PDA

View Full Version : Player signing news coming ASAP - Texans sign Demps

Errant Hothy
09-11-2007, 11:29 AM
on www.chron.com

McClain is on 610 saying that he will release the information as soon as the story appears at the Chronicle website.

He also said that it is a veteran safety.

TEXANS84
09-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Donovan Darius???

One can only hope.

texanfan2002114
09-11-2007, 11:37 AM
Will Demps is the saftey they signed

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/5125298.html

beerlover
09-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Sept. 11, 2007, 10:35AM
Texans sign Demps to provide safety depth

By MEGAN MANFULL
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

The Texans have agreed to a deal with veteran safety Will Demps, giving them a fourth free safety heading into their game against the Carolina Panthers this week.

Demps, 27, will help fill the void left by Jason Simmons, who tore his left patellar tendon in the season opener.

Demps has played in 73 games over the past five seasons. He had 100 tackles in 16 games for the New York Giants last season. He also had one forced fumble and two interceptions. A number of teams had been trying to acquire him in recent days.

Demps will be playing behind C.C. Brown, Von Hutchins and Michael Boulware, who was acquired just last week.

Demps has worked his way up throughout his whole career. He was a walk-on at San Diego State and became a two-time all-Mountain West first-team selection. He was then passed over in the NFL draft and signed with the Ravens as a free agent. He was so impressive during his first camp, however, that he played in 14 games with 10 starts as a rookie.

In March 2006, Demps reportedly signed a five-year, $12 million contract as a free agent with the Giants. He struggled last season as the starter, however, and eventually lost his job to James Butler. Demps was placed on injured reserve with a dislocated right elbow when the rosters were cut to 53 on September 1. He later reached an injury settlement with the team and is expected to join the Texans on the practice field tomorrow.

TheRealJoker
09-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Eureka!!!

alphajoker
09-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Does anyone know if his elbow is 100 percent?

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
09-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Not exactly thrilled by Demps but that is what is to be expected with the players available.

Errant Hothy
09-11-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm surprised they signed somebody coming off an injury settlement (dislocated elbow...ouch!), espically when there were several safeties available. Hopefully the doctors gave him a clean bill of health.

Porky
09-11-2007, 11:45 AM
He's a pretty good player isn't he? At least average? From what I know, I am shocked he is a street FA at this point. Better than any street FA I thought we could get. I see Demps starting at FS and Boulware at SS before the end of the month. Big upgrades coming at both positions soon! :cowboy1: :whip:

Htownsportsfan
09-11-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm surprised they signed somebody coming off an injury settlement (dislocated elbow...ouch!), espically when there were several safeties available. Hopefully the doctors gave him a clean bill of health.

According to reports 4 teams including the Texans lost safties this weekend and 3 other teams were trying to sign Demps. I hope the elbow is healthy!

ATX
09-11-2007, 11:47 AM
The Texans have agreed to a deal with veteran safety Will Demps, giving them a fourth free safety heading into their game against the Carolina Panthers this week.

Interesting....I didn't know we had 3 Free Safeties already. :pirate:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
09-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Demps is an average player and that is being a bit generous. The good thing is that it is most likely a short term contract for little money.

bigbrewster2000
09-11-2007, 11:49 AM
He's a pretty good player isn't he? At least average? From what I know, I am shocked he is a street FA at this point. Better than any street FA I thought we could get. I see Demps starting at FS and Boulware at SS before the end of the month. Big upgrades coming at both positions soon! :cowboy1: :whip:

I find that to be highly unlikely....unfortunantly. We will probably see CC and Boulware(for reasons unknown to the fans of course)

texanfan2002114
09-11-2007, 11:50 AM
According to reports 4 teams including the Texans lost safties this weekend and 3 other teams were trying to sign Demps. I hope the elbow is healthy!

According to John McClain, not only is his elbow ok but he will be ready to play this weekend. (I think, special teams)

Errant Hothy
09-11-2007, 11:50 AM

I don't know I wouldn't mind a tandem of Hutchins and Boulware.

Porky
09-11-2007, 11:51 AM
I find that to be highly unlikely....unfortunantly. We will probably see CC and Boulware(for reasons unknown to the fans of course)

You don't think Demps is better than CC Brown? Brown has to be the worst starting FS in the nfl. Even if Demps is slightly under avg as a starter, to me that's still a good upgrade. :devilpig:

bigbrewster2000
09-11-2007, 11:53 AM
You don't think Demps is better than CC Brown? Brown has to be the worst starting FS in the nfl. Even if Demps is slightly under avg as a starter, to me that's still a good upgrade. :devilpig:

No, I absolutely agree with you. I think that Von Hutchins is better than CC, but our coaches apparently don't because they keep running his sorry rear end out there. I can't stand CC at the FS position. If he is even on the field it needs to be at SS behind Boulware.

real
09-11-2007, 11:54 AM
I'd rather go with young guys with some upside vs. vets on the decline

real
09-11-2007, 11:56 AM
I think y'all should lighten up on C.C...

The guy isn't a bad football player...No he isn't great or even real good...

But he's not terrible...

He's playing out of position and he has done an o.k job...

texanfan2002114
09-11-2007, 11:56 AM

Who is a vet on decline?? Demps is 27 and Boulware is 25.

bigbrewster2000
09-11-2007, 11:58 AM
I think y'all should lighten up on C.C...

The guy isn't a bad football player...No he isn't great or even real good...

But he's not terrible...

He's playing out of position and he has done an o.k job...

I just don't want him plaing FS, which is what I said. He does not have the ball skills to play deep and like I said would be better at SS....behind Boulware.

real
09-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Who is a vet on decline?? Demps is 27 and Boulware is 25.

Yes, that's why I said: "I'd rather go with young guys instead of vets on decline"

Errant Hothy
09-11-2007, 12:01 PM

Who are the vets on the decline, Demps is the oldest at 27 (followed by Hutchins at 26, Boulware at 25 and CC at 24). Each is young enough to turn it around pretty easily.

Conversly who's the young guy you would want to roll out there? There is only 1 on the pratcue squad, and that's Michell the UDFA from Ohio State. I just don't think he is going to be ready tillthe second half of the season at the soonest, do you?

bah007
09-11-2007, 12:03 PM
Who are the vets on the decline, Demps is the oldest at 27 (followed by Hutchins at 26, Boulware at 25 and CC at 24). Each is young enough to turn it around pretty easily.

Conversly who's the young guy you would want to roll out there? There is only 1 on the pratcue squad, and that's Michell the UDFA from Ohio State. I just don't think he is going to be ready tillthe second half of the season at the soonest, do you?

LOL. There are no vets on decline, cuz we didnt sign one. We signed a young guy.

Some of you guys need some more sleep this morning.

real

Hmmmm....

Yeah, I'm guessing you misunderstood my comment....

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
I think xtru was referring to Demps as the young guy with upside.

Errant Hothy
09-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Hmmmm....

Yeah, I'm guessing you misunderstood my comment....

I quess you were respondin to the Donovan Darius comment then?

Yes, I'm confuzzeled

real
09-11-2007, 12:05 PM
I quess you were respondin to the Donovan Darius comment then?

Yes, I'm confuzzeled

Yeah, my bad...

I should have quoted the comment...

Mr teX
09-11-2007, 12:05 PM
No, I absolutely agree with you. I think that Von Hutchins is better than CC, but our coaches apparently don't because they keep running his sorry rear end out there. I can't stand CC at the FS position. If he is even on the field it needs to be at SS behind Boulware.

Kubes talked about Von Hutchins yesterday saying that he did good, but he's a little under-sized & you don't know how he's going to hold up week after week when your in the box hitting all the time.

I suppose the only way to find that out is to put him in the position & see, but, idk.

texanfan2002114
09-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Yes, that's why I said: "I'd rather go with young guys instead of vets on decline"

I just noticed that you were referring to Darius. You never put it in your post, so you had me confused.

Hervoyel

I think it's a wash either way right now. Young guys with upside that are available at this time will also have some downside to even things out.

At one point our "mantra" was to get rid of all these "vets on the decline" and bring in young guys with upside and fresh legs. We were all about getting younger and faster and we ran all the "football players" out of town because they were too old and had no future with the team. I like that Kubiak and Smith know when to bring in a veteran whether it's for competition or to add leadership.

Bring on those old guys. If they can play, they can stay.

Errant Hothy
Yeah, my bad...

I should have quoted the comment...

Ok, it makes sense know.

Carry on.

bigbrewster2000
09-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Kubes talked about Von Hutchins yesterday saying that he did good, but he's a little under-sized & you don't know how he's going to hold up week after week when your in the box hitting all the time.

I suppose the only way to find that out is to put him in the position & see, but, idk.

That is exactly the reason why he should play FS, because he is too small to play SS. That is my point, and exactly what I said.:cowboy1:

markn
09-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Demps tore his ACL a couple of years ago and has just recovered from a dislocated elbow. Despite that, if he's healthy then he's still an upgrade over what we have. Would still like to see this position given serious consideration in the next draft / FA.

hobie
09-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Well being a Giants fan as well, from NY, so they are my NFC team....

All I can say is that he might be a temporary solution. I was not impressed with his play, nor did I see an upside to his game. He has experience, that is about it. But at this stage of things, he is better than someone with no experience, and this is not the year that I think the Texans should give the inexperienced kids time to play..this is the season a statement is to be made about Houston being ready to make the next step..

All in all, the team is doing what is has to do to fix things before they get too far broken. I like the move, but don't count on him being much of a difference maker, he's not..

real
09-11-2007, 12:13 PM
I think it's a wash either way right now. Young guys with upside that are available at this time will also have some downside to even things out.

At one point out "mantra" was to get rid of all these "vets on the decline" and bring in young guys with upside and fresh legs. We were all about getting younger and faster and we ran all the "football players" out of town because they were too old and had no future with the team. I like that Kubiak and Smith know when to bring in a veteran whether it's for competition or to add leadership.

Bring on those old guys. If they can play, they can stay.

I should have made my comment more clear.

I like the signings of both Boulware(trade) and Demps.

For us, in this particular situation, I like aquiring the safeties we got because we know that they are upgrades over what we have now at the least, but yet at the same time they could be possible soulutions to these positions...

I think in Demps and Boulware we got two young, yet experienced, guys who have played on a high level and know what the NFL is about...yet at the same time there is potential for growth...

I like this scenario vs. getting a vet who may or may not be worse than what we already have, and may not even be here next year...

These guys have a chance to stick...

Mr teX
09-11-2007, 12:21 PM
That is exactly the reason why he should play FS, because he is too small to play SS. That is my point, and exactly what I said.:cowboy1:

Yeah, but truthfully both safety positions have to come down to do that just like both have to cover at some point. The SS is just the guy who you want down in the box more b/c he's the bigger/ harder hitter of the 2.

So i can understand what Kubes is saying to a certain extent, but i'm of the opinion that you give a guy a chance to do something to prove/disprove your stance......... if he continues to make plays.

So far, VH has been doing that & there is/was an opening......

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
09-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Well being a Giants fan as well, from NY, so they are my NFC team....

All I can say is that he might be a temporary solution. I was not impressed with his play, nor did I see an upside to his game. He has experience, that is about it. But at this stage of things, he is better than someone with no experience, and this is not the year that I think the Texans should give the inexperienced kids time to play..this is the season a statement is to be made about Houston being ready to make the next step..

All in all, the team is doing what is has to do to fix things before they get too far broken. I like the move, but don't count on him being much of a difference maker, he's not..

Pretty much how I see it too. Demps is a good backup but a below average starter.

Porky
09-11-2007, 12:43 PM
There's no law that says Demps can't be the starter this yr, see how he does, and if he is what we think he is, we upgrade next yr via FA or the draft. Maybe we draft someone and slowly work him in. I just am of the opinion that having a healthy Demps doesn't embarrass you like a CC Brown does on a regular basis. Brown is a backup SS at best, and is totally out of position at FS.

Texans34Life
09-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Great pickup by Rick Smith. But what was the reason the Giants let him go? Because of his injury?

Brando
09-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/)

The Texans have agreed to a deal with veteran safety Will Demps, giving them a fourth safety heading into their game against the Carolina Panthers this week.

Sorry I over looked the thread down below. Merge or delete this.

Overalls
09-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Great pickup by Rick Smith. But what was the reason the Giants let him go? Because of his injury?

I trust him more than I ever trusted CC. To think him and the guys did this today when I just shook his hand 3 hours ago. Sly dude to be able to pull this off while he is having breakfast with us. We needed safety help and he got us safety help. I don't know much about the player, but he has to be better than not signing somebody.

:fans:

treygar
09-11-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm assuming placing Simmons on IR means we don't have to dump one of our practice squaders to pick up Demps as well right?

Errant Hothy
09-11-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm assuming placing Simmons on IR means we don't have to dump one of our practice squaders to pick up Demps as well right?

I don't think so. It's a straight Simmons for Demps swap...right?

texanfan2002114
09-11-2007, 01:28 PM

Yes. Demps dislocated his elbow during the preseason and the Giants placed him on the IR and then reached a injury settlement with him. Making him a FA.

HoustonFrog
09-11-2007, 01:33 PM
So far Smith's record for finding players left out there that seem to step in and at least contribute and help is pretty good. Considering that the guys we had had the same label as "backups," etc I'm happy to be able to get a guy like this on the market.

MarioWrecksIt
09-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Hopefully this guy can make an impact along with Boulware but who knows. I always thought he was soild in Baltimore and NY so we will see if he can beef up our secondary even more.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014301

Leahmic223
09-11-2007, 02:24 PM
He should help out, happy to see us making some moves. I think I love Rick Smith though...

Nawzer
09-11-2007, 02:26 PM
I had no idea he was a free agent. I always thought he was a good player in Baltimore and I thought he was a Giant. Anyway, glad to see we got him because he could become a good player for us down the road. At the very least he'll bolster our special team.

Vinny
09-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Demps isn't that good in coverage and is soft vs the run...but he is a nice reserve. I donno if he is much better than CC Brown. He can return punts.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
09-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Demps isn't that good in coverage and is soft vs the run...but he is a nice reserve. I donno if he is much better than CC Brown. He can return punts.

People just see the name Will Demps and automatically assume he is good since he started for the Ravens a couple of years.

MarioWrecksIt
09-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Hopefully this guy can make an impact along with Boulware but who knows. I always thought he was soild in Baltimore and NY so we will see if he can beef up our secondary even more.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014301

austintexanite
09-11-2007, 02:53 PM
I like the signing, fills an injury gap and if he can recover is Baltimore form then we got a steal.

TK_Gamer
09-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Just picked this up on xbox live so I thought I would find a link. sounds like a very good addition, might be grooming him for FS spot.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2007-09-11-2459738618_x.htm

Honoring Earl 34
09-11-2007, 03:30 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5125298.html

Errant Hothy
09-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Man, I think I screwed up when naming this thread. At least a mod was nice enought to change it/add to it for me.

I wonder how many more new "Demps" threads we'll get to today?

Vinny
09-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Man, I think I screwed up when naming this thread. At least a mod was nice enought to change it/add to it for me.

I don't know but some of the fans need to take a look at the forum before they start another redundant thread....this has been a mergefest

Khari
09-11-2007, 03:36 PM

i tried at least putting his name in the title.......but i've still merged a lot :bat:

Specnatz
09-11-2007, 03:39 PM
I don't know but some of the fans need to take a look at the forum before they start another redundant thread....this has been a mergefest

i tried at least putting his name in the title.......but i've still merged a lot :bat:

What do you mean? I thought we needed at the very least four threads per topic just so we so who post where.

Khari
09-11-2007, 03:41 PM
I thought we needed at the very least four threads per topic just so we so who post where.

I do not follow this sentence. :wild:

HOU-TEX
09-11-2007, 03:48 PM

Betcha it's still not as bad as having all the YKW threads to deal with.:juggle:

Thankfully, those days are over.....for now.:shades:

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
09-11-2007, 03:49 PM
We've got an actor on the Texans now...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FT3MM5DoL_Q

Errant Hothy
09-11-2007, 03:50 PM
We've got an actor on the Texans now...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FT3MM5DoL_Q

Maybe, but he's no John Walker (and yes I know he isn't on the team anymore).

Specnatz
09-11-2007, 03:54 PM
I do not follow this sentence. :wild:

My typing skills fail me again. it was suppose to say so we can see who post under whos thread. Typing fast so I can get back to work.

barrett
09-11-2007, 04:07 PM
i like the pickup. I think it's similar to the bouldware signing in that it's a guy who has performed well at times that is still young. i think of them both as safe depth additions but also as second chance signings as well. it's a chance for guys that didn't live up to their expectations to start fresh. Sometimes thats all it takes.

Errant Hothy
09-11-2007, 04:11 PM
I still think Boulware has the better chance to be an every down starter for us.

JohnsonFan
09-11-2007, 04:17 PM
here we go another great signing

badboy
09-11-2007, 04:21 PM
I trust him more than I ever trusted CC. To think him and the guys did this today when I just shook his hand 3 hours ago. Sly dude to be able to pull this off while he is having breakfast with us. We needed safety help and he got us safety help. I don't know much about the player, but he has to be better than not signing somebody.

:fans:
Carefully watch the coin in Smith's left hand as with his right hand he signs players that often make a difference.

Spike
09-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Under the circumstances that this deal was made, I like the move. I don't know enough about either Boulware or Demps to determine if these would have been a good pick-ups early in the off-season, but I think we were fortunate to get two young defensive backs with NFL experience at this point in September.

When you lose players to injury in the season, I think the best you can expect to do is to find quality depth for the players on the team stepping-up into starting roles. Both of these guys have started in the NFL and should be talented enough to provide some needed depth. With some luck and perhaps the benefit of a new city, new system, new coaches and new teammates, maybe one of these two guys becomes a player for us.

badboy
09-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Demps isn't that good in coverage and is soft vs the run...but he is a nice reserve. I donno if he is much better than CC Brown. He can return punts.Demps had 100 tackles last season 6.25 avg per game. Isn't that a lot for a safety? Did anyone notice this quote in today Megan Manfull's article "If Hutchins starts, CC Brown will move to his natural position of strong safety, allowing Hutchins to play FS. If Boulware proves he is capable of starting Brown remains at free safety." If Hutchins and Brown start I think I would prefer Hutchins at Free. Thoughts?

badboy
09-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Demps had 100 tackles last season 6.25 avg per game. Isn't that a lot for a safety? Did anyone notice this quote in today Megan Manfull's article "If Hutchins starts, CC Brown will move to his natural position of strong safety, allowing Hutchins to play FS. If Boulware proves he is capable of starting Brown remains at free safety." If Hutchins and Brown start I think I would prefer Hutchins at Free. Thoughts?http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5124485.html

link to Manfull

powerfuldragon
09-11-2007, 04:34 PM
here we go another great signing
so, what's great about it.

TexanSam
09-11-2007, 11:53 PM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5125298.html

The Texans have agreed to a deal with veteran safety Will Demps, giving them a fourth safety heading into their game against the Carolina Panthers this week.

Demps, 27, will help fill the void left by Jason Simmons, who tore his left patellar tendon in the season opener.

Demps has played in 73 games over the past five seasons. He had 100 tackles in 16 games for the New York Giants last season. He also had one forced fumble and two interceptions. A number of teams had been trying to acquire him in recent days.

In March 2006, Demps reportedly signed a five-year, $12 million contract as a free agent with the Giants. He struggled last season as the starter, however, and eventually lost his job to James Butler. Demps was placed on injured reserve with a dislocated right elbow when the rosters were cut to 53 on September 1. He later reached an injury settlement with the team and is expected to join the Texans on the practice field tomorrow.

He sounds like a quality signing. Or at least as quality as you can get from a street free agent. I guess there's probably a reason he hadn't latched on to another team through training camp and the preseason though.

Leahmic223
09-12-2007, 12:01 AM
It's been posted my friend :shades:

TexanSam
09-12-2007, 12:03 AM
It's been posted my friend :shades:

GAH! I looked and didn't see it so I was like "Sweet, I get to do it first". Guess not lol

TexanSam
09-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Sorry Vinny. I didn't see the Demps thread at the bottom of the page. Apparently there's been a bunch of mergers already for it. One more won't hurt

Leahmic223
09-12-2007, 12:05 AM
GAH! I looked and didn't see it so I was like "Sweet, I get to do it first". Guess not lol

Heh lol, it's been posted like 5 times today already. Its cool though, another one never hurts :)

Twitch-Houston
09-12-2007, 09:52 AM
I hope he's not as cheesy on the field as he is on his website....ha ha

http://www.willdemps.com

dalemurphy
09-12-2007, 10:19 AM

Wow, that website is amazing! Do you think he likes to have his picture taken?:gun:

real
09-12-2007, 10:39 AM
So....

Demps is more of a SS ?

HoustonFrog
09-12-2007, 10:43 AM

Wow, the Texans always seem to have guys who like their pics...or hair...or something. That is really uncomfortible.

Yankee_In_TX
09-12-2007, 10:56 AM

WOW. Can we cut him?

Shaft75
09-12-2007, 11:02 AM
WOW. Can we cut him?

Not trying to sound gay here, but...

Wouldn't you rather a guy with his physique to be like that, versus like an Eric Winston?:devilpig:

HoustonFrog
09-12-2007, 11:04 AM

Wouldn't you want a guy with his physique to be like that, versus like an Eric Winston?:devilpig:

Wow, I really don't feel comfortible answering that either..:specnatz:

Errant Hothy
09-12-2007, 11:12 AM

See I knew it would take 2 palyers to replace Carr, 1 at QB (Schaub) and 1 as team pretty boy (Demps). :shades:

powerfuldragon
09-12-2007, 11:28 AM
WOW. Can we cut him?
agreed. someone start a petition, lets get some signatures.

NitroGSXR
09-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Oh. My. Lord.

Now his website portrays him a a ball hawking free safety which is what we need. 46 starts at free safety. Yup, this is a great signing that has tremenous upside.

Now if we can just keep him away from the Montrose area....

Seņor Stan
09-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Oh. My. Lord.

Now his website portrays him a a ball hawking free safety ...

Like in a football way, or a Brady Quinn kind of way?

powerfuldragon
09-12-2007, 11:36 AM
hey, i'll admit it, i lol'd.:specnatz:

HOU-TEX
09-12-2007, 11:37 AM

aka Pat McCrotch :heart:

Errant Hothy
09-12-2007, 11:38 AM

hey, i'll admit it, i lol'd

So did I.

Porky
09-12-2007, 11:53 AM
He may be a pretty boy, but I think he is a clear upgrade over CC once he learns the system. I also liked what he said on his website:

A New, Exciting Start In Houston!

I haven't played football for three weeks, so you might say I'm more than a little excited to get it going in Houston. It's a young, on-the-way-up organization. I enjoyed meeting with Coach Kubiak and the front office. They want to win and they have had just a taste of it, so I hope I can help in that process.

From a health standpoint, I'm ready to go. I have been rehabbing my elbow and I feel good. I've actually been in Houston since Sunday and have met with the coaches and have a good understanding of what they do on defense.

The terminology is a little bit different than what I'm used to, but at the end of the day football is football. Whether you call it Cover 1, or Cover 2 or Cover 3, it's football.

My plan is to play football on Sunday. I don't know how much I'll play or what my role will be, but I plan to be on the field against Carolina. The Panthers are the last team I played against -- I was hurt against Baltimore in the preseason, but played the game before against the Panthers -- so I know what they like to do.

There are no hard feelings toward the Giants. It just didn't work out. As I said before, I just wish Giants fans had seen a healthy Will Demps. Stay with me and you will see some big plays this season.

Thanks for your support!

eriadoc
09-12-2007, 12:49 PM
This could turn out to be our next Marlon McCree - no superstar, but solid enough at the FS spot to let it ride for a while. Once he (and Boulware) learn the defense, it wouldn't surprise me that they become our starting duo back there. If Demps is average, he's better than CC Brown, at least in terms of coverage. So we'll see, but it's a good signing at this point.

gtexan02
09-12-2007, 12:52 PM
I don't get it? How can I guy with 100 tackles, 2 INts, and 7 PDs last year be cut by the Giants?

And how are you soft against the run if you rack up 100 tackles as a fs?

real
09-12-2007, 12:57 PM
He's been in Houston since Sunday ?

That's odd...

Either he was here before Simmons got hurt, or he hopped on a flight the same day...

He must've really wanted to be in Houston if he's just been hanging around hoping to be signed...especially considering all the teams that lost safeties this weekend...

eriadoc
09-12-2007, 01:03 PM
I don't get it? How can I guy with 100 tackles, 2 INts, and 7 PDs last year be cut by the Giants?

And how are you soft against the run if you rack up 100 tackles as a fs?

Well, even Matt Stevens racked up 60 tackles one year, and THAT was the definition of soft!

Porky
09-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Well, even Matt Stevens racked up 60 tackles one year, and THAT was the definition of soft!

IMO, Matt wasn't soft, he was simply slow and not very athletic for the position. But, soft? I thought he was a good hitter.....when he could get close enough to hit someone that is. :gun:

Mr teX
09-12-2007, 01:18 PM

Wouldn't you rather a guy with his physique to be like that, versus like an Eric Winston?:devilpig:

Uhhh, No homo....

real
09-12-2007, 01:28 PM
... if terminology is the only thing standing in the way of this guy starting over c.c. then can't they just tell him what to do while he is on the field? like..."hey, man coverage on this guy or zone it up over there for a while"...

1st he has to prove he's better than C.C

2nd it's not that easy

There are things that may happen before the snap like shifts or motions that may require a call to be made...

A lot of times the FS makes calls for the secondary...

Lucky
09-12-2007, 01:32 PM
IMO, Matt wasn't soft...I thought he was a good hitter.....when he could get close enough to hit someone that is. :gun:
I remember Ricky "Puff" Williams going through Tattoo Man like LenDale White goes through a buffet line. That was the beginning of the end for Matt. He was all of the things you said...and soft.

Brown, Hutchins, Boulware, Demps...Jon Hoke should be able to mix & match these guys well enough to have a decent defensive backfield. I've seen worse.

Mr teX
09-12-2007, 01:34 PM
1st he has to prove he's better than C.C

2nd it's not that easy

There are things that may happen before the snap like shifts or motions that may require a call to be made...

A lot of times the FS makes calls for the secondary...

Please school em' xtru...

I want CC out of there just as bad as everyone else, but the guy was out of work & the giants didn't think enough of him to keep him around so you've got to wonder.

Besides, Boulware came over just before the season started & he didn't start.

real
09-12-2007, 01:50 PM
i know i'm making it sound easier than it really is and i've already said that too.

but if c.c. has been playing fs hasn't he been making the calls? if c.c. is at ss and demps jumps into the fire at fs can't c.c. just make the calls? am i over simplifying that too?

really, i'm just concerned about steve smith this weekend running past c.c. and von hutchins for a deep ball. i'm not so worried about short to midrange passes especially with smith being a smaller reciever he probably won't tread to much ground near demeco and co.

The thing is knowing what the calls mean when they are made...

C.C can make the call, but to Demps it'll sound like a foreign language...

But I share your concers with or DB's in general...Definitely an area that could use an upgrade...

I just think that at this point you gotta bring guys in slowly...Let him atleast get a week under his belt like Boulware...

beerlover
09-12-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm simply amazed, AMAZED, at the job this front office, aka Rick Smith, has done addressing needs with unsigned free agents that fit nicely into the salary cap.

If nothing else Boulware & Demps provide depth if not future starters for the Texans @ SS & FS :)

drewmar74
09-12-2007, 02:41 PM
for your second question-maybe he just jumps up and clings on to the runner mr. peepers style. or maybe he just starts posing at the runner, causing the runner to go, "aaah!" and slow down just enough for a linebacker to tackle him and then demps jumps on top and gets credit for half a tackle.

Dude, you made me spray coffee all over my freakin' keyboard on that one.

If Dandy Demps can come in and contribute - great. If he can hook up with Boulware or CC and make a decent starting tandem - even better. I'm not expecting for much. So said, with our GM's track record with free agents it is hard not to be a little optimistic.

Goldensilence
09-12-2007, 03:38 PM
i know i'm making it sound easier than it really is and i've already said that too.

but if c.c. has been playing fs hasn't he been making the calls? if c.c. is at ss and demps jumps into the fire at fs can't c.c. just make the calls? am i over simplifying that too?

really, i'm just concerned about steve smith this weekend running past c.c. and von hutchins for a deep ball. i'm not so worried about short to midrange passes especially with smith being a smaller reciever he probably won't tread to much ground near demeco and co.

Agreed this is my biggest matchup concern with the Panthers. I hope we forget the one side of the field coverage and keep Dunta locked on Smith all day when possible. I'd like to see Boulware with some playing time this weekend too.I imagine Demps and Boulware will be moved in slower but hopefully we really need to get something figured out by the time we play the Colts. I don' t want us getting blown out of the water and our secondary getting down on itself early in the season.

Seņor Stan
09-12-2007, 04:20 PM
or maybe he just starts posing at the runner, causing the runner to go, "aaah!" and slow down just enough for a linebacker to tackle him and then demps jumps on top and gets credit for half a tackle.

Are you implying that Demps will be laying down Blue Steel, Le Tigre and Magnum on opposing team's players?

TexanAddict
09-12-2007, 04:23 PM
I just hope you lays some Steel Blue on some Panthers

Silver Oak
09-12-2007, 04:32 PM
seems to me, based on what I'm reading here, everyone new to the team should be up to speed by the time we play the tennessee team.

good.

JohnsonFan
09-12-2007, 04:52 PM
so who will be starting?

HOU-TEX
09-12-2007, 04:54 PM
so who will be starting?

Bubba Mcdowell :texflag:

santo
09-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Bubba Mcdowell :texflag:

:yes:

Yankee_In_TX
09-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Now if we can just keep him away from the Montrose area....

Ouuuuuuuuuuuch... LMAO.

kiwitexansfan
09-12-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm simply amazed, AMAZED, at the job this front office, aka Rick Smith, has done addressing needs with unsigned free agents that fit nicely into the salary cap.

If nothing else Boulware & Demps provide depth if not future starters for the Texans @ SS & FS :)

Totally agree with this, I hope they have Smith secured to a long term contract. He is doing a great job.

We are better now at S than before the season started, and that includes having all the injured players out.

PapaL
09-12-2007, 10:10 PM

Low Blow....wait scratch that comment. hahaha

Marcus
09-12-2007, 11:56 PM
It gets funnier.

Bimbo Overload (http://www.nypost.com/seven/08162007/gossip/pagesix/bimbo_overload_pagesix_.htm)

NitroGSXR
09-12-2007, 11:59 PM
It gets funnier.

Bimbo Overload (http://www.nypost.com/seven/08162007/gossip/pagesix/bimbo_overload_pagesix_.htm)
Cant. Stop. Laughing.

Okay, this is now getting weird.

Shaft75
09-13-2007, 01:54 AM
Uhhh, No homo....

I didn't know that anyone would take that as being serious. Hell, half of wht I post on this board are jokes.

Someone must have a complex, or some mental issues deriving from a curiosity of that lifestyle.

Sorry man, I was just joking around. I didn't know that it would hit so close to home with you.

Mr teX
09-13-2007, 09:26 AM
I didn't know that anyone would take that as being serious. Hell, half of wht I post on this board are jokes.

Someone must have a complex, or some mental issues deriving from a curiosity of that lifestyle.

Sorry man, I was just joking around. I didn't know that it would hit so close to home with you.

LOL, are you serious man?

Ehh, i figured it would probably go over lots of peoples head in here, especially if you don't listen to hip hop, but whatever.

Marcus
09-13-2007, 09:49 AM
This is the thread (http://boards.giants.com/forums/thread/429301.aspx) on the NY Giants message board regarding Demps signing with the Texans.

Some of the posts will give you a chuckle.

Twitch-Houston
09-13-2007, 09:52 AM
If Dandy Demps can come in and contribute - great.

ha ha ha perfect nickname.

real
09-13-2007, 10:32 AM
This is the thread (http://boards.giants.com/forums/thread/429301.aspx) on the NY Giants message board regarding Demps signing with the Texans.

Some of the posts will give you a chuckle.

Nice to hear about his blitzing skills...

badboy
09-13-2007, 11:51 AM
He may be a pretty boy, but I think he is a clear upgrade over CC once he learns the system. I also liked what he said on his website:

A New, Exciting Start In Houston!

I haven't played football for three weeks, so you might say I'm more than a little excited to get it going in Houston. It's a young, on-the-way-up organization. I enjoyed meeting with Coach Kubiak and the front office. They want to win and they have had just a taste of it, so I hope I can help in that process.

From a health standpoint, I'm ready to go. I have been rehabbing my elbow and I feel good. I've actually been in Houston since Sunday and have met with the coaches and have a good understanding of what they do on defense.

The terminology is a little bit different than what I'm used to, but at the end of the day football is football. Whether you call it Cover 1, or Cover 2 or Cover 3, it's football.

My plan is to play football on Sunday. I don't know how much I'll play or what my role will be, but I plan to be on the field against Carolina. The Panthers are the last team I played against -- I was hurt against Baltimore in the preseason, but played the game before against the Panthers -- so I know what they like to do.

There are no hard feelings toward the Giants. It just didn't work out. As I said before, I just wish Giants fans had seen a healthy Will Demps. Stay with me and you will see some big plays this season.

Thanks for your support!

Thanks for this info. I don't care about his hair unless he is Sampson.

Shaft75
09-13-2007, 04:09 PM
LOL, are you serious man?

Ehh, i figured it would probably go over lots of peoples head in here, especially if you don't listen to hip hop, but whatever.

I listen to hip-hop and don't know what you are referencing to. Saying "uhhh, no homo" is that in a song?

I can give and take any jokes, but your allusion didn't flip the switch. Let me know what I am missing.

real
09-13-2007, 04:15 PM
I think he's talking about when a guy says something about another guys looks or something positive in general about another male, it is often followed up with "no homo" to let people know that his statement didn't have any kind of homosexual connotation behind it....

Example: "Yo, no homo, but you looking fly as he!! right now" or "You've been looking good since you lost all that weight, no homo"

I didn't understand when I read it at first, but when he mentioned the hip-hop thing I kinda understood what he meant...

Atleast I think this is what he meant...

Shaft75
09-13-2007, 04:22 PM
I think he's talking about when a guy says something about another guys looks or something positive in general about another male, it is often followed up with "no homo" to let people know that his statement didn't have any kind of homosexual connotation behind it....

Example: "Yo, no homo, but you looking fly as he!! right now" or "You've been looking good since you lost all that weight, no homo"

I didn't understand when I read it at first, but when he mentioned the hip-hop thing I kinda understood what he meant...

Atleast I think this is what he meant...

I must be getting old.

Even though the other day I learned how to do the Soulja Boy dance. (do I insert "no homo" here?)

real
09-13-2007, 04:42 PM
I must be getting old.

Even though the other day I learned how to do the Soulja Boy dance. (do I insert "no homo" here?)

"Now SUPERMAN that OOOOOOO!!!"

Mr teX
09-13-2007, 04:53 PM
I must be getting old.

Relax guy, i wasn't taking a shot ya'

But Xtru had it right for the most part, It's from something Camron & dipset started saying as a joke thru their little "movement" anytime someone said anything remotely close to (which apparently could be anything) being "suspect." no harm intended.

Mr teX
09-13-2007, 04:54 PM
I must be getting old.

You could, b/c that dance looks kinda.......

Shaft75
09-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Relax guy, i wasn't taking a shot ya'

But Xtru had it right for the most part, It's from something Camron & dipset started saying as a joke thru their little "movement" anytime someone said anything remotely close to (which apparently could be anything) being "suspect." no harm intended.

Thanks, I misunderstood big guy... no homo...