you to suggest we didn't do well is unfounded. The ball was spread around, and he went through his check downs at an unbelieveably fast pace. Had the 77 tard TD not been thrown, what is to say we wouldn't have driven the ball into the end zone that drive? If Mario wouldn't have recovered that fumble and returned it for a TD then whats to say we wouldn't have held the KC offense to a 3 and out and scored on our next drive? We capitalized off of KC's mistakes but that doesn't justify taking anything away from our offense.

I will say that, as stoked as I am about the way our offense played, I will save any praise for our offense as a whole until after the Carolina game. They are a much better rounded off team than KC and it will be more telling.

My $0.02

I never said we didnt play well the whole game, I simply said there was room for improvement despite playing an awesome game.

If you guys are satisfied and are ready to say this is as good as it gets, thats fine. But when I hear AJ, Schaub, and Kubes all saying they were happy to win but ready to get back into practice to work out the mistakes they made, Im more inclined to believe them. I'd like to believe there is still an upside to this team. They played a good game. We won. But there were plenty of times Schaub looked like a new guy on a new team, and plenty of time for him to get more comfortable and take this team to a new level

Lucky
09-13-2007, 03:31 PM

The Texans worked to make that TD to AJ happen. You can see on at least 2 plays the Texans ran previously, that the FS jumped inside to stop the play. First, was on the reverse to Jacoby. Later, on the shovel pass to Green. Each time, the FS broke early to get to the runner.

The Texan coaches upstairs had to see that. In fact, that's why Kubiak scripts plays early, to see how the defense reacts to a play. They knew the FS would vacate that zone on playaction. They earned that TD, nothing lucky about it.

The Texans converted 9 of 14 third downs, an excellent ratio. Sure, they left points on the table They must be more efficient in scoring territory against a good team, like the Panthers or the Colts coming up. The offense wasn't perfect, but it was good enough to win. It's been awile since we have been able to say that.

real
09-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Anytime there is a play for 77 yards in a game, its because someone on the other side did something seriously wrong. The NFL talent level is too close for anyone to ever count on a 80 yard play.

Johnson even said in his postgame interview that the coverage just happened to be absolutely perfect and fall for everything they did in that play. He said it happened just like it was drawn up. That, in my personal opinion, is great luck. Sure, it is obvious that having a great coach call a great play and having a great WR run a great route all helped. But a 70 yard play requires some luck as well

LOL..You guys keep me laughing and I thank you for it....

Why did the defense do something wrong ?

Maybe because the O-line, QB, RB, and WR's did a good job selling the play fake ?

Maybe A.J ran a good route...Maybe the DB wasn't fast enough to keep up with him ?

Maybe Schaub made a good throw ?

Maybe it was a good play call that exploited a weakness or tendency ?????

Please stop the non-sense...

texasguy346
09-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Just to add on to what Lucky said I recall hearing Kubiak say something about that 77 yd TD pass to AJ was sort of drawn up on the field in an effort to exploit that tendency Lucky was describing. So definately far from luck.

I'll agree that we can't always expect a big 70+ yard passing play every game, but we certainly can expect to see big plays, be it a crucial 3rd down conversion or a pass for a TD, from the passing game week in and week out.

Porky
09-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Sure, we could improve. But how many times have we have a 70 yd + scoring strike? How many times have we had a 10 min + dr? We also controlled the ball for 32:50 seconds and our QB was well over 200 yards in passing.

We also looked like a professional offense out there, not some pee wee league team.

I'm not saying the offense was great. Yes, the offense left a considerable amount of points on the table. Yes, the line screwed up a number of times. Yes, the running game was less than great. Having said all of that, what I am saying that it's still one of the best overall efforts we have had given the limp noodle offense we have run for 5 years.

Exithios
09-13-2007, 03:42 PM
I never said we didnt play well the whole game, I simply said there was room for improvement despite playing an awesome game.

If you guys are satisfied and are ready to say this is as good as it gets, thats fine. But when I hear AJ, Schaub, and Kubes all saying they were happy to win but ready to get back into practice to work out the mistakes they made, Im more inclined to believe them. I'd like to believe there is still an upside to this team. They played a good game. We won. But there were plenty of times Schaub looked like a new guy on a new team, and plenty of time for him to get more comfortable and take this team to a new level

I agree with what I have in bold. He made his mistakes and recovered better than anyone could have expected. This wasn't a Peyton Manning offense we saw on Sunday but they far exceeded many of our expectations.

My $0.02

real
09-13-2007, 03:45 PM
The funny thing is that Schaub didn't really exceed my expectations...

He actually fell a little bit short of what I expected.....But nothing major...just minor things that I have no doubt he'll get corrected...

Vinny
09-13-2007, 03:52 PM
The Chiefs killed themselves with some bad play calling and turnovers. They ran the ball well when they ran it (their backs averaged over 4 yards a carry)...but got too cutesypie in their playcalling and Huard had the look of a QB that is trying not to screw up the game (like the Carr led Texans)....I think if they played a bit more smashmouth football the game would have been closer.

The Pencil Neck
09-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Our offense only scored 13 points. They had opportunities to score 14 more.

I'm sure that this week, Kubiak, Sherman, and Schaub are working on ways to fix the things that went wrong. And there is lots of stuff for them to fix.

BUT.

That was still one of the best offensive performances we've had in a long time.

And the combination of those two things gives me a lot of hope for this season and for the seasons to come.

But it was just one game and against a team that's not very good. Let's fix those problems and then play better against a better opponent on the road.

Double Barrel
09-13-2007, 04:12 PM

"Luck" is the ball bouncing into your player's hands after a fumble. Or that Robinson pick when the ball fell into his hands could be considered "lucky".

But a QB connecting to a Pro Bowl WR is preparation and execution, not "luck". Otherwise, Peyton Manning and Marvin Harrison must have the best "luck" in the world!

dalemurphy
09-13-2007, 04:16 PM
The Chiefs killed themselves with some bad play calling and turnovers. They ran the ball well when they ran it (their backs averaged over 4 yards a carry)...but got too cutesypie in their playcalling and Huard had the look of a QB that is trying not to screw up the game (like the Carr led Texans)....I think if they played a bit more smashmouth football the game would have been closer.

True, but we had a pretty good handle on the running game while using generally 7 man fronts. While they ran the ball okay, they weren't effective enough to put us in bad 3rd down situations, nor were they effective enough to open up their passing game.

Hervoyel
09-13-2007, 04:18 PM

14 of our 20 points came on two plays. The fumble recovery I will grant you was something we shouldn't count on every week but the 77 yard touchdown pass was our offense covering the field in one play. Other teams in the NFL do this on a fairly consistent basis and I see no reason why we shouldn't expect the Texans to make "the big play" a regular part of our Sunday experience. Why should our expectations be automatically lower just because we're Texans fans?

For that matter defenses do score. It happens a lot actually and if ours is any good we're going to see it happen here more often than we have in the past.

Why can't you accept that our offense "did" score a touchdown when Matt Schaub (QB, he plays offense) threw the ball to Andre Johnson (WR, also a member of the offense) who then took it to he end zone? Why must you attribute our win to "luck"? Doing that makes you no better than the members of the media around the country who discount our accomplishment and just write it off as the Chiefs having a crappy day.
We beat them. It wasn't luck. We controlled the ball.
If you look at the second Texans drive that ended in an interception you can see that the Texans drove the length of the field and that Matt Schaub, first time Texans starter got excited and tried to force a play. It was to be expected and we left 7 points on the field in that drive. He settled down and got better as the day progressed. On the 10 minute drive we stopped at 4th and 1 and chose to kick a FG to put the game out of reach. There's not a doubt in my mind that we could have had that "1" if we had needed it but Gary Kubiak wisely (hard for me to say because I wanted the 7) decided that a FG would do the same job as a TD in that situation and locked in the win. By my estimation we left another 4 points on the field in that drive.
The Chiefs were the ones who got lucky last Sunday. They narrowly missed a 31-3 beating.

Absolutely there is room for improvement and I thought we saw it happening right before our eyes on Sunday. I feel, like many other posters have stated, that Matt Schaub has not shown us his best football yet. I think that the level of play we've seen from him has been very good but that he'll get better as he gets more comfortable with this offense and in our system. I think we all feel like this guy is very good and only going to get better. This is not a veteran QB but a guy starting his third game (and first for this team). He's playing the position better than we've seen it played in a Texans uniform in a very long time. His confidence is visible and he doesn't come back after being pressured and fall to pieces. It's a refreshing thing to see quality QB play.
Criticism does not equal contempt all the time but by the same token Optimism doesn't always indicate a homer take. There's plenty to be positive about right now.

real
09-13-2007, 04:23 PM

I don't think you can look at one team and say "well if they had done this, things might have been different"..

The Texans didn't play a perfect game either...If they run the ball a few more times and have better play calling does it make a difference if we don't have all those penalties, a pick in the red-zone and a fumble by A.J on a promising drive ?

Point is, what happened happened...We didn't have any unfair advantage that I'm aware of...

We could go back and forth all day about the "what ifs"...

If you hypothetically erase the Chiefs mistakes and bad plays, then shouldn't we hypothetically erase ours ?

Vinny
09-13-2007, 04:29 PM
I don't think you can look at one team and say "well if they had done this, things might have been different"..

The Texans didn't play a perfect game either...If they run the ball a few more times and have better play calling does it make a difference if we don't have all those penalties, a pick in the red-zone and a fumble by A.J on a promising drive ?

Point is, what happened happened...We didn't have any unfair advantage that I'm aware of...

We could go back and forth all day about the "what ifs"...

If you hypothetically erase the Chiefs mistakes and bad plays, then shouldn't we hypothetically erase ours ?my opinion was simple...if they had better playcalling and held on to the ball the game would have been closer. I think some of you guys try too hard to make an argument out of a fairly vanilla statement.

Errant Hothy
09-13-2007, 04:31 PM
my opinion was simple...if they had better playcalling and held on to the ball the game would have been closer. I think some of you guys try too hard to make an argument out of a fairly vanilla statement.

But can't 16 teams say that every Monday?

At some point it moves from your opponent not perfroming well and you winning the gamel to you perfroming so well it is not relevant how your opponent plays. Coaching included, and to put it simply I feel Kubiak outcoached Herm last Sunday.

Vinny
09-13-2007, 04:32 PM
But can't 16 teams say that every Monday?

At some point it moves from your opponent not perfroming well and you winning the gamel to you perfroming so well it is not relevant how your opponent plays. Coaching included, and to put it simply I feel Kubiak outcoached Herm last Sunday.

ok let me change my opinion.

TExans Roxkorz!@!!! yeay teeemz#!!! :wild:

Specnatz
09-13-2007, 04:33 PM
LOL..You guys keep me laughing and I thank you for it....

Why did the defense do something wrong ?

Maybe because the O-line, QB, RB, and WR's did a good job selling the play fake ?

Maybe A.J ran a good route...Maybe the DB wasn't fast enough to keep up with him ?

Maybe Schaub made a good throw ?

Maybe it was a good play call that exploited a weakness or tendency ?????

Please stop the non-sense...

Wouldn't biting on a play fake be called a mistake or doing something wrong?

Errant Hothy
09-13-2007, 04:35 PM
ok let me change my opinion.

TExans Roxkorz!@!!! yeay teeemz#!!! :wild:

No need for that.

The current NFL is so close, most teams will win due to factors like coaching calls, turnovers, and a few big plays. There are few teams that are that much more talented to overcome these factors on a weekly basis.

So every week some fans are going to feel that if a call/play/turnover or two had gone their way that L would be a W.

real
09-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Wouldn't biting on a play fake be called a mistake or doing something wrong?

I don't understand what you're getting at...

I never said the other team didn't do anything wrong...in fact I pretty much said the exact opposite...

But the contributing reason for them making a mistake was because of what the Texans did...Had they done a bad job blocking, or selling the play fake or running the route, or throwing the ball or catching the ball; the play doesn't work...

real
09-13-2007, 04:44 PM
my opinion was simple...if they had better playcalling and held on to the ball the game would have been closer. I think some of you guys try too hard to make an argument out of a fairly vanilla statement.

And my argument was "you are what you are and you did what you did"...

Just like you can say well if the Chiefs had done this the game would have been closer; someone else can say well if the Texans would have done that we'd have won by more...

Not sure if your talking about sustaining drives or fumbling when you say "hold on to the ball", but either way they couldn't accomplish neither one of those things because of how the Texans played...

Lucky
09-13-2007, 04:59 PM
I think I said prior to the game that the Texans were fortunate to play the Chiefs early. Jared Allen was out. The safeties had little experience. Larry Johnson was not in shape. Gonzalez may still be suffering the effects of Bell's palsy. The QB with the most ability was riding the pine.

But, too bad for them. The Texans were ready. No excuses necessary.

Runner
09-13-2007, 05:03 PM
What I noticed was our offense made a bunch of mistakes but didn't have a problem recovering from them.

At least for the most part. Key point.

Texan_Bill
09-13-2007, 05:11 PM
The funny thing is that Schaub didn't really exceed my expectations...

He actually fell a little bit short of what I expected.....But nothing major...just minor things that I have no doubt he'll get corrected...

I actually agree with you here.

I think he learns from that interception in the end zone. (I know there was some debate about throwing it away -or- giving AJ a chance to make a play), but bottom line is that it got picked-off either way... Clean that stuff up a bit, and he will be fine.

dtran04
09-13-2007, 05:37 PM
I guess people complaining after a win is more tolerable than after a loss. :)

threetoedpete
09-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Just to add on to what Lucky said I recall hearing Kubiak say something about that 77 yd TD pass to AJ was sort of drawn up on the field in an effort to exploit that tendency Lucky was describing. So definately far from luck.

I'll agree that we can't always expect a big 70+ yard passing play every game, but we certainly can expect to see big plays, be it a crucial 3rd down conversion or a pass for a TD, from the passing game week in and week out.

I heard him say that also. They drew it up on the sidelines...on the fly. Coaches saw it, player said it was there kubiak called it. And we executed the play. It was a great effort.

Look the only problem I have in over evaluating this game is the after birth that will be spewing over the boards if everthing doesn't go their way this week. The Chefs, (yes I know about the "i") Lost their best WR on a hammie and their best pass rusher was on the shelf . So our DBs were left to defend two brick layers and Gonzo. There are no brick layers in Carolina. Only a NFL elite speed WR.

So, as an attitude builder it was a great game. I'm not expecting a ball to litterly be falling into a players lap when he was late onto the feild in a late substitution switch. There will be no home cooking in Carolina. We'll have to earn it this week. They had eight forced fumbles during the preseason. They recovered only two. The K. C. game they appeared to get it. Turnovers mean our Safties are not on the feild.

Mario was out of position some but he played with such reckless abandon, it didn't matter. This week it will matter. We'll see. They must get trunovers and play flawlessly ...on the road....with a few bad calls going against them. Expansion team can't over come all that. A contender will find a way.

badboy
09-14-2007, 01:00 PM
IMO if a play is run the way it is designed and is successful that is not luck. If the play breaks down and a block is made or a runner forearms someone or jumps over a tackler or is just out of reach that still is not luck. If a lineman jumps into the air and tips a pass or even intercepts it or recovers a fumble and then runs for a TD that is not luck. Can someone please give me an example of a lucky play? Even if a player happens to get knocked out of a play then is able to get back into the play to make a block or a tackle that is still not lick to me. See Travis Johnson running on to the field at last second. That was not luck. He still had to make the play.

Hooston Texan
09-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Let's look at the offense, drive-by-drive:

Drive 1: 3 plays-7 yards. Clearly a "let's get Matt comfy" series.
Drive 2: 9-56 to the KC 24. Schaub intercepted.
Drive 3: 3-9. Undone by a sack.
Drive 4: 6-21 FG (started after fumbled punt).
Drive 5: 1-77 TD. The bomb.
Drive 6: 3-(-13). Sacks and penalties made this an awful 2-minute drill effort.
Drive 7: 3-22 half. After the int, only had a few seconds left; stat-padding.
Second Half:
Drive 8: 7-30 fumble by AJ inside KC 30. Looked promising.
Drive 9: 15-65 FG. This was the great one.
Drive 10: 4-12 ran out the clock. After the second int.

So, in 2 our 10 offensive possessions (#7 and #10), our objective was not to score but to get to the end of the half/game. Throw those two out.

Of the remaining 8, we had 3 three-and-outs. One was the first series when Kubiak was reluctant to remove the training wheels. The other two got undone by sacks.

Of the other five, three ended in scores and two ended in turnovers within FG range. Four of those five started in our territory, so we had to string together multiple first downs or get big plays.

So we were basically feast or famine: either we went 3-and-out or we took it to scoring position. Getting into scoring position on 63% of our drives is quite good. Going 3-and-out on the other 37% is something that needs improvement.

As for the two turnovers, trust me (the UVA alum) when I say that Schaub isn't going to make a habit of putting the ball up for grabs in the red zone. And I choose not to worry about AJ fumbling: if we can't count on him, then we're in a trouble for a whole host of reasons.

Vinny
09-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Let's look at the offense, drive-by-drive:

Drive 1: 3 plays-7 yards. Clearly a "let's get Matt comfy" series.
Drive 2: 9-56 to the KC 24. Schaub intercepted.
Drive 3: 3-9. Undone by a sack.
Drive 4: 6-21 FG (started after fumbled punt).
Drive 5: 1-77 TD. The bomb.
Drive 6: 3-(-13). Sacks and penalties made this an awful 2-minute drill effort.
Drive 7: 3-22 half. After the int, only had a few seconds left; stat-padding.
Second Half:
Drive 8: 7-30 fumble by AJ inside KC 30. Looked promising.
Drive 9: 15-65 FG. This was the great one.
Drive 10: 4-12 ran out the clock. After the second int.

So, in 2 our 10 offensive possessions (#7 and #10), our objective was not to score but to get to the end of the half/game. Throw those two out.

Of the remaining 8, we had 3 three-and-outs. One was the first series when Kubiak was reluctant to remove the training wheels. The other two got undone by sacks.

Of the other five, three ended in scores and two ended in turnovers within FG range. Four of those five started in our territory, so we had to string together multiple first downs or get big plays.

So we were basically feast or famine: either we went 3-and-out or we took it to scoring position. Getting into scoring position on 63% of our drives is quite good. Going 3-and-out on the other 37% is something that needs improvement.

As for the two turnovers, trust me (the UVA alum) when I say that Schaub isn't going to make a habit of putting the ball up for grabs in the red zone. And I choose not to worry about AJ fumbling: if we can't count on him, then we're in a trouble for a whole host of reasons.
The team was 9 of 14 on 3rd downs....In Schaub's first start. I think he only gets better as he gets more familiar with the players and the system here.

Hooston Texan
09-14-2007, 02:14 PM
And, to another point about only scoring 20 points despite getting four turnovers.

From a scoring-opportunity standpoint, we really only got 2 turnovers (the two fumbles):
Dunta's interception gave us the ball with 14 seconds left in the half. We made a half-hearted effort to cash that one in; we were content to go in up 10-0.
TJ's interception gave us the ball with 3 minutes left and all we wanted to do was kill the clock (which we did by getting a first down).

Again, it was not a masterpiece, but it was a good offensive performance. Other than the first training-wheel drive, KC was forced to make a big play (sack or turnover) to stop us.