PDA

View Full Version : Dunta?

MissouriTexan
09-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Just a small question, this had me confused. First Texans game I've been able to watch in a looong time (because they faced the Chiefs) and they kept calling Dunta "Dante". Is Dunta pronounced the same way as Dante, or is this just another example of CBS announcers not doing their homework?

eriadoc
09-09-2007, 10:54 PM
It's always been pronounced Dunta, as far as I know. When he was drafted, there was some speculation that his Momma couldn't spell Dante.

EDIT - I meant to say Don-tay, lol. I spelled it correctly, and then pronounced it correctly in my head. Read what I mean, not what I type :D

NitroGSXR
09-09-2007, 10:56 PM
I know I'm Deaf but I actively try to learn how to pronounce these guys' names. It's pronounced DON-tay. It annoys the HELL out of me because I generally prounce them as they're spelled. Not this time!

michaelm
09-09-2007, 10:58 PM
I know I'm Deaf but I actively try to learn how to pronounce these guys' names. It's pronounced DON-tay. It annoys the HELL out of me because I generally prounce them as they're spelled. Not this time!

Not to get too personal, but your statement made me wonder if you could hear at one time.

NitroGSXR
09-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Not to get too personal, but your statement made me wonder if you could hear at one time.
Born Deaf. I had great parents and brothers who devoted all they could towards my speech therapy.

michaelm
09-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Born Deaf. I had great parents and brothers who devoted all they could towards my speech therapy.

Forgive my ignorance, but I always kind of connected pronunciation with hearing... I mean, I know you can spell out the pronunciation of a word, but never occurred to me that it would have much importance other than in audible communication.
I would have assumed (again, in my ignorance) that a deaf person would pretty much just see it as it is spelled... kind of interesting topic, actually.

BTW, whoever did your sig did a great job. Sorry I never got around to making one for you... after my company went public, I had to uninstall all personal software, including photoshop, from my company laptop...

NitroGSXR
09-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but I always kind of connected pronunciation with hearing... I mean, I know you can spell out the pronunciation of a word, but never occurred to me that it would have much importance other than in audible communication.
I would have assumed (again, in my ignorance) that a deaf person would pretty much just see it as it is spelled... kind of interesting topic, actually.

BTW, whoever did your sig did a great job. Sorry I never got around to making one for you... after my company went public, I had to uninstall all personal software, including photoshop, from my company laptop...
PM will be sent. I don't want to hijack any threads. This is a Dunta thread and it shall remain that. ANYONE who has a genuine morbid fascination with my Deafness can ABSOLUTELY PM me or create a thread in it's own about it. I'm very open and will answer any questions one may have.

Lork88 did my sig.