PDA

View Full Version : Mario "shh'ing crowd"

Twitch-Houston
09-13-2007, 10:18 AM
OK I just have to say this because it kinda bugs me. This season Mario seems to continue to put his finger to his mouth after making a big play as if to say "shh". I know he's doing it because of all the flack he's taken in the media and on message boards, but not all of us Texans fans have been bashing him, and I must say it kinda feels like a slap in the face to those of us who have just sat back and hoped he developed into his "potential". I didn't have a white jersey to wear for the game on Sunday so I bought two. A Ryans one and a Williams one. I had faith he'd step up.

I guess my point is it just feels "wrong" when he's "shh'ing" his home crowd. That something you're supposed to do when you make a big play in a road game. Granted, if him feeling like he needs to shut up his critics is his motivating factor, then by all means keep "shh'ing" us. I'm just saying as a fan of the team, being told by my own team's player to "shh" when he makes a play just feels foreign. Maybe I'm too old fashioned....ha ha

I know it's not a big deal and I'm mainly starting this thread to get a dialog going, but anyone else feel a little uneasy when he "shh's" us?

-Twitch

gwallaia
09-13-2007, 10:19 AM
I've seen a lot of players make this gesture, not just Mario and not just Texan players.

Honoring Earl 34
09-13-2007, 10:22 AM
OK I just have to say this because it kinda bugs me. This season Mario seems to continue to put his finger to his mouth after making a big play as if to say "shh". I know he's doing it because of all the flack he's taken in the media and on message boards, but not all of us Texans fans have been bashing him, and I must say it kinda feels like a slap in the face to those of us who have just sat back and hoped he developed into his "potential". I didn't have a white jersey to wear for the game on Sunday so I bought two. A Ryans one and a Williams one. I had faith he'd step up.

I guess my point is it just feels "wrong" when he's "shh'ing" his home crowd. That something you're supposed to do when you make a big play in a road game. Granted, if him feeling like he needs to shut up his critics is his motivating factor, then by all means keep "shh'ing" us. I'm just saying as a fan of the team, being told by my own team's player to "shh" when he makes a play just feels foreign. Maybe I'm too old fashioned....ha ha

I know it's not a big deal and I'm mainly starting this thread to get a dialog going, but anyone else feel a little uneasy when he "shh's" us?

-Twitch

I guess if he sshhh 's the crowd 25 times it's ok . If he only does it 5 times ... well he needs to stop .

Exithios
09-13-2007, 10:24 AM
If the dude makes plays, disrupts the offense, and scores TD's on defense... He can put his finger anywhere he wants. :includeme:

Double Barrel
09-13-2007, 10:29 AM
Doesn't he do it towards the opponent's bench? I think it's his way of dealing with the negative attention, and if it makes him play like Sunday, then I'm all for it.

Kaiser Toro
09-13-2007, 10:37 AM
If the shoe fits, smell it.

Shhhhhhhh!

badboy
09-13-2007, 10:47 AM
I think it is great. If he is shhhing (is that a word?) the other team, cool; if the fans so what? He took our crap (justified or not) I can handle it. Just hope he gets to do regularly.

real
09-13-2007, 11:01 AM

-Twitch

Mario isn't holding up a sign that says "Twitch-Houston.....Shhhhhh....."

I don't even think Mario is directing it towards me...or even the fans in general...

I think it's more towards those who called him a bust from day 1, and said it was a mistake to pick him....

Mr teX
09-13-2007, 11:01 AM
I actually think it's pretty tight.

It reminds me of that scene in Mr. 3000 where Bernie Mac's sitting at home eating dinner listening to all the ESPN/Fox sports pundits poking fun at his comeback on various cut away shots to the TV. The camera is doing a 360 pan shot around him simultaneously & not once does he look up at the TV.... he just continues to eat & takes it all in as if to use it as motivation.

Maybe mario had a similar experience this offseason/preseason.

Twitch-Houston
09-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Doesn't he do it towards the opponent's bench? I think it's his way of dealing with the negative attention, and if it makes him play like Sunday, then I'm all for it.

Ahhh I hadn't noticed if it was always directed towards the other bench. The person I go to the game with has season tickets and they are behind the visitor's bench. He may well be doing it to the opposing team. Haven't though of it. I was so focused on the fact that he's doing it to his critics I didn't think of the other angle. (insert dunce cap emoticon here)

I apologize for starting this thread. :gun: I'm not thinking too clearly, been a stressful week.

Ok I feel better now. "Shh" away!!!

Second Honeymoon
09-13-2007, 11:02 AM
I have no problem with him doing the 'shhhh' when he makes a play. He has gotten a lot of guff from a lot of us fans, national and local media, and I bet a LOAD from people his is competing against. It at least shows me that he cares what people think of him and that he needs to make plays to validate his selection and/or contract $$.

I hope he can get past that but he can only do that once him making plays becomes the norm and not a rarity. Here is to hoping that he continues to make plays and like a previous poster said 'he can do whatever he wants with his finger.'

TheCD
09-13-2007, 11:03 AM
This is what I always thought. I always thought it was more or less him sort of taunting the defense and saying "shhh...it's ok...I'm here to nail you to the ground. Get used to it".

Texan Asylum
09-13-2007, 11:07 AM

-Twitch

I do get a sense of what you are saying. Although the 'in your face' part of me loves him showing them up, I'm beginning to think that enough's enough. The first or second time was adequate in my opinion. To continue would just be too pompous...in my opinion. His actions on the field will be MORE than enough to 'shhh' the critics.

:texflag:

Twitch-Houston
09-13-2007, 11:07 AM
i think you're looking for something to complain about now that mario is putting up numbers...they should have a number for "amount of o'line pushed through"....yea...his aoopt is off the charts.

so to you i say: sssshhh!!!

kind of a hype if you ask me...

Not complaining at all.

I was watching a highlight a minute ago, saw Mario do it in the highlight and figured I'd say something. That's what I get for posting without thinking. I hadn't taken the angle that he may be doing it to the opposing bench.

Player's usually do it in a road game to opposing teams' fans. That was basically my whole point. It just looked strange at a home game.

Twitch-Houston
09-13-2007, 11:23 AM
so...forgive me if it seemed like you were complaining...because you kind of were.

Yea I re-read the initial post and it does read a little "whiny". Didn't intend it to. Didn't word it properly. Whole point was the "shh'ing" home crowd looked weird thing. Should have said that and left it at that.

Regardless, the thread is active so it sparked conversation at least. Seems that the board doesn't know how to act when the Texans win cause when they lose, the board lights up for sure...ha ha

Oh well, as long has he keeps playing like Sunday, he can direct his "shh'ing" directly at me for all I care.

-Twitch

HuttoKarl
09-13-2007, 11:42 AM
I doubt it's for Texans fans. It's for the people who gave him a bunch of crap last season after he busted his butt on a bad foot all year for his team. It's for those who called him a bust the night before the draft.

Keep on Mario. I hope you give yourself PLENTY of opportunities to hush the critics.

:mario2: :marionaner: :mario:

Cjeremy635
09-13-2007, 12:44 PM
For the sake of playing along with this thread, I'd like to see him do this at home and the "shhhh" on the road:
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l81/cjeremy635/HH-16d-L.jpg

ATX
09-13-2007, 12:47 PM
I like it alot better than the jump shot move :d:

Goldensilence
09-13-2007, 12:52 PM
No offense but i love how finicky some fans are. If he does nothing he has no fire, no drive! If a guys makes play he's showboating and needs to show some class.

If the Shh signs gets more sacks, disruptive pressure on a QB, and a fumble recovery for a TD. Like another poster said he can do whatever he wants with his finger(s).

Noblesse Oblige
09-13-2007, 12:54 PM
I think you're reading too much into it. I think he just wants to use that as his celebration. The way I read it is that he's pulling like an Elmer Fudd, "Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting QBs."

I like it, but I do sort of wish he'd do the Mario dance from that old TV show. Take one step, and then again, come on it's time to go, do the Mario. Swing your arms from side to side...."

DocBar
09-13-2007, 01:28 PM
TD dances, sack dances, I made a tackle dances, I was in the general area of a tackle being made dance... they are all OLD to me and seldom have a place in the game. I'm cool with it if it's a BIG, game-changing play, but it's happening way too much for me. IMO, it's more about "hey look at me" and ESPIN highlights than getting fans worked up or involved. I see players barely finishing plays before they start auditioning for Dance with the Stars.

OzzO
09-13-2007, 01:45 PM
...I think it's more towards those who called him a bust from day 1, and said it was a mistake to pick him....

Ditto, I think it's like a "hey, don't let the rest of the nfl public know that I'm getting to the QB. Let's make it a surprise for them."

Second Honeymoon
09-13-2007, 01:50 PM
For the sake of playing along with this thread, I'd like to see him do this at home and the "shhhh" on the road:
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l81/cjeremy635/HH-16d-L.jpg

i cant agree more

Texan Asylum
09-13-2007, 02:08 PM
I am in no way complaining about Mario, or his level of play in the past, but just for the sake of conversation...and I most assuredly will get flamed for THIS, but till Mario is consistent with the level of play--like he did last week--then his celebration antics could perhaps be viewed like Carr's when he did something right.

Get what I mean?

real
09-13-2007, 02:11 PM
Well in that case, Jacoby's flip into the endzone was blasphemy.

Cjeremy635
09-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Here's a simple dance he can do and it even gives him the step moves. If he can see this today, he will have it down pact by Sunday......spread the word!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUMvXsq3CsM&mode=related&search=

powerfuldragon
09-13-2007, 02:18 PM
Here's a simple dance he can do and it even gives him the step moves. If he can see this today, he will have it down pact by Sunday......spread the word!

i don't like that dance.

Texan Asylum
09-13-2007, 02:19 PM

My posts are of my opinion...In my opinion...Jones has surpassed his expectations. IMO, that would be a totally different story...IMO.

Mr teX
I am in no way complaining about Mario, or his level of play in the past, but just for the sake of conversation...and I most assuredly will get flamed for THIS, but till Mario is consistent with the level of play--like he did last week--then his celebration antics could perhaps be viewed like Carr's when he did something right.

Get what I mean?

I can understand that, but it really doesn't bother me that much. I figure the only way something as miniscule as that can become bothersome to me is if he's getting lots of sacks & he does it every single time. Then i'll have to start a thread " New mario sack celebration ideas..."

Specnatz

That is extremely disturbing.

:specnatz:

HoustonFrog
09-13-2007, 02:21 PM
I want to see him throat slash, grab his package and then then do 3 hip thrusts. :whistle:

gg no re
09-13-2007, 02:33 PM
If the dude makes plays, disrupts the offense, and scores TD's on defense... He can put his finger anywhere he wants.
shhh.......

eric138
09-13-2007, 02:33 PM
I was thinking the shhh'ing he was doing was more like a sneaky shh..

like when you sneak up on someone and you tell the other people watching to keep it shut.. thats what i thought and thought it was pretty funny.

I hope he shhh's Sunday..

GO TEXANS

Mr teX
09-13-2007, 02:35 PM
I want to see him throat slash, grab his package and then then do 3 hip thrusts. :whistle:

Some on here would blow a gasket

HoustonFrog
09-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Some on here would blow a gasket

Ahhh, the fun of it.

Noblesse Oblige
09-13-2007, 02:47 PM

How 'bout this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3aA1Hy17A8

Twitch-Houston

I thought his Deion Sanders imitation was awesome. I hated when Deion showboated, yet I loved it when Jacoby did it.

Jacoby also does his celebrations after huge plays. He doesn't celebrate when he makes a catch for a first down.

-Twitch

Txn_in_FL
So would that be "shh", "shoosh" or "shush".

Personally, I'm a fan of the "over head double-bird, directly into the crotchchop" combo.

But that's just me.

:pirate:

For crying out loud, cut the guy some slack. Can he do ANYTHING without getting ragged on about it?

Noblesse Oblige
09-13-2007, 02:49 PM
So would that be "shh", "shoosh" or "shush".

Personally, I'm a fan of the "over head double-bird, directly into the crotchchop" combo.

But that's just me.

:pirate:

For crying out loud, cut the guy some slack. Can he do ANYTHING without getting ragged on about it?

He needs to start saying "Shush!" a la Paulie Shore in Encino Man.

real
09-13-2007, 02:49 PM
I've never seen Mario celbrate after a regular ol' tackle.

disaacks3
09-13-2007, 02:50 PM
TD dances, sack dances, I made a tackle dances, I was in the general area of a tackle being made dance... they are all OLD to me and seldom have a place in the game. I'm cool with it if it's a BIG, game-changing play, but it's happening way too much for me. IMO, it's more about "hey look at me" and ESPIN highlights than getting fans worked up or involved. I see players barely finishing plays before they start auditioning for Dance with the Stars. I'm with your general feelings here.
IMHO - There's way too much celebrating after a 'generic' tackle/run/catch, etc. Demeco even had one of those last game; he was chest thumping after making a tackle..right after the guy made a first down! I absolutely LOVE what 'Meco' brings to the game, but that was overboard for me. If Mario thinks that last week is gonna silence all the critics, he's kidding himself.

If it starts becoming a habit (the good performances) - then all these RB/VY comparisons will vanish in a flash...and there won't be any reason to "shush" anyone!

Mr teX
09-13-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm with your general feelings here.
IMHO - There's way too much celebrating after a 'generic' tackle/run/catch, etc. Demeco even had one of those last game; he was chest thumping after making a tackle..right after the guy made a first down! I absolutely LOVE what 'Meco' brings to the game, but that was overboard for me. If Mario thinks that last week is gonna silence all the critics, he's kidding himself.

If it starts becoming a habit (the good performances) - then all these RB/VY comparisons will vanish in a flash...and there won't be any reason to "shush" anyone!

Not if those other guys improve with him as well. I can easily see the comparisons going on for another 2 years especially if 1 of them improves significantly over the others.

Texan Asylum
09-13-2007, 02:55 PM
If Mario thinks that last week is gonna silence all the critics, he's kidding himself.

My points exactly. :)

Rep your way...

edit: You have given too much rep...

I'll get you when I can!

JohnsonFan
09-13-2007, 03:53 PM
mario keep it up my man

Twitch-Houston
09-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Whoever asked the question of why he does the "shh in his live interview just now.....thank you. Unfortunately, I only heard the part where he said he couldn't give that information right now. I'm at work and got a call. What did he say after that?

We can put the question (and this thread) to rest.

-Twitch

HJam72
09-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Well, I think Mario should just do this:

Titans game in Houston. Vince Young Jerseys everywhere. Mario sacks Young for a 10 yard loss, jumps up, and slowly spins around as he shoots the finder into the stands. :d:

Exithios
09-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Whoever asked the question of why he does the "shh in his live interview just now.....thank you. Unfortunately, I only heard the part where he said he couldn't give that information right now. I'm at work and got a call. What did he say after that?

We can put the question (and this thread) to rest.

-Twitch

"I can't give that information right now. No seriously it was just a thing, now that I have a couple of sacks under my belt I will probably try to change it up a little bit."

Something along those lines.

powerfuldragon
09-13-2007, 06:38 PM
mario keep it up my man
you look like you could use a fig newton.

Lucky
09-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Demeco even had one of those last game; he was chest thumping after making a tackle..right after the guy made a first down! I absolutely LOVE what 'Meco' brings to the game, but that was overboard for me. If Mario thinks that last week is gonna silence all the critics, he's kidding himself.
Well, that was a heck of a hit that DeMeco laid on Bowe. That can pump up a defense. You complain about the chest thumping. If he doesn't, another guy complains about not playing with emotion. It's a no-win argument. I'm OK with spontaneous outburst. I'm also OK with a guy who walks back to the huddle without fanfare. Just make plays.

I don't know what Mario thinks about the critics. But, I do think that Mario should just forget them. He will never change everyone's opinion, so why try? Play your game to the best of your ability. I think he's trying to do just that.

atxlaurie
09-13-2007, 07:10 PM
I agree with Hutto Carl...it was for the haters! Yea to Mario. I thought it was sweet when he shushed 'em.

powerfuldragon
09-13-2007, 07:11 PM
the original post forces me to dust off this one:

http://www.famesters.com/files/images/waaambulance.thumbnail.jpg

jaybird
09-13-2007, 07:28 PM

-Twitch

Are you kiddin me?? Now people are mad at his post-great play celebration... maybe he should take his helmet off and hold up a sign that says screw Houston... :splits:

come on now... personally I don't think he's shhhing the home crowd... but the other team... I see players do it all the time... not a big deal.... personally as long as he doesn't get a penalty it doesn't matter what he does.

Cjeremy635
09-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Let me set the record straight (and I only speak for me), I have no problem with the guy or guys celebrating in any manner. I could care less what they do as long as they produce on the field....:wild: :fans:

Str8tupg42k1
09-13-2007, 07:54 PM
the original post forces me to dust off this one:

http://www.famesters.com/files/images/waaambulance.thumbnail.jpg

OOHH MAN! I NEEDED THAT.:splits:

Double Barrel
09-13-2007, 07:55 PM
To be fair, Twitch did say he was overreacting, so I'd say cut him some slack.

jaybird
09-13-2007, 08:07 PM
That is extremely disturbing.

:specnatz:

It was ok when they turned the lights out

Wolf
09-13-2007, 09:44 PM
thinking of dance moves after a sack, first thing I thought of was

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUFGvz0bl3o

don't need no pizza, they got food there

amazingandre
09-13-2007, 10:19 PM

-Twitch

well last year when vy and the hoes were in town and three quarters of the stadium cheered for him when he ran 39 yds in o.t. to beat us i think mw can do w/e the hell he wants.....i would have called the fans out last year when they did this.....its a gesture....you dont like it tough cookies......dont watch......go hug vy's nuts some more

Twitch-Houston
09-13-2007, 11:09 PM
well last year when vy and the hoes were in town and three quarters of the stadium cheered for him when he ran 39 yds in o.t. to beat us i think mw can do w/e the hell he wants.....i would have called the fans out last year when they did this.....its a gesture....you dont like it tough cookies......dont watch......go hug vy's nuts some more

Did you even read the my post that you quoted? Not sure where you'd get that I was one of those cheering for Vince. Did you just ignore the part where I was saying I was not one of the Mario bashers? Did you miss the part where I bought one of his jerseys? I wouldn't spend money on the jersey of a player I thought sucked. Out of the 4 jerseys I own, none of them are a Carr jersey thank God. I wanted to cry when Mario made the touchdown and made the sacks. I was almost like a proud parent. I thought, "Now what are his critics going to say?"

I knew after I made this post that it would get taken out of context, but I just kinda posted it on a whim. It all stemmed from how strange it looked to me that a Texan player would put his finger to his lips in the "shh" gesture which is usually reserved for the away crowds. That was my whole point and nothing more. I figured it was for the critics, but still felt odd.
In his interview he said he will be changing it. I guess he made his point and will move on.

Some people are still sensitive to the Mario, Vince, Reggie deal and find any opportunity to bring it up. I for one love a tough D. I watched the Saints/Colts game and didn't see much from Reggie. In fact his dancing around cost him an easy first down on one play I remember and he dropped a pass for another.

They are all second year players that need to catch their groove. Hopefully last week was the start of Mario's groove.

Txn_in_FL
09-14-2007, 12:39 PM
Everyone likes to come up with goofy cheers and nicknames, why not when he does it the fans can do it too and just go "SHHHHHHHHH".

There now everyone can have fun.

Or not.

Mr teX
09-14-2007, 12:53 PM

LOL

Battle Red Flash
09-14-2007, 04:09 PM
OK I just have to say this because it kinda bugs me. This season Mario seems to continue to put his finger to his mouth after making a big play as if to say "shh". I know he's doing it because of all the flack he's taken in the media and on message boards
-Twitch

I'm not sure this is true. I just think Mario is ignorant about when to do that. He's seen other players do it, and he thinks it's cool, but I really think he does not know it's for shushing the road crowds.
A smarter player needs to school him on this.

joedinkle
09-14-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm not sure this is true. I just think Mario is ignorant about when to do that. He's seen other players do it, and he thinks it's cool, but I really think he does not know it's for shushing the road crowds.
A smarter player needs to school him on this.

He's not quieting the fans, he's quieting the media, the haters. Keep em' quiet Mario.

TEXANRED
09-14-2007, 10:40 PM
If the dude makes plays, disrupts the offense, and scores TD's on defense... He can put his finger anywhere he wants. :includeme:

Well there is a blanket statement if I ever read one.

YellerLotYeller
09-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Everyone likes to come up with goofy cheers and nicknames, why not when he does it the fans can do it too and just go "SHHHHHHHHH".

There now everyone can have fun.

Or not.

If that caught on...
people would be getting spit on by drunks all over Reliant, including the chick in front of me.

JohnsonFan
09-14-2007, 11:38 PM
why do ppl always have to be on marios back...just chill guys chill

bigbrewster2000
09-15-2007, 11:02 AM
why do ppl always have to be on marios back...just chill guys chill

Why do you always have to keep posting stuff that makes no sense?