PDA

View Full Version : Thread for Carolina Panther fans who want to discuss football rather than smack

bigdog_10_2002
09-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Hey fellas,

congrats on your win today, from what i've seen, it appears that you dominated the cheifs. I will be by this week to talk football with you guys about the upcoming game next week in carolina. Take it easy

Go Panthers

bigdog_10_2002
09-09-2007, 08:56 PM
also want to encourage you guys to find your way to our site.. carolinahuddle.com

GuerillaBlack
09-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Yeah, you all are the rival forum of the week. I really think these threads should move to the Rivalry Talk section, and have the TexansTalk section for the Texans! You know, the HersheyBar approach.

JohnsonFan
09-09-2007, 09:03 PM
oh please not another hershey :(

Leahmic223
09-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Where is Hershey...did he eat his crow yet?

TexanSam
09-09-2007, 09:04 PM
I'm just hoping that any Panther fan that comes here and talks smack comes back to take the heat when they lose.

bigdog_10_2002
09-09-2007, 09:05 PM
wow, just stopped in to congratulate you guys on an opening day win, and you act like that...i'm not here to smack it up, but i can guarantee you a great deal of panther fans from the above mentioned board will be.

CantStopTheCats
09-09-2007, 09:06 PM
I'm just hoping that any Panther fan that comes here returns so that we can eat major crow when we lose.

Fixed

Jackofalltrades
09-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Considering the Texans play the Panthers this is Texans talk, dontcha think?

Most of us can be respectful in our approach, but we all have our 10%.

Wolf
09-09-2007, 09:07 PM
wow, just stopped in to congratulate you guys on an opening day win, and you act like that...i'm not here to smack it up, but i can guarantee you a great deal of panther fans from the above mentioned board will be.

we had a chiefs fan that was named Hershey and came by and talked smack and well, he hasn't been by since the game

We welcome all football talk here,whether you are a fan or not of the Texans..wellcome bigdog and jackofalltrades

GuerillaBlack
09-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Where is Hershey...did he eat his crow yet?

Nah, he is in hiding at the KC Star board. I am thinking about joining it and calling him out on his crap (and show how much of a coward he is), but it feels like too much work for nothing.

Tailgate
09-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Congrats on the win as well. Looking forward to a fight next Sunday.

Wolf
09-09-2007, 09:11 PM
I do propose a trade we will send FB cook for carolina

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/pics/data/62/Cheerleader-05.jpg

only fault is she isn't a Texan ;)
:cowboy1:

GuerillaBlack
09-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Considering the Texans play the Panthers this is Texans talk, dontcha think?

Most of us can be respectful in our approach, but we all have our 10%.

Of course you came to TexansTalk, but I don't think you understand what I am saying. This section you are posting in now is TexansTalk. We have another called Rivalry Talk where the rival fans come in.

NitroGSXR
09-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Welcome to the board, Carolina Fans! Definitely happy that you guys are here. Let's start swapping out some football insight on our teams and see if we can learn from each other!

Thanks for the offer to join up at carolina-huddle but I'm going to have to decline. You guys have some real characters over there that I'd just rather not read the language that comes out of them such as that BeastMorgan fellow. Whew! What a piece of work. I seriously cannot believe he hasn't been banned.

Once again, welcome! and....
:fans:

GuerillaBlack
09-09-2007, 09:21 PM
I like the other Carolina board better: PanthersFanz (http://panthersfanz.com/forums/). They seem must more respectful and civilized over there.

Jackofalltrades
09-09-2007, 09:44 PM
Panther Insider is pretty tame as well, but not nearly as active as the huddle.

gwallaia
09-09-2007, 09:46 PM
This thread is in the right forum. Keep it football talk and let the children play in the smack room.

Welcome to the board Panther fans.

infantrycak
09-09-2007, 09:49 PM
This thread is in the right forum. Keep it football talk and let the children play in the smack room.

Welcome to the board Panther fans.

Exactly--stay classy and talk about football in here. If all you want to do is muss your claws in the carpet, head to the Rivalry Talk sub forum under NFL.

Jackofalltrades
09-09-2007, 09:55 PM
So, what match up are you guys most looking forward to?

Me? Smith vs Robinson and D-line vs Texas O line.

LORK 88
09-09-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm getting signed up over at the huddle, but must admit that the board looks like it's clearly cut in half: those who want to talk smack, and those who want to discuss football. In light of that, welcome to all the Panther fans that are here to talk football, and I'm sorry if some of us seem hostile, a few idiots already have done some nice damage to the reputation of all Panthers fans.

GuerillaBlack
09-09-2007, 09:56 PM
AJ and JJ versus your secondary.

TEXANRED
09-09-2007, 09:58 PM

Personally its in my nature to forgive.

Jackofalltrades
09-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Our secondary is pretty good, we have three guys that could start on about any team in the league. They only got 9 INTs last year, but Lucas was injured and Gamble was in a funk all year.

TexansLucky13
09-09-2007, 09:59 PM
So, what match up are you guys most looking forward to?

Me? Smith vs Robinson and D-line vs Texas O line.

I agree with that one. If Dunta plays like he has been playing so far, he may be able to keep Smith in check.

I am interested, in contrast, to seeing how our D-line is against your O-line.

bigdog_10_2002
09-09-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm getting signed up over at the huddle, but must admit that the board looks like it's clearly cut in half: those who want to talk smack, and those who want to discuss football. In light of that, welcome to all the Panther fans that are here to talk football, and I'm sorry if some of us seem hostile, a few idiots already have done some nice damage to the reputation of all Panthers fans.

you will get some good football talk at the huddle, you will also find that we have some that post only after wins, but as does every board i suppose.

as far as the matchup that i'm looking forward too

texans oline, vrs panthers dline

we didn't put a great deal of pressure on bulger and i'm wondering if we can get to schaub a few times

Jackofalltrades
09-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Exactly--stay classy and talk about football in here. If all you want to do is muss your claws in the carpet, head to the Rivalry Talk sub forum under NFL.

I agree with that one. If Dunta plays like he has been playing so far, he may be able to keep Smith in check.

Not to sound cocky, but Robinson won't be able to do it alone, it'll take 2, maybe 3 guys. Smith really is just that good.

TEXANRED
09-09-2007, 10:05 PM

In my opinion I think the Texans should play more of a zone rather than man. I don't think our secondary is good enough to play man against Carolina.

From what I can tell Drob plays one half of the field and the Faggins plays the other. I shudder to think of Faggins playing Smith one on one.

If the D is going to win this game they had better get creative. Dropping linemen back into coverage and blitzing from different angles.

This game is going to be tough but winnable.

infantrycak
09-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Not to sound cocky, but Robinson won't be able to do it alone, it'll take 2, maybe 3 guys. Smith really is just that good.

As it will with AJ.

Jackofalltrades
09-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Could be, but Lucas is regarded as one of the best in the league. While I don't know much about AJ any more, I do know that you don't hear too much out of whomever is guarded by Ken Lucas.

Deep ball could be the way to go as our safeties are liabilities in coverage. Don't send them across the middle, they might get hurt...ask Isaac Bruce.

GuerillaBlack
09-09-2007, 10:10 PM

I'm not going to lie, the Panthers have the second best (finest) cheerleaders in the NFL. Of course the Texans are first.

JohnsonFan
09-09-2007, 10:10 PM
sorry carolina we are going to destroy u!

Jackofalltrades
09-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Thoughtful and intelligent post Johnsonfan.

TexansLucky13
09-09-2007, 10:16 PM

This is the wrong thread for that, J Fan.

NitroGSXR
09-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Thoughtful and intelligent post Johnsonfan.
Don't worry about johnsonfan. He's our resident dingleberry who has nothing to contribute. You just have to pat his head and smile then walk away.

I responded to your post in the other thread but I didn't mean for it to get left in the 'smack talk' forum. Here it is...

Originally Posted by Jackofalltrades http://home.austin.rr.com/khari/images/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=730904#post730904)
Thanks for the understanding.

I wouldn't count on Delhomme getting hurt, however...I haven't been real impressed with Carr. Part of the problem is that he's too prone to take off and run as opposed to standing in the pocket and letting the play develop.

He has good accuracy, but it's easy to see that Delhomme is the clear leader of the team and would suffer without him.

We learned a lot about our Panthers today. New OC likes a lot of pre snap motion and like to keep the opposing D guessing, something we're just not used to.

We also involved the TE in the passing game, my heart nearly stopped.

The Texans may be able to cover Smith with 2-3 guys, but that'll open up the running game or other receivers. The Smith effect is far reaching.

My biggest concern is containing Steve Smith. Our secondary is terrible and probably is one of the worst DESPITE us having Dunta Robinson. That's how bad it is out there. We have about 6 strong safeties but no free safety. That's a huge concern. Then we went and traded for ANOTHER strong safety in Boulware ALTHOUGH.... he's definitely an upgrade over everyone else. Then we lose two major players in Glenn Earl and Jason Simmons. Oh yeah, I'm worried about covering Steve Smith.

Now I wouldn't think that Steve Smith is quite all that physical when one were to compare him to Andre Johnson or a similar player. Steve Smith is the kind of player who turns on the rockets and you'd best catch him or you can forget about it. If I'm wrong on this, please correct me. I'm only going by the numbers on his NFL page which shows Smith to be on the small side.

I believe that if we can contain Steve Smith, we'll be fine and we can talk about this game remaining competitive down the wire which is what most football fans want anyway! Makes it fun!

As for defense, I think we have more raw talent but yours has blossomed thus you should be able to contain us there.

I'm banking on the difference in this game is going to be special teams. It would be best for the Panthers if it didn't come down to special teams. We rock.

infantrycak
09-09-2007, 10:20 PM
Could be, but Lucas is regarded as one of the best in the league.

Definitely a good match up. Do the Panthers assign their CB's to a WR or to a side of the field generally?

infantrycak
09-09-2007, 10:21 PM

As someone said above--this kind of post from either Texan or Panther fans should go in the rivalry talk forum. This is for football discussion. Thanks.

The Pencil Neck
09-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Could be, but Lucas is regarded as one of the best in the league. While I don't know much about AJ any more, I do know that you don't hear too much out of whomever is guarded by Ken Lucas.

Deep ball could be the way to go as our safeties are liabilities in coverage. Don't send them across the middle, they might get hurt...ask Isaac Bruce.

Last year, Carr was pretty much ONLY throwing to AJ and so everyone was doubling him and he still caught 103 passes. He's really big and he's really fast. He's also not afraid of contact.

Jacoby Jones is our 3rd round pick and he'll probably be our #2 before mid-season. He's big and insanely fast (4.24 40 best recorded time) and he's got good hands.

Kevin Walter is a good possession receiver. He's got at being in traffic and catching balls while getting hit.

Owen Daniels, our starting TE, is a great receiver that a lot of people overlook.

The good thing about Schaub is he's good at finding the open guy. He's got pretty good pocket presence.

So, yeah, I'm interested in seeing your secondary against our receivers. I think it's going to be a good matchup.

Jackofalltrades
09-09-2007, 10:33 PM
"ya'll better have some answers on defense too, we have more than a few weapons this year. our offense did fine moving the chains today, but looked a little out of sync. i'm sure kubiak will have it back into a comfort zone by next week."

Shut the Rams out last year, bottled them up today and only allowed one TD, they're the second best O in the NFL. The best O in the NFC...we stopped twice last year.

" Steve Smith is the kind of player who turns on the rockets and you'd best catch him or you can forget about it. If I'm wrong on this, please correct me."

He's very physical actually. He's got an incredible verticle leap, phenominal balance and body control AND is deceptively strong.

Our ST's, except the punter, suck so far. If Dante Hall wasn't old and used up, he would have had a kick return for a TD, luckily he's slow and was chased down by our nickel back.

"Do the Panthers assign their CB's to a WR or to a side of the field generally?"

They actually mix it up. We also play a lot of zone, which most fans aren't fond of, but with ok safeties last year and two beat up CB's we still managed to be the 7th ranked D in the league last year.

Trap_Star
09-09-2007, 10:35 PM
wonder if Hulk75 will stop by to say hi?

pantherare4real
09-09-2007, 10:58 PM
dont know much on the dl possitions: where will williams line up, over the rt or lt?

if he lines up over the rt, i will be a bit conserned thats our weak spot. i am wondering if you all will fall to sleep on king. he quietly racked up nice production from the te spot for us, something davidson loves to employ.

AJ is gona be a rough matchup he will get his for sure, just like holt did this week. can you run the ball though our front 4, i dont think so. the rams have a stout offense, not just 1 guy (like lj and the chiefs) to count on, and still got baffled in the 2nd half. i think itsgona be close for 2 quarters and we pull away in the 2nd half.

the key to the game like alot of people mentioned here, is who get smore pressure on the qb? thats gona shape this game (i dont see either team running very well, unless its late and someone is up 10+). jake is great with time a ticking time bomb with pressure. if we can get to matt, we can disrupt timing to AJ. mario is gona be a stud for you all, i hope he turns it on after next week though :)

infantrycak
09-09-2007, 11:03 PM
dont know much on the dl possitions: where will williams line up, over the rt or lt?

He will spend most of his time at LDE over the RT.

The Pencil Neck
09-09-2007, 11:15 PM

Mario normally lines up over the LT but we bounce him around to the RT quite a bit and that's normally where he's most effective. He doesn't have the quick first step that Peppers has but he's very strong and once he gets going, he's pretty fast. He can chase things down and he's usually around the ball.

You'll also see pressure from ND Kalu and Shantee Orr from the d-line. We're waiting for Amobi Okoye to grow into the position. You'll see all our d-line shifting positions and rotating in and out quite a bit.

mexican_texan
09-09-2007, 11:20 PM

Looks like she may be hiding a Texan in her trunk though. I better get a closer look.

The Pencil Neck
09-09-2007, 11:20 PM
the key to the game like alot of people mentioned here, is who get smore pressure on the qb? thats gona shape this game (i dont see either team running very well, unless its late and someone is up 10+). jake is great with time a ticking time bomb with pressure. if we can get to matt, we can disrupt timing to AJ.

Right now, Matt's best feature is his ability to read the defense and identify where the pressure is coming from. When he has to, he gets the ball out quick and on time.

I'm hoping that we're able to get to Jake and disrupt his timing. One of our big problems, coaching-wise, is that our defensive coaches really don't want to blitz. They want pressure from our front four alone. Last year, our first three games were horrible because they refused to blitz. Once they started blitzing, we were fine. I have to go back and watch this game again but I don't think we blitzed more than a handfull of times against the Chefs. I'm hoping we'll bring more pressure against you guys.

DBCooper
09-09-2007, 11:45 PM
Looks like she may be hiding a Texan in her trunk though. I better get a closer look.

You caught me, now here's $1000, get lost.

DBCooper
09-09-2007, 11:51 PM
The Panthers look solid all around.

Steve Smith scares me.

Julius Peppers scares me too.

Their 2 running back punch of Foster and Williams is a good ground game.

We have to get pressure on Jake on Defense and protect Schaub on Offense.

I think Carolina is the better team right now, but a few breaks and solid play from our guys and we can win this one.

TexansSeminole
09-10-2007, 12:04 AM

Perhaps go to nfl.com and check out the video of AJ's 77 yards reception. He is a huge deepthreat. We also have playmakers up the middle so your, the Panthers, defense will have to be disciplined.

I agree the Panthers defense is good. Schaub will have to control the game well and try and keep good field position throughout the game.

pantherare4real
09-10-2007, 12:06 AM
Right now, Matt's best feature is his ability to read the defense and identify where the pressure is coming from. When he has to, he gets the ball out quick and on time.

I'm hoping that we're able to get to Jake and disrupt his timing. One of our big problems, coaching-wise, is that our defensive coaches really don't want to blitz. They want pressure from our front four alone. Last year, our first three games were horrible because they refused to blitz. Once they started blitzing, we were fine. I have to go back and watch this game again but I don't think we blitzed more than a handfull of times against the Chefs. I'm hoping we'll bring more pressure against you guys.

roflmao. thats exactly what panther nation has been crying about for the last 2 years aw well. sounds like 2 teams with a very similarstyle going at it next week. might be the team that plays agressive and not conservative (like normal :gun: ) that wins. gona likely be a defensive battle, not a shoot out imo. wouldnt be surprised if its inthe low teens.

LORK 88
09-10-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm real interested to see how our pass defense handles their pass offense. I know its broad, but their pass rush can do some damage and they have some talent at CB (I was pushing for us to trade with Chicago to draft Marshall). The key will be stopping the big play, but I'll go more into that in my weekly preview.

TexansSeminole
09-10-2007, 12:15 AM
roflmao. thats exactly what panther nation has been crying about for the last 2 years aw well. sounds like 2 teams with a very similarstyle going at it next week. might be the team that plays agressive and not conservative (like normal :gun: ) that wins. gona likely be a defensive battle, not a shoot out imo. wouldnt be surprised if its inthe low teens.

Our defenses are built quite similiar as well. I think if we can stop DeAngelo Williams and DeShaun Foster from getting significant yardage and first downs we have a really good chance to win. We stopped Larry Johnson on most running plays today, this Panthers game will be another nice test.

BTW: Chris Gamble is considered questionable with an ankle issue. That is yall's nickel back or starting corner? Wasn't sure if he had won a job over there or what not. Also who is his backup?

Mr PC
09-10-2007, 04:14 AM
Honestly I think the Texans match up pretty well against the Panthers. The Panthers have Steve Smith, but there is significant dropoff at their #2 WR. This is good for us because we have a Dunta Robinson, but then there is significant dropoff at our #2 CB. Its better that we play a team with only one great WR plus a bunch of mediocre ones as opposed to a team with evenly spread talent at WR. Besides, Andre Johnson is every bit the reciever that Steve Smith is.

Boulware will probably get most of the minutes at SS in this game because we lost Simmons to an injury. Dunta is going to have his hands full with Smith, but if he can hang with him enough to let Boulware key in on the run, the Texans will probably win. A big key to this will be pressure. If Delhomme has all day to throw, Smith will be able to break loose. I think we should see a lot of Kalu in the Panthers game, because N.D. knows how to get pressure. Getting pressure on Delhomme will be a big part of winning this game. Jake is a great QB when he has time to throw, but under pressure he gets rattled and will make costly mistakes. If we can get after him and put him outside of his comfort zone, we can force multiple turnovers in this game.

The biggest thing I am worried about is Peppers and co. Our O-line is going to have to do a better job protecting Schaub. I think Peppers lines up over the RT a lot, so that will be on Winston. Personally, Im not sure which of our tackles is better suited to block Peppers. We will probably have to double team him for most of the game.

Both teams looked pretty good in their season openers, so this game will be very fun to watch.

Thorn
09-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Just an over all observation on the Carolina game:

Our defense vs. their offense: Advantage to Texans

Our offense vs. their defense: Advantage to Panthers

If both teams live up to their talent, it's going to be a very tight game.

JPEPP4PREZ
09-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Here we go folks! Congratulations on your win over KC, but now it's time to travel Northeast to BOA Stadium. Your defense seems to be much improved and young. Ryans is a beast (Roll Tide). We've done a lot of things different in regards to our offense. The zone blocking is moving the pocket with Jake and the checkdowns are becoming more a factor when blitzed. Multiple sets are being used with personel being switched almost every down. Look for Steve Smith to be lined up all over the field. We've finally started to use a TE in Jeff King, which makes me :splits:

Our D-Line seems to be back stuffing the run, so Andre Johnson will have to be a factor. Hopefully Dan Morgan can stay healthy, he led the team in tackles last week, look for him to shadow A. Green all day. I'm ready for Sunday...good luck!

The Panthers are hungry, and they want some brisket...we'll bring the vinegar!!! :bat:

Texan Asylum
09-10-2007, 10:26 AM
Along with BBQ, we Texans like SPICY foods as well. Little dish we like to eat a few times a year is called Gato de Verde ( kitty in green sauce ). It might be alittle spicy for your liking though.

Welcome aboard JP, hope your stay is well. Here's to a injury free game. :texflag:

JPEPP4PREZ
09-10-2007, 10:28 AM
you're right on about our defense. young and getting good. don't be surprised if your offense can't do much other than throw to smith, who i'm sure will be open a few times...

our passing game is stronger than the run game imo, and you'll have to be ready for more than just andre.

unfortunately for me, carolina is one of the teams i don't know much about outside of your star players. so i'm sure this week will be a learning experience...

I don't know a lot about the Texans, except for an up and coming defense...feel free to ask any questions about the boys form NC!

gtexan02
09-10-2007, 10:30 AM
Im pretty nervous about going into Carolina nd coming home with a win.

Your D was amazing last year, and didn't look like they slowed down this season.

It could be close, but it will take a perfect game from our team to come home with a win

JPEPP4PREZ
09-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Along with BBQ, we Texans like SPICY foods as well. Little dish we like to eat a few times a year is called Gato de Verde ( kitty in green sauce ). It might be alittle spicy for your liking though.

Welcome aboard JP, hope your stay is well. Here's to a injury free game. :texflag:

Something that bada$$ has to give you some gas!

Here's to a fun week and some good football talk...:wild:

Texan Asylum
09-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Something that bada$$ has to give you some gas!

Here's to a fun week and some good football talk...:wild:

Looking forward to an excellent game.

I don't do much in the way of smack talk--I let my friends do that here--but it's fun to toss a few around once in a while.

Have a great week here JP.

JPEPP4PREZ
09-10-2007, 10:58 AM
Looking forward to an excellent game.

I don't do much in the way of smack talk--I let my friends do that here--but it's fun to toss a few around once in a while.

Have a great week here JP.

I will, and I don't have a problem with a little smack...I just hate it when that's all people do, those are usually the ones with little football knowledge.

hookinreds
09-10-2007, 10:59 AM
In regard to your title...that's comparing candy to meat. One is for kids and the other smells like victory.

To be honest, this should be a very good test for both teams. Look forward to seeing what both teams have to offer.

JPEPP4PREZ
09-10-2007, 11:01 AM
In regard to your title...that's comparing candy to meat. One is for kids and the other smells like victory.

If it ain't Pork, it ain't BBQ! :devilpig:

Texan_Bill
09-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Whats up with that mustard BBQ sauce anyways???

Exithios
09-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Here we go folks! Congratulations on your win over KC, but now it's time to travel Northeast to BOA Stadium. Your defense seems to be much improved and young. Ryans is a beast (Roll Tide). We've done a lot of things different in regards to our offense. The zone blocking is moving the pocket with Jake and the checkdowns are becoming more a factor when blitzed. Multiple sets are being used with personel being switched almost every down. Look for Steve Smith to be lined up all over the field. We've finally started to use a TE in Jeff King, which makes me :splits:

Our D-Line seems to be back stuffing the run, so Andre Johnson will have to be a factor. Hopefully Dan Morgan can stay healthy, he led the team in tackles last week, look for him to shadow A. Green all day. I'm ready for Sunday...good luck!

The Panthers are hungry, and they want some brisket...we'll bring the vinegar!!! :bat:

Welcome to the boards!

This is going to be a very interesting game between 2 teams that are more similar than not. The defenses are pretty similar in comparison with the Panthers getting an edge with a superior secondary. This will be 1.) a battle of number 1's, Andre Johnson and Steve Smith and 2.) the team that establishes the run game will succeed in playaction and to the victor goes the spoils.

My $0.02

JPEPP4PREZ
09-10-2007, 11:09 AM

I'm not big on that...Eastern NC has vinegar based, this my friend is NC BBQ.

FirstTexansFan
09-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Been there, seen it, ate it, gave BBQ lessons to my family in Carolina. Go see'em in Salisbury, they'll show ya how it's done right in Texas :)

Vinny
09-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Pulled pork isn't something Texans consider BBQ....we call that a sammich.

Texan Asylum
09-10-2007, 11:18 AM
I will, and I don't have a problem with a little smack...I just hate it when that's all people do, those are usually the ones with little football knowledge.

Well I for one am not the most knowledgeable regarding football rules or even regarding stats. I learn more regarding those things reading good folks here on this board.

The one thing that I've learned about noobs coming here to talk 'serious' football is that it most generally turns to trash talk on their parts and clutters up my message board with garbage. I do hope your stay is a pleasant one, and you are welcome here anytime as long as you don't go the path like HersheyBar, and folks like him did.

JPEPP4PREZ
09-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Pulled pork isn't something Texans consider BBQ....we call that a sammich.

Now that's one hell of a sammie!!!

HuttoKarl
09-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Vinegar?

I always thought vinegar was for pu....nah...too easy.

:whip:

FirstTexansFan
09-10-2007, 11:33 AM
^^^^ That's just WRONG!!! But OMG funny :)

rockabilly
09-10-2007, 11:34 AM
its gonna be tough stopping steve smith. we are struggling at the safety position.

Im am not that confident about this game. But if the Texans can win, get ready for people to start talking about us as a real threat.

JPEPP4PREZ
09-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Vinegar?

I always thought vinegar was for pu....nah...too easy.

:whip:

You are what you eat...

Shaft75
09-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Speaking of BBQ. How do you like your over-cooked backup qb???

Someone had to ask!:user:

JPEPP4PREZ
09-10-2007, 11:44 AM

I think he has the weirdest release I've ever seen...It's like he's expecting to get sacked. He didn't look great in TC or the pre-season...but I'm a believer in Jake...

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb202/gsquared81/motivator.jpg

Errant Hothy
09-10-2007, 11:49 AM
I think he has the weirdest release I've ever seen...It's like he's expecting to get sacked. He didn't look great in TC or the pre-season...but I'm a believer in Jake...

You have not watched a Titans game yet...have you?

DocBar
09-10-2007, 11:52 AM
I expect a good game, but think Carolina has an edge on us. This is going to be a tough game where we'll need some breaks to come out of it with a W. I took Carolina kind of lightly til I watched them play yesterday. They looked like a pretty dang good team to me. I think we CAN pull out a win as long as we execute: no turnovers, limit penalties and have a complete game performance from our D that resembles the second half against the Chiefs. We can't afford to two step with the O-line like we did a lot in the 1st half. Hopefully, MW is juiced to play in his home state and Kalu can play, despite the hand injury.
Losing Simmons for the year sucks, mostly because any time a player has an injury, it sucks. I'm looking forward to seeing Fletcher play FS(PLEASE) and Boulware at SS. That might be our best combination of safeties.
We MUST get better production from the running game. We were able to run it when we HAD to yesterday, but it wasn't anywhere near as effective as it needs to be. The O-line is going to be really put to the test against Carolina. Schaub will need to be extra sharp and see if he can hit his hot read and burn them a few times to keep them honest.
All in all, should be a great game.

Shaft75
09-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Andre Johnson did some walking this weekend himself!

http://www.texansbullpen.com/07photogallery/Season/2007-09-09-Chiefs-Texans/2ndQuarter/DSC_0419.JPG

Second Honeymoon
09-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Carolina loses this battle based on BBQ Sauce alone. Carolina sauce is based on vinegar and water. In other words, the same ingredients as what a woman cleans her business with. Just grab a douchebag and you are halfway home towards making Carolina BBQ sauce. Add ketchup and mission accomplished.

Vinegar and water is for douches and not for BBQ Sauce. Stubbs BBQ Sauce FTW. Carolina loses in a landslide just like they will on Sunday.

JPEPP4PREZ
09-10-2007, 12:06 PM

Carolina loses this battle based on BBQ Sauce alone. Carolina sauce is based on vinegar and water. In other words, the same ingredients as what a woman cleans her business with. Just grab a douchebag and you are halfway home towards making Carolina BBQ sauce. Add ketchup and mission accomplished.

Vinegar and water is for douches and not for BBQ Sauce. Stubbs BBQ Sauce FTW. Carolina loses in a landslide just like they will on Sunday.

2 cups distilled white vinegar
2/3 cup ketchup
1 cup water
1 tablespoon white sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

That's all you need for good pork BBQ sauce...It's all about the slow cooking!

On a football note, how does your Oline look?

Texan_Bill
09-10-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm not big on that...Eastern NC has vinegar based, this my friend is NC BBQ.

I will defer to you on this subject obviously, but around Clemson (120 miles) from Charlotte, I had yellowish, mustardy, nasty BBQ. They claimed it was "Carolina's Best BBQ".

Vinny
09-10-2007, 12:13 PM
On a football note, how does your Oline look?decent. Not bad but McKinney the Center got lit up and pancaked a time or two....Winston is coming along at RT and thought he played a decent game. Weary played a better game than Pitts did (our starting Guards)....overall the Oline isn't nearly as bad as the National perception is, but still starts E Salaam at LT and needs to upgrade at Center along with getting a little better Guard play before it can be called anything more than 'middle of the road'. Some of that stuff can be cleaned up, but we are what we are at LT and C for this year.

michaelm
09-10-2007, 12:25 PM

It's damn good for chicken, I can say that. I used to get it that way in Panama City from this really old man with a BBQ shack on the side of the road... some of the best I ever had... the shack didn't even have tables or seats, and on Fridays after work, there was a half-hour long line.
The old man sold his mustard based sauce by the gallon, too, and many of his customers left with a gallon jug in hand...

Second Honeymoon
09-10-2007, 12:26 PM
decent. Not bad but McKinney the Center got lit up and pancaked a time or two....Winston is coming along at RT and thought he played a decent game. Weary played a better game than Pitts did (our starting Guards)....overall the Oline isn't nearly as bad as the National perception is, but still starts E Salaam at LT and needs to upgrade at Center along with getting a little better Guard play before it can be called anything more than 'middle of the road'. Some of that stuff can be cleaned up, but we are what we are at LT and C for this year.

no doubt, McKinney looked overmatched most of the game and got totally owned on two consecutive plays in the 1st Half by the Chiefs DT. I have never liked the guy though as he was one of Carr's biggest apologists/homers. Hopefully he can play better and we can address Center and Free Safety in next year's draft to fill in our team's weakest spots currently.

JPEPP4PREZ
09-10-2007, 12:27 PM
decent. Not bad but McKinney the Center got lit up and pancaked a time or two....Winston is coming along at RT and thought he played a decent game. Weary played a better game than Pitts did (our starting Guards)....overall the Oline isn't nearly as bad as the National perception is, but still starts E Salaam at LT and needs to upgrade at Center along with getting a little better Guard play before it can be called anything more than 'middle of the road'. Some of that stuff can be cleaned up, but we are what we are at LT and C for this year.

This, IMO is where you guys will have to excel to win the game. Kris Jenkins was eating up the Rams OG. Kindell Moorehead had a great game and JPepp was in coverage in a couple of schemes covering S. Jackson.

beerlover
09-10-2007, 12:27 PM

I think thats a very accurate reflection on the state of the Texans offensive line :)

with the College season two games in already I've been scouting the country for a Center & LT. Wake Forrest Steve Justice looks like a prime canidate for a zone blocking scheme that Kubaik/Sherman run. I like his game alot, could be the first Center taken & expected to start as a rookie. I'm somewhat dissapointed with Jake Long so far but Michigan as a whole has looked bad. the one tackle I really have liked so far is BC's Cherilus Gosder, reminds me alot of Spencer (God I hope he can recover) walls off, nice wide base, strong hand punch & physical.

michaelm
09-10-2007, 12:33 PM
no doubt, McKinney looked overmatched most of the game and got totally owned on two consecutive plays in the 1st Half by the Chiefs DT. I have never liked the guy though as he was one of Carr's biggest apologists/homers. Hopefully he can play better and we can address Center and Free Safety in next year's draft to fill in our team's weakest spots currently.

As an OL, he pretty much was in a catch-22... if he tells the truth about Carr, he looks like a tool who's trying to point a finger at the QB for the perceived problems in the OLine... I think he deserves credit for not calling Carr out when he knew exactly what the problem was... just my opinion.

Second Honeymoon
09-10-2007, 12:39 PM
As an OL, he pretty much was in a catch-22... if he tells the truth about Carr, he looks like a tool who's trying to point a finger at the QB for the perceived problems in the OLine... I think he deserves credit for not calling Carr out when he knew exactly what the problem was... just my opinion.

i hear ya man, I wouldnt expect a quality teammate to throw Carr under the bus but he could have been more realistic and honest. something like 'David has some work to do in order to be where he needs to get and at some point he needs to start showing signs of improvement but we need to do a better job protecting him and putting pieces around him.'

Steve just laid on the apologist attitude a little thick in interviews and on his 610 radio show. he always had the 'david will be a good QB in this league. david has all the tools to be successful, we just need to do a better job around him.' party line and it was patently false. he doesnt have all the tools and never will and that mindset retarded the development of our franchise until RS arrived and made people accountable for their play and level of dedication to the game.

fwiw - a college buddy of mine from STL was at the panthers v. rams game and he said that Carr was sitting on the bench for almost the whole game and was not part of the play signalling or holding a clipboard. he said that he talked to no one except a trainer and a ballboy and no players ever came up to him as far as he saw. I am sure he was just thinking he couldnt wait for the game to end so he could go home to his family. god forbid, he enjoy the game or try and ingest or be a part of the gameplanning/playcalling...once a tool always a tool. the term mama's boy always comes to mind.

BeerTastesLikeVictory
09-10-2007, 12:42 PM

This should not even be a factor. The people who do it right in Texas generally do not even serve sauce. See Kruez Market in Lockhart. There are many others but thats just the one that comes to mind. The meat should speak for itself. That being said once in a while I do like a little BBQ sauce, and I agree Stubbs is very good, as is Rudy's sauce, DL Jardines takes the cake with their Killer sauce. FWIW I had to worst BBQ in my life in North Carolina. I am sure there is better, but I am not going out of my way next time I am in that region to try the BBQ. Oh yeah, should be an interesting game. Stopping Steve Smith is key for sure. I think D-Rob is up for the challenge, he did look pretty good against TO in the pre-season. The next 2 weeks will really show what this team is all about. I am getting jittery already.

michaelm
09-10-2007, 12:42 PM
This, IMO is where you guys will have to excel to win the game. Kris Jenkins was eating up the Rams OG. Kindell Moorehead had a great game and JPepp was in coverage in a couple of schemes covering S. Jackson.

The Panthers will never expect our secret weapon... the INT machine known as Travis Johnson..!
Don't say you haven't been warned!

In all seriousness, if we are going to have any chance at all, we will need to get to Delhomme often... there's no way our secondary will shut down S Smith... we will need to shut that option down from the QB end of the connection to have success at all.
Hopefully, Michael Boulware is ready to start, because he and any other safety are better than CC Brown and any other safety, IMO. Boulware and Brown may be our best combo, based strictly on the fact that Brown played FS all of last season.

Porky
09-10-2007, 12:44 PM

Excuse me? :hides: :panic:

Second Honeymoon
09-10-2007, 12:47 PM
This should not even be a factor. The people who do it right in Texas generally do not even serve sauce. See Kruez Market in Lockhart. There are many others but thats just the one that comes to mind. The meat should speak for itself. That being said once in a while I do like a little BBQ sauce, and I agree Stubbs is very good, as is Rudy's sauce, DL Jardines takes the cake with their Killer sauce. FWIW I had to worst BBQ in my life in North Carolina. I am sure there is better, but I am not going out of my way next time I am in that region to try the BBQ. Oh yeah, should be an interesting game. Stopping Steve Smith is key for sure. I think D-Rob is up for the challenge, he did look pretty good against TO in the pre-season. The next 2 weeks will really show what this team is all about. I am getting jittery already.

yeah i went to the Rodeo BBQ cookoff and asked my girlfriend's dad for some sauce with my BBQ and you would have thought I just shot the family dog. He was like 'good BBQ doesnt need any sauce, Doug.' I said 'oh ok' and went back to my seat feeling like I just got scolded by my school's headmaster.

I will have to try out Rudy's sauce. Havent tried that yet.

michaelm
09-10-2007, 12:48 PM
i hear ya man, I wouldnt expect a quality teammate to throw Carr under the bus but he could have been more realistic and honest. something like 'David has some work to do in order to be where he needs to get and at some point he needs to start showing signs of improvement but we need to do a better job protecting him and putting pieces around him.'

Steve just laid on the apologist attitude a little thick in interviews and on his 610 radio show. he always had the 'david will be a good QB in this league. david has all the tools to be successful, we just need to do a better job around him.' party line and it was patently false. he doesnt have all the tools and never will and that mindset retarded the development of our franchise until RS arrived and made people accountable for their play and level of dedication to the game.

I hear you, but I don't think there was anything positive to be gained by McKinney being honest... What effect would it have had, other than causing drama in the locker room..? even if he just came out and told his true opinion about Carr, David was still gonna start... Steve wouldn't have been telling anyone on the coaching staff anything they didn't already know...
I don't know about the whole situation concerning whose decision it was to keep DC, but my God, Kubiak must feel like an albatross has been removed from around his neck... (<<< did I just mix a metaphor?)

JPEPP4PREZ
09-10-2007, 12:49 PM
[QUOTE=michaelm;731476]The Panthers will never expect our secret weapon... the INT machine known as Travis Johnson..!

Second Honeymoon
09-10-2007, 12:50 PM
I hear you, but I don't think there was anything positive to be gained by McKinney being honest... What effect would it have had, other than causing drama in the locker room..? even if he just came out and told his true opinion about Carr, David was still gonna start... Steve wouldn't have been telling anyone on the coaching staff anything they didn't already know...
I don't know about the whole situation concerning whose decision it was to keep DC, but my God, Kubiak must feel like an albatross has been removed from around his neck... (<<< did I just mix a metaphor?)

quoted for truth.

JPEPP4PREZ
09-10-2007, 12:51 PM
The Panthers will never expect our secret weapon... the INT machine known as Travis Johnson..!
Don't say you haven't been warned!

In all seriousness, if we are going to have any chance at all, we will need to get to Delhomme often... there's no way our secondary will shut down S Smith... we will need to shut that option down from the QB end of the connection to have success at all.
Hopefully, Michael Boulware is ready to start, because he and any other safety are better than CC Brown and any other safety, IMO. Boulware and Brown may be our best combo, based strictly on the fact that Brown played FS all of last season.

This statement is very true...your DLine will have to force him to make bonehead moves like he has done in the past. I'm loving the zone blocking because even on the blitz he has time to check down to Foster, Williams or J. King...and Williams can be nasty in open space. Last year when Delhomme was blitzed, he would try to force the ball downfield...which killed us. He made some smart moves last week in getting rid of the ball.

michaelm
09-10-2007, 01:10 PM
This statement is very true...your DLine will have to force him to make bonehead moves like he has done in the past. I'm loving the zone blocking because even on the blitz he has time to check down to Foster, Williams or J. King...and Williams can be nasty in open space. Last year when Delhomme was blitzed, he would try to force the ball downfield...which killed us. He made some smart moves last week in getting rid of the ball.

Unless you guys are using a type of zone blocking that I'm not familiar with, the ZBS only comes into play on running plays.
We had this discussion many times last year, when people mistakenly thought the ZBS affected the pass blocking. I could be mistaken, of course... The scheme we use could be different, and also, we seem to have moved away from a ZBS as our main blocking scheme. I think the staff came to realize that our personnel aren't the best for that scheme.
One of you Texan Talkers correct me if I'm wrong on that, and maybe one of you with a better understanding of the whole thing could expand on it...

HOU-TEX
09-10-2007, 01:51 PM

Man, you couldn't have decribed it any better. My thoughts exactly.:)

McKinney really disappointed me with his play. Alfonso Boone was treating Steve like a ragdoll quite often. He literally put Steve on his backside.

Salaam was decent. He made a mistake or two, but overall he held up. It'd be nice to know who missed the call on the blindside blitz that lit Schaub up (can't believe he held onto the ball. Not used to that).:cool:

Texan Asylum
09-10-2007, 02:08 PM

I think our OL will improve incrementally with each game once they get used to the fact that there's not a self sacking QB to protect, or the need to run down field and block for when he gets happy feet and runs...which used to be every other play!

Battle Red Flash
09-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Hey fellas,

congrats on your win today, from what i've seen, it appears that you dominated the cheifs. I will be by this week to talk football with you guys about the upcoming game next week in carolina. Take it easy

Go Panthers

Panthers looked good Sunday too. Delhomme looked sharp.
Rams did not get a sack, but we hope to get a few.
Panthers need to be ready. I believe this is the best Texans team assembled so far. (I know this does not strike fear, but if the Panthers win, it won't be easy)

disaacks3
09-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Let me be the latest addition to the "Vinny summed it up nicely" crowd.

The only thing I'll add is that there is a REALLY weird Jekyll/Hyde thing going on when you talk about our O-Line and comparing our effectiveness in Run Blocking vs. Pass Blocking.

JohnsonFan
09-10-2007, 03:19 PM
i guess we wont be seeing carr

axman40
09-10-2007, 04:53 PM
We need to limit touches by Steve Smith and we also need to lock down Drew Carter.
It will be fun to watch our D line vs the Panthers o line.

Jackofalltrades
09-10-2007, 07:59 PM
We need to limit touches by Steve Smith and we also need to lock down Drew Carter.
It will be fun to watch our D line vs the Panthers o line.

How do you propose to do that? Limiting Smith's touches sounds great in theory, but no one has been able to pull it off.

Carter has a lot of speed, but isn't known for his hands, however his two td receptions yesterday show that he may be making strides in that area.

I don't know what your D line is going to be able to accomplish, it's not like they don't face one of the best lines in the league everyday in practice.

kiwitexansfan
09-10-2007, 08:00 PM
I for one am looking forward to seeing Peppers go against our O-Line.

I see Peppers as being the guy that Mario can become, hopefully Mario will be watching every little thing that Peppers does and learn what it takes to turn freakish physical ability into jaw dropping football moves.

Also look out for Mario in run defense, you might have heard he was a bust but he can lock down his side of the line in run defense already.

JohnsonFan
09-10-2007, 08:14 PM
I for one am looking forward to seeing Peppers go against our O-Line.

I see Peppers as being the guy that Mario can become, hopefully Mario will be watching every little thing that Peppers does and learn what it takes to turn freakish physical ability into jaw dropping football moves.

Also look out for Mario in run defense, you might have heard he was a bust but he can lock down his side of the line in run defense already.
if kc's boone can run through it peppers can

supersega
09-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Panther fan here. I think that this will be a good test for us. Houston's D is really young and exciting. They remind me of our D a few years ago. Now that the Texans have a good QB, :thankyou: they might go .500. Tough to make the playoffs in the AFC though. Visit the better Panther message board at Panthercoalition.com (http://www.panthercoalition.com/index.php)

Jackofalltrades
09-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Your line gave up two sacks to the Chiefs, I think Jenkins, Peppers and Rucker will cause problems. Lewis and Moorehead played well this past week, but it didn't seem like getting in Bulger's face was a real priority.

I'm happy to say that our line played very well by giving Jake plenty of time, not surrendering any sacks and paving the way for 186 yards.

axman40
09-10-2007, 08:46 PM
How do you propose to do that? Limiting Smith's touches sounds great in theory, but no one has been able to pull it off.

Carter has a lot of speed, but isn't known for his hands, however his two td receptions yesterday show that he may be making strides in that area.

I don't know what your D line is going to be able to accomplish, it's not like they don't face one of the best lines in the league everyday in practice.
The only sure way to limit his touches is by keeping him on the sidelines.Play ball control offense and have long time consuming TD drives. If The Texans have to settle for FG's we will lose!I know easier said than done.
:texflag:

Jackofalltrades
09-10-2007, 08:56 PM
"Play ball control offense and have long time consuming TD drives."

7th ranked D...

kiwitexansfan
09-10-2007, 09:43 PM
I feel our team runs the ball pretty well, we have good depth at RB and a solid run blocking line so it will be good to see them test themselves against a quality line.

Time of possesion and playing mistake free as always will be key to a Texans win, although we are a bit more explosive on both sides of the ball than we have been previous years.

Question for Panthers Fan: How is your kick coverage??
Asking in light of Jerome Mathis and Jacoby Jones talents. Wondering if we have an edge there.

Jackofalltrades
09-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Kick coverage is something that worries me honestly. Dante Hall nearly returned a kick off for a TD. If he wasn't old and slow, it would have been six.

I do expect a lot of work on lane discipline and ST in general this week. It was the worst part of our game yesterday.

Htownsportsfan
09-10-2007, 10:38 PM
"Play ball control offense and have long time consuming TD drives."

7th ranked D...

It must have worked some last year as the Panthers finished 8-8, if the defense was not issue the offense must have been. I know its a new year but it is still early!

Smith is scary good though.

austintexanite
09-10-2007, 11:19 PM
I want to see how our secondary holds up against your recievers. Hopefully Boulware will be able to step in and play a lot better than he did in Seattle. I think we are going to have to incorporate more zone blitzes to try and create some ints. and keep Delhomme out of his rhythm. Also, I'd like to see how both of our lines play against yours. Our o-line showed some improvement against the Chiefs, but you guys have a better defensive line. I'm not very familiar with your o-line, but against the Rams you guys ran the ball pretty effective, and I think our d-line should be up to the test to shut down your running game. If we can make you guys one dimensional, we'll pull out the victory but, if you guys establish the run, that will make it very difficult. I say...20-17 Texans.

Panther90
09-11-2007, 06:25 AM
Steve Smith will get a lot of touches and your defense will have to roll coverage and keep safetey deep to defend against it. When that happens Jake will check off to runs with Zone blocking on Mario Williams and the left side of your D line. Foster will have a big day, as will Steve Smith.
You have a great reciever in Andre Johnson. He'll get plenty of catches but like Torry Holt, the scheme will be to contain him, and we'll do that. He'll get some big catches but not enough to be a dominating factor.
Panthers win convincingly.

JPEPP4PREZ
09-11-2007, 07:42 AM
What's the deal with your starting safety? Is he going to be out Sunday?

Texan_Bill
09-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Texans lose Simmons for rest of NFL season
7 hours ago

HOUSTON, United States (AFP) — Houston Texas safety Jason Simmons will miss the rest of the National Football League season after tearing a knee tendon in the team's season-opener on Sunday.

Simmons had surgery to repair a torn patellar tendon on Monday. He was hurt midway through the second quarter of the Texans' 20-3 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs.

The injury occurred in Simmons' first start with the Texans.

"He's been a successful player in this league for a long time," Houston coach Gary Kubiak said. "It was a great opportunity for him as a pro to start here, and he was doing a fine job. For that to happen is very disappointing."

Newly acquired safety Michael Boulware likely will take Simmons' place in the lineup.

Link to Article (http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5js3ISBGvusKjp_D0ugUEe9C81xkA)

Jackofalltrades
09-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Sorry to see that. We lost 3 for the year on opening day last season, thus a lot of the problems you saw on offense.

Texan_Bill
09-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Sorry to see that. We lost 3 for the year on opening day last season, thus a lot of the problems you saw on offense.

Ironically we will be starting our 3rd s. safety and yet it is only the second game of the season...?? Glen Earl, Simmons...

TEXANS84
09-11-2007, 09:08 AM
Ironically we will be starting our 3rd s. safety and yet it is only the second game of the season...?? Glen Earl, Simmons...

Hopefully Kubiak can speed up Bouleware for some production in this game, although Von did do a pretty decent job in there. I only saw one blown play by him on a 20 yard pass over Faggins.

powerfuldragon
09-11-2007, 09:19 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/TheKingOfBums/94b50b2a9cd07bb32680e9752942401a.jpg

The Pencil Neck
09-11-2007, 10:03 AM
What's the deal with your starting safety? Is he going to be out Sunday?

Our starting safety went out in the first preseason game. The guy that went out on Sunday was his backup.

Strangely enough, this gives us the safety tandem that a lot of us were asking for when our starting strong safety went down to begin with.

Mike Kerns
09-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Our starting safety went out in the first preseason game. The guy that went out on Sunday was his backup.

Strangely enough, this gives us the safety tandem that a lot of us were asking for when our starting strong safety went down to begin with.

No Kidding. Sometimes, Life works out . . .

JPEPP4PREZ
09-11-2007, 11:58 AM
No Kidding. Sometimes, Life works out . . .

Sometimes...

powerfuldragon
09-11-2007, 11:58 AM
dunta robinson.

JohnsonFan
09-11-2007, 03:14 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/TheKingOfBums/94b50b2a9cd07bb32680e9752942401a.jpg

love it, and isnt it the truth:fans:

HuttoKarl
09-11-2007, 03:54 PM
I don't think the Huddle could be any slower in activating accounts.

Anyway...I'd love to tell all Panthers fans that are calling us overconfident that KC fans were shooting their mouths about the same thing at this time last week. I'd also like for them to remember that it's been awhile since 2003 and last season, the Panthers didn't draft to far beyond us.

They're doing what all other teams outside of Jacksonville are going to do...take us lightly and get a nasty wakeup call.

Texan_Bill
09-11-2007, 03:58 PM

Anyway...I'd love to tell all Panthers fans that are calling us overconfident that KC fans were shooting their mouths about the same thing at this time last week. I'd also like for them to remember that it's been awhile since 2003 and last season, the Panthers didn't draft to far beyond us.

They're doing what all other teams outside of Jacksonville are going to do...take us lightly and get a nasty wakeup call.

I got activated in about half a day.... I see HOU-TEX, Texanfan and Overalls - over there.

HuttoKarl
09-11-2007, 04:05 PM
I got activated in about half a day.... I see HOU-TEX, Texanfan and Overalls - over there.

I saw some familiar faces....couldn't post....but they were there.

I guess after week 2, Indy fans will be saying "yeah but it was only the Chiefs and Panthers."

HOU-TEX
09-11-2007, 04:07 PM

Do you know who ThePrivate is? I'm disappointed in the way he's representing the Texans. Although, I reckon he's better than having this mattschaub#8 cat over there. :cool:

Texan_Bill
09-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Do you know who ThePrivate is? I'm disappointed in the way he's representing the Texans. Although, I reckon he's better than having this mattschaub#8 cat over there. :cool:

No... I can't figure out who it is either.

HuttoKarl
09-11-2007, 04:12 PM

I try to keep my same name or I get confused. the Private's not really my favorite poster.

Thorn
09-11-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm waiting for my account there to be activated. I registered as Thorn there. So, if I make as ass of myself there like I've done here, yall will know who it is. LOL

JPEPP4PREZ
09-12-2007, 08:42 AM

Expect to see more weapons than LJ and E. Kennison. D. Huard was throwing the ball, he isn't exactly all world. I'll give your defense props, they are a good unit, but our offense is anything but vanilla this year and expect a large dose of Rucker, Keamoeatu, Jenkins, and Peppers.

HuttoKarl
09-12-2007, 09:13 AM
Expect to see more weapons than LJ and E. Kennison. D. Huard was throwing the ball, he isn't exactly all world. I'll give your defense props, they are a good unit, but our offense is anything but vanilla this year and expect a large dose of Rucker, Keamoeatu, Jenkins, and Peppers.

I have no doubts that Carolina's going to be tougher than a 20-3 beatdown. Steve Smith is dangerous every play. You've got 1 nice back and one that'd be nice if he weren't made of styrofoam. Carolina's got a nice defense, but KC had a defense ranked pretty high as well, so I'm not going to lose sleep over that...although Carolina's best DE isn't suspended for two games.

I expect a tight game...and a Texans win. Will I be surprised if Carolina wins? No. I just think we'll take a close one.

JPEPP4PREZ
09-12-2007, 09:32 AM
I have no doubts that Carolina's going to be tougher than a 20-3 beatdown. Steve Smith is dangerous every play. You've got 1 nice back and one that'd be nice if he weren't made of styrofoam. Carolina's got a nice defense, but KC had a defense ranked pretty high as well, so I'm not going to lose sleep over that...although Carolina's best DE isn't suspended for two games.

I expect a tight game...and a Texans win. Will I be surprised if Carolina wins? No. I just think we'll take a close one.

I wouldn't sleep on D. Foster, he is running hard this year (including pre-season and TC). The O-Line is getting a good push with the ZBS allowing him to cut back and turn it up field. D. Williams is used differently, we try to get him in open space any way possible.

Dan B.
09-12-2007, 02:51 PM
I think this will be a close game, and will be low scoring. The Panthers are definitely a playoff caliber team (barring injury, of course) -- though I doubt they are Super Bowl caliber. Carolina will probably win, but it's a really good test for the Texans. I'm definitely worried about McKinney and Salaam in particular this week, and I think Schaub need to use Daniels or guick dumpoff passes a LOT this week to have a chance. If he can just find the guy who has the matchup advantage (I'm thinking Jacoby or Owen) and get it to them quickly we have a shot. I think Carolina is going to be monstrous at the line of scrimmage, particularly on defense, though I think there may be some going to sleep on our DL.
In the end, I suspect out ST is gonna have to be dominant, and we absolutely cannot turn the ball over. If those two break our way and Schaub is just competent in the pocket (I'm not worried about him by the way - just the left side of our OL) we could pull out a shocker, but I just think a veteran, healthy Carolina squad has a little too much on us right now.

Andrew6
09-12-2007, 03:20 PM
take no offense carolina fans but I actually lived in charleston SC when the Panthers came into being. I didn't care for them then and could care less about them now. Carolina people are decent folk and I wish your team the best after this weekend.
:texflag:
I was also here in houston for the birth of the Texans. I took immediately to them and will always will. Houston I believe is the best place in the U.S. diverse, cultured, and country. Heres to a good game on Sunday! GO TEXANS !!!!!

:rant: :logo: :texan:

thunderkyss
09-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Unless you guys are using a type of zone blocking that I'm not familiar with, the ZBS only comes into play on running plays.
We had this discussion many times last year, when people mistakenly thought the ZBS affected the pass blocking. I could be mistaken, of course... The scheme we use could be different, and also, we seem to have moved away from a ZBS as our main blocking scheme. I think the staff came to realize that our personnel aren't the best for that scheme.
One of you Texan Talkers correct me if I'm wrong on that, and maybe one of you with a better understanding of the whole thing could expand on it...

Zone Blocking is used in the passing game as well. In fact, one of the benefits of running a ZBS, is that the defenders can't tell if it's a run or a pass after the first step, as it will be the same in either case.

But we don't run a true ZBS. We're still running a WCO though.

Texan_Bill
09-12-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm waiting for my account there to be activated. I registered as Thorn there. So, if I make as ass of myself there like I've done here, yall will know who it is. LOL

Beleive me, compared to some of those a-holes over there, you CAN'T make an ass out of yourself...

76Texan
09-12-2007, 04:06 PM
*Disclaimer: I'm no football expert.*

Both the Texans and the Panthers come into this game as winners over opponents who had several key players either missing or not 100% healthy.

At least, the turnovers that the Texans caused were from hard hits, while Jackson's 2 fumbles were his own carelessness and also Holt did a bad job blocking on one.

Nevertheless, the Panthers will be a favorite, playing at home.

On defense, it seems the Panthers have no glaring weakness, except maybe the safeties, quite similar to the Texans.

Both offenses still have question marks, though at different positions.
For the Texans, it's the line. But we have the edge at WR+TE as a group.

The Panthers seem to play well against teams with a vertical passing game (Colts, Rams, Ravens, Pats, Chargers), but they have had their shares of problems against teams running the WCO and/or the ZBS (Eagles, Packers, Falcons, Broncos) such that Davidson has implemented the same ZBS this year, I've heard.

I read that they will try more screens to the RBs and also the flare out pass to the TE (which they did in the last game.)
In another word, these two teams look more similar than different.
There was also the same reverse to the WR (Steve Smith/Jacoby Jones).
The play action pass (Steve Smith/ AJ).

Schaub has the advantage to have seen the Panthers from the sideline a lot.
The little amount he played against them was in garbage time, with the Falcons behind 0-30 or something like that, I doubt that Fox remembers him at all.

Perhaps Fox' one gap defensive attacking scheme plays right into the offense ZBS. The Panthers' own implementation could also serve the purpose for their D to get more accustomed by seeing it everyday in practice, and adjust accordingly (??)

Our defense (Texans) looks eerily similar, if only younger up front.
The pass rush mostly comes off the edge. Mario, a young Peppers
Inside, Okoye a young Jenkins.
Demeco a young Morgan.
The backfields are also quite similar.
Neither team rely on the blitz, but the Panthers show quite a few different looks which we didn't have last year.
However, this year, with depth on the front 7, we had done the same in the KC game. I venture to say that we have more depth with Kalu, Orr, Maddox, Cochran, and Zgonina, we can get to their QB in the 2nd half. We need to keep the game close, or hopefully stay ahead with ST play.

On paper, it looks like the Panthers have the edge, but we do have more speed overall.
The Texans need to have a better ST performance.
Jacoby and Mathis should be calmer this week. Let them loose!
Both Turk & Brown started the season very well and we need them to continue to do so.
That is how I think, we may be able to pull out the upset. :fans: :d:

Exithios
09-12-2007, 04:36 PM
*Disclaimer: I'm no football expert.*

Both the Texans and the Panthers come into this game as winners over opponents who had several key players either missing or not 100% healthy.

At least, the turnovers that the Texans caused were from hard hits, while Jackson's 2 fumbles were his own carelessness and also Holt did a bad job blocking on one.

Nevertheless, the Panthers will be a favorite, playing at home.

On defense, it seems the Panthers have no glaring weakness, except maybe the safeties, quite similar to the Texans.

Both offenses still have question marks, though at different positions.
For the Texans, it's the line. But we have the edge at WR+TE as a group.

The Panthers seem to play well against teams with a vertical passing game (Colts, Rams, Ravens, Pats, Chargers), but they have had their shares of problems against teams running the WCO and/or the ZBS (Eagles, Packers, Falcons, Broncos) such that Davidson has implemented the same ZBS this year, I've heard.

I read that they will try more screens to the RBs and also the flare out pass to the TE (which they did in the last game.)
In another word, these two teams look more similar than different.
There was also the same reverse to the WR (Steve Smith/Jacoby Jones).
The play action pass (Steve Smith/ AJ).

Schaub has the advantage to have seen the Panthers from the sideline a lot.
The little amount he played against them was in garbage time, with the Falcons behind 0-30 or something like that, I doubt that Fox remembers him at all.

Perhaps Fox' one gap defensive attacking scheme plays right into the offense ZBS. The Panthers' own implementation could also serve the purpose for their D to get more accustomed by seeing it everyday in practice, and adjust accordingly (??)

Our defense (Texans) looks eerily similar, if only younger up front.
The pass rush mostly comes off the edge. Mario, a young Peppers
Inside, Okoye a young Jenkins.
Demeco a young Morgan.
The backfields are also quite similar.
Neither team rely on the blitz, but the Panthers show quite a few different looks which we didn't have last year.
However, this year, with depth on the front 7, we had done the same in the KC game. I venture to say that we have more depth with Kalu, Orr, Maddox, Cochran, and Zgonina, we can get to their QB in the 2nd half. We need to keep the game close, or hopefully stay ahead with ST play.

On paper, it looks like the Panthers have the edge, but we do have more speed overall.
The Texans need to have a better ST performance.
Jacoby and Mathis should be calmer this week. Let them loose!
Both Turk & Brown started the season very well and we need them to continue to do so.
That is how I think, we may be able to pull out the upset. :fans: :d:

Very well thought-out assessment. This should be a battle to the end. I believe that the victory in this game may very well be decided by special teams (i.e field goals or a return for a TD).

brakos82
09-12-2007, 05:21 PM
I believe that the victory in this game may very well be decided by special teams (i.e field goals or a return for a TD).

In that case we win :fans:

DirtyCotton
09-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Brakos what would make you think you have an advantage on ST. We have arguably the leagues best punter, a poised veteran kicker with big game experiance, and both teams have rookies returning punts and kicks. It would seem the advantage lies with the panthers in this area.

The Pencil Neck
09-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Brakos what would make you think you have an advantage on ST. We have arguably the leagues best punter, a poised veteran kicker with big game experiance, and both teams have rookies returning punts and kicks. It would seem the advantage lies with the panthers in this area.

We also arguably have the league's best punter. Right now, they're ranked 1 and 2. We have a veteran pro bowl kick returner (Mathis) and a rookie punt returner (Jones) who returned 2 for TD's in the preseason.

Shaft75
09-13-2007, 01:39 AM
Beleive me, compared to some of those a-holes over there, you CAN'T make an ass out of yourself...

Yeah, but Bill I haven't logged in yet...

whiskeyrbl
09-13-2007, 04:44 AM
We also arguably have the league's best punter. Right now, they're ranked 1 and 2. We have a veteran pro bowl kick returner (Mathis) and a rookie punt returner (Jones) who returned 2 for TD's in the preseason.
Yeah, take that.

TexansSeminole
09-13-2007, 12:22 PM
I think the Panthers will be a bit similiar to the Chiefs in that they only have one guy on offense who is a real game breaker. If we can shut down Steve Smith or limit his yards I should say, we will have a good chance of winning the game. Dunta Robinson should shadow Steve Smith all game and play his side of the field. The Panthers have a pretty good running game but it isn't anything that we cannot handle. I see us keeping them pretty low in rushing yards, it's the passing yards I am worried about.

Jackofalltrades
09-13-2007, 12:31 PM
Our punter was ranked 1st or 2nd in the NFC for net yards and our PUNT coverage looks very good. The kick coverage looked just ok last week and tightened up after the long return by Hall.

Our PR is highly touted, despite having a weak debut last week. Maybe we'll see more, maybe not, I don't have a clue to be honest.

76Texan- very good post, reasonable, intelligent and pretty accurate to be based, partly, on opinion.

infantrycak
09-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Zone Blocking is used in the passing game as well. In fact, one of the benefits of running a ZBS, is that the defenders can't tell if it's a run or a pass after the first step, as it will be the same in either case.

Different concept and implementing ZBS for the running game doesn't mean you are zone locking on pass protection.

Link (http://espn.go.com/ncf/columns/davie/1440703.html)

JohnsonFan
09-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Our punter was ranked 1st or 2nd in the NFC for net yards and our PUNT coverage looks very good. The kick coverage looked just ok last week and tightened up after the long return by Hall.

Our PR is highly touted, despite having a weak debut last week. Maybe we'll see more, maybe not, I don't have a clue to be honest.

76Texan- very good post, reasonable, intelligent and pretty accurate to be based, partly, on opinion.u know what thats great, u have great punter good for ya

Jackofalltrades
09-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Another intelligent post from you, who woulda thunk it?

ZBS is something we are employing, but not full time. We mix it with man blocking still. We don't have the typical undersized line that it requires, we just have the good fortune of having an athletic line.

Heard Mario is lining up on the ride side now, so he'll be against Travelle Wharton who's very solid, but coming off of a season ending knee injury. I'm sure Davidson will roll help his way if he needs it, given Jake's penchant for fumbling when he gets hit from the blind side.

The Pencil Neck
09-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Heard Mario is lining up on the ride side now, so he'll be against Travelle Wharton who's very solid, but coming off of a season ending knee injury. I'm sure Davidson will roll help his way if he needs it, given Jake's penchant for fumbling when he gets hit from the blind side.

Mario bounces around depending on the situation.

Jackofalltrades
09-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Ah, who would have thought that ESPN would be wrong. They said Mario was now situated on the right side...

Jackofalltrades
09-13-2007, 09:01 PM
I do have to give Texas some credit for producing Ron "Tater Salad" White, one of the funniest men on Earth.

The Pencil Neck
09-13-2007, 09:07 PM
Ah, who would have thought that ESPN would be wrong. They said Mario was now situated on the right side...

Yeah, they're at least 3 games behind.

We moved him around a lot last year and he played with plantar fascitis for over half the season. The coaches were saying that they were going to let him concentrate on playing right end this year at the beginning of training camp. We have new d-line coaches and they wanted to make sure he wasn't being overloaded with information. By the 3rd preseason game, Mario was back to moving all around.

Both of his sacks against the Chiefs and his fumble return came from the left end position.

Jackofalltrades
09-14-2007, 06:38 AM
Good, that makes me feel better. I hate sacks from the blindside. Panthers were careful with Peppers, they left him at LDE and then, once he had a real grasp on it, they tacked on other responsibilities. You'll see Peppers in coverage this week as well as switching from right to left.

The Pencil Neck
09-14-2007, 09:03 AM
Good, that makes me feel better. I hate sacks from the blindside. Panthers were careful with Peppers, they left him at LDE and then, once he had a real grasp on it, they tacked on other responsibilities. You'll see Peppers in coverage this week as well as switching from right to left.

You'll actually see our DT's dropping into coverage occasionally. I was surprised when I watched the Chief game the second time (paying closer attention to the lines) to see even our rook, Amobi Okoye, dropping into coverage a few times. On the last interception of the game, our DT (Travis Johnson) started to rush, saw the RB releasing as a dropdown and stepped in front of him for the pick.

Jackofalltrades
09-14-2007, 12:38 PM
You definitely have a talented and young bunch, it seems as though the sky's the limit in Houston. Good luck with that...

...after this week. :)

Cats
09-14-2007, 08:40 PM
I think the Panthers will be a bit similiar to the Chiefs in that they only have one guy on offense who is a real game breaker. If we can shut down Steve Smith or limit his yards I should say, we will have a good chance of winning the game. Dunta Robinson should shadow Steve Smith all game and play his side of the field. The Panthers have a pretty good running game but it isn't anything that we cannot handle. I see us keeping them pretty low in rushing yards, it's the passing yards I am worried about.

Ok, not sure what would lead you to draw that comparison.....KC is w/o question one of the worst teams in the league this year. ongrats on the win but KC is what they are.....a very bad football team. We have a new offensive coordinator and things looked very sharp in the opener. Carolina has brought back the TE for the first time in years and the new blocking scheme finally looks to help our RBs. Unless you get a lot of pressure on Delhomme I can see the Texans having trouble matching the points being put on the board.

spurstexanstros
09-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Ok, not sure what would lead you to draw that comparison.....KC is w/o question one of the worst teams in the league this year. ongrats on the win but KC is what they are.....a very bad football team. We have a new offensive coordinator and things looked very sharp in the opener. Carolina has brought back the TE for the first time in years and the new blocking scheme finally looks to help our RBs. Unless you get a lot of pressure on Delhomme I can see the Texans having trouble matching the points being put on the board.

Hi gokats nice to see you here as well. Again Carolina and jacksonville are carbon copies of each other. We have had great sucess against the jags and I believe we beat the panthers last time. I do not see reasons why it would change. Carolina Jaguars, Jacksonville panthers same thing IMOP

Cats
09-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Hi gokats nice to see you here as well. Again Carolina and jacksonville are carbon copies of each other. We have had great sucess against the jags and I believe we beat the panthers last time. I do not see reasons why it would change. Carolina Jaguars, Jacksonville panthers same thing IMOP

Let's see, the Jags have a great running game no passing attack and Carolina has only had passing attack the past two years. With the exception of both playing solid D I don't see the comparison in the same light as you. The only difference in the Panthers offense is that it appears to be more balanced under the new offensive coordinator this year......we appear to actually have somewhat of a running attack this year. Last time you beat us was in 03 when we went to the superbowl, I think it might be reasonable to assume the Panthers had an off day our last meeting but that is just my opinion.

spurstexanstros
09-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Let's see, the Jags have a great running game no passing attack and Carolina has only had passing attack the past two years. With the exception of both playing solid D I don't see the comparison in the same light as you. The only difference in the Panthers offense is that it appears to be more balanced under the new offensive coordinator this year......we appear to actually have somewhat of a running attack this year. Last time you beat us was in 03 when we went to the superbowl, I think it might be reasonable to assume the Panthers had an off day our last meeting but that is just my opinion.

As you said before the panthers have more talent and that is why they will win. The panthers were better then, the Texans still beat them. What , I think you fail to see is that the Texans are better than 03, while Carolina is still the same team they were then if not on the downward trend. As the saying goesTEXANS RISING.

Cats
09-14-2007, 09:06 PM
As you said before the panthers have more talent and that is why they will win. The panthers were better then, the Texans still beat them. What , I think you fail to see is that the Texans are better than 03, while Carolina is still the same team they were then if not on the downward trend. As the saying goesTEXANS RISING.

i agree the Texans are improved. however, I think too much stock is being put in a win over what could be the worst team in the NFL this year (KC). Houston still has to prove they can protect a QB against a good defense and that the recent injuries on your DL aren't too much. All I was saying is that your Jag comparison is inaccurate b/c they have been polar opposites the past two years.

Reason why I think the Panthers will win? King and Jenkins, two guys that will have the greatest impact on the game for the Panthers and two guys who are far down on your list to worry about. Good luck Sunday. I think Schuab will be tough in another two years.

spurstexanstros
09-14-2007, 10:19 PM
i agree the Texans are improved. however, I think too much stock is being put in a win over what could be the worst team in the NFL this year (KC). Houston still has to prove they can protect a QB against a good defense and that the recent injuries on your DL aren't too much. All I was saying is that your Jag comparison is inaccurate b/c they have been polar opposites the past two years.

Reason why I think the Panthers will win? King and Jenkins, two guys that will have the greatest impact on the game for the Panthers and two guys who are far down on your list to worry about. Good luck Sunday. I think Schuab will be tough in another two years.

If straud and henderson give the Texans o-line no trouble. why should these guys. Oh And delhomme will be out of the league in two years if not this one. Why else would they pay so much for a back up?

JohnsonFan
09-14-2007, 10:34 PM
......well, either way we will win this hands down

Cats
09-14-2007, 11:26 PM
If straud and henderson give the Texans o-line no trouble. why should these guys. Oh And delhomme will be out of the league in two years if not this one. Why else would they pay so much for a back up?

your probably right, you have no reason to worry about Peppers. Also, last time Jenkins was healthy he was considered one of the best, if not the best at DT......I guess I don't need to tell you that for the first time in three years he is healthy(and looking in old form). Your proven OL should leave no doubts in anyone's mind, those poor performances are simply all Carr. Come on, I got no problem with you thinking the Texans can win but acting like you got a top notch OL is a tad delusional don't you think?

your right about Jake, he is garbage. He has only lead the Panthers to 2 NFC Championship games and a Superbowl appearance in the past 4 years. What has Schuab done besides beat what could be the worst team in the NFL once. Again, having confidence in your team is great but you gotta keep things in perspective.

BUM-BUM bum *piano music plays*

Bud Light Presents: Real Men of Genius.

Today we salute you Mr. Overzealous Texan Fan.
*Mr. Overzealous Texan Fan*

Anyone can see you beat the Chiefs, but only a true Texan fan will brag about it as if they just won the Superbowl...
*Congrats on beating the Chiefs, whats a Superbowl?*

In the NFL they say a win is a win, and even though it was the Chiefs you claim you are starting off strong. Off to your best year ever. The sky is the limit.
*Our best season was 7-9*

Sitting on a Message Board. Bragging. Chest Thumping. You are comparing our Back up QB with your starter. You go into this weeks game confident of a win.
*Matt Schaub just cured cancer*

So crack open an ice cold bud light, oh fan of the fanless, because even though you're 1-0, you're still gonna lose on Sunday.
*Another year of mediocrity*

(real men credit goes to poster Panthro at CH)

The Pencil Neck
09-14-2007, 11:50 PM
your probably right, you have no reason to worry about Peppers. Also, last time Jenkins was healthy he was considered one of the best, if not the best at DT......I guess I don't need to tell you that for the first time in three years he is healthy(and looking in old form). Your proven OL should leave no doubts in anyone's mind, those poor performances are simply all Carr. Come on, I got no problem with you thinking the Texans can win but acting like you got a top notch OL is a tad delusional don't you think?

your right about Jake, he is garbage. He has only lead the Panthers to 2 NFC Championship games and a Superbowl appearance in the past 4 years. What has Schuab done besides beat what could be the worst team in the NFL once. Again, having confidence in your team is great but you gotta keep things in perspective.

This has been a source of much debate on these forums for years.

But basically... yeah. Our line is about average. It's not a great line.

But Carr made our line look really, really bad. I'd wager about 10-12 sacks last year were all Carr's fault. He really was that bad. Time after time, he would go back, not see open receivers, panic, and then run into a d-lineman. Most of the time, he had plenty of time. And despite what a lot of people believe, over 40% of our passes were 5 step drops, not the 1 or 3 step drops trying to get the ball out before the rush ate him up. The last half of last year, we finished 4-4 even though our QB only threw 2 TDs (and one of those was in the last couple of minutes in a game that was already lost.) We won a game where we had -5 net passing yards. IF Schaub is an average QB, then he's a major upgrade to what we had last year and because of that, we expect the sky to be the limit.

Your defense is very good and you've got some great players on your line. But don't try to make it sound like our line hasn't seen a lot of great d-linemen over the past year. You're not going to show us anything we haven't seen before. We've played 4 defenses that were rated higher than yours last year and we went 4-1 against them.

And yeah Delhomme has done really well and Steve Smith is a freak and you've got some other good players on your team. But you're not the Colts. You think that Delhomme and Smith are going to astound us with how incredible they are? They're really good and they're going to be hard to stop but they're not the best group of offensive players that we're going to play this year or have played in the past year.

So, I expect it to be a really hard fought game. You guys are a good team... BUT... and this is what a lot of people don't believe, yet... we're a good team now as well.

YellerLotYeller
09-15-2007, 12:08 AM
Panthers have an above average O-Line, but if Jake goes down(I never wish that on anyone), you will see how bad Carr can make an O-Line look.

Cats
09-15-2007, 12:13 AM
This has been a source of much debate on these forums for years.

But basically... yeah. Our line is about average. It's not a great line.

But Carr made our line look really, really bad. I'd wager about 10-12 sacks last year were all Carr's fault. He really was that bad. Time after time, he would go back, not see open receivers, panic, and then run into a d-lineman. Most of the time, he had plenty of time. And despite what a lot of people believe, over 40% of our passes were 5 step drops, not the 1 or 3 step drops trying to get the ball out before the rush ate him up. The last half of last year, we finished 4-4 even though our QB only threw 2 TDs (and one of those was in the last couple of minutes in a game that was already lost.) We won a game where we had -5 net passing yards. IF Schaub is an average QB, then he's a major upgrade to what we had last year and because of that, we expect the sky to be the limit.

Your defense is very good and you've got some great players on your line. But don't try to make it sound like our line hasn't seen a lot of great d-linemen over the past year. You're not going to show us anything we haven't seen before. We've played 4 defenses that were rated higher than yours last year and we went 4-1 against them.

And yeah Delhomme has done really well and Steve Smith is a freak and you've got some other good players on your team. But you're not the Colts. You think that Delhomme and Smith are going to astound us with how incredible they are? They're really good and they're going to be hard to stop but they're not the best group of offensive players that we're going to play this year or have played in the past year.

So, I expect it to be a really hard fought game. You guys are a good team... BUT... and this is what a lot of people don't believe, yet... we're a good team now as well.

I hear ya, and I like the improvement the Texans are making....definately a team headed in the right direction. The only concern I have is that some are acting like the team has officially turned the corner. I don't think week 1 against the Cheifs shows anything. They are just plain bad. I think after the first 4 weeks of play you will get your answer on Carr vs. the OL......too early to tell if you ask me.

You guys have a good shot at the Panthers, you just gotta know how to beat us. You are going to have to gamble on giving up some big plays in the passing game.......major pressue on Jake is how to beat us. If Jake has time, he can and will pick a team apart. The key is not stopping Smith. It is stopping everyone else and making Jake think he only has one option. However, our new offensive coordinator appears to be correcting this huge flaw that has haunted us the past two seasons. Good luck and I like your board. I hope I haven't offended anyone by participating or sharing the "real men of genious" post.

Cats
09-15-2007, 12:17 AM
Panthers have an above average O-Line, but if Jake goes down(I never wish that on anyone), you will see how bad Carr can make an O-Line look.

I agree. We don't want to see that. Jake catches to much crap and overall has done a great job in Carolina. Watching Carr in the preseason you can tell he doesn't handle pressure that well, and that was against 2nd stringers. We need a happy medium between the 2. Jake isn't scared at all in the pocket and will sit there all day. In the past, Jake has really hurt us staying in the pocket too long and not sensing the pressure on his blind side.

The Pencil Neck
09-15-2007, 12:29 AM
I hear ya, and I like the improvement the Texans are making....definately a team headed in the right direction. The only concern I have is that some are acting like the team has officially turned the corner. I don't think week 1 against the Cheifs shows anything. They are just plain bad. I think after the first 4 weeks of play you will get your answer on Carr vs. the OL......too early to tell if you ask me.

You guys have a good shot at the Panthers, you just gotta know how to beat us. You are going to have to gamble on giving up some big plays in the passing game.......major pressue on Jake is how to beat us. If Jake has time, he can and will pick a team apart. The key is not stopping Smith. It is stopping everyone else and making Jake think he only has one option. However, our new offensive coordinator appears to be correcting this huge flaw that has haunted us the past two seasons. Good luck and I like your board. I hope I haven't offended anyone by participating or sharing the "real men of genious" post.

No, no. No offense. :)

There was another Panther fan we were talking to and what was interesting is that our defenses are actually very similar. In the game against the Chiefs, we only blitzed 1 time. Our defensive coordinator wants us to be a team that only brings 4 the majority of the time. Occasionally, you'll see a lineman drop into coverage.

With our problems at safety, I was really afraid of Gonzalez eating us up in the middle of the field but we were able to hold him in check.

But, I don't need the Chiefs game to give me the answer on Carr. I've seen enough game film to give me the answer on that.

The Chiefs were a really good warm-up game for us. We're still a young team and Schaub needs more game experience before we'll see what he can do. He forced a throw into the endzone that ended up getting intercepted and he had another TD deflected by a great play by a Chief defender. After starting 2 games prior to this and losing both of them, I think that game was good for his confidence. I think he's going to play well against the Panthers. And keep your eye on both Owen Daniels (our TE) and Jacoby Jones (our rook WR). They didn't do much last game but they're both very talented and I expect big games from them... just maybe not THIS game.

Anyway, if we don't talk again, here's to a tough, injury-free game! Have a great rest of the season... except for this game. :fans:

DBCooper
09-15-2007, 12:20 PM
I think Schuab will be tough in another two years.

I think Schaub will be tough on Sunday.

TexansLucky13
09-15-2007, 01:19 PM
I can't wait for Carr to come in when Delhomme gets his block knocked off by ND "Karate Man" Kalu or Super Mario.

:splits:

Cats
09-15-2007, 01:32 PM
I can't wait for Carr to come in when Delhomme gets his block knocked off by ND "Karate Man" Kalu or Super Mario.

:splits:

very few teams place so much attention on a backup QB, not sure I understand the fixation so many of you have on our current back up. Granted, he didn't have much success in Houston but it seems you guys are using him as a scapegoat to some degree and placing all your prior failures on his shoulders. We will see the next few weeks if you guys are right but at this point I would have to say the rest of your team bears an equal portion of the blame.

The Pencil Neck
09-15-2007, 01:57 PM
very few teams place so much attention on a backup QB, not sure I understand the fixation so many of you have on our current back up. Granted, he didn't have much success in Houston but it seems you guys are using him as a scapegoat to some degree and placing all your prior failures on his shoulders. We will see the next few weeks if you guys are right but at this point I would have to say the rest of your team bears an equal portion of the blame.

We have a lot of time and energy invested in your backup. It's going to take a while for us to get over him. He was the main topic of conversation on this board for 5 years. Did you guys immediately stop talking about Kerry Collins after he left? Or did it take at least a few months? Playing the Panthers so soon just brought up all those old threads and debates while everything is still fresh.

Many of us defended Carr for years saying that he was having problems because of the lack of talent around him. Up until the halfway point of last season, I was one of those people. It's the line's fault for not blocking better. It's his receiver's fault for not getting open. It's the coaches' fault for not gameplanning better or calling better plays or teaching him better. But after changing all those people out and actually looking at the game film eventually you realize that the common denominator there is responsible for a LOT of those problems. (Not ALL, but a lot.)

You're standing on the outside and you see some of the hard feelings that we have for Carr and you think we're some sort of lynch-mob looking for the easy victim to string up, but that's not really the case. We were stringing up everyone BUT Carr for years and years. Many of us believed in him for a long, long time and against almost impossible odds.

And it still hurts that we were wrong.

Cats
09-15-2007, 02:19 PM
We have a lot of time and energy invested in your backup. It's going to take a while for us to get over him. He was the main topic of conversation on this board for 5 years. Did you guys immediately stop talking about Kerry Collins after he left? Or did it take at least a few months? Playing the Panthers so soon just brought up all those old threads and debates while everything is still fresh.

Many of us defended Carr for years saying that he was having problems because of the lack of talent around him. Up until the halfway point of last season, I was one of those people. It's the line's fault for not blocking better. It's his receiver's fault for not getting open. It's the coaches' fault for not gameplanning better or calling better plays or teaching him better. But after changing all those people out and actually looking at the game film eventually you realize that the common denominator there is responsible for a LOT of those problems. (Not ALL, but a lot.)

I understand, on our side though it just seems like some Houston fans are still a little too fixated on Carr but I haven't experienced him. Collins did leave with most fans furious at him. It was a love hate relationship since he did lead us to our first NFC Championship game is first year.

You're standing on the outside and you see some of the hard feelings that we have for Carr and you think we're some sort of lynch-mob looking for the easy victim to string up, but that's not really the case. We were stringing up everyone BUT Carr for years and years. Many of us believed in him for a long, long time and against almost impossible odds.

And it still hurts that we were wrong.

I understand, it just seems that some in Houston are still hating on the man 24-7. Collins did go out with most hating him. It was a love hate relationship however since he did lead us to our first NFC Championship game his 2nd year. We will see, there will be a lot of questions answered for both of our teams, regardless of who wins. I don't put much into week 1 anymore.

Been nice chatting and good luck. Hopefully no injuries. I'll try to stop in on Sunday and thanks for the use of your board.

The Pencil Neck
09-15-2007, 02:21 PM
I understand, it just seems that some in Houston are still hating on the man 24-7. Collins did go out with most hating him. It was a love hate relationship however since he did lead us to our first NFC Championship game his 2nd year. We will see, there will be a lot of questions answered for both of our teams, regardless of who wins. I don't put much into week 1 anymore.

Been nice chatting and good luck. Hopefully no injuries. I'll try to stop in on Sunday and thanks for the use of your board.

Good luck. It's been nice. Let's have a good, healthy game!

Panthers87
09-15-2007, 11:21 PM
First off, I want to say hats off on a great win last week against the Chiefs! I wanted to stop by and say goodluck to you on Sunday...I'm looking forward to a great game! The defense has turned it around and the new #8 looked good last sunday. I hate about the injuries this week to your D, I hope none are serious and keeps anyone from playing sunday! Alot of teams will underestimate you as a team because of the past, but I am not underestimating the Texans...the past is the past and you have the ability to turn into a top team in this league. Just wanted to stop by and say good luck and I'm looking forward to a great game!

GuerillaBlack
09-15-2007, 11:29 PM
And they start coming in droves. I think these new threads should be merged with the existing Panther threads.

Welcome to the board though! You have better typing skills than your other little Carolina friends.

Panthers87
09-15-2007, 11:32 PM
And they start coming in droves. I think these new threads should be merged with the existing Panther threads.

Welcome to the board though! You have better typing skills than your other little Carolina friends.

Sorry, I didn't see the other thread until I had already posted this one

Thorn
09-15-2007, 11:46 PM
You definitely have a talented and young bunch, it seems as though the sky's the limit in Houston. Good luck with that...

...after this week. :)

You guys have a nice BBS, it's been nice posting a few times with yall this week. Hopefully tomorrow no one goes down with an injury.

Or a camera. http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The Pencil Neck
09-16-2007, 12:29 AM
First off, I want to say hats off on a great win last week against the Chiefs! I wanted to stop by and say goodluck to you on Sunday...I'm looking forward to a great game! The defense has turned it around and the new #8 looked good last sunday. I hate about the injuries this week to your D, I hope none are serious and keeps anyone from playing sunday! Alot of teams will underestimate you as a team because of the past, but I am not underestimating the Texans...the past is the past and you have the ability to turn into a top team in this league. Just wanted to stop by and say good luck and I'm looking forward to a great game!

Welcome and thank you and congrats on your win against the Rams.

Hopefully, we can sneak up on you guys. Here's to a great game and no injuries!

whiskeyrbl
09-16-2007, 06:23 AM

Welcome, and GL, and no injuries please.

Jackofalltrades
09-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Ok guys, I was wrong. Your team is much better than I gave you credit for. While the Panthers didn't play their best, you can't take anything away from your team.

After the opening few drives you controlled every phase of the game and most importantly, dominated the line of scrimmage.

Congrats on a well deserved win, I wish you the best of luck for the rest of the season.

GuerillaBlack
09-16-2007, 05:09 PM
I will give you rep as the only Panther fan to come back.

NitroGSXR
09-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Ok guys, I was wrong. Your team is much better than I gave you credit for. While the Panthers didn't play their best, you can't take anything away from your team.

After the opening few drives you controlled every phase of the game and most importantly, dominated the line of scrimmage.

Congrats on a well deserved win, I wish you the best of luck for the rest of the season.
I certainly hope you return. You're a solid poster who came in to talk football. You're definitely welcome here anytime mate! Great game for the Texans!

Jackofalltrades
09-16-2007, 05:14 PM
I'd be glad to come back, after the close game between Indy and TN, Jacksonville's problems and some other question marks in the AFC, the Texans will have a shot to snap a WC spot.

I talk smack, sometimes, but there's no excuse to talk smack before the game and not be a good sport afterwards.

Most of the Texan fans were classy and respectful, I appreciate your hospitality.

YellerLotYeller
09-16-2007, 05:18 PM
I'd be glad to come back, after the close game between Indy and TN, Jacksonville's problems and some other question marks in the AFC, the Texans will have a shot to snap a WC spot.

I talk smack, sometimes, but there's no excuse to talk smack before the game and not be a good sport afterwards.

Most of the Texan fans were classy and respectful, I appreciate your hospitality.

Stay Classy Carolina....

http://www.evenison.com/images/interviews/careers/mike-mcmoil/anchorman.jpg

DBCooper
09-16-2007, 05:23 PM
The only concern I have is that some are acting like the team has officially turned the corner. I don't think week 1 against the Cheifs shows anything. They are just plain bad.

We haven't turned the corner, we've left the freakin road!

Bueller?.........Bueller?.........

infantrycak
09-16-2007, 06:19 PM

Fantastic visiting fan. Good luck in the rest of the season.

Seņor Stan
09-16-2007, 07:47 PM

Nice job coming back to the board after the loss.

If you would have told me before the game that Jake would throw for 300+ and Steve Smith would catch 3TD passes, I would have predicted a long day for the Texans.

Best of luck the rest of the seasons