PDA

View Full Version : Rule Question (D-Rob pick)

Yankee_In_TX
09-09-2007, 09:21 PM
So when D-Rob got tripped up after his pick at the end of the first half, took a step or two, and then fell (I re-watched, his knee did touch), this counts for down by contact? ANy elaboration would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

JohnsonFan
09-09-2007, 09:25 PM
some one would have to touch him form the oposing team

The Pencil Neck
09-09-2007, 09:27 PM
So when D-Rob got tripped up after his pick at the end of the first half, took a step or two, and then fell (I re-watched, his knee did touch), this counts for down by contact? ANy elaboration would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I haven't went back and looked but I assume the ruling is that the contact with the Chief is what caused him to go down. So they called him down by contact.

jaybird
09-09-2007, 09:28 PM

Yes... as long as he got tripped by a Chief then he would be down. If he tripped on his own or by his teammates he can get up and run.

TheIronDuke
09-09-2007, 09:32 PM
It's like how Mario recovered the fumble and was down but no Chief touched him and he made his way to the endzone. You can roll on the ground as much as you want but you're not down until an opponent touches you. I think the NCAA has a different ruling on it though.

The Pencil Neck
09-09-2007, 09:33 PM
It's like how Mario recovered the fumble and was down but no Chief touched him and he made his way to the endzone. You can roll on the ground as much as you want but you're not down until an opponent touches you. I think the NCAA has a different ruling on it though.

Yeah, in the NCAA if you're down, the play is over.

TheIronDuke
09-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Yeah, in the NCAA if you're down, the play is over.

That's what I thought. Seems to me that football rules should be universal.

The Pencil Neck
09-09-2007, 09:45 PM
That's what I thought. Seems to me that football rules should be universal.

Yeah, it was funny in... I think it was... Plaxico Burress' first year, he caught a pass and fell down. No one had touched him. He jumped up and spiked the ball. The other team recovered it as a fumble. I always watch rookies expecting them to make that mistake.